• Published 2nd Sep 2014
  • 1,166 Views, 39 Comments

The Fragments of Symphony - Sky Blue CMC



When Doctor Whooves travels to Canterlot in the TARDIS and sees Octavia acting like a DJ, the Doctor realises that he mixed up the Fragments of Symphony! Can he return his friends to normal in time for the big event?

  • ...
2
 39
 1,166

Chapter IV: The Fragment of Fidelity

Doctor Whooves was worried that Tavi and Vinyl's little scene would go on forever, and that the damage of the eclipse's mix-up would never be undone, so he interrupted. "Derpy! No-one's in the kitchen with Lyra! She needs your help making those muffins! Lyra needs your help, she's trying hard doing what she can!"

"Would you try, just give it a chance?" Octavia added. "You might find that you'll start to understand!"

After this, the crew travelled back to the Royal Kitchen, where Lyra was alone trying to make muffins. And failing. Miserably. "I just don't know what went wrong!" was heard in Lyra's voice over all the clamour.

"What could you do? What could I do?" Derpy Hooves asked. "Give me a smidge of confidence, give me a speck of something that makes sense! Give me an idear of dependency, give me the Fragment of Fidelity! Fidelity! I could save this muffin batch for you! But the feelin' in my tum can't follow through! (Can't follow through!) You can give your burnt muffins to mihi! 'Cause you know I'll eat 'em with you, that's why I'm called Fidelity!"

This was a song that not even I had heard! the Doctor thought to himself. If someone could play an acoustic guitar or a mandolin while she sang it, it would sound a lot better. "No time for a song!" the Doctor shouted. "Unless you sing while you work."

Derpy sang a completely different song this time. "Lyra, won't you glow? Lyra, won't you glow? Lyra, won't you glow your horn?"

Lyra tried again, and the next batch of muffins didn't turn out quite as well as she had hoped. Derpy kept tasting and criticising them. "Too green!" Lyra baked another batch "Too yellow!" And another. "Too many bluberries!" And another. "Not enough blueberries!" And another. "Too oaty!" And one last batch. "Too... shiny! Now careful, Lyra! We don't wanna cause any more damage than we've already done!"

Lyra said something she said twice before: "I just don't know what went wrong!"

Derpy replied "Yeah. It's a mystery!"

"Maybe you should try making muffins instead of eating Lyra's!" the Doctor suggested. He immediately regretted saying this when Derpy broke into song. As much as he loved music, hearing song after song got rather tiresome after a while.

"I'll cook up a solution with the muffins I will mix! They say a kitchen time saves nine, but I'm just saving six! I've gathered the ingredients to make it Muffin Day! There's hardly room for seconds when the seconds melt away!" Derpy sang as she preheated the oven, gathered the ingredients, and made the batter. "Watch as I work my Derpsy Magic, half cup of oats and blueberries! Watch as the matter turns to batter, open the Portal I'm free! Crude start, do you fear it Lyra Heart-strings? There's just no explanation for the muffin-making art!"

And just like that, half of her Cutie Mark returned to normal: three bubbles appeared on the upper half of her flank. Half her Cootie Mark? the Doctor thought. Is that because Derpy doubles as a mailmare? Maybe if I show her that she can write letters, she'll get the other half! I can't tell her directly, though. "Derpy!" the Doctor exclaimed, "I'm about to write a letter to Carrot Top! Maybe somepony with wings could deliver it for me!"

"Carrot Top? The Muffin Demon? I'm not letting her steal my recipes, that's for sure." Derpy responded.

Doctor Whooves started writing his letter, it went as follows:

Non-Dear Carrot Top, my companion and I are working on a new recipe of muffin: Caramel-Carrot-Covered Delight! We will never tell you the recipe, ever! What we've come up with so far tastes delicious! You must be so jealous of us!

Sincerely Yours,

Clockwork

"Okay, it's done! Send it, anyone with wings!" the Doctor exclaimed, hoping that Derpy was listening. He dropped the letter on the floor, and, almost immediately, Derpy picked it up with her hoof. She flew to the Castle atrium, which now had the royalties Princess Celestia and Guard Captain Shining Armour, as well as over a thousand visitors. They all appeared to be waiting for someting big, like a ceremony of some sort. There was a Royal Wedding that day, but Princess Mi Amore Cadenza was nowhere to be found. The Doctor thought to himself If the bride is really just getting ready, I'm not a madpony with a box!

After two minutes, a sanguine-faced, orange-maned pony with a Cutie Mark of three carrots angrily asked "WHICH ONE OF YOU IS CLOCKWORK?!"

Well, the mailing seemed to work! the Doctor thought. The other four bubbles returned to Derpy's lower flank, meaning three mares were unmixed. J-Just two... m-m-more mares, Doctor! He could feel at least 1.21 gigawatts of energy inside him, more than a human or normal pony could handle. How much longer could he last?

Author's Note:

"No-one's in the kitchen with Lyra!" and "Lyra, won't you glow your horn?" are references to "Someone's in the kitchen with Dyna!" The first song Derpy quoted is AcoustiMandoBrony's Loyalty, with a few changes. "mihi" actually means "to me" in Latin. Example "da mihi stellas" means "give the stars to me" in Latin.

My favourite part so far: "I'll cook up a solution with the muffins I will mix! They say a kitchen time saves nine, but I'm just saving six! I've gathered the ingredients to make it Muffin Day! There's hardly room for seconds when the seconds melt away! Watch as I work my Derpsy Magic, half cup of oats and blueberries! Watch as the matter turns to batter, open the Portal I'm free! Crude start, do you fear it Lyra Heart-strings? There's just no explanation for the muffin-making art!"