• Published 30th Dec 2014
  • 2,143 Views, 132 Comments

Unforgotten - Riddle-Me-Think



The past should not be forgotten, note should it blind us to what the future may hold. With the new change in statuesque between ponies and their new channeling neighbors, the past may be the answer to help set an understanding.

  • ...
8
 132
 2,143

Passing Preparations.

I do not own My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Pre-read by Crystal Static


Challenges were something often practiced in changeling clans, as a way to hopefully keep their combatants ready for open conflict with other clans. Other times it was a way to settle disputes between two incorporating clansmen. It was also a pastime for some to watch for enjoyment, as teams were betted on or cheered for from afar. On most occasions, this would be frowned upon. For changelings, it was to add a distraction to those participating, as they have to ignore some things to keep on task or risk losing.

While knights —the leading fighting force among all clans— did most of these fight, others also participated if in their ranks. Seekers, infiltrators, sentinels. hunters, mages, scouts— even the oddball scholar made it into these practice matches to add variety to each combat scenario.

Today was no different, as two teams fought in the large arena that was made near the back of the clan. On one side, dressed in red, were what few mages the warrior-like Salient clan had. They were the strongest magical users in the clan, and were known for their tactical abilities in long-ranged fights.

On the other side was a team made up of some of their best knights, all dressed in armor with dark-green scarves. Unlike the tactical mages, these knights were up-close combatants, and had training armor to resist magical attacks. They were known for their fast planning and thinking on their hooves during the heat of battle.

It was this latter team that Sardonic kept his eyes on, as the two changeling teams were given the signal to fight. Their objective: eliminate the other team with ‘kill’ hits. The first team to eliminate all opposing combatants wins.

On the Mages side, the team began to fire off light shots at the knights, slowly spreading out to attack from multiple sides. In response, the three knights that had shields brought them to bare, making a wall for them to hide behind while they advanced.

Two of the mages made their shots weaker, but more frequent, while the other three shot out slower and heavier magical attacks. Even with the heavier attacks trying to stall them, the knights continued to push forwards. But their strategy soon shifted, as two of the knights not defending shot out from the group, wings open. These two had lighter armor, and made use of it by quickly flying to two of the heavy hitting spell casters on either side of the spread out mage group.

Seeing these attackers come out, the two mages that were using their quick-fire spells to keep the shielded knights on defense turned away. They now focused on the two fliers, trying to group them with a different spell that came in a form of a beam, while the heavy hitters fell back.

Now that they were no longer under such constant attack, the three knights with shields quickly advanced forwards, while their fliers harassed the mages.

With a small nod and grunt of approval, Sardonic felt pleased at how things were playing out for the knights rather than the mages. Mages were useful at times, but they were not fighters. To him, they had no place on the battlefield, or in his clan that was made by warriors and knights. Not weak and idealistic spell-crafters.

The only way my clan will grow, is by pure strength. As if to punctuate this, one of the knights in flight did a dive and pinned a mage under him. While the mage readied a spell, the knight used their hoof to knock the mage’s head to the ground, canceling out the spell.

With our skill, diligence and power, none will stand up to the Salient clan, as it is meant to be. Using their magic, the knight brought out a wooden training sword and did a fast tap to the mages head, making a kill strike.

With one member down, the mages switched tactics. One utilized a spell to send out a smokescreen before the three charging knights, while two others began attacking the fliers. The last began crafting a new spell, one that once used, made numerous false images of themselves. Through the smoke did the three knights charge in, splitting up and donning their own practice weapons when they spotted the apparent army.

In front, the leading knight with more protective armor shouted out orders, having the two fliers dart in and out of the illusions to search for the real mages. In retaliation, three able mages hidden in this illusion fired their spells, while one continued to hold up the illusion that had darkened the area slightly.

Raising their shields and advancing with caution, the knights begin to enter the copies of illusionary mages that all moved erratically about. None attacked, only keep close and watch each other’s back for any attack, while the two fliers continued to locate the mages.

One beam came from a knight’s left, forcing him to stop and defend, while another came in from his blind spot. One of his fellow knight’s saw this, and went to intercept with his own shield. He was too, flanked by a third shot that knocked him over. Before the knight could rise, three shots all fired from different angles, getting past the training armor and stunning his body.

Sardonic narrowed his eyes at the ploy the mages used, admitting that it was a good play on their part. Still, he despised the underhoofed move, reminding him too much of a particular memory of when the Salient clan was hit hard.

The heir clenched his jaw, even when the knights began to redouble their efforts and flush out the mages, he ground his teeth in fury. The day draws near, the day where I raise this clan back up and take our place as rightful head. One of the airborne knights went in for another tackle, only to be shot out of the air by a mage.

This was a short-lived victory as the other knight in flight tacked the same mage. The others tried to act, but where soon drawn into close-rage fights with the other two heavily armed knights.

Then, and only then, will those Quasi feel my wrath and that of the clan I had built! Cheers began to rise around the arena, as the knights tapped the remaining mages out of the fight. Though the knights had won, Sardonic rose and left, sending off waves of anger during his stride.

In his mind, the heir knew that the clan he would build from the ashes of others would not last without some progeny of his. Sardonic knew he needed a mate at some point in time to fix his place in the clan preeminently. Even if they did not seem to appreciate what he had done, Sardonic was sure that he would show them, show them all that his way was the way to truly go.

Changelings adapt, become and overcome, with heir’s even more so. We are more than fit to rule over others. A grin seemed to morph on Sardonic’s once scowling face. It is our living, our fate to always be over others.

Shaking his head and removing the rather malicious like grin, Sardonic remixed himself that though the time was close, they were not ready. After he gained reports form the two scouts that were going to leave soon, then he could send out gatherers to gain the needed emotions for the coming battles. At least, he hoped for some battles to happen. There was a possibility that some clans he has found would just cave and give up.

And since I have no use for weak cowards, I would be forced to destroy them all. A waste of potential resources. The thought was bitter to him, but Sardonic felt it needed to be done. Granted a few maybe allowed to live if they show to be strong enough to help raise strong changelings, but otherwise they would be useless.

“Thinking of plans for the future are we?” A voice spoke beside the clan heir, who showed no sign of being surprised.

“Just some small details.” Sardonic told simply to the common at his side, not even bothering to glance at the seemingly ambitious changeling. With slightly narrowed eyes, Sardonic commanded, “Now speak, why have you come here?”

Chuckling lightly, the common told, “All in good time my good sir, all in good time.” Keeping pace with the heir who changed his path to a more private part of the clan.

When he was sure none could overhear, the common said, “I bring new’s from my master, and he is ready to help supply you with the resources needed for your part of the deal.”

Sardonic nodded, both please and slightly curious, “And all your master wants is for me to either destroy or assimilate any clan in my path?” Trying to figure out who his rather shadowy benefactor was, or his agenda.

Slight clicks greeted the heirs ears, as the common nodded, “Yes, he doesn't care what you wish to do to them, as long as they are out of the way. Kekekeke…” Continuing to click away at some private joke.

“What does your master gain from this…arrangement?” The Salient clan head once more asked, “It seems to me that I’m merely doing his dirty work in all of this.” Stopping to glance at the common.

Coming to a stop as well, the common lifted a hoof and tisked, “Ah, ah, ah…” Grinning up at the heir that was trying to burn holes into his skull, “It was part of the deal you didn't ask too many questions. You do what you wish with my masters resources while clearing out other clans. That was the deal.”

Sardonic gave a snort, a little miffed at the smaller changeling. Never the less, he nodded in acknowledgment and asked, “When should I expect the supplies to be delivered?”


Not too far above, a lone drone kept to the surrounding shadows and spied on the two as they continued their business. She was doing all she could to remain hidden and not set off any warnings to her location. Already the information she was getting was starting to greatly bother her.

She had been lucky in spotting these two talking when she did. Her original plan was to go to the archives and retrieve any relevant information she could. But this stomped out any of those plans.

Why does this benefactor to the Salient clan want to remove the other clans? That was the main troubling bit of the exchange she had heard, and began to poke at the back of her mind. She remembered all the survivors of clans that had lost their clan to attacks and betrayals.

Is this some elaborate plot to overthrow this Sardonic, or is he just the puppet? There were too many questions to be answer at the time, and no time to figure them out yet.

Her time was short as it was, and she knew she had to leave soon and resume her place as Iota. Her current act was holding up due to her current ‘mental’ condition. But who knows how long that would last until they begin to suspect her of foul play?

Deciding to drop that line of thought and also take her leave while she could, the drone carefully snuck away. Always did she keep to the shadows and go nowhere near the soft dim light that glowed in the hive. It was time to play the ‘all my fault’ act once again.


For four days Ventral could not help but fret over Iota, who’s behavior had been slightly erratic since Cleft’s death. Though it seemed she was progressively getting better, Ventral could still see the slight gaps in the younger mares actions.

Though, part of it could be possibly blamed on their mission to leave for the Griffin Kingdom once again. When told of it, Iota looked ready to faint from fear at even leaving. It was seemingly understandable after her last trip to the outside world.

What am I going to do? Placing a hoof to her head, Ventral peeked around her hoof to watch Iota try and relax with Loll, playing a few games with the drone and a few nymphs. From what she could tell, Iota was coping better with the yearlings playing games with her, much like she was during their scouting mission.

The older scout had doubts that it would help Iota recover full yin time for their mission, even if it seemed to help ease her mind. Ventral knew that the young scout needed comfort from her clan and realization that no matter what she did, there was no real way to avoid what had happened. Or, that’s what Ebon had told her when dealing with some clansmen with survivors guilt.

That’s what he called it right? and it made them less active with family or something? Ventral didn't put much stock in the ‘psychological’ actions of others, just going by what emotions they were sending out like most changelings.

However, according to the changeling knight, Iota was showing all signs to survives guilt after having a moment to watch her actions. Though Ventral herself found Iota’s actions a little off at times, Ebon assured her that it was just a natural responses to traumatic or highly stressful situations like the last mission was.

The scout heaved a sigh, almost wishing Cleft was there with her. Sure to Ventral he was always too strict and was not the best at being gentle with his words. But one thing he was good at was guiding and advising scouts along. He was a good mentor to her when she was at a high enough level he could tolerate her presents or actions.

Feeling a familiar presents draw near, Ventral slightly smiled and greeted, “Hey Ebon.” Continuing to lean on the old willow tree she was next to.

“Hey love.” Ebon greeted back while taking a seat net to the mare, “How’s our little sister doing?” Keeping tabs on how Iota was moving about and playing.

With a light shrug, Ventral said, “Better then yesterday. She had disappeared this morning on me, but showed up a bit latter with Loll.” Smiling a bit more when Iota was tackled down by a number of nymphs who proceeded to tug at her mane.

Looking over to the stag next to her, Ventral asked, “How did your challenge go this morning, you win?”

“Of course!” Ebon smirked, “Those mage’s didn't stand a chance!” Holding his puffed out chest for a time. But seeing the blank look he was getting, he admitted, “Alright, so they got two of us, but we still won!”

The mare laughed at the stag’s apparent try at hiding the small losses his team had, but otherwise didn't comment. She knew he was a fairly good knight in the clan, and the mages that they had were no pushovers, since they had to be tougher in a clan filled with fighters.

When Ventral calmed from her fit of laughing, the two just sat and watched Iota and Loll play with the yearlings for a bit, enjoying the little show. They had switched from slight wrestling to hide and seek, and from the looks of it, they were enjoying it.

“I’m still worried about her.” Ventral finally spoke up, grabbing Ebon’s attention, making the stag turn his head to her direction. With a forlorn gaze, she told, “I can't shake this feeling that something real bad happened to to Iota, even if she seems to be getting better.”

Looking back to the playing duo, Ebon commented, “You’re not use to Iota being so withdrawn, right?” And getting a slow nod from the mare. Placing a hoof on the scouts back, he sighed, “I know how that is. Some of the knights under my command got the same way after their first skirmish.”

Getting a better grip on Ventral, Ebon gave the mare a small shake telling, “But thanks to our clan brothers and sisters, they bounced back.” Smiling in her direction adding, “We just have to give them the support and counsel they need.”

Though she considered shrugging the changelings limb off herself, Ventral decided to just lean on him, causing surprise to flow through his body. Holding in her amusement, Ventral nodded, “You’re right. I’m just probably worrying over nothing.” Letting out a sigh and feeling comfort from being close to someling of her clan.

Not willing to pass up the opportunity, Ebon kept quiet and let Ventral lean on his shoulder. He only slightly tightened his grip around the mare, as she continued to watch Iota and Loll play with the younger changelings. This would be his last chance to be close to Ventral before she went off on another scouting mission. He sorely hopped nothing would happen in this one, not wanting to bare the thought of losing either of his clan sisters.


Due to it’s underground nature, the hive never truly had a time of sleep. It was always awake with a number of changelings going about their day however they liked. Morning and night meant next to nothing to those that lived in this deep underground home, and it was this main fact that made sneaking inside a hive hard.

So the most ideal way for the current infiltrator to even get around was by taking on random changeling forms. Taking the form of drones was the best, as all drones shared such similarities that they could easily be mistake for others at a distance.

Sneaking away from Iota’s group was not easy, as they all had gone to sleep not too long ago, leaving a somewhat small time window for the infiltrator to do what he set out to achieve.

Admittedly, things could have gone better. He was expecting to stay around for at least a week or two, mostly to dig up as much information he could before leaving. That was dashed when Ventral told ‘Iota’ about them leaving in five days.

It made little sense to the infiltrator Masquerade, that a clan head would toss out two scouts back into the field, with both wary from their last mission. It was troubling to him in some sense, as the clan head of the Salient, was looking to be the next glory seeking conquer in a line of warmongers.

That’s not mentioning all the stuff said about Sardonic. Masquerade mentally grimaced at the thought. From what he had picked up from being around him, from others and mostly from Ventral, the heir was ruthless. Sardonic wanted to take control of other clans and subvert them through battle, while killing off any that he deemed ‘weak’.

It’s no wonder Opulent is worried about this clan. And it doesn’t help that a number of them are willing to follow his line of thought. There were exceptions to this, such as the group Iota was part of, and the very few scarce mages that inhabited the clan.

In the perspective of things, if he was still part of the Malek and had found out about this noble clan, then he was sure what his orders would be to do. Sabotage and espionage the clan until seekers could eliminate the clan head, where upon he would take their place. Then, bring down the clan slowly from their until they were no longer a threat.

Opulent no doubt had something similar in mind to completely eradicate the Salient clan, more for her clans safety then anything else. But what about those that could still be worked with to change? This was a line of thought Masquerade would have not bothered of thinking. After all, clans rises and fell, what would it matter if a few got crushed under the same rock?

Because it’s wrong to take the lives of the innocent along with the guilty. Somewhere in his mind, the Masquerade almost wanted to curse at the moral right Twilight was installing in him more and more. Made his job harder then it should.

Granted, it was those same little moral rights that helped him take the actions he did to leave his clan and help the ponies Twilight was part of… It was surprising what stayed with him after meeting Twilight as a filly, it really did change his life more then his mother would have thought.

With a small sigh escaping his lips, the infiltrator thought. I’m going soft, and I don't know if it’s bad...or good. Spotting his landing zone just ahead of himself.

Stopping to give his surroundings a quick look over with his eyes alone, the infiltrator was pleased enough to find that none were paying much mind to him. Though he had stopped his plans to come earlier, Masquerade was still trying his hoof at getting any written information from the archives.

Entering into the main area, the infiltrator in drone form made his way through the masses. Each were going about their jobs of cataloging and reviewing information that they had, making sure all was ready when needed.

Focusing his gaze to one area, Masquerade plotted a new path to the opening to where the archives were. Looking slightly to the side where some papers where left out, he lit his horn quickly and snatched them up. Acting the part of a good little drone, he dutifully entered deeper into the archives to ‘file’ the papers away.

Putting the lifted papers before his eyes, Masquerade flipped through them, scanning each page for anything useful. Number of current patrol groups. Who are part of said groups. Potential candidates for these patrols… There was no doubt in his mind that Sardonic had to go though some of these at one point in time. It was possible he didn't need to or passed them onto a advisor under his needs, but the fact still remain in his mind somewhere.

As useful as this patrol information was, it didn't give him what he needed at the time. The information here would only be good for infiltrators and seekers, who used information like this to disguise and sneak in. No, what Oppulent and the celestial sisters wanted was evidence of the Salient want to invade the Quasi. What he heard from Sardonic was worse, but he wanted more evidence.

Wondering into a room that was filled with honeycomb shaped cabinets that went all around the room. The infiltrator sighed and began his tedious task of rifling through each one, both bothering to 'organize' the files, and try seeking out the files he wanted.

His main focus for information mining was mobilization numbers, plans of attack on clans, where to attack and when. There were any number of things that could give him what he needed, but it had to be the right information. There was also the chance he would not find what he was looking for, and would need to search out another room.

Opening the twentieth or so drawer and shifting through the seemingly endless rows of files, the faux drone stopped and brought up a file. With a lifted brow, he opened it, reading each line quickly and committing as much to memory as possible. What it had were some intel on other clans, what he was looking for. What was strange was that it was intel not part of a standard infiltrator report.

No code name, no time frame, no indication of how the mission was done for future reviewing. Only straight up intel with the basics of some clans and their strength. Even a few nomad clans were mentioned, these having apparent specializations that caught whoever’s interest.

That’s a funny name for a clan, Yettysburge! Quietly chuckling in his mind a little while he read on for a bit longer. But as he read on, he started to lose his amusement as each name sounded less like a clan and more like…

Vallystone, Sunset Gorge, Heighten Falls, Great Peek! Each name clicked into he infiltrators mind as he placed the pieces together. These were not clan names, but ones that belong to towns, villages, maybe cities. Both belonging to pony and griffin alike. Then he realized fully what he was looking at, a hit list.

No, Masquerade corrected himself, this would be more like a grocery list! If what he was reading was right, there were around twenty towns and villages marked on the file in his hooves. Each village would have the numbers of 20-60, while the towns closer to 200-300, maybe more. If any of those names belonged to a city, then that only made things more complicated and terrifying. But no matter the numbers, he knew this information had to get to Luna and Celestia post haste.

Calming down and stretching his senses out once more, Masquerade felt out his surroundings for any potential changelings close to him. None were sensed, but he still was cautious.

So, the infiltrator set the file to the side and reached down lifting another file, making a show of looking through it for a while. Looking form one file to another, he made a grunt and placed the new file where the last was. Continuously, he decided to make a slight mess of things and switch up some of the files. Even going as far as switching their contents with other folders.

I have been pranking with Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash too much. Masquerade grinned, switching some of the nurseries birthrate info with the information on new knight recruits and their placements. Note to self: ask them for other prank ideas ponies do. They were a bad influence on him…and truthfully, he was just as bad of influence on those same two.


The day had come, much too soon for either Iota or Ventral. Both changelings where making last check preparations for once again leaving the clan hive and out into the Griffin Kingdom.

Iota was already showing signs of anxiety from fidgeting in her place while packing her bags with the necessary items they would need on their trip. By Ventral’s own suggestion, she was also packing a scarf in advance, so she had something to help keep herself warm.

Nearby, Ventral was doing the same, packing away some things to help on their travels and a few rolls of papers for later letters. The idea of sending back reports as often as the clan head wanted bothered the scout though, not boding well for secrecy. In her eyes, Ventral knew that it would only be a matter of time before the number of letters being sent by her and Iota would draw attention. By either griffin guards or other changelings in general, neither one was good.

I would feel better if we had a third scout with us. Ventral though to herself, scoping up a few love candies that they could snack on. With a small huff, she dumped the resin made candies into her bag thinking, if that clan head of ours weren’t such a jerk, we’d have one!

She had tried to get Sardonic’s approval for another scout with experience for this trip, but he only told it was not his concern. Ventral knew she couldn't just ask any scout to be part of her mission, they needed to have a certain level of experience that would help. There was also the part where she had to convince their lead to even consider letting her have command over one of their scouts. There was a good chance they wouldn't let her, since she had little experience in being a lead.

She could have always asked scouts in her group, Ventral knew, but none of them were leads, only followers or part of patrols. She was effectively stuck with just herself and Iota.

Feeling a hoof being placed on her back, Ventral turned to find Iota’s compound eyes gazing back at her own as she asked, “Ven, are you okay?”

Heaving a sigh, Ventral just told, “I wont lie to you Iota, I don't like this.” Taking up some foodstuff and stuffing it into her saddlebags. “We’re almost being thrown out to do some scouting that could really cost us, and I’m scared to think of what’s going to happen.”

Iota looked away, folding her ears back at this and feeling uncertain with herself. Feeling this shift in her, Ventral turned to Iota and hugged the younger common, assuring, “Don’t worry Iota, I’m going to make sure your at least safe.”

“But what about you?” Iota protested, pulling away, “I don't want you to end up like Cleft!”

Putting both hooves firmly on Iota’s shoulders, Ventral told, “Iota, I know you don't want to lose me, and I don't want to lose you.” Making sure to hold eye contact, “I’m responsible for you now, Iota. I know you don’t want to hear it, but I want to make sure your safe during all of this. Alright little sis?”

Looking down, and trying to make an effort of not showing any tears, Iota nodded. Feeling her chin being lifted, Iota was given sight to Ventral’s sad smile before being hugged and told, “I know you don't want to lose me, but I also wouldn't live with myself if I lost you too.”

Feeling that Iota was calming down, Ventral pulled away and said, “Come on, let’s finish packing and go. We have a few days worth of traveling to do.” Turning back to her bags once again.

Iota did the same, packing away things around her as she did. Looking back for a moment to see if Ventral was looking, Iota picked up a tied up scroll and place it with her things. Turning all attention back to her bags, Iota began to think and plan out what to do next.