• Published 16th Apr 2012
  • 3,564 Views, 653 Comments

The First Steps of the Rest of Your Life - Rhino



A vet, an engineer, and a power company intern all walk into a town... it's not a joke it's a story.

  • ...
9
 653
 3,564

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 26 Ways to Liven up Monday

***Monday, Day 16, morning***

**Mane Street, 3rd person**

A sugar filled mass of pink leisurely makes her way through town humming a tune to herself, well, as leisurely as one can be when bouncing. She makes her way to a corner of the market square and stops, looking around for something, or perhaps somepony.

Spotting her quarry, she yells out, “Rainbow Dash! There you are!”

Her shout startles the rainbow-maned pegasus on the nearby cloud, but when Dash looks toward the source of the sound, the pink pony is missing. Rainbow scratches the back of her head with the back of a hoof before turning around and finding herself face to face with Pinkie.

“Gah!” Rainbow jumps back a few hooflengths on her cloud to give herself some space, and can see that her pink friend is standing on a rooftop next to her cloud.

Pinkie simply smiles at her friend before starting to babble, “I was wondering where you were Dashie! I thought you were gonna be late for our prank day! Oh this is going to be so great, I’ve already got all the supplies like pies and water guns and whoopee cushions and –”

Rainbow shoves her hoof in her excitable friend’s mouth while she continues to talk around it. When it’s clear Pinkie isn’t going to be stopping anytime soon Dash talks over her, “Actually Pinkie, I needed to talk to you about that, I’ve got to take care of some things today so I can’t go pranking with you today, you understand right?”

The earth pony nods, “Don’t worry Dashie I understand, but just so you don’t feel left out,” Pinkie pulls a present out from behind her back, “here you go!” She places the present on the edge of the roof towards the cloud pony and bounces off across the rooftops.

Dash follows the bouncing sugar fueled pony before simply shrugging and turning to her box. She takes off the bow and rips off the paper before peering inside… and receiving a toothless alligator to the face for her trouble. She rears back and starts trying to pry the offender off her muzzle before a set of pink hooves removes the reptile, the owner of the hooves smiling back at Rainbow.

Pinkie giggles at her friend, “It’s amazing what they hide in boxes these days, huh Dashie?” With that, the pink pony once again bounces off while Rainbow Dash applies liberal amounts of cloud to her face trying to wipe off the alligator drool.

**Volt**

Voltage Surge strolls down the road with a smile on his face showing his glee at finally having his bandages off and being able to feel the wind on his face again. He makes his way in no particular direction, simply enjoying the day. A sudden rustling noise catches his attention, but when he looks toward the sound, all he sees is a hay bale next to a market stall. Blinking, he simply keeps walking until he hears the sound again, this time from the other side of him. He turns to see a hay bale sitting in the mouth of an alleyway, but a look back shows the first hay bale missing from beside the stall.

Volt puts a hoof to his chin, “Hmmm.” His eye lingers on the bale as he once again starts on his way. As soon as he hears the rustling he jumps around pointing at the alley, “Ahah!” His triumphant cry falls short as he realizes he is pointing at nothing. He scratches his head before simply shrugging and turning back around… to get a nose full of hay.

Volt jumps back pawing at his nose and snorting hay, giving the bale in front of him a wary eye. Once his nose is clear, Volt cautiously approaches the bale, walking slowly and silently even though he is in the middle of the street in broad daylight. He nears the bale and leans closer trying to figure out what it is-

“BOO!”

“Woah!”

Volt falls onto his back at the sudden giggling pink face popping out of the hay. Volt lays there with a stunned expression on his face before chuckling himself at how bad she got him. Pinkie climbs out of the hay and helps Volt up, the two chatting away as she does so. Suddenly the two nod at each other and walk off.

**Hydro**

“Ok a little to the left now Volty.”

*squeak*

“Now a little to the right.”

*squeak*

“Maybe a smidgameter more to the left…”

“Pinkie!” Volt exclaims, having spent the last 10 minutes making minute adjustments to the aim of the cannon.

“Perfect!” The Pink pony exclaims, jumping to her position next to Volt behind the cannon. “And now, we wait.”

The blue unicorn and pink earth pony snicker as they see the target approach the danger zone. Hydro is having a one sided conversation with Schmoopy, who is swimming in his specially designed belt, when he is hailed from down the street.

“Hey, Hydro!”

Hydro stops and looks toward the voice calling him-

*BOOM*

*Splat*

-and receives a high speed pie to the face for his trouble. The force of the pie sending him back a few feet as he shakes his head trying to figure out what just happened. The sound of laughter and his hoof clearing the filling from his eyes soon tells him the whole story.

As the two blue and pink ponies walk up to him, Hydro gives them the stink eye for a moment before grinning and licking some of the pie off his face. “You two are lucky I like apple pie,” he says licking another spot off his face.

**Blue**

Blue wings his way through the skies above Ponyville, coming down for spurts of low flying while still going high enough every once in a while to continue his practice of learning all the main areas of the town and the skies above them. After applying at the weather center, Blue was given the job and Rainbow was his new boss. His current assignment was to learn the sky so he could help with the small shower they had scheduled for early tomorrow morning.

He dives down again and works his way through the streets at about roof height, simply lost in his thoughts-

*Gush*

“What the?”

-until he is knocked off balance by a powerful stream of water and almost runs into a tree. He hears laughing and looks down to see Hydro, Volt, and Pinkie, Hydro is wearing a water container on his side, Volt is touching his glowing horn to the container, and Pinkie is currently aiming it up at him. Blue swoops down shakes himself off, showering all of them in the process.

Hydro simply smirks at Blue, “So tell me Blue, did you feel a tingle when you were hit?”

Blue raises on eyebrow at him, “No, why?”

Hydro frowns slightly and turns back to Volt, “You were charging the water right? I thought you guys said electricity was super effective against flying types.”

Pinkie and Volt simply shrug.

Blue looks in between all of them, “So what’s with all this anyway?” The trio explains their pranking, at the end Blue smirks, “I know who to get next then.”

**Rhino **

The newly formed quartet of pranksters surveys their latest pranking mechanism.

Hydro gives it a nod, “I like it, simple but complex.”

Volt continues, “A little more spread out gratification…”

Pinkie takes it up, “…but this is going to be great to watch!”

Blue wraps it up, “And it ends with something nopony would ever see coming.”

The four high hoof before spotting their prey walking away from his job and them.

Volt looks at them, “So how do we get him over here?”

Blue gives him a deadpan look, “Easy,” he yells over at Rhino, “Hey Rhino, come here a second!”

Rhino turns and, seeing his friends, starting heading their way.

Pinkie starts giggling to herself as Rhino approaches, Hydro shushing her so she doesn’t give the game away. Rhino walks to closer to them and opens his mouth to greet them-

-only to have the ground give way under his hoof so he falls in their disguised pit trap. A second later he flies back out having bounced off the trampoline, and then lands in their perfectly placed landing cushion-

“COLD!”

-made of snow.

The three stallions and one mare all roll on the ground laughing at their perfectly executed prank while Rhino tries to get all the snow off himself to get rid of the spikes of cold currently covering him. After a minute he warms back up and the others have calmed down.

Rhino looks at the others chuckling, “Very well done you four, I never saw it coming,” his chuckles get a little deeper, “of course you probably didn’t see this coming either.”

*Splat, splat, splat, splat*

Each of the pranksters is hit with a snowball to the face, eyes breaking through their new snow masks to see Rhino holding another snowball in his magical grip, along with Specter holding one on top of his head. The foursome looks at each other before scooping some ammo out of the spare snow they had Blue bring just in case.

Pinkie points out to Rhino holding her snowball, “Charge!”

***Later that night***

A cloaked figure is flinging rocks up to a window on its target house, small rocks though, only meant to get somepony’s attention. A few more rocks are thrown before a familiar green unicorn pokes his head out of the window.

“I trust you have a good reason for this?” he questions the cloaked shape.

The figure replies, bringing a small box from within its cloak as it does so, “The best reason of all.” The figure tosses the box up to the window.

The green unicorn catches the box in his magic, tilting it to feel the contents shifting inside before turning back to the cloak covered visitor, “Is this the last part we needed?”

“Yes, everything else is ready, when did you want the plan to commence?”

“Why wait any longer? We do this tomorrow.”

***That same night in Canterlot***

A guard knocks on the door to his commander’s office.

“Come in.”

The guard enters to see his commander as he thought he would, at his desk working through the tedious but necessary evil of paperwork. The commander looks up as the door closes.

“Something you needed Sergeant?”

“Yes sir, I had something you need to see,” the guard draws a folder out from under his wing and hoofs it to the commander.

“What is this?”

“It’s about Atomic Vortex, sir.”

PreviousChapters Next