• Published 26th Aug 2014
  • 10,569 Views, 364 Comments

To Judge A Book - LickleSoxy



Twilight discovers something about Discord that gives her a whole new perspective of him.

  • ...
16
 364
 10,569

Chapter 3

-o-

The sweet smell of lavender filled the warm air as Fluttershy waltzed merrily passed her window with a perky trot. Inhaling deeply in a desire to savour the wonderful aroma, she gave the flowers in question a quick glance. They were magnificently healthy, with lush petals and vibrant colours that would catch the eye of any pony, and it was all thanks to her hard work.

Fluttershy grinned. Tending to plants was not what she would call a job, just as caring for and feeding the many critters surrounding her land did not count as tedious labour. Every little thing that she saw fit to put sweat into provided her with endless beauty and gratitude; that was payment enough for her efforts.

Moving her attention away from the delightful sight, Fluttershy made her way towards the front door, before opening it with barely concealed excitement. As the heat of the day-time air caressed her cheeks and neck, a comforting breeze gently slipped over her body, extending to her limbs and hugging them in a caring embrace.

Luna's nights were always calm and gorgeous, but nothing could compare to the sun's light in Fluttershy's opinion. Flooding every surface with a bright sparkle of energy, the power of the star could never be rivalled.

Shutting the door to her cottage, Fluttershy let her gaze roam over the greenery that her property was blessed with. It was growing very nicely due to the warmer season. Her grin lowered into a content smile. Under normal circumstances, she would gladly stay close to home, admiring the views she recognised and cherished each day. Today, that was not possible, nor was it desired.

Two long weeks she had been waiting for this moment to arrive; now it was here, she was not going to dawdle around. Being late to her meet up with Discord was not an option.

Finding it hard to hold back on the squeal that wished to pass from her mouth, Fluttershy quickly extended her wings to their full width. The natural spread of the feathers allowed for the soft wind to pass over them, and she closed her eyes momentarily in response. A bird whistled nearby. Snapping her eyes back open instantly, Fluttershy turned to look at the sparrow that had made the noise. She replied with a cheerful call of her own.

When the bird chirped, she giggled. Then, refocusing her attention back to her wings, she used their strength to lift herself from the ground. Taking care not to soar too high in the air, she managed to keep her pace slow and steady, despite her increasing anticipation. She did not need to rush. Risking an injury just because she was eager to get to her destination was not worth it.

As she crossed the boundaries of her land, she failed to notice the blur of purple that ran underneath her, heading in the direction of her now empty cottage.

-o-

Magic was a truly wondrous thing. Providing the ponies of Equestria with various abilities - levitation, flight, teleportation, and more - it was one of the greatest gifts nature had bestowed upon the population. It was pure and raw, strong if required, and as delicate as it needed to be. Nothing that ponies had created by hoof could compare to how magnificently useful magic was. A pegasus could create a sonic rainboom with it; an alicorn could give a unicorn the power of flight.

The possibilities that magic offered were endless. There wasn't a single idea or invention in Equestrian history that had not used it as a tool in some manner.

Right now, Luna was using it to dry her coat. A blue, twinkling aura covered her entire form, from head to tail, pulsing in and out as it tugged droplets of water away from her body. The sensation did not cause pain. The pull of liquid created an odd tickle against her skin, but all it did was make her laugh.

If she were being honest, Luna admitted that she did not enjoy bathing. Regardless of whether that opinion was childish or not didn't change the truth behind the statement. She could not understand how any pony could take pleasure in soaking in lukewarm water. There was no dignity involved at all. How could anyone prefer being sopping wet, when they could be heated and dry instead?

"Princess Luna?"

The quiet, deep voice caught her attention. Glancing at the door with a disappointed frown, Luna dissolved the blue blanket until it faded from existence. Could he not have waited a minute before interrupting?

"You may enter," she announced, satisfied when her tone did not give away her true feelings. Making sure to mask her features into a calm, polished mask of politeness, Luna stood silently as one of the castle's guards entered the room. He didn't look too concerned; that helped to decrease her irritation. Being burdened with a threat to Equestria was not exactly on her agenda for the day.

He bowed his head in a rapid show of respect, smiling kindly. The expression suited him. His eyes were full of pride, and even the shine of his armour could not beat the intensity of their radiance. Was that a flush in his cheeks? Luna's eyebrows rose. Perhaps it was time she stopped allowing stallions access to her cleaning chamber?

"Princess Celestia and Princess Twilight Sparkle wish to hold a conference with you," he proclaimed, smile widening.

Ah, of course. That certainly explained his actions. Steel Heart was one of her own, personal guards, meaning he rarely got to be in the presence of her sister. Receiving a direct order from the princess of the sun was not common for stallions under Luna's command; it was always a treat for them when they did. Luna forced her amusement to remain hidden. It would not be fair to mock him for taking joy in what many ponies would give their right hooves for.

"Thank you, Steel Heart." Waiting for him to bow once again, she watched as he puffed out his chest dramatically, before spinning on the spot and galloping out the room without a bit of shame.

Chuckling at his antics, Luna quickly followed his example and proceeded to leave the chamber. She had not been aware that Twilight was visiting the castle, and she was curious as to what she and Celestia wished to discuss. A smile rose onto her lips. Perhaps her initial thought had been incorrect? Her earlier encounter with Discord had been a mere fluke, surely? The irritating moment had not been an indicator of what was to come.

Twilight's visit was proof that today was going to be enjoyable after all.

-o-

Discord was already in the field when she arrived. Body perched atop a large tree branch, he had his paw and claw folded behind his head as he stared up at the passing clouds. As she drew closer to him, Fluttershy could just make out a low humming sound that filled the air. The tune was unfamiliar, but the notes were long and pitched rather well; her ears were not going to curl under in complaint.

She let a smile grace her lips. Decreasing her speed, the pale mare flew up to her friend, landing on the occupied branch. Taking note to keep her wings spread out - the wood beneath her hooves had bounced, despite her best efforts - and planting her legs in a slightly wider stance than normal, Fluttershy grinned. Leaning forward brought her face into his line of vision.

Peering down at him with an expression that probably outmatched Pinkie's in terms of pure happiness, Fluttershy did not care when her cheeks filled with warmth.

His response did not disappoint.

With his mouth bursting open into a wide smile that could easily be a reflection of her own, Discord called her name in an obvious display of excitement. In one swift movement, he grabbed her legs and pulled her over his head, flipping her around so their bodies were parallel. Fluttershy was unable to contain the squeak of surprise that escaped as he pulled her down into a friendly embrace.

"It's good to see you," she said, the heat in her face becoming much hotter as she realised she was lying on top of him.

Her legs had wrapped themselves around his long body instinctively, yet she did not regret this. Hugs were one of her favourite physical signs of affection, and the dark fur she was currently squashed against was not uncomfortable. Truthfully, she was disappointed that she needed to move. Cuddling was great, but intruding on his personal space any longer than necessary was quite rude, even if he had initiated the contact.

A quiet laugh was all the encouragement he needed to release her. Allowing her wings to flap again, she flew off him. Not waiting to see if he would do the same, she glided to the welcoming cushion of grass that was settled on the ground. Almost instantly a strange noise pierced through the field, before Discord appeared by her side in his customary flash of white. She wondered whether that light was something he did on purpose, or if it was simply the world reacting against his unique magic.

"It really has been too long, hasn't it?" he suddenly asked. An answer was obviously not expected. "Why, I was beginning to forget just what you look like."

He snapped his claw, and Fluttershy's body jerked in response to the fierce chill that rushed through her spine. Darting her gaze down to look at her legs in a hot panic, she couldn't stop the gasp that forced its way up and out of her throat. Taking in the array of multi-coloured butterflies now covering her coat, she stared dumbly at them for a moment, before being brought out of her daze when she caught sight of other changes on her body.

Scrunching up her muzzle, displeasure poured through her as she glanced at her long tail. Flabbergasted did not even begin to describe what she felt upon seeing the sparkles emitting from each strand of hair. Pink was not the only colour present anymore. She frowned. Why in the world had he dyed her tail with various shades of green and purple?

"No, no, no. That isn't right." Discord's voice pulled her away from the scrutinisation of her own body, and she turned to him just as his talon snapped rapidly once more.

Letting out a tiny 'eep' when the sound met her ears, Fluttershy bit her lip. She didn't really want to know what he'd done to her this time, but there was no denying her curiosity. Halting the tremble in her legs, she chanced a look down. An odd wave of nausea hit her instantly. Swallowing back the disgusting taste of bile, Fluttershy's jaw clenched tightly as she stared at a body that she did not own. The light blue coat was awfully familiar, and she had a bizarre inkling that, if she were to check her flank, the cutie mark displayed there would be one that belonged to her rainbow haired friend.

"Ah, yes. Much better, wouldn't you agree?" Discord asked, tone playful. The light chuckle that sifted through the air made Fluttershy stiffen, especially when an inappropriate thought entered her mind. It seemed that Rainbow Dash's image was not the only thing she'd been gifted with, if the sudden urge to lash out at Discord with a kick was taken into consideration.

Holding back on the reprimand - either physical or verbal - that desperately wanted to escape, Fluttershy chose instead to glare at him in disapproval. Had they not gone through this enough times already? Yes, she understood that he was merely joking around, but changing a pony's body without their explicit consent was a line he should not be crossing. What if he began doing it to other ponies who weren't acquainted with his more childish take on humour? He needed to come to terms with the fact that some actions were off limits, unless permission to do them was granted.

It took no more than a second for his features to lower into a frown. The expression marred his face, and Fluttershy fought back the desire to bring a smile back to his lips. He tutted. Snapping his talon one final time, Fluttershy quickly allowed her expression to lift in relief when an inspection of her body indicated that it was back to normal.

"Has everypony been eating lemons? You're all so sour today." He grunted. "I'd have thought you, of all ponies, would appreciate a good joke. Especially one that doesn't harm anyone." Putting emphasis on the latter sentence, Discord folded his arms and stared down at Fluttershy with clear frustration.

"I do appreciate your jokes, but... um, it's not right to change me like that without asking first."

Discord's lips drew into a thin line. Regardless of this, he gave a tiny shrug. "I suppose I can see it your way."

Offering him a kind smile, Fluttershy resisted the temptation to hug him. He honestly was getting faster at taking her opinion into consideration. And, although it wasn't entirely direct, she knew his statement was meant to be taken as an apology.

"Thank you."

Raising an eyebrow, Discord just stood there watching her for a moment, until his expression softened and lit up with a grin. Fluttershy beamed. Joy was the emotion that suited him more than anything, and she always failed to hide her own happiness when he expressed it so willingly.

Suddenly, without warning, he flew up in the air and stretched out his limbs. Jumping back slightly, Fluttershy's rapid glee vanished, leaving her features twisted in a cringe. Trying hard to ignore the disturbing crack that floated to her ears as Discord popped each of his arms and legs with alarming force, Fluttershy felt a wash of fascination seep into her as his features relaxed in sheer bliss. She licked her lips, confused as to how that didn't cause him pain.

"Now, dear Fluttershy," he started, slumping back to the ground with a smirk, "I do hope you're fully prepared for our little trip. It's not some-"

Discord stopped mid-word. Furrowing her eyebrows, Fluttershy watched quietly as his eyes seemed to move and focus on something that was directly behind her. Whoever or whatever it was, it was not welcome. At least, not if Discord had any say in the matter, since he was practically glowering at the poor intruder. Turning away from the venomous gaze with trepidation, Fluttershy was immediately filled with relief when she was greeted by an out-of-breath dragon.

Spike's pants were short and not very loud, though it was obvious that he'd exerted a lot of energy to get here fast. Her mouth parted slightly in interest as she noticed the parchment he was clutching in one of his claws.

"Fluttershy," he said. "Finally. I've been looking everywhere for you."

She gasped; her hoof flew up to her mouth automatically as guilt rushed through her. "Oh, I'm sorry."

"You really should stop apologising for every little thing, Fluttershy," Discord commented. Glancing at him out the corner of her vision, she was not at all surprised to see that he was not paying attention to Spike. In fact, he was inspecting his paw in a rather nonchalant display of disinterest, as though Spike were the most boring thing he'd ever had the misfortune of encountering.

Fluttershy pursed her lips. "Yes, but it is my fault he had trouble finding me. I could have left a note." Her eyes widened as a horrible thought struck her. "What if somepony had needed me? I don't think-"

"If it were so incredibly important," Discord interrupted, voice like ice, "then I'm sure that darling Twilight would have come herself. I can't imagine Equestria is in some dire need of your assistance if she's sending her pet to come get you."

Opening her mouth to lecture Discord on just how stupidly offensive his description of Spike was - the dragon was a cherished member of their group, and deserved the utmost of respect - she didn't quite get the opportunity due to Spike speaking up.

"Actually, Twilight's in Canterlot."

That caught Discord's attention. Ears perking up slightly, his idle stance shifted, becoming tense and agitated as he finally moved his full focus onto Spike. Fluttershy, satisfied that he would now listen, returned her complete attention back to her purple friend. The question on her mind must have been apparent in her expression, because Spike didn't take long to elaborate.

"She was doing some research or whatever, like usual. You know the type. But what she wanted wasn't in any of her books." Spike shrugged. "She said she was going to Canterlot to see if she could use their library instead."

"Is that why you've come to see me?" Fluttershy asked, frowning. "Does she think I can help?"

Spike shook his head. "Oh, no. This is from Princess Celestia."

Bringing his claw up, Spike waggled the letter in front of her face. The parchment was curled in on itself, but there was no ribbon tied around it, meaning Spike had opened it. Perhaps he hadn't realised it was intended for her? But then, how would he have known, considering letters sent through him were usually for Twilight.

"She wants you and all the others to go to Canterlot right away. It's important."

"Wait, you're telling me Equestria is under threat?" Discord piped up, the pitch of his voice indicating his incredulity.

Fluttershy swallowed. Forcing her legs to remain still - why did they insist on shaking right now? - and keeping her features as calm as possible, she tried to come up with a reasonable excuse as to why Celestia would want all six Element bearers in Canterlot. An attack on Equestria was the most likely reason, though it was also the least wanted. Surely there was another explanation? Spike didn't appear worried... Did he? He'd be more panicked if there had been an urgency in the tone of the letter, wouldn't he? This wasn't an emergency.

"I don't think so." Spike sounded uncertain as he voiced the answer that Fluttershy had been hoping for. Should she take that as a good sign?

Biting her lip, she glanced at the comfy grass beneath her hooves. The green was vivid and bright, but it did nothing to lift her spirits. Why did the princess have to call for her now? The timing was incorrect. Today was supposed to be spent with her good friend; journeying to Canterlot would ruin that.

She sighed. It wasn't as if she actually had a choice.

"I'll get the girls."

She was not happy, but saying no to Princess Celestia's invitation - could it be called that, when she couldn't decline? - was not an option. Letting out another, long sigh, she turned to Discord and offered him an apologetic smile. His lack of verbal input spoke volumes as to what he thought about the situation.

"Maybe you could come with me?" she suggested, hope seeping into every fibre of her being. "I'm sure-"

"No, thank you." The words were curt and loud; Fluttershy almost flinched back at how sharp they were. "I don't plan on travelling any more today. Although I'm sure they'd love to have me accompany you, I don't want to waste my time with Celestia. I've had my fair share of dealing with dreary princesses today."

He was disappointed. Despite the attempt to hide it behind sarcasm, it was ridiculously obvious that he was upset at the fact that their plans had been stomped all over.

Allowing her smile to lift into a proper grin, Fluttershy braced herself, then flew into the air. Ignoring his look of surprise, she quickly closed the gap between them and wrapped her legs around his warm fur. She felt his body deflate as a sigh passed through his mouth, but not even a moment went by before his arms curled around her, hugging her back without hesitation.

Breathing deeply, holding on slightly longer than was necessary, she felt a flush fill her cheeks as some of his hairs tickled her nose. After a few more seconds, she pulled back and grinned up at him enthusiastically.

"Maybe we can go tomorrow?" she asked, not bothering to cover up the tiny plead in her voice.

His expression was not a cheerful one, but he nodded regardless. "I can make us some sandwiches for the trip."

Releasing him completely, Fluttershy flew back a few metres. Her eyes were filled with clear gratitude. Waiting for the inevitable goodbye wave, she raised a hoof in response when the gesture came. Then, giving Spike a quick smile, she spun around and began heading in the direction of Rarity's boutique.

She could only pray that Celestia's request for her and her friends' presence was not due to something that troubling. Despite Spike being rather unconcerned, she still had a bad feeling in the pit of her stomach that wouldn't go away.

Something about this entire situation did not seem right.

-o-