• Published 29th Aug 2014
  • 1,049 Views, 61 Comments

The Rainbow Portal - Thunder Quill



When two friends get chased into an odd old temple with strange drawings on the walls, they find a colorful rainbow portal and get sucked into it. Having been found by a mythological creature, they go and help her in her endeavor to save her friend,.

  • ...
9
 61
 1,049

chapter 11

Thunder strode through the town, smiling at seeing Trixie’s caravan gone. “Good riddance.” He said with finality, before continuing down the path to his motel room. He gave a nod to the owner of the motel, a stallion named Filthy Rich. Filthy didn’t manage the motel, but he did go down to it every once and a while to check how it was doing. “Ah, hello Mr. Quill, I trust everything is going alright?” Filthy asked, giving him a warm smile.

Thunder smiled back, “Very good Mr. Rich, thank you.” Thunder liked Filthy Rich. Unlike most of the rich ponies from Canterlot, who only cared about money, cutting corners and cheating ponies, Mr. Rich was a good stallion. While he did seek a profit, like all business owners, Mr. Rich cared for the people he employed, giving them bonuses when he could, raises, and days off when they needed it. “I met Jason Schmidt today, the Human?”

Filthy looked happy to learn that, “Oh that’s wonderful, I’ve only met Mr. Schmidt a couple of times since he has lived here, but he seemed like a nice chap. It was horrible to learn that he was foalnapped, what happened to him?”

Thunder hesitated, “It’s not my place to say. He’ll come back fully to town when he is ready I suppose, but he is staying in that cave that the dragon was staying in a couple days ago.”

Mr. Rich nodded, “I understand, Diamond Tiara needs to be picked up from school soon, she’ll be so excited to know that Jason is back, they became friends over Star Mares, so I must be going.”

Thunder nodded back, a smile on his face, “Alright, have a nice day Mr. Rich.” He said, smiling as he walked up stairs, Mr. Rich walking out the door.


Diamond sat against a tree, a sad frown on her face. “Come on Diamond, cheer up.” One of her best friends, Silver Spoon said, coming up to her, “You’ve been in a mope for a few days, Jason’ll be back soon, trust me.”

Three more ponies came up, Sweetie Belle, Applebloom and Scootaloo, “Yeah, Emily and Imloch are looking really hard for him, he’ll be back in no time.” Sweetie Belle said giving her a comforting smile.

Apple Bloom smiled at her, “Don't ya worry, they're probably comin back as we speak an will greet us later.” She said.

“Yeah, couldn't have gone far, otherwise Rainbow would have went for him too.” Scootaloo said.

Diamond’s sad frown turned into a small smile, “Thanks, you’re right, I’m probably in a mope for no reason.” She said, getting up and hugging them.

“Diamond?” Filthy Rich called from the school gate, “Where are you sweetheart?”

“Over here daddy!” She said, extracting herself from the hug.

“Diamond, I have great news for you!” Her father said, “Jason is back!”

“Ah told ya they would be back as we speak.” Applebloom said.

Diamond froze, her eyes widening as she let out a very Pinkie-esc gasp, “Really!?” She squealed, her face a picture of pure and utter joy, “Where is he!?

“He’s outside of town,” Her father replied, “In the mountain where the dragon was.” He gave them each a stern look, “Now, I think something happened to him while he was away, so he’s not ready to come into town. I don’t want you to climb up there and bother him, am I clear?”

“Yes.” Each of the fillies said, a look of pure innocence on their faces, and if one looked closely, they could see the faint outline of a halo over each and every one of their heads.

“Good, now are you ready to go sweetheart?” Filthy asked his daughter.

“Actually daddy, we were kind of wondering if we could hang out at Sweet Apple Acres today?” She asked sweetly, shooting a subtle glance over to the others, which asked, “Please say yes.”

“What? But I, Ow!” Scootaloo groaned, glaring at Sweetie Belle, “I mean, yeah, we were going to go there, and not having Diamond wouldn't be cool...” she said, Applebloom stared at them.

“Well… Alright, will I be picking you up at the regular time?” Filthy asked, to which the fillies nodded, “I’ll see you later Diamond,” He kissed her on the forehead and walked away, leaving the fillies alone in the schoolyard.

“What was that all about Diamond?” Spoon asked her, “Why are we going to Applebloom’s place?”

Applebloom frowned, “Ah love havin yall visitin mah home, but ah thought ya were goin home with yer dad today...”

Diamond turned to them, a gleeful smile on her face, “I’m sorry about putting you on the spot like that Applebloom, but I needed an excuse so that my dad couldn’t bring me home.”

Sweetie stared at her, realization becoming evident on her face, “You’re going up the mountain, aren’t you!?”

“That sounds awesome!” Scootaloo exclaimed, “Mountain climbing cutie marks.”

Applebloom frowned, “So ya lied fer both things? Ah don't like lying ta ponies, and it seems like it be mighty hard ta climb up that.”

Diamond looked guiltily towards Applebloom, “Sorry Bloom, but I have to see him. He’s my Star Mares buddy.”

Sweetie stared at her still, “You’re going to climb a mountain that a dragon was living in not four days ago!? ARE YOU MAD!?” She screeched, her normally squeaky voice louder than normal.

Scootaloo rolled her eyes, “No, she isn't mad, she’s cool! Shes doing something that I thought only Rainbow Dash would do!” she hoof bumped Diamond, “I'm with you.”

“Well, since Jason is up there right now, It’s obvious that he did it,” Silver Spoon said, earning a glare from Scootaloo, “But I’m with you too.”

“Ah don think this is right, its dishonest an we kin get inta trouble fer disobeyin yer dad and trying ta climb somethin like that...” Applebloom said.

“Applebloom,” Diamond began, “There are some things, that are worth getting in trouble for. Seeing Jason is one of those things, at least to me.” Her voice took a desperate tone, “What would you do if Applejack and Big Mac vanished, and you had no Idea what happened to them or when they would be back?” She asked Applebloom.

Applebloom looked at the ground, “Ahd probably be lookin fer em, and might also try an see em if they were found...”

Diamond nodded, “Exactly, Jason is like a big brother to me, and I need to see him again.”

Applebloom sighed, “Alright, fine, ah guess, let's go an see ‘im.”

Diamond squee’d, wrapping her hooves around Applebloom, “Thank you!”

“Yer welcome...” Applebloom said, hugging her back awkwardly.

“Lets go!” Diamond said excitedly, scrabbling towards the mountain.


“See ya Gilda!” Rainbow said, flying into the sky.

Jason sighed, glancing towards his wings, “I really wish Thunder hadn’t done that…” He grumbled.

Gilda looked at him, “Well, it was either him do that, or him be worried you were some sort of invader trying to kill ponies here. It was probably the only way he could think to keep you out of the sky so he could get you.” she shrugged, leaving the entrance of the cave and going over to him, “They can probably fix it themselves.”

Jason sighed, “Yeah, probably… It sucks not being able to fly though.” He said, turning to her, “I’m gonna try to change my shape into something more normal.” He said, closing his eyes. A green flame washed over him, his grey skin turning back to normal human color, and his eyes turning a more normal green. His hair remained as a mohawk, but it turned the same color as it was originally, a very dirty blond, almost brown. “Glad to see that worked.” He said.

“If you can turn human, does that mean you can turn into a griffon, or a pony?” Gilda asked.

Jason blinked, “I didn’t think of that.” He said, closing his eyes again. He flashed green again, and a deep grey griffon stood in front of Gilda, his wing-tips were a bright green, the same of his eyes, and the feathers over his eyes were a bright blue. “I’m a griffon.” Jason said blankly.

Gilda walked over and circled around him to look at his body, “Yes, you are. For a first time as one, you did a good job.” she said.

“Good…” He said, before closing his eyes again. His body was bathed in green flames again, and Jason turned into a deep purple earth pony, taller and bigger than big mac, with bright gold eyes, and a black mane and tail, which was styled into a ponytail. “And Pony Form is go.” He said.

Gilda looked at him, “Could be better honestly.” she said.

Jason gave her an indignant look, “What did I do wrong?!”

“You look like one of those hippy ponies.” Gilda said, rolling her eye, using her tail to move his ponytail.

“You mean my hairstyle?: He said blankly, “It’s called a ponytail, and if you don’t like it…” He trailed off, his mane and tail flashing green as they became slicked back, “I can change it.”

Gilda looked at him, “Thats good, anyway...I call that huge alcove over there!” she said, flying past him into the hole in the cave wall. “So many gems this stupid dragon had...” she muttered, pushing out a giant ruby, which was at least the size of a normal pony, and dropped it onto the floor.

“Holy Shit…” He gaped at the ruby, his form turning to a normal humans, “How much is in there?!”

Gildas groan echoed from inside the hole, “That ruby, and a few other smaller things. This isn't really a tunnel, so he couldn't have gotten much.” her head came out of the darkness of the area, “I think he got most of his horde anyway, unless he has any other hidy holes.”

A grin came across Jason’s face, “Who’s up for a treasure hunt?”

Gilda looked back into the darkness of her new room, “Not right now, kinda want to like...actually get comfortable with this thing. Still need some light.” she muttered, going back into it.

Jason sighed, “Can’t get lights without money, can’t get money without one, a job, or two, things to sell. Why don’t we find stuff to sell.”

“Notice; giant ruby.” Gildas voice said from the darkness. “You aren't happy with that, what the hell.”

“All I’m sayin is that we should look for as much as we can, as soon as we can.” He said, before freezing as a gasp came from the entrance.

A hesitant voice came from the entrance, “J-Jason?” Diamond Tiara’s voice asked, “I-is that you?”


Diamond Tiara stared defiantly at the top of the mountain, “I shall not be deterred!” She yelled.

“Seriously?” Applebloom asked incredulously, “Tha mountain ya are in front of is steep, ah dunno how ma sister an her friends even got up there ta begin with.”

Diamond pointed to a staircase on one side of the mountain, “I think that they would go up that.” She deadpanned.

Scootaloo stared at it, “No way, Rainbow never said there was a staircase.”

Applebloom frowned, “Who puts ah staircase on ah mountain?” she wondered.

Silver stared, “Some kind of old culture?” She suggested.

“Whoever put it, we can thank them later!” Diamond cried, charging up the stairs.

“That is a crazy filly…” Sweetie muttered, racing after her with everyone else.

“Ahm startin ta think this is ah bad idea again...” Applebloom muttered.


“How… Many… Stairs… Are… There!?” Silver shouted between pants, “This… Is… Getting… Bucking… Rediculus!”

“Yeah...this is sort of getting dumb.” Scootaloo sighed, jumping from stair to stair.

Applebloom seemed to be the best off, “We might be almost there.”

“Thank Celestia!” Sweetie cried, throwing her hooves in the air.

“Ah said might. Ah dunno if thas a curve ta the stairs up ahead, er tha end.” Applebloom said.

“ONWARDS!” Diamond yelled, charging up the stairs, before stopping short at the very top.

“What’s wrong Diamond?” Silver asked.

Diamond didn’t respond for a moment, “What if my dad was wrong?” She mumbled, “What if he’s not here, and we did all of this for nothing?”

“Ill hit you.” Scootaloo threatened.

Sweetie Belle slugged Scootaloo in the shoulder at her threat, “We’re still your friends, and you were desperate to see him.”

Scootaloo rubbed her shoulder, “Yeah, that too.” She muttered.

“We got here now, might as well jus go an see if yer dad was right.” Applebloom said.

Diamond nodded mutely, walking up the final stair and looking into the cave, seeing a being that made her heart soar, “J-Jason?” She asked, her voice trembling, “I-is that you?”


Jason turned, his face holding a disbelieving look, “Diamond?” He asked, “Silver Spoon? Scootaloo? Applebloom? Sweetie Belle? What are you doing here!?”

“Who?” Gilda asked, coming out of the hole, staring at the fillies standing at the entrance, “Those fillies got guts to walk up a mountain...”

“T-there are stairs…” Silver Spoon stammered, frightened at the sight of the griffon.

Scootaloo nodded, sighing, “Yeah...it sucks.”

Jason blinked, “Stairs, leading up a mountain? Why am I thinking this is not a normal mountain, or even a normal Dragon hoard…”

“Looks normal to me.” Gilda said, letting go of a small gem in her tail, letting it hit the floor.

Jason shook his head, before turning back to Diamond, a small smile on his face, “Are you alright?” He asked.

Diamond stared at him, before her eyes broke out in tears as she charged him, glomping him with a huge tackle hug, “I-I was s-so wo-worried!” She cried, “You had ju-just vanished, a-and no-nopony knew where yo-you had go-gone.”

Gilda looked down at Diamond, and the other fillies, before looking at Jason, “Im guessing these guys are some more of your friends.” She stated.

Jason smiled, “Yeah, me and Diamond became friends over Star Mares, and she introduced me to Silver Spoon. Sweetie Belle, the white unicorn is the sister of Rarity, Applebloom is the sister of Applejack, and Scootaloo is the adopted sister of Rainbow Dash.” Jason explained, hugging the crying Diamond tighter.

Scootaloo shrugged, “As close to a sister as I can get with parents who work all the time.” she said.

Gilda shrugged, “Alright, nice meeting you guys. Im going to get the rest of these gems out of my room.” she said as she went back into the alcove.

Jason shrugged, before looking back to Diamond, who had stopped fully crying, “Are you alright now?” He asked softly.

Diamond nodded shakily, “Y-yeah… but why didn’t you come back to town?” She asked him, “You look fine, why didn’t you go to your tower?”

“Applejack told me for’ tha some ponies after getting foalnapped an saved, liked ta be alone by themselves. Maybe hes jus doin that?” Applebloom suggested.

Jason shook his head, “That… isn’t it Applebloom.” He sighed, placing Diamond down on the ground before brightening, “Anyway, is anyone up for a treasure hunt?” He asked them, “This cave used to be a dragon’s hoard, and all we could find was a HUGE ruby, and some smaller ones.” He gestured towards the pony sized ruby, “But I’m sure there is tons more, I just need some help from some brave explorers like yourselves.”

Scootaloo smiled, “Totally!” she exclaimed, her wings buzzing.

Diamond nodded excitedly, “Course we will!” She said, “Who’s with us!?” She cried.

Applebloom hesitated, and looked at Jason, “Can ya make it so we don't git inta trouble fer bein here?” she asked.

Jason opened his mouth, before closing it, “You’re not supposed to be here?” He asked them.

Diamond looked highly guilty, “No… We aren’t. My daddy told me that you were back, and, even though he said not to bother you, I just had to see you.”

Jason sighed, “Well, since I can’t do anything about things you’ve already done, I will do my best to make sure that you won’t get in trouble.”

Applebloom looked relieved, “Thank ya...” she said.

“Lets go treasure hunting! One of us might get a cutie mark for it.” Scootaloo exclaimed.

Jason smirked, “Alright! Gilda, want to come with us?” He called into the alcove.

“I’m not interested in watching some chicks, I'll pass.” Gilda said.

Jason shrugged, “Alright, you fillies ready to go?”

“Yeah!” Scootaloo exclaimed.

“I guess so…” Sweetie said, still unsure about it, “What if we find something dangerous down there?”

Scootaloo got up on her back hooves and started punching the air with her forehooves like rainbow, “We’ll fight it!”

Jason glanced at Scootaloo, “We’ll do our best to avoid any danger, if something bad happens, I want you to run.”

Scootaloo got back on her hooves and sighed, “Fine...”

Jason patted her lightly on the head, “Good girl, now, onwards!” He yelled, striding down the cave tunnel, his duster flapping slightly.


Filthy Rich was in his office, working on some papers, when a feeling of dread hit him. He felt like something bad was going to happen to Diamond. “I should go check to make sure she’s alright…” He mumbled to himself, getting out of his chair and walking out of his office.

“Is everything alright Mr. Rich?” His secretary asked him as he walked past.

“I hope so…” He whispered, before turning to her briefly, “You may have the rest of the day off, spend some time with your daughter,” He smiled briefly.

The mare smiled, “Thank you sir.” She said gratefully. Filthy strode out of the building and went towards the orchard owned by the Apple family.

Applejack bumped into him when they were in the middle of the town, “Mighty sorry Mr. Rich, how are ya?” she asked, looking around.

He smiled, “Good, thank you, but I have a question to ask you. Is everything alright with Diamond?” He asked her.

Applejack frowned, “Ah was wonderin tha same bout Applebloom. Ah assumed tha she was with ya, an if not you, then Rarity. Ah guess ah got ma answer.” she said.

Rich frowned, “She told me that she and her friends were going to Sweet Apple Acres to…” He trailed off, “Oh no…”

Applejack looked at him, “Ah haven't seen em, why do ya think they would lie bout bein at tha farm?” She asked.

“Jason, the human, he’s back in town, and he and Diamond were best friends, I told her where he was…” He groaned, “I told her not to go, but she did it anyway, and got her friends to help her…”

Applejack's eyes widened, “They went ta see Jason? Aw shoot...” She muttered.

“We have to go after them.” He said, “That mountain is dangerous, they could get seriously hurt.”

Applejack nodded, “Went up tha mountain once, ah know tha way up it without gettin hurt, ahll lead ya up there.” She said.

Filthy Rich nodded, “Let's go!” He said, going towards the mountain as fast as he could go.


“It’s pretty dark in here…” Sweetie mumbled, her eyes darting around, trying to see something.

Applebloom nodded in the darkness, “Ah agree...ah don like it.” she said.

Scootaloo laughed with forced bravado, “It isn't...that bad.”

SIlver huddled closer to Diamond, “A-are you sure this was a good idea?” She asked her.

Diamond looked up at Jason, “Are you sure anything is down here?”

Jason shrugged, “No idea to be honest. This is more me hoping and finding something hopefully.”

“Thas ah...great reason...” Applebloom said doubtfully.

“I know it’s a bad reason, but I can promise you that I won’t let anything happen to you.” Jason said.

“Ow!” Scootaloo yelled, bumping into something.

The something growled, a pair of green eyes appearing as a scratching sound emanated from in front of them. “Shit.” Jason muttered, yanking Scootaloo back.

“What the hay is that?!” Scootaloo exclaimed.

‘Well since I can only hear it, I would say something insectoid.” Jason said, “And big…” He said, about to yell run as a loud crash echoed behind them, “Crap!” He yelled, whipping around to see a giant boulder blocking their route.

“Ah shoot.” Applebloom said, “How kin we git outta here now?!” she exclaimed.

“Girls,” Jason said, urgency in his voice, “I am about to do something really stupid, so please, do not scream.” His eyes flashed green in the darkness, his body glowing green, lighting up an immediate area around him as green flames washed over his entire body, his wings appearing and his skin turning dark grey as his horn grew. The fillies were holding each other, and when they saw the green flames and him changing, they screamed, despite him telling them not to. Jason winced as they screamed, before turning back to the five insectoid creatures. His eyes widened as he recognized what they were, “Charus!?” He exclaimed, “This isn’t Skyrim!”

The Charus charged him, mandibles chomping greedily, “SHIT!” He yelped, sidestepping as it rushed past him, it’s head exploding as it impacted the wall. “This’ll be a challenge…” He muttered, turning his right arm into a circular saw and the other into a shield like shape. He rushed one of the other Charus, blocking it’s mandibles with his shield. “Not today!” He smirked, rotating the saw at a high speed as he cut into it’s side, a fluorescent blue goo coming out of it. “Gross…” He muttered as it covered him. Pulling the saw out of its side, he turned to another one, it’s eyes still flashing. “Come and get me.” He growled, the Charus charging him and tackling him to the floor.

As the Charus and Jason fought, the other three surrounded the fillies, mandibles clacking and claws screeching. Scootaloo shivered, “I changed my mind, I don't want to fight them...” she said.

“Ah don think ah kin buck em, they aint small enough, an don look that soft.” Applebloom said, hugging the others.

Diamond hugged her back, “What are they?” She whispered.

They crept closer, eyes glinting evilly, “GET AWAY FROM THEM!” Jason’s voice roared as he smashed into them, his body seemingly made out of stone. His right hand changed from a saw to a warhammer shape, while his other changed into a bladed whip. As the three Charus regained their balance, one of them was killed as a giant stone smashed into it’s face. The other one gained countless lacerations as the whip slashed it’s body to bits. It gained length as it encompassed the beast. He gave the slightest tug and the beast fell apart. “Are you alright?” He asked turning to the fillies.

“Ah-ah think so...” Applebloom said as Scootaloo let go of the hug, and looked around.

Jason turned to Diamond, “And you?”

Diamond nodded shakily, “Y-yeah… I think so…”

Silver stared at him, “What the buck was that!?” She screeched.

Jason didn’t respond, instead throwing himself in front of the fillies as the final Charus’s mandibles pierced his stony chest. His eyes drifted downwards as the stone disappeared from his body, replaced with his black chitin. The monstrous insectoid slipped backwards, Jason's body falling flat on his face.

The Charus skirted forwards, it's mandibles screeching.

Sweetie shivered at the sound, "What do we do now?" She asked the group.

"Scream?" Silver said, horrified at the sight of Jason impaled.

“Yeah.” Scootaloo said, as they started screaming.

"Can you turn it down?" Jason's voice asked, as the Charus's head exploded, a giant spiked ball taking its place. "This guy has a splitting headache." He smirked, his hand forming again.

“Howd ya do tha?” Applebloom asked.

Jason looked uncomfortable for a moment, "When I was captured, the Queen of one of the larger changeling hives, Queen Chrysalis, wanted to see if her changeling morphing abilities would work on things other than equines..." He trailed off, his eyes widening, "Oh fuck..." He whispered.

Diamond's eyes widened in horror, before narrowing in anger, "She did what!?"

Scootaloo looked at her, in the dim light of the dark cave, “Apparently, she made him into a changeling.” she said, rolling her eyes.

"And that's not the worst of it..." Jason said, beginning to panic.

“A-are ya ok?” Applebloom asked.

"No, I'm not. Think about it, a changeling queen wants to expand her army, adding new and more powerful creatures." Jason said, "What's the most logical reason she would want to do that?"

“Uh...ta git more ponies under her rule?” Applebloom guessed.

“To have more followers?” Scootaloo guessed.

"World domination..." Silver whispered, her eyes widening under her glasses.

Jason nodded, "Exactly. Scoots, Applebloom, you're both right, but her goal is to take over the world."

Applebloom looked at the ground, before lifting her head and looking around the dark cave, “Ah wanna go home now...”

"We have to go deeper..." Jason said, "There is a breeze, very slight, and a slight scent of..." He paused, "Oil?" He shook his head, "Whatever it is, it seems like the only way to go."

“Lets go then!” Scootaloo exclaimed, running the way he had said.

Jason sighed, "She's never going to learn is she?"


At the entrance of the cave, illuminated by the light of the moon, a bipedal creature stood on the rock. Its eyes glowed green as it looked in, its teeth and claws sharp, wood covering its whole body, wooden ears on top of its short hair. It looked into the cave for a few minutes, before it moved, and disappeared entirely from the mountain, as it went back to Ponyville.