• Published 8th Sep 2014
  • 727 Views, 16 Comments

Rarity and Tom's Magical Adventure - OneWingedDevil



Rarity brings Tom on a diplomatic visit to the Crystal Kingdom. Adventure ensues.

  • ...
0
 16
 727

True, True Love

Before the dawn of the first day for Twilight’s trip, the Ponyville market was slowly waking up. Ponies moved around with quiet purpose as they set up their stalls in preparation for the morning mass of ponies that will be starting their day in a couple hours. Pleasant greetings were exchanged among a few of the merchant ponies as they went along their business, and some transactions were carried out in the early light of day while ponies still had the time to shop freely. Applejack was among the ones doing the most business, as many ponies failed to eat before setting up in the marketplace, and since she was one of the first ponies to arrive every morning, she had plenty of time to wander the stalls and offer a discounted rate on the Apple Farm crop before she officially opened the stall. Right now, she was attempting to persuade one very obstinate pony that she needed to take a break and get something quick to eat. After all, she was doing some pretty heavy work.

“Sure yah don’t want any apples there, hun? Least ah can do for yah if yah keep insisting on doin’ this yerself.”

The pony in question slowly came up from her sprawled out position on the ground into a sitting one, as a light blue glow came over her horn and her burden. “I said I’m fine, Applejack.” She let out a deep puff as she continued to drag her rock along the path to the library, leaving a trail at least a few inches deep in the ground as she failed again in picking it up.

Applejack chuckled at Rarity’s attempts to drag Tom through the marketplace. Rarity didn't have that much trouble last time she was carting it around. Maybe Discord made it even heavier after he was let out the second time around? She’d have to ask him next time she went to Fluttershy’s.

As Rarity flopped down to the ground again, having moved Tom a mere two feet from where he was previously, Applejack couldn't help but comment on it further. “Y’know, Rare, the other girls are always gettin’ on me about goin’ in over mah head. Maybe they should start tellin’ it to you too.”

Rarity blew her mane out of her eyes from her prone position on the ground. She’d be spending most of the train ride in the bathroom fixing the mess this thing was helping cause, but she had to keep her goal in mind. Right now, that was getting this to Twilight’s in preparation for their little stunt. Small steps, she told herself. It’s never as bad it you keep things small. Bring it just a few more feet first, then worry about the rest of the distance.

She heard a mushing sound come from behind as Applejack noisily chewed on one of her apples, trying to wear Rarity down psychologically. As much as she’d like some help, it’d lead to questions, and she didn't want to answer questions right now. Thinking was hard enough by this point, and keeping her stories straight with everypony here could only get more difficult as she brought in more ponies. Maybe. She was certain she could have charmed a few stallions into carrying this without asking questions if she’d thought of it yesterday. Now all the promising candidates were asleep. Buck her shortsightedness.

Applejack finished her apple by the time Rarity had recovered enough to resume normal breathing. “So why yah dragging Tom out here anyway? Ah thought you got rid o’ him a while back.”

Rarity huffed before standing up yet again to continue her role as Sishoofus. She really wished AJ would stop pressing the point. “Twilight and I are heading up to the Crystal Kingdom, and this thing is going to be our luggage so the guards will be forced to use the train instead of the coach so she can pretend she’s still a normal pony. It is all perfectly reasonable, Applejack, and my troubles he-”

“Naaaaah.” Applejack did the best impression of Rainbow that she could. The little twitch Rarity gave her showed she hit the tone just right. “Twi could say she wanted tah take the train anyway. None o’ us could just convince her ah’ that. Yer good enough at calmin’ her, though, so ah’m thinking you wanna bring this ol lug”- tapping Tom with a single hoof -” along. So why’re yah so interested in bringin’ it, Rare?” The smugness in AJ’s voice was evident, as she knew Rarity would eventually give in. She just got to have a little fun before helping her friend, that’s all.

The first yellow flag went up when the magic field cut out around Tom. As she turned around to look at Rarity, the second yellow flag shot up when AJ realized that a long, seething hiss was coming the unicorn. All the red flags came up when AJ saw her eye was twitching. Not the usual “Exasperated Rarity” twitch, but the “Borderline Explosive Twilight” twitch. AJ gave a single gulp, and really hoped Rarity hadn’t also picked up on Twi’s temp-

“APPLEJACK!”

AJ locked up, and every pony in the marketplace watching the affair from a distance immediately sprang into defensive positions behind the nearest solid object. Those who were working instead followed suit mere moments later. Everyone began searching for the nearest object to use as earplugs as well, since Rarity’s tantrums were the stuff of legend in Ponyville, and they knew the stories by heart.

Applejack stared into Rarity’s eyes, a fire eerily similar to the one normally seen when she was designing dresses drowning out everything else in her vision. Helpless, she felt herself get picked up by magic and forced awkwardly onto her hind legs before being dragged over to Rarity, who had joined her in standing on hind legs only. It was a really awkward and terrible position, and AJ was hoping this wasn’t the start of some dev-

“WHAT DO YOU REMEMBER OF BLOOMBERG?”

Fear made way for confusion as AJ tried to figure out where Rarity was going with this. “Um, ah’m not really-”

“DO YOU REMEMBER WHY YOU BROUGHT HIM OUT TO APPLELOOSA? WHAT HIS PURPOSE WAS?”

Applejack tried to keep up as best she could. “Yeah, Appleloosa needed a starter crop fer-”

“BLOOMBERG HAD A MISSION. A SACRED DUTY WITH HIS FELLOW TREE BRETHREN TO BRING LIFE WHERE THERE WAS NONE, TO PROVIDE SUSTENANCE AND SHADE TO A PLACE LACKING IN BOTH, YET OTHER SUCH NOBLE GOALS EXIST, APPLEJACK!”

Rarity pirouetted, bringing AJ around to face Tom. “THIS IS A ROCK THAT HAS LIVED A HARD LIFE, APPLEJACK. THERE IS NOTHING SPECIAL OR UNIQUE ABOUT THIS ROCK TO SEPARATE IT FROM ANY OTHER, EXCEPT FOR THE FACT THAT IT HAS EARNED MY IRE FOR SERVING AS A PAWN TO THE DREADFUL CHAOTIC ONE, A ROLE IT COULD NOT CHOOSE. FOR STANDING IN THE WAY OF HARMONY ITSELF, IT HAS BEEN CONDEMNED TO A LIFE OF SUFFERING ETERNAL. YET THERE ARE FORCES THAT CAN REDEEM IT!”

Rarity spun around again, this time pointing AJ toward Rose’s flower stall. “IN THAT DIRECTION, MANY MILES AWAY, IS A MANIFESTATION OF HOPE AND LOVE ITSELF! A BEACON OF LIGHT THAT HAS GUIDED PONIES AWAY FROM SLAVERY AND DESPAIR INTO A WORLD OF PEACE AND HARMONY! I SPEAK OF THE CRYSTAL HEART! THE ONLY GEM THAT CAN SAVE TOM, THE ONLY ROCK WORTHY OF SOMEONE WHO HAS WEATHERED FATE’S UNKIND HOOF AND STILL COME OUT STRONG ON THE OTHER END!”

AJ was turned one last time, looking again at Rarity and her terrifying eyes. “THIS IS A STORY OF LOVE, APPLEJACK! IT IS ALWAYS A STORY ABOUT LOVE, AND I SHALL SEE THAT IT IS PENNED IF I MUST CARRY BOTH TOM AND HIS BURDENS TO THE CRYSTAL EMPIRE MYSELF! DO YOU STAND IN MY WAY, APPLEJACK? DO YOU STAND IN THE WAY OF LOVE?”

Rarity’s verbal assault had already destroyed several windows, and some of the flimsier stalls had collapsed as the sound rattled nails and glue loose from where they should have been. Being next to her the whole time, Applejack was little more than a sputtering mess. “Ah- Wh- No, I- Ah-”

Rarity finally dropped Applejack, and muscle memory alone kept her standing as Rarity directed her energy to lifting Tom several feet over their head. “YOU HAVE CARRIED OUT YOUR MISSION, APPLEJACK. IT IS TIME I SEE TO MINE. COME TOM, YOUR PRINCESS AWAITS!”

Rarity galloped away, Tom weaving dangerously in the air as he nearly impacted several buildings and a street lamppost while following her. As they both disappeared around the corner, silence descended on the market for the first time since Rarity had arrived. Many ponies began fixing the damage to their stalls and goods, while Glazier, not normally up for the next several hours, began sizing up the damage to the nearby windows for storefront properties in advance of being asked.

As Rarity galloped towards the library high on adrenaline, Tom drunkenly following behind, her inner critic remained lucid enough to evaluate her performance. Absolutely atrocious handling of the questions, it thought, and everyone would be talking about this for months. This was the entire scenario she had hoped to avoid! But, no one would dare ask her questions directly for at least a few weeks after the show she put on, and by then she’ll have figured things out and have a strategy to mitigate the damage to her reputation. Yes, everything is going to be just perfect.

Most of the stalls in Ponyville Market opened ten or twenty minutes later than usual. For the first time in almost eight years, when a late night weather mishap had flooded Sweet Apple Acres and carried the beds of everypony there several miles away from town, the Apple stand opened an hour late, with AJ at the helm. She dealt wordlessly with her customers as she waited for her hearing to return, and cursed the mischievousness she had picked up from Rainbow Dash over the past few weeks.

Author's Note:

Hot-blooded Rarity should be in all the anime.