• Published 22nd Aug 2014
  • 9,384 Views, 42 Comments

The Little Pony Legend 2: Spirits of Courage - MaggiesHeartLove



The Mane Six and Avatar Korra are back in an all new adventure unlike anything they had faced before.

  • ...
16
 42
 9,384

Life's too short

*(~)*

Proverbs 19:20 ~

Get all the advice and instruction you can, so you will be wise the rest of your life.

*(~)*

Life's too short, not to be a family.

It had been so long since Celestia slept in. She always had to wake up before anypony else in order to rise the sun. But today, she could sleep in. It felt so good to lay in the beds of the Air Temple, the sun of the human world rose all on its own, its golden rays coming through the window of Celestia's room, warming her body with a nurturing heat that only a mother or father could give. The sun princess smiled as her eyes fluttered open. She levitated the blanket off her body, revealing she did not have her crown, necklace or golden horse shoes on. She gently placed the blanket over the mattress in a lovely and neat manner before peaking her head out the window, taking in the fresh morning air. The sun glowed brightly up in the middle of the clear blue sky. Back in Equestria, it was her job to raise the sun, but the very first time she didn't, didn't make her feel useless at all. In fact, the sun rising on its own was a stunning and refreshing sight. As Celestia embraced the sun's rays, she felt her whole body strengthened. She felt a burning warm sensation within herself, which was unlike anything she had ever felt before. This world truly was magical in its own way.

If Tenzin could ever pick out the ideal perfect day, this would be it. In the Southern Air Temple, Tenzin and Pema were happily relaxing while sitting in chairs outside near the temple gardens. Kya and Luna both sat on a rock, feeding lemurs together. The two had already begun to form a friendship. Luna was especially fascinated with waterbending and Kya was very intrigued by Luna's ability to enter people's dreams. Tenzin took a sip of his tea and sighed in relaxation.

"Ahh, I haven't felt this at peace since--"

"YAHOO!"

Tenzin's peace was interrupted when his brother Bumi jumped in, wearing nothing but his underwear and an open green robe, exposing his rather large belly. The man-child jumped up and down happily as his younger brother sighed sadly.

"Aaand, it's over."

Bumi leaped onto the rock where his sister and the moon princess both sat and spread his arms wide, shouting into the sky. "Goooood morning, Universe!"

"Bumi, please, cover yourself! We have a princess here!" Kya said as she covered her's and Luna's eyes. Bumi immediately blushed in embarrassment.

"Oops! Sorry, your highness." he quickly closed his robe and turned to his brother, "Well, lookee here, "Vacation Tenzin" has finally decided to join us."

"Yes, he has." Tenzin said as he carried his son, Rohan from his wife, "It's so nice to get to spend more time with my family. Isn't that right, my little Rohan?" the baby smiled and cooed happily.

"It truly is a beautiful morning." said Princess Celestia as she stepped outside to greet the others. Her long magical multicolored mane bellowed in in the invisible breeze that always surrounded her. "I haven't slept in in so long."

"I've been meaning to ask, how are you two able to even have the time for a vacation?" Kya asked, "Don't you two need to raise the sun and moon back in Equestria?"

"Do not worry." said Luna, "We have someone back home who is helping with that."

"In my experience with magic, I believe it's best not to ask too many questions." Tenzin said, "I've actually enjoyed having you two here, Princess."

"Thank you very much, Tenzin." Celestia said graciously as she bowed.

"And I've really enjoyed having you two around." he said to his brother and sister. "Reminds me of all those great vacations we took as kids with Dad."

"Uhh, I think your memory's a little foggy." Kya said with a frown while placing her head on her left hand, "Bumi and I weren't on half of those great vacations. It was always just you and Dad, you know, to complete your airbending training."

Both Luna and Celestia exchanged sad glances at hearing this. The tone of Kya's voice was bitter with a tint of jealousy. Her expression was shared with her older brother.

"No, that can't be right." Tenzin said, trying his best to recall any other good memories of the past, "What about the time he took us to Kyoshi Island to ride the elephant koi?"

"What are elephant kois?" Luna asked curiously.

"They're these really huge fish that Dad used to ride on for fun." Kya explained to the princess before turning again to her brother, her brows lowering. "And no, we weren't there that time either."

Tenzin kept trying to remember any fond memories they had. There must have been some moment where the three of them had spent some time with their father. "Hmm. Oh, remember Ember Island? Those amazing sand palaces we built on the beach."

Bumi pointed a finger at Tenzin, "You mean, you built? We didn’t the place until after."

"I could've sworn."

Tenzin was sincerely surprised by this. How could he not remember his brother and sister weren't with him at that time? They must have been pulling his leg or something, there was no way they weren't with him during the vacations he spent with his father.

Celestia looked at the three older siblings with sympathy and smiled kindly at Kya and Bumi, "I'm sure the two of you have your own wonderful memories with your father." she said, trying her best to brighten up the growingly bitter mood. "Maybe if you think back hard enough you'll remember something."

But sadly, Kya and Bumi simultaneously shook their heads, making Celestia lower her ears. Luna gave her sister a scowl look that read, 'way ta go, sis!'.

Just then, Jinora and Meelo arrived at the scene on their air scooters. Poki flew and landed on Meelo's head, when both siblings landed on solid ground.

"Morning, kids!" Bumi happily greeted his niece and nephew as he jumped from the rock he was standing in to greet them.

"Morning, Uncle Bumi!" Meelo greeted and pointed at his uncle's now exposed large stomach, "Do you have a baby in there?"

Kya, Tenzin, Pema and the Princesses all laughed at the child's innocence and humor. But then, Pema realized that not all of her children were present. "Where's your sister?" she asked. Jinora nervously looked down at her feet.

"Who?"

"Ikki." Pema placed her hand at her waist level, "About this tall. Talks real fast like Pinkie Pie. I'm sure you know her."

Jinora didn't even look up, unable to force herself to stare directly into her mother's disapproving eyes. "Uhh…"

"There was a lemur fight, but the bison told us not to worry because a giant was coming." Meelo said, "Then we almost got eaten by a shark-squid!"

"The shark-squid?!" Bumi asked in terror, "It appears my old nemesis has found me."

Both Luna and Celestia shared skeptical looks as Bumi spoke dramatically, both having no idea what the heck he was talking about. Pema folded her arms in annoyance and eyed sternly at her children.

"Jinora, were you and Meelo teasing your sister again?"

"I don't know." Jinora said defensively before bowing her head. But the look on her mother's face began to wear her down. "Maybe." finally, she hung her head in shame, "Yes."

"She ran away." Meelo said.

Celestia gasped and Luna rose her hoof near her mouth in shock. "Oh, dear!"

Pema's face became red with anger, "Honestly, I don't know why you kids can't just get along!"

"It's all right, dear, Ikki couldn't have gone far." her husband said as he gave her back Rohan. "I'll find her."

"We'll come and help." said Celestia.

"Commander Bumi reporting for duty!" Bumi said with a salute, "Search-and-rescue missions are my specialty."

Kya came forward and held both of her brothers' shoulders, "What do you say we all go together?"

"Sure, I could use the help." Tenzin said and Bumi squatted down to his nephew,

"When I get back, we'll come out with a plan to take down that shark-squid once and for all!"

Meelo grinned and said enthusiastically, "Yeah!"

Luna arched an eyebrow and looked at Kya, "By any chance, was he ever dropped in the head as a toddler?"

"No. But he did fall off the hog monkey bars when he was six."

"That would explain a lot."

Celestia placed her hoof on Pema's shoulder, "Don't worry Pema. We'll find her."

"Thank you, your highness."

(~)

"Ikki! Ikki? Ikki, where are you?" Tenzin cried out for his daughter. He, Kya, Bumi, Celestia and Luna were searching her all around the temple, they had already looked in all the gardens, all of the rooms, now they were traveling down the mountainside but still, there was no sign of the young girl. The Princesses both searched from above, but they too had the same luck. Their eyes scanned half the perimeter of the island, but they could not find a trace of the young airbender girl. Tenzin saw the alicorns land before him.

"Any sign of her?" he asked hopefully. The sisters sadly shook their heads. "No. I'm sorry, Tenzin." Celestia said sincerely.

"We have found no trace of her anywhere." Luna said, sounding just as sad as her sister. The air nomad grew more worried by the moment. "Where could she be?"

"Over here, Dad!" they all turned their heads at the sound of a childlike voice coming from a rustling bush, but even they were not foolish enough to fall for such a trick. They did not laugh at all when they saw the former commander emerge from the bushes. "Just kidding. It's me!"

Tenzin groaned in annoyance just as Kya came running behind him. "There's no sign of her anywhere." she said.

"Why would Ikki run off like this?" Tenzin hung his head in shame. "Ah, it's probably my fault."

"Probably." his sister replied while crossing her arms. The air nomad turned to his sister.

"Excuse me?"

"I'm guessing you've been busy with your "duty" to Republic City that you forgot about your duty to your kids."

Bumi laughed, "Duty."

"What are you, five years old?" Kya said in annoyance as she placed her hands on her hips. Luna came in between the two, "Everyone, please. The last thing we need is for you two to start bickering again."

"No, Princess Luna, Kya is right." Tenzin said, "I haven't been spending enough time with my children. I wish I could be as good a father as dad was to us."

Kya scoffed at this. "Tenzin, your problem is that you're exactly like dad. He was so focused on saving the world and doing his duty," Kya stopped Bumi from opening his mouth, as a smile crapped up his face, "don't laugh, that he hardly had time for us. And when he did, it was short lived."

Celestia and Luna both felt sympathy for the three siblings as they listened to their tale. Believe it or not, the two sisters empathized with their situation, for they too had experienced something quite similar from their own childhood. They really wanted to help the three, but for the moment they stood aside as they watched the siblings bicker.

"Dad was under a lot of pressure." Tenzin said in defense.

"He always had time for you, though," Bumi said as he pinched Tenzin's cheek, which made him flinch, "his precious little airbender."

Tenzin pushed his brother aside, "Dad loved us all equally." he said as he took a few steps forward away from his siblings. "Besides, it all happened a long time ago. Why are we even talking about this?"

"Because you seem to have some grandiose delusion that we had a perfect, happy-go-lucky childhood." said Kya, "Guess what. We didn't!"

Tenzin was already fed up with this nonsense, his daughter was missing and yet here he was talking about things that didn't even matter anymore. "We need to keep moving, if we want to find Ikki before dark." he said before walking ahead. His sister smiling cockily as he did.

"See what he's doing there, Bumi? Classic airbender technique." Kya said mockingly, "Cutting and running when things get tough!"

"Yeah. Did dad teach you that move?" Bumi said teasingly as Tenzin groaned in annoyance, even with the growing distance, he could still hear his older brother and sister laughing at him. Celestia and Luna had heard enough. The oldest princess stood before Kya and Bumi and they both stopped laughing. The Princess's beautiful pink eyes scowling in disapproval.

"That is enough." Celestia said sternly. The two humans lowered their heads in shame like children who had just gotten into trouble with their school teacher. Celestia's expression slightly softened a she spoke in a regal but motherly voice. "I understand you both have your own conflicting feelings about your father, but that doesn't give you the right to take it out on your brother."

Kya slowly rose her head to look at the princess, speaking in a respectful manner, "With all due respect, your highness, this is a family matter and you really shouldn't worry about it."

"Like it or not, Kya, we are involved." Luna said sternly, a face equal to that of her sister's. "And believe me, we understand you perfectly well."

"And why is that?" Bumi asked. The sisters looked at one another before lowering their ears sadly.

"Because we've been through exactly the same thing you have." Kya and Bumi both looked at the princesses with surprised expressions.

"I especially understand what you two have been through." said Luna, "But life is far too short to allow past problems and anger get in the way of family."

As they continued down the path behind Tenzin, both siblings began to feel guilty for the way they were acting. Celestia and Luna caught up with the air nomad and music began to fill the air. The princesses hoped to help the three get along and work out their differences.

(Parody of "Life's too short" from Frozen)

Celestia;

They came here with you in hopes of a fresh start

But it's clear that your strife is making you fall apart

Luna;

I have to say big sis, on this I can agree

The bitterness that haunts among these three

Tenzin face palmed himself and groaned. He was not in the mood for a song.

Celestia;

You've been falling out for way too long

So just forget who's right

Luna;

And forget who's wrong

Why don't we try, and work together to bring Ikki home!

Bumi began tapping his foot to the beat.

Celestia and Luna;

Cause life's too short!

Luna;

To always feel shut out and unloved by the family you've long to know

Celestia and Luna;

Life's too short

Celestia;

To never move forward in life

To not embrace what the future holds

Kya:

Oh, oh, oh,

Tenzin:

"Not you too!"

Celestia;

You might not have known then

Luna and Celestia:

But you can start

Life's too short

To miss out on this family, heart to heart

Bumi;

"I have no idea what's going on, but I like it!"

"Tenzin, they're right." Kya said, "Maybe we should put aside our difference."

"I'd appreciate that."

The princesses smiled in triumph, things were looking up.

"It's the least you could do since you practically ignored your kids."

"Excuse me?!"

The Princesses' smiles changed into frowns in an instant.

"That was a little harsh." said Bumi.

Kya;

"You're taking his side now?"

Bumi;

"Of course not, I'm just saying you've always been a bit cold, is all"

Kya;

"What?!"

Tenzin;

"Okay, enough!"

Why can't you two grow up?

Kya;

"Oh, us? Seems to me that it's you",

Who should try it sometime

Bumi;

"Yup!"

Tenzin;

So it's like that, I swear you will never change!

Celestia;

Whoa, whoa, don't get upset

Let's get back on the same page

Tenzin;

Well, thanks for trying to help me find my child

Though your attitudes weren't exactly very mild

Okay, run up the hill and let me find her

Don't need your support

"Goodbye."

Luna;

"Wait!"

Tenzin;

Cause life's too shor--"

Kya;

Oh, there it is!

The door you love to slam in our face

You did well at the council, but now you're back in the same place

Keep us away if you want, but we're the only ones who

Are not trying so hard to be "Aang version 2"

Tenzin gasped and scowled at his sister.

Tenzin;

You can think whatever you want cause I don't care

You left home to go off and party

Kya;

That is so unfair!

Bumi kept dancing to the singing, until Celestia took his chin with her hoof and turned him to his siblings and the man stopped dancing.

Kya and Tenzin;

I swear!

I'm through with taking your un-shaking sibling support!

Ha!

Life's too short!

To waste another minute

Life's too short to even have you in it

Life's too short!

Luna;

"Enough! I believe we have all heard plenty as to what you think of each other. Now could you please stop arguing and let us all search for Ikki?"

Tenzin and Kya both scowled at one another, before Tenzin took the lead. As the brother and sister headed down the hillside. The sisters both sighed sadly.

"Personally, I thought that was kind of fun." Bumi said, making the two sisters arc their eyebrows in annoyance at him.

(~)

It was getting darker, the sun had already set and the moon began to rose up into the night sky. Luna's eyes shimmered at the sight. The moon looked so different than the one she always rose back in Equestria. Somehow, it glowed with more life and beauty than her own. Even though Luna had no power over its rotation or the stars that shone above, it didn't bother her in the slightest. Seeing the moon rise all on its own was magical in its own way, even to her. Strangely enough, the more she looked upon it, the more connected she felt to it. It was as if looking at it gave her a strength. She could feel its stunning beauty and 'magic' flowing through her body like a waging wave. This world truly was magical.

Even after traveling all day long, Tenzin, Kya, Bumi and the princesses were still no closer to finding Ikki. Celestia and Luna lit up the way with their horns. Bumi then regain reminiscing his times as a navy commander, "You know, this reminds me of a search-and-rescue mission I commanded years ago in the mountains outside of Ba Sing Se."

Luna rolled her eyes and Tenzin groaned. "Here we go."

The former commander started narrating, "For five days, we scoured the beast of a mountain, fighting our ways through buzzards, sandstorms, and three typhoons. Finally, we found the men huddled in a cave, seconds from death. With no time to lose, I piled all twelve of those poor souls on my back and single-handedly carried them down the mountain to safety."

Tenzin turned around to face his brother and snapped at him. "And how exactly is that supposed to help us find Ikki?"

"It was supposed to inspire you. Clearly, you know nothing about being a leader of men. That's probably why the Avatar fired you." Bumi then felt two pairs of eyes narrowing in disapproval at him. The man rose his shoulders and lowered his head in shame. "Forgive me for my remark, your majesties."

"You should." said Luna, "That was very uncalled for."

"With all due respect, Luna, I don't need you two defending me." Tenzin said before turning to his brother, "And I'm sick of your far-fetched tales. Three typhoons?"

"Well, I may have thrown in an extra typhoon or two for dramatic effect, but--"

"Boys, Kya and I found footsteps." Celestia said and Tenzin ran ahead, "Come on!"

Together, they ran down the path, following the footsteps near a waterfall. Bumi smiled cockily before leaping ahead onto the rocks that stood alongside the waterfall. A long way down bellow was a cold pool with hard rocks rising up from the water.

"No, follow me!" Bumi exclaimed as he leaped onto the rocks, "This will get us down fifty times faster."

"Bumi, it's pitch black and the rocks are slippery. You're gonna hurt yourself." his sister warned him.

"Bumi, for once, listen to your sister." Luna insisted, but the man simply jump down the rocks and began climbing down the side of the mountain beside the waterfall. This man was just plain stubborn.

"Come on, you wimps! If I can do it, it should be no problem for a couple of benders."

Kya rolled her eyes, "Fine." with swift gentle movements, Kya descended down the waterfall using her waterbending to hold her in a half moon formation. Tenzin leaped from ledge to ledge with his airbending to boost his leap. Both siblings overtook their older brother, who grumbled. The princesses stayed beside him, hoping to help in any way.

"You were right, Bumi! That was faster!" Kyat shouted teasingly from down below.

"At least fifty times faster, by my calculations." Tenzin said before chuckling along with his sister.

"Oh, so Tenzin's the funny guy now." Bumi grumbled. Both princesses hovered beside him, their feathered wings flapping. "We can help you get down." Celestia said kindly.

"No, no, I'll get myself down. I've been in worse scrapes than this." Bumi insisted, but in his mind he questioned his decision, of course he would never admit it. Not with Tenzin and Kya around.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, don't' worry about me."

The sister exchanged worried looks before flying down and landing beside Tenzin and Kya. "If you need an airlift down, just say the word." Tenzin offered.

"Bah, I don't need your help. I've got everything under control." but then Bumi started to slip and fell into the water. "AH!" the man screamed as he fell down.

"Bumi!"

Bumi closed his eyes shut, waiting for the impact, screaming as he fell. But was surprised to see that he had stopped falling, and his body was now surrounded by a sparkly blue aura. Luna softly hovered him towards them, rising on a few feet above the water. Bumi stubbornly crossed him arms, "I could have gotten down on my own you know."

Luna pouted at the man's ungratefulness and the aura around him disappeared. Bumi screamed in terror as he fell down hard on the ground. Luna turned her head away, her nose held high.

"Hmp! You are welcome."

"Oh! My head!"

(~)

Kya was nearly done healing dazed Bumi with the glowing effect of her waterbending. The glowing waters circling around his head. "I apologize for that immature act, Bumi." Luna said. "At the very least you did not get severally injured."

"I told you those rocks were slippery." Kya said, "And Luna's right, you're lucky she was there to make sure you didn't kill yourself."

"You done with the lecture, Mom?"

"Oh, grow up! You haven't changed one bit since we were kids. You're still trying to prove you can do everything a bender can. Well, you can't. Deal with it."

"And you're not our mother. You don't get to tell me what I can and can't do. Deal with that."

Fed up with his attitude, Kya stopped waterbending, causing the water to splash onto Bumi. "Good luck healing yourself with your special nonbonding powers."

"Hey, hey, back me up here, Tenzin."

"Kya's right." Tenzin said, "You're the oldest of us, but you always acted like the youngest. I had to become the responsible one."

"You think you're the responsible one?" Kya said, visibly insulted by this, "Where were you after Dad died and Mom was all alone? Because I was the Only one who packed up and moved my whole life to be with her."

"Sure, after years of flitting around the world, trying to find yourself. It was time for you to settle down somewhere." Tenzin's tone grew more agitated, "You two have no idea how it feels to have the future of an entire culture on your shoulders."

The royal sisters looked at Tenzin in pity and surprise.

"Oh, boo-boo. Must've been real hard for you, flying around the world with Dad, riding elephant koi all day." Bumi said sarcastically.

"Oh, so that's what this is all about." Tenzin said angrily.

"That's what it's always been about." said Kya, "You think you're some savior who has to carry on Dad's legacy."

"Well who else is going to do it?"

"How about all of us?"

"Yeah, we're Aang's kids too." Bumi said, pointing a thumb at himself.

"We never should have come on this vacation." Kya said, making the princesses gasp in shock.

"I couldn't agree more." Bumi said.

"Kya, Bumi, please. Don't be rash." Luna pleaded.

"Well, I didn't want you to come in the first place." Tenzin confessed.

Life's too short!

Kya;

To have you always push us aside

To maintain our father's legacy

Tenzin covered his ears, ignoring his sister, "La, la, la, la, la, la!"

Life's too short!

Tenzin;

To listen to the reckless fools!

Who only ever see the things they want to see

Bumi;

You don't know--

Tenzin;

You have no idea--

Tenzin, Kya, and Bumi;

What I've been through!

Because of you!

Life's too short to waste another minute

Life's too short to even have you in it!

Life's too short!!

Tenzin;

"I can't stand being around you two right now. Go back to the temple and see if Ikki returned. I'll keep looking out here."

Bumi;

"Fine."

Kya;

"Fine"

Tenzin;

"Fine!"

And so, Kya and Bumi walked back to the air temple, leaving Tenzin behind with Celestia and Luna. Both sisters exchanged knowing glances and nodded in silent agreement. Luna flew on ahead behind Kya and Bumi while Celestia stayed with Tenzin. The princess placed a sympathetic hoof on Tenzin's shoulder, "Come on. Let's go find, Ikki." the two headed out, Celestia turned her head and her younger sister smiled in return.

It was time for them to do what they came here to do.

(~)

Tenzin and Celestia continued their search all night. Daylight came and they had yet to find the child. They searched practically the whole island and were both exhausted. Neither had any sleep, but even so, once the sun rose up, Celestia took her time to marvel at its beauty.

"Tenzin, look."

The air nomad stopped and looked up as the sun rose from behind the mountain range, painting the air in its stunning orange glow. "Isn't it beautiful?"

Celestia smiled at the sight, that same warm and powerful sensation grew inside of her once more. But Tenzin did not appreciate the beauty as much as the princess did.

"Yes, lovely. But don't you think we should keep searching for Ikki?"

"I'm sure Ikki would want you to appreciate this. The sunrise represents a new day. A new beginning. To forget what happened the day before, because all that truly matters now is what today holds."

Tenzin smiled at the princesses wise words. But even so, his worry for his daughter prevented him from truly enjoying this moment. "Come on, we must keep looking." Celestia looked on sadly at the man as he walked on ahead. How was it that humans failed to truly appreciate what they had?

As they continued to walk around the mountain, Tenzin called out his daughter's name. "Ikki, Ikki, where are you?" as he called a couple of ring-tailed winged lemurs landed on his head. The man tried to shake them away, "Shoo! Go bother someone else. You two are worse than Kya and Bumi."

Celestia gently brushed the lemurs away with her wings. "Tenzin, I understand your frustration. But I think you're being a bit too hard on your brother and sister."

"Celestia, you wouldn't understand."

"Actually….I do."

The air nomad was surprised by the princesses words. How could she possibly understand what he was going through?

"Just like you, I too once believed I had a lot to live up to from my parents. Especially my father. He was a wise, courageous and honest ruler. All of Equestria adored him. As a young filly, my biggest dream was to become just like him. I would spent countless hours studying magic, learning what I needed to know. I was so focused on what I wanted, that I began to neglect my own little sister." Celestia said the last part with sincere regret, and Tenzin empathized with her sadness, "My father did whatever he could to bring peace to Equestria, even if it meant doing something he didn't want to do. I followed his example…the day I had to banish my own sister. I believe that NightMare Moon's wrath was partly my fault. I made my sister feel inferior at times without even knowing it. It's something I've regretted for years."

Tenzin lowered his gaze in sadness, "I…I had no idea."

"Please, don't make the same mistakes I made. Don't put your duties before family."

Tenzin did not say a word, the princess's words rang with so much wisdom and integrity. Both friends were startled when they heard a familiar voice.

"Okay, everybody here?"

Tenzin immediately recognized the voice. "Ikki! Oh, thank goodness." He and Celestia both spotted a cave, and saw the young airbender sitting around a raised platform, surrounded by a circle of four baby flying bisons.

"Jupiter Lightning bug, paws off the table! This is going to be a civilized breakfast. Daddy always says a blessing before we eat, so…" a calf stumbled over another, "be quiet and listened up!" Ikki exclaimed and the two calves looked at Ikki. Celestia giggled at the scene and she and Tenzin ran to the entrance of the cave, stopping when they were near the child and her new friends. The young girl started to pray, "We are thankful for this super yummy food and for being the best-est new friends in the world." Tenzin and Celestia smiled at this, "But we are most thankful because Meelo and Jinora aren't here, because they stink." Tenzin and Celestia's smiled turned into frowns. Ikki was still pretty ticked off with her siblings. Finally, Ikki noticed the new guest to her party, "Oh! Hi, Daddy. Hi, Princess Celestia. I guess you found me. Do I have to go now?"

Celestia turned to Tenzin, smiling kindly, silently asking him to allow her to play with her new friends. "Actually, is there room for one more?" Tenzin asked.

"Make that two." said Celestia.

"Uh, sure. You can sit next to Blueberry Spicehead" Ikki said, "And Celestia, you can sit next to Twinkle Starchild."

Tenzin and Celestia both took their respective seats next to the bison calves. One of the calf's looked at Tenzin, "Nice to meet you, Blueberry Spicehead." he greeted. Ikki began introducing the rest of her new friends,

"And that's Princess Rainbow, Jupiter Lightning Bug, and Celestia, you already know Twinkle Starchild." The little calf nuzzled against the princess, who smiled at the creature's cuteness, "They're my new brothers and sisters."

"New ones?" Celestia asked, "But what about Meelo and Jinora?"

"Oh, we don't talk about them here." Ikki said with a pout.

"Can they be my new brothers and sisters too?" Tenzin asked, earning a semi surprised look from the princess.

"Maybe, but only of they say it's okay." Ikki land into the bison calf sitting to her left, and began to listen to it, "Uh--huh, uh--huh. No, no, he's nice. They say it's okay."

Tenzin smiled at this. He did not forget Celestia's advice, but he sure did need a break from his siblings. How could he make amends with them if they were completely nuts? Celestia knew that Tenzin was not completely getting the message. But none the less, the princess smiled mischievously. She still had another trick up her crown.

(~)

Kya was sitting cross-legged on the patio, meditating to calm her nerves. She was broken from her concentration when she heard the sound of hooves approaching. She immediately knew who is was.

"Hello, Luna."

"Hello Kya. I see you're still upset."

The waterbender lowered her head sadly, "I don't get why I feel so bad. I wasn't wrong."

"No, you weren't." Luna said, "I agree, your brother really does need to keep his priorities in order. But, even so, you were not doing him any favors by being angry."

Kya got up on her feet and looked at the princess alicorn. "He's been trying so hard all of this time to be just like our father, our father who hardly paid any attention to me or Bumi! Why would he want to be like him?"

"Believe me, I understand."

"No offense but, how could you?"

"Because, I know what it's like to have a sibling who tries so hard to become like our parent. And yes while half of the fault was indeed my sister's, another part of it was mine." Kya looked at her in curiosity as she continued, "You see, our father, he was one of the original rulers of Equestria. Much like your father, he had to make many sacrifices for his subjects. My sister, being the eldest, wanted to follow in his hoof-steps. But when she did, she began to neglect me. I use to feel my parents payed more attention to Celestia rather than me. I thought my bitterness was because of my jealousy towards her, but really, it was because I didn't feel like I had a sister to be there for me."

Kya looked down at her friend sadly. While she did know about how she was once jealous of Celestia, she had no idea Luna felt that way. In a lot of ways, it kind of mirrored Kya's situation.

"When our father passed, I was so angry and confused, I even began to unfairly blame her for it, when deep down I knew that was not the case. I was proud and selfish and I wished to be angry at someone because I felt like the victim. I don't believe you are really mad at Tenzin or wish he was not your brother. On the contrary, you wish your relationship was better, because by the end of it all, it is not really him you are mad at. Are you?"

Kya turned her gaze away, "No…"

(~)

Back in the cave, Tenzin was happily petting the calf next to him, speaking in a cooing voice, "You like that, don't you, Blueberry Spicehead? Yes, you do." the calf snuggled against Tenzin, "You know, I could get used to it here. No one's yelling at me or telling me I'm delusional."

"We should have Uncle Bumi and AUnt Kya to come and visit." Ikki suggested, "I bet they'd like it too."

But Tenzin didn't like the idea, "Let's not. They'll only spoil our good mood."

"What do you mean?" Ikki asked, "Aunt Kya is super nice and pretty and always asks me how I'm feeling. And Uncle Bumi is, like, the funniest person in the world."

"But what about Meelo?" Tenzin asked, "He's hilarious too, you never know what's going to come out of his mouth. And Jinora can be so sweet and gentle."

"And mean. And bossy." Ikki scowled before her expression saddened, "Being part of a family is hard, hu?"

"I couldn't agree with you more." Tenzin said.

"Celestia, do you have problems with your sister, too?" Ikki asked

"Well, even we don't always get along all the time. But that comes with the territory." both father and daughter listened attentively to the princess's wise words. Music began to fill the air,

("Family" from The Land Before Time: The Big Freeze)

Celestia;

"What makes a family, anyways?"

Is it someone who looks like you?

Is it someone who acts like you?

Is it someone who stays beside you when you rest?

Is it someone who speaks like you?

Can airbend like you

Or is it someone that we like the best?

Because, I believe family, family, is more than being friends

When you're family, family

The loving never ends

Celestia gazed to the outside of the cave, meanwhile Luna was with Kya near the temple balcony.

Luna;

There was a time when I, would give anything to shine

To have a place in this world to call mine

But even despite the strife

There was still a hole in my heart

The one thing I have longed for my whole life

It was family, family

A sister to call my own

I know family, family, is the need that is shown

Kya lowered her gaze. She may argue with her brothers, but deep down, she always wanted them to be closer. If only she had not let her own bitterness and even jealousy get the better of her.

Kya;

Tenzin is a know it all

Bumi hardly thinks, at all

But I recall all the things that we've been through

They're family, family

Though we can't always have our way

They will always be my family

And family they'll stay

Ikki joined in the song,

Ikki;

I guess someone that you like can make you angry

Celestia;

That's something that we have to rise above

Though families are different

One thing remains the same

The princess looked at Tenzin, who smiled,

Tenzin;

At the heart of every family…is love

Celestia smiled proudly. Tenzin finally realized the truth.

Tenzin, Ikki, Celestia;

And family, family, is something strong and fine

You will always be part of my family

Kya;

They will always be

A very, very big part of mine…

The bison calves flew out of the cave, with Tenzin, Ikki and Celestia exiting the cave. The calves reunited with their mother who flew above them, as the calves happily flew in circles around her.

"You're right Celestia." Ikki said, "I guess the nice part about family is they'll always be there for you. Even though Twinkle Starchild and Princess rainbow fight, they still love each other."

"That's very wise of you. Ikki." her father said proudly.

"We should probably head back, huh?"

"I suppose. We can't hide in this cave forever." Tenzin took hold of his daughter's hand as they and Celestia walked down the path.

"Don't worry, Daddy. We'll come back and visit Blueberry Spice head. I know you really bonded with her."

"Yes, I'd like that."

Family

(~)

Bumi stood in front of the statue of his late father. "Uh…Hey there, Dad. You're looking well. Look, Uh, I'm sorry I didn't turn out to be an airbender like you hoped. But I've tried my best to keep the world safe. Hope I made you proud."

"Of course he'd be proud of you, Bumi."

"Kya! Luna! I--I was just, uh..cleaning off Dad's statue." he wiped Aang's statue and chuckled coughed, "It's so dusty in here."

Kya simply smiled and opened her arms wide, "Come here." the two siblings embraced in a warm hug. "Thanks, Kya. You always know when I need a hug."

"We should really apologize to Tenzin, too." Kya said as they ended the hug.

"Why should we? After the way he talked to us."

"You have to admit, we didn't behave any better. Look, I know the two of us have always been a bit jealous of Tenzin and his relationship with dad. But Luna helped me realize that no matter how much we argue and no matter how many mistakes the three of us have made…we're still family. And that's all I ever really wanted. So, we really shouldn't be tied down to the mistakes of the past, because if we do…we lose sight of what really matters."

Luna smiled as she wiped away a single tear.

"Yeah, maybe you're right." Bumi said as she scratched the back of his head, "I guess we both let our jealousy get the better of us." the commander turned to the moon princess, "Thank you, Princess Luna."

"No thanks are necessary."

"Would you like to join in the hug?" The princess was a bit surprised by this invitation, but she accepted nonetheless. The princess hugged her new friends.

(~)

Finally, Tenzin, Ikki and Celestia returned to the air temple. Pema quickly ran to greet her husband and daughter while Luna rushed to her sister. The two sisters hugged one another.

"Sweetie! You're okay!" Pema hugged Ikki tightly, "I was so worried!" she looked over her shoulder to Jinora and Meelo, "Do you have something to say to your sister?"

"Ikki, I'm glad you're back." Meelo said.

"Yeah, sorry we made fun of you." Jinora said sincerely.

"Thanks. Wanna play airball?"

"Sure!"

"Yeah!" Meelo shouted happily and the three siblings ran off to play. Tenzin approached his own siblings. "I want to apologize for how I acted yesterday. I've worked so hard to celebrate Dad's legacy that I may have overlooked the parts of him that were less than ideal."

"And we're sorry for summing our frustrations with Dad out on you." Kya said.

"Yeah, you didn't deserve that." said Bumi. Kya reached into her pocket and unfolded a piece of paper, "I thought you two might wanna see this. Mom gave it to me before we left."

The three siblings all looked happily at the family photo of them and their parents, Aang and Katara. "That's one good-looking family, huh?" asked Bumi.

"That's one happy family." Tenzin stated. The three siblings smiled with pride. Celestia and Luna leaned against one another, also smiling with equal pride. Suddenly, the two sisters self a sudden jolt course up through their spines. Images of glowing red eyed flashed before their eyes, followed by echoes of frightened ponies. They immediately gasped in realization, startling the family.

"Are you okay?" Bumi asked the princesses.

Luna shook her head to clear. The two looked at one another, silently exchanging a message via their facial expressions. "I'm sorry to say this everyone, but I'm afraid Luna and I must cut our trip short."

"Is something wrong?" Tenzin asked.

"Nothing to worry about." Celestia said with a calm smile, "That just happens when we're needed sometimes. It seems somepony back home needs us."

Bumi lowered his shoulders sadly, "Do you have to leave? We were just having fun."

Luna lowered her ears in sadness, "We're sorry. But we did have a wonderful time with you all. We hope to do this again, hopefully an extended visit."

Luna walked towards Kya and Bumi, her ears lower in sadness, "It was wonderful getting to know you both. Hopefully we can do this again, soon." the siblings hugged the moon princess. Celestia hugged Pema, "Thank you for having us."

"Of course. And you are more than welcome to visit the Air Temple in Republic City."

"I can't thank you enough Celestia." Tenzin said, "You really helped me reconnect with my family."

"Well, I guess your separation from Korra wasn't a complete lost after all." Celestia said with a wink. Tenzin chuckled, he wasn't upset about not being Korra's teacher right now. In fact, in some strange way, Korra kind of did him a favor by pushing him away for a while. He would have to mention this to her once they met up again. Celestia and Tenzin embraced in a hug.

"Take care of your family, Tenzin."

"I will."

Once they ended the hug, the two sister opened up their wings and flew upwards, Luna magically conjured up the prophecy book and opened the portal, allowing the two to enter.

(~)

The cloaked unicorn stood inside the throne room when the princesses arrived. "We received your message, mother!" Celestia said. She noticed that the unicorn looked very worried underneath her hood. "Are you alright?'

"What's wrong?" Luna asked. Their mother looked over to the window, not saying a word. Her hood remained over her head, blocking her face from their view. "Mother?"

Their mother could see their reflection from the window. She sighed sadly. "It would appear I have misjudged Unalaq."

"Mother, what is happening?" Luna asked, already growing anxious.

The cloaked unicorn turned to face them. Her tone erie. "Equestria is changing."

The princesses gasped, for they knew very well to what she was referring to. "You mean--?"

"Yes. The day I predicted would come is upon us. And he knows it too. I need the book."

Celestia gave her mother the book without question. The unicorn levitated the book and prepared to activate the portal, but just as she placed her hoof to pass through, the orb rejected her, releasing streams of electricity across the throne room. The ponies ducked away from the volts before they stopped. The portal remained, but the cloaked unicorn panted.

"No. I was afraid of this."

"Why can't you go through?" Celestia asked.

"The portal is also aware of what is to come, that's why it summoned you both back here. From here on out, none of us can leave Equestria at this time. I may be able to warn Korra in person...but I can still alert her." she levitated the prophesy book, flipping through the pages until she reached the one she was looking for and started writing something else down. Once she was done, she ripped the pages out. She rolled them up and sent them through the portal before it disappeared. "It may take a while, but hopefully she will receive it before things get worse."

"Isn't there anything else we can do?"

"All we can do now is protect our kingdom, and hope the girls can prevent him from escaping. If he does manage to break free….there will be nothing left."

(~)

Author's Note:

Sorry for the long wait you guys, I've been pretty swamped. I guess you can all pretty much guess what's coming up next. Now, I don't want to spoil anything but, let's just say the whole Makorra and Masami fiasco will not be so annoying in this story. In fact, I have a feeling you might like this version of it better. BTW, the last song is from The Land Before Time the Big Freeze.