• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 5,156 Views, 692 Comments

Let's Get Boyfriends! - MythrilMoth



Pinkie Pie comes up with another game to play with her friends. This time, the challenge is to get boyfriends or die trying.

  • ...
49
 692
 5,156

Chapter 2: First Dates

Twilight straightened her tiara and walked briskly down the east wing corridor where she'd been told Flash Sentry was stationed. She found him guarding, ironically, the room where the mirror was kept, alongside a middle-aged crystal pony.

As she approached, the guards dipped their heads respectfully. She lifted her head and regarded them from the corners of her eyes. "Gentlecolts," she said. She then stopped, turned, and faced Flash. "You there," she said.

"Me?" Flash asked, gulping.

"I feel the need to stretch my wings, but I don't like flying alone," Twilight said. "As Princess Cadance is otherwise occupied at the moment, and you are the only pegasus guard at the palace, you will accompany me on a flight over the Crystal Empire."

Flash blinked. "Err...of course, Your Highness."

Flash followed Twilight to a second-story balcony where they launched themselves into the air. As they soared up over the palace, Twilight glided closer to Flash. "So, how've you been?" she asked.

"Err...f-fine, Your Highness," Flash said.

Twilight rolled her eyes. "You can drop the 'Your Highness' stuff, Flash," she said. "I really just wanted a chance to talk."

"Oh. Um...that's...great, Princess Twilight." Flash tilted his head. "I...kinda got the impression last time we talked that you didn't like me very much."

Twilight had the grace to blush. "Look, Flash," she said with a sigh. "I...last time..." She took a deep breath. "You know about the whole thing with the mirror and the other world, right?"

"It's...not really a secret, at least around the palace," Flash replied.

"Well...the truth is..." Twilight did a roll underneath Flash, coming along his other side. "In...that other world...I met another Flash Sentry. And, well..."

Flash regarded her and frowned. "Oh, so that's what it is."

"I...went to a dance with that Flash," Twilight said. "And, well..." She averted her gaze. "When I decided to talk to you, I guess...it didn't even occur to me how different you'd be from him. Because everyone else I met there was so much like the ponies I know here." She frowned. "But then, I only really knew him for a couple of days. I guess...I didn't really get to know him at all. So I was comparing you to—"

"A crush you had, I get it," Flash said. He sighed. "Well, that explains a lot."

"But you see," Twilight said, "I realized...that wasn't fair of me at all. And, I thought, well..." She took a deep breath, then looked directly at Flash. "I thought maybe I should take another chance...get to know you...maybe see what's special about this Flash Sentry."

Flash looked at her, slightly stunned. "I...I don't know what to say..."

"Just say you'll spend some time with me while I'm here," Twilight said.

Flash tilted his head. "I know a place that makes a great crystal corn chowder," he said.

"Sounds great! Let's go!"

"Um...now? I mean, I'm kind of on duty—"

Twilight giggled. "Already taken care of. Cadance said I could borrow you."

"Well...alright then." Flash smiled and made a sweeping dive into the heart of the city. Twilight followed him.

For the next hour, Twilight and Flash sampled some of the Crystal Empire's best (according to him) fare and engaged in pleasant conversation, getting to know one another. After that, they took another leisurely flight around the city, returning to the palace once they were both tired. Flash escorted Twilight to her suite, where she thanked him for the lovely afternoon.

When she entered her suite, Cadance was waiting for her. "So, how'd it go?" Cadance asked.

Twilight sighed. "He's...well, he's nice and everything. But..."

"But?"

"I just...don't think there's any real chemistry," Twilight said. "I'm not walking away from this just yet, but...honestly, the whole time we were talking, I tuned out most of what he was saying. He's just...not really my type."

Cadance frowned. "I'm sorry," she said. She stretched her wings. "If I may ask...what made you decide to give him a second chance in the first place?"

Twilight grimaced, ears folding. "I'm just trying to get a boyfriend. Flash Sentry is the closest thing I've ever had to one. I just hoped...maybe I'd hit it off with this Flash."

"You came all the way to the Crystal Empire just to find a boyfriend?" Cadance asked.

"Well I'm not gonna find one in Ponyville," Twilight muttered. "Anyway...I'm not giving up on this after just one date. Maybe Flash has hidden depths I haven't discovered yet!" She stood tall and proud, wings flared. "I'm gonna FIND something amazing about Flash Sentry that's boyfriend material!"

Cadance rolled her eyes and giggled. "Just don't blow up my kingdom."

* * * * *

Spike, dressed in his adorable little tuxedo, sat across from Rarity, who wore a simple yet elegant ensemble and a broad, lacy chapeau, at the very same outdoor cafe he and Twilight had visited on that disastrous day when half of Ponyville tried to get Twilight's extra ticket for the Gala.

"You know, this is the same cafe I was at with Twilight that day she had that Gala ticket everypony wanted," Spike said.

"Goodness, that was so long ago," Rarity chuckled. "So much has happened since you two moved to Ponyville..."

"Boy I'll say," Spike said. "Nightmare Moon, Trixie, parasprites, the Gala, Discord, the wedding, Sombra, Trixie again, Discord again, Twilight becoming a princess, that crazy mirror world, Discord again...kinda...Tirek, the library blowing up, the new castle..." He poured crushed rubies on his hay fries. "Life sure isn't boring around here."

"And all this time, you've only had eyes for me," Rarity said warmly. "And I've...well..."

"Been a good friend," Spike said. "A great friend!" He looked down.

"Well, yes, but I could have been more...sensitive to your feelings," Rarity said. She sighed as she took a dainty bite of a watercress sandwich.

"Oh, that's alright," Spike said, nibbling on a hay fry. "I'm just...happy to be here, right now...with you..."

Rarity coughed delicately. "Yes, well..." She sipped her water. "Speaking of time...I can't believe how much Sweetie Belle has grown. It seems like only yesterday she was just starting school, and now..."

"Huh? Oh, yeah...the Cutie Mark Crusaders are really growing up," Spike said. "They've stopped causing random chaos...mostly. They've really settled down and matured."

"And Sweetie Belle's magic is coming along swimmingly," Rarity said. "Why, I imagine she'll be having her very own cute-ceañera any time now!"

"Isn't it a bit weird that the Crusaders don't have their cutie marks yet?" Spike wondered. "I mean, the rest of their class got theirs like, two or three years ago..."

"Sometimes late bloomers are the most special of all," Rarity said. "Why, I myself was a bit of a late bloomer, you know..." She smiled. "Still, in a few years' time, Sweetie Belle is going to be quite the elegant young mare...why, I imagine she'll have the eye of every colt in Ponyville!"

"Well if she turns out anything like you," Spike said with a chuckle.

"I actually envy her, you know," Rarity said with a theatrical sigh. "I am, of course, the most glamorous and elegant mare in Ponyville, but...I'm rapidly approaching the peak of my prime. My heyday, as it were. Whereas she, well...she's next year's model. The next big thing. The next generation of fabulosity, if you will." Rarity daubed at her face with her napkin. "So lucky, to have her best years stretched out before her..."

Spike gave Rarity a flat stare. "Rarity. What the heck are you up to."

Rarity blinked. "Up to? Why...whatever could you possibly mean, Spikey-Wikey?"

"You suddenly invited me out on a date, out of the blue, and we get here, and all you want to talk about is Sweetie Belle. I'm not an idiot."

Rarity's ears wilted. "S-Spike...darling..."

"I totally get it," Spike said. "You woke up this morning, you saw those little wrinkles around your eyes, you freaked out, and you're fishing for compliments."

Rarity stared at him, flabbergasted. "I...what...! I...no! That's..." She frowned. "Wrinkles? Really?"

Spike shrugged. "It's no big deal, really," he said. "You can barely even notice them. You're not getting old, Rarity. You're still as gorgeous as ever. You don't need to be jealous of Sweetie Belle. She's a filly, you're a mare. She's not even in your league." Spike munched a clawful of fries. "Just get a facial at the spa, you'll be good as new."

Rarity slumped against the table and dejectedly ate the rest of her sandwich in silence.

* * * * *

Fluttershy greeted Big Macintosh at the door of her cottage. "Good evening, Big Macintosh," she said.

"Evenin'," Big Mac said. "Ah brought us a pie."

"That's so thoughtful of you!" Fluttershy said happily. "I've got our picnic supper packed up. I thought we'd go down by the brook. It's a very pleasant place for a picnic."

Fluttershy and Big Mac, picnic supplies in tow, headed down to the brook. The sun was low in the sky, the horizon beginning to glow with beautiful sunset hues. They worked together to spread out a blanket; Fluttershy laid out a sumptuous feast, and they settled in to eat.

"You make a good carrot salad, Miss Fluttershy," Big Macintosh said.

Fluttershy beamed. "Thank you. I've had lots of experience."

"Angel?" Big Macintosh asked with a tilt of his head.

"Actually, not really," Fluttershy said. "He's more into green veggies than carrots." She blushed. "I like carrots. I know fifty seven different carrot recipes."

"That's a lot of carrot recipes," Big Mac said.

Fluttershy fluttered her wings and smiled.

Carrots stewed and carrots fried,
Carrot salad, carrot pie,
Carrot pasta, carrot juice,
Peas and carrots, carrot mousse,
Eating carrots helps you see,
It makes you strong just like a tree,
Carrots go with anything,
Try copper pennies for some zing!

Big Macintosh chuckled. "You sure love singin'."

"I really do," Fluttershy said. "Oh...I'm sorry. I didn't mean to...I mean..."

"It's alright," Big Mac said. "Th' singin' wasn't what bothered me." He looked down. "Ah just...Ah'm a mite skittish around mares."

"Really?" Fluttershy asked.

"Well...when they start actin' funny around me," Big Macintosh clarified. "Ah've had...some odd experiences." He snorted. "Sometimes it seems like Ah only attract crazy mares."

"Oh..." Fluttersy said softly, ears folding. "I'm sorry."

"T'ain't your fault," Big Mac said. "T'be honest? This is the first real date Ah've ever been on."

"You're kidding!" Fluttershy gasped. Then, with a faint blush, she added, "Well...it's also my first date, actually."

Fluttershy and Big Mac ate in silence for a while, enjoying the sounds of the wind rustling through the grass and the babbling of the brook. They watched the sun set with lazy, sleepy smiles.

"This was nice," Big Mac said. "Ah wouldn't...Ah wouldn't mind doin' this again."

Fluttershy beamed. "Me too," she said. "Maybe I'll make carrot lasagna next time."

"Carrot lasagna? Really?" Big Mac asked, tilting his head.

"Oh yes. With zucchini."

Big Mac chuckled. "Alright then. Ah look forward to it." He helped Fluttershy clean up, walked her back to her cottage, then headed home.

Halfway to Sweet Apple Acres, something slammed into his side painfully, sending him sprawling.

"YOU WILL LOVE ONLY ME!!" a mare's voice screeched.

Everything went black.

* * * * *

Applejack met Thunderlane in the town square late in the evening. "Hey there, Thunderlane," she said.

"Hey Applejack," Thunderlane greeted. "Oh, I uh...got you a little something." He rooted around in his saddlebag and produced a bright green bandana. "I didn't know how the usual flowers or candy would go over, and you've always struck me as more of a practical pony, so..."

Applejack smiled. "Ah like it!" She flicked her mane out of the way and let Thunderlane help her put it on.

"It really brings out your eyes," he said.

Applejack blushed. "Thanks," she said. "Well, wanna go grab some chow?"

They headed for Hay Burger, ordered, and found a table. "Ain't really been here in a while," Applejack said.

"Rumble loves it here," Thunderlane said. "Makes me take him once a week."

"Yer brother, right?" At Thunderlane's nod, Applejack smiled. "So y'all are pretty close?"

"Totally!" Thunderlane said. "I mean, yeah, every now and then he gets on my nerves, but that's just family for you, am I right?"

"Heh, Ah know exactly what you mean," Applejack said, biting into her burger. "Ah couldn't..." She chewed, then swallowed. "Ah couldn't be prouder of Apple Bloom, even if sometimes Ah wanna wring her li'l neck when she pulls one'a them crazy stunts."

"Come to think of it, it's been a while since the Cutie Mark Crusaders caused a real disaster, hasn't it?"

"Hey now, disaster's a mighty strong wo—" Applejack trailed off. "Okay yeah, they've made some pretty big messes. But they're growin' up. They ain't even done any real crusadin' in a while." She sighed. "Ain't gonna be long afore Apple Bloom gets her cutie mark..."

"Yeah...I'm expecting Rumble to get his any day now." Thunderlane took a sip of his soda. "They grow up too fast, don't they?"

"They surely do," Applejack agreed. "Couple more years an' Ah'll be havin' t' give 'er th' talk..." Applejack laughed. "Ah remember Granny givin' me th' talk. Ma tried, but...bless her soul, she couldn't spit it out. Granny got fed up an' did it for 'er."

"It must be hard," Thunderlane said. "I mean...like I said, I barely know you, but...we all know what happened to your..." He trailed off. "Sorry. I shouldn't—"

"Nah, it's alright," Applejack said, a faint pain in her eyes. "Ah do miss 'em. An' it is pretty tough..." She looked down. "Ah try too hard sometimes. A while back, Apple Bloom showed me how...how much she's grown...Ah couldn't be prouder, but..."

Thunderlane smiled. "You're gonna be a great mother, when you're ready."

Applejack blushed. "Thanks," she said. She faked a cough and gulped her soda. "So uhh..."

They talked casually as they finished their meals. They headed to Sugar Cube Corner for dessert, where they continued their casual, friendly conversation. After that, Thunderlane walked Applejack home. They walked slowly, enjoying the crisp night air.

When they arrived at the front door, Applejack looked Thunderlane in the eye. "Ah had a great time tonight," she said.

"Me too," Thunderlane agreed.

Applejack dug a hoof into the ground. "So uhh...wanna maybe do this again? Soonish?"

Thunderlane grinned. "You bet." He took off into the night sky, wings beating powerfully; he stopped to wave back at her before heading home.

Applejack smiled, ran a hoof over her new bandana, and went inside.

Apple Bloom pounced her before she could even close the door. "How was your date?" she asked excitedly.

Applejack mussed her hair fondly. "It went pretty good," she said. She looked around. "Where's Big Mac? Ah ain't seen him since last night..."

Apple Bloom winced. "Uhh...yeah...about that..."

* * * * *

Rainbow Dash and Soarin trotted into Ponyville's premiere (and only) nightclub, The Stomp. The lighting inside was dim, the dance floor was moderately crowded, and the bass from the sound system shook the entire club. DJ P0N-3 sat behind the turntables, scratching records and pumping a hoof in the air.

Rainbow led Soarin over to the bar. "Two Zaps," she told the barmare.

"Comin' right up." Tall glasses were soon placed before them, full of a murky, rainbow-colored beverage.

Rainbow leaned her back against the bar as she sipped her drink, looking out over the floor. "This place is pretty kickin', don'tcha think?"

"Yeah, good music...not too crowded," Soarin agreed. He took a sip of his drink. "Wow, that's strong stuff."

"The pride of Ponyville," Rainbow said. She slammed back the rest of her drink. "Whaddya say we get out there, show 'em some radical moves?"

"I don't think I have any radical moves," Soarin said. "Not on the ground, anyway."

"Psssh," Rainbow snorted derisively. "We're two of the most awesome athletes in Equestria! We can handle a little dancing."

For the next half hour, Rainbow thrashed around wildly on the floor, forcing the ponies around her to clear space. Soarin tried his best to keep up with his energetic date; more often than not, he wound up with his muzzle on the floor.

When they decided to take a break, Rainbow ordered another round of Zaps. "Wow, Soarin, you're hopeless on your hooves," Rainbow said with a chuckle and a friendly punch to the shoulder.

Soarin blushed. "So I've been told," he said. "I've always been clumsy on the ground." He glanced at her. "But you, well...you're amazing!"

"Yeah I am!" Rainbow agreed loudly, belching. "On land, in the air, I'm awesome anywhere!"

"I wish I had half your confidence," Soarin said. He took a deep swallow of his drink. "Sometimes I—"

Whatever he meant to say, he never got around to saying it. He fell flat on his face with a loud thump, his glass shattering on the floor beside him.

"Soarin? You okay? Yoo-hoo, Soarin...wake up...oh boy." Rainbow looked around at the ponies who were observing the fallen pegasus and gave a sheepish chuckle. "Uhh..."

Several minutes later, Rainbow deposited Soarin on a bench near the center of town. She filled a bucket with water and splashed some of it on his face. Soarin awoke with a start and a sputter, shaking his head. "What...huh....agh!" He clutched his head. "Ugh..." He leaned over the back of the bench and vomited.

"Ech," Rainbow winced. She offered Soarin the bucket; he slowly drank the rest of the water, then flopped back onto the bench. "Uhh...sorry 'bout that. I...didn't know you—"

"Couldn't handle my booze?" Soarin finished. He chuckled weakly. "Neither did I. I'm sorry, Rainbow Dash."

"Nah, it's my bad," Rainbow said. "So...how 'bout next time, we just catch a movie?" She grinned weakly.

Soarin smiled. "You mean you'd go out with me again after I did something that uncool?"

"Well...yeah," Rainbow said. "I mean, we all have our off days."

"A movie sounds great," Soarin said.

* * * * *

Pinkie Pie lay sprawled on a grassy hill, covered from head to hoof in cake frosting. Cheese Sandwich lay beside her, covered in confetti.

"I haven't partied that hard in ever," Pinkie breathed dreamily.

"I didn't even know I could party that hard," Cheese said. "You're amazing, Pinkie."

"Aww," Pinkie cooed. "You say the sweetest things."