• Published 23rd Aug 2014
  • 801 Views, 17 Comments

Silver and Foals - dracone



Silver Fall is a dragon who happens to be unusual in more ways than one

  • ...
7
 17
 801

Chapter 4: Silver Meets Lightning's Family

Silver Meets Lightning's Family

It had been four months since Silver Fall and Lightning Twist had been discreetly seeing each other. She had surprised him with her cooking skills, to which she explained the properties of tofu (a special food made entirely from soy, it was a recipe that her father had insisted she commit to memory). And Lightning Twist surprised her with his dancing ability, turns out that was partly how he got cutie mark, but what amused him was her inability to dance in dragon and pony form. Silver Fall taught him a bit about cooking (turns out he was such terrible cook his housemate, Storm Runner, told him that if he was ever caught in the kitchen he would be tied to his bed for a week.), and he taught her some simple dances (she was so awkward during her first 12 lessons that she tripped over her own feet, tail, and him, but on lesson 13 she showed that she was so choreographed Lightning Twist could have sworn she had danced as a child if he had not been there to see how terrible her dancing was in her prior lessons).

They were having another private lunch in Silver's lair when Lightning Twist said, “I think it's time we made our relationship official and public, everypony in Mustang is perfectly okay with the way you really look now.”

“Have you broken to your family that you've been seeing a dragon?” she inquired with the kind of cool compassion he knew as her standard mannerism.

“I'm still trying to find the best way to do so without freaking anypony out, my siblings might get a kick out it, but I'm pretty sure my parents will go into such an immense shock we'd have to rush them to hospital if they didn't take it as a joke,” said Lightning Twist in a somber tone.

“There's no way to break it in a way that somepony won't have a freak out,” said Silver Fall in a much warmer tone that showed a hint of amusement, “just tell the truth and let should happen do just what it's meant to do. Share everything you would like them to know about me, just don't tell them I'm a dragon, give them additional information to work with.”

He smiled at her and said, “my sister will really like you, Star Tome is a teacher at Cloudsdale Academy. As for my brothers I think they'll just get a few laughs at how the most family oriented pony of all of us is thinking having a family with a non-pony,” he facehoofed before saying, “I honestly don't know how mom would act because she keeps on saying how much she wants grandfoals, but dad in all honesty probably will not take it well.”

“Predicting family is tricky,” said Silver Fall, “technically mom's entire clan was my family and they mostly despised me because nothing about me met their approval, my parents were the only one that seemed to appreciate me and just as I was going into exile one of those dragons that had despised me started showing me that accepted me and was regretful of the fact I had to part from the only family I had known,” she gave slight sniffle, “it's almost funny, I didn't have the ability to show my full emotions back then and now thinking back to different points in my life I'm bombarded with emotions that I would have shown if they hadn't been frozen. I think my emotions would still be mostly frozen if we had never met, and that thought terrifies me.”

Lightning Twist gave smile, got up, trotted over to where Silver Fall was sitting at the little wooden table that seemed more than a little out of place in a dragon's lair and wrapped his wings around the silver dragoness that currently around his size before saying, “we have hardships in our lives, you know this better than most, but regardless I'm glad we got the chance to meet. I'm overjoyed we're trying to make a romantic relationship work, but keeping hidden from everypony isn't the way to dos this anymore. We need to show everypony we know how much we're trying to make this work.” Silver Fall just nodded solemnly into his wing, which was now covering her face.

Lightning Twist thanked her for the meal and left to go about his routines, he had mail duties on this particular afternoon. After he left Silver Fall headed for her garden. When she arrived at her garden she spotted some squirrels in the lemon tree she had planted a few years prior, it was next her apple tree. She smiled and gave the squirrels a warm greeting, who both scurried way into a hollow of the apple tree, before checking on her soy beans, the soy beans had undergone a tremendous growth spurt since her emotions had been freed from their icy prison. While she could usually get them to around the size of the average pony's hoof she was now growing them to almost the size of a pony's head. They were healthier than ever before, and immensely tastier. Maybe the next time Celestia was to show herself in Mustang she would provide the ivory alicorn with a few as a show of good faith. She was so lost in her work of tending the beans she didn't notice her unexpected visitor.

“You really grow them yourself? Wow,” came a young slightly squeaky feminine voice, Silver Fall turned her head to see a little blue cream colored unicorn filly whom had yet to obtain her cutie mark with big expressive dark green eyes. She said in a warm compassionate voice, “and who would you be, little one? Is your mother or father nearby?”

“I'm Bluebell Sonata,” said the filly with excitement, “mommy's out in front of your cave.”

Before Bluebell could say another word Silver Fall said, “how about you and I go see your mommy,” then made her way to the front of the cave.

Soon as she rounded the corner she spotted a lemon yellow unicorn mare with a lime green mane and the image of three different music notes on her flank. The unicorn mare turned to reveal her a pair of faded soda blue eyes that quickly informed the dragoness that this unicorn might have trouble seeing if she wasn't blind. The unicorn said in an almost musical voice, “I hear somepony new approaching, did my little Sonata cause any trouble?”

“Not at all,” said Silver Fall, quickly turning to see the filly riding the dragoness's articulating tail before saying, “she showed and interest in my gardening.”

“Oh, thank Princess Celestia she didn't encounter anything threatening. It's so hard keep her in check with my condition, I don't know what's gotten into her father with his deciding that it would be a better idea to spend time with his friends and not help his poor wife get around a new place for a few hours first. Where are we anyway?”

“The dragon cave just short trot from the town,” said Silver Fall with a sense of amusement, “I'm Silver Fall, who might you be?”

“I'm Citrus Song,” said the mare with noticeable shock and horror on her face, “is the d-dragon friendly, I m-mean i-i-i f-f-f-f-f-f-f there is one that lives here.”

“You really are new here,” said Silver Fall with continued amusement, “I'm the dragon in question, and before you panic I only eat plants. In fact I grow most of the food I eat, I even sell some of the beans I grow at market. You're daughter is riding my tail with amusement by the way.”

At this Bluebell Sonata gave an excited, “hi mommy, this dragon-mare is really friendly.”

“Actually Sonata,” said Silver Fall as she used her tail to gently place the filly on her mother's back, “a dragon version of a mare is called a dragoness, I admit it sounds a little regal sometimes.”

This caused both ponies to smile before Citrus Song said, “could we try one of your beans, I kept on hearing how delicious they are.”

“Big beans that are yummy,” cried Bluebell Sonata bouncing on her mother's back, which caused her mother to lower her flank and let the filly off onto the ground.

“Certainly,” said Silver Fall, “follow me, as best you can madam. Your daughter should have an idea of the way since she delightfully interrupted my tending said beans. The official name of these kind of beans is soy beans.” With that she started leading the two towards her garden.

“Do you get visitor's often here?” inquired Citrus Song as they neared the garden and the scents began to rush over her.

“Not really,” said Silver Fall as she gently started digging around where she had one of the planted beans sprouting, “there's Lightning Twist showing up every couple of days, we've been trying make a romantic relationship work.

Citrus Song smiled and said, “that sounds like the inspiration for new song, I was composer of music for some time. Not so much anymore, kind of hard to see what you've composed when all you can make out is smudges of light that flicker in and out of blackness.”

“I'm sorry to hear that” said Silver Fall unearthing the beans and sending an ice blast cold enough to remove the dirt without harming the beans before saying, “I'm going to give you this bunch free of charge because I adore having company, it's right in front of you.” With that the massive bunch of beans was surrounded in a sharp soda blue aura which Silver took as her queue to let go of the beans, she then used her claws to pick two of the beans and pass the to the mouths of the filly and the unicorn. Both took them in their mouths and showed surprise at the size of the beans in their mouths, and the vibrant flavors the beans seemed to have as well.

Taking the bean out her mouth, revealing a massive bite chunk, with her magic (the aura was bright cream blue) Bluebell Sonata said, “these are really big beans, how do you get them this big.”

“It's partially old dragon magic from the far east,” said Silver Fall, “the rest is all the compassion and love I can give the plants. Dad always said that plants give you their best if you show them love.”

The filly's eyes lit up and she said, “I wanna be gardening pony now, I want to know what it's like to have plants give their all when I share my love with them.”

Her mother gave chuckle before using her magic to remove bean from her mouth, while keeping the string of beans still aloft, and saying, “it'll be just as much work as the music your father and I have insisted you practice.”

“Possibly more,” said Silver Fall, “a garden is a tremendous responsibility. Just like with animals each individual kind of plant has specific need and that means it's up to you to make sure they're happy and healthy. You just can't place them in any kind of dirt, you need to find the right soil and tend to the plant for days, weeks, or possibly months before you start seeing any sign of what could be a thanks from them for you looking after them from the time they were a seed. You can plant beans as is, they're the seeds for growing new plants.”

Bluebell Sonata's eyes went wide and she stared back at the bean she had bitten into before saying, “then being gardener means knowing which plants need to be used to feed others while you are also planting new seeds. Some plants we eat are also the seeds to a new plant, which means you have to decide which to eat and which to plant. Auhg, this is too much for me to think about, why am I even considering all this?”

“Because you're a smart filly,” said her mother, “and you are showing a genuine interest in this, that could be a sign that tending plants is your special talent.”

Bluebell Sonata's face lit up with a smile before she said, “I wonder if there's somepony in Canterlot that can teach me of plants, I want so much to see if I like lessons on plants more than lessons on music.”

“Actually,” said Silver Fall, “there are rumors that certain plants like certain kinds of music, so practicing music near the plants you're raising could possibly make them grow faster.”

Citrus Song smiled at this before saying, “you hear that, plants might actually like music, now you have reason for keeping at your lessons that is a match to your interest. Because I don't think your plants will appreciate off-tune music.”

Bluebell Sonata's ears drooped a little before she said, “okay, I'll try.”

“You cheer up young filly,” said Silver Fall, “the negative energy you're producing is bad for the plants.”

Both unicorns looked at her before Citrus Song asked, “what do you mean? Energy in the air?”

“Something my dad would say about plants,” said Silver Fall, “just like you can pickup the emotions in song, plants can pick up on the emotions of other living things around them and it can influence their growth. If anger and sorrow saturate an area then the plants will have a stunted growth and they'll taste bad, but if the area is filled with love and happiness the plants grow faster and taste better.”

“Thanks for telling me that,” said Bluebell Sonata, “that means a lot to me, and you said it in a way that can help mom relate.” With that the two unicorns were trotted off, with the filly telling her mother where obstacles were. Silver Fall smiled with genuine happiness at the sight, it also made her start wishing she had some little one of her own (which made her feel a little sad). She quickly made her way back to the cave's front just in case she had some other unexpected visitors. Those were her only unexpected visitors for the day, and they were a welcome distraction. She headed back to her garden after waiting out front for a few hours. The sun was just starting to set when she finished.

Back in her lair she examined and polished her rainbow pearl for almost two hours. Just before curling up to go to sleep she gently, yet firmly, held the pearl in her talons and said, “care to tell me why you were inside me when I found you, I know you can't tell me anything but I just want feel like I'm getting answers from you,” she gave a little smile before saying, “I've never really done this before, but now that my emotions have been freed I am more than willing to entert... I'm talking a giant pearl that holds fragment of my essence! Why?”

With that she curled up to sleep. The sound of her slumber echoed through the cavern with nervous, excited and confused undertones. Little did she know one of her coming days would bring her to an experience that would force her deal with her emotions in ways she never expected would occur. Soon she would be displaying abilities that even she wasn't fully aware of. She would still keep some things to herself, but as is the nature of such things sometimes those things she kept for herself would force their way into her life in unexpected ways.


************************

It had been a few days since his lunch with Silver Fall and Lightning Twist was feeling nervous, the point of being a near wreck. He was going to tell his family about the individual in his life that had the strongest romantic pull over him, and he was pretty sure he knew what all their reactions would be. Silver Fall's words echoed in his head reminding him that he would have tell his immediate family these things anyway. He planned ahead to tell them what she was like and what she did, then as carefully as possible he would tell them what she was. He knew that he was practically calling in a downpour for a dry daisy with it, but he decided it had to be done.

Taking a deep breath he knocked on the cloud door of the three story building just on the edge of the wealthier side of Cloudsdale. Both his parents were highly successful, as was his sister, his brothers' were marginally successful in their businesses, and he had chosen a career job (that felt more like a deadend career on most days) that allowed him to be marginally comfortable in small pegasus town (something that frustrated his father to no end). After waiting a few minutes he heard a refined female pegsus voice say, “the door is unlocked, you may enter.”

Lightning Twist took another deep breath and opened the door to see his family all gathered around. His mother, Spotlight Flutter, one of Equestria's most popular pegasus models, was looking at him with her amber eyes smiling, navy blue mane done up up in a braid that wrapped around her neck, and peach colored coat looking like it had just come out of a spa's wash (and knowing his mother she probably had been to at least one of the Cloudsdale spas in the past hour). His father, Crimson Skies, was the head of Cloudsdale's security forces (and was known for his no nonsense attitude when it came to everything, even at home), his bright red coat was looking expertly groomed (likely thanks to his mother), his black mane and tail were done up in the traditional military cut, and his ocean green eyes were showing an angry look to them (despite that fact that Lightning Twist was nearly an hour and half earlier than he had informed his family he would be), and his scarlet red coat was well groomed. His sister, Star Tome, was sitting with a family records book between her hooves, her periwinkle eyes showing delight and the fact she could see her brother again, her midgnight blue mane was done up in a set of four simple braids (each pinned shut by little silver star mane clips), and her neon green coat was shining more brilliantly than usual while displaying her cutie mark of a large dark brown book adorned with six lavender shooting stars with dark pink tails. His elder brother, Thunder Kick, was sitting with his blue and white hoofball jersie folded in front of him (which meant that his mom and sister had managed to get off him, cleaned and back to him only seconds before the door had opened), his ocher eyes displayed his sheepish grin, as he tried to dawn the outfit discreetly for half a second before stopping himself, his black coat seemed to well compliment his brightly colored jersie, his cutie mark of a hoofball being struck by a lime green lightning bolt was also on display, and his sky blue mane was done up neatly (most likely the work of their mother). His younger brother, Blackout, was an editor for one of the many book presses in Canterlot, for some reason his brother chose to wear a set of dark plaid pants that seemed designed clashed with his bright periwinkle coat so as to hide his cutie mark (a pen and ink darkening half a page), he also wore a card dealer's visor over his head which was a translucent florescent orange that somehow managed to clashed with his navy blue eyes, and his ink brown mane was done up in short editor's cut that came very short of being eerily similar to their father's mane cut while his tail was grown so long that it made wonder how he didn't trip over it when he decided to move around by not flying.

Although it was hard to tell he and Star Tome were in fact twins, a fact that most ponies would laugh off if they were told and gloss over if they were in the loop. His father narrowed his eyes, somehow managing to make his face look much angrier than it already was before he said in his usual overbearing gruff tone, “I certainly hope this family meeting includes you getting a better job than mail courier and weather management for a nearly isolated community.”

“Uh, not yet,” said Lightning Twist, “I've actually been seeing some pony for a few months now, and to be honest I felt a special connection with her the moment we locked eyes.”

Almost as if on queue his brothers started laughing and saying in a mocking synchronize tone, “Lighty found a mare just a dull as him, hope she's successful as dad because that's the only way you'll stop being a disappointment.”

“We'll have none of that you two,” came his mother's voice (which proved indeed to be the voice that answered the door, as expected), the reaction of his brothers was also as expected, his mother shot his father and brothers a menacing look (which caused all three to try and shy away from her and do their best to not say another word), “your brother has always been the most family minded, even though it has caused him to completely pass far more successful job opportunities I'm still proud he thinks that way. Now Spill, what's my future daughter-in-law like?”

“Yah, bro,” said Star Tome in her distinct refined, yet casual, intellectual type voice, “we need details, since we all know you'll be marrying her by the end of the next year.”

Lightning Twist licked his lips in nervousness before saying, “well she grows some the largest beans anypony has seen in Equestria, as to why she decides to only sell that at the Mustang market a few times every few months is anypony's guess. She has personality that can come off as a little cold,” his father actually smiled at this before Lightning Twist continued, “she's really compassionate. Everytime I've seen her around foals she's been really respectful of them, even when everypony else isn't. She's mindful of the limitations of everypony she interacts with. And all her entire diet is nothing more than plants she herself is cultivating. She rea...”

“Hold up,” said his mother, “how can she have cold personality if she's also compassionate?”

“Her usual personality is a cold to cool compassion,” said Lightning Twist, “I don't know how she pulls it off, but she does.”

“She sounds wonderful,” said his father, “just the kind of mare to compliment your personality. So, what is she? I'm assuming since she's from a land community that she's probably not a pegasus.”

“That's correct,” said Ligtning Twist, “she isn't a pegasus. She's actual, well, adragonandIreallydolovehersopleasejustdon'tdissapproveoftherelationship.”

His father and brothers just stared him like he was crazy, which he probably was. His mother had a smile of amusement and Star Tome actually had a look of understanding on her face (not curiosity as he had anticipated).

“Really, my brother, mister family above all else is dating a dragon,” said Star Tome with an amused voice, “this will be a fascinating study, but tell me how is a dragon is capable of surviving for years on an equine-esque diet?”

“She says she's a mixed blood,” said Lightning Twist, his father sat their in awkward silence, and his mother just kept glowing with amusement (to the point it was actually creeping his father and brothers out). Lightning Twist continued with, “that's a term dragons use for, aren't you going to take notes on this, this is the sort of thing you can present to the academic world,” he arched a brow in concern.

“Oh, right,” said Star Tome pulling a well-kept notebook that had clear signs of age.

“Anyway,” said Lightning Twist as his sister prepared for writing down the next set of words carefully, “a mixed blood is term dragons use for a dragon that has two different kinds of dragons as its parents. Her mother's clan, the one she grew up in, is a clan of winged fire drakes, from what she's told me fire drakes usually don't have wings since most fire drake clans are in fact wingless with bodies that are instead built for powerful sprints,” the sound of a pencil following along like a filly taking notes at school followed his every word, “her father was a dragon from a far eastern land, he was capable of flight without wings.”

“How is that possible?” inquired his mother, Star Tome giving a nod of approval at the question.

“The dragon's that that were of the variety her father was follow different rules than the dragons Equestria is used to,” said Lightning Twist, “for one instead being built similar to feline they're built like a serpent with legs designed like predatory birds, she herself is of a design that hybridizes the designs of the two in a way that makes anatomical sense. Anyway to answer mother's question, they fly by manipulating their magic fields, they can can also change their appearance. You know how greed is recorded to cause dragons to undergo a dramatic physical change, well the dragons of her father's homeland have figured out how to adjust that same mechanism willingly to take any form they want. She partially inherited the ability. She can make her size alter at will and she can make herself look like a pony, but she has an inability to alter her coloration that is the equivalent of a pony's coat.”

“Very nice,” said his mother calmly, “what's her coat color? And more importantly, what is her name?”

“Her name is Silver Fall, she's all silver, except for her claws and horns which are snow white,” said Lightning Twist.”

His father finally managed to snap out of his shock and say, “while she sounds nice, I am not going to entertain this foolishn...”

“I've invited her to a family dinner next week,” said Lightning Twist, expertly cutting off his father, she'll be in a pegasus form so as to not draw to much attention, once we are securely alone she will reveal what she really looks like to the family. It will be our first official public date, so please be nice.”

“You what?” shouted his brothers in unison.

Followed up with his father saying, “you do realize how...”

“It will wonderful to meet her darling,” said his mother who with a tactical precision cut of his father's words before giving the stallion a look that said he was better off not saying anymore.

Crimson Skies gave both mare a look that said 'you can't be serious about entertaining this foolish delusion?'

Blackout finally said, “I certainly hope this is an elaborate joke that is a suggestion of your fillyfriend, because this would make a great prank. If grandma and grandpa catch word of this they'll laugh it off, not to mention our cousins will get a good laugh out of it. If you're serious about this then it is my duty to inform the presses so they can inform all of...”

“Sorry you will not be getting the chance,” said Star Tome, I know when my twin is joking and can assure you he is all serious about this. You don't mind introducing me early to her, do you?”

“Not at all,” said Lightning Twist.

“I'll be joining her on that visit,” said Spotlight Flutter, I want to see what she's like myself. We'll see you in a few days.”

“You're both bonkers,” said Crimson Skies, “Spotlight, she's probably just a mare delusional mare with a really pretty coat, I do not want potentially confirmed psychological instibilities in this lineage!”

“Then wait until next week and grill her the way your father did me,” said Spotlight Flutter, “but I'm going to confirm her personality personally. You may be a military stallion, but you still adhere to me Crimson, so I suggest you get used to it or find a way to get out of that foalish mentality you and your other sons have fallen into.”

“At least my twin as enough courtesy to give the mare he's dating the benefit of the doubt and support her claims when they go unsubstantiated,” said Star Tome.

“Actually,” said Lightning Twist she proved right in front of me, then she came out with it in front of all of Mustang and my friends in Cirrus.”

They looked at him and blinked a few times before Star Tome said, “okay, that's really amusing. She's probably around our age which would make her about 18.”

“If you added about 3 centuries to that then yes,” said Lightning Twist.

“I'm moving up the timetable,” said Star Tome and Spotlight Flutter in unison, “I am meeting her in two days.”

“I'll let her know, she'll probably put on pot of tea. She grows her own tea leaves.” With that he walked out the door without being excused, to the sound of his father muttering about potential brain damage in all his children.

************************************

It was the appointed day, Lightning Twist had informed Silver Fall of the impromptu visit of his mother and sister. Despite the potentially never wracking-ness of the event Silver Fall was the level of calm she had displayed before the bulk of her emotions had melted free. The Silver dragon was examining her pearl closely, an act that seemed to help her in orienting her emotions to socially acceptable levels. She had yet to tell Lightning Twist about the importance of the pearl, she had merely imparted general information about dragon stones to him and told him she indeed had one herself without actually telling him what it was. A well crafted stone table that could comfortably seat a dozen ponies was just outside her lair. Silver Fall herself was in her Bit Watcher guise, at the suggestion of Lightning Twist.

The sound of three sets of pegsus wings approaching informed her that her guests were arriving, she had a number of simple dishes laid out on the table (one of which was a small pile of her soy beans steam cooked). The first to come into view was Lightning Twist, followed by a neon green mare with a midnight blue mane then a peach colored mare with a navy blue mane. He introduced the neon green mare as his sister Star Tome and the peach mare as his mother named Spotlight Flutter. Silver Fall gave them a gracious bow and motioned for them to take a seat at the table, after she had done so Lightning Twist whispered something inaudible to the two in her ear and she nodded before taking a few step back and assuming her true form and full size, then brought herself down to pegasus size. The reactions that both gave at this were very different from each other. Spotlight Flutter was grinning like an idiot from ear to ear while Star Tome only gave a critical look for few seconds before rummaging through her, neatly organized, saddlebag for a notebook and writing utensil.

“Well,” said Spotlight Flutter maintaing her very genuine grin, “looks like my boy was telling truth.”

“Which means everything he said you told him about you is also true,” said Star Tome excitedly as she finally pulled up the notebook and writing utensils she wanted with her wings.

“Indeed,” said Silver Fall in her usual cool compassionate voice as she took a seat at the table, “the large beans are the soy beans I've been growing, feel free to try them. They're the primary suppliment of my diet, they contain the bulk of the nutrients I and many other creatures require. I've been told by some of my customers that the beans have managed to make their coats and manes much more glossy and vibrant.”

“Well, I don't want to be rude,” said Spotlight Flutter, “but was your father really a dragon that avoided meat?”

“The soy beans I grow are from seeds leftover from his garden,” said Silver Fall, “mom couldn't bring herself to tend his garden after he died, it brought too much much pain to her. But, yes he avoided meat, in fact he found the act sickening. I ate some growing up, although it was mostly wild rabbit or bird of some kind, but from the time I was ten I've done my best to avoid the stuff. I get an itch to eat some now and then, but after preparing some tofu in a certain way the feeling goes away.”

“Tofu?” inquired Star Tome.

“A product made from soy,” said Silver Fall before gesturing to large bowl filled with jiggling white cubes, “these cubes are tofu, a true master chef can take raw tofu and make it look and taste like anything they want, at least that's what dad said to me a few times. I showed me a few recipes, including how to make tofu.”

“This is brilliant,” said Star Tome, “I'll have take some this to the academy with me and issue challenge to the culinary students, I'll even tell them what you told me.”

“Hold that race for moment,” said Silver Fall with an electric edge to her voice that startled everypony present, “you just can't have students going around trying different techniques without a base, I'd have to show them a few of the recipes before the challenge could even be viable, you're letting your curiosity runaway with you, that's dangerous. I'm going to have teach you meditation techniques to help keep your zeal in check.”

“Meditation?” inquired the mares, which incited a chuckle from Lightning Twist.

“Meditation is method of self-regulation and personal calming, it's far more comprehensive and effective than just breathing exercises. In fact with the right meditation technique and practice you can regulate your breath at any rate you want.”

“Count me in,” said Spotlight Flutter, “some self relaxing techniques are always welcome in my line of work, pity nopony's asked for me in any of their shows recently.”

“I'm sure you'll get back on the walk,” said Silver Fall with a warm compassionate voice, “you look more lively than mares half your age.”

“That's it, Lightning Twist you have my blessing to spend the rest of your life with this dragon, and if your father has problem with it he can take it up with me.”

“Last time dad took it up with mom,” said Star Tome with a chuckle, “he was looking face to face with the captain of Princess Celestia's guard with said captain berating him for improper conduct, yeah, when dad takes up a disagreement with mom she makes it so that his career gets a major incident report that the coming superiors think is a joke until they are involved in one.”

“Just because mom isn't military doesn't mean she can't get exert influence on them,” said Lightning Twist, “frankly I'm surprised she has as much reach as she does, especially when you consider nopony on from her family has had any connection to the Royal Guard for over twenty generations.”

“It's just knowing ponies sweetheart,” said Spotlight Flutter with an innocent smile.

“Your mother would be terrifying if I wasn't keeping my fear in check,” responded Silver Fall.

“How are you doing that?” asked all three ponies in unison.

“A little meditation trick I picked up from dad,” said Silver Fall with a smile, “so, we're still on for the family meal next week?”

“You know it,” said Spotlight Flutter, “I'll arrange for dining area with the kind of privacy needed for the little display you gave us and...”

“Anypony here?” came the sound of Bluebell Sonata's voice.

“Hold that thought,” said Silver Fall getting up from her seat going to meet the filly, “hi Sonata, where's your mom?”

“With daddy, they're plalying cards, he says she's his lucky charm in the games.”

“While that does sound a little romantic it doesn't explain why you're here without a foalsitter,” said Silver Fall, “I don't recall agreeing with your mother foalsit for her during your visit here.”

“They tried to find me a sitter, but nopony had the the time to look after me so they just left me in the cabin with a bunch of coloring books. I hopped out the window and made my way to you, you look busy.”

“Just having lunch with some ponies that wanted to meet me,” said Silver Fall, “care to join us?”

Bluebell Sonata nodded vigerously before saying, “sure,” then following Silver Fall to the table.

“Everypony meet Bluebell Sonata,” said silver Fall while picking up a spare plate from the center of table with her tail before loading it with a sampling everything on the table and putting it before the filly, “her parents are a little preoccupied at the moment so I guess I'll be looking after her for a few hours.”

“Have you foalsat before,” inquired Spotlight Flutter.

“At least half of Mustang can attest to my skills as a sitter,” said Silver Fall, “I am three-hundred years old you know, I've looked after everypony's grandparents in this town.”

All four ponies looked at her with surprise before Star Tom grabbed a notebook and case of pencils to leave saying something about interviewing ponies in the town.”

“Alright, but then you won't get to hear about the Phobarian Hound until next week,” said Silver Fall teasingly.

Star Tome pivoted on her hooves to face the dragon before saying, “What Hound?”

“Phobarian Hound, they're so rare that I wouldn't be surprised that any comprehensive books on rare and mythical creatures is lacking an entry on them,” said Silver Fall, “I dealt with one a little over a century ago, it wasn't fun.”

“Really, what do they look like?” inquired Star Tome, “if we can get a live specimen it could impro...”

“That would be very stupid, Phobarian Hounds are one of the few things that fully matured dragons will actively avoid. The only way they won't affect you is a lack of sight and hearing. The look like a big black dog around the size of the average adult pony, they're all black with deep crimson colored eyes, their fangs are sharp enough to pierce a dragon's hide easily, their bite makes you see your worst fear everywhere, their howl makes you feel all the fear you have ever experienced, and when the two are used in concert your worst fear is given physical form. The only way to remove that is to either face your fear with everything you have or knock out the Hound. Thing is they're highly resistant to magic and exceedingly durable in addition to being abnormally strong for canine their size. If you did manage to capture one it would have to be kept in sound proof room in an breakable cage while held down in chains with a binding spell just to give you hope of keeping it suppressed for a few minutes. In addition to be physically powerful they're also really smart, they can solve complex problems with certain level of ease. As for the ability to talk, nopony knows, seriously in my encounter with it the sound that came out of it's muzzle was its howls.”

Star Tome was writing down every bit of information with certain sense of glee and when Silver fall fininshed she said, “even if its existence can't be proven the addition of such a creature to lore would be a nice touch, they're basically fear given form, tales of great heroes defeating fear itself could be inspiring.”

“Or parents will probably use them as a scare tactic to ensure that their fillies and colts are well behaved,” commented Silver Fall, “I almost did use that as an intimidation tactic a few times when the foals I watched were being misbehaved.”

At this point Bluebell Sonata looked up at the dragon and asked, “why has nopony ever encounted one before?”

“A good question,” said Silver Fall, “you see Phobarian Hounds are, as I stated earlier, very rare. My guess is that they don't make themselves known to ponies because it would be too easy for them cause a panic, I think they want see how far they can take their fear power with the more dangerous denizens of Equestria and lands beyond.”

“That is a reasonable hypothesis,” said Star Tome.

“Go on, Sonata,” said Silver Fall, “the food won't hurt you, sorry you had to hear about something so scary before you could eat,” the gentle compassion filled with warmth brought a smile to Spotlight Flutter. She also noticed something that almost felt of about the dragon and felt she had to ask a potentially painful question.

“So,” said Spotlight Flutter, “do you want to have foals in the future?”

Silver Fall gave a sad look to all the ponies present and said, “more than anything now, I want the joys and trials of motherhood more than anything. However, I'm aware that might not happen since I'm a dragon and Lightning is a pony, the likelihood of us being physically compatible enough to have offspring is quite low.”

“While I would normally be inclined to agree,” said Star Tome, “you have the ability to alter your form to the point you can pass for any kind of pony you want so I would like to say that the likelihood you two could have children is much higher than if were the kind of dragon your mother was.”

“Maybe,” said Silver Fall a sort of sad smile that had an undertone of joy, “I really do want to be real mother, the thought of little ones scampering about playing makes me feel happy and sad at the same time, that wouldn't be so bad if my emotions weren't such jumbled mess I need an hour of meditation every day to just keep them at manageable levels.”

“Sorry about that,” said Spotlight Flutter, “I knew I would be treading in dangerous territory with that question, but I just wanted to know.”

“Take whatever you want with you when you head back home,” said Silver Fall getting up from the table and seeing Bluebell Sonata had cleared her plate, “I'm going to take Sonata back to her parents then have words with her father.”

“But daddy hasn't met you yet,” said Bluebell Sonata, “he might have a bad reaction.”

“Then it's a good thing that everypony that grew up here knows about what I really am,” said Silver Fall as she lifted the filly up with her tail and set Bluebell Sonata on her back with a gentle, yet mischievous, smile.

“I like her more than ever,” now said Spotlight Flutter as Star Tome started loading food stuffs into the empty side of her saddlebags. And Silver Fall with Bluebell Sonata on her back headed to town


*********************************************

It was now day of the family event and while Spotlight Flutter and Star Tome were rather excited Crimson skies and Lightning Twists brothers were approaching nervous wreck territory, mostly because they were told within seconds of the mares calling a family meeting after lunch with Silver Fall that everything Lightning Twist had told them about her was true. I idea that a dragon could have an ability that partially lined up with stories of changelings was bad enough, but the fact that both mares actually liked her was far more terrifying. Star Tome wasn't interested enough an most individuals she encountered to actually like them and Spotlight Flutter had practically built a reputation on disliking others over the course of her career, on and off the the walk.

They were at one of the most expensive restaurants in Cloudsdale, Skyline Show (a restaurant owned by the Wonderbolts and used almost exclusively by the Wonderbolts and Cloudsdale elite), and waiting at their private room (which had cost Crimson Skies almost half his total pay for a month) for Lightning Twist and Silver Fall. When the two finally trotted up all three of the other stallions dropped their jaws with wide eyes, Silver Fall's pony form was defineatly a beauty to start brawls over (at least to them). Instead of her usual cutie marks Silver Fall instead had an image of a multicolored serpentine dragon (in the same color scheme as her father) wrapping around the top of rainbow colored pearl, she was also her rainbow pearl on her neck on a platinum chain like a necklace.

Soon as the two were in the room and it was closed the first words of out, with a hot menace that sent a shiver down the spines of everypony was, “one crack at how this pearl is the backup payment plan and their will be terrifying consequences.”

“Um, why?” in inquired Star Tome.

“Let's just say it's a dragon thing and leave it at that for now,” said Silver Fall, “I really don't want to talk about with anypony now, or ever if I have the option. That might change, but for now just leave it at that.”

“Works for me,” said Spotlight Flutter, “mostly because you look gorgeous with that deep violet mane and tail, your cutie mark is beautiful, and that pearl just compliments your coat fabulously. Why I bet you could be one of Equestria's most desirable models.”

“Sorry, I'm perfectly happy with mu current means of income,” said Silver Fall picking up the menu with her wings.

“All the better,” said Crimson Skies picking up his menu in his hooves.

His wife gave him an incredulous look at his sons gave him gave him a surprised look while his daughter was occupying her time with menu and showed no reaction other than, “Silver Fall I think it would be best for you to temporarily show your little secret after appetizers and drinks have been served.”

“Seems reasonable,” said Silver Fall, “when is the waiting staff sending in somepony? I've decided on my beverage.”

“They should have had somepony waiting at our table the moment before the door closed,” said Crimson Skies, something is off.”

“Considering their service is top notch, I'm inclined to agree with my husband,” said Spotlight Flutter furrowing her brow.

Lightning Twist and his brothers trotted up to the door and tried to push it open, only to find it wouldn't move. Blackout turned to the rest of the tabled individuals and said, “it's locked, I was there with mom and we insisted that the room not be locked at any time during our visit here, she was insistent on it.”

“That's because of your mother's claustrophobia,” said Crimson Skies, “she doesn't do well in confined spaces for a prolonged period of time.”

“Well, looks like you're getting those meditation lessons earlier than I wanted, and under circumstances not quite what I would like,” said Silver Fall. They all stared at her, then Spotlight Flutter and Star Tome gave her big grins while the stallions looked at her with utter confusion.

“Um, what's she going to be doing again?” inquired Blackout.

“Teaching us a technique for keeping ourselves calm no matter what situation,” said Spotlight Flutter, her grin growing even more, then Silver Fall started the session.

“This is one of the easier meditation techniques,” said Silver Fall, “first sit in a position feels most comfortable,” everypony followed the instruction (the stallions mostly out of curiosity), “now close your eyes and take deep, steady, slow breaths,” the sound of slow deep, yet even breaths, filled the room, “good, now let all your tensions and anxieties out with outward breath and let the calming energies in with inward breath.”

Twenty minutes they all opened their eyes twenty minutes later to see Silver Fall in a relaxed sitting position appearing to barely breath, with a look of serene calm on her face. “That felt nice,” said Star Tome, “and that helped clear my mind.”

“Well, now I can't get into trouble with my superiors like I used to,” said Crimson Skies.

“Taking you long enough,” Spotlight Flutter teased.

“As touching as our family moment is,” said Thunder Kick, “we're still locked in a private room.

“I was hoping that you would all be relaxed from having food in your stomaches before I did this again,” said Silver Fall, “but it looks like that won't be the case, so here I go,” with that she underwent her change again growing to full size (the room was large enough for her to do that without crushing anypony or thing, although she did have to wrap around the table a few times). Crimson and Skies, Blackout, and Thunder Kick just stared at the serpent-like figure that also seemed to have a torso that resembled a panther. Her snowy indigo eyes resting on Crimson Skies, almost daring him to say or do something stupid. After a few minutes she returned to pony form and gave everypony an amused smile.

Blackout was the first to talk with a rushing voice saying, “we need inform the papers, tell them about this, all of Equestria needs to know, the Princess needs to know.”

“Sorry Black,” said Star Tome that's not going to happen, can imagine what her life would be like if that were to happen? I can, she wouldn't get enough free-time to herself. Then she couldn't properly tend her garden, and all the ponies that have visited her wouldn't get another good day for months.”

“Mustang would be treated as tourist trap instead of the quaint little town it is,” said Spotlight Flutter, “not mention all the residents being heckled by reporters.”

“Then there's the question of how long I've been there, the families I've encountered wouldn't see peace for a long time,” said Silver Fall, “think of the foals of those families, you can't do that to them. You interrupt their lives in the worst way possible. Citrus Song and Bluebell Sonata a two that I've encountered recently, they're from Canterlot and...”

“You met the Citrus Song,” came a surprised voice from Spotlight Flutter, “she's one of the greatest composers of music in Canterlot's history, she was an instructor at the Canterlot Music Academy until about 12 years ago, what happened to her?”

“She had a foal,” said Silver Fall, “Bluebell Sonata is her daughter, also something caused her lose her sight, I haven't asked about that.”

Spotlight Flutter's ears drooped, “I know what having foal can do to a career,” said solemnly, “but I never imagined she would lose her sight. When I was at charity event she was also attending she had such vibrant and sharp eyes and noticed the smallest details other seemed to miss, whatever caused her lose her sight must of caused her to feel a tremendous loss of confidence in her craft. I'm sure the birth of daughter eased some of that, do you know her father?”

“I only met him once,” said Silver Fall, “he didn't take the sight of me well, but his friends in Mustang got a good laugh at his reaction to me. His name Teal Fortissimo.”

“Really, I've heard some of his work, he's one of Canterlot's biggest music critics. I hear his critiques can make or break anypony's music career,” said Blackout, “so he started a family, wonder why nopony printed a story on that? It would have been big news.”

Just as they were about continue further the door swung open to reveal six pegasi in all black uniforms that even covered their wings with dark brown goggles hiding eyes. They seemed to focus on Silver Fall's pearl and the one on the far right said in deep masculine voice with a refined tone, “Alright everypony turn over all your bits and jewelry.”

“Not happening,” said Crimson Skies with an air of authority.

“Really,” said the pony on the far left with an airy voice that had country twain, “watcha gonna do?”

“If you must know I'm Crimson...” they started closing door before he could finish his name, only for it be thrown open by Silver Fall with strong kick. Crimson Skies didn't waste any time and flew out of the private room at speed so great that it was miracle nothing on the table was knocked around by his backdraft. Before they knew it all four pegasi were up against the wall and held tight.

Before Crimson Skies could say anything else a refined voice with Canterlot accent said, “and that's it fillies and gentlecolts,” a pegasus royal guard with stopwatch around his neck trotted in, “you four call yourselves the best practice ponies, this is a joke. I chose this facility when I learned Crimson Skies would be here.”

The six took off their goggles to reveal four royal guard pegasi and the one in center said in a refined Cloudsdale accent, “sorry Crim, they wanted run some exercises and thought we'd get better reaction if you weren't in the loop, also sorry about doing this to your family, we'll cover the bill for your meal if it's any consolation.”

Crimson Skies narrowed his eyes and said, “I expect a full report on this on my desk tomorrow, including why this exercise was kept away from me until it happened in full detail.”

“A reasonable request,” said the royal guard with stopwatch.”

“They just had to ruin my official introduction to my fillyfriend,” said Lightning Twist with amusement while shaking his head, at this all seven royal guard pegasi facehoofed and six turned their attention to the one that had apologised to Crimson Skies.

“All I got out of it was it was family meal,” said the central pegasus, “when I tried to press further I was just told it was none of my business and to leave it alone.”

“Alright,” said the guard with a stopwatch, “next time we run this sort of exercise I want a more detailed report from more guard members, I'm surprised your the only one pressed for information about the event that was happening here. I am very disappointed in the rest of you for not trying varify any of this or the reason for the family gathering. Well, I guess what you're all doing next month,” a collective groan came from the other six royal guards, “as for you Crimson Skies, not only will we cover your meal costs, but we will also give you substantial bonus for showing these rookies what it means to do your job, even when your off the duty.”

“Thank you sir,” said Crimson Skies giving the stopwatch guard a salute. The rest of the evening passed without incident, and was in fact delightful. The only other surprise was Silver Fall's manners, which showed the kind of refinement one would expect from nobility. All in all it wasn't the worst meet the family dinner.

Author's Note:

Well, I decided get a lot out there this time. I think this might one of the longest chapters I've managed to write so far. As always constructive criticisms are welcome and if you want to use any of the original characters for anything let me know. I hope that someone does indeed ask about using at least one of my OCs sometime soon, but in likliehood that won't happen. Also it's Halloween season, I might do a Nightmare Night chapter, who knows.