• Published 30th Aug 2014
  • 1,692 Views, 86 Comments

5 years later - HaloEssence111



It's been five years since the CMC began, and many things have changed. Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom are attending an Academy, and everything is more or less normal. Little do they know the dark forces that lurk close.

  • ...
7
 86
 1,692

Chapter Eight: Twisted Apologies

Chapter Eight

Apple Bloom woke up on Monday morning, feeling tired and groggy. I really wish that I could wake up at some time other than 5 am... she thought. After brushing her teeth and combing her mane and tail, she ambled down the stairs for breakfast.

At the table sat Big Macintosh and Granny Smith, both chatting quietly while eating their breakfast. Bloom dreaded what AJ's reaction to her would be. Having failed to properly talk to each other throughout the weekend on account of chores, Apple Bloom still didn't know what her punishment would be for getting her week's worth of detention.

"Morning, Apple Bloom." said Big Mac, in between spoonfuls of oatmeal. Granny didn't say anything, but just stared at her toast and muttered incoherent sentences under her breath.(1)

"Morning, Big Mac. Have you seen my cinnamon-swirl apple juice? I though I left it in the ice-box..."

"Morning y'all!"

Applejack had just entered the kitchen and was standing in the doorway. Bloom froze, terrified about what was to happen next.

"M-morning, AJ... Uh, what's up? C-can I get you anything? Maybe-"

"Oh, cut the act Apple Bloom. I know what's buggin' ya'."

She does?

"...And I want ta say I'm sorry."

SHE DOES?!?!

Apple Bloom turned around to look at Applejack, who's contrite expression touched Bloom's heart. But at the same time, she was still angry at AJ for blowing up at her on Friday and wasn't quite ready to forgive her just yet.

"W-well, ah-"

"Apple Bloom before you say anything more, jus' let me explain myself."

"Um... well...okay, then."

So Applejack began to explain why she had been so angry on Friday night. It turned out that she had already been miserable all day, as she had nearly broken her neck trying to re-shingle the barn roof, had no luck whatsoever at the market, and then spent the rest of the afternoon paying bills. When Bloom had walked in over two hours late and started telling some sob story about getting a full week's detention... well, that was the last straw for Applejack. Without even thinking about it, she lashed out at her sister, being fueled with all the anger and frustration she had been holding in all day.

Relieved for the explanation of her sister's odd behavior, Apple Bloom ran to her sister and locked her into a tight embrace. "Oh, Applejack... thank you..."

Pulling away for a moment, Applejack smiled bashfully. "Well... don't thank me yet, sugar cube. Yer still in trouble fer that run-in with Miz Inkblot. I'm not about to let you completely off the hook."

"Wait... what?!" said Apple Bloom, looking confused.

"Ah want you ta' come with me to the school today to formally apologize fer whatever it is you did."

"What?! But I didn't do anythang!"

"I'm not sayin' that you did. But I do know fer a fact that Miz Inkblot is a very good teacher, and that she wouldn't give a student detention fer no good reason."

"But Applejack, she gave me detention fer no good reason."

"Be as that may, she probably thinks that she has a good reason. Now, when you apologize, I'm gonna set her straight about her actions.

Apple Bloom brightened at this. "Ya' mean yer gonna make it so that I can get outta detention?"

"(chuckle) Sorry sugarcube, but I'm afraid that I might not be able ta' do that fer ya'."

"What? Why not?"

" 'Cuz it's not polite, Apple Bloom. By trying ta' get outta the punishment that she thinks is reasonable, then yer basically questionin' her authority! Now, I don't her ta' think that, so I'm not gonna try ta' get you out of detention. But who knows? Maybe when I tell her that yer getting punished at home, she'll let you off. Ya' never know."

"Oh, but Applejack..."

"No 'buts'. This the easy half of yer punishment."

"What?!"

***

"Applejack, do I really have to do this?"

"Apple Bloom, I have told you the answer to that question about a million times and answer is still the same: Yes."

"I still don't get why I have ta' do this, ya' know.."

"I'm not gonna explain it again, Apple Bloom..."

AJ and Bloom walked up the dusty hill leading to Ponyville's Main Street. Apple Bloom continued to argue all the way to the front doors of the Academy, much to Applejack's dislike. Not wanting to think about facing her teacher, Bloom slipped into the memory of that afternoon's encounter with Applejack...

***

After school, Apple Bloom had come home in hopes that AJ would have forgotten about their appointment.

After Bloom had successfully snuck past the kitchen, she raced up to her room, thinking that she had fooled her sister for sure.

But no such luck.

When Bloom burst through her door and onto her bed, she certainly wasn't expecting Applejack to be laying on her bed, grinning wickedly.

"Gasp...sp-sputter.... Applejack, what're you doin' here?!"

"Whad'ya think? Ah'm here to make sure you come with me fer yer apology, little sister. Now stop making that awful face and let's go."

***

"Apple Bloom, are you jus' gonna stand there all day, or are we gonna go in?"

Bloom jolted out of her haze, startled by her sister's sudden scold. "Uh... go in?"

AJ sighed, exasperated. "Yes, Apple Bloom. We are going inside to apologize to your teacher. Don't ask questions you already know the answers to. Now, hush up and let's go find yer teacher."

Apple Bloom sighed, dragging her hoofs along as she followed Applejack into the Academy doors. Lacking enthusiasm, she helped Applejack navigate the halls up to Inkblot's classroom, all the while listening to her sister chatter on and on about how much she was impressed by "Twilight's school". Before she knew it, they were there.

"Well, c'mon Apple Bloom! We don't have all day, ya' know."

"Do ah have to?"

"Yes, Apple Bloom, you have to. Now git in there, this minute."

Bloom shuffled moodily into Inkblot's classroom, staring at the ground. Shutting out her teacher's lengthy inquiry about why she was here, Bloom's mind drifted to... other things. It was only when Applejack shouted "APPLE BLOOM!! PAY ATTENTION!!!" that she snapped out of her daze.

"What is it?" snapped Bloom irritably, glaring at Applejack.

"None of yer lip there, missy. Now would you please stop procrastinatin' and jus' apologize to yer teacher?"

Bitterly, Apple Bloom obeyed. Grumbling, she walked up to her teacher's desk and glared at her hoofs.

"Well, hello Miss Bloom, so nice to see you after your skipping detention today."

"Why do you care?"

"Apple Bloom!" gasped AJ. "Miz Inkblot, I'm so sorry fer my sister's behavior. Would you you be as kind as to let me... speak with her fer a bit?"

"Of course, of course."

Applejack pulled Bloom out of the classroom with some rather unnecessary jerks. Shutting Inkblot's door with a heavy bang, she turned to glare furiously at Apple Bloom.

"Apple Bloom..." said Applejack, her voice shaking with severity. "What is wrong with you today?! What in Equestria is making you act so darn rude to yer teacher lately? First it's the detentions, and now it's this-"

"I already told you, AJ! I didn't deserve those detentions, alraht?!"

"You keep this up, Apple Bloom, and someone's gonna be mucking out the barn this weekend."

"What?! You've gotta be joking, AJ!"

"You know I don't make empty threats, Apple Bloom."

Apple Bloom opened her mouth as if to protest, then closed it, thinking it was best not to argue right now. Scowling fiercely, she glowered at her hoofs and muttered rebelliously.

"What was that, missy?"

"Nothin', nothin'..."

"Well in that case, git back in that classroom and apologize to yer teacher this instant, young filly. And ah don't ever want to hear you talk like to an adult again, ya hear?"

But I'm practically an adult already! thought Apple Bloom. Applejack's jus' babying me, jus' like she's bin doin' since I was in grade school!

"Well, are ya' goin', Apple Bloom? Or are ya' gonna stand there mumblin' all day?"

"Whatever..."

Applejack's nostrils flared threateningly at Bloom, but other than that she seemed not to notice her sister's gruff behavior. Stiffly, she marched Bloom back into Inkblot's classroom with a grim expression on her face. Pushing Apple Bloom ever so slightly towards Inkblot's desk, Applejack trotted up to a curious-looking Inkblot and muscled a disgruntled Apple Bloom in front of the inquisitive-looking mare that was her teacher.

"All right Miz Inkblot, I'll jus' cut right to the chase here. Apple Bloom, what do you have to say to yer teacher?"

Silence.

"Apple Bloom?"

"I'm sorry."

"What was that?"

"I'm sorry."

"A little louder if you please, Apple Bloom.."

"I'M SORRY!!!"

Apple Bloom slapped her hoofs over her mouth, stunned by her own tone of voice. Inkblot merely raised an eyebrow at this, while Applejack looked positively livid.

"Oh. My... well, I do see that you're... sorry, I suppose. Will that be all?"

"Yes ma'am..." Apple Bloom said contritely, glancing anxiously back at her livid sister.

"Good. Then I will be seeing you in detention this week? I trust that you will not try to skip out again."

"Y-yes, ma'am..."

Applejack and Bloom walked towards the door, Apple Bloom shuffling and dragging her hoofs regretfully. But when she and Applejack had reached the door, Inkblot called back lazily at them.

"Oh yes, and one more thing, Miss... Apple Bloom, is it?...I'd like to have a little chat with you." Then seeing Applejack accompanying Bloom, she added, "A private chat, if you will, please."

Applejack backed up at this, and went into the hall to wait.

Once Applejack had shut the door behind her, Inkblot's smile vanished, being replaced by a sadistic scowl.

"Lookpony, let's get something straight. What you have done is unacceptable."

A cold, sharp shiver went down Apple Bloom's spine. What's she doin'...

"But I will let it slide this time, pony. This time. Don't let it happen again. Because I swear on the raging fires of fires of Tartarus that if this happens again, you will be sorry."

What's goin' on?

"So listen to me, pony." snarled Inkblot viciously. "You will never bring in anyone else like this again! EVER! Do we understand each other?"

Apple Bloom gulped nervously. "Y-yes ma'am."

"And just one one more thing, pony..."

"Y-y-yes?"

"You will will tell no one of this. Understood?"

Apple Bloom nodded her head, frightened by her teacher's formidable behavior.

I'm scared...

"Good. Now, get out."

Apple Bloom was all too happy to comply. In a flash, she was on her way and out the door. Even when she had returned to a furious Applejack out in the hall, she didn't care. All she could do was think about her conversation with Inkblot and how frightened she was.

"What was that all about?" asked Applejack skeptically.

"Oh... erm, jus'...assignments 'in stuff....ya' know..." lied Bloom, avoiding her sister's gaze.

"Ah see...well, I hope you have fun mucking out the barn this weekend."

Apple Bloom wasn't listening.

What's happening?

***

(1)- To hear what she was muttering, click here.

Author's Note:

Longest chapter yet! I'm so happy:scootangel:

In case you haven't noticed, INKBLOT IS EVIL. More on her in future chapters!:raritywink:

Please like and comment below!