• Published 28th Aug 2014
  • 3,327 Views, 155 Comments

Kicked - Teq



It's hard when you're alone. It's harder when you're alone and constantly picked on. Scootaloo's lost all faith in ponykind. A dark and troubled past drives her to the most extreme of measures.

  • ...
8
 155
 3,327

A Doctor, A Date, An End

“I suppose the worst part for me is… the nightmares. They come and go but… they can be pretty bad. Like, real bad.” Scootaloo shuffled about anxiously in the extremely uncomfortable plastic chair she’d been in for the past hour and a half. She kept her eyes firmly affixed to the floor, not daring to look in fear of being confronted by judging faces. This was so stupid, why did she agree to this? Why was Sweetie so persuasive? Scootaloo gently rubbed a hoof against her throat, silently reassuring herself that there was nothing wrapped around it that could harm her. She felt so silly sitting here doing this, she just wanted to disappear.

“I know how you feel, I used to have nightmares. They’ve mostly subsided now but I’m getting these freaky flashbacks instead. Usually it’s maybe once a day. It’s pretty debilitating, and it worries my sis no end.” Scootaloo looked up at another young mare sitting maybe a yard away from her. She kept rubbing her forelegs just above her hooves, as if protecting them. Scootaloo took in the rest of the ponies in the room. Three stallions, two other mares, all sitting anxiously and fidgeting and all carrying a burden of regret. The mare spoke again, “I just wish I could go back and change things. Stop myself doing it, you know? I wish I could… slap myself round the muzzle and just tell myself to pull myself together. Can’t even remember what was going through my head; how I could have been so stupid.”

A stallion with a deep green fur coat, garbed in a long white lab coat with an identity badge clipped onto it quickly intervened, “Now Meadows, you remember what we said. We aren’t stupid, right? Depression is not the same thing as idiocy, and you did your best to try and fight it, you all did. Nopony remembers what they were thinking at the time, nor why they thought it would solve anything. The reality is that we’re all still here, right? So let’s just be thankful of that fact and try not to dwell on the past. Let’s focus instead on improving our lives now, in the present, so we can go on and improve our lives for the future. Scootaloo you look like you want to say something?”

The pegasus folded her forelegs before her subconsciously. She didn’t like this stallion. She didn’t trust him. She was, however, aware of an entire room full of eyes upon her and expecting her to say something. Scootaloo snorted and looked the doctor in the eyes, “Well, doc, it’s just that…”
“Please, Scootaloo, we like to keep things informal here, just call me Mental Spectrum.”
Scootaloo ground her teeth slightly, “It’s just that… what you said about not remembering is wrong. I remember. I remember exactly what I was thinking, and what I was feeling.”
“Oh? Would you care to share your feelings with the group?” The doctor leaned forward slightly, peering at her with light brown eyes devoid of all emotion but cold and calculating analysis.

“Yea, you know what, I will share it with the group. I can remember feeling relief. Relief that it was finally over, that everything was about to end, that I wouldn’t have to care about all the shit life had dealt me. I was happy to be ridding the world of the burden that I was. I didn’t want to survive. Unlike all these… pansies who were all silently hoping they’d be saved. Well I didn’t, I wanted to end it, I didn’t want to survive.”
“And yet you did, Scootaloo, didn’t you? Why was that?”
“Because… because somepony rescued me. The only pony in this world who still cared for me… she rescued me.”
“And are you not thankful for that?”
“Yea, well… well of course I’m thankful.”
“You’re glad she rescued you? Glad that you’re still here with us?”
Scootaloo was silent for a moment, “Yes. But only because it’s meant I can see how much she did truly care for me.” This guy was way too good at shutting ponies down for Scootaloo’s liking.

“Scootaloo?” One of the stallions, maybe a year older than Scootaloo, spoke up for the first time in the entire session. “If you’re cool with me using your name?”
“Yea, I’m cool.”
“Well… I know you’re angry. I’m not gonna tell you what you’re angry at. I was angry too. That’s why I… that’s why I drank... it. Rage did me no good, and it’ll do you no good either. If you keep being angry at everypony, you’re never gonna get better.” The stallion looked at Scootaloo with something she’d almost consider to be concern. Scootaloo could feel her anger begin to mellow slightly. The stallion had those same disarming eyes that Sweetie had, that same buttery smooth voice. Scootaloo felt sorry for him. At least she still had the use of all four limbs. She eyed the set of crutches that rested against the back of his chair and exhaled deeply.
“Yea. I know, you’re right. I’m sorry everypony, I just… lose control sometimes.”
“That’s okay Scootaloo,” the doctor spoke again. “You’ve been through a lot, we all have. But now it’s time to start thinking about how we can make things right again. We’re out of time this week, I’m afraid, but I would like you all to go home today and ask your friends or your family or whoever is close to you if they forgive you. Some may take it harder than others but sometimes ponies are unable to move on and recover because they still feel guilty, or they feel like those close to them don’t forgive them. Remember, if any of you have any problems throughout the week, you can contact me by telephoning my place of work in Canterlot. I’ll see you all next week.”

There was a chorus of mostly rather half-hearted ‘thank you Mental Spectrum’s, before the ponies in the circle stood themselves up and gathered what items they’d brought with them. Scootaloo flung her head back and stared up at the ceiling for a moment. She felt drained, emotionally speaking, by the whole experience. She didn’t really feel any better having spent the last two hours sat in a room with other ponies who’d been through similar circumstances. She should tell Sweetie that she wasn’t going back, it would save her the twenty two bits. No, this sort of thing was never going to work for her, so she should just stop before Sweetie wasted too much of her money. With an exasperated sigh, Scootaloo picked herself up and motioned towards the exit, not keen on stopping for an after session chat.

As was to be expected, Sweetie was waiting for her in the room just beyond the main hall. She was nestled deeply in a scarf and coat, cradling a mug of coffee in her fore hooves and sipping every once in a while. Had she been waiting there the whole two hours? Scootaloo hoped not, she didn’t want to feel she’d wasted her time. Sweetie looked to be deep in thought, but as Scootaloo approached her she quickly snapped back to reality and perked up, “Oh, hey, is that the session over then? Wow, two hours really flew by. How was it? Was it helpful? Did you pick up any useful techniques? Did you meet anypony nice?”
Scootaloo sighed, “Sweetie, I really appreciate you doing this for me and all, but I don’t think…” She was abruptly cut off as somepony behind her called out to her.

“Hey Scootaloo. I’ll see you next week, right?” Scootaloo glanced over her shoulder to see the stallion burdened by crutches stood behind her, towering over her as he was forced to stand almost upright. Scootaloo would probably have felt intimidated if the stallion wasn’t so… nice.
“Um… Uh, yea, yea I guess so.”
“Alright, cool. Just checking. Who’s this, your friend? I’m not interrupting anything, am I? Sorry, I’ll leave you two to it; I’ll see you next week Scootaloo.” Scootaloo nodded in the affirmative and waved the stallion off. Sadly he was unable to wave back but he nodded his head slightly instead. Scootaloo sighed. Well, looks like she would be going next week after all.

“Sooo who was that then?”
“Just some colt from the session. Can’t remember his name. Come to think of it, I’m not convinced he ever said it.” Sweetie gave her partner a little nudge. “What?”
“He so has a crush on you, you know that?”
“What? No he doesn’t! And I’m all about dat mare anyway so that’d be kinda awkward.”
“Yea he does, why else would he be so keen to make sure you’d be coming next week? All I can say is he better keep his hooves off my filly or I’ll knock him six ways to Sunday!”
Scootaloo was somewhat taken aback by this sudden display of aggression. Not that aggression was anything new to her, it was just a surprise hearing it come from Sweetie, “Sweetie you can’t beat up a colt with crutches!”
“I know Scoots, I was making a joke.” Sweetie winked.

The two walked back to the boutique together from the hospital, talking as they went. Scootaloo got a good chance to unload about how much she disliked the doctor, and Sweetie teased her more about her recently obtained admirer. It was now a bitter early December, and there was talk amongst the weather pony teams of snow in the not too distant future, which promised endless hours of entertainment to come for those that could stick the sub-zero temperatures. Scootaloo had loved playing in the snow when she was younger, partial in her time to pelting other fillies with snow balls from behind heavy cover and becoming a remarkably good shot over the years, but as she’d gotten older she’d started to lose her passion for it. Maybe it would soon be time she got back into it?

When they finally made it back, they were chilled through to the bone and grateful that Rarity had flicked the heating on. Sweetie chirped up again as she unravelled her scarf, “So, did the evil doctor set you guys any homework?”
“Yea but I’m not doing that bullshit. Waste of time.”
“You know normally I’d ask what it was and then insist that it’s for the greater good, but just for once I’ll leave this one unchallenged. Besides, you can’t be doing homework when we’re planning to spend the evening together!” Sweetie nuzzled up close to Scootaloo as she said this. Scootaloo looked up, her brain taking a moment to make the necessary connections.
“Oh yea, how did I forget about that? What is it we’re doing again?”
“I thought we’d just go out for dinner somewhere. Somewhere nice.”
“Where?”
“Shall I leave that up to you or shall I choose and keep it a surprise?”
“Yea, I like that idea. Surprise me.”
“I’ll do just that then, but you have to make me one promise.”
“Mmmm…”
“You gotta make yourself look nice for me. Knock me off my hooves so to speak.”
“Are my normal dashing charms not enough for you anymore?” Sweetie motioned towards the stairs, hurling her scarf over a hook as she went.
“And you have dashing charm in spades do you?”
“Fuck off!”

Sweetie giggled, making her way up to the second floor. Scootaloo pulled her own scarf off from around her neck, letting it collapse onto the ground. She sighed. She didn’t have the guts to admit to Sweetie that she wasn’t really feeling it today. Sweetie just looked so excited and admittedly Scootaloo had kept her cooped up for the last couple months. They’d never been on a proper date before and Scootaloo just didn’t want to crush her now. Admittedly, all she really wanted to do was sit around and watch films and eat all of Rarity’s food. Scootaloo didn’t really think that was very romantic though, and she knew Sweetie was somewhat of a Petrarchan. She was also surprised that she knew that word.

“Scootaloo, darling, can you not just leave things on the floor like that, I’m trying to keep things tidy around here. This is still a shop after all, and appearances matter.”
“Sorry, Rarity.” Scootaloo scooped her scarf up off the floor and hung it over a peg next to Sweetie’s, watching as the prim and proper unicorn went back to arranging a set of clothes on a rack.
“Oh, and could you not use such crass language please? Again, shop and so on.”
“Yea, sorry.” Scootaloo looked around. Yep, it was certainly a shop alright. A closed one. With nopony in it. The pegasus made to go after Sweetie, taking the first two steps in one, before stopping to think. “Rarity? Can I have a look at some of those clothes?”

***

Sweetie played around with a few different mane pins on her desk. She simply couldn’t decide which one she liked most. Well, no, that was a lie, she knew very well which one she liked the most, but part of her knew that a glitzy glamoury diamond pin would not go well with her chosen outfit. As her older sister would so aptly put it, it would be the worst… possible… etcetera. However, of her remaining options, she still couldn’t decide what to pick. This one would look alright, if a little too floral, but this one just complimented the trim so perfectly. And this one would just look simply divine, but it might be a little too much for just a simple date such as this. Maybe if she was off to the Gala or something.

Eventually she gave up and just picked one, not putting any more thought into it than, ‘Fuck it, that’ll do’. Really she knew she’d look absolutely fabulous anyway. Rarity had made the dress for her as a birthday present, so she knew it’d look nice no matter what she accompanied it with. The dress was just her style, girly but with sophistication and class. Wherever there was an admittedly somewhat unnecessary frill there was a carefully studded peridot stone that matched her eyes perfectly, and gave off an air of fine craftsmanship. And of course she’d spent hours making sure her mane was absolutely perfect, despite not being allowed to use a hairdryer after a very close call a year ago that nearly hospitalised her. Sweetie was starting to get the feeling that she just shouldn’t be trusted with anything that could cause a fire.

After a quick spray of (expensive) perfume, she felt ready to reveal herself to the world in all of her splendour. She picked herself up and made for the door, picking up a hefty collection of bits on her way. This evening was not going to be cheap, but careful saving and frequent begging and… a generous donation… had landed her enough money to make it affordable. Sweetie slipped the money into a well concealed pocket and pushed her door open, with movements towards the stairs. Scootaloo hadn’t come into her room at any point throughout the afternoon (she had strictly forbade it lest Scootaloo see her before she was ready), and come to think of it Sweetie hadn’t heard very much of her either. Was she even still here? Was she even ready yet herself? Was she even getting ready? Sweetie had to remind herself that this was Scootaloo she was thinking about. If she was getting ready at all she’d have been ready a long time ago.

Sweetie arrived on the ground floor, marvelling in her own magnificence. At that moment she was the prettiest filly in all of Equestria. And then she saw Scootaloo. Sweetie couldn’t help but stumble somewhat, despite herself. The pegasus had around her form a rather tightly fitting pastel yellow dress, relatively plain but oddly fitting for somepony of her character. She had also taken the time to apply make-up, something Sweetie had been sure would burn Scootaloo if it came into contact with her. Her eyelashes seemed to flutter with a delicacy befitting a mare of considerable status, and whatever she’d done with her lips made them look so wonderfully kissable Sweetie had to hold herself back with considerable mental willpower. The filly’s eyes shimmered bewitchingly, and Sweetie wasn’t yet convinced that Scootaloo wasn’t trying to put a spell on her. Sweetie could also make out a faint scent on the filly, floral, for some reason reminding her of lavender and lupines.

“I think I did a rather splendid job, don’t you?” Rarity was soon at her younger sister’s side, beaming with pride at her handiwork. “Having said that, though, it was certainly not easy. To some ponies, ‘sit still’ simply means ‘fidget about some more’. Well, have a pleasant evening you two, and don’t do anything silly. Oh, and I want you back here by eleven or I’m coming to look for you. You look nice, darling, it’s good to see that dress still fits you.” The unicorn strode back into her studio, a spring in her step and a tape measure about her neck. Sweetie stood in stunned silence, struggling to process what she was seeing. When it looked as though her higher mental processes had given up, Scootaloo spoke up.
“I tried to tell her it was too much.”
“Scootaloo… Scoots, I…” Sweetie was at a sheer loss for words.
“I mean, I was cool with the dress for the most part but I tried to get her to stop when it came to the mascara but… well you know how your sister is.”

Sweetie carefully made her way towards the pegasus, unsure of whether or not she was really there. Was this a fantasy, had her daydreaming suddenly gotten a hell of a lot more realistic? Scootaloo fidgeted slightly, “By the way, you should ask your sister about her lipstick collection. It’s… well astounding I suppose is one word for it.” Sweetie didn’t respond. She just raised a hoof and touched it against Scootaloo’s lips. She gazed deeply into the filly’s wonderful purple eyes, as if in a trance. When she spoke, she spoke in a hushed voice.
“Don’t ruin it, Scoots.”
Scootaloo took a moment to react to this, “Okay.”
“You look beautiful.”
Scootaloo chuckled and rubbed a hoof against the back of her neck. A red hot blush had appeared on her face, “Heh, guess I’m still not used to hearing that. You look pretty stunning yourself. I really like your mane pin, it goes well with your…”
“I chose it at random. Don’t even try and tell me I look anywhere near as good as you, you’re not a good enough liar to pull that one off.”
“But it’s…”
“Scootaloo, just let me revel in how pretty you are. You can compliment me later.”

The two stood in silence for a while, spending a few minutes admiring each other. Sweetie had never been so transfixed by anypony before in her life, except perhaps Celestia herself, and Pinkie Pie at one point but she’d only been about three at the time and that mare could hold her attention for hours. Eventually, Sweetie brought herself back to lucidity and smiled, “Well, should we get going then, gorgeous, we have a date to go on.”
“Um… yea, we should probably do that… darling?”
Sweetie giggled, “Leave the cute names to me, Scoots. You might want to grab a coat, or you might be a little chilly.”
“Eh, I’ll just cuddle a little closer to you if I have to.” Scootaloo cast her marefriend a wink.
“Hmmm, cute, but you can’t complain if you’re shivering out of your skin, okay?”
“You got it.”

With Sweetie Belle leading, the pair made their way into the cold winter’s evening. The sun had long ago fallen below the horizon, and the streets were lit by old oil lamps that cast a bright amber glow, piercing the inky blackness of night and bestowing a sense of warmth upon the town. The sky was completely cloudless, and high above the town of Ponyville stars glittered brightly, a large, brilliant moon giving the night an almost ethereal feel. The air definitely carried a certain frosty chill to it, and both Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle could tell that there would be some heavy snow the following morning. Shame it wasn’t a school night, or Sweetie could’ve looked forward to an extra day off.

“So where are we going then? I don’t know that Sugarcube Corner is open this late, at least not on Fridays.”
“We’re not going to Sugarcube Corner, Scoots. I thought we’d go a little bit more up market. No offence to Pinkie of course.”
“How much more up market?” Scootaloo cast Sweetie a sideways glance. How much was the filly planning to spend this evening? There was only really one place in Ponyville that Scootaloo could bring to mind that could really be considered ‘up market’, and that was…
“I reserved us a table at La Magnifique. It took quite a bit of negotiation and a little help from my sister to land us a table at such short notice, but I managed it.”
“Sweetie you know I’d be totally cool with just stopping by a café or something, right? You really don’t need to spend that much money to impress me, I’m pretty easy as far as that goes.”
“Scootaloo I didn’t spend five hours getting ready to go to some café. Tonight we dine on the finest cuisine in northern Equestria, excluding everything in Canterlot. It’s only fitting for the most stunning mare in the country.”
“You really are a flatterer, aren’t you?”
“I get it from my sister.”

Just on the outskirts of Ponyville, where house prices were outrageously high, stood a grand looking establishment abuzz with the voices of the lucky individuals who had managed to secure a table in the place. Brilliant light poured from the doors and windows and in bright argon lettering the title ‘La Magnifique’ was spelt in impressive calligraphy. The place would have looked more fitting on the Las Pegasus Strip, but as it was it stood as Ponyville’s finest eatery that attracted ponies from all over, particularly those over encumbered with disposable income. Or the occasional savvy saver, as was the case. Scootaloo wouldn’t have admitted it openly, but she felt somewhat intimidated by the place, with its bright lights and buzzy atmosphere and sharp dressers. Sweetie seemed to be in her element so to speak but that did little to surprise the pegasus.

They made their way into a reception area of sorts, the walls of which seemed to be decorated with coats and hats rather than wallpaper. Those ponies arriving hurried in to escape from the bitter chill, and those about to leave loitered as much as possible, moving glacially slowly in an effort to stay out of the cold. Sweetie, with her Scootaloo in tow, approached a short mahogany podium, behind which a lanky stallion in a black waistcoat stood looking down at a register, peering over half rimmed glasses, despite probably being only middle aged. He looked up as Sweetie coughed unthreateningly, and his facial expression changed from one of placid boredom to one of just boredom. In a voice that carried a typical Canterlot accent, he asked, “I trust you’ve booked.”
“We certainly have, sir! Table for two under the name Belle.”
“Hmm. You’re not friends with that Tiara one, are you?” quizzed the stallion as he gazed down his register searching for the right name.
“No, why?”
“She’s the only filly I know who could afford this sort of thing. Just through this door here, ma’am, a waiter will take you to your table. Next.”

Scootaloo still rather dumbfounded by the whole thing followed closely behind her marefriend, soaking up scenery and trying not to be blown off her hooves. She disappeared through the door just as an aging stallion approached the podium and muttered, “Table for two, under the name Slide Rule.” Scootaloo was almost dragged by the hoof through the extravagant building, being passed every once in a while by a suave looking guest or an equally suave looking waiter. At some point a mare in the same black attire as the other serving staff appeared in front of them and seemed to be leading them somewhere, but Scootaloo was too busy trying to spot a single pony who didn’t look as though they had a net worth with six zeroes on the end.

The waiter ground suddenly to a halt and gestured at a table to her left, pushed up against a wall. The two took their seats on opposite sides, Sweetie gazing over at Scootaloo and Scootaloo gazing over at the mare on the table next to theirs, who had just made a comment about ‘common ponies’. The faint tinkling of piano music could faintly be heard over the multitude of voices in the restaurant, and Scootaloo managed to spot a stallion bashing away (artistically) at the keys of a large grand piano on the other side of the room. Next to him, as if waiting patiently for their turn, was a familiar looking stallion in a black coat, a guitar leaning next to the wall with him.

“Sweetie, I gotta ask,” Scootaloo managed to bring herself back down to earth for a moment. “I mean… I know you were saving and stuff, but no amount of begging and thrifty behaviour is going to make you enough money to afford all this. Where are you getting all this money from?”
“Well… I was sorta hoping you wouldn’t ask that.” Sweetie anxiously ran her hoof in circles on the table, suddenly avoiding Scootaloo’s gaze. She’d promised not to tell.
“You didn’t break into a museum or something, did you?”
“No.”
“Oh… It’s just that’d have been pretty cool.”
“Well…” She’d promised not to tell. “I suppose it wouldn’t hurt that much if I told you.”
Scootaloo narrowed her eyes somewhat. Sweetie wasn’t the type to do anything out of malice, so whatever it was she’d done must have been done with best intentions. Right?

“Okay, I’ll tell you, but you can’t tell. I… kinda promised I wouldn’t say. Well, you know the work Applebloom was doing down in Appleloosa? Well apparently it paid pretty damn handsomely and… well… I’m sure you can figure out the rest.”
“You stole Applebloom’s money?”
“What? No! She… she felt really guilty. Still. I know you’ve told her not to but she can’t help it. She wanted to do something to clear her mind. So she gave me the money and told me to take you somewhere nice. And here we are. Sorry.” Scootaloo was feeling a veritable cocktail of different emotions. Firstly, she was actually somewhat annoyed that Applebloom felt obliged to do something as generous as this. There was also happiness, relief, mild confusion, exasperation, and something that felt like heartburn that made her wince slightly. “Listen Scoots, I just want us to have a nice night. We’ve been through a lot the two of us, and this is our first date after all. Let’s try to make the most of it and not dwell on the past too much, eh?” Sweetie smiled that cute, disarming smile of hers.
“Yea. Sorry, I shouldn’t have asked.”

“Are you ready to order, or should I give you a few more minutes?” The waiter that had shown them to their table now stood with a flip pad and pen poised to jot down requests. When both Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle cast her blank looks, she put her tongue into her cheek and murmured, “I’ll give you five more minutes, will I?”
“Uh, yea, thanks.” The mare bowed her head slightly and stepped off to attend to other rich customers. With a slight giggle, Sweetie pulled a menu closer to actually look at what was on offer. Scootaloo had never been in such a classy establishment before, and was certainly not used to the complicated names of the various dishes, a lot of which were in a language she didn’t even speak. She had to get Sweetie to help her out with what everything was, as even the descriptions were comprised mostly of words she didn’t know. Eventually she managed to decipher enough of the mysterious scripture to take a reasonable stab at ordering something, although her deliver to the waiter was shaky to say the least, and she had to make multiple attempts at it.

As soon as the waiter dragged herself away to the kitchen following the ordeal she’d just endured, she was replaced by a familiar face. Said familiar face failed to recognise the two initially, it was only when a puzzled Sweetie Belle murmured, “Applebloom?” That she acknowledged their presence.
“Wha? Oh, howdy! Fancy runnin’ into you two here.”
“We’re on our date,” replied Sweetie, a hint of pride in her voice and a slight blush tickling her face.
“Ain’t that sweet? Ya’ll look real nice, Sweetie. And you too, Scoots, of course.”
“You’re looking quite dressed up yourself,” Scootaloo was quick to point out. The young mare was sporting a professional looking blazer and a plain white shirt, with top button undone. It was perhaps the smartest any of them had ever seen Applebloom.
“Heh. Yea, well, I’m meetin’ with somepony from Fillydelphia to discuss my scholarship. If all goes well, I could be up there studying fer a degree this time next year. I still can’t quite believe it myself. I’m supposed to be meetin’ some professor from the university, Slide Rule I think. Wait… I think that’s him. Good to see ya’ll, have a nice night now!”
“Oh, we will. Best of luck!”

Scootaloo watched the farm pony nimbly navigate her way through the various tables, only just managing to not knock over a tray of expensive looking glasses as she did so. Scootaloo looked back at Sweetie with a raised eyebrow, “Scholarship?”
“Oh yea, you weren’t there when she made that announcement! She’s been offered a scholarship to study architecture at Fillydelphia.”
“Huh. Well good for her.” Scootaloo looked down into her hooves, shuffling slightly awkwardly. Sweetie, being Sweetie, noticed straight away that something was bothering her.
“What’s the matter Scoots?”
“Ummm… well I was just thinking. About education and that. I mean, I know I was never really that studious but… I’m so far behind by now. I haven’t got any qualifications to speak of. I can only just keep myself in the air with these bad boys,” she ruffled her wings slightly. “And I’m not exactly the most gifted mare in the world. I dunno, I guess I’m just now realising that I don’t really have any way of sustaining myself.”

Scootaloo looked away nervously. It hadn’t really troubled her before, but now it was really getting down to it, it was starting to get to her. How was she going to move on from all of this if she wasn’t even able to support herself? She had no future prospects to speak of. Following her experiences, she knew how dark and unforgiving a place the world could be, and she wasn’t looking forward to her future. Her breath caught slightly. Sweetie reached over the table and took one of Scootaloo’s hooves in hers, squeezing gently, “I understand. I know you’re worried about the future, and I don’t blame you. But you sell yourself too short sometimes. You remember back all those years ago when you used to perform your own modifications to your scooter? You even managed to fix up a few other things too while you were at it. You may not be an academic Scoots, or an athlete, but you have practical skills that ponies like me just… don’t. I don’t know how you do it but it’s almost like you can just… see how things work. I don’t know. Sure you’re not a scholar, and you’re not going to be a great scientist, but Equestria will always need a good mechanic, especially nowadays. You’ll find a way, Scoots, I know you will.”

Scootaloo took a moment to let what Sweetie had said sink in. In many ways she was right. But Scootaloo hadn’t picked up a spanner in years now, she was so out of practice she doubted she’d ever get back to the level she was once at. But if there was one thing Sweetie had taught her over the past few months since they’d been together, it was that she should try to be more positive. Sweetie was right, she’d find a way. The future wasn’t totally bleak. Sweetie moved a little closer, leaning over the table slightly, “And besides, I wouldn’t mind having you around a little longer. I mean, look at you, you’re absolutely gorgeous! And this is only our first date; we’ve got so much more to come! Can I be honest with you Scoots?”
“Yea, of course.”
“I… There was a period not long ago where I wasn’t quite comfortable accepting all of this. Something inside of me just made me feel like something was off. I had a hard time accepting that I was into mares. It’s stupid I know, and I felt like I was just lying to myself to make you happy.”
“Oh… well… I mean if that’s how you feel I…” Scootaloo felt her heart sink slightly, and had to stop talking before she choked slightly. Was Sweetie breaking up with her? Now, of all times? Was she?
“No, no, Scoots, you need to not jump the gun so much!” Sweetie gave her marefriend a playful push. “I still don’t think I’m totally into mares. I think I’m kinda… in between, you know? But anyway, there was a moment in time where I thought I was only lying to myself for your sake. Well tonight, seeing you the way you are, looking like absolutely the prettiest mare in all of Equestria, sealed the deal.”
“Sweetie, I…”
“I love you, Scootaloo. I love you with all of my heart. You drive me crazy, Scoots, I can’t get you out of my head. You’re so rugged and scruffy and rough around the edges and I love it!”

Sweetie leaned forward sharply before Scootaloo could even respond, basically standing on her chair to lean over the table. She locked her lips passionately onto Scootaloo’s, putting every ounce of passion she had into this one kiss, losing herself completely in those wonderful lips. She was vaguely aware of somepony to one side making some sort of comment of disapproval but she didn’t care, she loved this mare, her heart exploded every time she thought of her, she wanted her all for herself and she wanted to let her know it. Scootaloo leaned into the kiss, pouring just as much adoration into her efforts as her partner. Sweetie could feel her heart thundering in her chest, and fireworks went off in her head, her spine tingling. Eventually she had to break the kiss, but she did so only very reluctantly.

The two stared into each other’s eyes. Sweetie’s brilliant emerald eyes glittered in that way they always did, but instead of their usual disarming quality, they seemed to possess a strange fire and flare. In Scootaloo’s eyes, one could see so many different emotions and memories as they stared widely, what Sweetie now recognised as fear and concern being replaced by excitement, anticipation, and something that Sweetie hadn’t seen in Scootaloo’s fantastic purple eyes in a long time… joy. Sweetie smiled, “I love you, Scootaloo.”
“Oh stop it, you’re gonna make my mascara run!” Scootaloo grinned awkwardly, fighting back tears. She’d never been so happy. Not for a long time at least. Suddenly her future seemed bright and full of cheer. She no longer feared what was to come. She didn’t expect to be totally free from her past, not yet at least, but at least now she could look forward to the future. Bring on the nightmares and flashbacks, she could take it, she could fight through it, because not only was she Scootaloo, the total badass with the sickest tricks, but she had the most wonderful mare in the entire world to support her. Now she knew she could move on. Now she knew she could conquer her past.

Now she knew she could begin to recover.


And this revelation came to her just as their waiter served up the starter.

End.


“Sweetie? Do you forgive me?”

Comments ( 40 )
Teq

7241079 Hehe, well I'll take anything I can get to be honest! :pinkiecrazy:

Teq

7241079 Oh, and thank you so very much for checking this out, and even more for liking it! You hopped aboard at just the right time too, as the story is now finished! You should see some of the gaps I left between chapters though... yeesh... :rainbowwild:

Teq

7241210 You gotta watch what you say around here. She still hasn't let me out of the dungeon. :ajsleepy:

7241210 Unless its written by Nicholas Sparks, then it ranks lower than Twilight.

:twilightangry2: Don't you start too!

I meant the books, not you, you're great! I swear, Lauren Faust is out to get me.

7241101 Yeah, I'm enjoying what I've read, I mean its a bit dark, but yeah, I'm a huge Scootaloo fan, so I tend to read anything with her in it.

Teq

7241230 I'm glad you're liking it. I'm a huge fan of dark fiction myself. I won't give anything away, have fun! :rainbowwild:

7241269 Heck, I write Fallout: Equestria fanfics, I don't get nearly as dark as Somber or KKat, but that's gonna get dark. Or heck, I've got another fanfic where one of the main characters is literally the devil for Equestria... well, I will, still kind of working that way.

Teq

7241281 I liked FoE, mostly for the characterisation. I like it when characters feel as though they're behaving like real characters; things like casual banter between individuals and the like really adds depth, and I think I actually draw a lot of my writing style from it.

Well, hopefully it'll stay that way throughout, I tried to infuse each chapter with progressively more emotion than the last!

7241297 Well, its certainly good so far.

7241324 I try to do the same depth and characterization in my own works, heck while I said one of the main characters of a fanfic I'm working on is supposed to be the devil, she's not really a traditional devil character, the inspiration being Lucifer Morningstar from, well, Lucifer. I always enjoy more in depth characters, heroes, villains, etc. as long as they're interesting.

Teq

7241350 Likewise. There's a real skill in making characters feel natural. One that I'm still in the process of refining.

7241372 Well that's why Fallout, and by extension Fallout: Equestria works so well, no matter what's going on, the characters are very human (in a manner of speaking) and act like humans would in the situation. Its admittedly about as realistic in setting as you expect from a Post-apocalyptic story, but that human element is still there.

After all, the reason why war never changes, is because the nature of why we go to war, why we fight each other never changes.

Teq

7241383 Indeed. Personally I'm one for showing people harrowing situations (as I'm sure you've noticed) and injecting some light relief here or there to, for one improve contrast, but additionally to make everything a little more natural. Harrowing or dark material works best when you make it seem possible, and provide the reader with periods of relief so that they don't numb to it. Like I say, though, process of refinement.

7241391 Yeah, I was having a conversation with a friend about this the other day in regards to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, in the last season, arguably the darkest season of Star Trek ever, they had a, fun kind of cliche little episode about the characters learning how to play Baseball to play against the Captain's old rival. Now yes, it was a bit cliche, but it was in the middle of so many dark moments that, a breather was needed.

Teq

7241402 I would go so far as to say that it's essential. Some of the greatest dark and tragic stories have something to act as a relief for the audience/reader/viewer/listener/something else. Sometimes it takes the form of comedy relief, but I'm crap at actual comedy so I just stick to the sort of banter I'd expect to throw about myself. Within character, of course.

7241406 Of course, yeah, comedy is my weak point too... that and describing things.

Teq

7241511 Heh, just another something to be worked on I guess!

7241519 Yeah it figures, I can work out character details, big reveals, twists to catch the reader off guard... and yet I can't describe to save my life.

Teq

Just keep experimenting and writing for fun and things will start to come a lot more naturally. I dunno, works for me. And never underestimate how valuable your old work can be. It's so useful to be able to look back and to learn from your past, despite how cringey it is!

I love this story! I really want more!!!

Teq

7242148 Hehe, I'm glad you enjoyed it, but I'm not going to be writing any direct sequels to this. I'm happy with how it turned out in the end and I'm going to leave it here. Glad you enjoyed it though! :rainbowwild:

Teq

7242112 Yeesh, that sounds pretty nasty! Well done you!

Teq

7242869 So they don't have to hide it. It's no fun trying to have a secret relationship.

Teq

7265896 Far be it from me, an inexperienced Briton, to tell you how to handle this situation, but I would suggest you see a doctor about it if it concerns you. Or contact someone else just to talk. It might help, you never know, but if it does get worse, definitely speak to somebody. A doctor or even just a friend is fine. Stay cool, you're awesome, no matter what anyone thinks :rainbowwild:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAASE write a sequel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teq

7267058 Woah! Steady on, chap!

Heheh, well I don't plan to write any sequels any time soon. I mean, there's nowhere I can really go from here, unless I just tell the story again from another perspective. That's not really what I want to do though, as I like a sequel to expand rather than just remain embedded in the original. I left this story as tied up as I could, and I personally think the story has solved what it set out to do. This was never meant to last as long as it did, anyway!

Having said that, I may reference it in other stories in the future. Stories that take place in the same universe but aren't explicitly related. I dunno, if I get enough people demanding it I might write a short one shot 'sequel'. We'll see. Maybe when I realise that this story was my only major attraction, I'll return to wallow in it some more :rainbowwild:

Regardless, I hope you enjoyed it for what it is! Thanks so much for the support, you're awesome!

Teq

7267054 I certainly did! Haven't done that in a while! :rainbowwild: Somebody stop me, I'm crazy!

7267335 Okay. If you do write a sequel, I will expect it to be short, but even if it is, I know that it would be fantastic!:yay:

Teq

7268567 Thank you so much, man, you're awesome!

Teq

7314937 You better fuckin' believe it!

Teq

7391716 Hey chap, I'm really glad to hear you liked it, and thank you for the wonderful words, it really does mean a lot.

I'm sorry to hear about your depression. Well, I suppose sorry isn't really the right word, but I can't think of a better one. I hope it's not too bad and that you've got plenty of support. I've had a pretty rough time myself recently (a lot of things not going to plan, a lot of shit hitting the fan, you know) but I've muddled through and it's starting to look up now. Just remember that things will always sort themselves out in the end. I mean, look at my country, we've just massively screwed ourselves over by leaving the EU and regretting it, but it'll all sort itself out soon enough.

What I'm trying to say is that things will always get better if you just keep going. I'm not going to pretend that I can relate, having never been depressed myself. I've been in dark places and had rough patches, but if you just keep going things will work out.

Not sure if I over-killed that a little but better safe than sorry!
Just remember that you're awesome :rainbowwild:

Thanks again for the kind words, and best of luck in the future :twilightsmile:

7391997 dont mention it ... honestly thou i can understand all the dark patches ... yea, leaving the EU was their mistake, but its nothing the country will suffur too badly ... worst case senerio is they cut the UK from Europe all together .... kinda how Tasmaina float away from my country i guess .. hehe ... no need to frett about beating around the bush, i know i hav heard all the same things before, but it is true, while yes it is a mild depression, Scootaloo's was more of a major depression and she is lucky to have sweetie (in this fic i mean) and i know that as of recent events, things are only going down hill, u kno, unemployed, still single (10 years atleast), alone, struggling to live, other personal matter that blocks me from being happy (sorry, but thats 1 secret im not blerting over the internet ... its a mood killer, if that helps) .. n now to top it off and make it all worse, having a very loyal friend passed away last nigt and only learning at 2PM today (well he was americain so yea, best not to ask y an australian has american friends ... not even sure myself lol).... its almost 9PM by the time i post this ofc lol .... with that ending, im sure there must be a sequel in the works .... i hope so ... its a great fic .... keep up the good writing

Teq

7394338 I'm not planning a sequel to it, but I do intend to keep writing.

I'm sorry to hear about all of that, and I wish there was something I could say or do to make it better. All I can really do is tell you to keep going. Keep trying to improve your situation wherever you can. Again, I'm not going to pretend to know what you're going through, but it's really the best advice I can give. You're still awesome, things will get better.

Best of luck, chap, I hope things get better soon!

7394420 its a darn shame theres no sequel .... the way it ended (sweetie, do you forgive me?) kinda did hav a feel to where it should have atleast a final chapter, or maybe a sequel ... but it got shot down like u said ... thanks, it means alot ... im nowhere near as cool as dashie, but i try my best to atleast keep my cool ... and u are pretty cool urself ... it takes guts to write not only a romance fic with dark spots, but also do it in a way where it is awesome to read and think about in my head ... i would love to help u if u ever changed ur mind, but right now im in no position to do much, seeing how i need to go to my old pc and retieve my fic on a hard drive, and return it here in my new house .... as well as finish the idea off .... but enough about that ... i need to think on what it is about and i cant do that without the script infront of me ... if there is anything i can tell u about depression, even thou u may already know ... it effects the victim in many ways ... sleepless nights, mood swings, sorrow etc ... and CAN be a very real problem if it gets serious ..... in the case of Scootaloo ... hers got to the point where she couldnt see the love that Sweetie had for her as at the time she could only feel pain ... drove her to self harm and even susicide (attempted) ... reading from the start u can tell she was in very deep, then the 3rd chapter ... to clear things up on how it got that bad ... (i thought it was kinda weird being there and not at the start, but meh, not a big problem) and in the third chapter (i think it was the 3rd now .... yea, i have bad memory lol) Scootaloo's depression (before Bloom stopped the friendship) was at a mild level ... kinda like mine, now that i think about it ... and that being abandoned by a very loyal friend, choosing not to take their advice can kinda hurt, and i understand her pain from that, but in a way, its both of their faults ... Scoots for not listening and Bloom's for walking away from their friendship and spreding the personal info ...... and ur right .... Depression isnt something u want to have, i agree that if you have anyone near u and u suspect they have depression, then do some google research to find the helpline for your friend ... or if u have it, either A. try and look for the help urself ... or B. try and get out there, if a friend sees u having a bad day, tell them if u can, and let them try and help u ... dont ignore their advice ... if u live in the UK the info lines for depression sufferers is somewhere in the first 3 chapters at the bottom (if i remember correctly) if u dont live in the UK (like me) then just google around and sure enough you will find one ....

blah .... now that i have said all that i would like to thank u once again Teq for a good read ..... hope u one day decide to add a sequel or a final chapter or something to finally give us closure on that last question that Scoots asked Sweetie .... gnite

Teq

7394480 Night, chap.

Again, thanks so much for the nice words. I reckon looking back that I could've written this better, particularly towards the start, but I want to move on to new projects at the moment. I may return to do more work in this universe, but anything I do will probably only be partly related.

But yea, good luck with your own stories, and I hope things go well for you.

Best of luck! :rainbowwild:

7394732 u too, i hope it goes well with ur projects, who knows, maybe it might appeal to me enough to read it .... this one and one of ur other fics have .... but i better go, take care

Teq

7395917 You too, chap, thank you once again.

Teq

8185100
Yay, emotions! I am having the desired effect!

Login or register to comment