• Published 2nd Sep 2014
  • 15,267 Views, 648 Comments

he. she. we. - Shinzakura



A man, empty. A mare, damaged. A life, lived. A life - loved.

  • ...
58
 648
 15,267

seven. he. outside.

“Everybody, I’d like you to meet my girlfriend, Moon.” It’s been a week since her change and things have…well, it’s been a mess. Due to Moon’s unintentional barbequing of the inside of the house, she’d exhausted herself completely fixing everything. Unfortunately, as a result, I had to miss a dinner I’d planned with Mom and Dad – she was reviewing a new restaurant in Malibu and she invited everyone – and when I explained why, the cat was out of the bag. It was going to happen anyway. But in the process, I got the parental grilling and as a result, now it’s Sunday and we’re having brunch with the family at the El Torito in Pasadena. Growing up, we always had Sunday Brunch at the one near my parents’ place in Santa Monica, and apparently either Mom or Dad – probably Mom – thought it’d be a great way to get to know her.

As Moon and I sit down at the table across from my parents, Carrie, Don and Tae, we’re nervous, though for different reasons. I’m nervous because not only is this her first major exposure to other humans face-to-face, but it’s my family in particular. All it’s going to take is one pony-related remark and they’re going to start wondering about her…as if the purple hair and turquoise eyes aren’t going to be topics of conversation already. At least with the hair, we can say that she’s rocking the Goth look.

But for Moon, it’s different: She wants to “prove” she’s human, because she wants us to be a normal couple. She did admit on the drive down that she’s not completely sure that the enchantment she placed on the glasses work completely, and if it fails, she goes from a girl with unusually-colored eyes to what looks like a succubus.

Yeah, that’s going to go over real great with my parents.

“Hello, dearie,” Mom says, starting the opening volley. And here starts the tennis match. “I have to admit, Moon’s an unusual name.”

To my surprise, Moon’s response is perfect; she’s clearly been practicing for this. “It’s actually a nickname,” she tells my folks. “My full name is Selene Cynthia De Lune, or ‘lunar-based name, lunar-based name, lunar-based surname, so I might as well just roll with the motif.’” Dad jokes that Moon’s parents must have had a strange sense of humor, to which she replies that she has no idea who gave her the name, as she’s never met her parents.

Huh?

«It’s sorta true,» she tells me. «I don’t know about Luna, but I can barely remember my parents. It’s been thousands of years, after all, and my imprisonment and separation may have affected me that way.»

She then looks right at my parents and says, “I’m originally from a small town just outside of Vancouver, Canada called Gibsons. I was found just outside the RCMP local station there, and it was a Mountie that gave me my name.” She then went on about her life growing up in Vancouver – where the hell did she get all that research? – and then about earning a full scholarship to UCLA, where she studied art and computer programming, which led in a roundabout way to her current career.

At this point, I can see that Dad’s interested, and he bites: “So then, Moon, what do you do for a living?”

She leans forward and says with a smile, “Cyberathelete.” When they look at her with confusion, she then explains: “Professional videogame player.”

I’m trying to keep my face straight as I’m floored by that level of bullshit – I know Moon’s been logging some serious gaming time to the point that she wore out her Onza last week, but…could she have at least come up with a better story than that? My parents look at her oddly, expecting her to say she’s joking or explain something else, but instead she launches into this long story about EVO – I recognize parts of it as the article I wrote as an assignment for last year – and there’s enough of her story that while it seems like it matches, doesn’t quite par up with what I got going. Where did she get all this?

At this point, Tae pops in. Both she and Carrie are suckers for true love, and probably moreso for Tae, who grew up on romance manwha. “So, how did you guys meet?”

“About January last year, I was prepping for an upcoming tournament, and so on the recommendation of a teammate, I applied to rent a fully-furnished vacation place on Airbnb; the system set me up in a place in ‘the City of Big Bear’.” She says that last part, air quote included, and suddenly everyone in my family understands; after all, it’s a common enough mistake. A lot of people assume that the area I live in, Big Bear City, is “the city”; actually, it’s an unofficial town and technically just an unincorporated part of San Bernardino County. The actual city is Big Bear Lake. She then looks to me to continue.

Fortunately, we practiced this part. Looking at my parents, I then tell them that I get home from my trip to Atlanta and find this strange girl there, lying on my couch, playing this tricked-out gaming system and eating my Doritos. After we talked everything over, she showed me that the key to the rental place is the same type as the one for my door. Since it was too late in the evening to send her out, I let her stay in the guest room that night, and she got up early and made me breakfast as thanks. We talked over breakfast and got to know each other better, and though she went to the rental cabin that day – and I changed the locks on the house – we agreed to go out on a date that night. Needless to say, I tell the fams, we hit it off.

Strangely enough, it’s even more bizarre than the actual truth…though I’ll have to change the locks when we get home. Moon looks briefly at me and she nods, knowing what I was going to say. Do we have some sort of couples’ telepathy going on?

Oh, that’s right – we do.


A few minutes later, Moon excuses herself to the restroom, and immediately, Mom, Carrie and Tae do the same. Divide and conquer is a classic tactic my family uses when checking out the prospective other of one of my siblings. I should know; I was on the other side last time when me, Dad and Don grilled Carrie’s last boyfriend. Glad she realized what kind of creep he was.

Dad scratches the back of his head as though he’s trying to avoid saying something – and Moon wonders where I got that habit from – before he finally says, “Well, son, she’s…ah, ‘interesting’.”

“Interesting?” I ask.

Another head scratch. “Well, for starters – and I know this is probably partially my fault since you grew up on the stuff – but I swear she looks like Audrey Hepburn. That and she…has an, um, ‘interesting’ job, I, uh, guess?”

I have to do this, sorry. “Dad, if you think she’s interesting now, you should’ve seen her two weeks ago when she was still a winged unicorn.” Both of them stare at me at that comment, and I laugh – they think I’m cracking an absurd joke just to set them at ease. Yeah, I can be an asshole at times.

“North,” Don begins, “we just want to make sure that she’s not screwing you – and I don’t mean in that sense. Let’s be honest: You have more money than most guys your age, and some girls do pay attention to that. I’m sure you’ve heard of seekingarrangement.com, right?”

“Not really, but I’m wondering how you know about it,” I tell Don just to fuck with him. Yes, I’m familiar with Seeking Arrangement and Ashley Madison; I did a freelance article for Maxim on them and used myself as the guinea pig – I still get girls contacting me on the throwaway email account I set up. I see him squirm and then decide to let him off the hook. “Seriously, though, Moon’s dependable. She’s been there for me when I need her and strangely enough, bank account aside, her paycheck is more regular than mine is.” I know that much because at my article for EVO, I met a gamer by the handle of “Th3/\/\4ndar1n” who said he makes more off of endorsements than he does in tournaments. “She didn’t even know I had money until well into the relationship. Trust me, she’s not after my cash, and I think Mom and Dad raised me not to be that stupid.”

“Well of course not, North,” Dad replies, “but we just want you to be happy, is all.”

“I know,” I tell them, genuinely grateful. “I’m especially happy that this means Carrie doesn’t have to try to fix me up with another one of her college friends.”

“Tell me about it,” Don groans. “I told Mom, Dad and Tae about that Destiny chick, and at that point Tae was going to just call her family in Korea to see what cousins she had that were attending college in the US. She then told Carrie not to fix you up again with circus freaks.”

Dad nods in agreement. “As much as I think Moon is…unusual, don’t get me wrong, she’s sweet – you did better with her than the bimbo Carrie thought you’d like.”

The drive back to Big Bear is interesting; while Mom and Dad wanted us to come over for dinner that night, we had to decline as I had some research on an article I needed to do. Besides, Moon and I needed to talk about her performance.

“Okay, hon, spill,” I tell her as we’re approaching the LA city limits. “Where did you get all the information?”

“Well, remember my friend Scythe?” she says. “Turns out that she’s a professional gamer herself and after all the gaming we’ve done, she wants me to join her team because they want a five-on-five at Digital Carousel.”

“Wait…so you’re serious about this?” She nods. “Isn’t this the part where I point out you’re a goddess—”

Retired goddess,” she huffs, crossing her arms and pouting. She’s so adorable when she does that. “And no, I don’t cheat when I’m gaming; that wouldn’t be fair. It’s just pure, one hundred percent me and my hands.”

“You, ah, didn’t have hands until a week ago.”

“Okay, okay, so I used my magic to control the keyboard and mouse, or gamepad or whatever I was using at the time,” she admitted. “But other than that I didn’t cheat.”

“You’re missing my point, hon,” I tell her. “You were doing it all by magic, and have you played anything since your change?”

“No, but I know my skills.”

I roll my eyes. “Oh, really,” I drawl.

“Look,” she says, looking over the edges of her glasses at me with her real eyes. “Here’s the deal: you and I, tonight – you can pick the game. If you win, I’ll give up all my plans of being a videogame player and I’ll do all the chores in the house this week, even the ones you didn’t have me do because it meant going outside. But if I win, you’re driving me to the Electric Planet on Tuesday and you’ve got the chores.”

“You’re on,” I tell her, knowing I’m going to win this. Yeah, I’ll acknowledge that I’ve seen her play some FPSes, and she’s good. But I’m a fighting game kinda guy and I’ve played more than a few in my time. No sweat.

As I’m putting the dishes in the dishwasher, I berate myself for not realizing that “retired goddess” still means goddess. When I put in Street Fighter IV, she admitted she’d never played it before – then lost the first round while she methodically figured out the controls. That was the only round she lost from that point. We went for a simple best of three. Then five. Then seven. Then nine. Then she said that she’d consider it a loss if I managed to win the next round. Finally, when she’s looking at me while I’m staring in shock at the Character Select screen, she whispers wolfishly, “I’ll consider it a loss if you manage to hit me once.”

I sigh and get up, heading to the kitchen to put away the dishes, while she giggles madly. My mom always said she didn’t raise any idiots, but I think tonight I just proved her wrong.

As I’m putting away the last dish, when she taps me on the shoulder and gives me this girlish look. “Okay, now you have to do the next chore.”

“And what’s tha—” I ask before she silences me with a very passionate kiss and starts leading me to the bedroom.

Yeah, I think I can live with this chore.

We park in front of The Electric Planet, a barcade on the corner of 3rd and Walnut in Huntington Beach. It’s a couple of blocks northeast of the pier, and I suggest that after she’s done, we can go take a walk there. She makes an odd sound that sounds like “squee” and with that, we go in. As we enter, I’m recalling stuff that I vaguely remember from my earliest years, the stuff my Dad was goofing off with while he was around my age: Depeche Mode posters, the whole 80s Tron look and whatnot. Only difference is, this place serves drinks. Who says there’s no such thing as progress?

The waitress meets us at the door; she’s dressed as Chun-Li. “Welcome to the Electric Planet! What can I get for you two?”

“Got any beers?” I ask.

“The usual domestics, imports and craftbrews plus a special IPA that the guys down the block at HB Beers make for us called ‘Cruise Elroy IPA.’”

“That sounds good.”

“And you, miss?”

“Just a Diet Coke,” she tells the waitress. “I’m here for the Vector Vixens tryouts.”

“Oh, good. We just started,” she tells us. “Sign-ups are over there. I’ll bring you your drinks.”

As Moon’s looking around, I comment, “You know, when I was just a kid, I always wanted to come to these kinds of places. But by the time I was old enough arcades pretty much shut down. Barcade scene only started up a couple of years ago, thankfully.”

She smiles, replying with, “You must have been an adorable kid.”

“More like a pain in the a—”

“North? North Shores?” A voice catches my attention and I’m turn to look. There, wearing a midriff shirt that has Pac-Man on it with the caption BITE ME and strategically torn jeans is this hot little Asian number with red hair. I know for a fact that she’s only half-Asian; her mother’s originally from Ireland and her dad’s local-born Vietnamese.

“Katie?” I ask, still disbelieving. God, the years have been kind to her.

She hugs me. “God, it’s good to see you! What are you doing here?”

“Well, my girlfriend here is trying out for some group here,” I tell her. Gesturing to Moon, I say, “Honey, this is Katie Nguyen. I used to babysit her when I was in high school. Katie, this is my girlfriend, Moon De L—”

“Nightmare Moon?” Katie asks. “Hi, I’m DeathScythe325. Wait – if you two are, then….” She blushes furiously. “So you took my advice?”

“Like you wouldn’t believe,” Moon says. “So, what’ve we got?”

“Well, I’ve played with and against you enough times that as far as I’m concerned, you’re not only in, you’re my team vice-captain. We’re gonna need another eighteen girls on the squad, though; Digital Carousel rules require ten on team – five mains, five alts. In addition to that, we can have five independents cracking the solo charts, and five understudies in case something happens, for a total of twenty, which is manageable – we can always grow the team later. Got some promising stick movers coming in, including one that just quit the Joystick Jills. C’mon, I’ll show you the hardware.”


We’re there for the rest of the day. I go back to the car to get my laptop and camera so I can write an article and take some pictures of this place; we don’t have a gaming editor on Technon and everyone’s filling in until we can find one. Meanwhile, both Katie and Moon put a bunch of girls through her paces. Most of them are about Katie’s age, with a few in their late teens, leaving Moon as the oldest on the team at the tender age of “25” - I think they’d freak if they found out she’s been around for thousands of years, give or take. Finally around five in the evening, they get a team cobbled up.

This is where things get interesting: Her contract is a steady paycheck, backed by the Electric Planet, in return for 25% of her wins at tournaments. She can do endorsements and other commercial deals, provided they don’t conflict with anything Electric Planet or Vector Vixens do. And there’s a few other things, too. All of which…I really have to think about telling her.

Still, as we’re strolling on the pier, she’s happy and animated. I’m having a hard time believing this is the same individual who showed up a little over a year ago in my home, frightened, morose and decidedly less human looking. That sinks a pit into my stomach; breaking my girl’s heart doesn’t really go over well for me. But either I do it now, or things get really ugly later on.

We decide to have dinner at Ruby’s that night, eating at the pier. Over burgers, fries and shakes, I break it to her gently: that to sign the contract, she’s going to need a bank account for the money to go to. To get that, she’s going to need a social security number, which means she’ll need legal documents to live in the country; and since she said she was from Canada, she’s going need documents from there as well. As I’m explaining what I repeatedly say is just what I know off the top of my head – I’m no expert – the smile starts disappearing from her face.

“Oh,” she says, as she starts to understand what’s going on.

“Plus, according to this contract, you need to meet with the team regularly, which means either you’re going to be driving over two hours each way – which means I’ll be driving, since you don’t have a driver’s license – or we need to move.” She suddenly looks very down, as if she finally realizes what she’s done. “Hey, we’ll figure something out,” I assure her, even though I have not a fucking clue of what we can do about this. To fix this, I’d probably need some Hollywood-style superhacker, the NSA and the entire contact list of that guy at the CIA that I interviewed for an article two years ago.

“No,” she says, somewhat sadly. “I can fix it – that’s not the problem. The problem was that I like living at our place. I don’t want to move, but I guess it makes sense that we have to.” She pauses for a second, before adding, “Why not somewhere around here?”

I look at her as though she’s lost her mind. “Hon, I’m really sure you don’t have an idea of what I’m talking about, do you?”

She gives me a soft, playful smile. “Trust me, I know what I’m doing. I am a goddess, after all.”

“Retired goddess,” I point out.

“Still a goddess,” she replies.

Joy. Well, when they ultimately throw my butt in the slammer, I can at least ask them not to put me in the same cell as Rachel’s uncle. That’d really be hell for me.

We get home around nine, and while I turn on the computers and consoles in the living room, she heads straight to our bedroom – still getting used to calling it ours vice separate ones for her and me. No sooner than Windows finishes booting up, then she comes out of the bedroom….

“Back in your old form?” I ask her, as I see the familiar inky-black shape. She flutters her wings gracefully, stretching them as though they were appendages that she hadn’t moved in a while – maybe they are, and I just don’t see them.

She nods. “I’m probably going to need all my power for a few days to pull this off and staying shapeshifted 24/7 can be tiring, unless you’re a changeling, and I’m not one. So we’ll just go to bed tonight and I’ll get started first thing in the morning, after breakfast.”

“That works for me,” I say, reaching out to rub her head, running my hands through that oil-like substance that she calls her “ethereal mane”.

She purrs gently and says, “You’d better stop that, before you get me in the mood, hon.”

“What, do this?” I tease, running a finger down her furry back. Granted, I love Moon no matter what she looks like, but there’s something about her original form that’s exotic and wild. Hey, at least it’s not bestiality, right?

“I thought you didn’t like doing anything when I was in my native form,” she looked at me with mock-accusation.

“Well…as long as we—”


That was the first time I’ve ever been teleported in my life. I didn’t even react as I was tossed on the bed, with her on top of me. “You’re going to pay for that….” she teased.

I am probably the only person in history who can confirm he’s been with a goddess, and the only one who can say he gets his rocks off from his sexy alicorn sweetie.

If I ever make it to heaven, Rachel is soooooooo going to kill me.

The following morning I wake up late and find myself alone in bed. Moon’s already up, getting to work. She’s glowing like a great indigo-hued star, and her wings are on both her and my laptops while her iPad floats in front of her. She’s got that jury-rigged Bluetooth headset on, and she’s got one of my old phones – a Samsung ATIV that I was given to review – glowing the same color magic. The screen of every electronic device within her magic field is changing so fast, I can’t even keep up with what’s there – it’s like a bad LSD trip.

I probably don’t want to know what she’s doing.

“Morning, sweetie,” she says softly as I bend down to kiss her.

“Breakfast is on the table: made some breakfast burritos,” she says with an even voice while she’s focused on the tablet in front of her. Without looking at me, she says, “Oh, and I just got an email from Katie. We’re supposed to meet at Caballero’s tomorrow night for dinner and planning out the strategy for the Digital Carousel tournament. Is that okay with you?”

“Caballero’s the one that lives in Diamond Bar, right?”

“Brea, actually,” she replies.

“Will you be done and…uh, ‘cleaned up’ by then?” I ask her, and she nods in response. Really not sure how to refer to her transformation, now that I think about it; so much of what we know is Harry Potter bullshit and probably very wrong to how actual magic works.

“Any recommended banks I can get an account at?” she then asks.

“Um, I bank with Wells Fargo, if that helps,” I tell her.

“Perfect. I guess I’m going to need checking, savings and credit card accounts?”

“Um…yeah,” I say dully. I have no idea what she’s doing, though I’m starting to get the feeling that my gal is a one-mare NSA, CIA and super-hacker crew. A second later she floats some paper to me. “What’s this?”

“Could you put some money in my accounts, please?” she asks. “I’m going to need some for validity.”

“You couldn’t just…?”

She nickered – yeah, kinda weird hearing that from my girl. “That’s stealing,” she reminded me.

“So, forgery and fraud is perfectly fine, but stealing is out of the question?” I said, teasing her. Before she gives me that look, I said, “Yeah, yeah, I’ll go ahead and do that.” I head over to the desktop, head to the bank’s website and dump a few thousand in each account. “Okay you should be good.”

The cellphone – which as far as I know is not attached to any line whatsoever – immediately starts dialing a phone number. Once it connects, she begins. “Yes, hello, my name is Selene De Lune, and I need to report some lost credit and debit cards…Yes, I’ll wait. Thanks.” She then sits for a few minutes before she’s connected to another person, and from there, gives relevant information, verifies her address and all the usual stuff. Finally, as it’s done, she says, “No, thank you – you’ve been a wonderful help. Thanks again for your time.” As the phone goes blank, she smiles. “Well, that’s taken care of for the moment. I’ll finish up the rest this afternoon.” Getting back to her feet – hooves? – she stretches briefly and says, “Well, let me take a shower and then we can get going.”

“Going?”

“Yeah, need to get to the DMV so I can get my driver’s license. And then maybe this afternoon, we can start looking at houses down in Huntington and Costa Mesa. That okay with you?” I look at her with what could best be described as utter bafflement – she just joined the human race on an honorary basis mere days ago and she’s already planning to cause road rage and piss off the local HOA?

Have I mentioned how much I love my gal?

The following evening, after a day of getting her a driver’s license – hell, I’m surprised she’d already had her info! – and finding a nice little place in Irvine that we inquired about, we finally arrive at Caballero’s. Turns out the girl in question was born in Afghanistan, left just as we started turning the place into a black glass parking lot back in 2001 and settled here in the LA area. Now, she’s bleached her hair to bottle-blonde perfection, acts like she was born here and dresses with as little clothing as possible.

I wince as Moon slugs me as I watch Caballero bounce around, rhythmically and happily. Part of me wonders if she’s a belly dancer; the other part of me figures she’s just an exhibitionist. As Moon glares at me through her glasses I’m suddenly reminded that my girlfriend is an elemental creature not of this world and a literal nightmare. For the better sake of valor, I decide to take my eyes off the girl with the tight t-shirt emblazoned with “Yes, Hooters Loves Me” and turn my attention back towards my gal.

The girls go over their plans for Digital Carousel. Team A – that’s Katie’s team – is going to be part of the 5-on-5 in Team Fortress 2. Meanwhile, Moon and Team B will be raising hell in the Ultra Street Fighter IV tournament, which somewhat surprises me since Moon tends to play FPSes and hadn’t picked up a fighter until this past Sunday. There’s also a few players roughly assigned to Team C, under Caballero, who will be soloing certain games. Team D, the newbies at hardcore gaming, will be assigned to study all the other teams’ plays and find weaknesses and repetitions, where possible. Interesting battle plan and very much in how I’d figure Moon to operate.

While the girls are practicing and making plans, I’m talking things over with a few of the Vixens’ significant others. I’m one of the older ones, if not the oldest. Surprisingly, one of them, Todd, is a professional skateboarder – he tells me that his girl Sharon, or Troublemaker, as her alias is, got into gaming while being bored out of her skull at his tournaments. “And now the shoe’s on the other foot,” he tells me. “So, what about your girl? Moon, I dunno, she looks…well, she looks more like she’d be an actress or model or something, not a gamer girl.”

I grin. “Well, Moon’s gotta keep herself busy…or maybe she’ll just go back to haunting everybody’s dreams.” When he looks at me oddly, I just smile knowingly. After all, I probably should build up my GF’s mystique, right?

Finally, we’re back home, and I’m headed straight for my desk. I need to finish up the article, especially since it would make a nice contrast against the article Kotaku wrote about the Frag Dolls back in November. After all, I have the pictures, and their names are going to get out there after DC.

I crack my knuckles and am just about to start typing when I feel warm breath on the back of my neck, followed by a sultry voice cooing, “I need a partner to play with.”

I sigh; I really need to get this article done. “Hon,” I tell her, “the article’s due on Monday.”

“It’s only Friday,” she whispers in my ear. I can smell chocolate and honey and that immediately tells me she’s in her native form. It’s going to be one of those nights, clearly. Sure enough, I feel feathers brush against the back of my neck and I shudder. She really knows how to hit my weak spots.

Still, I need to get this done and even she knows that. “Sweetie, this article’s going to put you and the others on the map, so I have to make sure it’s just right.”

I can already hear her purse her lips in annoyance. “I already did the ‘worshipped by millions’ thing before, you know. Right now all I want is an audience. Of. One.” She pokes her head in to kiss me, and I feel the soft sable of her fur against my cheek. And here I always thought that I was going to be the hirsute one in a relationship. She looks at me with her beautiful serpentine aqua eyes, and whatever feels she was going through disappeared, tempered by her understanding. “Don’t stay up too late,” she reminds me. “We’re having lunch tomorrow with your sister in Rosemead. Some place called the Bahooka, if I recall.”

“Yeah, tiki restaurant. Parents used to take us all the time – it’s a SoCal institution.” I reach over and rub just behind her ears; she coos in appreciation for that—


—and just like that, she’s teleported me to our bed. She’s looking down at me, hungrily. “You can wait until tomorrow for me, right?”

I sigh and give in. The things I do to keep a happy household….

I wake up at seven in the morning, both hungry and exhausted at the same time. I feel like I could sleep for a dozen more hours still – after I get something to eat. Moon is still asleep, in her native form. I think she prefers to be in it while we’re at home and I can’t say I disagree; she’s not human and she shouldn’t pretend to be when she doesn’t have to. It does mean that I have to adjust to being in a relationship with a non-human, though.

Wow, I’m in the first cross-species relationship – why the hell does that sound like something out of a weird-ass fanfic? But, this is real life, and I love Moon, and I know she loves me. And I’m going to support her as much as I can.

I sit down at my desk and look at the picture of Rachel and I. It was the very first thing Moon fixed when we came home, and it looks as new as the day we took the picture and put it in this frame. And as I look at it, I know I’ve done the right thing. Rachel wouldn’t want me to grow old, lonely and bitter, and had the situation been reversed, I wouldn’t have wanted that for her. Maybe I’m not in the kind of relationship that she would have expected, but I can say that my love for her is never going to die, even as my love for Moon is different.


“She loved you very much – I can tell.” Moon’s voice behind me is unexpected, but nothing bad, as I feel her kiss me on the cheek. I turn to look at her and she kisses me again. “I…I hope you know I won’t be jealous because you still care about her.”

“I never thought that,” I told her. “My love for you is different than what I felt for her. Just as strong, just…different.”

She leans forward and nuzzles me, then said, “I’ll make breakfast. Pancakes okay?” I nod and watch as my girlfriend wanders off to the kitchen, gracefully fluttering her wings…and leaving a mess of black feathers we’ll have to vacuum up later.

If nothing else, my life has gotten really interesting….