• Published 3rd Nov 2015
  • 5,438 Views, 85 Comments

My Little Dynamite: Book One - Fuzzyfurvert



After fives years abroad, Princess Cadance returns to Equestria where she is immediately placed under the protection of prodigy Battle Mage, Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
11
 85
 5,438

On Dragon's Wings

Chapter 2

Spike swooped up and over the walls of Canterlot castle with a powerful flap of his huge wings. The guards on the wall saluted as they passed and those in the courtyard moved to quickly clear a landing zone for the dragon. Spike did a tight turn to bleed off his speed before flapping hard and settling down amid a storm of loose leaves and flowers from the nearby gates and gardens.

Twilight waited for Spike to get his footing before letting go of Princess Cadance. It didn’t seem like a good idea to let the other guards see anything they could bray on about later. Rumors ran like wildfire through the ranks, and it wouldn’t be long before some exaggerated claim reached her little brother’s ears.

Spike looked back over his shoulder and grinned. “Thank you for flying the friendly Canterlot skies with yours truly, Spike the Awesome. You may now disembark, but please watch your step. Your baggage will be available shortly.”

Twilight rolled her eyes. “Oh stop hamming it up. I want you to meet us at the tower after Princess Cadance has her meeting with Princess Celestia. I have a feeling that we’re going to need to plan and research the threat to Princess Cadance.”

Spike nodded. “Okay, Twi. I’ll take the Princess’ things to the guest rooms then.”

Cadance wasted no time climbing off Spike’s back and setting herself back on the cobblestone covered ground. She raised an eyebrow as Twilight followed her and looked up at Spike. “Unless the castle has had some very impressive remodeling done in my absence, how are you going to do that? Don’t tell me that your fire breath can transport more than letters now?”

“Hehe...nope, it’s still just for letters or starting campfires now and then.” Spike reached down and worked the straps on his saddle before sliding it off his back. “I have a better trick now, just watch!”

“Show off.” Twilight muttered with a half-smile. She took her place at Cadance’s side, pulling her staff from its holster at her side. She tapped the end of the staff to the earth, and she could feel it connect her the juncture of ley lines that crisscrossed underneath Canterlot.

Spike smirked and the green frills along his crest and jawline started to glow as he tapped into a similar well of power that all dragons possessed. The magic washed over him in a flash, and there was a muffled ‘whumph’ noise as he shrank to a size more convenient to move around in the castle.

Cadance gasped as the light of the transformation magic faded. Spike stood before them on his hind legs, his wings gone, now at eye level with the Princess. He looked much like she remembered from when he was a mere hatchling, but draconic puberty had hit him hard and done a good job of it too. It gave him broad, muscled shoulders with a narrow waist and long tail.

“Wow...I mean, wow!” Cadance rushed forward, trotting around the dragon. “That’s amazing, Spike! Here I was thinking that you grew into that larger form and had just sprouted those wings while I was away. Is this a new form, or your natural one now?”

“His natural form.” Twilight chuckled and lapsed into a familiar lecturing tone. “In fact, both this and his flight form are natural. Spike’s ‘dragon type’ has the ability to change shape from a biped to a winged quadruped. Neat, huh?”

Cadance giggled and reached up to give Spike a noogie, rubbing the flexible spines on his head with her hoof. “I bet he’s already breaking the mares’ hearts.” She laughed harder as the dragon blushed. “And you really must tell me what all the flowers at the gate are for too.”

“Uh...yeah, about that…” Twilight laughed nervously. “I’ll tell you about it later. Um…don’t you need to get to that meeting?”

“Oh.” Cadance frowned in mild disappointment for a moment and then smiled at Twilight. “At this rate it’s going to take us a week alone with each other to tell the stories we’ve accumulated these past few years, hmmm?”

“Uh...um, yes?” Twilight flinched as the last word came out with like a squeak. Some badass Battlemage you are, huh? How am I going to protect her when the mare keeps having such an effect on me?

“Good!” Cadance laughed again, trotting back over to Twilight. “After you…”


Twilight paused outside the door to Princess Celestia’s command room to slick back any wild hairs in her mane after the flight. The door was flanked by two senior Battlemages; both saluted Cadance when the Princess and Twilight closed the distance down the hallway from the courtyards. The guards parted to allow them access to the chamber. Twilight followed at Cadance’s heels, puffing out her chest to look as impressive as possible for her boss.

Inside they found the room empty save for an enormous round table with many cushions. One particularly large, golden cushion had several maps and documents spread out in front of it on a low table with many of the papers stained with the imprint of the royal coffee mug. Cadance wrinkled her nose at the strong smell of roasted coffee, which seemed to permeate the room.

“Uhg...I can smell that Auntie Celestia is still in a Coltlombian mood.” Cadance blew air through her nose to clear it as she approached the table to look over the maps.

Twilight shrugged and smiled weakly. “I’ve been trying to ease her into drinking Istallion lattes, but it hasn’t really stuck.”

“That’s because I like my coffee like I like my mares: dark, bold, and with one heck of a kick.”

Both Twilight and Cadance gasped, whirling around to quickly bow to the diarch, Princess Celestia. The tall alicorn strolled into her command room with her signature titanium-plated warmug steaming at her side. The Princess nodded to them both and took her seat before gesturing for them to rise.

“Ah, Cadance, it’s good to see you again! I’m so glad you are safe.” Celestia smiled warmly, reaching across the low table to capture her niece in a hug. “I trust our Twilight has been keeping you safe since your return to Equestria?”

“Oh yes, she has.” Cadance struggled to free herself from the bone crushing grip of the elder diarch, pushing back against Celestia’s chest fluff to breathe. “Th-thank you for assigning her to watch over me, Auntie.”

“You are quite welcome. I remember well just how close you two are.” Celestia’s grin became serious. “Sadly, we don’t have time for pleasantries. I have several meetings after this, and I fear none of them will be with such stimulating company. So let’s get to business.”

Celestia looked to Twilight, “My faithful student, would you keep an eye on things while I speak privately with Princess Cadance? I need to discuss some things with her that are of a sensitive nature.”

Twilight gave a curt nod and took a step back. “Of course, Princess. Shall I return in a few minutes?”

Celestia shook her head. “No need. I will shield us. This shouldn’t take long.”

Twilight nodded again. “Yes, Princess.”

Celestia turned back to Cadance, her horn flashing for an instant before a translucent sphere formed around them and cut off all sound coming from the two mares. Twilight watched them speak in complete silence and frowned to herself. There was little to do but wait.

The Princesses chatted back and forth in front of her, and Twilight found her eyes drawn to Cadance’s muzzle, watching her lips work. Part of her still hadn’t quite come to grips with the fact that she now knew just of soft and sweet those lips were. Or the fact that another part of her wanted to feel that softness again. It also occurred to her that she really ought to have taken up lip reading a long time ago.

Twilight struggled to stifle a yawn when the topic of the Princesses’ conversation suddenly changed, the both of them casting glances her way. She stood up straighter and watched them continue to talk. They must have been speaking about whatever it was that she was supposed to protect Princess Cadance against. The pink alicorn gestured at Twilight from inside the bubble, getting worked up, and starting to blush quite noticeably.

Princess Celestia nodded several times, looking quite serious, before she started to smile and point Twilight’s way as well. For some reason, this made Cadance flush even deeper, turning her pink cheeks red. What are they talking about? Twilight tilted her head to the side, frowning thoughtfully. And why haven’t I been informed yet of just why I’m supposed to be guarding Cadance?

Eventually, the talks reached a lull point and the shield vanished with a quiet ‘pop.’ Twilight stood at attention and stepped up beside her charge again.

“Twilight,” Celestia gave her a small smile, “Go see my sister next. She has instructions for you about keeping Princess Cadance safe.”

“Y-yes, Princess!” Twilight saluted, glancing sidelong at an uncharacteristically bashful Princess Cadance. “On my honor as a Battlemage, I will keep her safe.”

“And you, Mi Amore Cadenza, don’t forget what we spoke of here. I will not be able to help you after this.”

“I...I understand, Princess Celestia.” Cadance swallowed nervously. “But...are you sure it’s the only way?”

Celestia nodded, taking a sip of coffee. “Now go, you only have a small window of opportunity to get away clean.”

“Princess Luna should be in the throne room.” Twilight bowed formally to the younger Princess. “If you’ll follow me?”

“Twily…” Cadance rolled her eyes and smirked, her former carefree attitude resurfacing. “I remember how to get to the throne room. I grew up in this castle longer than you did!”

“And I’m your guard, Princess. This is how it’s done!” Twilight took the lead, looking back at Cadance. They exited the command room via a private hall that staff used, walking up a short set of spiral stairs to the lowest of the royal levels of the castle. Beyond this point, only staff with high enough clearance were allowed without a constant escort. “This is my first official tour of duty, and I don’t want to mess it up.”

Cadance blew a raspberry back at Twilight. “You’ve been listening to your brother too much. How is Shining, by the way?”

“Exasperating, as always.” Twilight sighed and stopped at the landing to let Cadance draw even with her. “The little squirt has rose in rank since last you saw him. He’s really grown into an imposing stallion. Handsome too...as far as a big sister can tell anyway.”

Cadance grinned and fell into a relaxed pace next to Twilight. “Well, I hope I get to see him at least once before we leave.”

“Well, you’re going to get your chance. He’s been transferred to Luna’s elite guard unit. You should see his face every time they call him Shieldmaiden Shining Armor!” Twilight giggled for a moment and then blinked. “Wait, we’re leaving? Where are we going?”

Cadance chuckled nervously. “Sorry, Twily. Auntie Celestia said I couldn’t tell you until after we’ve talked to Luna.”

“Really?”

Cadnace nodded. “Yeah, national security and all that.”

“B-but! I’m your security!” Twilight eye twitched. “Shouldn’t I know about this stuff too?”

The Princess shrugged helplessly. “Sorry! But what’s this about Shining becoming a Shieldmaiden of Luna?”


“I’ve petitioned Her Royal Highness Luna to change the name to something more gender neutral.” Shining sighed as he escorted Cadance and his sister into the main Canterlot throne room. “She keeps putting it off, of course.”

Twilight snickered. “Of course.”

Cadance bit her lips to try and keep the smile off her face, but she wasn’t being very successful. She hadn’t stopped giggling to herself since Shining Armor met them in full Shieldmaiden field dress. The cobalt and silver colored armor covered him from hoof to horn, complete with a buckler fastened to his side and an armored skirt spread widely from his hips. Adjustments had been made to allow for his large, muscular form, but the armor was still clearly designed with a mare in mind.

Shining mostly ignored the mare’s reaction, attempting to be his usual all business self. “It’s still a prestigious position. Guarding one of the Princesses is a career defining duty. It’s only natural, after all, that I was promoted to Shieldmaiden; my shielding magic is second to none! I’m here today to help Princess Luna during your meeting, so please try not to agitate her too much. The doctors say she needs to keep her cool, if she is to heal fully.”

Twilight steeled her face, crossing the room at a sedate pace to where the other diarch of Equestria sat at her work desk. Luna shuffled papers, reading and stamping her seal into each before placing them aside into a separate stack. When Luna glanced Cadance’s way, Twilight was relieved to see the pink alicorn was treating the meeting with the same level of seriousness. She was still curious what Cadance knew about all this because she was still in the dark. She knew how the Royal Sisters liked to play their cards close to the chest, so it seemed likely that Cadance only knew slightly more.

Princess Luna looked up as they drew near, and Twilight could feel the tingle of a spell wash over her.

Luna nodded to Shining and he led them the last few meters to stand before her desk. “Ah, pleasant greetings, niece. You as well, Battlemage Twilight. Excuse me if I do not rise, but I find I have trouble doing so these days and avoid it if not strictly required.”

Luna nodded toward a waiting wheelchair harness by her desk. “Doctor’s orders, you understand.”

Cadance gasped, one wing coming up to cover her mouth. “What happened?”

Luna grinned mirthlessly and gestured a hoof toward Twilight. “Ask her when you have the time. This meeting must go quickly as your getaway is timed to the change of guard.”

“Princess,” Twilight moved a half-step forward, “What is going on? Please, Princess Celestia didn’t tell me anything either, and I need to know what’s going on to protect Cadance!”

“Be calm, Battlemage, I will tell you what we know, but you must promise me that it will not leave your confidence.” Luna’s voice lowered, her tone ominous. “Lives are at stake. Perhaps even your own.”

“I promise.”

“Good.” Luna smiled tightly, gesturing at Shining Armor. The stallion lit his horn and a moment later, they were all encased in an opaque spherical shield. “There is an assassin in the castle, and we cannot be too careful. Whoever they are, they have been careful enough to evade capture so far. We have reason to believe they are a fairly powerful magic-user in their own right, if for no other reason than having avoided my magical scans. Cadance must be moved to a safer location, but the best way to do that is to run a distraction. My sister did not tell you, Twilight, because we both know your tendency to be protective around us. Celestia is to be the distraction, and if we are in luck the assassin will go after her while you two slip out the proverbial back.”

“And if we aren’t in luck?” Twilight raised an eyebrow. “What then?”

“Then you are to go to ground. You hide. Do not engage the assassin unless you absolutely have to. I’m sorry that you are only just now being brought up to speed, but we had to be certain in our plans and had to limit those in the know.” Luna sighed, glancing at the clock on her desk. “It’s almost time.”

“What about Spike, Aunt Luna?” Cadance took a step forward and gently lay her wing across Twilight’s back. “He was going to meet us later.”

“Spike has already been redirected to meet you elsewhere by my agents. Don’t worry, Mi Amore Cadenza, he will be safe until you are all rejoined. Let me instruct you on the steps you’ll need to take for our little bait and switch to work.”


“Twily?”

“Yes, Princess?”

“I have been back in Canterlot for less than two hours after spending the better part of five years traveling around the world. I have been to and seen some breath taking locations. But nothing—absolutely nothing—compares to this.”

Twilight chuckled sadly. “Sorry Cadance, if I had known…”

“Yeah, yeah… I know.” Cadance stopped in her tracks and pressed herself even closer to Twilight than the tight quarters of the sewage tunnel required. “Just know that if it were anypony else, I wouldn’t do this.”

Twilight blushed and allowed herself to push gently back into Cadance. “Me either. You still manage to get me into all the best messes, you know that?”

Cadance snorted. “Just like old times, huh? So, since we’ve got the time, and we’re alone, care to tell me about all the things I’ve missed in the last five years?”

Twilight gulped and nodded as the first sounds of fireworks boomed from far overhead. The entire city seemed to have turned out for the announcement of the return of Equestria’s wayward daughter.