• Published 2nd Sep 2014
  • 15,254 Views, 648 Comments

he. she. we. - Shinzakura



A man, empty. A mare, damaged. A life, lived. A life - loved.

  • ...
58
 648
 15,254

INTERLUDE I

Seated at her desk, Princess Celestia smiled, a melancholy movement of her mouth at the Pyrrhic victory she’d obtained: She’d been informed that Chrysalis and her heavily-decimated troops had been found on the edge of the badlands, wounded and starving and had surrendered quickly. The rogue queen was taken into custody by the Confederation of Changeling Queens, while her surviving changelings were split amongst the other queens. Additionally, those queens had immediately dispatched a bevy of diplomats to apologize on behalf of the Confederation and to give their most heartfelt apologies to Princess Cadance and her husband Prince Shining Armor.

If they’d only corralled her sooner, Celestia sighed, rubbing her still-sore horn. The Confederation, a result of the last war between ponies and changelings, had for the most part kept the peace since its inception. Unfortunately, when the changeling tribes squabbled amongst themselves, they let monsters like Calyx or Chrysalis slip through their ranks.

Which reminds me…. Celestia turned to her secretary, Raven. “When is the next scheduled meeting with the Confederation?”

Raven fluttered through her appointment book, looking for it. “Queen Pollen has suggested one in two months. They plan Chrysalis’ trial at that time and have asked you to attend on behalf of the injured parties.”

“Have a note dispatched to Pollen and tell her I will attend, but that I insist the trial must be fair, even for Chrysalis. Now, is there anything else that needs my attention?”

“No, your highness,” the alabaster unicorn replied. “I was actually going to wrap up for the day myself. Have to finalize my new apartment, as well as order some new furniture for my place.”

Celestia sighed at that; while most of Canterlot had survived the invasion, there were a number of homes and shops damaged or even destroyed; in Raven’s case, her apartment complex had been utterly demolished when one of the changelings had tried to emulate an Ursa Minor. Since then, she’d been staying in the castle while the rebuilding had gone on.

“Raven, find whatever you like and have them send me the bill.”

Raven’s eyes widened. “But Princess! I couldn’t! You’ve done more than enough for me!”

Celestia smiled. “And you’ve done far more for me, dear Raven – I’d be buried in mounds of paperwork otherwise. Please, if you must, just consider it a reward for continued service.”

“My thanks, my princess.” Raven bowed deeply in gratitude to her ruler before she added, “And now I must depart. Have a pleasant evening, your majesty.”

“Have a wonderful day and I hope to see you tomorrow,” Celestia said, setting down her quill and papers. Now that her (nominally) long day was over, Celestia wondered what to do next. She could see if Twilight was available; her ever-faithful student was still in town for a couple of days, spending time with her parents. Likewise, she could get to know one of the other Bearers as well; if they had become her formerly-bookish protegée’s best friends, they would be good to know. And last but not least, was Spike, though he was likely with Twilight.

A second later, her decision was made for her: one of the Lunar Guards, resplendent in his black-and-silver barding, knocked, then bowed. “Your highness, I have come on behalf of my nocturnal liegelady. She would like to see you at your first convenience.”

“Is something wrong?”

The even look from his face fell. “What happens when the Mistress of Dreams encounters Nightmares?”

Celestia didn’t bother to respond, instead teleporting to her sister’s room.

When she arrived, her younger sister was panting heavily, another of her guards tending to her needs with a glass of water.

“Sister!” The moment Celestia appeared, Luna leapt out of bed and glomped the elder alicorn. Celestia wrapped both forelegs and wings around her sister, and with a look, the guard departed. The two held each other for a while, the only sound in the room being that of the older sibling’s soothing words, and the younger’s sobbing.

After a few minutes, Celestia finally broke the embrace to look at Luna. “Do you want to talk about it?”

Luna nodded. “She still lives, sister – the Nightmare still lives!”

“But didn’t Twiligh—”

“I had thought so too, until this night. I felt the stirrings of it awakening once more. I don’t know where – it was too weak for me to obtain a location. But it still lives, and so long as it does, I’ll never be safe!”

“I will never let it harm you again,” Celestia vowed, looking straight into her sister’s terror-stricken eyes. “Nor would anyone else: You are Equestria’s beloved Princess of the Night and the world will unite against it to shield you.” The sun alicorn reached down with an unshod hoof, wiping the tears from her sister’s eyes. “You need never be afraid of that monstrosity ever again.”

“My thanks,” she said, sighing in contentment. “But I fear that I am no longer the initial target.”

“What do you mean?”

Despite her calm, the look in Luna’s eyes was one of worry: “I believe the Nightmare to be searching for a new host. What will happen if it finds one?”

Author's Note:

Just a short little thing to let you know that we're still moving on, slowly but surely.