• Published 24th Aug 2014
  • 6,622 Views, 57 Comments

Lightweight - FictionFreek



It's Claire's twenty-first birthday, a day she's been waiting for all her life. On this day she will finally be able to drink her very first mug of hard apple cider.

  • ...
8
 57
 6,622

Chapter 3

In the total darkness of her room, Claire laid motionless in her bed. Her tongue hanging out of her mouth as she drooled on her pillow. She continued to sleep in this manor for several minutes, until she heard the sound of something dropping, probably something outside. With a snort Claire’s tongue returned to its cave, and she let out a small groan. Turing in her bed Claire wiped her claw on to her cheek, feeling it covered in her saliva.

“Ew…” she said as she reached for her blanket to dry it off. After tossing the cover to the side Claire sat herself up. As soon as she was up right she felt a rush of pain through her head and instantly laid back down. “Ow…” she groaned as she massaged her temples, but try as she might it didn’t seem as though the pain would be going away any time soon.

“What time is it?” she asked as she cracked open one of her eyes.

“A little after three.”

“Gha!” Claire wasn’t expecting to hear an answer, so when she heard the other voice she quickly rolled away from it and out of bed. Hitting the floor didn’t really help her headache, but she was out of bed now. Slowly-not that she had a choice in the matter- Claire picked herself up off the floor and looked over her bed. Standing on the other side with an apologetic smile, was Illusion.

Letting her heart settle Claire laid her head on her bed “You nearly gave me a heart attack…” she said with a sigh. “What are you doing in here anyway?” she asked him.

“Thought I’d check on you, see how you were holding up.” Said Illusion as he made his way around the bed.

“At three in the morning?” questioned Claire. Illusion paused for a second as he stared back at Claire.

“Afternoon.”

“What?” asked Claire as she raised her head again to look at him.

“It’s three in the afternoon, you’ve slept for most of the day.” Claire continued to stare at Illusion, a look of disbelief on her face.

“You’re kidding me.” She said.

“Nope.” Raising his paw, Illusion pointed towards the far window in Claire’s room. Claire followed to where he was pointing. She saw that the curtains were closed, but she also saw something shining around it, sunlight.

“I can’t believe it…” she said in total awe as to how long she had been asleep. A moment later the curtain opened slightly to let some of the light in. The moment it hit her eyes Claire turned her head away in pain.

“Ah! Okay I believe it,” said Claire as she buried her head into Illusions chest “Close it, close it!” she hissed. Illusion was quick to oblige and pulled the curtains closed again and casting away the sunlight. Once Clair was sure that it was safe again she removed her head from Illusions chest.

“Thank you…” she said, she then attempted to stand only to find that she couldn’t quite find her balance.

“I got you.” Said Illusion as he offered his shoulder for Claire to balance on. As she leaned on his shoulder, Illusion helped Claire towards the bathroom. After he was sure that she could maintain her balance he walked outside and waited.

“So this is what a hangover feels like…” she said from inside the bathroom. Illusion couldn’t help but let out a chuckle.

“Yeah, they can be pretty bad.” Said Illusion “And it’s not really something you can get used to either.” He added.

“Don’t think I’d want to.” Said Claire as she opened the door again, using the frame to keep herself balance. “How much did I drink last night anyway?” she asked. Illusion looked away for a moment, his muzzled scrunched.

“Well…how should I put this?” He said he tapped his hoof and paw together. Claire arched a brow at Illusion’s clear hesitation to tell her.

“Please tell me I didn’t over do it.” She pleaded.

“Well, yes and no.” said Illusion which only confused Claire. “You had half a mug.” He said finally.

“You’re kidding me.” Said Claire as her jaw went slack, Illusion only offered a slight shake of the head. “Guess I’m not much of a heavy drinker…” she said as she made her way towards the bed. “At least I didn’t make a total fool of myself.” She said as she sat down next to Illusion. When she looked up as him she saw that he was giving the same face again, opening her eyes wide from the implications, she asked:

“Dear Celestia, what did I do?”

“Well, let’s see…” Illusion started from the moment they were first given their mugs of cider. He filled in any and all blanks in Claire’s memory of what happened after that. Everything she said and everything she did, the biggest challenge was not to laugh as he described it. By the time Illusion reached the end of the story, Claire had hid her head under a pillow in embarrassment.

“And after I got most of the chunks off I carried you home.” He finished. Claire squirming under her pillow, hiding her bright red face. “Best part, I ran into that same guard this morning. Poor guy couldn’t look me in the eye.” He said with a small chuckle.

“That’s comforting.” Claire said sarcastically. “So does my mom know about all of this?” she asked after finally removing her head from under her pillow.

“Not the details, but she already guessed that go like you thought it would.” He told her.

“That’s an understatement.” She deadpanned “Well, I guess it could have been worse.” Thankfully she could feel the headache starting to subside, at least enough where she didn’t feel dizzy anymore.

“So, want to eat something?” asked Illusion as he hopped off of the bed. Claire was about to answer, but her stomach beat her to the punch, letting out a loud growl. She chuckled slightly as she blushed.

“I can eat.”


Downstairs in the living room, both Rarity and Sweetie Belle saw down on the sofa. Sweetie Belle passing the time by singing a lovely melody while Rarity seemed to be sewing something into a piece of fabric. “What are you making there anyway?” asked Sweetie Belle when her curiosity finally peeked.

“Just a little something for the front door.” She said, though there a small sparkle in her eye when she said it. Sweetie Belle arched a brow at this, she’d seen that sparkle before, and always resulted with things not ending well for somepony. “And done!” she said with a smile, opening the fabric for Sweetie Belle to see.

“Oh that’s just cruel!” Sweetie Belle said with a chuckle.

“I try.” Said Rarity as she placed a hoof over her chest, joining Sweetie Belle in the laughter.

“Aunt Sweetie Belle?” Both Rarity and Sweetie Belle turned their heads towards the stairs, there stood Illusion and a clearly still recovering Claire.

“Morning birthday girl!” Sweetie Belle greeted only to receive a wince from Claire. “Oops, still a little hungover huh?” she said with an apologetic smile. Claire let out a small groan as she nodded in response.

“Don’t worry darling, I was prepared for that.” Said Rarity as she got up from the sofa. “Come with me.” She told Claire as she led her to the kitchen. Once there Rarity opened the door to the refrigerator and pulled out a glass. “Drink this, it should make you feel better.” She said as she levitated a small glass cup towards Claire. Claire inspected the glass with an arch of a brow, trying to identify the liquid inside.

“Chocolate milk?” she questioned.

“Sure…why not?” said Rarity, but that only increased Claire’s curiosity of the drink.

“Seriously what is it?” she asked, she tried to smell it but found that there was no sent to take in.

“Trust me sweetie, it’s better if you don’t know.” Said Rarity to which Sweetie Belle nodded in agreement. Claire grabbed hold of the drink but she was still hesitant to drink it, especially after what her aunt and mother had said.

“Come now Claire it’s only a small cup, one gulp and done.” Said Rarity. Claire was still a little hesitant to drink it, but her mother did say it would make her feel better. Closing her eyes she opened her mouth as wide as she could and took in the whole drink. Quickly after she swallowed the whole thing.

It wasn’t until the very moment when she felt it rush down her throat that she wished she could spit it back out. “Ack!” Claire said as she grabbed her throat and fell to the ground, shuffling around as thought she was in paint. As she did this the others simply watch the show.

“Oh yeah, she’s definitely your daughter.” Sweetie Belle said with a giggle.

“If memory serves, you downed an entire picture of lemonade to get the taste of your mouth.” Said Rarity as she shot her sister a smirk. Knowing full well that she had just lost, Sweetie Belle turned away and pouted. Satisfied with the victory Rarity walked forward towards her still overacting daughter.

“Come not darling, it not that bad.” She said.

“Not that bad!?” said Claire instantly standing up from the floor. “I’ve eaten grandmas cooking without so much as batting an eye, but that…I don’t even know how to describe it!” During her little rant Claire seemed to have forgotten one small key feature.

“Admittedly is may not be the best tasting drink, but it does do the trick, did it not?” asked Rarity.

“Huh?” Claire questioned for a moment. Only when she noticed that she was standing on her own hooved again did it finally hit her. Her headache was gone, as well as the dizzy feeling she had when she stood. “Whoa.” She said after seeing just how well the drink did.

“Told you it would work,” said Rarity as she patter Claire on the shoulder “Though you probably won’t be able to taste anything for the next few hours.” She admitted. “Well, can’t expect something from nothing I suppose.” Claire get a little laugh, given how bad she was feeling when she first work up, her response was obvious.

“Sounds like a good trade to me.”


Hours passed and soon Illusion had gone home leaving Claire with her mother and aunt. Just as Rarity said, Claire had gone most of the time without being able to taste a thing. Though it was a little bit of a downer not to be able to taste the food she ate, she still found it preferable to hours of trying to overcome the hangover herself. From the window she watched as the sun began to set and the moon took its place.

Reaching to her side she pulled out a pretzel from its bag and put it in her mouth. She expected it to be like the others, tasteless, however this time was different. However the very moment it made contact with her tongue did she notice something was different. She could feel the pretzel against her tongue, she could actually taste the salt.

“Finally!” said Claire as she gleefully ate the salty pretzel. After enjoying the sensation of having her sense of taste back for a few more seconds, Claire made her way downstairs. “Mom, I got my taste back!” Claire called out when she reached the bottom step. She spotter her and Sweetie Belle quickly, both in the living room reading from a magazine.

“Excellent!” said Rarity as she closed the magazine, tossing it to the side. “Sweetie go get the cheese and crackers, I’ll fetch the food stuff.” She said as she got up.

“On it.” Said Sweetie Belle before making her way towards the kitchen. Claire watched as her mother made her way out the back door and her aunt dug through the cabinets, a confused look on her face.

“What’s going on?” she asked.

“We were waiting for you to get your taste back before we did this.” Said Sweetie Belle as she removed the cheese from the fridge.

“Do what?”

“A little family bonding, darling.” Turning around Claire saw that her mother had returned, something held in her magical field. “Oh I have been saving this one for a long time now.” She said as she admired what she was holding.

“What’s that?” asked Claire.

“My own personal beverage of choice.” She said as she held it out.

“Wine?”

“Oh not just any wine,” said Rarity as she led Claire towards the kitchen “Imported wine, aged to perfection!” she added, almost drooling at the thought of the taste.

“Okay?” Claire said to her mother’s reaction “But why are you bring it out now?” she asked. After placing the bottle on the table, Rarity turned back towards Claire.

“You see darling, not long after you and Illusion left did I find some help in realizing something. When I agreed to allow him to take you, I was passing up a great opportunity. A way to spend some special quality time with my daughter.” She said as she pulled Claire in for a hug. “You are a growing mare, and the time will come when you will have your own life to live. Meaning that we won’t always have time to see one another.”

“And when that day comes, I’d like to be able to think of the good times we had together, all of us.” She said as Sweetie Belle joined in on the hug.

“I guess that does sound nice.” Claire admitted. “But how am I supposed to drink wine when I couldn’t even handle hard cider?” she asked.

“I know the perfect solution to that.” Opening one of the cabinets, Rarity levitate out two wine glasses and placed on in front of Sweetie Belle and herself. Afterword’s she opened another drawer and pulled out something much, much smaller.

“A shot glass?” said Claire as it was placed on the table in front of her.

“Think you can handle it?” Rarity joked as she poured some wine into the glass.

“I think I can manage.” Said Claire. Once Rarity and Sweetie Belles glasses were full, they both lifted it off the table with their magic.

“A toast,” said Rarity as she looked towards Claire “To my little lightweight.” She teased with a smile.

“Hilarious.” Said Claire with a sarcastic laugh. Despite this she couldn’t help by smile back, lifting the glass with her magic. Afterword’s all three mares brought their glassed together, and together that all took a sip.


Outside of their home, two large figures stood in front of the door. They were going to walk inside, but something caught their eye. Pinned to the door was framed piece of fabric with some words stitched on to it. Upon closer inspection they were surprised to see that it read:

“Girls night, no boys allowed.”

“Think she means it?” asked one of the two figured. A second later a large claw reached up to something tapped to the outside of the door. Opening it to reveal it to be a note in a familiar handwriting.

“Now we’re even.”

“Yup, she means it…”

Author's Note:

And done, I'll be honest this was fun to write, wasn't sure I could pull off a comedy fic when I started it.

Hope you all enjoyed Claire's drunken escapades, and hope you'll all still be around come the next time I submit a new fic.

Till then, FictionFreek out!

Comments ( 10 )

Very funny story. I think you did a great job with this story. I hope your future stories are as good as this story.

Spike,that's what you get for the I.O.U letter you gave her :rainbowlaugh:

A very good fic indeed really enjoyed every chapter of it. Also I found some errors:

When she looked up as him.

It should be 'at him'.

but she already guessed that go like you thought it would.

I'm guessing there was supposed to be an 'it didn't' between that and go.

picture of lemonade.

I think you were thinking of the word pitcher here.

she first work up.

Woke up.

asked one of the two figured.

Figures.

Very cool. Nice build up and very cute moments. It is the third chapter that earns the fave from me, however! :pinkiehappy:

Unrelated side note: That drink Claire took that subtracted hangover and sense of taste... based on something or standard alchemical plot device? :pinkiehappy:

Wonder what will T and Spike find inside...

I saw,

shuffling around as thought she was in paint.

Should be, Pain?

This was fun to read.

Rarity gets revenge at last.

6859195 That would have been infinitely funnier and I'm ashamed I hadn't thought of that.

Awesome! I love the fic, the allusion to the pony Shot Glass, and Rarity's revenge plan! :D :heart:

Login or register to comment