• Published 30th Dec 2014
  • 2,142 Views, 132 Comments

Unforgotten - Riddle-Me-Think



The past should not be forgotten, note should it blind us to what the future may hold. With the new change in statuesque between ponies and their new channeling neighbors, the past may be the answer to help set an understanding.

  • ...
8
 132
 2,142

Around the Royals

I do not own My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic


As the time for night drew nearer and nearer, the princess of the night awoke, feeling her internal clock wake her from her slumber of the day. Rising from her bed and spreading her wings, Luna let out a small yawn covered by a hoof before opening her turquoise eyes. With a small jump off her bed, she held her regal stance while moving out into the evenings light on her balcony.

Looking out to the city below her, Luna could see the citizens of Canterlot move about and ready for the night that would approach. Every now and then, she would catch sight of a few ponies setting up telescopes, more then ready to do some star gazing for the night to come. It was a welcoming sight and warming feeling to know that the ponies of this era loved the night with a new perspective.

Looking to her sisters tower, Luna could see Celestia out on her balcony, already in place to oversee the night being brought out. This made a small smile to grace Luna’s otherwise hard expression she often wore, lighting her horn to will the moon to move. Like all other times, she could feel the sun already making it’s way down, already in motion from her sisters coxing. This made rising the moon and the night to follow slightly more easy, as the sun’s light did not conflict too greatly with her night.

Finished with this task and making sure the stars were in place, Luna turned back into her chambers, and went to one of her closed dressers to retrieve her regal. Placing the obsidian breastplate on first, and then placing her hooves in the silver slippers. Turning to the desk that held a number of scrolls and books that held this ages newly crafted spells, sat her tiara. With only the smallest bit of will, Luna brought the obsidian tiara over to herself, looking into it’s reflective surface.

Looking into it intently, she could not help but think back to earlier that morning before she went to sleep for the day. Masquerade’s words of her being a more proper leader for those few changelings made her wonder. Why was the rouge Malek so insistent that he was not the best choice for such a task? After all, she was a pony not a changeling like he, who knew of their culture, their traditions and way of living.

One must consider that Masquerade has motives behind his actions. Luna reminded herself, perhaps he is trying to do something more than pass up the chance to receive more power? Admittedly, Luna wasn't sure what angle the infiltrator might be trying with passing up the opportunity to have changelings under his command.

But thinking on it some, Luna also knew that she understood little when it came to changelings and their customs. After all, she and her sister had spent more time destroying the emotion sapping insect like race, than they did trying to understand them.

“A question to ask Opulent perhaps?” Luna mused to herself while placing the tiara on her head. If anypony had a clue as to why Masquerade refused the offer, then it should be another changeling. It only stood to reason that only a changeling would understand what another changeling did and their reasons for it. Preferably another changeling heir.

There were still a few other things, such as Masquerade’s reaction to how the Salient clan worked or his feelings of what he should have done. It was obvious he was conflicted. But if this conflict was because of his Malek upbringing, was unclear to her. It was also possible —though Luna did not like thinking about it— that Masquerade was putting up a act to hide his true feelings or reasons behind his choices.

With the changeling infiltrator, it was hard to tell.

Opening her chamber doors open, Luna nodded to her two thestral guards, giving an unspoken greeting to them before heading for the other balcony outside her chambers. Spreading her wings, Luna took flight and headed for the gardens below for a small stroll.

Luna cast her eyes about, taking in the number of sculptors of ponies long past, each holding a special place to her sister. Some were just pieces of art, while others were made in honor of both guards and scholars alike that had aided in Equestrias growth.

Stopping before one statue in particular and looking up at the long serpentine and mismatched statue before her, Luna could not help but jest with a bow, “How art thou, this fine evening Discord?” Rising up from her bow before trotting on with a the slightest smile. The dark alicorn wondered if the spirit of chaos could see or hear outside his stone prison at times. It certainly made her feel slightly less silly for doing such greetings or taunts to the unmoving lord of chaos.

She wandered the expansive gardens her sister seemed to enjoy during free hours, mostly with fiends or family around. Luna could spot all the places where tea parties could be laid out beneath a tree or gazebos that had many interesting discussions or talks. Luna had to wonder what it was like to just take time and enjoy life as it was, being around so many others to enjoy such occasions.

It was not that she couldn’t, she could very well do so at any given time. The only problem was she still knew very few ponies she could call actuarial friends, and most did not live near her location. Twilight was one such example, being a pen-pal for her to write to every so often. Opulent fit into this list some as well, generally curious about the not-so-known sister to Celestia and enjoying talks over their roles as leaders. The dark alicorn supposed that a few of the Canterlot elite could be considered friends, but Luna felt that acquaintances fit their description better.

Setting a course back inside the castle itself, Luna gave slight nods of acknowledgment to guard or servant she might have past. She used her magic to open the thick and large wooden doors, entering in and feeling her fur slightly shift from the warmer hall. Knowing dinner would be happening soon —or breakfast in her case— Luna began to wander the halls, taking her time to meet up with her sister in the dinning hall.

The alicorn took a moment to wonder if anypony else would be joining her sister and herself during the evening meal. Her niece Cadence and her new husband Shinning Armor were certainly welcomed. And though Luna didn't hold him in high regard, her sister’s nephew, prince Blue Blood, was fine compony at times.

Speaking of, there is our dear nephew now… Luna sarcastically thought, spotting the stallion waiting near one of the hallways. He put on a rather pleasant smile and nodded to her, falling into step next to the lunar princess.

While Luna kept a small eye on the young prince, Blue Blood said, “Good evening Aunt Luna, and might I say a splendid evening you have made today.” Holding his poise next to the taller pony next to him.

With equal elegance in her stride, Luna greeted in return, “A good evening to thee, Blue Blood. We thank you for thy approval of our work.” Slightly wondering if the prince was here by chance or by reason.

“Think nothing of it, my Aunt. Though you have been somewhat absent, your work here as co-ruler is still very much appreciated.” Blue Blood smoothly told, “Since your return, my work as an accountant for our treasury has improved. Seeing as you have freed up Aunt Celestia’s own workload.”

Giving a nod of acknowledgment, Luna agreed, “It seems to be trifling work for our sister, having to go through so many documents that hold back the more urgent matters needed to be attended to.” Turning her eyes to the pony next to her, “Taking some of those maters into our own hooves insures more speedy work and efficient leadership.”

Moving her gaze away, Luna seemed to ponder aloud, “Though, there are naysayers that we have become aware of since our return.” Thinking of the number of nobles that had somewhat shown disproval of Luna’s return. Since news of her return and past actions, not many nobles were willing to give the night princess a chance. It was by Celestia’s own grace that Luna had a been given a opening to show her goodwill.

“Ignore those rabble I say.” Blue Blood seemed to assert, “They have no say as to your standing next to Celestia. You are a royal by blood, and should be respected as such.”

Internally shaking her head, Luna told slightly reproachfully, “Blue Blood, our blood line means nothing in the long run, only our actions.” Seeming to go down into her memories to say, “We have committed crimes in history past, so the nobility have good reason to doubt us or be wary.”

“Though, I must thank thee for keeping faith in us, despite our past history.” Truthfully, Luna was slightly glad to know she had Blue Blood on her side on the political table as it were. Even if he may be an egotistical snob at times, he is also a loyal to Equestria and our sister. It was one of the prince’s main strong points, if he ever had one.

Bringing up a hoof and waving it, Blue Blood assured, “Not at all Aunt Luna. I trust Aunt Celestia’s word about your change of heart.” Refocusing his gaze to the two large doors leading to the dinning hall, “And as you said, actions prove’s one standing. So by Celestia’s actions, and in turn yours, was my faith ever misplaced?”

Luna’s lip ever so slightly twitched in amusement, able to draw a similarly to Blue Blood’s silver tongue and Masquerade’s own. She wondered what would happen if she ever stuck the two in the same room for a time. Something interesting if what we have heard is correct. This time, Luna did show the smallest hints of a smile.

The princess could recall a small bit of gossip about somepony insulting the prince to his face as it were, some time back. She couldn’t be sure if it was Masquerade, but from what Luna could overhear the maids saying in the halls. There were only a few she knew that had a black coat, with even fewer that were bold enough to try any insults towards nobility.

Something interesting indeed. Luna continued to hold her small smile, reaching out with her magic to push the dinning hall doors open for both her and Blue Blood to enter. Inside were already a few ponies milling about, mostly the servants going about their work on preparing the table for a meal.

There were other’s though, Cadence and Shinning Armor to be two such ponies. Another couple Luna was slightly surprised to see in the dinning hall were two nobles, Fancy Pants and Fluer. From what little she knew, Luna could recall that Fluer was one of her nieces friends from her teen youth, as well as a model. As for Fancy Pants, Luna was aware he was a business pony of a few trades, and being a rival to another compony known as Barnyard Bargains.

Hearing Blue Blood excuse himself from her presents, Luna was a bit surprised to see more ponies from the upper class. From what she could tell they were another married couple, two she was not all that familiar with. But form the looks of the prince, he knew them fairly well.

The stallion was of a grey coat and black curling mane, having a green shirt and white sweeter tied around himself. He smiled and gave a greeting to Blue Blood, fixing his glasses slightly upon his snout. The mare next to him was yellow, and had a smooth stylized fluffy mane with white and purple. She seemed to hold herself with an air of self importance, only slightly fixing her tied on pink sweater that was over her white shirt.

Looking about, Luna could not spot her sister among the gusts or servants, and was wondering where the day monarch was. She was most curious as to what the occasion was for the gathering of these ponies, seeing as guests during dinner were not a common occurrence.


Hours after she first came into the room, Ventral was woken up by a rather awake Iota, who was somewhat tapping on the older changeling’s chitin. The younger common was trying to keep herself slightly entertained as she waited for her clan sister to get some rest before catching up with her.

Ventral played with the idea of going back to sleep, maybe just wait until the next day to actually do much of anything. But with Iota on her back and tapping her exoskeleton to some beat she was humming, it was hard to keep focused.

Sighing and buzzing, it seemed to catch the younger scout’s attention and get her to stop her little song. Looking down, Iota said in some surprise, “Oh, you’re awake.” Getting off her clan sister that let out a small groan.

Tilting her head to the side, Iota said, “Still tired?” Seeing as Ventral continued to slump in place, unwilling to move for the extremely soft and warm bed they were on.

“Why do ponies make stuff so comfy?” Ventral muffled out from where she was laying, almost unwilling to get up, even if she was awake.

Iota giggled to what the older scout said, knowing exactly what she was getting at. The Salient clan was not huge on some comforts, and at most they had weaved hammocks for beds. Most other times, it was just a number of clansmen all piled in one place while all slept.

Giving Ventral a small push, the younger changeling told, “Come on, if your awake enough we should go see the princess.” Jumping off the bed and making her way over to the door.

With another groan of protest, Ventral slowly rose from her place and slowly walked off the bed and following Iota. The younger scout was already peeking out the door, apparently talking to someling on the other side. When Iota looked back in, she waved for Ventral to follow before exiting out.

She did as told, walking out the door to meet up with Iota and two guards that were apparently posted outside their guest room. Wow, was I really that tired that I didn’t notice them the first time through? A slightly concerning thought, now that Ventral thought about it.

With both guards acting as their guide’s, Ventral turned her attention to Iota, asking, “Is there a reason you’re wanting me to meet up with the princess again?” A little taken back at how cheerful Iota seemed, “I mean, what’s so important about seeing her?”

Giving Ventral a look, Iota told, “Ven, I think they want to help our clan.” Being as bluntly truthful with her clan sister, who looked too shocked to reply. But instead of waiting for a response, Iota continued, “When I first got here, I was being interrogated for information. But I wasn't really forced to tell them anything, and they seemed more interested in our clan as another group of ponies to make friends with.”

Blinking a few timed, Ventral pointed out, “But we’re changeling.” A little confused what Iota was trying to hint at.

Looking to the other scout, Iota told, “Ven, the princesses know and let a changeling clan live around here and out in the open with other ponies.” If this was not enough to shock the older scout, then Iota’s next words did, “And from what Luna told me, this clan is a prestige one.”

That sent Ventral spluttering some, “P-prestige clan!” Seeming to be much more awake now, “They have a prestige clan living with them!” Having trouble of wrapping her mind around the idea of such a large and powerful type of clan being out in the open like that.

“They actually know another, along with the one here.” Iota added with a nod, Seeming to boggle Ventral’s mind further. Tapping her chin some, Iota said, “I think they are friends with another clan, but I don't know what rank it is…”

Ventral stared at the younger scout for a good long while before asking, “And they work with the ponies willingly, even after the whole invasion thing?” Still trying to grasp the concept in her head.

“Actually, those two prestige clans helped defend Canterlot during the invasion.” Iota cheerfully told, only further confusing the elder sister of the two.

When did all of this get so confusing? Ventral thought while letting out a loud sigh. All this was suppose to be was a rescue of her clan sister. Only now, it turned onto some meetings with her and Celestia for what Iota believes are a possible path for peace.

Would that even work? The older scout had to wonder, I mean, sure peace is good, but would Sardonic even consider working with ponies? So far, the clan head only saw other races as a means to further the Salient clans ends. What could the princess offer to even make Sardonic consider making a deal with what he would consider a possible meal?

Seeing as they were reaching their destination, Ventral took in a breath and told Iota, “Well, let’s hope this princess means well.” Getting a confused glance from the younger scout, “Because I can't see a good reason to make friends out of our clan if they already have two powerful ones helping. We’re nearly small fry in their eyes.”

Even when the two guards began opening large doors leading to the thrown room they guarded, Iota said, “I think they were telling me the truth. I know I’m new to sensing out emotions, but I don't think they lied about that.”

Ventral very much hoped her clan sister was right, she really didn't feel up to knowing she and Iota might accidentally betray their clan. It would be a great insult to know that they were both responsible for their clans distraction if this played out wrongly for the both.

Before they could enter though, a number ponies made their way out, all talking over an apparent meeting they had just wrapped up. They however stopped at the sight of the two changelings, quickly changed their path and skirting around them in hushed tones. That alone did not bode well for Ventral on the status of changeling, pony relations.

Alright, Ventral almost gulped, into the manticor’s den.

Entering into the large room once more, Ventral could feel her wings vibrate with some anxiety at coming face-to-face with the princess again. Even if she had been before Celestia before, it still was unnerving to know she would be talking to the same being that had massacred her ancestors at one point in time.

Though when the scout laid eyes on the ever serene and kind image before herself, Ventral still could not help but be even slightly intimidated. The closest thing she could draw the feeling to was being in the presents of a changeling heir, they just radiated some form of power. But unlike Sardonic’s oppressive air, Celestia almost felt calm and controlled. Something to fear in itself, but not in a negative sense.

Stepping before the alicorn princess, Ventral said in a level voice that even surprised herself, “You wanted to ask me questions princess Celestia?” Feeling some relief when Iota took up the space to her left. Unlike herself though, Iota seemed calmer, apparently used to being around Celestia more then Ventral herself was.

With anouter kind smile on her features, Celestia smiled, “Of course.” Standing up from her thrown and opening her large white wings while descending the steps, “After Iota’s arrival and some reports from Double Take, I wished to speak to you and see if your clan was willing to open peace talks in the future.” Drawing near to the two scouts.

Walking until she was before the two, Celestia gestured with her head to the back door to the thrown room saying, “Care to join me on a small stroll?” Making it more of a subtle order then outright demand.

In a way, Ventral was fine with that. It was a nice change to Sardonic’s rather harsh or aggressive words that held nothing but demands. A subtle nudge that didn't really pressure her was a welcome change.

With a small nod, Ventral agreed, “That sound nice.” Turning to Iota asking, “What about you Iota?”

Nodding a bit more then her sister, Iota agreed, “Sounds good to me.” Openly smiling at the idea.

Seeing as both gave their consent on the idea, Celestia turned and made her way for the back entrance, leading the two changelings. She then called back to the guards over-watching the two changelings, “You both may leave, I can handle things from here.” Not seeming to give a backwards glance at the two guards that bowed and left out the main entrance.

They began their walk trough the halls that made up the castle before wandering out into the gardens where the two changelings began to take in their surroundings. Celestia seemed to gain some contentment when she saw their interest and wonder at the gardens she had worked to have grown in such a high place. The solar alicorn had to wonder if changelings had a love for nature she was not familiar with.

With the buzzing of wings, one of the two took off the ground and acceded up to a tree that was in bloom, taking in a deep breath of the flowers and their scent. Looking up to who it was, Celestia could not hold back her honest smile at the sight of Iota landing in the same tree and moving about it’s branches.

“Isn’t this pretty Ven?” Iota asked from where she was in the tree, her dark shell helping to hide her form in the tree branches. The only thing that stuck out was the changeling moving around and her reflective blue compound eyes.

Chuckling and clicking a little, Ventral agreed with her buzzing voice, “Yeah, this place is nice.” Wandering over to a bush and observing it some. The changeling couldn't help but taste the overall care that was put into the gardens around her, giving a fresh feel of life that was almost reminiscent of the clan.

Stopping and taking a seat in the soft grass, Celestia observed the two changelings enjoy the royal gardens around them. The animals that normally roam the area had taken notice of this intrusion and hid, apparently wary of the two changelings.

It was hard to believe these were the same changelings that the Quasi clan were so worried about. Opulent had said they were aggressive and might actually threaten her little ponies if given the chance. Celestia might have questioned on Opulent’s word, if it was not for Masquerade’s report he sent back before his return.

It was apparent that Opulent was right in her assumption that the Salient clan was a threat, but not to Equestria. It seemed that the head to this Salient clan was looking towards the Griffin Kingdom for some reason, as well as any changeling clans they had located.

The clan as a whole was still as warrior like as Opulent had described, showing their strength through battle and conflict and gaining glory from it. Though there were a few that did not seem to follow this same line of thought. The two scouts before the princess of the day were proof of that. They both showed a certain love and care for their surroundings, as well as for each other.

Then again, from what I understand, all changelings show a family like affection for their whole clan, no mater who they are. That was a warming thought Celestia liked about changelings so far. Their overall harmony with one another, despite the differences they might have. They still weren't nearly as perfect in this though, as they still showed great hostility towards changelings of other clans.

“Tell me Ventral.” Celestia addressed the older of the two changelings, “Why did you rush headlong into Equestria with my sisters agent, Double Take?” Posing it was a question, even if she knew the answer, “Do you changelings not work in teams to do something so delicate as a rescue?”

The question actually made Ventral paw at the ground with a hoof, feeling a bit sheepish for her rash actions. “I had to.” The scout told, “When Iota was taken, I knew I didn't have long before I lost track of her. So I had that Double Take guid me here.”

She gave a snort, saying in a depressed tone, “That guy’s pretty good at acting. Had me believing he was a coward that only looked out for his own hide. Should have known there was a motive to his actions…” Though no matter how Ventral looked at it, there was no way she could have seen through the ruse. She was only a scout after all, not a hunter, or a seeker, or even an infiltrator.

Raising a delicate brow, Celestia continued, “So if you had the time, you would have gathered those of your clan to stage a rescue for Iota?” Glancing up at the younger of the two and smiled, “It must be nice to know you have many others watching over you, correct?”

While Iota nodded form her place in the tree, Ventral remained quite and stared at the ground. She was sure that those in the clan would do their part to help Iota, all Ventral had to do was ask. But the current Clan head has to approve of such a thing. Ventral reasoned in her mind, Would he leave Iota alone with a clan we don't know about? In a logical standpoint, that might be the best option. But in terms of how she felt, Ventral could not stand for such an idea.

Celestia seemed to pick up on the changeling’s shift in mood, and said, “Is something troubling you Ventral?” Making the older scout to come out of her thoughts. Keeping tabs of how the changeling acted, Celestia continued, “You seemed to be bothered by something. Was it something I had said?”

“No.” Ventral shook her head, “I-It’s nothing.” Turning her head to the side muttering, “Just thinking about our clan head…”

Unfortunately for the changing, the alicorns hearing was better than she thought, and had almost instantly say, “Iota mentioned your clan head a few times.” Once more catching Ventral’s attention.

“From what I understand, he is a rather demanding leader, and is still new to his role as clan head?” Nearly saying this as if in thought, Celestia seemed to let her attention waver while she tapped her own chin with a slipper covered hoof.

Ventral only nodded silently, not sure how to take that rather accurate description. The smile Celestia gave next was of understanding, as she told, “Young leaders often become stressed with their new rules or workings they must deal with. Being demanding could be his way of trying to vent, without meaning to.”

Lifting her eyes up to the sky, Celestia could tell the time was drawing near for her to help the sun along to the horizon and help bring about night. With a sad smile, Celestia told, “I pry that he can find peace in his role. I know what stress, want and even jealousy can do to the mind of those in power.” Letting her eyes drift to the tows that was her sisters, softly saying, “It is even worse, when you see what it does to those you hold most dear.”

The way the princess talked, it made Ventral only question herself even more of how she was viewing her loyalty. Even Iota was giving off bits of agitate, as if thinking about something similar. Why does this sound so familiar? The older scout pondered, Why is it that the way Celestia talks, that it makes me only worry for my clan even more?

Chills seemed to rack over the changelings chitin, fearing she had a hunch what the long lived alicorn was conveying in her own way. Taking a gulp of air, Ventral asked, “W-what happens?” Catching the solar princess’s attention, “What happens to those leaders?”

Gaining a somber air, Celestia told, “They turn bitter.” Closing her eyes to think back in time, “They seclude themselves, begin to doubt others, or push away what they once pledged to protect, becoming uncaring of their strife.” Each word that was said seemed to strike at both changelings, an unseen force hitting their hearts through words and emotions heavy with guilt.

Ventral flet her breathing pick up, becoming heavier and slightly panicked. What happened, where did things go wrong? Is this why Sardonic’s so hard and cold, even to his own clan!? Her barely concealed panic was echoed by Iota, who was also giving off small waves of the same feeling. Even if she was young, Iota was by no stretch completely naive to her own clan, and was drawing a similar conclusion.

Celestia bowed her head, continuing to tell, “If this ever begins to happen, action must be taken, or else those under their leaders care will suffer.” Taking a calming breath to keep herself level while continuing, “It is a painful thing to watch, and is something I have witness many times in my long life as princess of Equestria.”

Things seemed to become quiet after this, leaving all three to their own thoughts and feelings.

Twisting the tip of her hoof in the grass, Ventral asked, “And if it’s too late?” Unable to hide the concern that was in her buzzing voice.

Letting out a sigh, Celestia said regretfully, “Then it is up to those that follow, or another kingdom to do something. Myself and my sister Luna had done this many a time. The suffering the subjects take is saddening to see, and some don't ever recover form such events.”

Both scouts exchanged looks of worry, both seeming to have the same line of thoughts like the other. If something was not done, and done soon, their clan might be seeing a leader that may tear them asunder, and bring about infighting.

Watching the two changelings for a moment longer, Celestia eventually cleared her throat and told, “I must ask you both to follow me.” Getting up from the ground, “I have something to do before heading to this evenings dinner.” Then seemingly getting a thought saying, “In fact, would the two of you care to join me for dinner this evening?” Adding a smile to her invitation.

Scrambling to keep up with the taller pony, Iota said, “That sounds good, what about you Ven?” Landing on the ground after her quick flight from the tree she was in.

Thinking it over, Ventral admitted, “It would be nice to have something to eat other then feelings…” Eventually ending in a nod, “Sure thing.”

“Excellent.” Celestia beamed to them both, before adding as an after thought, “Though I should perhaps warn you of some guest that are going to be visiting during dinner.” Her smile increasing in size as both changelings gave shocked looks.

Turning her attention to them both, the princess asked them, “I am to assume this will be no trouble for you both?” Seemingly giving off a air of innocents, while her feelings gave off bits of amusement.

Not sure how to take this piece of news, both changelings just shook their heads, while Celestia lead them on. They then traded looks, as if asking how they got caught up in this new mess.


After the suns setting and the moons rising, both changelings felt a whole new reason to respect the alicorn that was leading them both to the dinning hall. They both felt they had been given a rather great honor to watch the white alicorn just nudge the sun a bit, so that another darker one at a second tower could bring forth the night with ease. It was a wakeup call to just how much raw power the princess could use, just to casually bump the sun into setting while her sister did the rest.

Apparently, Luna would do the same later on, while Celestia did most of the work to raise the sun for the next day. Together, it was no wonder that changeling kind was nearly decimated before both princesses working together.

The doors that lead to the dinning hall were opened by Celestia’s golden magic, allowing the three to enter in and see those already in attendance. The room was long to both changelings, and both could see the gardens they were just in by looking to the large window to the right. To the left wall was where they guessed was the kitchen, currently closed so the noise would not interrupt those eating. Their main focus was at he long table in the center of the room, where a number of ponies sat and chatted.

On the left side of the table were Blue Blood, Shinning Armor and Cadence, while a crossed from them were Fancy Pants, Fluer, with Jet Set and Upper Crust sitting close by. At the head of the table itself sat Luna, who mostly sat to the right side, leaving the left open for another pony to sit.

Luna was the first to seem to notice them enter, despite her head facing the other way. “Ah, sister we wondered where thous were.” And then noticed the two changelings saying, “We see that thou hast brought our changeling guests as well.” Catching the attention form those sitting at the table.

The changelings seemed to shuffle in place, while Celestia told, “I felt it prudent to invite these two to dinner. I thought they would like to relax a bit more after this mornings escapades.” Gracefully walking over and taking her seat to Luna’s left.

“Capital Idea you’re highness.” Fancy Pants seemed to agree, fixing his gaze on the two changeling mares, absently adjusting his monocle with a hoof, calling over, “Please do join us, I would be rather interested to get to know you both.”

To his left, Fluer could not help but roll her eyes in amusement, also catching a small glimpse of Cadence’s own amusement in her her slightly twinkling eyes. For some reason, the model felt that Cadence was laughing on the inside, no doubt about her recent lamenting of her husbands latest ideas.

A bit nervously, both scouts make their way over to the rather friendly stallion, slightly skirting around the other married couple. The reason was that both upperclass ponies seemed to give off the slightest bit of hostility, apparently not too happy about their being there.

Raising a brow, Blue Blood commented, “I was not aware that there were any high standing changelings in Canterlot at this time.” Running his eyes over both scouts, trying to find something to differentiate their standing to the other changelings he had seen as of yet.

“They are not from around here my nephew.” Celestia told evenly while nodding to the two changelings, “They are a couple of scouts to a clan we just learned of. We are currently having talks about meeting their clan head and making potential agreements.”

Though they knew that was not the reason for them being there, neither scout wanted to tell about how they were more of captured scouts. That would only complicate things, so being just guests being there willingly was preferred.

Giving a single nod, the stallion accepted Celestia’s reasoning, while the alicorn said, “Also, I wish to apologize for my lateness. Our two guests are new here and needed some guidance here.” Sending a smile to the two scouts, “So without further delay, let us eat.”

Like a practiced group, each pony used their horns to take some food that was presented before them, every now and then asking for a plater to be passed over. Unlike the ponies though, the two changelings looked slightly lost, unsure how to act. By looks alone, Ventral could tell that mannerism was slightly different here, seeing as the ponies asked for certain dishes or chose food before them. Like wise, Iota wanted to follow her normal actions and grab anything she felt like having, no matter were it was. This however felt slightly different, as the ponies didn't have the same friendly competition of snatching up food on a whim.

Sending a nudge to Iota, Ventral made a slight motion as to follow her lead, lighting her horn and choosing any food —mostly fruits— and adding it to her plate. Iota mimicked her clan sisters actions, aiming for the same dishes and going at the same cautious pace.

Though it wasn't vocalized, some at the table could see the nervousness the two scouts seemed to have, showing their discomfort in this setting. Deciding to break the ice some, Cadence said, “So Fancy Pants, how is your charity event coming along?”

After gulping down his current food, the stallion jauntily told, “Simply splendid Cadenza. Both I and Fluer have been getting things set up with fair amount of speed.” Having the most pleased smile on his face, “I must say, Fluer has done a brilliant job on getting this organized for both morning and evening art displaying.”

“Am I to guess it is an art auction?” Jet Set seemed to jump into the conversation, “If so, I have a few art pieces that I am more than willing to part with.” Wanting to possibly clean out some clutter in his own home.

With an amused smile, Blue Blood reminded. “Jet Set, this is a charity event, not one of those noisy auction showings to gain a few more extra bits.” Shaking his head telling, “Let the lower class have a chance to sell their pieces, no need to rob them of their confidence as well as bits.”

Cadence rolled her eyes this time, a little put off by her cousins choice of words. Refocusing on the topic, she told, “I will be sure to be there then. I would like to see what sort of art will be given out.”

Giving a nod to that, Fancy Pants now turned his focus to the two changeling scouts, who looked like they were out of place. A little curious, the noble asked, “How about the two of you?” Gangrening their slightly surprised attention, “Will you both be interested in coming?” Generally curious about the plans both scouts had.

Caught off guard at even being asked, Iota seemed to shift in place while Ventral spoke, “I, ah… don’t know?” Really unsure what to do. By the twitching of the ears of a few ponies, she could tell they were still finding her echoing like voice strange.

Coughing some, Ventral slightly scratched her head, “That is… Our clan isn't much into art. The closest thing we have is weaving, and some of the work the mages do.” Tapping her hooves together in some uncertainty.

With some interest, Blue Blood said, “Mages, as in spell crafters?” Deciding to see where this might lead.

Thinking for a moment, Iota seemed to say, “Oh yeah, they make these really beautiful circles with a number of lines and circles that seem to blend together.” Getting a few images in her head at a time.

Clicking a bit, Ventral corrected, “Those are called runes Iota. Something they use to do their magic ideas with.” Giving a light shrug, showing she didn't really understand the idea behind the concept herself.

Raising a delicate brow, Upper Crust snidely said, “I suppose we shouldn't be surprised over that.” Cutting into some of her baked food.

Though the yellow mare didn't say in an offensive tone, both Ventral and Iota could taste the emotion the unicorn unknowingly sent their way. Iota looked a little downcast, while Ventral lightly buzzed her wings in slight detest saying, “The Salient clan is mostly made on a warriors tradition. We take pride in that, seeing as we have no grand art to show for it.” Trying to keep her voice leveled.

Before Upper Crust could make another remark, Fancy Pants cut her off with a bit of excitement in his voice, “If you don't mind, I do have one question that I have been simply wishing to know about changelings for some time now.”

Blinking at the enthusiasm in his voice, Ventral nodded, “Uh…sure.” Wondering what got the stallion so excited.

Taking a moment to organize his thoughts, Fancy Pants asked, “What are your parties like?” Ignoring the small sigh from his wife, but pressed on never-the-less, “I have been considering hosting a gathering between the Canterlot nobility, such as myself and my dear wife Fluer, and would like some impute.”

Deciding to speak up next, Fluer told, “As much as I would like to share my dear husbands enthusiasm over such a concept, I also feel that it might not be the best Idea.” Looking to her stallion who only gave a playful roll of his eyes.

Well…this is different. That was the only thing that Ventral could bring up to the forefront of her mind before focusing on the question and answering, “Well, in terms of celebrating a party, we don't do that too much…” Taking a moment to think on it, “I mean, sure other clans might do it more often, but not the Salient.”

Taking the question into thought herself, Iota asked, “Do you think they might consider challenging close to a party?” Making Ventral think for a moment while most of the ponies looked confused.

“I don’t know, that’s more of a event or type of entertainment.” Ventral somewhat disagreed, not sure if that was part of the idea.

“It’s either that or our time off. A party is to have fun right? Those are the only things I can think of that would be close.” Iota pointed out, seeing as their clan didn't do celebrations near at all.

Tapping a hoof on the table to get their attention, Jet Set asked the two, “Dare I ask what Challenging is?” Giving the two a dull look, “Is it some form of sport you watch or something mundane you do to pass the time?” Using the same hoof to push his glasses back up.

Looking to each-other, Iota gave a shrug, which Ventral matched and told, “Challenges were originally a way to settle disputes, rivalries or to gain possession over something. Eventually though, it became a tradition that all changeling clans do.” Deciding to take a moment to take a bite of the fruit form her place and chewing it, Ventral swallowed and continued, “It can be for either the stuff I mentioned, or a way to entertain the clan and even a way to practice our fighting skills.”

“In other words, it’s a fight club.” Upper Crust cringed in some disgust while turning back to her food, “Such a barbaric, if not brutish thing for a supposedly civil group.”

Most of the ponies jumped when a loud buzzing sounded from Ventral, who glared at the unicorn mare. At the same time, a slight hissing came form Iota, who was keeping her head down, but also baring her fangs in slight aggravation.

With a controlled voice, Ventral told, “I’m going to let that slide and just assume you don't know what you just did.” Feeling her muscles tense while her wings continued to instinctively send out a warning buzz.

A little shaken but not completely cowed, Fluer asked, “Can it be asked what Upper Crust has done to…earn your ire?” Feeling the hairs on her back slightly rise at the changeling's somewhat intense look.

Ventral curbed this action though, when she started to feel the white mare’s unnerved feelings and said in a more relaxed tone, “No matter who you are, never insult a changelings clan.” Taking a few breaths in and out to try and stop her wings from buzzing.

Deciding to take over, Iota also supplied, “Insulting our clan is insulting our family, future and past.” Sending a distrustful look to Upper Crust, “We changelings have a hard time dealing with others that would actively show hostility to any of our clan.”

“Something to surly share with our subjects.” Luna nodded from her position, not looking shaken in the least while she ate in peace. Peeking in the yellow unicorn’s direction, Luna suggested, “Upper Crust, we doth suggest you take more care in thy words. They may cuse you grief if not watched” Then turned most of her attention back to her meal.

Taking a slightly shaky sip of her drink, Upper Crust agreed, “Of course your highness. I will keep that in mind.” Casting a look of uncertainty to a wary Ventral.

All the while, Celestia watched with keen eyes as the dinner continued to progress, gauging how these apparently more peaceful changelings acted among her ponies.