• Published 8th Jan 2015
  • 2,824 Views, 115 Comments

Upheaval: Legacy - Visiden Visidane



Spike travels to the Western Barrier Land to reconcile with his heritage.

  • ...
10
 115
 2,824

Seethe Scale and Lanfadora

Upheaval: Legacy

Chapter 5: Seethe Scale and Lanfadora

For all the decades she had spent hunting down dragons, Seethe Scale had always relied on one trait they shared as a race: their utter unsociability. Though they tolerated the rare gathering of large numbers of their own kin, dragons were naturally suspicious of one another and would not stand for living anywhere within miles of another dragon’s lair. This made hunting and killing them much easier. Though they were powerful individually, Seethe Scale could always count on their utter refusal to call for help. Even the Draco’dim only came together for extremely rare situations and never more than two at a time.

Standing within this gigantic cavern, Seethe Scale counted herself lucky that this was the case. A unified dragon assault would easily tear through a realm, leaving only fire and ashes in its wake. Here she was with four prominent dragons outside the Draco’dim, about to do something that might lead to that end. Nevertheless, the prince asked her to do this, and she would see it through to the end. She surveyed the cavern, taking note of each dragon that had defied its instinctual distrust of its kin just to be here. They were so deep inside the mountain that no light penetrated this cave.

First was Himfadora, the envy dragon who helped bring this group together. She perched on top of a great stalagmite, her long, sinuous tail coiling around it. From the way she surveyed the others, she seemed to have naturally assumed that she was the leader of this group.

To Himfadora's right was Nazhadar, a sloth dragon, nearly her opposite in every way. While Himfadora was sleek and long, Nazhadar was compact and heavily built. She glowered over the others from her perch while he huddled into his niche within the rock. Her crest rose proudly, running from her head, down her spine, and to the tip of her tail. The thick, bony plates that covered him from snout to tail made him seem part of the mountain. Sloth dragons were often derided by the rest of their kin as strongly resembling turtles. They would have taken umbrage over such remarks, if they didn't think it was too much of a bother to do so.

Across the cavern from Himfadora was Drezhadar, the oddest one to be involved in this meeting. It was common enough knowledge among dragons that not every pride dragon supported the Draco’dim, but to find one who actually wished their destruction was rare indeed. The youngest among them, Drezhadar was smaller than the other dragons in the cave. What he lacked in size, he made up with sheer arrogance. Typical of pride dragons, his enormous four horns curved around each other to crown him. That he could keep his neck straight was remarkable. Even through darkvision, there was a gleam about his scales that promised splendor if seen in the light. This was not the first time Seethe Scale had encountered Drezhadar. She knew of that his scales gleamed gold. Even now, they demanded that everyone’s attention should be given to him. He held himself so confidently that he appeared on the same level as Himfadora despite sitting on the floor.

Then, there was Seifralhadar. Even mentally, Seethe Scale used that name for him this time. Spike the pony-born was not needed today. Today, he needed to be the last surviving hatchling of Reinfadora, the heir to Drellhadar’s works and, most of all, Prince Terrato’s agent within the dragons. He was behind her, taking shelter behind a large rock. It was difficult not to have some sympathy. He looked barely able to even stay in this cavern, let alone to stand among his kind.

As if to further mock Seifralhadar, several small, blue-green butterflies surrounded him. They fluttered about with their brightly luminescent wings as if he was the most tantalizing flower in all of Equestria, occasionally alighting upon him with impunity. These were the fearsome guardians of Drellhadar’s laboratory, the only occupants of that desolate hole in the ground.

Seethe Scale had expected something more sinister, something more fitting for all the stories of Drellhadar the Malformed. She wasn't disappointed yet. While these butterflies looked harmless, there was certainly an air of mystery around them. For one thing, it was impossible to count them. They “winked” in and out of existence as they fluttered around. There could be three or four of them. They also refused to leave Seifralhadar despite every efforts from the two of them. For the two days after that visit, they stayed by him, never needing any food or rest. They evaded claw and tail swipes with remarkable ease, and followed him everywhere. Seifralhadar had suggested dragon fire in desperation, but she cautioned against it. Who knew what would happen if these things were attacked with dragon flames?

“Everyone is here,” Seethe Scale told her charge. “It’s time to begin.”

Seifralhadar put on a brave face despite his shaking legs. He looked at her briefly, eyes asking for strength. It was Seethe Scale who found herself frozen. He was her charge; a responsibility given by the prince. But those eyes...she had experienced those eyes before. Not seen them. But where? Suddenly, she was conscious of the face she showed him, torn between keeping her distance and trying to lend him that strength he needed. The instant was gone, and she had to wonder what he saw. He looked as if he had composed himself as he slowly began to emerge from his hiding place.


For Spike, the past few days have been the most bizarre yet in his time with Seethe Scale. What he had hoped would be a journey into becoming stronger for his friends had turned into this complicated foray into the world of dragons. Not only that, he was going to enter it through the most dangerous way possible. The other dragons loomed over him from different directions. No matter where he looked, he found armor-plated scales, poison stingers, slashing claws, and rows and rows of pointed teeth. What was he supposed to do before such mighty creatures?

He had hoped to be surer after he visited Drellhadar’s laboratory; surer of his identity, and surer of his purpose here. He had expected something like Twilight’s laboratory back home, with oddly shaped bottles left and right, as well as a mountain of books he could go over to learn more about his father. Against all odds, he had even hoped that Drellhadar would have some kind of journal which would mention him. Instead, he was faced with an expanse of crystal. Everything, from the floor, to the walls, to the ceiling, was of the same material. The place would have been enough to make Rarity faint...and possibly foam at the mouth. Enormous spires of them jutted out of the ground in great formations that resembled snowflakes. As beautiful as the place was, however, it was also empty.

Save for the butterflies.

Spike had no idea where these things had come from. He had been terrified of meeting the guardians that supposedly still patrolled the laboratory. His mind conjured images of animated, dragon-shaped, stone statues and monstrous skeletons of unknown creatures. He had encountered no such things. Were these butterflies truly the deadly guardians of Drellhadar’s laboratory? And did their persistence indicate that he was Drellhadar’s son? Why did his father pick these? Either their graceful, fluttering forms disguised their immense power, or Drellhadar may be the one dragon Fluttershy wouldn't be scared of.

“Everyone is here. It’s time to begin.”

Seethe Scale’s words put an end to Spike’s speculations, throwing him back once more to the terrifying situation he was about to deal with. Just one of the dragons gathered in the cavern could crush him with a step. He looked to Seethe Scale, hoping she had something help him be at ease.

For a second, there was some kind of odd look on Seethe Scale's face, her impassive stare cracked, the horned ridges that were her eyebrows crinkled just a bit. She looked...lost. For that brief moment, it felt as if both of them were frightenedand alone. When this suddenly crossed Spike's mind, the impassive stare was back on.

Oddly heartened by the sight anyway, Spike put on as brave a face as he could, and stepped forward. Seethe Scale walked by his side as he presented himself before the gathered dragons.

“This is the one I have been talking about,” Himfadora said. “Look, Drellhadar’s creations circle him in recognition. He is truly the last son of Reinfadora!”

Nazhadar snorted. His voice rumbled and echoed within his massive, armored chest. With his eyes closed, it was as if he was talking in his sleep. “Bah! All I smell is a hatchling. What can we do with him? The Draco’dim need but one look to double over laughing.”

“If they do that, then I’ll start killing them while they’re distracted,” Drezhadar snapped. For such a proud and massive sight, he had an unusually high-pitched voice that made him seem boyish. He looked to Himfadora. “This is a dangerous gathering you have set up. I’m listening, but you better have more than just butterflies to prove that we can stand behind this hatchling as the dragon queen’s heir.”

Himfadora sneered. “Crush him then."

“What?” Spike cried out. “Hold on! Wa--” Spike looked desperately to Seethe Scale. She didn't look as if she even heard the exchange. He ran for it. He was done with this cave and he was done with these dragons. He was going to run all the way to the Heartland if he had to. Drezhadar drew himself to full height.

Spike got a single step forward when a heart-crushing wave of dread slammed into him. He gasped, and tried to clutch his chest, only to find his body rigid. He couldn't even turn his eyes.

“Typical pride dragon,” Himfadora said. “Can't catch anything you don't freeze with terror first. If nothing else, impressive control for one so young.”

Spike's heart hammered in his ears so loudly that his skull throbbed. A bit of a draft from Drezhadar's claw blew past him. He would have closed his eyes, but his eyelids wouldn't move.

One of the butterflies fluttered in front of Spike, its wings bathed in a steadily intensifying glow. His eyes watered, but he still couldn't close them. The brightness seared away his darkvision, leaving only a painful field of white. The light flashed, then flew from the creature like a spell from a unicorn.

Drezhadar’s pained roar shook the cavern violently. The fear broke, and Spike shut his eyes, pressing his claws softly against his eyelids in agony. He scrabbled against the stone floor to avoid a possible second claw strike. It was Seethe Scale’s that grabbed him by the shoulders, and held him close. Her fur was warm, especially in this cold, dank cave. He grabbed on to that fur tightly. Her heart, in contrast to his, was slow and steady. Wasn't she even worried that he was being attacked? Or was she so sure that he was going to be fine?

“Relax,” Seethe Scale said in her voice flat, almost pitiless. “It’s over.”

A minute passed before Spike’s darkvision recovered. His heart continued to pound and his legs wobbled. He had to balance himself with his tail. When the commotion both within the cave and within him had died down, the butterflies had gone back to just circling him. Drezhadar hunkered down, cradling his smoking right claw with his left one. Spike stepped back from Seethe Scale. She may not mind him being so close, but these other dragons would probably laugh at him for being so scared. He didn't know what he needed them as, but he knew it wasn't scornful of him.

“Are they still ‘just butterflies’, Drezhadar?” Himfadora hissed.

“Curse that scaleless wretch!” Drezhadar growled. “Curse him and his monstrosities!”

“Well, I’m convinced,” Nazhadar said. His slow rumble made him sound like he had just woken up. “Before we even continue, I must say that to have Lanfadora around is suspicious.”

The name threw Spike off. Lanfadora? Which one would that be? Seethe Scale had already told him all their names. It was only when he looked to where all their eyes went did he realize what was going on. Lanfadora was none other than the kirin next to him. He looked to her worriedly. He may doubt her different motives and her lack of concern left him feeling cold inside, but she was still the closest he had to an ally in this dark, frightening hole in the ground. Alone, there was no way he could face these dragons.

“The half-pony is here as Seifralhadar’s protector, sent by the pony prince,” Himfadora replied.

“Exactly,” Nazhadar said. “She is Equestria’s agent. We do not need interference from the ponies.”

“Reinfadora brought the ponies into this, Nazhadar, are you going to question her wisdom?" Himfadora asked.
Nazhadar looked as if he was trying to burrow into the cavern’s floor. “Of course not,” he grumbled. “I’m sure that the dragon queen did what was best, but I doubt she would approve of the dragon-slaying Lanfadora being so close to her last surviving hatchling.”

“Reinfadora killed more dragons in her last years than the half-pony could hope to kill in her lifetime,” Himfadora said. “She would approve of her son being around one so ruthless.”

There was a sense of familiarity in Himfadora's hiss when she spoke Spike's supposed mother's name. Her teeth looked worn, some were even broken. With her rasping tone she sounded like someone’s grandmother. Himfadora could be old enough to have known Reinfadora personally.

Drezhadar tapped the stone floor with a claw. “We are wasting time talking about the abomination,” he said. “Seifralhadar is the issue here.” He looked at Seethe Scale. “Although, we can start off with what the pony prince has to say about this whole issue.”

Seethe Scale continued to speak in that that distant tone Spike was accustomed to. Perhaps he had just imagined that odd flash of emotion from her. “The prince has brought Seifralhadar to this group so that he may, in turn, receive your aid in a future conflict.”

“Of course,” Nazhadar said. “Why else would the pony prince bother with us?” He raised himself up, and craned his short neck out as far as it could towards Seethe Scale. “He doesn't think he’ll get some of us to join his Legion does he? That would be a bother.”

“Hold,” Drezhadar said. He raised a claw for silence. Nazhadar looked at him indignantly, but said nothing. “You said 'future conflict'," he said to Seethe Scale. "Equestria is already fighting Wolvengard, Ursinium, and Ophidus. What else can it pick a fight with?”

“The prince does not expect any dragon to fight at his command,” Seethe Scale replied. ”Nor anything mundane like supplies.”

“Then, what does he want?” Drezhadar asked. “And who does he want us to aid him in fighting?”

All three dragons leaned closer towards Seethe Scale. Spike swallowed and grabbed a tuft of her fur again. Even at this distance, their breaths reeked of scorched flesh. He could have sworn there was a large bone stuck between Nazhadar’s teeth, and he didn't want to know what it belonged to.

“All the prince asks is that Seifralhadar be allowed to inherit everything from his parents,” Seethe Scale said. “Both of them.”

“You’re dodging my other question, abomination,” Drezhadar said. “Who are we fighting if not the wolven, the ursans, and the ophidites?”

“Ponies.”

The three other dragons in the cavern were forgotten. Suddenly, that dream Spike had before came back to him: Seethe Scale attacking Ponyville, the screams at the sight of him, the carnage… “Seethe Scale?” he asked.

Seethe Scale didn't even look at Spike. “But, you’re all getting too far ahead,” she said. “You have the Draco’dim to deal with, and the prince has decided to help you.”

“Just as he’s helping them spread their influence in Equestria’s center,” Nazhadar said.

“Enough meandering,” Himfadora hissed. “I know what your prince wants, half-pony. You must have scoured the laboratory I showed you in hopes of finding it, only to come up with nothing.”

"I know exactly where it is," Seethe Scale replied. "Seifralhadar will claim it, he simply needs help."

“I will not agree to pushing on with our plans until I know,” Drezhadar snarled at Himfadora. “What ponies is she talking about?”

“The half-pony speaks of the strangers,” Himfadora said. “Terrato does not want our aid against the ponies of Equestria.” She smiled. A trickle of drool dripped down her lips. “He means his kin; the same kind of pony as the Stranger. As for the inheritance…” Himfadora snaked her long, sinuous neck towards Spike. “The prince wants this hatchling, who is undoubtedly more loyal to Equestria than to his own kin, to inherit Drellhadar’s work.”

“And, what’s that?” Nazhadar asked.

Himfadora’s only reply to that question was a wide, broken-fanged grin. Spike shuddered. Drezhadar sneered, and Nazhadar muttered something to himself. “I don’t know,” Himfadora said. “I served Reinfadora as a confidant, second only to Drellhadar himself, but I never knew what that monster was up to.” Her grin widened. “Isn't it such a gamble? The pony prince might know. He and his sisters were entrusted with this hatchling weren't they? Perhaps they know more about Drellhadar’s work.”

“Gamble?” Drezhadar roared. His eyes narrowed, and his voice dropped to a growl. “Might I remind you that we are staking our lives on this? You may be near the end of yours, Himfadora, but I won’t let you throw mine away over gambles!”

“And might I remind you of what we stand to gain!” Himfadora said. Her tail twitched, the stinger flicking back and forth. “Even the way he is, Seifralhadar can reawaken the old loyalties that Afralhadar and his ilk have tried so hard to smother. This is the time we have been waiting for, the time to challenge the Draco’dim rule.”

Himfadora lowered her voice.

“I've spent centuries studying Drellhadar, trying to understand why Reinfadora kept him so close when . I never came close to answering either question. But I know one thing. Drellhadar never cared for dragonkind one way or the other. I may not know what he had been working on up to that moment he was slain, but I do know that it does not concern us. Drellhadar would not stoop so low.” She let out a snort.

Spike gagged. It was as if hundreds of years of rot wafted out of Himfadora's nostrils. If this wasn't what a tomb smelled like, it had to be close.

Drezhadar turned his gaze back to Spike. “That may be, but what of his son? Tell me, Seifralhadar, what do you think of your kin? Do you share your father’s disdain?”

Spike found nothing to answer to that. It wasn't even a matter of how similar he was to a dragon he never met, or if Drellhadar was his father or not. What did he feel about dragons? He was certainly impressed by the size and power of his race, but whenever he encountered them…

“Seifralhadar has spent most of his life within Equestria,” Seethe Scale said. “He has not been with other dragons long enough to form a proper opinion.”

“That’s going to change soon,” Drezhadar said. He was smiling now as well. “Very well, let’s set aside Equestria's agendas.” He turned his great horned head towards Seethe Scale. “Have you told him what we require of him as the son of Reinfadora and Drellhadar?”

“No,” Seethe Scale said.

“What else can you expect of Terrato's pets?” Nazhadar asked. “You've only told him what the ponies need.”

“Enough with the half-pony!” Himfadora hissed. She looked at Spike, her smile back in an instant. “Drezhadar is right, Seifralhadar. It’s time we looked to you. You've heard enough vague ramblings from a bunch of dragons.”

“Y--”

Spike stopped, then composed himself. He was still afraid of so many things: of not just these dragons standing before him, of the fate they promised, of Seethe Scale leading him down a path farther and farther from his friends. He was afraid of Terrato, and for everypony back in the Heartland. Yet, he did understand that showing those fears now would only make sure that they came to be. He stood as tall as he could, forced his legs to stay still with all his might, and lifted his head so that he met Himfadora's stare. “About time,” he said as loudly as he could. “I've been standing around here while the three of you talked over me, and I want answers!” He quailed inside as all three dragons bristled at his insolent tone. This was insane, he was going to get himself eaten, and probably Seethe Scale too. But he couldn't stop now. This was the right way to deal with them. If he simpered now, they'd never respect him. He pointed at them defiantly, and spat the words out before he could choke on them. “If you don’t make things clear, I’ll…I’ll send these butterflies at you!”

Drezhadar tensed, his claws dug into the stone. Nazhadar stared wide-eyed while Himfadora’s shoulders began to shake. She laughed, her dry, half-wheezing voice echoing all around them. Eventually, she settled down. “My sincere apologies, dragon prince,” Himfadora said. Spike searched for the mockery between those words. He didn't find any. “I will make amends right away.”

Spike relaxed his jaw, but he remained upright and alert. Nazhadar and Drezhadar didn't look very approving, but that derisive look in their eyes was gone for now.

“The pony prince has made the claim that you are the last hatchling of Reinfadora and Drellhadar,” Himfadora said. “You have entered one of Drellhadar’s laboratories, and lived. His creatures acknowledge and protect you. This will be proof enough to any dragon who still holds on to the old loyalties.”

“Proof enough for what?” Spike asked.

“To bring together enough dragons to challenge the Draco’dim,” Drezhadar said. “You must have seen some form of their tyranny already, Seifralhadar. The Draco’dim trample upon your precious Heartland, imposing their will through a mountain of scaled corpses. Their insanity must end. They treat all of dragonkind as pride dragons. In doing so, they rob true pride dragons of what makes us unique and superior. Their posturing has rendered our race weak as a whole.”

“But, if you all hate the Draco’dim so much, why won’t you all come together by yourselves?” Spike asked. His boldness surprised him. He wasn't even stammering. These huge dragons were talking to him as someone they needed.

“You do not know your kin well,” Himfadora said. “If you could bring us together that easily, we could have taken the entire world as our own by now.” Her eyes narrowed. “No, dragons are selfish and belligerent. So long as our hoards are safe, we can’t care less about our kin. Of course, there are exemptions. Afralhadar is a freak of nature; a dragon gifted with the ability to communicate with his fellows, and bind them with a small, but deciding thread of unity. With Reinfadora dead, that was enough for them to exert their domination.” Himfadora’s voice rose. The disgust she spoke the Draco’dim’s name with was replaced with a sense of awe and nostalgia. “His work will be nothing compared to what you will accomplish. There are many dragons who still remember Reinfadora’s time. They may not care much for their fellow dragons, but they will fight for even just a hint of her presence. By hint, I mean you. Make the claim and you will gather those who remember those days. They are some of the oldest dragons around. We can bring an end to the Draco’dim.”

“But…” Spike let the hasty word trail off. He didn't want to do it. He wanted to help his friends and Equestria, not dragonkind. But even he could see how this could be an advantage. He had come to the Western Barrier Land to be of a better help to his friends. He had hoped to do so by gaining strength for himself, but having other dragons come to aid Equestria would certainly be just as important. He looked to Seethe Scale, who nodded at him, silently telling him to do what he felt he should do. “I…If I do this, will these dragons follow me, and do as I say?”

“To a degree,” Himfadora said. “It all depends on how much of Reinfadora’s reign they see in you.”

“And, if we beat the Draco’dim, will they help Equestria if I ask them to?”

“They certainly won’t mind protecting the realm that sheltered the dragon queen’s last hatchling,” Himfadora replied with a shrewd smile. “At least, they’ll go as far as dragon gratitude will take them.”

“Okay,” Spike said. The words left his mouth with a sense of finality. ‘Sorry, Twilight,’ he thought. ‘Maybe I won’t be back by this spring. But, I promise, I will be back.’

This time, all three dragons in the cavern smiled.


It was evening when Spike entered Seethe Scale's cave with her. Before that, it was a long and silent flight for them, making their way back from the hidden meeting place of what Himfadora called “the Old Guard”. Drezhadar wasn't too keen on the name applying to him, but grudgingly accepted that it was somewhat appropriate.

Seethe Scale had not bothered to look back when Spike jumped off from her shoulders. “Get some sleep,” she said. “There’s much to do tomorrow.”

“Not yet,” Spike said. He folded his arms across his chest, and stayed by the entrance.

Seethe Scale turned around and stared at him. “What do you want?” she asked.

“So far, all we've been doing is what you and Prince Terrato want to do,” Spike said. He stomped a foot for emphasis. “What about what I want to do?”

“What do you want to do?” Seethe Scale asked.

“I want to become stronger to help my friends!”

“You have become stronger.”

“Stronger so I can help everyone else but them!”

Seethe Scale pushed aside some gold coins and gems, then reclined on the resulting space. “You understand,” she said. “You may complain about it, but you already understand. Amidst all the others using you, you’ll find a way to use them in return. You've made it plain enough when you agreed to Himfadora’s plans.”

“I don’t want to use anyone,” Spike shot back. “I just want to help my friends!”

“And Himfadora wants to bring back some semblance of her glory days,” Seethe Scale said. “And the prince wants you to help with his plans. And I want to help the prince. Everyone wants to do something, and no one is going to just stop to help you out. If you want to help your friends, you find a way to take what you need.”

“Is that how dragons do things?” Spike asked. “No wonder they can’t beat the Draco’dim. All they have to do is work together, and they could solve this problem.”

Seethe Scale snorted. A blast of hot air, like a dry desert breeze, blew past Spike. “Like ponies?” she asked.

The question brought Spike to a stop. He shook his head, and concentrated on finding the words again. He refused to let Seethe Scale just end this conversation. “Yes,” he said. “If that’s how you want to put it, like ponies!”

“Is that what your pony friends taught you?” Seethe Scale asked. “Dragons should just do what ponies do? Dragons should share, be nice, and live in tiny houses in villages so they can be good neighbors?”

Spike didn't answer. The butterflies fluttering all around him didn't seem to be too bothered by the growing hostility from Seethe Scale, but he was. Was the cave getting hotter, or was he just imagining it? Because it certainly felt like it was getting hotter.

“What did they tell you about your greed phase?” Seethe Scale asked. “Did they say it was wrong? They may as well have told you that growing up was wrong.” She spat in derision. Spike fumed at the gesture. Seethe Scale didn't spit on the ground. She just spat on his friends. “What do they know of dragons? What do they know of going through the phases, of the different dragon varieties, and the dragon way of life?"

Seethe Scale's voice suddenly softened, her scowl giving way for a moment. "What do they know of living in a world that's too small, too short-lived, and easily burned?" Her voice trailed off. For a few seconds, she was silent. Then, the fierce expression was back along with the derisive tone. "Your friends have done nothing but force you to live their way of life or be cast out. They’re hardly better than the Draco’dim, and I add 'hardly' because they haven’t killed and eaten you for not being pony enough!”

“Don’t you talk about my friends like that!” Spike shouted. He lunged at Seethe Scale, claws and fangs out.

She didn't even move. His claws and teeth found no purchase against her thick and coarse fur. He stepped back and blew flames at her claws and hooves. Still, she remained motionless. “Is that wrath?” she asked.

“You bet I’m angry!” Spike said. “You take back what you said about my friends!”

“I didn't ask if you were angry!” Seethe Scale hissed. The last vestiges of her impassive face crumbled into a very deep scowl.

Spike stepped back, his heart racing even faster than when Drezhadar threatened to squash him. Several bright red spines, each about a couple of feet long, rose from the middle of her back. They vibrated, similar to the rattling some snakes did. Her eyes glowed red and smoke began to rise from her nostrils. And the heat...he raised his claws to protect his face. His scales didn't do anything against this sort of heat. It was worse than being inside a smithy or even standing so close to a pool of lava.

“I asked you if that's wrath." Seethe Scale's claw closed in on a rock and lifted it. "Do you feel it boiling in your insides, hotter than your own dragon fire? Do you feel it take over your arms and legs? Does it cover your sight with red haze?" Her grip on the rock tightened until cracks started to appear. "Do you feel that even something like a rock deserves it when you destroy it?" The rock crumbled in her grip. She hurled the fragments against the cave wall hard. "Wrath, not anger." Her hiss rose to a snarl. "Learn the difference!” She turned to the side and exhaled. Flames erupted from her mouth and blasted one side of the cave.

Spike cried out. The discomfort turned to scorching pain as white-hot fire struck stone. He had never felt fire like this, not even the time when Nightmare Moon’s tainted flames struck him. He fell on his belly and tried to crawl away when the cave wall glowed, then slid to the ground as bubbling red goop. When Seethe Scale closed her mouth, a great, smoking depression of partly melted stone marked one of her cave’s walls. She walked over to him, the spines along her back already receding. “Do you feel anything remotely resembling that?” she asked.

“N-n-no,” Spike said. One butterfly landed on his nose, as if mocking his fear.

Like the last glowing traces of a dying bonfire, all trace of emotion faded from Seethe Scale’s face. “I see,” she said. She walked back to her hoard, and reclined.

Spike shook his head. “Wait…wait! What just happened?”

“Today, you just discovered that you were a prince among your kind and that you now have potent guardians watching over you. Yet, your pride did not swell to great proportions. Just now, I provoked you as much as I can. You grew angry, but not to the point I was testing for. You are approaching your expression phase, Spike, and I just determined that you have neither a heart full of pride nor a heart full of wrath.”

“That’s it?” Spike asked. “It was some kind of a test?”

“Yes,” Seethe Scale replied. “One that was impossible to give if I told you.”

Spike sighed. “Okay, I understand that part. But, please, give me something.”


Seethe Scale looked at him softly for a moment. "Please, give me something," he said.

This was a sensitive task, one that the prince would not even include his sisters. She did not know all the details herself. To share anything with Spike could spell disaster. She could lose the prince's trust. She could lose her place.

“The prince didn't lie when he said he would help you grow stronger,” she said. “You want to help Equestria. Giving you more means helps him. But that only counts for what you would gain from Reinfadora and from your own development. Drellhadar..."

Despite his earlier terror, Spike now walked closer, eyes focused on her. Seethe Scale measured each word. Silence would be so easy. For the mission, it would be better to just stay silent. For Spike, however...she had put him through a great deal today.

"Drellhadar had nothing to do with dragons," Seethe Scale said. "Whatever you are to inherit from him will not help your development, and it will not help dragonkind."

"Then what was he up to?" Spike asked. "And what does Prince Terrato want from it?"

"What it actually is, perhaps only the prince knows nowadays," Seethe Scale replied. "But you've heard it from Himfadora, it is something to be obtained." Seethe Scale paused. "The prince called it 'Drellhadar's Ban'. That is what we're looking for. It was not in the laboratory in Himfadora's lair. I'm sure it's in his main laboratory within Reinfadora's lair."

"So let's just go get it," Spike said. "Why'd we have to look at the one at Himfadora's?"

"Reinfadora's lair now belongs to Afralhadar, strongest of the Draco'dim," Seethe Scale replied.

Spike held his tail close. "Oh," he said. He looked up, eyes still hopeful. "What's it supposed to do then?"

Seethe Scale looked towards her lair's entrance, towards the direction the Alicorn's Perch, where the prince resided when he was by himself. "You heard Himfadora. He wants it in his arsenal when it's time to deal with his kin. I suspect, it will grant him something he's wanted for a long time."

“And what’s that?”

“A way home.”

Spike looked at the floor, unsure of how he should react to that. “Well,” he said. “Thanks for trusting me that much.”

“You’re welcome.”

Spike headed for the bundle of furs he used for a bed. “Seethe Scale?” he asked. “You didn't mean what you said about my friends right? That was just a test?”

Seethe Scale turned away. “What do I know about ponies?” she muttered.