• Published 6th Sep 2014
  • 2,531 Views, 134 Comments

New Faces, New Friends - ZephyrStrife



Fire burning in the depths of a frozen wasteland, our heroes will need to overcome the challenges of a whole new world!

  • ...
6
 134
 2,531

Chapter 13

-A Few Days Later- (17 of 19)

Professor Elm smiled as he watched the small 'adventuring party' getting their gear together. "This reminds me so much of when you first received Emma, Didn't your mother stuff your bag so full of medical supplies you could hardly walk?" He chuckles a little as he helped the little Cyndaquil with a messenger bag.

Mick nods with a laugh of his own. "Yeah, I'm surprised that I made it to New Bark town when I did." The slowking began packing a few jars of the orange juice into the bag.

"So, how long do you think you'll be away?"

Mick shrugged, "I can't say for sure, but we do have to leave soon to catch the train."

"Yes... Yes, of course, wouldn't want you to be late for that would we." Elm chuckled as everyone finished packing. "And you'll be asking about my research notes...?" He asked a bit nervously. "I wouldn't want to feel like too much of a bother..."

Mick shook his head with a smile, "It's not a problem Professor, I'm sure the natives of this world would benefit greatly from your research... and I'm pretty sure that they'd be happy to help look into more than what you already have. Just keep your family company, wouldn't want them to think you forgot to eat while researching again."

Elm gave him a good-natured glare. "Fine, just try not to get hurt, we don't know how well our new bodies compare to those who were born and bred to be competitive battlers."

"Don't worry Professor, We'll be sure to stay safe." Mick replied with a nod as he strapped his pouch of needles to his sides, which caused the professor to give him a curious look.

"Um... Mick, I'm not sure I remember you ever needing..." He paused with a slight gulp. "...Such long needles before."

"Oh those?" Mick took a look down at the pouches. "They're typically more of a surprise weapon... Since they're only really effective if you hit someone in specific places."

"Well... Where did you learn to use them?"

"My dad taught me, There's a few types of pokemon that are a real pain to use these on, but many pokemon can actually be stopped from a rampage if you get just one of these needles in the right place."

"MICK! We need to go!" Emma called out as she opened the front door.

"Right... Professor? Give my regards to your family, we should be back soon with your research notes."

The slowking gave a small chuckle and smile as he watched the young adventurer leave. "Yes... I know you will."


The train itself was very simplistic in design, not quite as streamlined as the one rumored to be in Goldenrod, but it was very nice. Mick couldn't help but start to smile as he walked onto the train platform with his ticket. He took a deep breath as he looked around, taking in just how focused the diamond dogs seemed to prefer function over form when it came to items working.

"All boarding the train to Equestria!" Calls the conductor as Diamond dogs and a few tourists hurry onto the platform.

Mick, Emma, Gwen, Widget and Gleaming Gem all made their way onto the train eagerly. None were quite as eager as Mick as it seemed like he just couldn't keep from bouncing around the train car.

Gwen let out a small chuckle as she watched the excited Cyndaquil examine every part of the train. "Well... He's certainly the strangest human I've ever met... Bouncing around like the child he is one moment... and then all serious and surprisingly mature the next..." She let out a small sigh as Emma nodded her head.

"It's what happens when a human grows up homeschooled... at least, when taught by a pokemon breeder."

Gwen looked at Mick with a small smile as he finally sat down next to Emma, "Well... He was definitely raised by the right people."

Emma leaned down to nuzzle the Cyndaquil that was drifting off to sleep. "Yeah... He was definitely raised right..."


The steady rumble of the train finally woke Mick a few hours later, He blinked a few times as he saw something that looked like Emma and Gwen holding a hesitant conversation. He began to stretch a bit, remembering the way that Emma would stretch when she woke up as a Cyndaquil. Several very satisfying pops later Mick was shaking the last dregs of sleep away from him as he began to look around the train car once again. Widget and Gleaming Gem seemed to be sleeping, not surprising since they were around tracked methods of transport all their life. He didn't really want to interrupt Gwen and Emma at the moment, since they did seem to be getting along better.

As such, he decided to check out more of the train. He quietly slid open the door to their compartment and ventured out into the hallway, picking to head away from the front of the train since there seemed to be the smell of a dining car coming from the way he was going.

"...Please tell me there's bacon..." He muttered just as he opened up the door to find himself get practically smacked in the face with the smell of various prepared foods.

After blinking a couple of times he slowly starts looking around the room, noticing a few diamond dogs, ponies, and even some pokemon. He decided to pick a barside spot next to a Machoke and Gardevoir, The diamond dog behind the counter smiled at him.

"What can I get you?" He asks with a bit more of a refined tone than most diamond dogs.

"Hmm... Got any bacon?" Mick asks, "with baked potatoes and sour cream?"

The dog chuckles a little. "Yes, I'll get one ready."

"...So... You used to be human too, huh? Or were you a trainer's pokemon?"

Mick turned his head to look at the Machoke in slight confusion before registering the question. "Oh... I used to be human. I'm actually on my way to Equestria to speak with Arceus."

The Machoke seemed to have been stunned a little at that, sure he had accepted what Arceus had done for the most part, but the fact that some of the humans were actually planning to see him?

He clears his throat. "Well... Anyway, My name is Derek." the Machoke introduces as he holds out his hand.

Mick grips the large hand with both paws. "Mick... So... Who's your friend?" He asks as he leans a little to get a better view of the nervous Gardevoir.

"Oh... The Gardevoir is one of my team mates, Richard." Derek replies.

"Richard? Wait... That's a guy's name." Mick repeats a little stunned, causing the Gardevoir to grimace and the Machoke to get a little cold.

"Yeah... What about it?" Derek asked.

"Aren't Gardevoir supposed to be female?"

Derek softens a little, "No... All Kirlia evolve into Gardevoir if the males aren't given a dawn stone... But Richard was always better as a mental battler and Gardevoir was a better tactical advantage."

"Oh..." Mick replied as he nodded his head once, accepting the meal that the diamond dog placed in front of him. "Were you two... uh... Close before the move?" He asked with a curious look.

Richard nods a little as he and Derek began to blush. "It wasn't common... but yeah... we were one of the very unique cases..."

"Oh... Okay, just wanted to make sure I wasn't bringing up something too embarrassing." Mick replied cheerfully.


With that the three pokemon began to tell tales back and forth of the adventures that they did have, Mick giving them a tale about his family breeding ranch near Azalea town, Derek and Richard told Mick more about the Hoenn region much to his enjoyment about the region that had so much of a terrain difference than the Jhoto region. It seemed like hours before they finally decided to part ways.

Author's Note:

And with that I have a new chapter out! I'm planning a holiday chapter but ironically it won't be out till after the holidays.

Since the holiday special will be dealing with characters that haven't been revealed in the story as well as a guest appearance I will include a spoiler warning and for now the chapter will be non-canon to the story.