• Published 2nd Sep 2014
  • 15,254 Views, 648 Comments

he. she. we. - Shinzakura



A man, empty. A mare, damaged. A life, lived. A life - loved.

  • ...
58
 648
 15,254

four. she. soi.

I listen to the music, as it’s nothing like I’ve ever heard. Instruments of sounds and tones that are unlike anything back in Equestria, possibly even all of Equus! And it’s all coming from this incredible little machine, via these silvery, plate-like things! I’d briefly heard something about a device called a “phonograph” during my all-too-short return to Equestria, but if these are the same, it’s more proof that human technologists are far more advanced than anything ponies or the like have ever dreamed of.

With my magic, I gently place the disc into the slot, then close the cover. I then press the button named PLAY – there’s two of them on here, the other one for another kind of device I’ve never seen that looks rectangular – how odd.

The music suddenly blares out at a loud pace and drives me back. Fortunately, this time I found the volume control; I think Sir North would be largely cross with me if I were to break his gramophone here. Then the singing starts, and though the voice is rough and minotaurish, I actually enjoy it…

…right up until the chorus. “In the sunshine of your love”? I sigh. Why can’t there be a “moonshine of your love”, Mr. Creem?

I’m standing around the corner from him. I want to come out, show myself to him and beg his forgiveness for everything I’ve done since I’ve been here – months, surely; it’s been so long that I’ve failed to keep track. But the shame wells up within me and I continue to hide. What is wrong with me? Sir North obviously doesn’t hate me, else he would have evicted me long ago; furthermore, from what I know of him, he is nothing less than an absolute gentlestallion. Gentlehuman?

“Moon, would you please come out? I have a present for you.” His voice is as calm and cheerful as always. And for a moment I almost believe that I can trust myself not to make a donkey out of myself in front of him. But I don’t know if I can live with the shame and ignobility of the truth about me.

I silently move underneath the coffee table, getting a clear view of things while Sir North holds a bag of that mysterious “plastic” material – after being here all this time I still cannot comprehend it: A material as hard as stone or wood, made from oil? – and from the shapes and form I can see something within is for me. And I wonder what it is, when suddenly I see a silvery apple-like shape on the bag, and my jaw drops. Admittedly, while I was in that small town, I’d heard faint musings about the Apple family, whoever they were, but from what I’ve seen of the culture here so far, the Apple clan that is composed of humans in this world makes some of the most advanced of these machines I’ve been using!

And he got me one of my very own?

Guilt roars through every mote of my soul. This…this isn’t right. He’s shown me nothing but kindness, given me things that no prisoner would ever hope to have. And now that I know I’m no prisoner, but instead an interloper, the fact that he has met my entrance with hospitality and equinity is far more than I ever deserve. And now this.

I cannot stand to let this pass. But how can I…? The answer hits me as soon as it comes to mind and I dash back down to the house’s dunge…I mean, basement, in order to retrieve my armor. In it, there’s a fire ruby that kept within that helps to maintain the defensive spells enchanted onto it. Alone, the purity is worth a small fortune, or at least it did back during my time; I’ve no idea of its value in modern Equestria or even here; as for the gem, were it not for its purity, it would be a bit a dozen, perhaps in my time, maybe even less now. Plus, once I remove it, I will never be able to imbue it again, and my armor will just revert to unenchanted dark mythril, leaving me defenseless.

But I doubt I will ever need protection on that level ever again. I am no longer questing for a throne that was never mine. In fact, I may never make it back to my home reality, ever again. And perhaps somehow Sir North can make use of this now-useless bauble. I hope the trade will be equitable; I dare not insult my good host.

Without further thought, I wrench the ruby from its position. The deep vermillion glow sputters out and dies. With that, I immediately rush back to my hiding place. I arrive just in time to see him sigh and say in a somber tone, “I’ll…just leave it on the table.” That set in motion, I make my move: as he’s focused on the icebox, I rush over to the bag, grab it, then leave my gift in return. As he’s turning, I make sure I brush his hand with my wing so he’ll know I was there and whisper a quick, “We thank thee for the gift, Sir North,” before rushing into the room where I’m keeping my inventory.


As I depart, I hear nothing but silence. A part of me hopes that I haven’t grievously insulted my host; I would not want that. I have nowhere else to go and he has been a lifeline to me, better to me than an un-pony such as I deserves. As I enter the room, I set the bag down and then open i—

Oh. My. Stars!

An…he didn’t…he did…. My jaw drops from the shock. An Ipod! I’d heard about these in one of the games I’d played; it makes the gramophone sitting next to me absolutely primitive in comparison. In fact, one of the books in the house indicated that if a regular phonograph was like having an orchestra play before you, one of these Ipod things was like being in a sea of orchestras! I could have a whole bevvy of music at my hooftips, once I mastered the instructions.

I feel tears coming to my eyes, and it’s a feeling I’ve been all too familiar with since I came into Sir North’s life. He has been kind to me – too kind, and all I do is continue to act like a mule. I hope that the gem I gave him is a small compensation towards what I owe this gentlestallion, and were he a stallion and I a mare – a real mare – I would be happy to accept his troth.

I hold the Ipod close to me and as I read the instructions on how to connect it to the electrical communication systems in the house, I know I will treasure this gift forever.

But while I’m reading, I keep wondering…

Why do they keep misspelling the device’s name as “iPod”?

While dusting in the home, I almost knock over his treasure of treasures: the picture of his beloved Rachel. As I catch it in my magic before it falls to the ground, I get a good look at her. What memories I gleaned of her when I went into Sir North’s mind during his nightmare were just that – twisted, distorted memories of the mare – no, “woman”; an adult human female is called a woman, I need to remember that – that he loved.

They look absolutely happy together in the picture, and it makes me feel a little uneasy inside. Not for their happiness, obviously, but rather for what I’ve lost myself: family, friends, everything. Or was it Luna that lost it? The thought stirs up all those feelings again: the pain, the loneliness, even simple things humans won’t understand, such as the fact that while I can “feel” their moon, it feels cold and dead, not a living part of me as Equestria’s had been. And that opens up more questions and thoughts: I am Luna. I was Luna. I am not Luna – at least, not anymore; of that last part I’m sure. I both love and hate Celestia, who may or may not be my/her/our sister – the pronouns trip me up and I’m not using the Majestic Plural in this case. And then I feel the crushing emptiness of a world where I shouldn’t exist and don’t belong.

It makes me wonder: what of Luna? How fares she now that we are separate? I know Celestia’s forgiven her; my/our/her sister is just that kind of mare. And of her daughter, Twilight, whose full name I’m not sure of? She did the right thing in confronting me/us/her/Luna. I/we/she deserved to be put down. Eternal night? Damning Celestia to the sun? It would have been a death sentence for all of Equus. With a clear head not filled with fever dreams of becoming queen of all, I know that now.

And just the other day I’d read about a man who lived nearly a century ago that started a global war and killed millions of people, many of them simply because they had different beliefs than he did.

And to think…he would have been an amateur compared to what I/we/she/Luna would have done.

I opt to take a shower, since I can hide the tears easier that way.

Given what I’ve been through in my recent memory (even if it isn’t recent in Equestria’s time), and my fondness for these “combat simulator” games younger humans play – though I wonder where the term “first-person shooter” came from; I thought that was the point – you would think that I would be used to the noise of the past few days.

I’m not.

I can hear the constant roar of a crowd not too far away. There must be a day of celebration going on, but to me, given the timeframe and the summer sun, all it reminds me of is the last summer day that I/we/she/Luna participated in, the day of the Summer Sun Celebration, where I/we/she/Luna was finally freed from our prison…and then immediately, through my/our/her own stupidity, requalified for it once more. Though it hurt like nothing ever felt before, I am glad it happened. Luna is finally purified of her jealousy and madness, I presume, and as for me…

…I hope I am better than what caused my creation in the first place.


The noises get louder, so much so that I can hear them through my earbuds, and it all stirs up memories of a dark would-be queen staring down at her “subjects”, not knowing what would happen in just a few short hours. I do not know if Luna ever thinks of what occurred. I know that I obsess over it and the events of the past are, to use a term that I’d read in one of the many books Sir North has on the shelf, “a monkey on my back”. But right now, I just want to shut out the world and just keep listening to Vampire Weekend – what a curious name for a musical ensemble! – and hope the world forgets about me.

About noontime, Sir North calls out for me and said he made lunch…and he was hoping that I would come out and join him. And this time…I would. I really would. But the noise gets louder outside – apparently that Prentice boy that Sir North oftentimes complains about is setting off something called a “firecracker” in the field behind the house – and I just lose it. Like a little filly, I hide beneath the blanket here that was left for me, wishing the noise and storm would all just go away.

This is the final blow to any dignity that I, Nightmare Moon have: I once was the greatest power on Equus. I once, even if for a little bit, ruled the whole of the world. Now, I am just a crying filly hiding underneath a blanket in a world completely alien to me, with no hope of ever returning to my native reality.


I wake up, and am shocked to discover that it is night. It…it no longer calls to me instinctively, and maybe it always did to me/us/her. Knowing that, I feel more alone than ever. Perhaps this sounds strange, but…I could use a hug right now.

Fortunately, I know where I could get one. Unfortunately, he may hate me for it. As I head towards his bed, I wonder if this is the right thing to do. And I wonder if I’m being a foal about it. He…is a male. Not a stallion – a shame, but nothing in life is perfect, I suppose – but still a male, all the same. And I am but a female; damaged, worthless and a hanger-on, but a female still. What I’m suggesting is…improper, by my standards, perhaps even by the mores of modern Equestria. And, from what I know of this world, it’s a thousand times more so. Humans, as inexplicable as it is, are the only sapient species here on Earth. All they have is one another. Everything else is sub-sapient at best, merely sentient, or even less than that.

And yet as I slide my forelegs around him and drape a wing over him, something feels…dirty. Like I’m expecting Tia/Celestia/that bitch/my sister/my sister? to break into the house just to yank me by the ear. But as I snuggle next to him, I suddenly sigh in contentment. I’m not sure why, but suddenly I feel as safe as I can be, like a newborn pegasus wrapped in the most comfortable cloud ever. I feel like a little filly again, safe in her/Tia’s/Celestia’s forelegs just as she used to do with me/us/her so long ago.

Then I suddenly feel him stiffen in my grasp and the first thing I want to do is fly. Far. Fast. Now. But unfortunately, my left foreleg is pinned under him – heavens, humans are a lot more physically dense than I expected! And besides, I know I’m safe right now. Better than the explosions that had just occurred outdoors, reminding me of the savage war I/we/she/Luna/that idiot started. And while this might not be the safest place there is…I can think of much worse. In any case, I know I am safe; I know that on an instinctive level.

I then feel something – multiple somethings – sink into my mane. I sigh, and – oh, right there! Perfect! – I/we/she haven’t had anypony do this in years! Yes, it’s a simple pleasure, but…but…. Oh, my…. Did I just nuzzle him? That’s….that’s rather intimate. I blush furiously, hoping that he cannot see that in the darkness of the room, or else I am done for.

Thankfully, I finally feel him drift off into sleep. And as he slips into slumber, I gently nuzzle him again – a bit more chastely this time – and whisper how glad I am to have him as a friend.

Perhaps, recalling Milton, it is better to reign in hell than to serve in heaven. And if Celestia meant this to be my hell, well, while I’m not exactly in charge…I’d almost be happy here.

I sneak out of the bed at half past four in the morning, mainly because I think I have something in mind. Looking at the alarm clock, I notice that I think I’m becoming jaded with all this technology; humans don’t have magic naturally, so they invented it instead. I wonder: If we ponies had also gone the technological route, would we have the skills we do? After all, the mules and donkeys, though they are distantly related to ponykind, do not have magical abilities, and I/we/she was not back in Equestria long enough to ascertain how much that species had changed. Would they have things like alarm clocks, ready to chime a soft tune to wake a softly-dozing mare or stallion from a peaceful night’s slu—

As I think about that, I’m about to turn red with embarrassment. Dear stars, what was I thinking? I invaded Sir North’s privacy and forced myself on him! He will think me a mare of the night – in that other way, no less! What have I done?


I slink off to the kitchen. I’m hungry, and since he won’t be up for another hour, maybe…I could do the cooking? There’s a gruyere, spinach and mushroom omelette that I’ve been meaning to try. Admittedly, I’ve not done it in a long time, and I will have to adjust to some of the cooking equipment here, but…I’m sure I can do, it, right?

One foreleg with scorched fur and a scalded hoof later, I guess I didn’t. At least it will heal within the hour. I just hope he likes the breakfast….

“There’s a star mare waiting in the sky….”

Okay, I know that’s not how the lyrics go, but maybe if I’d shown up decades ago, good sir Mr. Bowie might have said, that, right? At least I think he would. Perhaps I should visit this “England” place and pay him a visit. Discreetly, of course; I wouldn’t want to jeopardize what little life I have.

I’m outside right now in the late July night, looking into the clear, starry night, at the beautifully plump moon, facing it all – knowing it’s not mine. None of it is. The only stars under my command now are the ones in my mane – and those are more a part of my nature rather than the brilliant magical energies that burn within the night. I suppose that’s Luna’s problem now.

I look at the asphalt location where the motoriz – car, must remember that term – normally is. But good Sir North isn’t here. He’s somewhere out there, beyond the mountains, down in the valley below. Some person named “Carrie”, and something about a fruit of some kind…a date I believe. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, and I wonder if I should teleport his laptop up here so I can look up alternate meanings of the word.

Oh, wait – how stupid of me!

A date! Obviously this Carrie person must be supplying him with a calendar! I facehoof at my own silliness; how could I not have realized that? The year’s more than halfway over, if I’m reading the human calendar correctly; he may very well be obtaining some calendars so that he’ll be prepared when the change of the year comes. That’s so very much like him – diligent and through. Very charming qualities to have, and absolutely natural for my good Sir North.

At last, I hear the thrum of his car down the street, and I teleport myself within the house. If I time it correctly, I’ll be able to make sure the auberg…“eggplant”, they call them eggplants here…Eggplant Parmesan is nice and warm for him. I spent the whole day working on the recipe; I hope he’ll like it.

Oh. So that’s what “date” means. A synonym for courting.

Something tells me I should be concerned about that….

I hear him arguing over the phone with someone. My word, I’ve never heard him so angry before! While my good Sir North is nothing but a gentlestal…gentleman, to hear him rage and sputter at the obvious scoundrel on the other side. That rapscallion must really deserve a thrashing if Sir North is this angry.


“Look, you said, I wasn’t going to have to attend SoutherNet this year!”


Moving over to the kitchen to get a better view, I realize that I forgot to do the dishes. Well, I suppose I’d best get to that.


“What about Nate? Guy lives in Nashville for fuck’s sake – he should be the one to go!”


I would hate to be this Nate fellow; I assume this Village of Na…no, it would probably be called Nashville; not everything is named the way it used to be back in the day. In any case, I assume Nashville is close to this Southernet. I wonder what Southernet is. Maybe I’ll have to leave a note for Sir North asking hi—


“Fine, I’m leaving!”


My heart suddenly stops. Sir North…is leaving? Does this “Eddie” have such sway over Sir North that he would leave…me? I suddenly feel cold, colder than anything I’ve felt before. The world turns claustrophobic, worse than my time imprisoned in my/our/her/Luna’s moon. My mind suddenly turns to a maelstrom and the only clear thought I have is radiating through my skull, accompanied by the sound of a thousand crystal bells sounding, as if I were back in the wreckage of the Crystal Empire after my/our/her battle with Sombra.

I don’t want to be alone, the thought screams in my head. I don’t, I don’t….

He’s going to leave me – the realization fully sinks in now and I think I’d rather have the Elements used against me again than to feel this. Why? What did I do? Please don’t leave me, Sir North. You are my protector, my succor….

My friend….


My only friend….



Tears sting my eyes and everything becomes a blur. I look up and see him, and I know he’s surprised to see me there, but I cannot hide anymore – I don’t want to hide. Let me live with my shame, let me be as damned a mare as that poor woman in The Scarlet Letter, but please, if there is any mercy in the universe, please don’t let this happen.

And before I know it, the words are tumbling out of my mouth: “Th-th-thou…art leaving?”

I barely hear what he has to say next. My body is no longer under my control. I rush at him and hold him like the terrified little filly I am, no different than the foal once afraid of her/Luna’s own shadow. Or perhaps I am that shadow and I was ever afraid of the filly attached to it. Either way, I know I’m more afraid than I have ever felt in my life and the only thing I know is that I don’t want to be alone, ever again!

“Please do not leave us,” I beg him. Sir North, I will do anything if you do not leave me. I will be your scullery maid, your…I’m not even sure of what I mean to you, but please, please do not leave me!

Then I feel his fingers running through my mane once more, can feel the warmth and strength as each bit of flesh touches a star within my mane. And then I feel a hand cup my face and bring mine to his as he asks, “Why would I leave? I live here!”

“But we heard….” Suddenly I find the floor very, very interesting. I don’t know if I have a right to what I’ve asked. Perhaps this Eddie is the family patriarch, and Sir North must leave for familial duties. Or perhaps it’s something else.

Either way, he looks at me and says, “I think we need to talk.”

Yes, yes we do.


A few seconds later, we are on the chaise. He looks drained, as though he’s been through a battle of wills that he has barely won…or barely lost. I wonder if I have anything to do with that. Then I remember the events of the past few months and I cannot help but be afraid. I am an interloper in his home, a guest that was never bidden to be here. I am nothing. I am less than nothing, the fever dreams and egotism of a mare who has since learned her lesson and tossed me aside – rightfully so.

But I owe him an answer. For all that he has done for me and for all that he has cared for me, I owe him that much. I shuffle my hooves nervously, wondering if this is the first, last and only time we will ever talk face-to-face before he throws me out of his home for being, well, me. Taking a breath for courage, I begin: “We…we suppose that we should start first: We are…our name is Nightmare Moon, and we are…we are a nightmare. The nightmare, truth be told.”

“I’m sorry, Moon, but I don’t follow.” The confusion on his face is as plain as moonlight and I then tell him everything.

About my past, and my shame.

About Luna, and her/our/my creation.

About my/our/her war against Celestia and the aftermath.

About my/our/her return to Equestria after a thousand years of exile, only to be bested by Celestia’s daughter and her shieldmaidens. “But we failed,” I tell him, “and for our crimes were sentenced to the moon for a thousand years – and now that we have failed to learn our lesson, we were banished here. We must wonder if we were even expected to survive the Elements’ assault.”

As I tell my tale, I watch him carefully; it may be the only warning I have before he evicts me. And yet…his eyes. They show both utter disbelief and, at the same time, genuine sorrow. And in this waking state, I cannot read his mind; that is not within my power. But the look on his face…is he horrified by my actions? Does he feel sorrow for what happened to me? Or for what happened to Luna? Will he trust me? Have I lost his friendship? Did I ever have it in the first place? He is not in Celestia’s orbit, not as I thought he was…but he’s not in mine, either, nor will he ever be. I am no princess…and he is only my knight in my eyes.

“Wait, a thousand years?”

“Celestia used the Elements of Harmony on us. It’s a powerful set of magical amulets which embody the spirit of harmony itself. Once used on an opponent, it becomes a fearsome weapon the likes which you have never seen.”

He seems to be grasping at comprehension; I can hardly blame him for that. “So…it’s like a direct hit from the Death Star?” he asks.

A Star of Death? Other than that being one of the epithets used for me during the war, I know nothing of a “death star”. “We are…not familiar with this ‘Star of Death’ you refer to.”

“Well, it’s a giant space station, an – waitaminnit, we’re getting off track; I’ll just show you Star Wars later. Anyway, go ahead.”

“We…see.” I scratch the back of my head nervously; it’s an odd habit, one I’ve never had until recently. I wonder if access to human media has exposed me to that. “In any case, after a thousand years, we returned with revenge in our hearts, but we were countered and defeated by the Elements of Harmony once more. By Celestia’s daughter. But this time, it was much worse for us.”

As the memories of pain and anguish return, I try to steel myself against them, but that’s not in the cards. “We were…painfully torn away from Luna, torn asunder by the very Elements themselves. It…it hurt.” I feel tears coming again and out of the corner of my eye, I see him reaching for me. I don’t know if it’s to throw me out or to comfort me, but regardless, I must remain strong to finish this – if it’s the last thing I do before I never see him again, I will give him his due. “We thank thee, but…we must be strong on our own.” I pause for breath briefly before finishing. “The next thing we remember aside was the very nightmare we were forced to live: being exiled here. And now we are here, a guest in thy manse – an unbidden, unwanted guest, no doubt. And now…thou art leaving us, abandoning us as we deserve.”

The look in his eyes is unreadable. I don’t want to leave. This, even in the smallest way, this has been my home for the past seven months. I don’t want to be alone. I want to mean something to somepony. And even though I don’t say it, I look at him and give him a silent plea: Please don’t abandon me.

I don’t want to be alone anymore. I don’t want to hide anymore. I’m so tired of this.

“Why did you choose to come out now? Why not before? You’ve obviously made yourself at home here, but you’ve never come out, even when I asked. Why now?”

Even though it will damn me, I tell him the truth. “When we first arrived, we thought thee a monster summoned by Celestia to eternally punish us for our sins…in our world, humans are to ponies as monsters are to thine; inequine beasts whose only purpose is to kill and terrorize. But as we got to know thee, we realized thou art kind and gentle…and it is we who art the monster.” I hear a choked sob and it ends before I realize that sound came from me. “Once we realized that we were the monster, we feared that thee would push us away once thou knew the truth. That we would lose the only friend we have had since our punishment, just as we have lost so much already.”

“How could you think you’re a monster?”

“We no longer know what we are. We were created from the pain and suffering of Princess Luna and now we have been ripped away from her. What are we now? What purpose do we have? Are we even real?”

One beat.

Two beats.

Three.

My heart rages in staccato.

And then…

he embraces me. He holds me close, runs his fingers through my mane, and whispers a simple question, one that I’ve struggled to answer these past few months: “Do you feel real?”

Yes, yes I do. And it hurts so much. The shame that I must live with. I am not even blessed enough to have forgotten my/our/her crimes. And in the end I must live with the memories. I thought I’d cried more than enough tears today. But more still come from me. My mouth is dry and my eyes feel red and stinging, yet the tears won’t stop.

And then he tells me something I long to hear: “Moon, you are no monster. I don’t know where you get that. If anything, what I see is a sad, lonely female in need of a friend.”

“Are we friends?” I dare. He looks at me and nods simply, giving me everything I’ve ever wanted. In return, I nuzzle him.

Well, it’s a friendly gesture and he is my friend…it’s not like there’s anything else behind it!

He holds me for the longest time and when we both pay attention, hours have gone by and I’m exhausted. In a good way. And hungry. He then looks down at me and asks, “You know, I’m famished. Why don’t we just order in tonight. Chinese okay with you?”

“Chinese?” Not familiar with it, but sure, I’m an adventurous mare.

Just from watching him, I learn how to use these “chopped sticks” pretty easily. He’s absolutely in awe of my magic. I wonder how he’d react if I told him that I’m just as in awe of human technology and that magic is rather pedestrian and utilitarian to me. As I take a bite of the Kung Pao Tofu, I’m impressed by the cooking – Chinese food has all the flavor and exoticness of Zhanguonese food, and from my/our/her last state visit just prior to the Crystal Empire incident, I recall a spicy bamboo dish that was very similar to this.

I wonder just how similar our worlds are. It will be something to study in the future. I take a sip of the merlot – I cannot countenance how Sir North stands that “beer” swill of his; wine is the gift of the land and a flavorful bounty to be had, nearly as valuable as orange juice…which I’ve since found out is extremely common here on Earth. I still can’t believe how stupid I felt when I discovered that.

During dinner, he tells me everything about himself. Like for starters, his family’s name isn’t Samsung; that’s the name of the artisans who built some of the electronics. His name is actually North Shores, a very stallionly sort of name, if you ask me. He tells me of his life growing up here in Los Angeles – the name of the major settlement here as well as the greater area – and of how he met his Rachel. Eventually he tells me about what happened, and I swear upon whatever I am left within me I will once again be the nightmare and visit every horrific crime on Russell if I can.

“Moon, I…just leave it be. Bastard’s rotting in jail for life and I don’t want to give him any extra victories by making him think anyone even remembers he exists.” I pause at that, but accede to his request. Even still, should Sir North ever change his mind, I will unleash Tartarus upon that monster, Russell. I may be a monster, but he is beyond that.

Finally, as dinner winds down, and Sir North serves us ice cream – I’m glad I didn’t eat that carton…or at least more than half of it – I have one final thing to ask. I have no right to do so, all things considered, but if he can arrange shelter for me until I find some means of taking care of myself, I will forever be indebted to him – more than I already am.

“We have nowhere else to go, but if you will be so kind as to allow us to loan us means of surviving for a short period of time, I would be forever in your debt.” That is what I mean to say. He doesn’t even let me get that far.

“You’re welcome to live with me,” he tells me, matter-of-factly, as if he hadn’t expected anything else. This man, this generous, honorable man wants me to say with him. Me! It’s all I can do to cry tears of joy.

For the first time that night, I’m welcomed to his bed.

No, not that way!

In any case, as I lie there, I tell him about my more positive experiences with the moon, and that I/we/she would have wished our ponies would have appreciated it more. But if that had been the case, I would not have come into being. As I think about it, a lullaby Mother – no, I don’t want to get into that argument right now – sang to me/us/her long ago came to mind, and before I know it, the soft, lilting melody is coming from my mouth. The song is in a language so old that I’m not even aware of what half of it means, only that it makes me think of Mother. I haven’t seen her in countless centuries, but now, with my exile, I probably never will again.

But at least I have someone here with me, and better exile than being imprisoned once more…or worse, imprisoned in the place you’ve been exiled to.

Before I know it, I’m drifting off to sleep, my head falling towards the pillow.


When I wake up with the first rays of dawn, I see him, still laying there, asleep and at peace. No more nightmares – well, okay, one, as I’m still here – and things will be better from now on. I’m sure of it. Finally, as I’m watching him, he opens his eyes, briefly blinking away the last vestiges of slumber.

“Good morning, Sir North,” I tell him, happy to experience a morning for the first time in ages.

“Morning, Moon,” he says back, giving me a half-awake smile. He then props his head up with his hand, giving me a more studious look. “So what now?”

What now, indeed. As I turn to glance out the window, I acknowledge to myself that I need to seriously consider it. What will I make of myself in this world? I wish to learn more about it, to become an expert at these devices and knowledge so that should I ever return to Equestria, I may be able to better my little po…my fellow ponies. But I may never have that chance…and I may never even have the chance to study all here. I am, after all, an alien in a world that may never understand or desire me. And having played enough of their games – and having beaten them in quite a few of those – I know what humans can sometimes think about extraterrestrials such as me.

Even still…if this be my exile, I’d rather it be my home. My choice is clear.

Turning back to Sir North, I say with a smile, “I think….I’ll live.”