• Published 29th Aug 2014
  • 1,045 Views, 61 Comments

The Rainbow Portal - Thunder Quill



When two friends get chased into an odd old temple with strange drawings on the walls, they find a colorful rainbow portal and get sucked into it. Having been found by a mythological creature, they go and help her in her endeavor to save her friend,.

  • ...
9
 61
 1,045

Chapter 5

Jason grunted as he pulled the rope in his hands, helping raise the banner for Applejack’s award ceremony, “Remind me why you couldn’t do this with Magic?” He asked Twilight.

Twilight shrugged, “The way I understand it, when Ponyville does ceremonies or other important things, they do it the earth pony way.” She said.

Jason groaned, “Then why has Rainbow Dash been helping me by flight?” He jerked his head over to the blue flyer, “Isn’t that a type of Magic as well!?”

Twilight tilted her head, thinking, “Well, I assume so, but sometimes it isn't safe for earth ponies to be high up off the ground, so its ok for a pegasus to help sometimes.”

Jason grunted, “Fine.” He growled, “But I am really not the right person for this!”

Rainbow glared at him, “Stop your whining,” She said from the right of the banner, which read ‘Thank you Applejack!’ “Me and Flutters aren’t strong enough to lift this by ourselves, and all the other Pegasi and Earth ponies were busy with other parts, Twilight and the other Unicorns can’t use their Magic, Emily is on a walk near the woods, which makes you the only pony for this job!” She scolded him.

Jason glanced downwards, “Scolded by the Queen of recklessness, whoda thunk it?” He muttered.

Twilight sighed, looking at them from the ground, “Just be happy you can put the banner up for her. I need to go back to memorizing these cards...” she said, looking at the huge stack gleefully.

Jason sighed, “Alright, can you attach the plank to the wall?” He grunted to Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash the latter rolling her eyes.

“Yes, yes I can.” She said, grabbing a roll of adhesive and sticking the plank to the wall, before tossing it to Fluttershy, “Here ya go Flutters.”

Fluttershy hastily tried grabbing it, tossing it around in her hooves quickly before getting a firm grip on it, and looking at Rainbow, “Thanks...” she said, taking a piece of it off and gently tapping it.

Jason let go of the rope, looking at the wooden banner with caution, “You sure the tape will hold it?” He asked, “Don’t seem very sturdy.” A sudden scream pierced the air, making Jason pale, “That’s Emily!” He yelled, racing towards the sound of the scream.

Rainbow Dash raced ahead of him, “It came from Sweet Apple Acres!” She exclaimed.


Emily walked as fast as she possibly could away from the house, and by the time she had gotten to the outskirts of Sweet Apple Acres, she had started walking again, calmer now than before. She looked around as she walked, keeping herself from thinking about what had happened earlier. She found it odd that the Apples lived so close to the Everfree, but it seemed safe to her, she hadnt met anything in there besides the Lyra imposter anyway, so she didn't pay it much mind.

Her mind couldn't help but go back to her bajillion plus great grandfather going crazy from her making a little joke, and terrifying her into running away like a scared six year old. She rolled her eyes, “Why is it I have the most insane relative stuck with me.” she muttered, continuing to walk, looking at all of the apple trees that Applejack had harvested, “How does she do that...” she muttered. distracting herself. A sudden growl cut through the silence, emanating from the trees. A giant wolf, made out of branches and bark, with glowing green eyes walked out of the forest, two more flanking it on either side. They growled menacingly, advancing on her.

Emily sighed, “So much for it being a harmless forest… there are tree wolf shits.” she backed up slowly. The head wolf growled louder, before leaping towards her.

“Shit!” Emily screamed loudly, turning around and running. The wolves, unfortunately were faster than her, and quickly caught up, one raking her with it’s claws deep across the side of the stomach while another leaped on top of her.

“Scream for me.” The one that leaped growled in a gravelly voice.

Emily scrunched up her nose, a hand holding her stomach as blood poured out, “No way, you smell like shit, wheres a lighter when you need it...” she groaned.

The wolf looked slightly surprised, “You can understand our language? Ponies cannot fathom the wolven-speak,” He growled, “What are you?”

Emily looked up at him, and groaned in pain from the movement, “Human.” She said, getting her hand she wasn't using to hold her stomach and punched the tree wolf in the snout, barely doing anything but making it stare at her.

The Timberwolf was definitely surprised now, this creature was not only not scared of it, but it dared to punch him? The alpha of his pack? He had respected this, Human, before, for showing no fear in the face of it’s death, but now it was going to die slowly, watching as it’s entrails were devoured. He growled, opening his giant maw. “GET AWAY FROM HER!!” Imloch’s voice cried out, as a ice blue ray struck the Timberwolf on the side, a frozen air coming off of it.

The Alpha rolled off of Emily, the side that was struck frozen solid, “H-how…” It muttered, unable to speak right due to the cold.

Imloch stood there in his human form, eyes glowing dangerously as he rushed towards Emily, “Are you alright?” He asked her gently, the glow dying as he kneeled next to her.

Emily was still on the ground where the Timberwolf had left her, and she shook when she saw Imloch next to her, she tried to move away, groaning from the deep gashes from the other timberwolf. Her hand moved slightly so she could look at the blood soaked in it.

Imloch took her hand gently, “You have no idea how sorry I am for what I did earlier, and you have complete right to know why I reacted as I did, but right now you need medical attention.” He gently lifted her up, before glaring at the three Timberwolves, “If you attack her, or any resident of the town ever again, You shall have the slayer of god’s to deal with.” He said in a low, dangerous voice as he raised the hand not supporting Emily, it glowing a deep purple light. “Do you understand?”

The alpha growled at him, “We shall leave, for now.” He raced away, the two other’s following him. Emily fell unconscious, blood going down her body and soaking her shirt, dripping off her hand as she fell against Imloch.

Imloch’s eyes widened, “No, no! Stay with me Emily!” He lifted her up onto his back as he raced back towards town.

“Emily!” Imloch heard a voice cry out, “Emily where are you!?”

“JASON!” Imloch cried, going around a curve to see Jason and Twilight racing towards them, Rainbow Dash above them, paling and dashing away with her cheeks puffed out as if filled with something.

“Imloch! What happened!?” Jason asked, seeing Emily unconscious on his back.

“Wolves made out of wood.” He muttered, wincing, “I don’t have enough energy to cast a full Teleportation spell, Twilight could you do it?” He pleaded with her.

Twilight looked at Emily, “Do you want me to teleport you to the hospital?” she asked, finally looking at Imloch after a minute.

He shook his head, “It would be a waste, send Emily and Jason, he can do it better than me.” He gently lowered Emily into Jason’s arms, “Please, hurry!” He pleaded.Twilight's horn glowed, surrounded Jason and Emily quickly, before it brightened and they disappeared, leaving Imloch and Twilight in the orchard.

“Why are there wolves made of wood?” Imloch asked Twilight, “Are those a natural thing? Or did some Mage’s spell go horribly wrong a long time ago?”

Twilight sighed, “Those are called Timberwolves, and they have been around since the Everfree became the horrible dark place it is.” she replied.

Imloch nodded, seemingly suddenly wary, “We should make haste,” He muttered, “They said they would be back.”

Twilight tilted her head, “You speak Timberwolf?” She asked, thinking, “That seems interesting...but I agree, we need to go. I need to go check on Applejack though.”

Imloch nodded, “Can you teleport me? I’m going to change into a staff in a second, and once you do that It should be easier to teleport me.” He said, not realizing he had changed back.

Twilight held him up with her magic, “I have a quick question before I do, how did you change back into a human form so fast after a few hours of being one before, and how did you know she was in trouble from the house. The house is further than where we were setting up...”

Imloch was silent, “She was in trouble, that’s how I changed, as for how I knew…” He trailed off, “I’ll let you know when I figure it out.

Twilight nodded, “Ok.” her horn glowed and he teleported away. She looked over at the forest for a second, before she headed deeper into Sweet Apple Acres to talk to Applejack about tomorrow.


Teleporting was a peculiar sensation. It gave one the feeling of being stretched to infinity then being snapped back in an instant. Imloch heard a startled yelp as he reappeared in a green and white hallway, “God Imloch, warn a man when you’re about to teleport to someone!” Jason said as he picked Imloch up from his lap.

Imloch didn’t respond, instead choosing to look at the window across the hall. “How is she?” He asked Jason.

Jason sighed, “Docs say she was lucky, missed all vital parts, despite how deep the wolf went. Their healing magic fixed her up in a second, they say we can go in when she wakes, which should be soon.” He sighed once again. “What happened?” He asked.

Imloch was still silent, before sighing, ”I lost my temper. It happened too much when I was a human, especially in my teen years.”

The door to Emily’s room opened, revealing a brown colored earth pony with a hourglass cutie mark and a bow tie. “She’s awake, you may go see her if you wish.”

Jason nodded, “Thank you Doctor.” He picked up Imloch and walked into the room, smiling at Emily, “How are you feeling?”

Emily looked at him, looking a bit tired, but she managed to smile, “Im feeling better than before, considering. That wolf didn't even react at all to my punch though… wasn't all that happy. Im fine now though, not really sure if I have scars though...”

Jason smirked lightly, “You basically punched a tree. I don’t blame it for not responding.” He leaned Imloch against the wall, “I think someone wants to apologize for what he said/did.”

Imloch sighed, “As I said before, you have no idea how much I regret for what I did before… I told you I would give you an explanation and I meant it.”

“I don't… remember you talking about any explanation. I might have been too busy losing brain cells or something...” Emily said, rubbing her eyes, “I’m sorry I called you a hippy wizard, if that helps anything.”

Imloch sighed, ”It does, thank you… but you both deserve to know why I got angry… When I use my Human form, it seems to give me some vestige of my eighteen year old personality, my anger included.” A bright poof of smoke appeared, which cleared, revealing Imloch as a human. “I was a desperate man back then…”

He sighed again. “When I was fourteen, I lived in the outskirts of a city lost to time. It was a bastion of resistance amidst a land of giants, bandits and dragons. My family wasn’t rich, but we were able to get by. One day, when we went to the fair, I saw a mage do the most fantastic things, create balls of fire and make them form complex shapes, summon mystical creatures, and enlarge others in the audience. I knew that I wanted to do that, I wanted to use magic to help the people I met, those who couldn’t protect themselves.”

He smiled at the memory, before his look became dark, “Of course, this didn’t sit well with my former friends, who I had previously played in the woods with. When I told them I was going to become a wizard, they turned on me, mocking me, calling me sissy, meaningless things, but to a boy of 15, who lost all his friends in a single day...” He sighed once more. “Now you can see why I got so angry. Whenever someone mocks me, I go back to that day, the day I lost all of my friends.”

Emily frowned, “I’m sorry for doing that then...”

Imloch cracked a small smile, “It’s alright, you didn’t know, and we both forgave each other, so we’re cool.” His expression turned serious, “This could have been avoided if you did know at least rudimentary combat magic.” He said.

Emily sighed, and sat up more against the pillow, “I bet it could have… but I still really don't want to learn magic.”

Imloch sighed, “There are so many ways you could have solved this problem without being hurt at all, you could have sent flames out of your hands to burn the trees, or a ray of frost to freeze them, then use a magic missile spell to shatter them. Or you could have used a spell of Mage Armor to just block all their attacks until you got to safety! This could have been avoided with 101 reasons, if you had just listened to me.”

Emily looked at Jason, who nodded. She sighed, “Fine, I’ll learn magic later.”

Imloch looked happier than he had ever been, “That is a weight off of my mind,” He said as he glanced at the clock, “It’s getting late, we should probably let you rest.”

Just at that moment, the earth pony stallion from before walked in, “Miss Tucker needs one night of observation at the hospital, to make sure there wasn’t something we missed when we were healing her.”

Jason smiled at him, “Thanks, Doctor…”

The stallion smiled back, “Just The Doctor.”

Jason had glanced back at Emily while the doctor was talking, and as soon as he said that, he whipped his head back, only to find that the stallion had vanished. “No way.” He whispered.

Emily lied down in the bed, “Bye guys...”

Jason looked back at Emily, a kind smile on his face, “We’ll be back tomorrow, don’t worry.” He assured her.

“‘I’m not worried.” Emily said, “Mostly tired.”

Imloch smiled slightly, “Get your rest then.” He said gently, as him and Jason walked out of the room and towards their home as Emily fell asleep, a bit uneasy.


Jason knocked on Emily’s hospital room door, “Are you ready? Applejack’s award ceremony is going to start soon.” He called through the door.

Emily got up and opened it, “I guess...” She was wearing a white and light red striped tee-shirt and a pair of faded blue jeans.

Jason smiled, “Good to see you’re back on your feet.” He said with a smile.

“Yeah. Unicorns are really good at medicine and stuff” she said, looking around the hospital hallway a little more subdued than she normally is, thinking.

Jason noticed this, “You ok?” He asked her, “You seem a bit, quiet.”

Emily looked at him as she got out of her room, “Fine, just had an odd dream. Im fine though. The doctors didn't even leave a scar, which is cool.”

Jason looked at her when she said that, “You do realize who the Doctor that was looking after you was, right?” He said as they strolled down the hallway.

Emily shrugged, “I don't care.”

Jason smiled, “Think time traveling alien with a blue box that’s bigger on the inside.”

Emily rolled her eyes, “Again with you and your love for these shows.” she said, leaving the hospital without checking out.

“It makes sense!” He insisted as they walked outside, “The Doctor has traveled to alternate universes before, and his cutie mark is a Hourglass, and he had the 11th doctor’s bow tie!”

Emily sighed, “You told me that every planet he visited, everything was human like. this isn't human like. That isn't the doctor, and you're crazier than me.”

Jason sighed, “Alright, believe what you wish, but he is The Doctor.” He said as they approached Ponyville Town Hall. “We’re here.”

“Looks nice.” Emily said. They appeared to be a bit late, considering Twilight was walking off the stage in a huff as the mayor addressed everypony.

“What happened?” Jason asked Twilight as they walked next to her.

“I couldn't deliver the speech I wanted to do...” Twilight huffed, sitting down next to them, her head low with her ears back.

Jason patted her on the back, “Applejack knows you wanted to.” He said, before noticing said farm-pony, “Is it just me, or does she look really tired?” He asked Emily. Applejack indeed looked tired, she was stumbling around sleepily, dark bags under her eyes and she was yawning loudly.

“Thank ya...fer this award fer...something. Its shiny.” she muttered, leaning forward and back as she made whooshing noises, looking at herself in the shiny golden metal.

“Dear god shes like a puppy when shes tired...” Emily facepalmed, and slowly slid her hand off her face.

“Alright…” Jason said, glancing curiously at Emily. “What has she been doing?” He said, turning back to Applejack.

Twilight sighed, “I went to check on her yesterday while you were at the hospital, and she wouldn't listen to me when I saw she was running herself ragged for Applebuck Season. I suppose she has been applebucking the whole time.” She said, watching Applejack slowly drag the trophy off the stage.

Jason turned to Emily, “How many trees still had apples when you were walking?” He asked her.

Emily glanced at him, “You expect me to remember that when the highlight of my day was three timberwolves attacking me?” she asked.

Jason shrugged, “Just asking. It’s not like she has any prior commitments, right?” He asked, turning to Twilight.

Twilight looked at the ground, “I was interrupted by Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash talking about how Applejack would help them.” she said.

Jason groaned, “Great… Just bloody great.” He muttered, “Well, what’s the worst that could happen?” He asked, turning to Emily as the crowd finished dispersing. “Imloch wanted to see you in his tower.”

Emily blinked, “He has a tower? When the fuck did he manage to get one overnight?” She asked.

Jason frowned, “Well, a more accurate description is that he wanted to see you in our tower…” He said.

“We don't have a tower.” Emily said.

“You’ll see…” He muttered, beginning to walk towards their house. “I’m amazed we couldn’t see it from the ceremony, it’s taller than the bloody town hall…” Emily followed him, rolling her eyes.


“We now live in a wizards tower.” Jason deadpanned, gesturing up at the giant stone tower. The tower was indeed taller than city hall, made with imposing grey stone and arrow slits for windows. At the very top was a balcony, with a telescope on it. “Ready to go inside?” He asked in the same deadpan tone.

Emily looked at it, “I would rather live outside honestly...”

Jason sighed, “Trust me, so would I, but he threatened me, and to an extent, you, with animating our bodies and forcing us to sleep inside.” He began grumbling, “I swear when I get my hands on that bastard…” He grumbled angrily.

Emily sighed, and walked over to the large wooden door, opening it and walking in. The inside was no better than the outside, a black carpet in the middle, covering a four foot diameter circle of cold stone floor. The walls were bare, save for a mirror on one part, which was very ornate. There were no other doors on the walls, nor no apparent ways up or down. “Well fuck him and the odd wizard towers he apparently grew up with.” she muttered, looking around.

“I think all of this is really cool,” Jason said, a bit more energetic, “Except Imloch wouldn’t let me have any electricity, which means no charging my phone…” He grumbled, taking it out, “It’s on like ten percent, and that’s only because I had a spare battery.” He muttered, “Stupid wizard, saying electricity does weird things to magic.”

Emily glared at him, “You can't even use it to call anybody anyway. All that is possible for it is music at this point, which consists of Star Wars.” she muttered, looking up at the ceiling, “I need stairs to actually go up!”

Jason’s face turned excited again, “Actually no.” He said, walking towards the mirror, “Arch wizards study.” He said, as a bright flash emanated from the mirror, and the room vanished, replaced by another room, this one more furnished. A brown oaken desk sat at one end of the room, a black banner behind it, embroidered with a silver skull. A fireplace sat to the right of them, a blazing fire within it, and the same mirror that was on the previous floor stood behind them. A black and silver robed wizard sat at the desk, looking expectantly at the duo.

Emily looked around, “Lovely. When exactly do I get to have the staff thing back?” she asked.

Imloch glowed, vanishing and reappearing next to them, a slightly manic look in his eyes. “You don’t, unless I wish to become a staff.” He said in a rapid tone, “Or I loose all my energy, and the power surge should drain within the hour. So don’t worry, I’ll be nice and calm in an hour.” He placed his arms around Emily and Jason, “Have you ever realized how beautiful the skies are at night?” He asked, “I mean, you can see Aquarius Capricorn Pisces Virgo Scorpio and so many many many others!” He said at sonic speed.

“Oh my God...” Emily puttered, putting her face in her hands.

“The energy surge must have activated my latent ADHD attribute, which makes me ultra hyper, on top on of a sugar rush and a dozen coffees.” He giggled, “I’m like Pinkie Pie times five!” He laughed manicly, beginning to bounce around, before freezing mid jump, and falling flat on the floor, face first.

Emily looked at him, “I am more scared of him this way then when he is angry...” She whispered, looking at Jason.

Jason looked like he didn’t know whether to laugh hysterically or cry for help. “Yeah… Pinkie Pie times five? I think any sane being would be scared of that…” He muttered as Imloch turned back into a staff. “He just began acting like this at like midnight, I was too bloody stressed to sleep, made the entire house this, and just would not shut the fuck up…” He rubbed his temples, “A headache on top of the house into some kind of wizard tower…”

Emily smiled, “I think im happy then I wasn't around for that.”

Jason groaned, “You bet your ass you were lucky… Do you know what it’s like having him bounce around, reciting the different elements of casting a spell in Draconic? All through the bloody night?”

Emily laughed, picking Imloch up, “Not really, but I know of a certain nerd who recites Star Wars quotes.”

“The Force will be with you always.” Jason said, smirking, “In this case it’s truer than most.”

“Its magic, it isnt the force like in star wars.” Emily rolled her eyes, putting Imloch down on the desk, and going over to the mirror, “I want to see if he gave me a room...”

Jason smiled, “I think you’ll like it.” He said as he got up. “Just say ‘Emily’s Bedroom.’ and you’ll be teleported to the room.”

Emily smiled, looking at the mirror, “Emily’s bedroom.” the room changed. It was a big ornate room, and looked like it was shaped like a half soccerball. There were shelves on all of the walls, with some books on them. Her bed was huge, and was covered in big fluffy warm looking velvet blue sheets. There was a dresser and a closet in a corner. Emily looked around, “Cool.”

Jason flashed into the room, smiling, “I figure you can add some personal touches later on.” He turned to her, “Like it?”

Emily nodded, “I like it, not really sure about shelves everywhere...”

Jason sniggered, “I think those are for spell books. And experiment notebooks.” He placed a hand to his temple in a mock headache, “I see a lot of studying and experimentation in your future.”

Emily sighed, “I only agreed to get him off my back...Im going to try and get out of it anyway I can honestly...”

”Yeah… That’s never going to happen…” Imloch said, a flash emanating from the portal. “I took you as an apprentice, I have to teach you at least some basic magic to defend yourself.”

Emily sighed, “How are you able to always teleport everywhere whenever I talk?”

“I’m magical that way.” Imloch smirked. “Do you like your room? Jason gave some input.”

Emily sighed, nodding, “Yeah, I like the room. I wish I had the couple trophies I got for soccer though...”

Imloch was silent, “That… Might be possible… While It is impossible to send a living creature through dimensions, bringing a non-organic thing might not be…” His face gained a thoughtful look, “Do you remember where the approximate locations they were in?”

“On a shelf… Where else would a trophy be put?” Emily said.

Imloch sighed before closing his eyes. “Mirane Confren…” He chanted, a soft glow emanating from the shelves, as Emily’s trophies were moved across space/time. As the spell finished, Imloch staggered, before collapsing onto the floor, turning back into a staff as he did.

Jason sighed, picking up the staff, “Is that going to happen every time?” He asked.

Emily shrugged, “I wouldn't really mind.” She went over to the shelves and looked at her second and first place trophies.

Jason stood next to her, “I guess it’s nice to have some things from home…” He said, a saddened look in his eyes.

Emily glanced at him, “You might not have stuff like trophies and whatever to decorate a shelf, but you have a friend with you.”

Jason nodded, smiling slightly, “Yeah, I guess so.” He sighed, before a humungous crash echoed throughout the tower. “It came from the top floor!” He said, before going to the mirror, “Balcony!” He said, before teleporting to said room.

Jason’s eyebrow raised as he saw Rainbow Dash sprawled on the floor, the Telescope in ruins next to her. “Uhhg…” She moaned.

Emily teleported in after him after naming the balcony, “What the hell happened to her, did she get hit by a train and not die by some miracle?”

“No…” Rainbow’s voice came from the ground, “Applejack was helping me with a trick, and she fell asleep.” She grumbled.

“Falling asleep sent you into a telescope...” Emily wondered, “The hell is with this world...”

Jason glared at Rainbow, “So, lemme get this straight, you asked Applejack, who has one of the biggest harvests in Ponyville, if not all of Equestria, to help you with a trick, while she should be working?” He asked, getting a bit miffed, “Doesn’t that seem a bit selfish?”

Rainbow glared back at him, however, a bit of hesitation sat behind her eyes, “Well...I knew that she had the harvest and all, but she said it wouldn't be an issue and could do it,” She said, “And besides, she did agree to help Flutters and Pinkie too, so I didn't think it would be a huge deal.”

Emily stared down at the ground, a bunch of ponies freaking out, “Why are they running from bunnies and upchucking...”

Jason paled, racing over to the edge, “Oh no…” He muttered, “Why couldn’t you have left her alone?” He asked, racing back to the mirror, “Ground floor!” He yelled, the flash blinding Emily and Rainbow. They saw him race out the door on the bottom floor and go towards the library.

Emily sighed, helping Rainbow Dash stand up, “She has bad priorities.”

RD sighed, “I guess Jason was right… I really shouldn’t have asked her…” She spread her wings and took off, pausing and turning back to Emily, “I’m sorry for what happened at Sweet Apple Acres, I panicked, and I let a friend down…” She sighed again, “I’m sorry.”

Emily blinked, “What? You were there?” she asked.

Rainbow nodded in confusion, “Yeah… You were gushing blood, and I had just never seen that before… I flew away as quick as I could.” She blushed, “I let you down, and I’m sorry…” She sighed again, “Are we cool?”

“I was barely conscious enough to know who was there or a conversation going on. As far as I'm concerned, you don't need to apologize, I would probably run from myself as well if I could. Your fine.” Emily said.

Rainbow sighed, this time in relief, “Thanks, that’s a weight off my mind. I’m gonna see what I can do to stop the mass panic.” She dashed away, leaving Emily on the balcony.

Emily waved goodbye to her and sighed, looking back over the balcony, picking up Imloch from where Jason dropped him as she watched the ponies below.


Jason burst through the door of The Golden Oaks Library, nearly tackling Twilight, “Is Applejack trying to help our friends and failing horribly?” He asked once he had his balance back.

Twilight looked up at him, a grim look on her face, “Well, considering what's going on, I would say yes. Pinkie Pie said she left for the farm when i checked on some of the ponies at the infirmary due to her muffins, so Im going to ask her one more time to let us help her.” she said, trotting quickly out of the library.

Jason was impatient to get to Sweet Apple Acres as he followed Twilight, “Can we run instead of speed-walk?” He asked.

Twilight sighed, “I'll teleport us.” her horn glowed, and she closed her eyes as she concentrated, her spell popping a few times in failure before finally sending both of them to the orchard.

Jason rubbed his stomach, “Still don’t like teleportation…” He muttered.

Twilight looked at him, “Luckily I didn't burn my passanger this time...thats good...a bit interesting... she shook her head, and ran off further into the orchard.

Jason sighed and caught up with her, “Applejack seems to have done a good job with this half of the Orchard.” He said.

“Yeah, she did.” Twilight agreed, trotting into a part of the orchard that had a few trees that still had apples in them, catching sight of Applejack a few trees further.

“OI, Applejack!” Jason called, waving his hand, “Can we speak to you?”

Applejack looked around at his voice and stumbled a bit, trying to continually kick a tree that she wasn't anywhere close to, “Yeah, jus lemme finish up tha orchard, jus got this one tree left an ah will finally be done.” she backed up, and kicked the tree.

Jason raised an eyebrow towards her, leaning down to Twilight, “She does realize this is only one half of the Orchard, right?” He whispered to her.

Twilight sighed, “Sleep deprivation. She hasn't slept at all for the weeks since Apple Bucking Season has happened, and the only thing she has done is help her friends and buck trees. She has hit against the ground multiple times, hit her head against a tree branch, and refused to listen to me telling her she needs help.”

“Ah don need help! Ah kin do everythin on mah own… jus this last apple...” Applejack muttered, hitting the tree continually, smiling satisfyingly as all the apples fell.

Jason groaned, “For the love of…” He strode towards Applejack, kneeling down and placing his hands on her withers, “Applejack.” He said, staring into her eyes, “You have done one bloody half of the bloody orchard!” He yelled, “One half! Can you do the other before you just freaking keel over!?”

Applejack glared at him, “Shoot, ah can do it on ma own. Ah gotta do ma own chores an not take tha easy way out and git somepony ta do it fer me.” she exclaimed.

Twilight sighed, “I feel like we're repeating something...”

Jason glared back at her, “I am not giving up. People on my world work horses to exhaustion, then some. Then, once they keel over, dead, they turn them into Adhesive.” He turned back to Applejack, “I am not having you keel over for something that doesn’t have to be your burden alone.” He said, no hint of a joke in his voice.

Twilight looked like she was going to throw up, but Applejack just glared harder, “Ah aint nothin like one ah yer horses. Ahm a farm pony, and this is ma job, and ah needa fix up ma job on ma own...” she fell asleep standing up in the middle of her sentence.

Jason pushed out his breath in anger, “For the love of god!” He roared, waking her back up as he picked her up and pointed her towards the other half, “You think you can do this alone? Before you just give out!?”

Twilight's eyes sparkled, and she smiled, “I remember now! Remember what you told me about letting others take care of situations before?”

Jason nodded, a grim look still on his face, “Exactly, when you’re at you bloody limit, which clearly you are, there is no fucking shame in asking for help. Hell, there is no shame in asking for help at all! You’re brother helped you before, right? Then why not let your friends help?”

Applejack sighed, “Ah dunno. Can ya put me down er something please?”

Jason laughed lightly, “Yes, that I can do.” He said as he gently placed her down.

“Thank ya.” Applejack looked at the over half of the orchard tiredly, “Ah suppos ah can admit ah do need a might bit ah help...” she sighed, looking over at Jason and Twilight, “Would ya please help me?”

Jason smiled, nodding, “All you had to do was ask.” He turned to Twilight, “Could you get everyone else? Imloch and Emily should be in the Tower.”

Twilight nodded, “Yes, and I finally have a friendship lesson to add to what you told me before to send to Celestia.” she smiled giddily and teleported away, a quill and scroll in her magic a split second before leaving.

Applejack blinked, shaking her head, “Ah dunno what she jus said, but ahm jus happy tha ahm gettin help.”

Jason sighed, “If only you were like that from the start…”


The harvest went extraordinarily well, with Applejack and her friends, plus the help of Jason, Emily and Imloch, the other half of the orchard was harvested in a record time of two days. Applejack was resting while everyone else worked, which everyone was happy to do, after all, she had tried to help some of her best friends, even when dead tired. She gave out juice boxes when she was awake, and by the end, Spike had found his way there, even though he was eating the baked bads that Pinkie Pie and Applejack had made, and sent Twilights letter.

Jason walked through the darkening town, a slight spring in his step. He approached the library, a slip of paper in his hand. “Twilight, are you ready for the movie?” He asked as he knocked on the door.

Twilight opened the door, her ticket in her magic, “I believe so. Lets get going to the theater.”

Jason smiled, unable to contain his excitement, “It’s been so long since I’ve seen Star Wars. I am so freaking excited!” He squealed.

Twilight chuckled, “Well, I can see that I must be in for a wonderfully made movie then.” she said, closing the library door and heading off in the direction of the theater.

Jason followed her, the spring enhancing with every step he took. He noticed she was watching him as he walked until they got to the theater. “Something you want to say?” He asked, stopping at the ticket guy and handing the stallion his ticket.

Twilight shrugged, “Nothing. Just interested in the mood change and your apparent excitement of the movie.” She said, getting her entrance ticket and heading to the theater room, finding a seat in the middle of the room.

Jason’s smile drooped a bit, “Yeah, I was pretty damned angry with her wasn’t I?” He sighed, “My anger is something that I do not take pride in…” He said, sitting down next to her.

Twilight sighed, “Well, the way you said it, it sounded like humans do a lot of horrible stuff to ponies in your world, so I suppose you had a right to be angry that a pony here would be doing something close to what they do...” she whispered.

Jason sighed, “Ponies weren’t treated that badly, but their larger counterparts, Horses, were. Some people treated them absolutely horrible, working them till death, then finding some horrible use for them after it. We’ve done horrible things to dogs, cats, fish, wolves, if it exists, humans have found some ways to fuck with it…” He muttered, as the movie started to come on, Twilight looking thoughtful.


Jason and Twilight exited the theater, Jason having an excited look on his face, “Did you see how Lute Skydancer blew up the death star!”

Twilight nodded, smiling, “Yes, it was actually a very enjoyable movie. I’m happy that I finally got to see it after it has been out so long.”

Jason nodded rapidly, “And there should be like five other movies, if they make the same ones as on my world!”

Twilight chuckled, “I am guessing this is the bubbly excitement that makes Emily mad at you?”

Jason smiled fondly, “It’s dimmed down from anger to slight annoyance. But she takes it.” He yawned, “Man, I’m beat, I should go back to the tower.” He gave Twilight a light hug, “G’night.” He muttered, stumbling towards the tower.

Twilight waved goodbye as she headed back to the library, “It was a nice movie. I think there should be more movie nights with my friends...” She said, thinking, going further away as she thought.