• Published 22nd Aug 2014
  • 9,376 Views, 42 Comments

The Little Pony Legend 2: Spirits of Courage - MaggiesHeartLove



The Mane Six and Avatar Korra are back in an all new adventure unlike anything they had faced before.

  • ...
16
 42
 9,376

The Southern Lights

The Southern Lights

Korra and the Mane Six were laughing without end, Twilight now carrying their new journal in her satchel. The girls and Spike were leaving the old palace of the two royal sisters and walking out of the Everfree Forest.

"Man, Applejack, you were so scared!" Rainbow teased.

"I wasn't scared, and we still haven't concluded who's the most daring pony, yet!" said Applejack.

"Will you two, please give it a rest." Rarity said, earning a chuckle from Korra.

"I'm sorry you didn't find anything useful for your research on that chest, Twilight."

"That's okay, Korra. We may not have gotten any new information about it, but at least we've all learned a very important lesson. I really am glad you came along."

"Are you kidding? Searching old abandoned castles, learning more about magic, what could be better?"

"I hate to say the feeling isn't entirely mutual." said Fluttershy.

Finally, the girls exited the forest, but then Korra stopped on her tracks. She turned around and felt a presence.

"Korra? You okay?" Rainbow asked.

"Yeah. You girls go on ahead, I'll catch up." The ponies walked a few steps ahead, but nonetheless, they stayed close by. Korra walked a bit deeper into the forest, and heard the sound once more. "I know you're there." she said. The shadowing figure slightly emerged, all that was visible were her stunning pink eyes hiding underneath her hood. Now some would be suspicious about this creature, but Korra had a sure vibe she was not dangerous at all.

"Could you please come out? I won't hurt you."

"I know you won't." the figure said in a feminine voice. It sounded somewhat young, but also kind of old, not 'grandma old, but old as in by listening to it, you could tell that the owner has had years and years of experience and wisdom to share.

"Then come out. Please?"

"Polite. Interesting."

Korra slightly chuckled, "If it helps, let me introduce myself. I'm Korra."

Slowly, the figure emerged, revealing a dark blue unicorn with pink eyes and a warm and elegant complexion. She was just as tall as Princess Celestia. Korra smiled once her new friend came into the light.

"Celestia and Luna have told me so much about you. I can't believe I'm finally meeting you." the Avatar said with glee.

"The feeling is mutual, young Avatar."

"One thing I don't get; why didn't you show yourself before?"

"I've grown accustomed to working in the shadows. I've never been one who enjoyed the spotlight. That, and I wanted our first meeting to be in private."

"Really? How come?" Korra asked curiously.

"Let's just say, you remind of someone. Someone I knew long ago."

"Someone? Don't you mean 'somepony'?"

"Yes. Of course."

"So, can I know your name?"

The unicorn smiled kindly before speaking in a warm voice…

"My name…is Leilani."

……………

"lani…lani…lani…."

Korra opened her eyes and sat up. She was dreaming about her first meeting with the mysterious Leilani. For the past six months she had gotten to know her mysterious new friend, though she would often come and go, leaving almost to zero trace that she was ever around. Which was kind of was understandable. Then, Korra gasped with a happy smile and she began waking up the rest of her friends.

"Girls! Spike! Get up! Come on, we've gotta hurry!" the excitable Avatar jumped up as the other ponies all yawned and stretched their legs, rubbing their sleepy eyes.

"Let's go, the sun's up, and so are we!"

Rarity groaned, her bed-mane covering half of her face, "I liked you better when you weren't a morning person."

(~)

The sky was clear blue and the snow beneath shimmered in the sunlight. On a nearby cliff, a dark spirit manifested and looked out over the festival, its yellow eyes following the white beast that ran across the snow at full speed. The spirit spotted the young woman riding it. The colorful four legged creatures rode with her while three more flew beside her.

Korra was currently riding on Naga, the ponies happily beside her, as they made their way into town. Today was Korra's first day as Unalaq's new student. She was so excited to learn about the spirits and her uncle's mysterious waterbending spell he used on them. She was so wrapped up in her thoughts that she was only awoken when Fluttershy gasped and pointed her hoof straight ahead.

Korra instinctively pulled on the reigns and Naga came to a pretty rough halt, slightly sliding on the snow to her side. Korra jumped off of Naga's saddle and she and Fluttershy rushed towards the small arctic mammal, an arctic fox, which was shaking in fear, with snow on top of its fur. Korra felt sympathy for the creature and gently brushed the snow off of it. The fox looked up at the Avatar with its beautiful big brown eyes. Korra smiled warmly at the creature and scratched behind its ear. The creature relaxed against her touch and licked Korra's hand before nuzzling against Fluttershy's legs.

"See? No harm done." Korra said, "Try and be more careful next time, okay little buddy?"

The fox let out a faint purr and ran off. Unbeknownst to Korra and the others, the dark spirit witnessed the whole thing before vanishing into thin air.

(~)

Unalaq was quite surprised to see his niece and her ponies so soon. He had just finished mounting his arctic camel in the stables of the city when Korra and the ponies excitedly ran up to him.

“You're early.”

“Hard to believe. Normally Korra hates waking at this hour.” said Applejack as she and the others jumped out of Naga's saddle.

“The morning is eviiiiiiiiilllllll!” Pinkie Pie quoted dramatically.

“What can I say? I'm pumped up to learn that Unalaq spirit technique.” Korra said excitedly. While they talked, Fluttershy flew to one of the giant white camels and petted his head.

“Yeah, so Uncle U, when is Korra gonna be kicking some serious dark spirit butt?” Rainbow asked as she threw punches and kicks in mid air.

Unalaq slightly chuckled at the pony's enthusiasm, “I'm not here to teach you to fight spirits, I'm here to help you begin your spiritual training.”

Rainbow Dash slowly lowered down in disappointment, “Way to make it sound boring.”

“Don't worry, my dear. I assure you, this expedition will be anything but boring."

"Expedition?" Twilight asked, intrigued by this new information.

"Yes. We're going to one of the most remote places in the world.”

Pinkie jumped up and remained suspended in mid air in front of Unalaq's face as she asked, "What kind of place?” she landed back on the ground.

“The long neglected spiritual center of our tribe…the South Pole.” said Unalaq.

Korra was quite surprised by this, “You're going to train me in the South Pole?” she asked.

Pinkie jumped and stayed in mid air again, “Aren't we already in the South Pole?”, she asked before landing again.

“I'm actually referring to the wilderness of the South Pole.” Unalaq explained. Korra remained skeptical. The South Pole was a frozen wasteland, all that was there were snowstorms and wildlife. What good would come out of her training there?

This grabbed both Rarity and Fluttershy's attention as they exclaimed in unison, “The wilderness?!” their tones were anything but enthusiastic.

“Can't you simply teach Korra here in the city? Where it's civilized and clean?” said the unicorn.

“And safe.” Fluttershy added while shaking and hiding behind Korra's legs.

“We will do more than just train." said Unalaq, "By neglecting the spirits the people of the south have brought darkness upon themselves. And now it threatens to destroy our tribe.”

The girls' eyes widened at this news, they had no idea that the problem with spirits was even more drastic than they realized. Spike felt his skin crawl, “Yikes. Note to self: do not tick off any spirits.”

"That would explain what I felt when the spirit attacked me." said Korra.

“We must set things right." Unalaq continued, "The southern water tribe depends on you.”

Korra's previous doubts about her choice were now just a distant memory. She was right to stay with Unalaq, the spirits clearly needed the Avatar in order to bring peace again to the South. This was Korra's chance to live up to her potential. This was her chance to play her part. The Avatar flashed her signature grin.

“A dangerous trip to the South Pole?”

She and the ponies all looked at each other. Twilight, Applejack, Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash all grinned in agreement but Rarity and Fluttershy both looked unsure. They looked at each other briefly and sighed before smiling at Korra. Spike gave a thumbs up while Twilight winked.

“Count us in!” they all said in union.

(~)

“Alright! This vacation just got twenty percent cooler!” said Rainbow Dash as she and the others walked out in the snow, while Korra rode on Naga.

“Wow, your very first step to getting in touch with the spirits. You must be over the moon Korra.” said Applejack.

“I am excited. Well, more like 'nervexcited'." Korra said jokingly.

Pinkie poked her hoof at Applejack in triumph, “HA! I told you it would catch on!”

“Don't worry, Korra. Besides, you've got us. Whenever you need us.” Twilight assured her before she nuzzled Korra's face and so did Rainbow Dash. Twilight then glared at Rarity who remained quiet. “Right, Rarity?”

“What? Do you really think I would abandon my dear Avatar just because the South Pole could be crawling with those, "icky" spirits? Huf! The very idea!”

Korra smiled graciously, “Thanks you guys.”

“Well, if we're going to the South Pole I suppose I should get my things ready. Now where is that Mako?”

Rarity galloped away to search for the firebender with Spike following behind her, “Hey, wait for me!”

(~)

The Southern Air Temple came into view as Tenzin stirred Oogie towards it. Tenzin smiled at the sight of his father's home. The temple rested high up on a mountain range with numerous buildings adorning the mountain, added with lush green trees and high mountains around it. One single building stood tall above the rest, which was the sanctuary where they kept statues of all the past Avatars. The temple was colored in the purest of white with blue roofs and windows. It was truly a breathtaking sight.

"There it is, the Southern Air Temple. Isn't it magnificent?"

It has been so long since Tenzin had been to the temples. It was a chance for him to reconnect with his roots. Perhaps it wasn't such a bad thing that he and Korra had temporarily parted. Maybe now he can focus on his family before returning to her.

Two Air Acolytes, who had been sweeping the outside gardens while another fed three ring-tailed lemurs, turned in surprise as Oogi flew in and he landed before them. The Acolytes immediately stopped what they were doing and walked toward the bison, two of them carrying a large case.

One bowed at Tenzin. Like all Air Acolytes, he wore a long robe consisting or res, orange and yellow and his head was shaved. "Master Tenzin, welcome!"

"Good to see you again, Abbot Shung."

Shung was practically the one in charge of of the Acolytes of the temple, and like them, he remained true to the Airbender ways. Once he heard that the son of Avatar Aang would be visiting, Shung wasted no time in making sure that Tenzin's visit went exactly as the Air Nomad wanted.

"Is there anything you need? Water? Dandelion greens? Ahh, perhaps you'd like to recenter yourself by meditating in the gardens?" he asked in a polite and respectful yet kind manner.

"No thank you, I'm fine." Tenzin said politely as his wife walked by and stood beside him.

"And you must be the honorable Pema" Shung said, "Please, accept these gifts." Shung reached into the case and pulled out and odd contraption, which he handed to Tenzin, "This is an ancient airbender head shaver we've refurbished just for you."

Tenzin looked at the object, unsure how to respond. He was used to shaving his head the semi-old fashion way…with a razor. But this was WAY old fashioned. The object itself looked rather painful and it was hard to distinguish just how it could be used.

"Uh. Okay?"

Then, Shung handed Pema a massive bouquet of brightly colored flowers, "And Pema! These flowers once filled the mountainside! Now, they can brighten up your room."

Pema was just as unsure to respond as her husband. The bouquet was so large it covered up her face, "That's…sweet? Y--You didn't have to,"

"Nonsense! Whatever you need is yours. Anything for the mother of the next generation of airbenders."

"No! That gift is mine!" Ikki exclaimed as she took away the book a female Acolyte gave her.

"You don't like to read!" Jinora pointed out, only to have her younger sister stick out her tongue at her.

"Yep, those are the world's next generation of airbenders." Pema said rather sarcastically. Meelo appeared from behind the three Acolytes and jumped on the abbot's back, a lemur held in his hands.

"Mommy daddy look! I finally got a lemur! I'm gonna name him…Poki!"

The Lemur quickly flew away from the hyperactive child and Meelo jumped down from the abbot and formed and air scooted to chase the creature.

"Poki! Come back!"

Kya tossed down some bags from Oogie's back, for which hit Bumi and he grunted. Kya dropped down from the sky bison and Bumi sighed as he carried his bags.

"S'cuse me, a little help here?" Bumi said somewhat frustratingly at a nearby female Air Acolyte who was sweeping the courtyard. Noticing the siblings, she turned around and stopped sweeping.

"Sorry, I thought you were the servants."

"We're Tenzin's brother and sister!" Bumi corrected, becoming even more frustrated. The Air Acolyte was shocked,

"Avatar Aang had other children? The world is filled with more airbenders?" she asked excitedly.

"We're not airbenders." Kya responded calmly, but still upset.

"Oh…I'm so sorry." the Air Acolyte bowed her head, Kya and Bumi pouted, before glancing at each other.

"I hope we're not late."

Tenzin's eyes widened. He recognized that warm and kind voice anywhere. The Air Acolytes gasped in wonder as they saw two stunningly beautiful winged creatures with long horns growing from their foreheads and landed gracefully before them. The tallest was white as snow with a shimmering flowing mane and tail, the younger one beside her was almost as dark as the night sky with a mane and tail sparkling like stars and moving like gentle waves.

"Princess Celestia? Princess Luna?"

"Celestia! Luna!" Jinora and Ikki ran up to happily greet the princesses.

"Girls, it's so wonderful to see you." Celestia greeted.

"I'm so happy you finally made it!" Jinora said happily, "I didn't think you'd get here to early, though."

"Jinora?"

The young airbender turned around to face her father. "What is going on?"

Jinora placed her hands behind her back. "Um, the Princesses sent me a letter saying they were coming. I was going to tell you, honest. But, I wanted to wait for the right moment."

Tenzin crossed his arms and arched an eyebrow. "And when exactly would the right moment be?"

"When you weren't fighting with Aunt Kya and Uncle Bumi?"

Tenzin sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. Celestia simply chuckled. "It's alright Tenzin. It was all just a little slip up with the mail, it happens."

"Forgive me for asking but, why are you here?"

"Well, when your mother told us about you having a vacation to reconnect with family. So me and Luna decided to have one ourselves. And what better place than the Southern Air Temple."

"A nice change of scenery, if you ask me." Luna said. Tenzin was completely baffled by this. He was not expecting the rulers of Equestria to be joining him and his family on vacation. Granted, he didn't even know if the royals could even take vacations.

"Um, well with all due respect, your majesties, I was hoping to spend some quality time with my family….and those two." he glanced at his brother and sister, who both stuck out their tongues at him.

"I thought we considered each other family. Avatar Korra certainly does." Luna pointed out. Tenzin opened his mouth to protest but, he knew he couldn't. They were royal ancient beings, he couldn't disrespect them.

"Very well. Then it would be an honor to have you both join us." he said with a bow, and the sisters bowed in return.

"Hey, Luna!" Kya happily greeted the moon princess.

"Kya! Wonderful to see you again." the princess nodded her head at the non-bender, "Bumi." she greeted with a smile, but not as enthusiastic as when she saw Kya.

"Princess Luna." Bumi responded with a pout.

Luna turned back to Kya, "I look forward to spending time with you."

"We both do." said princess Celestia. Tenzin let out a silent sigh. He hoped this vacation would be worth it.

(~)

Later that day, everyone was getting ready for the journey as they packed their things onto their arctic camels. Once Korra was done arranging Naga's reins she looked down at Twilight, “Well, this is it.”

“Another adventure.” the princess added excitedly. The ponies were all wearing their winter parkas and full body jumpsuits underneath.

“Careful darling, I don't want any of my parka's getting wrinkled.” They heard Rarity said as Mako walked over carrying a large, and heavy, bag over his back.

The firebender landed the sack on the ground as he rubbed his sore back and panted in exhaustion. “Do you really need to bring all of these?" he asked, "We're going out into the frozen wilderness, not a royal ball.”

“Well what if a spirit or wild animal came and ripped my parka or gets dirt on it?”

Twilight lowered her brows at Rarity, “You do realize we're surrounded by snow, right?” she pointed out with an annoyed tone.

“Still, being out in the cold doesn't mean I can't be prepared, or look my best.” Rarity flipped her mane and Mako rolled his eyes.

“We still need room for Korra's things." he said, "Why don't you just take one or two instead?”

Rarity's eyes bulged open, “One or two? One or…TWO?! Are you mad, man?!”

Korra let out an exasperated sigh and came between the two of them. “Okay, let’s put an end to this before my boyfriend gets kicked in the gut by a pony…again!” she emphasized the word, making Mako cross his arms in annoyance. “Mako's right, Rarity. We still need to make more room for supplies.”

Rarity sighed bitterly, “I suppose.” then she used her secret weapon…big puppy eyes with quivering lips with lowered ears. Korra's primary weakness. But the Avatar was determined to not be the victim this time. She crossed her arms and scowled at the pony.

"That's not always gonna work on me, Rarity."

But the unicorn kept on doing the face. Slowly, Korra's expression softened, the effects of the pony's cuteness were taking its toll on her heart. Korra tried the best she could to fight it, but it was no use, the eyes were too strong. Finally, she gave in.

“Okay, okay!“ Korra reached her hand into the bag, rummaging through the parkas. She pulled out two parkas from the bag, one pink and one silver, showing them to Rarity. “How about this? You just take two of your most favorites?" she suggested.

But Rarity continued to pout, making the Avatar groaned in frustration, “Fine!” she once again dug into the bag and took out a navy blue parka, adding it to the other two. “Three most favorites. No more, no less, no "buts". Deal?”

Rarity looked at the three parkas and tapped her chin in thought. “Mmmmm. I suppose. Then again, maybe the magenta one is more--“

“Rarity!” Korra and Mako were already losing their patience.

“Alright, alright you win. Three it is.”

Korra smiled proudly, “Atta girl!” Rarity groaned, but then Korra scratched her ears and she smiled.

“I still think it's unnecessary.” said Mako.

“You want to hear her complain the whole trip?” Korra asked while arching an eyebrow and placing her hand on her hips.

Mako's eyes widened and quickly changed his bitter attitude and eagerly began packing the three parkas with their supplies, while smiling nervously. “Let me pack that up for ya, Ma'am!"

Korra and Rarity grinned in victory, “Good boy.”

“I thought you said Bolin was coming.” Twilight asked the firebender.

“He said he'd be here, but I can't worry about it." said Mako as he continued to arrange everything in Naga's saddle, "I have to make sure you have everything you need for a safe trip.”

“Awww, how sweet.” Twilight playfully teased.

Korra smiled and spoke sarcastically to her boyfriend, “Thanks Captain Expedition, but I'll be fine.”

“Besides, she's got us.” Applejack said confidently.

“Yeah, that's reassuring.” Mako said sarcastically, earning a death glare from Applejack. Mako held out his hands in surrender, “I'm kidding! Tough crowd.”

Korra chuckled lightly until she heard a sound coming their way. It sounded like a motor running. She turned her head around and her eyes widened upon whom she saw coming. Tonraq, riding on a snowmobile. Korra was confused as to why her father would be here of all places.

“Hey, I didn't know you invited your dad.” said Spike, sounding just as confused as the Avatar was feeling

“I…didn't." she replied, looking at her father curiously.

Unalaq, who had been packing, noticed his brother and scowled at him before approaching. “Tonraq, what do you want?”

“I heard you're taking Korra to the South Pole. I'm coming.” Tonraq crossed his arms, signaling he would not take 'no' for an answer.

“Absolutely not! You're a distraction to Korra and a hindrance to what needs to be done.”

“My daughter is not going without me! She needs someone to watch after her.”

“Dad, why do you always think you knows what's best for me?” Korra asked as she approached her father while riding on Naga, with Mako, Applejack, Rarity and Pinkie riding behind her and Spike rode on Twilight.

“Because he's your dad. Isn't that what dads do?” Spike pointed out.

“It's because he's misguided." said Unalaq, "The sad truth is it's men like your father who have put the spirit world out of balance.” Korra and the ponies shared surprised expressions as Unalaq continued, “He's ignored my warnings in the past and he hasn't learned since!”

“What happened in the past?” Korra asked.

“Surely it couldn't have been that awful…could it?” Rarity asked.

“It doesn't matter." said Tonraq, "What matters is the Everstorm.”

“The Everstorm?” Mako asked.

Spike didn't like the sound of that, the poor dragon began to quiver at the name. “Everstorm? Nobody said anything about an Everstorm!!...So, what's an Everstorm?”

“It's a massive blizzard that has battered the South Pole for decades.” Tonraq explained.

“Oh, joy.“ said Fluttershy both sarcastically and fearfully. As if going into the wilderness of the frozen tundra wasn't terrifying enough, Unalaq just added the cherry on that sunday.

Tonraq glared at his brother, “I'm coming, unless you think you can stop me.” he said stubbornly.

“OH! A staring contest!" Pinkie Pie shouted as she popped from behind Mako, starling him a bit. The two brothers both stared fiercely at each other, neither on refusing to back down to the other. They both, clearly, have very opposing views regarding the situation, but even so the trait they equally shared was their stubbornness and strong-wills. Seeing the two was starting to make Korra feel unusually uneasy. A knot formed in her stomach.

“Guys! Hey, wait for me!”

The two brother ended their angry glaring as they all saw Bolin zoom in on a slick snowmobile with an attached sidecar, wearing a new snowsuit with the Varrick industries logo on it. Mako, Korra and Twilight turned their heads to see Bolin, riding on a snowmobile of his own, and pulled up beside Naga. He removed the hood of his snick jacket and casually rested his elbow on the throttle.

“Check it out, I'm traveling in style!”

Rarity marveled at the vehicle he was riding on, “Style is right!”

Bolin's elbow then slipped, causing the snowmobile to jerk forward. He promptly stopped it before it went any further. “Sorry, still getting used to that throttle.”

“Uh, where'd you get the ride?” Mako asked with an amused smile. Korra smiled as well, completely forgetting about the previous feeling in her stomach upon seeing her father and uncle at odds.

Rainbow Dash flew near the vehicle, smiling in wonder. “This is so cool!”

“I got it from Varrick.” said Bolin.

“You mean mister "levitation"?” Spike said sarcastically while using air quotes when he said the word, 'levitation'.

“Yeah, he's awesome! He also gave me this fancy snowsuit! It's inflatable, with an internal heater, emergency beacon, and food ration pouches! I mean, if I get lost, I can survive in this thing for like, like a month!” He reached into one of his pockets and pulled out some treats, “Who wants some freeze dried cucumberquats?”

Pinkie Pie quickly grabbed them with her tongue, and ate the entire handful. She chewed with a great big smile, “Mmmmmm. Yummy!”

Pabu stuck out of Bolin's suit and jumped onto Pinkie Pie's head right before Spike jumped from Twilight's to sit in the front on Bolin's lap. “I call shotgun!” the dragon exclaimed excitedly.

Bolin then noticed the serious expressions from everyone, “Did I interrupt a conversation?”

“No, the conversation is over." Korra said strongly before turning to her father, "Dad, come if you want but don't interfere with my training.” She pulled on Naga's reins as they all prepared to leave, but not before another voice called out.

“Wait!”

Everybody turned their heads towards the sky and saw a familiar winged pony flying towards them. He landed safely before them, his hooves digging into the snow once he did and he carried a satchel around his neck. The alicorn princess's wings flapped faster for a brief moment before landing on the snow, her heart pounding rapidly in surprise.

“Flash Sentry? What are you doing here?” Twilight asked when she walked up towards him. He wasn't wearing his uniform, which left his spiky hair free in the wind and his cutie mark bear; a blue shield with a pale lightning bolt on the front. His blue mane was styled back but was still picky, making him appear all the more handsome. He bowed before Twilight.

“I'm sorry for the surprise visit, I hope I'm not interrupting anything."

"Oh, no, no, not at all! I was just--I mean, we were--I mean…you were saying?" Twilight blushed bashfully.

"Princess Celestia heard that Korra had decided to train with Chief Unalaq and asked me to give her this.” He reached inside the bag with his mouth and pulled out a sterling silver headband with swirled edges. It had a small blue heart in the very center. The very accessory shimmered in the sunlight. Twilight levitated the object with her magic.

“She said it's a gift for good luck, and to show that she believes in you.” Flash said.

Twilight levitated the headband towards Korra, who took it in her hands. She looked down at the lovely gift before gently placing it on her head. She was never one to use such stunning hair accessories, but it was a gift from Celestia, so it was an exception.

“Thank you, Flash.” she said and the pegasus bowed in respect.

“And also, Celestia asked me to join you guys.” he said. Taking everyone by surprise.

“WHAT?!”

Flash slightly backed away due to their reaction, “If that's going to be a problem, I'll leave.” he said as he opened up his wings to leave, but Twilight quickly stopped him.

“No! I--I mean, you don't have to.”

“Why did Celestia ask you to stay?” Mako asked somewhat suspiciously.

“She didn't say exactly, but she said I could learn a lot from all of you. As a royal guard of Canterlot, It would be my honor to learn from you and to assist the Avatar and Princess Twilight in any way I can.”

He bowed respectfully, again. Twilight flew up to Korra and Mako and gave them her puppy eyes, placed her front hooves together and whispered pleadingly, “Please, please, please, please let him stay. Please.”

“I don't mind.” said Korra while shrugging her shoulders. She looked over at Mako behind her, who looked a little unsure.

“I….don't see why not?”

Twilight and Korra smiled with glee, “Alright, you can stay Flash.” Korra said, earning a smile from the blue haired pony.

“Just stay aside until we need you. Got it?” Mako commanded.

Flash saluted him, “Got it, sir!”

Flash and Twilight both smiled at each other as Mako looked on at them. While he didn't have a problem with Twilight finding someone, something about Flash was suddenly making him feel a bit…uneasy but he wasn't sure why.

Korra pulled Naga's rains as they prepared to depart. Pinkie hopped onto Naga's back behind Mako. Rarity sat in front of Korra while Applejack was on Naga's head.

Eska approached Bolin, “Does this sidecar have the capacity for two passengers?” she asked in her usual monotone voice.

“Sure does." Bolin smiled flirtatiously as he patted the seat of the sidecar attached to his snowmobile. "But uh…who's gonna drive?”

(~)

Bolin hunched over in disappointment, his hood over his head, while Eska and Desna both sat together in the sidecar. Spike still sat on Bolin's lap, eyes darting towards the twins, arching an eyebrow. If it were possible, these two just got creepier and creepier by the minute.

Mako approached them on his arctic camel and smiled in amusement. “Well, what do you know? Looks like—“

“Go away, Mako.” Bolin responded bitterly.

Flash Sentry flew next to the young firebender, looking excited. Mako arched an eyebrow at the little pegasus. "Uh… hey?"

“I just want you to know that it's a real honor to be working side by side with you, Officer Mako. Sir. Sir Mako. Can I call you 'officer'? Or simply 'Sir'?”

While Mako was flattered that this pony admired him so, he was still getting use to having him around…especially when it came to Twilight Sparkle. It was strange because before he didn't mind them spending time together, especially during the festival, but now that he was joining them and no doubt would spend more time with Twilight, a part of him was happy for his friend, but another part of him grew concerned. This pony was a true gentleman, a bit dorky and shy but no doubt a strong-willed type in his own way. He must be of he managed to become a royal guard. So, why was he having issues with him being here with them now?

None the less, he remained polite and welcoming. “Uh…just Mako is fine.”

“Right, of course.” the pegasus saluted him. He was indeed a professional and took his job seriously.

Meanwhile, Twilight and Korra observed the two from behind them. "Looks like you got some competition there, Twily." Korra said jokingly, earning a playful glare from the alicorn.

"Ha, ha, very funny." she said sarcastically, "I'm not surprised though, Flash and Mako do 'technically' have the same job. He did kind of 'fan-boyed' when it came to my brother too. He really admires those who follow the same career as him."

"Seems you two really have become acquainted after all." Applejack said with a smirk, making the pony blush.

"Well, we know each other pretty well, but I'm not sure if we know each other THAT well, yet." said Twilight.

"Well, now you'll get the chance yo know him even better with him tagging along." Korra said with a grin.

“Yeah, but I wonder why Celestia asked him to join us.”

“Does it really matter?”

"I'm just curious is all.”

Rarity rolled her eyes, “Oh, come now, Twilight. You know you're happy he's hear.”

Twilight blushed, “Well…maybe a little.”

The three girls started to giggled excitedly along with the other ponies. Korra always felt comfortable with showing her girly and romantic side around them. They then approached Unalaq who stood over the horizon on his arctic camel. The group traveled far into the night, the sky a serene shade of blue with think faded clouds hovering high above, blocking the faintest hint of of the stars.

“So once we get to the South Pole, then what happens?” Korra asked her uncle.

“You will open an ancient spirit portal.”

The girls all shared skeptical looks, “I'm sorry, what now?” Korra asked.

“At the South Pole, there is a portal that connects our world to the Spirit World, but it has been long closed.”

“And that's why the evil spirits are attacking?”

“There are no evil spirits," Unalaq explained, "there is light and dark in them all. But when they're unbalanced, the darkness takes over.”

They all looked overhead and saw the Everstorm in the distance. Thunder roared loudly making Fluttershy hide behind Korra's back. Rainbow rolled her eyes at this.

“If you can open the portal in time, balance will be restored.” said Unalaq.

Twilight looked at him curiously, “In time?”

“What do you mean…in time?” Korra asked

“There's a reason the Glacier Spirits Festival ends on the winter solstice." Unalaq said, "That's when the Spirit World and the physical world are close together. Only then can the Avatar open the portal.”

“The winter solstice is tomorrow.” Korra stated.

"It is?", Pinkie Pie took out a calendar from her puffy pink mane, "Guess I'll have to cancel my dentist appointment.”

“We can't afford to wait another year.” said Unalaq. The fog started to form around them, and Naga started growling, her nose pointing towards the far distance. Korra petted her back to try and ease her.

“Easy, Naga.”

Flash Sentry squinted his eyes and pointed his hoof forward to where Naga was looking. The beast continued to growl threateningly. “Look over there!”

The fog that thickened in the distance slowly cleared, revealing three shadowy figures staring back at the group. "What are those?" Bolin asked fearfully, hugging Spike while both boys trembled in fear at the creatures before them.

Korra narrowed her eyes, staring directly into the vague glowing yellow eyes of the shadows that were partly hidden behind the fog. The faded mist swirled around the ghostly apparitions.

“Dark spirits.” Korra said ominously. Even if her face didn't show it, she felt a shiver running up and down her spine.

Fluttershy hid behind the Avatar, covering her head with the hood of Korra's parka. “Oh, I hope they’re not hungry.”

“I don't think spirits eat people, Fluttershy.” said Twilight.

“Maybe not people…but what about ponies?”

The fog picked up again, engulfing the dark spirits before they vanished from sight. The fog rose upwards for a moment before evaporating. The spot from which the creatures once stood was now empty. Not a trace of them could be seen, not even footprints in the snow, which given the fog would have been hard to see either way.

"Let's keep moving." said Tonraq, "We have to find a safe place to set up camp.”

"Sounds good to me.” said Fluttershy.

(~)

The group huddled together around a campfire near the opening of a cave. Fluttershy helped tie the camels securely near the cave while Rainbow Dash used her firebending to increase the fire. Rarity levitated several wooden bowls and a ladle from the supply bags they carried with them and poured the steaming hot soup for everyone to take.

Twilight received her bowl next but before she would take a sip she spotted Flash Sentry standing a few feet away from the others, standing watch. Twilight rose up from her spot and approached him. The light of the flames creating shadows around his now stern face, making him appear rather intimidating, yet she could still see the softness in his blue eyes.

"Everything okay?" she asked.

Flash's ears perked upwards when he noticed the princess standing beside him. "Of course. I was just keeping watch. Wouldn't want any dark spirits making an unexpected visit."

Twilight couldn't help but smile in amusement. "I admire your valor, Flash. But, even royal guards have to eat."

Flash was about to open his mouth to protest, only to quickly close it when the faint sound of his stomach went off. He blushed, scratching the back of his neck with his hoof.

"Point taken."

"Come on, you can sit beside me."

“You don't mind?”

“Would I be asking if I did?”

Flash smiled, “Point taken, again.”

Twilight back own with Flash beside her. Rarity levitated a bowl for him and he bowed his head in gratitude. Korra smiled at the two ponies, while Mako eyed the pegasus stallion.

Rarity levitated the last bowl to Korra. "Thanks Rarity." Korra took a sip of her soup before turning to her uncle, “Uncle, why do you think the dark spirits are following us?”

“Can we not talk about dark spirits, please?” Bolin said while scooting closer to Eska, grabbing her arm for protection as she calmly sipped her soup.

“My brother doesn't like ghost stories.” Mako said while rolling his eyes.

Fluttershy covered her head with the hood of her green parka, “Neither do I.” she said while trembling. Rainbow Dash too rolled her eyes.

“I like a good ghost story!” said Spike.

Twilight grinned, “Last time you heard one you wet your bed.”

That was one time! And I didn't pee because I was scared, I just happened to have drank a lot of juice that day.”

“Don't worry. I will protect you, my feeble turtle duck.” Eska rather dryly. Bolin took it as a good sign and held her arm tighter.

“Thank you.”

Rainbow and Applejack gagged at the two of them. Why Bolin was attracted to this girl, they will never know.

“Sadly, this isn't a ghost story." said Unalaq, the dancing flames reflecting in his dark blue eyes. "This is real.”

Both Bolin an Fluttershy gaped. The earthbender pulled up his hood and pulled on the strings, closing it tight, while Fluttershy flew into Korra's arms. The Avatar welcomed her and stroked her pink mane to calm her down.

“The spirits are angry because he's here!” Unalaq turned his angry gaze towards his older brother. Tonraq shifted his eyes to the side, not wanting to meet his glare.

“Hold the phone!” Rainbow Dash rose a hoof, “I get you and your brother don't see eye-to-eye but, I don't really see how Tonraq is the reason the spirits are completely out of whack.”

“That's because you don't know the entire story.” said Unalaq before turning to Korra, “Haven't you ever wondered how your father ended up in the South Pole? Why he's never taken you to visit his homeland in the North.”

“Unalaq, this is not the time.” Tonraq said, his jaw clenched and his gloved hand curling into a fist around the bowl he held.

“You're right." Unalaq said, "You should have told her a long time ago.”

“Told me what?!” Korra asked impatiently.

Twilight turned to the oldest brother, “With all due respect Tonraq, will you please tell Korra and all of us exactly what is going on here? Why does your brother believe you're the reason the spirits are angry?”

Tonraq looked at all of their curious faces, and the angry impatient glance he received from his daughter. The man sighed, swallowed his pride and told them the truth.

“I left the North because…I was banished.”

“Hold on a second!” Pinkie Pie took a sip of her soup, right before spitting it out in shock, right on Mako's face. “I was not expecting that!” said the pink pony.

Korra was utterly baffled by this confession. Tonraq was banished from his home land? How was that even possible? What could he have done that was so awful?

“You were banished from the North? Why?”

Tonraq hung his head in shame, “Because I almost destroyed the entire tribe.”

“Yay! Flashback!” said Pinkie Pie. She moved the scene as Tonraq told the story.

……….

"Twenty years ago, I was a general in the Northern Water Tribe, sworn to protect my people."

A young Tonraq stood before his fellow warriors. The men of the water tribe stood proudly before their prince, holding their weapons, ready for battle. Tonraq heard the sound of galloping and he turned to see his younger brother, Unalaq, approach him on his arctic stag.

"Brother! We're being attacked!"

Tonraq and his men quickly rushed back to the Northern Water Tribe. A shimmering city of ice and snow which, to many, was a work of art in of itself.

But today, their treasured homeland was being invaded by barbarians. Smoke rose up into the sky and fire came raining down. Villagers ran for their lives as the barbarians rampaged through, not giving any consideration for whoever stood in their path.

One of the cruel men was about to smash an innocent's head with his massive spear, only to be knock down by a stream of water, courtesy of Tonraq. He and his fellow soldiers came in on their stags, bending water from the rivers around the invaders.

The barbarians retreated and ran out of the city, followed closely by Tonraq and his men. Tonraq let out a victorious battle cry once they were gone, but Tonraq didn't believe the fight was over.

"I drove them out of the city and deep into the frozen tundra. We tracked them deep into an ancient forest. Many believed this forest was the home to spirits, and the barbarians retreated there because they thought we wouldn't attack them in such hallowed grounds….They thought wrong.

Tonraq and the others arrived at a beautiful forest situated in the farthest part of the tundra. It was a lavish, beautiful place filled with strange yet artistically formed trees that looked like something out of a painting. The snow was still snow covered, but the leafs grew and small flowers blossomed around the tree trunks.

For a moment, the young Tonraq was taken aback by the beauty of the land, but sadly he knew he couldn't enjoy the scenery for much longer. The barbarians were still hiding here somewhere, and he swore, until his dying breath, that they would never disrupt their peaceful city again.

They quickly located the barbarians hiding behind the tress. Shifting the snow around them into water, the soldiers washed them all out of the forest. It didn't take long for the criminals to be apprehended and brought to justice.

Sadly, it came with a price. The waters Tonraq and his men bended had flooded the forest. Their aggressive fighting knocked down various trees, robbing them of their supernatural beauty, and the atmosphere became cold and unwelcoming.

Tonraq felt a small pang of regret, but he did what had to be done. The waters would revert back into snow and no doubt whatever made the trees grow here would once again flourish.

"We captured the barbarians, but in the process, we destroyed the forest. I didn't realize the consequences of what I had done."

That night, Tonraq laid asleep in his bedroom, until he was awoken by a loud sound. He jumped from his bed and ran the balcony. He stared in horror as these massive, dark, horrid looking monsters were rampaging through the city, destroying everything in their path. People screamed and ran in fear.

"By destroying the forest, I unknowingly let loose angry spirits. They threatened to destroy everything, the entire city."

Tonraq jumped into action, and attacked the spirit with two water whips, and jumped aside when the spirit attacked with it's long slithery arm.

The dark spirit prepared to attack Tonraq again, the young man shielded himself from the impact with his waterbending, when he realized that the spirit stopped. Water began to rise upwards, spiraling around the creature, which stopped. The waters began to radiate with a golden glow.

Tonraq had never seen anything like it before. It was then he saw who was responsible for this miracle. His own brother, Unalaq was bending the water around the spirit creature. He did the same for all the others. Every one of them stood still, their eyes distance as if they were trapped in some hypnotic state. Their dark bodies then received the same glow as the moving waters.

One by one, the spirits under Unalaq's trance all returned to their forest home, evaporating into patches of light into the sky. The young prince breathed in deeply once he finished.

"Unalaq was able to guide the spirits back to the forest. But by then, the damage had been done."

The Northern Water Tribe as a complete disaster. Buildings had been demolished, homes damaged, the gates of their city completely destroyed. And Tonraq knew there was no one to blame… but himself.

It was he who led his men into the forest. He was the one that destroyed the spirits's home out of his own foolishness. And it was his fault the city had suffered the consequences of his actions.

Tonraq hung his head in shame as he stood before his father, the Chief of the North, while Unalaq stood beside him.

"For being the cause of so much devastation, my father banished me from the Northern Water Tribe in shame."

With a heavy heart, and with much regret, Tonraq sailed away from his home, looking down dejectedly before turning towards the horizon. No longer a prince, or a general, but a man who would have to live with his mistakes for years to come.

………..

"That's when I came to the South and started a new life." Tonraq finished his story, his eyes filled with the same shame and humiliation he felt all those years ago as if it never left.

Bolin was the first to speak. “Whoa…so you were supposed to be chief, then he became chief." he gestured at Unalaq, "No wonder you guys don't like each other.” Mako elbowed him while Rarity kicked his arm, “OW! What? Isn't that what happened?”

Korra stood up and looked angrily at her father, “I can't believe you kept this from me.”

“I was protecting you from the shame I brought on the family.”

“Why do you keep hiding things from me and then telling me it's for my own protection? I'm tired of you protecting me!” with that, she angrily turned and walked away.

“Korra!”

But the Avatar ignored him and continued walking away. Twilight Sparkle looked at Tonraq sternly, sharing her friend's disappointment, “I get that you want to protect Korra, but keeping a secret like this isn't the way to do it.” She flapped her wings and flew up a few feet. "She was right, when will the lies end?" With that Twilight flew off after Korra.

Flash looked at Mako, “Uh, should we do something?” he asked

Mako remained calm as usual, “First thing you gotta learn: Never confront her when she's angry.”

Flash arched an eyebrow, “You referring to Korra or Twilight?”

“Yep.”

(~)

Tenzin led his eldest daughter into a inner sanctuary, which was filled with Avatar Statues. All around the large, tall room were an endless variety of statues, all carved into the spitting images of past Avatars.

"Wow, the statue room." Jinora's eyes sparkled with delight, this was the first time she had ever seen the famous sanctuary of the Air Temple and looking at all of the past avatars was a real treat for her. She loved history.

"That's right, Jinora, the most sacred place in the entire Southern Air Temple. Here, you will find statues of every Avatar who ever lived." then, Tenzin suddenly looked around the statue room, "Where are your brother and sister?" he asked, a tint of worry evident in his voice.

To answer his question, Meelo and Ikki appeared behind Tenzin, racing each other on air scooters on the walls. The wake of their bending causing Tenzin's robes to blow up and cover his head.

"You can't catch me! I've the greatest air scooter of all time!" Meelo tipped over and crashed into a statue.

"Meelo!" Tenzin ran to tend to his son, while Jinora walked forward to a statue of her grandfather, Avatar Aang, and looked at it in aware.

"Quite a handsome Avatar, if I do say so myself."

Jinora slightly jumped when she heard Celestia approach her. "Oh, Princess Celestia. I didn't hear you come in." The two looked on at the statue, "Yeah, dad always said great things about my grandfather." Jinora's eyes fell to the ground and she hung her head sadly, "I just wish I had gotten the chance to meet him."

Celestia placed her wing on Jinora's shoulder for empathy, "I'm sure he would be very proud of you, Jinora. I can see you are one very special girl."

"Me? Yeah right. I'm just a regular airbender."

"Oh, I highly doubt that. Everyone has a special kind of magic within them."

"Easy for you to say. You live in a beautiful magical world. No wonder Korra loves going to Equestria so much. She said she wishes our world was more like yours, and I agree."

"Magic can take many forms, my dear. Such as the way winter turns into spring. Small things become big. And one thing always changes into another." she said with last part with a wink and a grin, "In my world, everypony has something that makes them special. I believe the same is for humans. You just wait, I have a feeling you will uncover your special talent soon enough."

With that, Celestia walked away, leaving Jinora to her thoughts. The young girl continued looking at the statue, when she suddenly felt another presence behind her.

"Celestia?"

But there was no one there.

(~)

In the Southern tundra, they all continued to travel through the cold wilderness. Pinkie Pie was now riding with Mako while Rainbow Dash flew near them. Rarity and Applejack rode with Korra while Twilight and Fluttershy flew beside them. The night sky was a perfect dark blue, hardly any stars were seen, only nighttime clouds. They could still see perfectly, but nothing in the sky shimmered of glowed, even the moon wasn't completely visible due to the clouds.

Tonraq pulled up next to Korra on his snowmobile. He knew she was still angry with him and he didn't blame her. He had kept two secrets from her, his daughter now believed that he didn't think she could do anything. Keeping her isolated her whole life was one thing, keeping secrets from her only added salt to the wound.

“Korra, you have every right to be mad at me. But I don't want you to make the same mistake I made. I should never have gone into that forest, and we shouldn't be going to the South Pole now. Spirits and the physical world should remain separate.”

Korra turned around, intercepting her father, “Dad, it's my job to be the bridge between the spirits and the physical world, and I finally have a chance to live up to my potential. My friends understand this and Tenzin finally does too. Why can't you?”

“You don't even know if what Unalaq says is true.”

Unalaq stopped his camel between the two, “You want proof? Look to the sky.”

They all looked up at the night sky but didn't see anything different. It was still dark blue, no stars and a hardly visible moon.

“Yeah, so?” Rainbow asked.

“Where I'm from, the spirits are at peace and they light up in the dark.”

“The northern lights.” Korra replied.

“Yes. There used to be lights at the South as well, but during the Hundred Year War, the South was thrown out of balance and the lights disappeared. When the war ended, the North helped rebuild you physically, as a nation, but we have not rebuilt you spiritually. Now the spirits no longer dance in your skies. Instead, they rampage in the Everstorm.”

“That's awful.” said Fluttershy.

“Suddenly, I'm beginnin' to feel bad for those things.” said Applejack.

“I think we're here.” they all heard Mako shout to the rest of the group.

They all approached the edge of a cliff. Korra and the ponies looked worried as they witnessed the Everstorm raging in the distance. A large cloud emitting lighting and thunder could be heard in the distance. Flash Sentry stared at the mysterious clouds, “Let me guess; The Everstorm.”

Mako nodded, “Yep.”

“And here I thought this was going to be easy.” Flash said sarcastically.

"He is perfect for Twilight." Spike said to Bolin.

They all continued their way in the direction of the storm, both humans and ponies, and dragon, had their hoods over their heads to protect themselves from the cold. Pinkie Pie began to shake.

“Brrrrrrrr!”

“You okay?” Mako asked.

“It's really cold out here.” said Pinkie Pie.

Rainbow flew beside them, “It's the Everstorm, what did you expect? Tropical breezes?”

Pinkie smiled, "Don't be silly Rainbow Dash, there can't be a tropical breeze in the cold. Duh!”

Rainbow groaned while Mako rolled his eyes. Spike's nose began to twitch, “AHCHU!”

Korra quickly stopped Naga, “I heard a sneeze! Everypony alright?”

Spike wiped his nose with his sleeve, “Yeah.” he said, wiping his nose with the sleeve of his coat, “Just a little sneeze no big whoop. A--A---ACHHU!”

“You sure you're okay?” Twilight asked with concern.

“Yep! I'll warm myself up in a jiffy" he instantly breathed fire to warm himself up.

Then Applejack's ears jerked up as she caught the sound of something faint, “Ya'll hear that?”

Korra, Applejack, Rarity and Twilight all looked back, they too heard the noise coming from the far off distance. The sound was faint at first, but soon grew louder, like the sound of a roar audible over the wind.

Spike gulped nervously and chuckled weakly, “I'm sure it's just the wind.” he said hopefully. They then heard an even louder roar and Spike instinctively clung on to Bolin while Fluttershy flew closer to him.

Flash looked off to the distance to where the roar was coming from and said, “Unless the winds around here are supposed to sound like a hungry wild animal, I doubt it.”

Another loud roar was heard, frightening Bolin, “Is that what I think it is?” he asked fearfully while Fluttershy hid behind his back.

“Depends, what do you think it is?”

“A dark spirit?” Bolin replied fearfully.

“Then I hope you're wrong.” said Fluttershy, just as frightened.

“We must keep moving” Unalaq said. He looked up as the angry spirits continued to roar. Their frightening sounds growing louder and stronger…and even closer. Bolin hugged a frightened Spike and Fluttershy.

“Oh man, I really don't like this.” said the earthbender as the dragon clung on to him, shaking.

“That makes two of us.” said Spike, trembling.

“Make that three.” said a trembling Fluttershy.

“Guys, just stay calm," said Mako, "There's no reason to—“ before he could even finish, a dark spirit rose from beneath his arctic camel, grabbing the supplies in the process and causing his creature to cry out in fear. “--Panic!

Spike said, “Okay. AHHHHHHH!”

Suddenly, more and more dark spirits began to emerge from the snow, frightening the arctic camels which galloped in fear, as did their riders. One spirit grabbed Unalaq's supplies while another grabbed Korra's, both struggled to maintain their animals at bay. The ponies riding on Naga held on to the saddle, but Rarity's eyes started to burn when she spotted a dark spirit grabbing her parka bag. The unicorn sprung into action.

“Unhand my one of a kind designer parkas, you brute!”

She charged at the spirit, knocking it to the ground, but once she had it pinned down, it effortlessly escaped her grasp and flew in front of Naga, frightening the beast. Naga stood on her hind legs and Korra and Applejack both fell from their seat, landing hard on the snow. A flying spirit with wings like a bird appeared and Tonraq stood in front of the girls, forming an ice wall by rising the snow to fend off the spirit but it simply flew above the wall. Twilight came in front of Tonraq and zapped at the spirit, causing it to flee. Korra, Rarity and Applejack turned to see a larger spirit charging at them.

“Korra, look out!”

Tonraq waterbend his daughter and the ponies away with one powerful swoop and attacked the spirit by unleashing a water whip, but he missed and got knocked aside by the creature's brute force. Another dark spirit entered Bolin's snowmobile, causing it to malfunction.

“Oh, It's in the engine!”

The engine exploded in smoke as the spirit came back out. Bolin then started to lose control of his vehicle as it speeded into the tundra with Spike, Eska and Desna along for the ride.

“AAAAAHHHHHHH!!”

Korra and Mako started fighting the spirits, each with their firebending. Twilight continued zapping while the other ponies kicked and punched and used their own bending against the creatures. Mako was occupied helping the girls, he didn't even notice one spirit that was creeping up from behind him.

“Mako, look out!”

Flash Sentry flew forward and slammed right into the spirit, causing it to fall backwards and disappeared into the snow. Mako was very impressed by the pony's strength and courage, “Thanks, Flash.”

“Don't mention it.”

More spirits came at Korra, she somersaulted out of the way and Rainbow Dash flew up from behind her, smiling cockily at the spirits.

“Up here!”

She quickly flew around the spirit causing it to spin around rapidly, tangling itself with its own arms. It managed to break free and Pinkie Pie kept hopping around taunting at the spirit keeping it preoccupied.

“Hu-ho! Come and get me!”

Distracted, the creature was then hit in the head by Rarity's waterbending and Applejack earthbending. The spirit came at the two ponies taunting it and while distracted Korra threw fire at it, causing the spirit to temporarily disappear. But it reappeared in an instant.

Applejack, Fluttershy, Twilight and Rainbow Dash, Rarity and Pinkie all stood beside Korra as she entered the avatar state, making the elements of harmony glow along with the ponies eyes. Korra moved her hands in swift movements, in an attempts to mimic Unalaq's purifying move on the spirit. It briefly stopped but managed to fight it. It pined Korra down, causing the girls to lose their glowing eyes, and before it could continue its attack, Fluttershy blew it away with a powerful gust of wind from her hooves. The spirit was knocked away, and the other ponies helped Korra sit up.

“Thanks, Fluttershy.”

The spirit charged at them but the spirit then stopped as water began surrounding it and growing brightly. Unalaq used his purifying technique on the spirit and it instantly left in a golden glow. Mako walked over and helped Korra up.

“Is everyone okay?” he asked.

“AAAAHHHHHH!”

They all turned around and see Bolin's snowmobile, hurling away from the group and heading up a mountain.

“Bolin! Spike!” Rarity cried out in horror.

“I can't stop it!” Bolin shouted in fear.

“We're gonna die!!” Spike screamed, while the two twins remained emotionless. Eska and Desna both jumped off of their seats and grabbed Bolin by the shirt, while Spike held on to him.

“I'll save you.” said Eska.

They leaped off the snowmobile, which crashed into the mountain and exploded. While still in mid air, Desna and Eska dropped Bolin and Spike into the snow, Bolin's snowsuit inflated and slide down the snow with Spike and Pabu on top of him.

“I'm a raft!” said Bolin.

The twins used their waterbending to cover their feet in ice and slide down the slope in swift graceful movements back to the others. Bolin's inflatable body landed too and Mako stopped him with his foot. Spike had his eyes shut closed while clinging to Bolin.

Twilight giggled, “Spike, you can open your eyes now.”

The little dragon hesitantly opened one eye first before blinking and opening both. He inspected his body, making sure everything was in it's place, “I'm alive? …I'm ALIVE!” he cheered right before glaring at Bolin, “That is the last time I hitch a ride with you!”

“Hey, a dark spirit got in my engine!" Bolin replied in defense, until he noticed his now larger size, "…Uh, could someone please deflate me?” Eska created three ice spikes which deflated Bolin's snowsuit. “Thank you!”

Mako looked at their destroyed supplies scattered all over the ground, “Oh, great. There goes our equipment.”

Rarity started levitating her cloths, which were now torn to bits, “Clearly these spirits have no respect for anypony's personal belongings. Look what they did to my parkas!”

“Now what are we supposed to do?” asked Flash Sentry.

“There's only one thing to do." said Tonraq, "We have to turn back.”

But his brother was against it, “No! The solstice is tonight. And we're so close.”

“This mission is too dangerous. We're leaving.”

Korra approached her father, her eyes narrowing angrily at him, and her voice was harsh and cold as the snow.

“No dad. You're leaving.”

“Korra, please—“

“Unalaq is right; you are a hindrance to this mission. I think it's best you leave.”

Korra looked away from him. Tonraq looked down at the ponies, they all shared the same concerned expressions, they lowered their ears and didn't look at him. Some played with their hooves on the snow to avoid eye contact. Tonraq sighed in defeat.

“If that's what you want.”

(~)

Korra sat on Naga, Pinkie Pie was on the driver seat in front of her while Applejack and Rarity sat behind her. Spike was now riding on Naga's head.

“Snowmobiles are okay, but nothing beats taking a ride on you, girl.” he said while happily hugging Naga's head, earning a happy growl from the beast. Korra and the girls watched Tonraq speaking with Mako.

“Don't worry sir, I'll keep an eye on Korra for you.”

“Thank you, Mako.”

They both shook hands, and Korra watched with an irritated look on her face as Tonraq speeded off on his snowmobile. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash flew beside her and sympathetically rubbed their hooves on her back. Korra's expression softened and nuzzled Rainbow Dash's face against hers.

Flash flew up to them and spoke to the Avatar, “Korra, my orders were to assist you and the others in any way I can, but if you need me to leave or—“

Korra interrupted him by raising her hand, “No Flash Sentry, you have done a wonderful job. Thank you for your help back there.” Flash smiled and blushed at the compliment. “All I really need right now is for all of you to stay close.” Korra said.

Flash Sentry bashfully rubbed his right front leg as he spoke again, “I know it's none of my business, but you should probably have a talk with your father later on. I'm not saying it was right of him to keep such a big secret from you for so long, but--"

“I just wish he'd trust me.” Korra said somewhat bitterly, interrupting the stallion.

“I'm sure he does, he's just worried about you. You are his only child.” said Rarity.

"Yeah, an only child who he kept locked up for thirteen years."

"Korra, we understand your feelings are hurt," Fluttershy said, "I would be upset too if my dad ever kept something like this from me, but it doesn't make matters better by shouting and being mad. That's never the best way to right a wrong."

"She's right," Twilight agreed, "If it really bugs you, you owe it to yourself to work things out. People may not always make the right choices, but at least they try. You of all people should know what that's like."

Korra lowered her gaze, she knew that Twilight always spoke from the heart and she was right on the matter.

“Like you did with Tenzin. Tell him exactly how you feel and I'm sure he'll understand.” said Applejack.

“I'm not so sure anymore." Korra decided to push the topic aside for now, "But I can't think about that right now.”

Unalaq walked up to her on his camel, “Let's open this portal and lead your father and the entire Southern Water Tribe in the right direction. We don't have much time.”

“Then what are we waiting for?” Korra moved forward as the winged ponies flew beside her. Bolin sat with an irritated expression as he was being dragged on his damaged snowmobile which was being pulled by the arctic camel ridden by Eska and Desna. Mako sat behind Korra with Rarity and Applejack behind him.

“So, what exactly where you and my dad talking about?” Korra asked somewhat bitterly.

“Nothing, he was just worried about you, that's all.”

“Well…he should know that I can take care of myself!”

“Korra.”

Korra's angry expression shifted to one of sadness and disappointment, “I know what you're gonna say; he does this because he cares, I get it. I just wish he would trust me more.”

“I'm sure he does.” said Mako.

“By asking me to abandon this mission? It's like he doesn't.” the last part Korra said sounded shaky, as if she were trying to fight back the tears.

“We all just want to help however we can." Mako assured her in the kindest way he could, "You have to trust that we're here for you.”

“Yeah, why else would we all be out here freezing our tails off?” said Applejack.

Deep down Korra knew they were right, but she still felt pretty angry with her father. And guilty at the same time.

"We have arrived.” said Unalaq.

They all see the interior of the South Pole. Before them stood a large forest of trees, their trunks completely frozen in ice, glistening in the moonlight. Within the forest, was a bright light that glowed an eerie blue. Korra, Mako, Rarity, Applejack and Pinkie Pie all jumped off of Naga as they approached the frozen forest. Korra's eyes sparkled at the beautiful yet terrifying aspect of the ice, “Trees frozen in ice” she said breathily.

Pinkie Pie admired the ice, “Ooh, Sparkly!”

“And spooky” Fluttershy added while shaking in fear. The branches almost looked like hands that could grab you at any given moment.

“It's just like the sacred forest Tonraq destroyed in the North.” Unalaq said with a disappointed tone.

“So what now?” Korra asked.

“You must find your way to the heart of the forest where the dormant spiritual portal lies. From here, you're on your own.”

“Wait a second, there's no way is she's going in alone.” Mako said defensively as he stood by his girlfriend.

“Yeah if she goes, we go too!” said Bolin, and Pabu emerged from his snowsuit, chirping in agreement.

“Couldn't have said it better myself.” said Rainbow Dash.

Applejack agreed, “Ya dare tuten!”

However, Twilight Sparkle stood in front of them all, intercepting their way to the forest, “No you guys, Unalaq's right.”

The others were all very surprised by this. “But Twilight, you said so yourself: the seven of us are a one package deal.” said Rainbow Dash.

“Remember when I had to retrieve my crown after Sunset Shimmer stole it? It was scary having to go by myself, but it helped me become stronger. It's the same thing with Korra. I know she can do it.” the alicorn smiled encouragingly at her human counterpart, who smiled graciously in return. “Besides, she won't be entirely alone. We'll all be right here in case she needs backup.”

Unalaq bowed in respect at the alicorn, “You are wise, little pony. I mean, princess.”

Twilight blushed, then Korra petted her head lovingly before then looking at her uncle, “But I don't have any connection with the spirits." Korra explained, "In fact, it seems like they hate me.”

“You have to believe in yourself, like I believe in you.” her uncle said encouragingly. Korra turned away with a somewhat serious/saddened look. “What is it?”

“I guess I'm so used to people telling me how to do things that, aside from the ponies, I forgot what it was like to have someone of my own species actually trust in me.” She smiled at her uncle who smiled back with much pride.

“Korra, all the past Avatars live on inside of you. Let them guide you. Let them help you find the light in the dark.”

Korra looked at the frozen forest and then to her friends, “Wait here, I'll be okay.” she said before heading toward the forest.

“Good luck” Mako said as he watched his beloved enter the forest. Spike quickly jumped from Naga's head and ran towards Korra and hugged her leg causing her to stop on her tracks. The little dragon clung on tightly.

“Oh, please, please do! You sure we can't come?”

Korra kneeled down, removed the dragon from her leg, handed him to Mako, and lovingly petted the dragon's head, “Don't worry, I'll be alright.”

“Good luck, sugarcube.” said Applejack.

“Be safe, darling.” Rarity said.

Korra walked towards the forest until Twilight called out to her, “Hey, Korra!” She turned around to face the alicorn who gave her a wink and a salute with her wing, “Remember, If you ever need a pony to show---“

Korra also winked and saluted her, “I'll send you a glow.”

As Korra continued her way into the forest, Flash landed beside Twilight who carried a look of concern.

(~)

Korra walked deeper into the frozen forest with a look of uncertainty and fear. Though she was focused on the task at hand, she couldn't help but admire the detail and shimmering beauty of the icy forest. She knew Rarity would become incredibly inspired by all of this. Suddenly, Korra was broken from her thoughts when he heard a noise coming from behind her. She turned around and gasped in horror; as two snake-like dark spirits charged at her!

She quickly turned and began to run from them, but they managed to catch her and began to wrap themselves around her body and legs. Another spirit attempted to attack Korra, but she defended herself with a blast of fire, and freed herself from the spirit wrapped around her with airbending. They once again charged back at Korra, but she stopped them by creating an ice wall, interesting between her and them. She could see their reflections on the other side of the ice. The Avatar took in a deep breath as she turned away from the spirits. She found herself in a large cave, where she saw a glowing dome in the very center. Her eyes sparkled with fascination. Unbeknownst to her, her cutie mark started to give a faint glow, as did the headband Celestia gave her.

“The spirit portal."

(~)

Back at the Southern Air Temple, Jinora, Ikki and Meelo were all sound asleep. Until Jinora was suddenly woken up and walked down the halls of statues in her pajamas in a daze. She somehow managed to break from her daze in shock and surprise, finding herself in front of the statue of an unknown Avatar. Unlike the other statues, which were made of stone, this one was made of wood.

"Whoa. What Avatar is this?" she asked.

(~)

"The Spirit portal. Amazing. I wish the girls could see this.” Korra stood over the dome. Somehow, the brightness reflected rainbow colors in Korra's eyes.

“The light in the dark.”

Korra readied her stance, clenched her left fist, and then subsequently punched the frozen surface with her airbending. She waited a few seconds for something to occur, but she quickly realized that nothing had happened. The portal remained closed and unharmed. The determined Avatar tried once again, this time using her firebending to open the portal, but still no results.

“Why isn't it opening?”

Just then, more dark spirits appeared outside the hub and started attacking the roof of the cave. Korra saw the entities and gasped, she had to hurry. She started striking the portal continuously with her airbending, but the stubborn portal would not obey,

“Come on portal, open!”

The spirits managed to break though and charged at Korra. They grabbed her waist and continued to tangle themselves around her entire body. They started pulling Korra upwards as she kept on firebending the spirit portal to open but her attempts remained in vain. More spirits wrapped themselves around Korra, around her arms, preventing her from continuing her attacks. The Avatar struggled in their grip until she could take no more. She knew she couldn't do this alone. Right now, at this moment, her heart was saying she needed help.

She closed her eyes shut, and once they opened again, they glowed bright white.

(~)

From outside, the ponies' Elements of Harmony suddenly appeared on their chests, glowing brightly. Then their eyes began to glow just like Korra's did whenever she entered the Avatar State. Unalaq was shocked to see what was occurred before him, “What's happening?” he asked.

Then, without any word or warning, The Mane Six quickly dashed away from the group, their Elements and their eyes still glowing and all wearing determined expressions on their faces.

“Girls! Come back!” Mako called out for them, but they ignored his cries and continued running into the forest. It was almost as if they were in sort of trance and needed to reach Korra immediately. Unalaq watched in aware as the ponies ran off and disappeared into the forest.

“I don't believe it.”

(~)

Korra managed to momentarily break free of the spirits tangled around her and dropped toward the portal. The spirits were then blasted away by a powerful magenta magical blast from out of nowhere. This caused Korra to fall and land on top of the portal. With her eyes still glowing, Korra spotted the ponies, all with matching glowing eyes and their Elements of Harmony attached to their chest.

The spirits attempted to attack, but were suddenly overwhelmed by the brightness of their combined magic. Their pure white eyes made them all cower in fear. Unlike the last time, the Elements were not summoned out of anger or fury, but out of genuine need to work together. The spirits kept their distance, allowing the girls to all stand around the portal in a circle. The Avatar kneeled down and, simultaneously, with the tip of her index finger and the ponies with the tip of their hooves, they all touched the portal at the exact same moment.

A rainbow ring formed when they made contact and the ground cracked beneath them, creating a powerful blast that tossed Korra and the ponies aside. The spirits dispersed and once they did they began to lose their dark coloring, slowly changing into bright colors like that of a rainbow before flying away.

Outside, the others watched in aware as a green beam of light rose up from the heart of the forest and into the sky. In a blast, the night sky was surrounded by stunningly beautiful light patterns that danced in the sky like rainbow waves. In the process, the Everstorm dispersed, the clouds disappeared and the lightning stopped and the now colorfully bright spirits flew around it before disappearing into the night sky, completely free of the darkness that surrounded them.

With their eyes back to normal, Korra and the ponies all looked up at the lights above them. “Spirits, dancing in the sky.” said the Avatar as she marveled at the beauty above them.

“It's amazing.” said Fluttershy. They were all so taken away by the majesty and magic of the Southern Lights that now danced once again in the evening sky once again, and they were the ones who did it….together.

Twilight's mouth hung open as she turned to Korra, “Maybe I was wrong about you needing to do this alone.”

Korra chuckled, “Ya think?”

(~)

Jinora's eyes widened as the statue before her began to glow in a golden aura. Unbeknownst to her, a certain sun princess was watching.

(~)

Mako had never seen anything more beautiful. The Southern Lights were truly a breathtaking sight. “I can't believe it” he said breathless.

“Me neither.” said Flash, equally amazed.

“It's beautiful.” Bolin said as he wiped away a tear.

Spike jumped up happily, “They really did it!”

Unalaq grinned as he admired the beauty of the lights. From afar, Tonraq stopped his snowmobile and looked upwards into the sky smiling proudly.

“She did it.”

Korra and the Mane Six all walked out of the forest, all together, grabbing the attention of the others. “They're back!” Bolin happily exclaimed as he ran to her and shouted at the others, “Hey, the girls are back!” Bolin ran up and surprised Korra with a big hug. She returned the gesture, but then an ice wall separated them and brought Bolin to face an annoyed looking Eska.

“Why are you initiating physical contact with another woman?”

Bolin looked at her with a weak fearful laugh, before Eska melted the ice.

“I don't know about you but she gives me the creeps.” Rarity whispered to Rainbow Dash, who nodded as she lowered her ears. Korra walked toward her uncle, smiling happily at what they had accomplished.

“Everything you said was true.”

“And everything you said about you and the ponies was true too.” Unalaq said with a proud smile. Korra then felt something tackle her legs, she looked down and saw Spike clinging on to her left leg crying happily.

“I was so worried! I'd thought we'd never see you again!”

Korra giggled at her friend's overly dramatic happiness, “Spike I'm okay, you can stop crying. And please let go of my leg, your claws are piercing into my skin.”

Twilight levitated the dragon away from the avatar as Unalaq continued, “Avatar Korra, you have taken the first step in bringing balance back to the South, and soon the whole world.”

To Unalaq's surprise, Mako rushed in between them and hugged Korra, lifting her up and twirling her in the process. This was a comma display of affection for the two. Mako rested his hands around her waist while her hands remained on his shoulders.

“You never cease to amaze me.” he said, lovingly gazing into her eyes.

“Thanks.” Korra replied, her cheeks red with blush.

Ponies swooned at the scene, “Awwwwww!”

Korra released her boyfriend and looked down, bashfully while fiddling with her fingers, “By the way, I'm really sorry for being a total pain before. Things were really stressful and confusing. It's hard being the Avatar.”

“It can be hard being the Avatar's boyfriend, too. But it's worth it.” he said jokingly while nudging her arm. Korra giggled at his humor and the two hugged nice again. Twilight flew up and joined in the hug.

“You girls were absolutely amazing!" Flash said "I've never seen anything like that!”

“Thank you, Flash.” Korra said graciously.

“Being with you guys is going to be a blast, no doubt.”

“Oh, just you wait.” Twilight said while winking.

(~)

The next morning, they all returned to the Southern Water Tribe, riding on their camels and polar bear dog. Spike stretched and yawned from his seat behind of Mako, “Man, I am so glad that's over.”

“Now that the northern lights are back, I don't think we'll be seeing anymore angry spirits anytime too soon.” Rarity said while she brushed her messy mane, she was sitting in the driver's seat with Korra while Mako rode behind his girlfriend.

“We should have a "Southern Lights Welcome Back" party!” Pinkie Pie blows on a party whistle. The others smiled while rolling their eyes.

Over the edge of a cliff, they all saw the Southern Water Tirbe….as well as a number of battleships entering the harbor. This was not something they were expecting to see once they got back. They also spotted water tribe troops marching in as more battleships approached the city.

“Hey, what's all this about?” Rainbow asked.

“Who are they?” Twilight asked just as curiously.

“Troops from the North.” Korra stated. She turned to her uncle for answers, “What are all of your Northern troops doing here?”

“Opening the spirit portal was only the first step in getting the Southern Water Tribe back on its righteous path. There's more difficult work to be done before our two tribes are truly united.”

Korra and Twilight both shared unsure looks before looking ahead at the troops.

“I've got a bad feeling about this, ya'll.” said a very worried Applejack. But she wasn't the only one.

The moment troops started to walk out of the ships and onto the shores, Korra felt an uneasiness in her stomach. The relief she felt after opening the portal was now gone, being replaced with worry and fear.

Mostly fear.

(~)

Author's Note:

I'm so sorry for the long wait. I already have all of the chapters (though I'm redoing "Beginnings part 1 and 2) plus already working on drafts for book 3, but you can read most of them in my fanfiction page. I have a pretty big project going on so, please be patient. I would appreciate it, God bless.