• Published 30th Dec 2014
  • 2,152 Views, 132 Comments

Unforgotten - Riddle-Me-Think



The past should not be forgotten, note should it blind us to what the future may hold. With the new change in statuesque between ponies and their new channeling neighbors, the past may be the answer to help set an understanding.

  • ...
8
 132
 2,152

Things to Come

I do not own My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic


Nearly two weeks had passed since the two scouts were sent out, and only a few messages were sent from the first week before they adroitly stopped. Sardonic was growing impatient with the lack of reports coming in, and could only bare his fangs and hiss angrily as he starred out his window overlooking his clan hive.

They are either dead, or incompetent. Was all the clan head to the Salient thought, what other reasoning would there be for such tardiness in their reports?

He came up with the thought that they the two scouts were laying low from some discovered changelings that turned out to be hostel. This was brushed aside as they would have left the area and reported it within a few days. Another thought was there was no means to send messages, but Sardonic knew that a good number of griffin settlements had at least one postoffice of some sort to keep in contact.

It doesn’t matter. Sardonic breathed in calmly, If they are lost, then there is nothing I can do. The clan must come first. Letting out his gathered breath and continuing to scan his home. If they are too weak, they have no place in this clan. Only the strong are allowed here. The weak will only slow us down.

Satisfied with this, the clan head to the Salient went back to the files before him, opening the first one pertaining to possible knights to use in the coming harvest. His eye began to twitch however, as the contents of the file were pertaining to the clans overall numbers and estimated future children to be hatched.

With a irritated sigh, Sardonic thought, but first, to find out why so many of our files are a complete mess!


Sitting with a cup of tea in her hooves and eyes glaring down at the wooden surface of the table, Roma could not properly tell was she was feeling. In front of her sat Masquerade, who waited for the mare to respond to his latest bit of news concerning Cinder Lock and the events that had happened.

“So we almost had the wrong guy…” Roma stated, sounding forlorn at the idea of not having the right target. Admittedly, she might have killed the innocent pony and not have given a single thought about it. Maybe sheepishly smile and say ‘oops’, but not feel too guilty over it… much…

Sighing and giving a nod, Masquerade said, “When we returned home, Celestia had sent a letter informing us that yes, the rouge was a blood caster, and escaped with around twenty additional kills.” Looking agitated at the thought of the rouge changelings escape.

Seemingly glaring at the changeling heir, Roma snorted, “You should have let me kill him, an’ not let Sparkles get in the way.” Even more angry at the fact the one who attacked Rarity was now free and roaming around someplace.

Mask just sat in thought, partially wanting to agree with the violent mare, but also knowing that following that idea would have caused problems. A line of unforeseen events all collapsing down when you least expect it.

He sighed, thinking of the day where they found out about the truth of what happened. Along with the Cutie Mark Crusaders, who somehow found the same evidence, but panicked not knowing the full story. Then there was the whole situation of having the zebra shaman keep quite on the whole investigation… Can none of my plains in Ponyville go right? The stallion was becoming highly suspicious that Ponyville was cursed in some way.

Glancing up, Masquerade was starting to wish he had some tea as well, while telling Roma, “You also do know, that now we know Cider Lock was technically used, that you can't hurt him. Right?” Trying to make it clear to the mare not to try anything on the victimized pony.

With a dismissive wave of her hoof, Roma said, “Relax. Long as he doesn't get anywhere near Marshmallow, I'll be good.”

“For our sake, as well as his, I hope you do.” Mask sternly said to the mare, “I'm already feeling close to my wits end with making sure the Crusaders understood the trouble they were in, and helping sort out those imprisoned mares. I had to put two of them under an illusion, just to keep them calm.”

Roma merely sipped her tea, listening in slight boredom to the stallion grouse over his latest bit of troubles. Granted, she understood his irritation, as it nearly marked a failure to most changelings to not notice such a danger in their own home.

“And Zecroa, I think that zebra was the only good point out of that mess!” Masquerade went on a bit further, venting a bit of his frustration before burying his fave into his hooves, “At lease she was willing to keep tight-lip over this whole thing.”

Smirking a little, Roma said teasingly, “Aw, is the whittle spy getting all tuckered out and throwin' whittle tantrums?” Feeling a feral smirk work it's way onto her features as the black pony gave her a slightly tiered glare.

With a snort, Roma told the infiltrator, “Hey, I get it.” Putting an elbow on the table to lean on her hoof, “You're frustrated and want to beat on something. An' I would agree, this whole thing got the lot of us all frazzled, and you're just trying t' keep it together like a good little heir.”

Holding his glare a bit longer, Masquerade eventually sighed and nodded, “It's a curse. Twilight's job is to keep an eye on us changeling sin Ponyville, so I'm obligated to help with that.”

With a grunt, Roma downed the rest of her tea and got up form her seat saying, “Yea, I get it, life's not fair. Thanks for the info, Scarecrow. I’ll be sure to keep an eye on Rarity a bit longer before movin' out.” Leaving for the front door of the library.

“Sure thing Roma.” Masquerade nodded to the tan mare, watching as she left down the stairs. “Oh, and Roma.” The stallion called out, stopping Roma from leaving his sight, “Thanks for being my verbal punching bag.”

With another one of her smirks, Roma told, “Hey, somepony's gatta' keep you sane. You an' Sparkles are the only ones keeping us changelings from killing each other if things get rough.” Turning away to leave for Rarity's home.

Hearing the resounding slam of the door, Masquerade went back to starring at the table in deep thought. Folding his hooves on the table and leaning his head on them, Mask closed his eyes to ponder on things further.

The whole situation had gotten him worked up, and made the Malek rouge realize that despite Ponyville having a defense, it was completely in shambles. The changelings in Ponyville got along just fine, but they did not have the same focus or mindset that a clan did. He knew that without some form of unity, they wouldn't be able to repel more serous threats, or know what to look for in said threats.

I need something to get them to become closer like a clan...maybe even work them into becoming one. It was a possible thought to the infiltrator, but not one easily done. Clans had heirs for heads for a reason, and there were only four on Ponyville that could be used.

There's me, but I really don't feel like starting my own clan, not with how things are at the moment. Masquerade thought a bit sourly, not sure how to feel about that line of though. Ivory and Ebony are technically still part of the Gem clan, and I don't think Sham would feel generous enough to let in common rouges and survivors into his clan... the stallion knew the only way the Gem twins could help form a clan under themselves, is to cut themselves off from their current clan. Something they weren't ready for yet.

Then there is Trace, last heir to the Frisk clan, and has two guardians from the same clan. With another sigh, Mask shook his head in thought, he's too young, just barely in his teenage years. Has no experience with leading and doesn't have the discipline, influince or strength to backup his position.

In short, Masquerade knew that besides his own reluctance, he would be the best choice at the moment. None of the other heirs could do anything to help unite all the commons in Ponyville under one name that is to be their clan, as one was too young, and the last two would want to keep their clan status. There was also the fact that they would have to hollow out an underground cavern to help establish a good hive for a real clan unity, or the materials or flora needed to add that variation of home.

Hearing a cheeping sound, Masquerade opened his eyes and could only stare at the small and innocent gaze belonging to small red chick. With another cheep, the small bird hopped from the table to Masquerade’s nose, tilting it’s head left to right, ever so curiously.

Putting aside his current thoughts, Masquerade intoned tiredly, “Hello Peewee.” slightly smiling to himself saying to the phoenix chick, “Did you come to visit me?”

Giving a happy chirp, the little bird made a few more hops from the stallions nose to his head and sat down in the slightly messy mane. The young bird nestled itself deeper into the greenish-blue mane and relaxed, seemingly taking a nap.

Looking up to where Spike’s small fiery pet had made himself comfy, Masquerade sighed and went back to thinking. He absently wondered where Spike was, seeing as this was his charge to look over. But with all the things that have happened, Mask guessed that the young drake was catering to Rarity in some way.

While the stallion thought to himself, Twilight made her way up the stairs leading to the second floor, holding a box in her magic while calling, “Mask ,there’s a package for you!” Looking about the room and spotting the most peculiar sight.

Masquerade, who heard the mare’s call, raised his head up and and looked towards Twilight’s direction, saying, “Package for me?” A little confused when he noted the lavender pony giggling.

When the dark pony rose a brow in confusion, Twilight found herself laughing loudly at the sight of Peewee nesting in her colt friend's mane, while the stallion looked utterly lost at her reason for laughing. Calming back down into small giggles, Twilight said, “Yes, here.” Trying her best to stifle her amusement.

Lighting his horn, Masquerade floated the package over to himself, doing a number of spells to help analyze the box for any threats. While he did so, Twilight made her way next to him, glancing at the small phoenix chick napping on the stallions head, saying, “I see you and Peewee are getting along nicely.”

Satisfied that the box was in no way boobytraped in any way, Masquerade went about unboxing it for it’s contents saying, “I don’t mind. He’s not really bothering me, so I have no trouble with Peewee.” Gaining a grin on his features as he said, “About time this got here!”

Hearing this, Twilight curiously looked to what her stallion took out of the box, only to noticed something was being put around her neck. With a small click, Twilight felt the the weight of a chain rest around her neck, making her glance down. used her magic to grasp at what was weighing the chain down, Twilight saw a iron pendent in the shape of a book, which seemed to have a slight glow of her pink magic.

Still holding his grin, Mask said, “I knew it look nice on you Twinkles. Brings out your eyes.” Glad that his gift was not lost when he sent it through the mail during his last mission.

Looking at the small book pendent, Twilight asked, “When did you get this?” Looking over the small engravings that slightly glowed with her magic, “And how is it doing that?” Trying her best to figure out where Masquerade had found such an item.

Smirking, Mask said, “Found it during my last mission and thought of you. I had sent it to the Lue so they could help add a few features to it.” Putting a hoof over the lavender unicorns shoulder and kissing her forehead saying, “You like?”

Smiling at the gift, Twilight let it drop and say, “Yes. Thank you.” Returning with a slightly more passionate kiss to her stallions lips. She felt the slightest of smirks work it’s way on her locked-lips, almost able to feel the stallion just give in to her feelings of love.

Almost like putty in my hooves. Twilight gigged in thought, pulling away with a slight blush and saying, “So, what are these small glow lines. They almost look like some ruins.”

Having a pleased smile, Mask was quick to return to reality and tell his fillyfriend, “That’s because it is a ruin. I asked the Lue if they could add a tracking enchantment to it.” Using his magic to pull a small slip of paper from the box saying, “They even sent a small letter of instructions to show us how to track it.”

Looking down at the pendant, Twilight thought about what the stallion said before smirking, “You just wanted another way to track me down, didn't you?”

Trowing his hooves up, Masquerade admitted, “Guilty as charged.” Not bothering to try hiding the fact, “I thought it would be a good idea if something were to happen.” Nodding at his line of thinking.

“That’s sweet Mask.” Twilight laughed lightly while snatching the small slip of paper from Masquerade, saying, “Now, are you ready to read these instructions with me?”

Glancing up to his head, Mask said while pointing to the small phoenix chick, “Do you think Peewee will be able to keep his beak shut on it’s workings? I don't want anypony else having a way to know how to track you down.”

Looking up to the soundly sleeping baby bird, Twilight smirked, “I think our secrets safe with him, Mask.”


After reading the instructions of how the tracking spell worked and some basics on how the pendant’s ruin’s worked —not to mention a few warnings of overloading it with magic— the two unicorns eventually left for the lab under the library.

After reading a bit on how her new neckless worked using runes with different magical arrays, Twilight had an inspirational idea. She tugged the stallion to follow her down to the lab, excited at the thoughts she had buzzing inside her head. Masquerade followed with some sense of curiosity and amusement at the mare’s excitement. Masquerade was also sure to place Peewee on a perch, not wanting to have the small phoenix chick near the lab equipment.

When they reached the lab, Twilight began using her magic to collect a number of tools, some drawing tools and even a few notes she had. All the while, she spoke, “After going over the letter of how the magic worked with my new pendant, I had a thought that we could use the same idea for our project.” Quickly making a crude neckless with some cord she had laying around and tie it to a metal plate.

Looking around, Twilight asked, “Mask, where’s the original notes on that Invisibility spell? You know, the unmodified version?” Using her magic to sort through a number of notes she had picked up.

With some measure of calm, Mask walked over to his normal work space in the mares workroom and picked up a small stack of papers. Sending them over to the franticly searching mare, Twilight gave a quick thanks, putting the other notes aside and laying out the ones she was given.

Wandering over to where Twilight was quickly going over the notes in front of her, Mask read them at a more sedated pace and began to piece together what his fillyfriend was up too. Looking from his gift to the mare and to the hastily hanging metal plate, he then glanced to the drawing supplies and notes.

Creasing his browse, Masquerade said, “You want to make an item enchanted to use the invisibility spell, using runic array?” Both fascinated by the idea, and confused on how they would accomplish it. He, after all, had little practice in enchanting things, and even little knowledge in ruins.

“Even better!” Twilight chirped as she continued reading through the notes before her saying, “I want to test out a few ideas to help convert your changeling magic into something that would stabilize more pony oriented magic.” Taking the metal plate down from where it hung and making some prototype ruins for testing.

Masquerade blinked once. Then twice. Then thrice.

“Did I ever tell you how much I love you?” Mask finally said, realizing the full implications of what Twilight had said. The limitation he had with unstable spell casting of pony magic was a small sore spot to him. But knowing that there was a possibility to do said magic without the whole ‘hazard to ones life’ was mind boggling.

“Yep.” Was Twilight’s quick reply, too engrossed in her work to really register what the stallion said. Already the she was making the final touches on the circle she had draw, and was ready to test it. But first, some extra safety permitters for controlled testing.

With a sudden burst of magic, Twilight was gone in a flash of teleportation and on the other side of the lab, collecting more equipment. she quickly ran to another space of the lab, clearing out some floor space and setting it up. Not even a few moments after that was done, and the mare was once more gone in a flash of magic.

Mask was left looking about for the mare, before there was a bright flash of magic next to him, as Twilight returned with a number of books, saying, “Here!”

Given little choice, Masquerade used both hooves and magic to take all the books shoved onto him, while Twilight said, “Put those to the side and maybe read up on some of them.” Already rushing to another part of her lab saying, “I know that you used to get only C’s and B‘s on magical arrays and ruin crafting in school. Best to read up on those. Oh, and maybe take a few peeks at enchanting too, you always seemed to have trouble in that subject—”

Good Anarchy, it’s like those study seasons Twinkles put me through in school! Masquerade thought with some horror, glancing down at all the books shoved into him. With a wary sigh, Mask began sorting through the books and picking one to do a little reading. This information was going to be needed shortly, so best he try gleaning what he can while Twilight was occupied with doing preliminary tests.


Spike whistled to himself as he swung to the music in his head, dusting off each shelf along the way. He occasionally stopping to rearrange a misplaced book, or move one aside to get to the dust hiding behind it. The day had been rather quite, and no sight of the unicorn couple had been in sight. Though, the young drake was not going to complain. The library wasn't cluttered with mountains of books and he didn’t feel like somepony was stalking him from some shadow.

Part of him wondered if he should be worried about either of the two missing, but decided it was non-important. Twilight could be out with a list of things, and Masquerade with her. He reasoned, keeping most of his focus on cleaning while the two were gone.

Moving to the next section of the library, Spike continued with his dusting and arranging of books— just to stop short when he came to a large gap. Looking at the large gapping space where there use to be books, Spike finally remembered what was suppose to be there.

Scratching his head, the small dragon wondered were most of, —if not all— of the books on runes, magic arrays and even enchanting had vanished to. He knew nopony in town that would study that many books, and Twilight wasn’t upstairs or in the main room studying…

Where did they go off to? The purple dragon continued to scratch his scaly head while glancing about. He saw Peewee sitting next to a sleeping Owlicious, neither bird seemingly paying attention to anything.

Casting a look over his surroundings one last time, Spike shrugged and decided to ask his adoptive sister later. After all, if anypony knew where those went off two, it would be her.

Making his way up the stared to the second floor, Spike missed the ruckus that was coming from the closed door that lead to the lab just below. With an ever growing noise, sounds of stubbornness and whining mixed.

“But we can still keep going!” Twilight’s desperate voice soon punched through the wooden door, “I really think I found a way to increase the efficiency between the magical input and circulation before becoming the external layer for later output spell casting!”

The door was enveloped in a green glow before being thrown open, and a more adamant voice belonging to Masquerade responded, “No. We have been working nonstop for nearly twenty hours! You need to rest, I need rest, WE need rest!”

Soon enough, a slightly tiered looking Masquerade walked his way up the stairs with a magically restrained Twilight, who was trying to get out of his grasp saying, “A few more cups of coffee will be enough for me. Now put me down, I have more testing to do! Just a few more tests Mask, only a few more and we will have it!”

“N. O. NO!” Mask continued to hold the struggling mare, “I could go a few days without rest because I’m a changeling, but that doesn't mean it’s good for me.” Looking over his shoulder, he continued, “Your a pony, so you need to get at least eight hours of sleep every fourteen hours or so. Other wise you will become sleep deprived!”

Seeing that she was losing her argument, Twilight stammered, “But-but-but…Science!”

“Sleep.” Mask shot back.

“Long lasting invisibility!” Twilight continued to pleaded.

“Time to organize thoughts.” Mask countered, continuing his trek up the stairs.

“Able to cast teleportation!” Twilight tried to change the stallion’s mind.

“I waited for most of my life, I can wait a few more hours.” Mask once more shot the mare down, passing up a confused Spike who watched the proceedings with confusion.

Looking frantic, Twilight began lighting her horn and readied to teleport— her focus was broken when she felt something smack her flank, causing surprise. “No teleporting.” Masquerade ordered her while going up up the stairs that lead to her room.

With a huff, Twilight eventually gave up letting her coltfriend carry her into her room. When close enough, she felt herself be lifted by Masquerade’s unique changeling magic and deposited onto her bed. Before she could even move, her blanket was placed over her body and tucked tightly around her.

Looking down, she felt that she was being restrained or tied to the bed, rather than being tucked in. She considered escape, but looking to her left she could see Masquerade, sitting there and watching her.

Sending magic into his horn, Masquerade began crafting a spell while he stared intently into his filliyfriend’s eyes and said, “Sleep.” Masking his magic flash and cast the illusion he had made.

Rather suddenly, Twilight felt her resolve and zeal quickly begin to wane, starting to feel tiredness overtake her body. With a yawn, Twilight relaxed into the suddenly soft bed and warm covers. It was with a quick realization that the stallion did a spell. Cheater… Was all twilight could think before both her tired body and magical spell put her to sleep.

Masquerade watched as the mare slowly drift off into sleep, her breathing getting lighter and lighter before she seamed completely at peace. He wondered for a moment why he didn't do that in the first place, and started to think that he was more tired then he thought.

Sighing, Masquerade shook his head and just watched Twilight sleep, gaining a soft smile, he thought, just get some rest Twinkles. You need it. Then turned and left the room, closing the door quietly as he left.

Going down the stairs and reaching the second floor, Masquerade heaved a tired sigh, shaking his head to try and keep awake. glancing to his right, he noticed that Spike was giving him a confused look, as if asking what that was all about. With a smirk, Mask said simply, “Extended study season.”

Spike gave a silent nod in understanding, going back to cleaning while Masquerade continued on to the main floor. Giving a sigh, he headed for his workplace, gathering up the pillows there and plopping down with a small grunt. Letting out a yawn, he closed his eyes to get some needed rest.


A constant tap resounded around the dark room that was lit with green light from torches and small magical light sources. Two cat-like eyes glanced down at the small letter on the desk, making Sardonic scowl at the implications of it even being there.

Some how, after all this time and belief that they were gone, a letter from the two scout he had sent. The same scout that had stopped sending reports for nearly two weeks, jolly to suddenly send one now. Part of Sardonic wanted to just leave the letter aside for latter, and focus on more important things than his tardy scout’s repot.

But the clan head also realized that it was possible they hit a huge problem, and it was only now they were able to get any messages out. It could be important. Enough so, that it may change how I handle the harvest that was set back. Gritting his teeth a little when thinking of his plans, recalling how a number files were not only misplaced, but even lost some time back.

Stupid drones, always making messes whiteout any supervision! Sardonic irritably thought, ripping open the letter and reading it’s contents. He remained silent as he continued to read on, feeling his frown becoming more darker by that moment. With a sneer, he threw the letter onto his desk, glaring down at it heatedly.

Ponies. Those two got captured by ponies, and are now suggesting peace talks! Having a deep scowl on his face, Sardonic hissed, “We don't need them. We don’t need an alliance with them. The only thing they could offer up is food, something we can take with our own power.”

But it was still concerning to the clan head, knowing that his scouts had been captured by ponies some how. He had no clues as to how that was possible, as his scouts were sent more deeper into the griffin kingdom; far away from where Equestria was. There was also the fact of the alicorn of the sun residing in the pony controlled lands. True to his beliefs, the ponies themselves were weak and unable bodies, who's only lot in life was to be their constant fuel source. But the alicorn… or rather alicorns, that lived there… In terms of power, they will be a threat, no matter what.

He didn’t like it. The idea of something potentially more powerful and influential than him, and wanting peace? No, they want something from us. I can see it as some trick to make us come out. But would they really go to all that trouble to destroy us?

Shaking his head, Sardonic resolved, No, they can’t be trusted. Those alicons will either destroy us or subjugate us. I will not turn into their lapdog!

Glancing down and taking the letter back up into his magical grasp, Sardonic began to plan how he would deal with this new problem. Ventral and Iota were apparently wanting to have him come to them and work out some kind of peace treaty. The idea seems stupid to him, until he thought about something they had mentioned. To help insure peace, the two scouts suggested abut the sending of some of his changelings to help ‘safeguard their allies’ incase of potential threats. By political dealing, the Princesses’ would be required to do the same, sending some of their ponies to live amounts his clan.

Maybe I can work something from this… Sardonic pondered to himself, thinking more deeply on the subject in a logical view. I already am aware of a few changelings not likening how I run things. They are no trouble yet, but sooner or later they might try something.

With a smirk, the clan head thought, I can use this. Send off those traitors before they can do anything. When the ponies come, I can hold them in my custody, and the Princess can’t do the same with those I send, since their going to betray my clan anyways!

Lighting his horn, Sardonic took both paper and quill into his magic, adding some flourish as he wrote a response. He had to laugh at that. Him, responding to a group of beings that were merely food to him. A truly humorous thought!