• Published 2nd Sep 2014
  • 1,165 Views, 39 Comments

The Fragments of Symphony - Sky Blue CMC



When Doctor Whooves travels to Canterlot in the TARDIS and sees Octavia acting like a DJ, the Doctor realises that he mixed up the Fragments of Symphony! Can he return his friends to normal in time for the big event?

  • ...
2
 39
 1,165

Chapter VIII: The Aurora Flash

Author's Note:

Previously on The Fragments of Symphony:

The Doc and his friends saw the doom,
That'd happen, should Changelings consume
All the love in a dash,
So they made a big flash
Of aurora: a Sonic Timeboom!

The Sonic Timeboom was a success, causing an aurora flash to occur at the time it was produced. What's more is that Doctor Whooves and his friends had chosen the day Rainbow Dash created the Sonic Rainboom with her sheer awesomeness and helped her what were then future friends earn their Cutie Marks. This day is going to be perfect! The Doctor thought. Midnight Twinkle and her friends' Cootie Marks will all be affected in some way or other, causing my newfound Fragment of Time to actually be of use! If the Fragments are anything like the Elements, another five ponies will earn their Cootie Marks at the same time.

On that same day, near the Sweet Drops Emporium, a young Earth pony with a beige coat, pigment blue mane with a rose pink streak, cerulean eyes, and no Cutie Mark was sick of choosing between two boring colours: black and white. For two boring candies with the same boring flavour of nothing. So she decided to do someting about that. The newlywed Cake couple had just opened a shop together: Sugarcube Corner. The filly, having heard about this, decided to go there. When she arrived, Mrs. Cake welcomed her with a smile.

"Welcome to Sugarcube Corner, where smiles come alive!" Mrs. Cake exclaimed.

"What's your name, little filly?" Mr. Cake asked.

"Me?" the filly asked. "I'm Bon Bon. You must be Mr. and Mrs. Cake! I'm looking for something that can make my candies sweet instead of bland."

"I'm sorry." Mrs. Cake replied. "We just used the last of our sugar to make our desserts."

As soon as those words left the light-blue-coated mare's mouth, a big explosion was heard followed by a twinkle. The twinkle in question was none other than the resonance of the Sonic Timeboom! As soon as Bon Bon heard it, she knew what she needed to do. She needed to mix her candies with love, not magic or sugar. When she realised this, her flank flashed for a second, and then her Cutie Mark had appeared. It was three objects that unmistakenly represented candies.

At the same time in Canterlot, a certain light-grey-brown Earth filly was having trouble finding an instrument to play. She decided a guitar didn't have enough class, a violin wasn't big enough, and a bass was too big. The Sonic Timeboom happened at the exact right moment, for when she laid her eyes on a cello, she heard a twinkle. A twinkle that, though saying nothing, told the filly that this was the one. She played the cello, and, in a literal flash, her Cutie Mark appeared. It was a purple coloured treble clef. She played a song that is remembered to this day: "I am Octavia!"

A young mint-green Unicorn pony in Ponyville School of Music and Magic was frustrated at her inability to play instuments or cast spells. She tried the guitar, cello, bass, even the harp, all in vain. She saw an instrument that called to her with a twinkle. Then she heard a double explosion and felt a powerful magic surge flow through her horn. The unicorn picked up the instrument with her magic, a golden aura, and played a few chords of a song she tried to write while playing.

"The music of the night," she began to sing, "a Golden Melody, can shine a little light, on Illucidity!"

"That was absolutely beautiful, miss Heartstrings!" Professor Dubilee exclaimed in delight.

"Thank you sir," she replied, "But I prefer to be called Lyra."

"Well then, Lyra," Dubilee replied, "there's something else."

"More?" Lyra asked.

Professor Dubilee pointed at Lyra's flank, which now had a replica of that instrument on it. "It's called a lyre." he told her. "It suits you name and musical abilities so well that I'll allow you to keep the one you played."

"My Cutie Mark!" Lyra exclaimed with joy. Then she chanted the word "Yes" several times, dancing on air with excitement.

Another Unicorn pony in Ponyville was having the same frustration, this one white with red eyes. She was trying to open a door like a good doormare should. But this little filly didn't want to be a doormare. She wanted to play a kind of music called "wubs" that she made up. She heard the voice of her mother.

"Eveline! The door!" the mare exclaimed. "There's somepony on the other side!"

Eveline, who wanted to be called Vinyl, or maybe even DJ P0N3, opened the door with a frown. Her flank was still blank, meaning that opening doors wasn't her destiny. That frown turned into a straight face as she realised that this meant her destiny could be wubbing.

As soon as she realised this, Eveline decided to run to the music shop, without greeting the guest, and see if they had a DJ turntable there. She gave the name "Vinyl Scratch" to the clerk, and requested for the turntable to be engraved with the letters "DJ P0N3" on it.

As turntables aren't the most... portable of instruments, Vinyl decided to just play it there for now and wait for it to be mailed to her at night, when her parents were sleeping. That turned out to be pointless, as a loud blast of music the next night woke them up anyway.

"EVELINE!!!" her mother exclaimed in a rage. "WHAT IS THAT AWFUL NOISE?!!!!"

"It's called wubs, mom!" Vinyl replied. "And I'm DJ P0N3 now!" Vinyl's words were made true as soon as they were spoken. Her flank flashed briefly, and a black pair of beamed eighth notes appeared on it.

A grey-blue Pegasus filly in Cloudsdale was crying because she was being bullied for her wall-eyes and lack of a Cutie Mark. She heard a voice, and looked up to see an unfamiliar brown Pegasus stallion looking down at her. "Hm…? That sounds like a child crying..." he said, flapping, then landed on a cloud. In a more comforting voice, he asked the filly "Hey there little pony, what are you doing here all by your-.... Self?"

"Go away, leave me alone!" the filly exclaimed. "I don’t want ponies calling me names anymore!"

The brown pony, still trying to comfort the little filly, said "Now, now, don’t worry. I’m not going to call you names."

The blue-grey filly, still crying, asked "You aren’t?"

The brown pony, still trying to comfort the little filly, replied "No, I would never."

The grey-blue filly asked the brown stallion "Who are you?"

The brown pony, not wanting to give a name, told her "I’m... uh, a friend, just passing through." Then he asked "So tell me, what’s the problem?"

The blue-grey filly replied "It’s just... ever since I came here, I’ve tried to make friends, but ponies just take one look at me, and they avoid me and call me names...make fun of my eyes... I didn’t even do anything to them, I just wanted to be friends.... I just don’t know what went wrong." She cried some more, then said "It’s the same every day here. My parents always told me that it was the inside that counts, but what’s the point if ponies just judge you by your looks anyway?" She broke down crying.

The brown pony tried to cheer up the filly with the thing he said next "Listen I know things seem really bad now, but things will get better soon. Trust me, I’ve been through a lot of tough times I thought would never end, but I’m happy now, life is full of highs and lows, but the lows are worth going through to get to the highs. And if those ponies don’t like you just because of your eyes, well then they probably weren’t the friends for you to begin with."

The grey-blue filly, filled with a dash of hope, asked the brown pony "Do you think I’ll ever make any friends?"

The brown pony said with confidence "I know so." Then he asked her "Do you feel better now?"

The blue-grey filly, a bit happy, said "A little."

The brown pony, happy to have helped, said "That’s a good pony, now go on and get back to practicing flying, I need to meet up with somepony."

The grey-blue filly asked "Wait Mister, will I ever see you again?"

The brown pony, looking back to his memories with Derpy, said "Um… I’m sure we’ll meet sometime. In the future."

The young Derpy, thankful for what this brown stranger had done, said "Okay, thanks for making me feel better mister." Then she ran off and then tripped "I’m fine!" She exclaimed. She looked down at her flank and noticed that there were nine bubbles on it. Or was it seven? Then she got up and ran again.

The brown pony said something, though it was too quiet for young Derpy to hear. He said "You’re welcome Ditzy."

Another version of the brown stallion in the air, this one an Earth pony, looked up to the sky from his TARDIS and saw himself comforting the young Derpy. "I wonder when I become a Pegasus?" he asked himself. "Who cares about that, we gotta move if we're going to find out how to create the aurora flash with the Fragments of Symphony so that these events can happen!" he exclaimed. "Allons-y!"