• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 3,909 Views, 34 Comments

Twilight's Sun, Celestia's Stars - JKinsley



Random short stories inspired by prompts from the Twilestia is Bestia group

  • ...
11
 34
 3,909

10. Excessive

A light violet unicorn with a tousled mane finished the last of her edits. A neat stack of parchment stood next her on the desk and she flipped through the pages one more time. “Good, good,” she muttered.

She bound the sheets of parchment together and pulled a fine piece of dyed blue leather to herself to cover her new “book.” It was more of a collection of free-form poems than a cohesive story, but she had high hopes. On the front and spine of her newly-bound book, the mare wrote the title, The Collected Works of Poetry for Princess Twilight Sparkle and Princess Celestia and signed her name as “J. ‘Aurora’ Kinsley.”


Twilight and Celestia sat in their chambers, currently occupied with a friendly game of “Go Fish.” A knock on the door caused Celestia to get up and check who would be bothering them at this hour.

“Everypony knows not to disrupt the weekly game session,” grumbled Celestia darkly. She still put on a benevolent smile as she cracked the door to poke her head out. A nervous guard stood there with a rectangular package held aloft in a magical aura.

“Your Highness, sorry to disturb you,” he started and bowed deeply, “but the Royal Archivist said it was an urgent matter. She felt she could not, in good conscious, admit this particular tome to the archives without your consent.”

“Never, in all my years ruling this kingdom, have I come across a book that I felt should be banned or barred from the Archives,” Celestia said. She shook her head, this book must be dangerous. “Very well, Twilight and I shall consider its merits.”

The guard simply nodded and passed her the book. With that, the guard scurried off and Celestia shut the door and turned to Twilight.

“It seems like we have a rather dangerous book on our hooves, Twilight. The Royal Archivist won’t allow this book to be admitted without my consent.”

Twilight tilted her head. “Dangerous indeed. As I recall, there are time travel spells, dark magic, even books that will try to eat whoever wants to read them.” Twilight shuddered at the memory of The Monster Book of Monsters. “You could find them in the restricted section, of course, and there was always supervision and checks.”

Celestia set the book between them on the table. “We might as well get it over with. On three. One, two, three!” Celestia unwrapped the book from its paper prison as Twilight readied an anti-magic shield.

The paper fell away and... nothing happened. Twilight instead picked up the book and read the title aloud. “The Collected Works of Poetry for Princess Twilight Sparkle and Princess Celestia. Huh. That doesn’t sound dangerous.” Twilight opened to the first page when a small note fell out. She picked it up and read it aloud as well. “Princess(es), while this book isn’t dangerous in the traditional sense, after you have read it, you may feel it necessary or otherwise advantageous to not include this book in the Archives. While it would not preclude the author from otherwise publishing this book (since actually suppressing the publication invites any number of issues related to freedom of speech and expression), barring it from the Archives would keep any ‘damage’ isolated to a small period of time. I therefore defer to your wiser judgement on this matter. Signed, Summer Mane.”

Celestia sat almost perfectly still while she reflected on those words. Her face dipped briefly into a frown before she regained her usual composure.

“Celestia?”

Celestia looked up and blinked a few times. “It seems we have little choice but to read the book. If the title mentions you as well, then I suppose we can read it together.”

Twilight smiled and patted the cushion next to her. “Only if you let me cuddle.”

“Very well then.” Celestia chuckled and wrapped a wing around Twilight as she brought the book to bear. She flipped the pages to the first “poem.” Both ponies’ eyes scanned the page, but their faces shifted from mild interest to curiosity and finally to shock.

“I... I have no idea where she got those ideas about us,” Twilight said, eyes wide and affect flat. She flipped to the next page and her and Celestia continued to read. The shock returned.

“That seemed more... painful, than anything. I do hope we don’t ever have to be in that position,” mumbled Celestia. Another page flip, another shocker.

“That one wasn’t so bad,” reasoned Twilight. Indeed it wasn’t; either through the literary equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome or just because the poems were not as outlandish, Twilight no longer wished to acquaint herself with the porcelain gods. Celestia merely nodded and turned to the next page.

Both heads tilted. “Huh,” they said in unison. “That’s... that sounds kinda fun.” Next page. More nods of agreement. Twilight levitated a notepad and quill to take notes.

“Just one more poem,” said Celestia as she flipped to the last poem. Her voice carried a mixture of relief and resignation. Twilight and Celestia read through it together, their pace matching perfectly. Bright crimson blushes graced their faces as they continued reading.

By the time they finished, Twilight was intently studying her hooves. “She was awfully descriptive in that last one.” She chuckled nervously. “She certainly has a way with words.”

“She seems to think you have your way with me,” Celestia muttered.

“Well, there are some good ideas in there. They just got presented... a little over-the-top.”

“You’re quite right.” Celestia sighed. “So what shall we do about... this,” she said while she poked the book.

“Try that last chapter out before passing judgement?”