• Published 7th Sep 2014
  • 2,352 Views, 56 Comments

Revelation - The Infinity Doctor



There are many things Booker DeWitt could be described as- a drunkard, a gambler, a professional in his field, and on occasion, a loving father. Contracted by a mysterious client, Booker and his three-year-old daughter find themselves in Equestria.

  • ...
3
 56
 2,352

Alive and kickin'

"So...let me get this straight..." Booker muttered, rubbing tiredly at his face as "Shock-Jockey" and Anna slept peacefully beside him on Ditzy's sofa "you stole an unknown, highly powerful substance, which you knew nothing about...and mixed them..."

Twilight nodded sheepishly, blushing as she tried to keep eye contact with Booker.

"You're fuckin' insane..." Booker muttered to the princess.

"You...you're not mad?" Twilight asked.

"Oh no, I'm mad- really mad, you and I are going to have a talk about this in the morning..."

Twilight's ears splayed back as her head lowered, not able to look Booker in the eye.

"Which two did you use?" Booker asked, genuinely curious.

"I...I don't know..." Twilight replied, thinking back "I...one was green, and the other was purple..."

"So you mixed Shock Jockey, and...either Possession or Charge," Booker guessed "though given, I think it's safe to assume it was the former."

"Um...how did it happen?" Ditzy asked, mirroring what Booker was thinking.

"I'm not so sure..." Twilight admitted, then looking to Booker "...this 'Possession', what does it do?"

"Exactly what it is," Booker replied "somehow it tricks the target into fighting for you."

"What practical application would this have in real life?" Ditzy asked "And why would you need somepony to fight for you?"

"It's...just the way things were, back home." Booker half-lied.

Twilight adopted a curious expression, then shook her head, presumably to continue thinking.

"If that's the case...then that could very well be the answer!" Twilight answered excitedly.

"I'm afraid I don't follow." Booker stated.

"Me too." Ditzy agreed.

"Well, it's plausible that the power of the Possession was boosted by the natural thaumaturge channels flowing through the air, and when it was combined with the..."

"Shock-Jockey."

"Er, yes- when combined with the Shock-Jockey, it must've resulted in a magical collapse of the thaumati circulating in the air."

"What?" Booker asked.

"Or maybe a magnetic dissonance in the thermosphere, where the natural laws of magic didn't agree with the supernatural powers of the liquids." Ditzy suggested.

"That could very well be a-" Twilight stopped, then stared at Ditzy "how did you know about that?"

Ditzy shrugged modestly.

"Living with two unicorns gives you some motivation to do some light reading, in case of accidents..." Ditzy said, blushing.

"Just what the hell are you two talking about?" Booker asked, his head starting to ache.

"Just some theories, Mr. DeWitt," Twilight replied, then grew concerned "...did you not understand any of that?"

"Not a word." Booker replied.

Twilight went slack-jawed.

"Bu-But- surely your kind must have an advanced knowledge of magic in order to create such powerful potions!"

"Potion, Vigor- hell, they could be both, but it sure as hell doesn't seem like magic to me..."

"I...I...how? Tell me how a your kind, a race with no knowledge of advanced spellbinding or potion-making, could make the liquids!"

"I've got no idea, Sparkle," Booker said, then cringed "I know it's at least one-part science, the rest? You got me."

"I...I need to think on this..." Twilight said, staring at the floor as she rubbed her head "thank you for having me, Ditzy."

"No problem, the three of us hardly have visitors!" Ditzy replied cheerfully.

Twilight walked to the door, then gave a backward glance as she left, slowly closing the door.

Booker rubbed his eyes and stood, mindful of the ceiling this time. Taking both Anna and the purple-maned foal into his arms, he followed Ditzy, whom had slid a wing under Dinky, and carried her on her back.

Booker traversed the hall, and entered a small room. Carefully setting them both on the bed, he allowed Ditzy to do the same.

"Mister DeWitt?" Ditzy asked.

"Yeah?" the tired man answered.

"Are you alright?"

"No...I don't think so."

Booker jumped as a feathery wing eased around his stomach.

Using his foot, Booker slowly pushed Ditzy away from him, and walked to his room. He then eased the door closed, leaving Ditzy in the hall.

"Oh...um...okay-"