• Published 16th Apr 2012
  • 19,449 Views, 1,847 Comments

The Great Brony Migration - Laichonious the Grey



The bronies of Earth are forced to flee to Equestria in order to find peace.

  • ...
103
 1,847
 19,449

On the Ninth Day: Edge of the Everfree

Rain fell from a steel-grey sky. The lethargic clouds swirled above, moving on to the east; precisely on schedule. Rarity trotted along the road from Ponyville, her hooves splashing in the tiny puddles that gathered in the voids of the cobblestone. The soft platting of rain on her lavender and cream umbrella accompanied her hoofsteps. Not long ago, she never would have taken a step in the rain but maybe Applejack’s revelry in nature was starting to rub off on her. Still, she wasn’t about to walk in the rain completely exposed, there were limits to even Applejack’s ability to change things. Rarity always felt pensive in the rain and so found herself thinking about her destination.

Bronies were an odd bunch; little over a week of teaching her etiquette classes had passed and she was beginning to see how much work she had ahead of her. They were like little foals with a lifetime of dreams behind them. They were quick to learn and anxious to please but they said and did things that would often leave her pleading for respite between gales of laughter.

A smile graced her lips as she thought of them. It was strange and exhilarating to talk with them, like she had hundreds of adoring little siblings all competing for her attention. She shouldn’t let it go to her head but it was awfully difficult to not take advantage of their zeal. Ever since Sweetie Belle left to study in Canterlot, she had never realized how much she missed the antics of a little foal. Granted, Sweetie Belle had long since grown up, in a manner of speaking. What was it about these bronies that made her think of them as little siblings?

Did the camp have to be so far away? She crested the rise of a gentle rolling hill and the little tent city came into view. She was very impressed with their organization and cleanliness. What was even more impressive was their generosity, they were the most selfless ponies she had ever met. There was a lot for them to learn about being proper Equestrians but there was nothing she could teach them about her own Element of Harmony. It made her wonder, what happened that was so terrible they had to leave their world? She had tried to ask them, but they avoided the subject.

Unconsciously, her bottom lip thrust out in a pout. She should have brought her galoshes. The little streets had become rivers of mud. Her steps slowed as she surveyed the path ahead, hunting for a less muddy way to the colorful carnival pavilion that served as her classroom.

“Isn’t it crazy?” Her ears perked up. The distinct accent of a brony came to her from her left.

“Yeah,” another voice replied, “It’s warmer than normal rain, don’tcha think?” On the side of the road stood two bronies, a dark blue earth pony with a black mane and the other a taller, sky blue pegasus with a glossy silver mane. She recognised them from her class yesterday, what were their names... Well, I’m sure I’ll remember when I see their cutie marks. Her eyes slid over their flanks, like ice on glass. Wait a minute--what was that? She narrowed her eyes at them. What was I looking for? She gave a soft snort and hoofed the cobblestone. There was something I was looking for...what are they doing? The two colts hadn’t noticed her. They stood in the rain, faces pointed at the sky eyes closed. The earth pony had his mouth open of all things, like he was catching the rain.

“Yep,” he said after a swallow and a lick of his lips. “That’s not the way rain tastes on Earth. This water’s almost candy sweet compared to any I tasted in the city.” He opened his mouth again almost gleefully.

“Really?” His companion immediately opened his mouth to the sky. Rarity rolled her eyes and started trotting over to them.

“Boys.” She didn’t try to startle them, she should have known better. Their eyes snapped open and they tried to inhale through mouths of rainwater.

“Mi--kaak--Miss Rarity! Wha---coohoow!” the unfortunate pegasus spluttered. His earth pony friend had his head between his forelegs, coughing violently.

Rarity shook her head at them, a small quirk to her lips. “Boys, it doesn’t matter if the rain is warmer here than it is back home, you can still catch cold.” She pulled her rain hat from her saddle bag and placed it on her head as she levitated the umbrella over to them. “Really, let’s get you out of this--”

“Um, Miss Rarity? Are you okay?” The pegasus paused in helping his friend to his hooves.

Rarity stood stock still, staring off into nothing. Her mouth open mid word. The brony’s question sailed past her ears, unheard. Her horn vibrated. Not just a tingle but hard, fast oscillations sending a buzz through her skull and rustling her tail. As suddenly at it came, the vibration left. She had to take a few moments to straighten her eyes. “What in the hay was that?” She put a hoof to her forehead, heedless of the muddy rain water on it.

“Uh, I-I don’t know, Miss Rarity. What’s going on?” The pegasus seemed to be only one in their little trio gifted with gab.

“Whatever it was, it has passed.” Rarity scowled at her dirty hoof before sending it to the ground with a splash. She couldn’t think of any reason why she would have raised it to her head in the first place. “Come along, we need to get you two dry before you get sick.” She turned from the road and started down the hill, only wincing slightly at the squishy earth. Rarity glanced behind to make sure that they followed, of course they did, and decided to try and get them to talk some more.

“I saw you two yesterday in my class, right? I’m sorry, but I seem to have forgotten your names.” She batted her eyes at the silent earth pony, he smiled weakly but straightened his neck and even got a bit of swagger to his step.

“My name is Noteworthy, Miss Rarity.” There was a heavy note of deferment in his voice and posture, all of them did that around the native ponies. She worried about that. The bronies were so impressionable, so meek, that any pony who wanted to could easily get them to do anything she wished. Maybe that was why she thought of them like little siblings.

“I’m Silver Lining.” The pegasus trotted next to her, or perhaps heeled her was more accurate. He was of a height to her but managed to make himself seem smaller by stooping slightly. “I’ve really enjoyed your classes, Miss Rarity.” He looked up at her through some sodden locks of silver hair, the picture of adoration. Every other word was punctuated by a flex of his wings.

“Why thank you, darling.” She slowed to a stop and walked in front of him. “But remember what I said about posture, Silver Lining?”

His eyes widened slightly. “Um, that poor posture makes a poor pony?” He ventured a sheepish smile.

Rarity nodded to his answer. “Exactly.” She lifted his head with a hoof and moved to the side. “Keep your head high, it puts a graceful arch to your neck.” He was like a bolt of fine blue silk, eager for a shape to take, all she had to do was guide him to a form that would make him shine. “You have a handsome mane and a lovely color, it would be a shame if no pony ever saw you because you were hiding. Stand tall, be confident, the mares will love you for it.” She winked at him. Silver Lining held his head up even after she removed her hoof, beaming and blushing at the praise. Rarity smiled inwardly at the enormous control she had over him, with only a few words she could bolster his self esteem. It was indeed nice to be so adored.

She turned and started trotting toward her pavilion again. “What are you boys up to today?” she asked, trying to strike up a more normal conversation.

Noteworthy was the first to speak yet again. “I get to work with Applejack today!” He paused, a frown creeping onto his face. “I don’t know how much help I will be though. I’m kinda small, an’ well, I’m not too good with my hooves...”

“You’ll do fine, dear.” Rarity shot him another smile. “Applejack is quite the gem, she’s caring and kind and always happy to help a friend.”

Noteworthy shrugged and flicked his tail nervously, “Miss Rarity?” The soft, uncertain tone of his voice made her slow again, walking beside him and Silver Lining. “Do you think we’ll ever fit in? What does it really mean to belong someplace?”

The question took her by surprise, it sounded like a segway into the bronies’ mysterious past, a topic they avoided like the memory of a terrible disease. “What do you mean? It’s hard adjusting to a new place but I’m sure you’ll get into the swing of things soon enough.”

Noteworthy shook his head. “It’s not that, or, uh, I guess... it’s just that, back in our world, I felt like an outsider all the time.” His head slowly began to sink to the ground, the bounce leached out of his step. “I convinced myself that it would be better here, but, I still feel like I don’t belong. I... I feel like, a stranger.”

“You and me both, bro,” Silver Lining sighed. He tossed his head to flip some locks of drenched mane from his face. “I’ve been talking to some of the other pegasi, they feel it too. Some of the members of A wing and B wing, who’ve already got to train with Rainbow Dash, they all say flying is great but sometimes crazy stuff happens. Titus, one of our oldest flyers, just fell out of the sky yesterday, like his wings just stopped working. Luckily, Cloudhopper was there; snagged him out of the fall in the nick of time.” He tossed his head again, flinging agitated raindrops around. “I dunno, something’s up.”

Rarity cocked her head at the strange expression. “Are you saying there is something wrong with Equestria, or something wrong with you, the bronies?”

Silver lining pursed his lips. “I just don’t know. From what I’ve heard of Rainbow Dash’s lessons, things like that don’t happen.”

She frowned hard in thought. It sounded like there was something working against the bronies. Such a thing shouldn’t exist in Equestria, Harmony wouldn’t allow it. Sure there was hardship, and bad things happened to good ponies, but magic, going against them? She made a mental note to talk to Twilight about this.

The sudden flapping of ribbons in the slight breeze pulled her out of her reverie. The spacious carnival pavilion stood in the light rain, the myriad drops playing a soft staccato for the pastel audience underneath its protection. She had approached from a different direction than usual and so the bronies had not noticed her yet. A low, excited walla filled the space with anticipation. Rarity paused just without the threshold of the pavilion and turned to her impromptu companions. “I have a few towels stashed here, for the rain. You’re welcome to them.” She gestured to the pavilion with a hoof.

Silver Lining shrugged and gave a quick flap of his wings. “I wouldn’t want to trouble you, Miss Rarity. Besides, I’m heading to the staging ground. I’ll just get wet again.” His gaze drifted off to the staging grounds that lay near the edge of the forest a few hundred yards away.

“What about you, Noteworthy? Can I talk you into staying for a spell?”

He nodded vigorously. “I don’t have to be anywhere ‘til noon.”

“I’ll see you around Note. It was nice talking with you, Miss Rarity. Oh! Uh, don’t forget your umbrella.” Silver Lining nodded to the umbrella on his back.

Rarity levitated the umbrella off of him and set it down just inside of the pavilion. “Thank you, Silver Lining. I wish I could be more help, in answering your questions, but I just don’t know enough about these sorts of things.” She started to lift a muddy hoof to her chin but stopped herself just in time. “I’ll talk to Twilight about it and get back to you, is that okay?”

Both he and Noteworthy glanced at each other. “Uh, you don’t have to do that, Miss Rarity.” Noteworthy said, laying his ears back. “It’s not a big deal. I mean, I was just feeling homesick I guess.”

“Nonsense, darling. This is a big deal, if you feel that way. How many others feel the same?” She quirked an eyebrow at them, trying to drive home her point.

Noteworthy studied the ground, Silver Lining just shrugged again.

Rarity let loose a light sigh. “Don’t worry, I won’t tell anypony about it. I have to start my class now. I’ll see you next week?”

“You bet!” With a final nod to the earth pony and a quick bow to the white unicorn, the blue pegasus made his way to the staging grounds. Rarity and Noteworthy entered the pavilion. The assembled ponies hushed almost as one, a many toned chorus of “Good morning, Miss Rarity” greeting her as she took her place before them.

“Good morning everypony!” Her sing-song salutation produced a collective sigh from the bronies. She smiled and shook her head at them as she levitated some towels from a raised chest set in the corner of the tent. “Anypony need one? You shouldn’t let rainwater dry on you.” A couple hooves raised above the crowd. She sent one to each hoof and another to Noteworthy next to her. Once all of the needed towels were distributed, she selected a new piece of chalk from her saddle bags, and began to write, ‘Dinner Etiquette’ on her new chalkboard.

Just as she finished, her chalk snapped in half, the remainder of the stick instantly ground to dust in her telekinetic grip. Like the chalk, the world fell to pieces, all of it gone in an instant blizzard, the likes of which she had never seen. Her head vibrated on her neck, threatening to detach itself. She registered cries of alarm in the back of her mind, the all-consuming pain in her horn blotting out her other senses.

“Miss Rarity?! Quick! Somepony, get somepony! What? I don’t care who! Okay, yes I do...get a doctor! Is Nurse Redheart here today?” The voice was thin, like it echoed down a long tunnel.

“Where’d we move the hospital tent to?” another panicked voice answered.

“Corner of North and Everfree! GO!” the first voice shouted.

The world came back into focus just as quickly as it had disappeared. Rarity was on her side, an anxious crowd of ponies all around. Her horn felt tender, small tremors ran through it like aftershocks from a powerful earthquake, making her cringe with every beat of her heart. A soft groan escaped her as she attempted to raise her head. “Wha--?”

“There’s something happening at the staging grounds!” a female voice exclaimed from the edge of the small cluster of ponies.

A thunderclap shattered the air, at least it should have been a thunderclap. It rumbled for far too long, becoming a deep sustained tone that shook the ground beneath her and seemed to pull on the very air in her lungs. All of the ponies in the pavilion covered their ears, several of the unicorns present dropped to the ground, forehooves clutching their heads. The sonorous thunder reached a new low, so loud it was a wonder the ground did not undulate in response. A blinding ray of light, no, not light, molten pure magic seemed to pierce the crowd of ponies surrounding her. The corners of her vision constricted, darkness encroaching on the brilliance of the magic before her, until all faded to black bliss.

Dark. Wet. Some of the wet trickled down her face, a sweet-smelling wet. The other wet stuck to the sides of her head, unpleasantly pulling at her coat. She lifted a hoof to the side of her head but nothing happened. Where was her hoof? Where was everything? Her eyes were heavy, sealed shut by the fragrant wetness. Something soft, something tight, pressed on her head. A bandage, that’s what it was called. A bandage over her eyes? Why could she not feel her hooves or legs? If only she could open her eyes, maybe she could remember. Remember. Where was she? Who was she? She gave an involuntary jolt as sounds came crashing into her ears, filling in the void that once was occupied by her lonely heartbeat. There was sound, a lot of it. Whispers, no, not whispers, shouts and crying, all of it building on the foundation of a low rumble. Thunder…thunder and light. A light, she saw one, recently. A light so bright and pure even the memory of it made her body shake. Cold. Oh, so very cold. Her hooves were cold, she could feel them now, she wished she couldn’t.

Voices, too many to distinguish, made a din heavy with pain. What was this place, so full of sorrow and darkness? She tried to turn her head but little happened. A frustrated sob sounded in her ears. Was that her voice? Or one of the many around her?

Just as the soft light of the moon breaks through the clouds, a familiar voice separated itself from the cacophony. “Do you have a damage report for me, Rainbow Dash?” Like music it wrapped around her ears, the dulcet tones comforting her.

“The storm is barely under control,” a second voice answered, though it was tired, the familiar brash proclamations lifted her spirits. “I’ve got the whole Ponyville weather team out there and it’s all we can do to just keep it contained.”

“Any word from Cloudsdale?”

“Their teams are maxed out. Cloudsdale itself has only its reserves left to keep it from being consumed. There’s a massive tornado headed straight for Fillydelphia, Stalliongrad is under a flank’s height of snow, Canterlot is getting clobbered by hoof-size hail--everything’s a mess. We’re on our own. If I don’t get some reinforcements soon... I don’t wanna think about what’ll happen.”

“Can’t you use the bronies? There’s plenty of pegasi who weren’t at the staging grounds, they should be good to go, right?”

A heavy sigh preceded the second voice. “I dunno, Twilight, they can be worse than foals at flying. If I could’ve gotten into the training facilities at Cloudsdale, no, even then I don’t think I could use ‘em. I’d be spending all my time saving their flanks and not taking care of this thing.”

“What about the groups you’ve already trained? Some help is better than none.”

“A wing and B wing? B wing is out of commision, they were all down at the staging grounds when that portal thing collapsed, it’s gonna be weeks before they can fly again. I can see half of A wing is here, they’re on the same cloud as B wing. The others, they wouldn’t know what to do in a storm like this.”

Twilight. She knew this name and Rainbow Dash. Why did she remember them and not her own? A frigid tingle danced down her spine.

“Hmm, well, according to my list, the two wing leaders aren’t here. Have you talked to Cloudhopper and Titus? It won’t hurt to try, Rainbow.” Yes, she could recognize that tenacious optimism.

She tried once again to raise a hoof but her feeble attempt was thwarted by a soft barrier. A blanket? How could such a small thing stop her so easily? Why was it so cold? “Twi-Twilight.” A pathetic mewl parted her lips.

“Doctor! Doctor, come quick! I think she’s coming around.” This voice was not at all familiar, it’s sudden advent caused her to recoil.

“Twilight?” she asked again, trying to make herself heard over the nightmarish noise.

Soft hoofsteps answered her plea. “I’m here, Rarity.”

Rarity. Was that her name? Blindly she reached for the familiar voice, the blanket once again giving her trouble. Warm, familiar hooves moved the blanket for her, allowing her to wrap the crooks of her fetlocks around Twilight’s forelegs. “Say my name again.” This voice, so feeble and desperate, was it really hers?

“Rarity?” Twilight ventured.

“Rarity,” she whispered back. Yes, that was her name. Thunder boomed, muffled as if from a great distance but the vibrations shook the bed of straw and blankets on which she lay. Memories, clear and sharp rushed into her mind like the cold waters of a mountain stream. “What happened, Twilight? Where am I?”

“It’s okay, Rarity, you’re fine, you’re safe. The doctor’s here, he’ll take good care of you.” Twilight cooed at her, stroking Rarity’s mane with a hoof.

“Don’t leave me,” she hissed, panic taking hold of her at the thought of being alone in this perpetual darkness.

“I’m not going anywhere, Rarity.” Twilight’s voice was like a branch to which she could cling in the dark rushing river of sound all around her. Scents began wafting to her, some sharp, others sweet. A heavy metallic scent muddied the otherwise clean smell of rain and wet earth. “The portal opened again, but, something went terribly wrong. I was in Ponyville at the time, getting Spike, and I could feel the surge in magic. I can only imagine what it felt like this close to it.”

“This close?” Images flashed in Rarity’s mind. The pavilion, the towels, a chalk stick, a white light. She shivered again.

“Welcome back, Miss Rarity. I’m Dr. Valor.” A low, smooth and well cultured voice came out of the pall of sounds. “How are you feeling?” It reminded her of Fancy Pants’ voice.

“Cold,” Rarity whispered.

“We’ll have to fix that.” Another set of hooves trotted off, soon lost to the incessant rumbling of thunder. “Twilight, can you lift her leg for me, I need to listen to her lungs. Yes, that one, thank you.” Rarity felt her feeble foreleg rise above her head then an ear pressed against her chest. “Breathe as deeply as you can, Rarity, let it out slowly.”

Rarity did as instructed. The deep, deliberate breaths coupled with Dr. Valor’s tranquil voice and Twilight’s presence calmed her even more. The cold she felt upon first awakening began to fade slightly.

“Very good, Rarity. Everything sounds great.” The ear lifted from her chest and her leg was tucked under the blanket once more. “How is your head? Do you have a headache or is your horn tender at all?”

“No,” she said, surprised. From what she remembered of this morning, she should’ve had a splitting headache. “What’s wrong with my eyes?” There had to be something wrong, why else would they bother to bandage them? Fear struck her without warning. Did she look into that molten pure light? Had it taken her sight into its infinitely white depths?

“Don’t worry, Rarity, nothing is wrong with your eyes. The bandage was just a precaution, many of the others, unicorns especially, who were close to the staging grounds, complained of sore, achy eyes. We put a salve of aloe and tolu on it to help with swelling. I suppose we can remove it now. Would you like that?” Dr. Valor’s voice was calm and in control, even so, there were undertones of weariness.

“Yes, please,” Rarity managed to squeak.

“Twilight, can you grab that damp cloth there? Thank you.” The pressure of the bandage loosened as the doctor unwrapped it from her head. Layer by layer, the darkness began to retreat. She felt a slight tingle as the cloth ran over her eyes, wiping away the fragrant salve. “There, good as new.”

She cracked one eye, squinting at the bright interior of a cavernous canvas construction. Lightning flashed, throwing grotesque shadows over the scene before her. A triple row of beds, some made of straw wrapped in blankets, some were cots with a shiny metal frame and dull colored fabric, others looked to be made out of the tattered remains of the strange tents the bronies had brought with them, filled the entire floor of the spacious tent. Blood, bright against the white bandages and the muted green of flattened grass, seemed to be everywhere. The heavy metallic scent suddenly made her want to vomit. Never in her life had she seen so much blood, never enough to smell. A wan, magenta light coated everything in an ethereal glow.

All she could manage was a slight turn of her head to look at her companions. Twilight’s concerned face was just above her head, a damp rag held in her magenta telekinesis. Below her, an unfamiliar pony sat next to her bed. He was a white pegasus, not unheard of but still not at all common, with a pink-striped white mane. He had on a white vest sewn with numerous pockets of varying sizes over a black garment that extended all the way to his haunches. It also sported several large pockets stuffed with bandages. The outlines of several other objects were visible through the fabric, their identities and uses she could only guess.

A flutter of cerulean blue drew her gaze to a very sodden but beaming Rainbow Dash. “It’s good to see you finally awake,” she remarked as she brushed aside some multi-colored hair. “Twilight worried about you something awful. Thought I’d never hear the end of it.” Rainbow let out a soft laugh even as she looked away furtively. “Well, gotta get back to that storm. I’ll track down Cloudhopper and Titus, Twilight. If you don’t hear from me in an hour--just assume I’m saving somepony...” She sauntered off and was soon lost to Rarity’s constrained sight.

She focused her attention on the white pegasus. “Dr. Valor, I presume?” Her voice was still breathy and somewhat soft, no matter that she did her best not to sound flustered.

A tiny smile played out across his lips, like a silent laugh at a private joke. “Indeed, Miss Rarity--”

“NO! Get me Sethisto!” The desperate cry startled them all. “It’s important! gah!-mmmmg... Just get him!” Dr. Valor stood up and trotted over to the source of the commotion. Rarity gasped when she saw the pony making all of the noise. He was a white unicorn, but his horn ended in a jagged stump not halfway down its length. His platinum mane was messy and singed in several places. A wide bandage, wrapped about his middle, was soaked through with blood. “N-Need to tell him! Tell him, the cartographer is dead. The cartographer is dead!”

Rarity turned to Twilight. “What is he saying? Who’s the cartographer?”

Twilight shook her head. “I have no idea. He was one of the bronies who came through the portal today. There were four of them and all of them were beaten up.” Twilight shuddered. “Dr. Valor called their wounds gunshots. I’ve never heard of such a thing, apparently they’re caused by some sort of weapon of their world.”

“The-mmmf! The porch light... i-is out and the keys are missing...” The injured unicorn’s utterances began to take on an even more desperate edge even as he struggled to speak. “Four dreams lost... four dreams lost.” That last was muffled by the cloth Dr. Valor placed over the distraught unicorn’s mouth and nose. After only a few breaths, he fell asleep.

Dr. Valor shook his head, stuffing the cloth into an unused pocket that seemed to appear out of nowhere. “I hate doing it that way. Daystar,” he said, turning to a pastel cream unicorn with a windswept two-tone blue mane, “fetch Dark Wisp and tell him White Light has a cipher for Sethisto. Be quick.” Daystar nodded sharply and galloped from the large tent. Twilight closed her eyes as he passed, bowing her head in concentration her horn glowing bright with magic. Behind Rarity, the angry tumult of a storm in full rage blasted forth, momentarily drowning out the miserable din of the tent’s occupants.

The tempest sounds muted once again when Twilight opened her eyes and released a pent up breath. “I really hope Rainbow can get this storm under control soon. I don’t know how long I can keep up a force field this big.” Rarity forced a weak foreleg out of her blanket to place a hoof on her friend’s.

“Four... dreams... lost,” White Light whispered. It made no sense to Rarity but that single sorrowful sentence brought the cold back to her chest and weighed down her soul.