• Published 16th Apr 2012
  • 580 Views, 3 Comments

To Make Friends - Darkkon13



It takes alot to step away from the comfort of your own devices.

  • ...
 3
 580

Chapter 2

Gizmo pushed the covers from his head and groaned as the morning light shown through the window. He looked over to his desk on the far side of the room, trying to straighten his ruffled mane. Sitting, wide open, was the journal he had written in last night, detailing his day. I thought crossed his mind that was so faint it nearly went unnoticed. 'Perhaps that's one of the reasons I'm alone.' He quickly shook the notion and pulled himself on all fours. He had to be ready for the 'game' today.

A shot of determination went through Giz as he grabbed his goggles and whipped them over his neck. He stepped on the mechanical door pedal and trotted down stairs for his breakfast. There was no way he was going to eat a big meal. He had knots in his stomach the size of Canterlot out of shear nerves. There was no way he was going to beat Rainbow Dash today. He wasn't about to throw a competition to her though so he had to go through with it. He choked down a piece of toast and an apple, which desperately tried to escape his upset stomach, before heading outside.

He hurried his way to the meeting place, watching the ground below him in a half daze. He wasn't to sure what he had gotten himself into and continued to think about what might happen. Would they laugh, push him away, or even out right tell him to get lost? At first he wasn't worried, when Rainbow Dash had issued the challenge, it had seemed simple enough. When the mailpony, Ms. Hooves, had delivered the message to meet in Ponyville Park Gizmo suddenly lost his nerve. Ponyville Park was always full of ponies having fun and talking about their day. Sure it wasn't the town square but there were still a lot of ponies there.

Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle were standing at the edge of the park, Rainbow Dash trotted in place in preperation. Gizmo landed gently next to Rainbow.

"About time, Giz. See? I told you he wouldn't chicken out Twilight." Rainbow Dash grinned wickedly at Giz after addressing Twilight. The Purple unicorn just rolled her eyes and stepped forward.

"Alright, so I'll be the referee for this, ummm. game?" Both Gizmo and Dash nodded at twilight's question. "Right. So here's how it's going to work." twilight levitated a quill and paper from her saddle bag. "Rainbow Dash will go first, starting with simply saying hello. Gizmo will follow up by matching the social action that Rainbow Dash completes. If Gizmo can't complete the action Rainbow wins. If Rainbow won't continue Gizmo wins." She smiled and lowered her paper. "Got it?"

"Y-yeah. This will be a piece of cake." Just as Gizmo completed this sentance he could almost swear he saw bouncey pink hair behind a bush.

He shook off the notion as Dash spoke to him. "A piece of cake huh? Watch your stutter Giz, people might catch you in a lie." He laughed lightly and began to trot forward, looking back at her friends. "Try not to fall too far behind." She came up to a brown pony, with an hourglass cutie mark, who was sitting on a bench enjoying the spring air. She made it look so simple. A tilt of her head and a smile, one hind hoof slightly tipped forward. "Hey there." Though this was an easy enough task for Gizmo it still came with worry and anxiety. The brown pony smiled and greeted her in return. And just like that Rainbow trotted off.

Giz ran forward to move up along side Dash. "Alright, big deal. I can do that." The two pegasi stopped near a fountain along side a light blue unicorn who was mindlessly staring into the fountain.

Rainbow dash nudged Giz and whispered to him. "Go on." He waved her away and stepped up next to the unicorn, her yellow mane was laying forward with its tip just barely dipping into the water. Before he was able to speak, the unicorn noticed Gizmo walk forward and turned to him with a bright smile.

"Oh, Hi there." She spoke sweetly, similarly to Fluttershy from the night before, but with more energy. Gizmo was expecting to speak first and was a little thrown off. He smiled nervously and blushed. The mare before him tilted her head as he blushed, looking slightly confused.

"H-hi." Gizmo managed to say through his sudden surprise. The unicorn blushed at his stuttered greeting and folded one hoof over the other, tilting her head off to one side with a smile. Rainbow Dash poked her head over to see the little scene the two made. She lulled out her tounge and made a barfing noise.

"Come on lover boy we have more to do!" She grabbed Gizmo by his goggles and dragged him away. The mare by the fountain looked slightly surprised and frowned as Giz got pulled away from her. Rainbow Dash let Giz's goggles fall from her mouth after they were a good distance away and near new 'targets'. "Okay, next up. Holding a conversation." She scanned the few ponies that were about and spotted a rather lonely looking pony. She was a pegasus who had one of her wings bandaged up. She was looking up at some flying birds as she walked along the cobblestone path. "Perfect. watch and learn egghead." She left Gizmo and walked up beside the troubled pegasus.

Out of the corner of his eye, Gizmo thought he saw something stalking about again. But wasn't quick enough to actually see it. He squinted his eyes and studied the bush to see if he might catch what ever had moved. It wasn't too long until Rainbow made her way back to Gizmo, leaving a rather happy new friend trotting away. "There."

Gizmo looked back to Dash with concern. "I dunno... what if they don't want to talk?"

"Thats oaky, here I'll help you find somepony." She reassured he. "hmmmmmmmm, THERE!" she pointed out to a small area where some proper stallions were chatting it up over tea. "Hehe, you'll fit right in." She used her head to push Gizmo forward. Gizmo was somewhat reluctant and actually dug his hooves into the ground for the first few feet but gave in to Rainbow's insistant pushing. The 'posh ponies' Stopped their gentle laughter and set down there tea as gizmo stumbled forward with his embarassed smile.

"Why hello there, my good gentlepony." Said the stallion closest to Gizmo. He was a white unicorn with a black mane, suit, mustache and shining monocle. The bag of money that was his cutie mark was a dead give away that he dressed this way most of the time. The other was a dark blue earthpony who had clearly spent too much time grooming his short indigo mane. His caped suit almost made him look pleasantly evil.

"Yeah, uhhmm. hi. I-I'm. I'm Gizmo-" The younger pegasus began.

He was quickly interrupted by the blue earthpony. "Ah yes! That quaint young inventor from just out side of town." He spoke with a greater than thou tone and displayed a smile as though he was looking upo a child.

"HAHA!" Laughed the Unicorn. "Quaint indeed." He levitated the goggles about Gizmo's neck. Which Gizmo just realized were rather old and raddy. "I mean just look at these old things. They must be antiques! You simply MUST tell me where you found these."

YES! Gizmo was in. Clearly this was a conversation that he could hold. Rainbow Dash was gunna eat her challenge. "Oh these? I got them from my father when I was just a foal. Before I he passed away he was supposedly an amazing racingpony. At least thats what the Matron told me." He lifted his goggles a moment and smiled in memory.

"The matron? You were an orphan? HOW absolutely precious." Cooed the unicorn, before laughing lightly and sipping from his tea cup.

"Oh my. I'll bet he lives about as stylishly as he dresses."Stated the caped pony, trying his best not to laugh.

Gizmo smiled brightly, proud of his home. "It's even better than that. I built my house myself. Every inch is-" Before he could finish the two posh ponies broke out into a tear filled laughter, banging their hooves on the table. Suddenly the whole world seemed expansive about gizmo, distant and lonely. He shrunk down, his smile fading into a terrified frown. This is exactly what he expected before this contest began, exactly what he feared. These two had been poking fun at him this whole time and for the first in a long time he really felt alone.

A cloud, that had been hovering just over head suddenly, dissapated and a rainbow colored force struck the ground like lightning. "HEY! WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM!?! For social ponies like your selves you sure do have a problem recognizing somepony who needs a little help!" Rainbow dash turned her back on the shocked stallions and bucked the table over. "C'mon Giz, We don't need these losers." Giz barely heard his friend but was able to follow her instructions as she lifted him upand lead him back to Twilight, who was waiting not to far off looking worried. She made a quick note on her paper before tucking it away in her saddle bag and trotting forward to meet Giz and Rainbow.

"oh my goodness. Is he going to be okay Rainbow?" She said looking over Gizmo as he shuddered and stared at the ground. He didn't seem very responsive.

Rainbow Dash Nodded, looking sorry. "Yeah, he's a tough pony. I guess they just got to him."

"Do you think we should take a break?" Twilight looked up to Dash.

"No," answered Rainbow Dash. " We should just stop all together and let him calm down."

The conversation continued as the two mares walked Gizmo to the library for some down time. But Giz wasn't listening. He had been thinking about what had happened, the way Rainbow Dash had leapt in like that. It was almost like what those Stallions said didn't matter anymore. He didn't have to worry about them because he already had a true friend and he knew she would never make fun of him like that. By the time they reached Twilight's home, Gizmo and started paying attention again and actually smiled a bit as he saw his friend walking with him.

A good friend is always Loyal.

Comments ( 3 )

Dude, this is bloody awesome. Gizmo is a character that I can relate to, and that is exactly what you want. I'm really impressed by this, and I really want to read more. Keep up the good work buddy! :ajsmug:

705022
Thanks. I just need to get off my DevArt and frikkin write stuff. I'm stuck half way through the next chapter and my inspiration has hit the dumps. So I'm working on another story on the side. It's going to be called. "Faithless"

710215 Ah, writer's block is a serious bitch. Well, that other story sounds rather intreging. I'm already looking forward to it.

Login or register to comment