• Published 7th Mar 2016
  • 583 Views, 15 Comments

Black Sun Nation - Crysis Commander



An ear-shattering blast ripped the world apart. Equestria's darkest hour was not its last. The old nation torn by civil war ushered forth a new and terrible age, where two brothers struggle to survive.

  • ...
3
 15
 583

Chapter 1: The Beginning

Journal Entry 1

Author: Sunny

Date: 3 years after the blast

Three years. Seems like only yesterday Equestria turned into the chilled, barren hellhole around us. A twenty-five year civil war ended in a flash, so to speak; a beam of magical fire that wiped out countless lives of soldiers and civilians alike. I guess after something like that happens, priorities can change rather quickly.

Anyway, Arcane said I should keep some sort of record of what happens to me - mentioned something about future generations. Not sure how many healthy ponies are left. Like I said: priorities change. However, I've complied with the old stallion’s request, seeing as there isn't anything better to do with my spare time here in Fillydelphia. They mostly just have me light the street lamps at night. Not sure why; pretty much any unicorn can do it. Who knows? - maybe I'm just their lackey of sorts. Still, I guess living here isn't as bad as living beyond the city wall.

It doesn't seem that long ago since Maverick and I came here... amazing how things can change so quickly…

He's gotten better with that speech problem of his. Hell, he's even regained enough intelligence to function at the level of a colt about half his age, but he's still nowhere near where he used to be back home. Funny, as an adult, he isn't as smart as he was when he was a kid. Irony is cruel, I suppose.

Hard to stay happy for him given the condition of the citizens here. There’s only so many times they can shoot him death glares before he knows something is up. I can’t help our situation, I can’t help what happened in Baltimare, I -

“Hey, Sunny,” called a voice.

The pony in question glanced up from his journal to see a golden unicorn with a brown mane standing in the bedroom doorway. “Is it time already?”

“Afraid so. Come on, kid. General Haze doesn't like it when any of his guards are late.”

With a sigh and a roll of his eyes, Sunny released the quill in his magical grasp and rose. Good. I was starting to go off on a tangent. “What do you think he wants this time?”

The old stallion looked grim. “No guarantees, but I’m suspecting it won’t be a pay raise. Never is…”

Sunny strapped on his tarnished gold armor, the color not terribly different from his butter-yellow coat. He ruffled his short dark-orange mane before dawning the helmet. Thankfully to him, the upper nose guard covered the scar across his forehead. Looking to the older stallion, he could see why some thought of them as father and son.

Sunny was the first to speak. “Well, let’s not keep him waiting.”

A nod from his elder was all he needed as an answer. Arcane exited the bedroom, but Sunny stayed back a moment, looking to a framed photograph on the bedside table. The picture looked as though it had seen much better days, it’s corners torn slightly and the image a bit faded, but he could still see the magnificent pony within: an orange-red maned pegasus mare with a cream coat, her wings a breathtaking sight to behold. Her feathers appeared velvety soft even in picture form, their size complimenting her immense wings. She smiled sweetly at him - an innocent, meek smile that still warmed his heart even in the face of turmoil. With a little sigh, he nodded to the picture and trotted out into the kitchen towards the front door.

“Guard duty again?” whined a voice from the kitchen table. There sat a midnight blue earth pony with a cloud grey mane, the bulk of his muscles impressive even for one of his race.

“We’ll be back in a bit, Maverick. You know the drill: don’t go anywhere, don’t let anyone in besides us, and keep the door locked. Understood?” Sunny asked, giving his brother a no-nonsense look.

“Got it, Sunny.”

“Good.”

With that, the door clicked shut as Sunny and Arcane stepped out into the chilled city air. The familiar scene greeted them: the partially rebuilt structures near the capitol building and the towering fence encompassing it all. The ponies on guard atop the wall looked down on the duo, sharing the same grim expression - a mutual understanding. At the end of the still-ravaged road lay the capitol building, a golden-roofed beacon among the barely touched wreckage.

So much gone to waste, Sunny thought, looking at the crumbled city around him. Couldn’t any of the restoration effort have gone here? Was the wall that damn important?

Drawing closer to their destination, Sunny and Arcane entered the more populated area of Fillydelphia. As they passed, stallions shot them killing glares and mothers hid with their children in makeshift homes.

How many of them have to starve and freeze to death out here before Haze does something?

"Sunny."

"Uh, yeah?" Sunny asked, his train of thought being derailed.

"We're here."

Looking in front of him, Sunny beheld the steel chain fence around the capitol. At the gate, a guard pony stepped forward, a light grey pegasus with spear in hoof and armor matching theirs.

"Name and rank, please?" he asked.

Arcane took a step forward. "Arcane. Major."

The stallion turned to Sunny. "And you?"

"Sunny. Private First Class."

The guard pony motioned for the others behind the fence to open the gate. Turning back to the two stallions in front of him, he smirked. "Welcome back, guys. You're just in time for General Haze to scold you for being a minute late."

Rolling his eyes, Arcane stepped past the guard, "You get used to it after a while Felix. Son of a bitch is always griping about something."

Felix shot Arcane a concerned glance. "Sir, don't let him hear you saying that. He may be... difficult, but he's the only meal ticket we have."

"I'm well aware," replied Arcane flatly. Instead of carrying on the conversation, he continued up the stone path without another word.

Still wanting to chat, Felix turned to Sunny. "Well, I should probably let you go. Don't want you and the old stallion missing your big assignment."

Sunny looked puzzled. "Assignment? What kind of assignment?"

"Let's just say that things aren't looking up." He chuckled. "Then again, what else is new?" Clearing his throat after his attempt at humor failed to lighten the atmosphere, he motioned for Sunny to continue on the path. "Go on, now - and good luck, kid."

Sunny nodded. "Thanks, Felix." What he didn't see was the austere expression on Felix's face when their eye contact broke.

Upon entering the capitol building, Sunny was greeted by the pearl white walls, their luster almost sickly. How the guards in here are able to keep their lunch in, I'll never know. Contrasting with the walls, the lengthy carpet bared a faint resemblance to the color of blood - a deep maroon. Above the doorway dangled a marvelous crystal chandelier. The colors of the interior may have been gorgeous, but the glare was a bit much after entering from the dingy outdoors. Following the carpet, he reached the main attraction: the conference room. Several guards stood around the room, all circled around the grand table in the center. At the end of the table sat a grey unicorn. His frizzled black mane held a few grey streaks, though it was not the most noticeable aspect about him. He wore a flawless crimson tunic adorned with the golden Fleur de Lis and olive branches of the Royalists, a chain mail shirt underneath, giving him an air of elegance and nobility. The most noticeable thing about him, however, was the annoyed look he directed towards Sunny.

"Sunny! Where have you been, soldier?!" he shouted, his voice gruff and hoarse, likely due to excess shouting. Looking at his pale blue eyes, Sunny could see they were slightly bloodshot, dark bags circled underneath. He and the other guards knew Haze to be a hardened pony, though it became clearer with each day that the situation in the city did him no favors.

"S-so sorry, General Haze, sir. It’ll never happen again." Sunny knelt in respect. Though he no longer looked to his superior, he knew his eyes still attempted to prod at him. When he rose, he dared not make eye contact again.

"I’d sure as hell hope not! One more stunt like this and you can kiss that armor goodbye!" He paused, sighed, then directed his attention to Arcane. “In the future, try to keep your son in line.”

Sunny said nothing. Arcane posing as his and Maverick’s father allowed them to live together and get increased rations. Giving up such luxuries would be foolish, even if there was the chance they may be found out eventually.

He may as well be my father, Sunny thought. That old bastard's been taking care of my brother and I since we came to that orphanage here. Hell, he saved our lives in Baltimare. In all aspects, I suppose he is my father. Not that the one before was much of a comparison...

"Now that everypony is here, let us get to the subject at hoof," said Haze, snapping Sunny from his thoughts. He sighed heavily, running a hoof through his mane in frustration. "I’m going to level with all of you: it’s not looking good. Food’s short as it is, and despite what I’ve told the citizens, they keep asking for more.” He shook his head, looking down in defeat. “I can’t exactly give them more when the few suppliers we have either get killed, raided, or stop coming out here entirely!” Standing up from his chair, he trotted to the window at the back of the room, giving him a good view of his city. "Reports from several of the outer wall guards say they've overheard talk of a 'demonstration' at today's ration handout. This is where you all come in," - he turned away from the window and faced his armored company - "You are to act as extra security when the rations are given out. If things turn violent, your main objective is to protect the rations. Defend yourselves if need be. Just..." Pausing, he met the eyes of each guard in the room, trying as best he could to keep his voice steady. “...just try not to take this too far. We don’t need blood on our hooves.”

General Haze placed his front hooves on the table. "For doing this, you will all receive an extra day's pay. I understand your concern, boys, but we’re running out of options. Are my orders understood?" No objection. "Very well. Grab what gear you need from the armory, set up the booth, and don’t do anything stupid. Dismissed."


An hour later, all of the guard ponies at the meeting stood just in front of the gate to the capitol; a mountain of grain bags, packages of dried fruits, canned vegetables, and containers of water behind them. Shortly, the signal would be given for the city residents to collect their share for the following week.

"Hey Arcane," Sunny whispered to the stallion standing next to him.

"Yes?"

"You don't think things will turn ugly, do you? I'd rather take our rations home without another pony's blood on my hooves. I-I mean, just thinking about it makes me so damn nervous. I-"

"Sunny, breathe."

Taking a deep breath, Sunny tried to compose himself. "Sorry. I'm just..."

"Scared?" Arcane asked with a slight chuckle. "Well hey, I don't blame you." He put a hoof on Sunny's shoulder. "To be honest, I'm a little scared, too."

"Funny. After all of your service in the war, I thought you weren’t scared of anything."

Arcane smirked at his younger, shorter comrade. "I'm not as hard as you and your brother may think, kid." He shoved Sunny's helmet playfully. Both struggled desperately to hold back laughter, but all humor ceased when the whistle sounded.

A banshee cry of a siren, shrill and penetrating, pierced the calm of the city. As the echoes dissipated, ponies slowly emerged from their excuses of abodes; some from ruined buildings, some from shacks, and some from the street itself. One by one, the citizens of Fillydelphia approached the steel chain gate, forming a crude line in front of the opening where a guard pony stood behind a booth. All looked on as a sack of the mountain's contents was given to the guard at the booth.

"Here you go, ma'am," he said with masquerade of a smile, handing the mare in the front the sack.

"Um, excuse me sir, but I think that there's been a mistake. There should be more in here." Looking into her bag, she found only a fraction of what she expected. "This... This has to be some kind of sick j-joke."

The guard's eyes remained solid, cold and devoid of feeling. The mare's, on the other hand, pleaded, begged against all rationality that what she perceived was not the truth. No response. It didn't take long for her anguish and her forlorn demeanor to shift to rage. "Damn you..." she hissed. "Damn you all! You think we can get by on scraps?! I have three foals waiting at home who haven't eaten for two days, and you're telling me that rations have been cut again?!" She slammed her hoof on the booth counter, her muzzle inches from the guard's. "You’re all a bunch of low-life crooks, the lot of ya! How can you live with yourselves knowing that you’re killing us like this?"

"Are you quite finished, ma'am? If so, I would suggest you move along before you are made to," the guard said, his tone carrying a slight undertone of irritation. No words were spoken; none were needed. The mare remained where she stood just as the guard stood in his respective position. Slowly, the guard's horn lit up. "Ma'am, I highly encourage you to simply move along. I will not hesitate to-"

"If you’re going to kill me, you may as well do it now. It’ll save me the trouble of starving to death. While you’re at it, kill everypony here!” She leaned in further towards the stallion. "At least then we won’t have to live in a world with scum like you."

Suddenly, the guard shoved the mare to the ground, climbing through the booth opening to loom over her, horn lit. "Why must I repeat myself to you?" he asked, seething. "Move. Along."

From the line, a stallion jumped onto the guard, ripping off his helmet and slamming it on his head. The guard fell limp on the ground, unconscious. Regaining her footing, the mare grabbed the helmet and brought it down on the guard's skull. Over and over again she struck, raining down her hatred. The blood of the guard now covered a good portion of his armor while stray flecks dotted the coat and face of his killer. By this time, a few ponies in line fled back to their homes, screaming and running for their lives. Many, however, remained, glaring through the fence at the guards surrounding the mountain of food.

To Sunny, time no longer held meaning. Looking to his comrade, dead, his blood trickling in a crimson river through the bottom of the fence, everything froze. The images of Baltimare from that day surged back to him from the very depths of his mind; the fallen gazing up to him through eyes cloudy and still. His breath caught in his throat, nothing but the vision of the Hell he had become so familiar with before him. No longer did his eyes see the citizens of Fillydelphia killing him with their glares, but through the eyes of his younger self saw the dead strewn about the streets of his former home. Whether it be the dead of the past or the killers of the present, he knew it mattered little; it would still turn out the same way: ponies would die, be buried and forgotten by both time and those who cherished them. The world wouldn't stop at demise - quite the contrary. It would be propelled forward, more to take the place of those lost.

"Sunny!"

Snapping from his stupor, the first thought to come to him was that he had forgotten to breathe. Looking to his side, he saw Arcane. Sunny cleared his throat before speaking, hoping that he could pretend all was relatively well. "Y-yes?"

Arcane motioned to the barricade, the ponies on the other side attempting to push it over. He took a deep breath. "Come on, Sunny. I'm afraid now isn't the time for daydreaming. They're going to break in and we have a job to do." Stepping forward, he raised his horn, an amber glow appearing and creating a curved, transparent barrier twice his width before him, the top just over his head and the bottom nearly touching his front hooves. "Unicorns to the front! Shields up!"

In no time at all, the unicorns in armor - including Sunny - stood with Arcane and cast similar barriers in front of them. With all of the shields next to each other, a sort of wall was formed, a gentle hum filling the air.

"Pegasi and Earth ponies, be ready to fight back any that get past!"

Crash! The fence broke and fell to the ground, releasing its captives upon the guards. One by one, the ponies collided with the shields, but to no avail. With each impact, the unicorns strained harder to keep their fields up. Frenzied grunts and screams of rage ripped through the air.

Sunny barely kept his shield active. A muscular earth pony repeatedly slammed himself into the field, his eyes wide in a fiery rage. He could barely hear his aggressor’s obscenities over the cries of the other rioters.

Suddenly, a few ponies away, one of the shields cracked, shattering into thousands of luminescent shards. With this single opening, the townsponies barreled through, knocking down more unicorns in their wake, creating more gaps in the magical wall.

Sunny panicked. In his moment of hesitation, his shield dropped. The next sensation he felt was being driven to the ground and a hoof connecting with his face. His eyes looking to the side, he saw a splatter of his own blood not far from his mouth.

...why?

Slowly turning his vision upward, Sunny saw the earth pony raise his hoof once more. He couldn’t tell what the pony said, but he could make out the words “my wife.”

Before another punch could be delivered, a blast of magic struck the earth pony in the head, sending him flying off of Sunny. For a moment, he didn’t move, relishing the serenity his brain created for him in a pain-stricken stupor.

“Sunny!”

Turning his head to the right, he saw Arcane, flecks of blood on his breastplate and face. “Get up, Sunny! C’mon!”

The events transpiring hit Sunny like the punch to his face not a minute before. He scrambled to his hooves and looked desperately to his comrade. “Arcane! I-” A loud whooping from one of the rioters interrupted him. Then, to his horror, dozens more ponies emerged from the buildings beyond the fence - and following them were dozens more.

This isn’t a demonstration, Sunny thought. It’s a full-scale revolution!

“Hey!” Arcane grabbed Sunny’s face and directed it to his. “I need you to listen to me. What I’m going to tell you goes against orders, but I need you to trust me, okay?”

Sunny nodded.

“Okay, go and-” A stray bolt of magic zipped past, causing both ponies to duck. “Go and get Maverick. Take what rations you can, and meet me by the city limits in fifteen minutes. If I’m not there, leave without me. Understood?”

Through all of the noise and chaos around them, Sunny nodded slowly, not bothering to question his mentor.

“Good.” Arcane stood up, hoisting Sunny to stand once more. “You know what to do.” No sooner had he said this than a townspony brandishing a kitchen knife charged him. Arcane turned around and bucked him square in the jaw before he was able to deliver a slash.

Sunny took this as his cue. He darted to the left, only the fence separating him from the path downtown. I sure hope this spell works, he thought. Growing closer to the fence, he lit up his horn, a fiery orange glow spreading from his head, to his chest, to his legs - all around him. Just before he would have collided face-first into steel, he disappeared. Only a split second after he vanished, he reappeared, this time on the opposite side of the fence. I can’t believe that worked! he thought.

His legs wobbled a little, the amount of magic used in such a short time leaving him lightheaded. No wonder I don’t use that often. Putting one hoof in front of the other, he worked himself from a walk to a gallop, racing down the path into downtown Fillydelphia.

Over his years in the city, Sunny learned the layout inside and out. “Okay, so if I go down there, through the next one, and in that direction,” he said between heavy breaths, “that should take me to-”

An explosion on the path in front of him stopped him dead in his tracks. A cloud of dust rose up around Sunny, lightly coating his coat and armor with dirt. When the dust mostly settled, he looked around frantically, trying to regain his bearings.

“Hey, that one’s all alone! Get him!”

Sunny’s head jerked to his left. A light-blue unicorn stared back at him from a second-story window, his horn charging up.

Kicking his legs into high gear, Sunny ran as fast as he could. Taking a quick look behind him, he saw a green pegasus flying dangerously close. The blue unicorn’s magic hit the ground mere inches from his front hooves, sending him tumbling to the road. Before he had a chance to try and regain his footing, the pegasus was on him.

“You don’t know how long I’ve wanted to do this!” she shouted, bringing up a hoof to strike.

As the pegasi’s hoof came in, Sunny blocked it with his own. He quickly grabbed her head and slammed it into his with a loud grunt, his helmet protecting him from most of the damage.

The pegasus fell back, her hooves grasping her head in agony. “Ah! Dammit!” she hissed, taking sharp breaths through clenched teeth. A trickle of blood ran down her face.

Scrambling to his hooves, Sunny took off, running faster than he recalled ever running before. In a few seconds, he’d have a choice: take the main route home or take a shortcut through the alleys.

Taking a sharp left, he darted down a dimly lit alley, hopping over emaciated townsponies as he went. Most simply looked at him with eyes soon to fade, though some did try in vain to reach out and grab him, to finally get in a jab at their oppressors.

At the end of the alley, Sunny had to stop; his throat burned and his chest felt as though it would collapse. He stood there, gasping for air, his mind racing on what to do next. Looking to his right, his blood ran cold. There, heading in the direction of the capitol, were another group of townsponies, armed and ready for a fight - one of which turned to face his direction.

“Hey, it’s one of them!”

Sunny darted down the next alley on the other side of the road, hearing the angry shouts of the ponies that sounded like they abandoned their original plan and were now chasing him. Try as he might to run as quietly as possible, his hooves clopping against stone did little to muffle his retreat.

Time became a blur to Sunny; his only impulse now to run, to escape danger. He galloped down alleyway after alleyway, not caring whether it brought him closer to Maverick as long as it got him away from the angry horde that would surely pick him apart. The farther he ran, the less he thought he could hear them, but he dared not stop.

A slight misstep in his run brought him to the ground, sliding a short distance on his back. It was only then that he realized how much his chest, throat, and lungs hurt. He sat there for a minute or two, letting his breathing return to a less intense pace and allowing his eyes to close in forced-relaxation. Hugging himself tightly, he tried his best to not think of the possible danger that he faced or reality, itself. Instead, he pictured an open field, the grass lush and crisp beneath his hooves. Daisies and daffodils speckled across the sea of green. The bright sun above warmed his face in a way he hadn’t felt in years. A clear sky made host to many birds, their songs of cheer bringing a smile to has face. Standing in front of him, however, was the most magnificent sight of them all: her. She stood before him, her immense wings stretched out, her innocent smile melting away any fear or doubt in his mind. Slowly, she draped her wings around him, the feathers brushing lightly, almost gracefully against his coat. She sighed happily, pulling him into a firm yet comfortable embrace.

The world no longer mattered to Sunny; the only desire in his mind was for the mare to never let him go, to never return him to whatever reality may have in store. He felt himself drifting, the light of the sun slowly dimming and the air growing a faint chill.

A light clopping of hooves not far behind him snapped his eyes wide open. When he tried to get up, his legs didn’t cooperate enough to allow him to stand. Panicking, he drug himself around the corner into an open doorway, his back resting against the wall. Closing his eyes, he tried to focus in on the sounds growing nearer, his ears twitching about. Though his mind raced with several hundred ways in which the townsponies would ultimately kill him, he could make out the sound of a single pony running his direction.

“I think it’s this way! Don’t fall behind!”

A mare’s voice - a voice close to what the pegasus sounded like. Had she finally come to kill him? Would she torture him?

Suddenly another pair of hoofsteps, this one lighter than the first. Oh gods, the pegasus got backup?! I’m done for! I’m going to die here! Maverick won’t make it here alone!

When he opened his eyes, he no longer heard the closing hoofsteps of Fillydelphians or smelled the dank air of the alleys. Instead, an all-too familiar scene sat before him: he and his brother - children once more - cowering before one of the Baltimare guards, his eyes glazed over, his mouth and chin stained with drink, and flecks of blood coating his armor.

“The hell are you doing not in the fight? Don't you know the Royalists are here?” he slurred, taking step after step after clumsy step closer to the brothers. He eyed Sunny, noting the yellow color of his coat. "Hey, wait... you're yellow, they're yellow... you're one of them!"

Sunny stepped forward, his horn sparking. “Don’t worry Maverick, I’ll take care of this.” Though he tried to appear as intimidating as possible, staring down a pony more than twice his size and age didn’t help. Cold shocks ran up and down his spine, his legs visibly trembling.

“You Royalists ain't gonna leave here alive,” said the stallion, coming even closer, wading his way through the bodies strewn about the ground, “them princesses can't have this city!”

Charging up his horn, Sunny shot a fiery bolt at the guard, but his shot went just past his head. “We're not Royalists! We've lived here our whole lives, just let us go!”

The guard sighed. “Yeah right.” He hiccuped, then continued. "No more lies!" He charged the two, nostrils flared with fury.

Sunny charged and shot again, but the guard shrugged off the blow. Before he could get another blast ready, his attacker was on him, unsheathing his sword from his foreleg and slashing at him. His forehead erupted in a world of pain and a torrent of red. He screamed, falling to the ground and clasping his hooves to his wound.

“Too easy,” chuckled the guard. He took a step closer to Sunny, who still writhed on the bloody ground. “Now to finish the job.”

Maverick stood between the two, staring daggers at the older earth pony. “Not if I have anything to say about it!” He ran at the guard and landed a swift punch to his face. Before the guard could recover, he turned around and delivered a solid buck to his upper chest, the sound of his hooves slamming against iron reverberating for several seconds.

“Think you're tough, huh?!” He grabbed Maverick and drove him into the ground with all of his might. He chuckled some at the sound of his victim’s cry. “Not so tough without the Royal Whores to help ya, huh?”

Picking up Maverick by the head, the guard grunted with every thud against the cobblestone road. Over and over again he drove the other other pony into the ground, creating a sickening rhythm.

Sunny, crying and breathing sharply, tried his best to stand up. “Stop it…” he wheezed.

Maverick no longer tried to break free from his attacker. Though his body continued to jerk with every impact, he ceased his cries for mercy; his eyes remained closed despite the relentless beating.

“Stop it…”

Sunny managed to stand back up.

“Stop...it…”

Eyes wide with rage, blood still cascading down his face, and teeth gritted, he roared and charged at the guard. “Get off my brother you monster!”

The guard stopped and looked to Sunny just in time to see his hoof connect with his face. He fell back, swearing and grabbing his nose.

Sunny got on top of him, punching him relentlessly, his rage propelling his hooves faster and harder than he thought possible. “Leave. My. Brother. Alone!” he shouted, each word accented by another punch. He paid no attention to the guard’s pleas for him to stop or the blood coating his hooves; he just kept hitting the threat to his brother - his responsibility.

When Sunny lost all strength to keep punching, he pressed his hooves against the ground, keeping him from falling onto the guard in exhaustion. He closed his eyes, heavy, ragged breaths escaping him.

He wasn’t sure how long he was in that position - supporting his weight on his front legs and recovering, but when he opened his eyes, the image before him appeared unclear, almost blurred. Strangely, he no longer felt the pain on his forehead or feel the blood running down his face. However, he did feel a warm liquid on his hooves.

When his eyes finally adjusted, all thoughts and functions in him stopped. Under him lay the body of a mare; she looked nothing like the pegasus from before. Her eyes stared up at him, her shocked and horrified expression frozen on her battered, bloody face.

Sunny could barely breathe. Slowly, begrudgingly, he lifted his hooves, wanting the nightmare in front of him to vanish and simply be his eyes playing tricks. All doubt cleared from his mind when he beheld his hooves, blood coating both, the mare’s life still dripping from them. His whole body trembled, thoughts coming back to him and racing through his mind faster than he could comprehend. His vision blurred and the world spun around him. Though he wanted with every fiber inside him to scream, no sound came.

“Momma?”

Sunny slowly, painfully turned to face the voice. Not far from him stood a colt no older than he had been when he lived in Baltimare, his expression confused and worried. When the colt took a step closer, Sunny flinched. “S-stay back! Don’t come any closer!” Please don’t…

“What’s wrong with Momma, sir?”

With all of his being, Sunny tired not to scream. It would be so easy; all he had to do was run away. Turn and run.

Why am I not doing that?

“S-she, um, I-” he brushed his hoof over her eyes, closing them “-she’s sleeping, son. Just… just give her some time.” He got up, taking careful steps away from the mare’s body. “Let her rest.”

The colt held the same look of confusion, as if he didn’t believe Sunny’s story. “Are you sure she’s sleeping?”

A lump in Sunny’s throat swelled to dangerous proportions. Several tears rolled down his cheeks. Why wouldn’t the colt stop looking at him? “I... I’m sure.”

Without saying anything more, Sunny turned tail and ran, ran as fast and hard as he thought necessary to escape what he’d just done. The blood on his hooves splattered on the road, painting a guilty path behind him. Glancing back, he saw the colt next to his mother, giving her a few light shakes.

Sunny no longer cared about the tremendous pain in his hooves and lungs; all thoughts shifted to making sure Maverick was okay and trying to forget what he saw. At this point, he knew he was relatively close to the apartment, but the images of what he’d seen remained burned in his mind. Everywhere he looked, he saw her staring at him, her eyes clouded yet still possessing a chilling aura. He couldn’t have done something like that to an innocent pony, could he?


Not long later, Sunny reached the door to the apartment. He hammered on the door, trying as best he could to steady his breathing. “Maverick! It’s Sunny, open up!”

In no time at all, the lock to the door clicked, and a concerned looking Maverick opened it. “Sunny! Are you okay? I heard angry voices and-”

Sunny stepped inside, immediately going to the bedroom. “Pack your things, brother. We’re leaving.”

“Leaving? W-where are we going?”

Sunny paused. “I… don’t know yet, but Arcane will come with us. Grab what rations and supplies you can and meet me by the-”

A loud explosion from outside stopped him mid-sentence. “Hang on.” He unframed the picture of the pegasus mare, tucked the photo into his chestplate, and headed to the front door. “I’m going to go check on that. Don’t go anywhere until I get back and keep the door locked. Got it?”

“Got it!”

Stepping out and looking in the direction of the capitol, Sunny watched as streams of magic from surrounding buildings bombarded the courtyard. Along with the more major blasts, thin, concentrated bolts of magic rained down on the area where his comrades still fought.

Arcane!

As he dashed towards his fellow guards, he saw several armored pegasai take flight and charge the nests. Some made it to the buildings, others were picked off as they flew. He saw magic being shot from the battlefield, as well, guard unicorns trying their best to eliminate the snipers. Entering the courtyard, his breath caught in his throat momentarily. Bodies lay strewn about the ground; a few belonged to guards, but most to townsponies. Though the guards remained greatly outnumbered even then, he could see the rebels fought a losing battle. Trying to avoid eye contact with the corpses and the bolts of magic still hitting the ground around him, he spotted Arcane, who had emerged victorious from a skirmish with an earth pony.

“Arcane!” Sunny shouted, running towards him.

Arcane turned to face Sunny, his face covered in dust and blood, his armor battered, and his eyes laden with exhaustion. “Sunny! What are you doing here? I thought I told you to meet me at the-” A shot of magic hit him in the side, sending him to the ground.

Sunny’s heart stopped. In the split second it took for his mentor to hit the ground, he had already rushed to his side. Gritting his teeth, he took Arcane by the shoulders and dragged him behind the crates of rations not far away. “Arcane, hey! Are you okay? Talk to me!” he shouted, trying to make himself heard over the battle raging around them.

Groaning, Arcane placed a hoof where the magic struck him. “Ugh, that’s gonna hurt for a while.”

Several bolts of magic ripped through the crates above, a dusting of grain along with bits of fruit and vegetables falling onto the two ponies. A few sparks from the magic ignited the contents of the crates, allowing a small fire to start.

Sunny shook off what he could of the food, though some still clung to his armor and coat. “You going to be okay, Arcane?”

The old stallion grumbled, sitting up and rubbing his side. “Yeah, don’t worry about me. I’ll pull through.” More crates met the fate of the others, leaving few of them to hide behind. “Sunny, we need to take out those snipers.” He turned to face Sunny and put a hoof on his shoulder. “I’m going to need your help, though.”

Looking to the battle raging around them, to Arcane, then to the bodies strew about the bloodied ground, Sunny hesitated. He thought of the mare, bleeding and lifeless, her eyes unblinking and glazed over. “I… I ca-”

“Sunny, listen to me and listen good!” Arcane yelled, forcing Sunny to meet his eyes. “I know you’re scared, but I need you right now. Do you trust me?”

Slowly, Sunny nodded, a held breath escaping him. “I trust you.”

Arcane nodded, smirking. “Good. Now, I’m going to draw their attention, you charge up a spell and hit them with everything you’ve got.” His smirk disappeared, replaced by a somber frown. “Sunny, no matter what happens to me, you can’t stop the spell - keep charging it no matter what. Understand?”

“Understood, sir!”

Without another word, Arcane dashed out from behind the crates, firing a hail of magic at the nest. When he knew he’d attracted their attention, he casted the shield he’d used before, straining to block the incoming fire.

Concentrating, Sunny lit up his horn, wisps of energy accumulating at the tip. The ball expanded ever so slowly, the growing flames licking at his horn and mane. As the spell formed, he tried his best to block out the world. Noise dissipated, time slowed, and all that remained was focus. Though a peaceful silence surrounded him, a nagging fear still persisted: now that Arcane was injured, could he really hold them off?

Sunny’s eyes opened slowly. As he turned to look at Arcane, he witnessed the last shot that broke through his shield. The sight of his mentor on the ground, unprotected, trying his best to dodge the shots that pelted the space around him, caused his spell to waver. Out of the corner of his eye, Sunny saw a pegasus charging towards Arcane, a shovel in his hooves.

The spell broke, the energy from the ball surging back into Sunny as he darted to intercept the pegasus. Just as the pegasus was about to bring down the shovel, a hoof connected with his jaw; he tumbled across the ground before coming to a stop a short distance away, unconscious. Sunny put up a shield similar to Arcane’s in front of them. Looking back, he saw Arcane, breathing heavily, staring at him with an irritated expression.

“Sunny… why would you-”

Suddenly, the sniper nest erupted in a magical explosion, sending the ponies within flying. The force of the blast weakened the supports, collapsing the roof above and crushing any other ponies who may have been on the floor. Due to the age of the building, the force of the collapse brought the second floor along with the first, then another and another until the entire building lay in a smoldering pile. A cloud of pulverized brick and mortar billowed from the remains, creeping its way down the building to the courtyard.

Though a few skirmishes still persisted around the battlefield, it was clear the rebels had lost the day.

Turning to face the source of the magic, Sunny and Arcane saw General Haze, his gaze fixed on both of them. “And I thought I’d seen everything…” he growled.

Arcane slowly stood, grimacing at the pain in his bones. “Sir?”

In no time at all, Haze stood inches from Arcane, his face twisted in unbridled rage. “Don’t ‘sir’ me, Arcane! I’ve seen a lot of things in my time, but never have I seen such a careless display!” He pointed to the pile of ration crates, the flames still raging. “Not only do you hide - or in Pvt. Sunny’s case, run - from the battle, but then you use our rations as cover! Are you out of your mind?!”

Though Arcane tried as best he could to remain steadfast, Sunny could see the light trembling in his hooves.

“And is it true that you told your son to run from the battle?”

Sunny stepped forward to interject, but Arcane cut him off. “Yes, sir, I did.”

Silence. Haze continued to stare into Arcane’s eyes with an unwavering fury. “I have no place for cowards among my ranks,” he hissed. He ripped Arcane’s coat of arms from his chestplate and drove it into the ground under his hoof. “I don’t care what happened when we fought together in the war! For your carelessness” - he pointed back to the pile of burning rations - “and your crimes, you and your sons are no longer welcome here!”

“Haze, I-”

“Did. I. Stutter?!”

After a moment, Haze sighed a long, angry sigh and looked down, grimacing. “Two hours,” he muttered. “You have two hours to leave the city. If you and your sons are still here after that time, you will be punished to the fullest extent of my law.”

Arcane didn’t move. He stood there, trying his best to remain expressionless, though with every passing moment, it became clearer just how much Haze’s words tore at him. “But-”

“Go now!” Haze shouted. “Go… before I change my mind…” Sunny could have sworn he saw a tear line across the general’s muzzle.

As they turned to walk back to the apartment, Sunny noted that he had never seen Arcane cry until that moment. For such a proud pony, a pony who dedicated his life to the Royal Guard to be discharged in such a way, he couldn't imagine how much he was holding back. Behind them, the guards finished their work of piling up the bodies of dead Fillydelphians.

When they reached the apartment door, neither of them even needed to knock before Maverick opened up. Six saddlebags hung over his back and a smile adorned his muzzle. “We’re ready to go, guys!”

“Good. The sooner we leave, the better.” muttered Arcane.


“So… I guess this is goodbye?” asked Felix, looking the two brothers and former commanding officer in front of him over.

“I suppose it is,” replied Sunny, trying as best he could to keep a normal demeanor despite the days events.

Felix nodded. “All right. Well, since you’re, you know, leaving for good, I’m going to have to ask you and Arcane for your armor.”

With a sigh, Sunny removed his armor, first his helmet, then his chestpiece, making sure to put the photo of the pegasus in one of his saddlebags. He couldn’t say he missed the stuff; it may have provided a good deal of protection, but he found it too heavy for his liking. It made him feel confined, as if the more he wore it, the less he could move. Arcane followed suit.

“Oh and, uh, you didn’t get it from me, but here,” Felix took the coat of arms from Sunny’s chestplate and placed it in his hoof “I thought you might want to keep that.”

Sunny studied the emblem: his rank displayed with the Fleur de Lis and olive branches of the Royalists behind it. He clutched it to his chest tightly, trying his best to not break down then and there.

“Thank you… Felix.”

Nodding to his friend, Sunny put the emblem in his bag and walked with his brother and mentor out of the gate, flinching as the gate shut behind them.

In front of them lay a path away from the city, yellowing grass encompassing the route with a few dead trees providing little comfort. For miles, nothing stuck out in their vision; all that came after the road was more road. Through the thin clouds of magical residue in the sky, the sun remained eclipsed by the moon - the same state it had been in for the last three years.

“C’mon, you two. Let’s go.” said Arcane.

Sunny looked back to see faint wisps of black smoke coming from the city. What could possess a leader to not bury his citizens?

Levitating the photo of the pegasus from his bag, Sunny looked at it intently. Don’t worry, I won’t let anything happen to Maverick, again. I won’t let you down… mother.