• Published 21st Aug 2014
  • 4,886 Views, 177 Comments

A Pacified Kingdom - DuskShadowBrony



What happens when a kingdom is run by foals? Intelligent foals? WARNING/ALERT/DANGER/CAUTION: THIS STORY CONTAINS AGE REGRESSION/DIAPERS/ETC. DO NOT CLICK IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THESE KINDS OF THINGS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

  • ...
30
 177
 4,886

5- Breakfast in the Morning

Chapter 5- Breakfast in the Morning

I stirred in bed, slowly opening my eyes. Wait- in bed? I sat up, the covers sliding off me. The book I was reading was closed with a bookmark, and my cloak was hung on the bedpost. I slid onto my hooves, quickly making my bed and putting my cloak back on. Exposing my wings just made me uncomfortable. Moving to the curtains, yawning, I allowed some sunlight to enter the room, before exiting, unsure where to head next.

“Morning!” Cocoa walked down the hall, smiling at me. “You fell asleep when I went to check on you, so I tucked you into bed. I hope you don’t mind.”

“Uh… no. I don’t mind. Thanks.” My mind felt a bit fuzzy, but that was probably due to the fact that I just woke up.

“Come with me, we can have breakfast. The Princess is already in her private dining area, she’s invited you.”

I allowed her to take the lead, the hallways rather empty, as it was probably early morning.

“You came! Yay!” Glitter cheered from her highchair as she saw me.

“Now, what would you like for breakfast, darlings?” Cocoa asked us.

“Fwuit mash!” Glitter answered brightly.

“I… uh… dunno.” I answered. “I don’t really eat breakfast… I usually get by on one meal a day.”

“That’s not very healthy. Tell you what, I’ll make you some pancakes.” Cocoa moved to the stove.

“Thank you.” I took a seat at the small table.

“Cocoa towld me you fewl asweep when weading.” Glitter smiled.

“Yeah… it happens a lot.” I rubbed the back of my head, a little embarrassed at the thought of Cocoa tucking me into bed.

“I was thinking we could spend some time in the park today.” Cocoa glanced back at us. “Ah, hold that thought. I’m missing an important ingredient in my special pancakes.” She trotted out of the kitchen. “Dusk, please watch over the Princess.”

“Yeah, sure.” I watched her leave.

“She’s nice, wight?” Glitter asked me.

“She’s really nice.” I answered. “She kind of reminds me of Luna.”

“So Wuna took cawe of you?” Glitter sucked on her hoof, watching me.

“Well… she tried, but most of the time, I handled myself… it’s what I’m used to.”

“Thanks for watching her.” Cocoa trotted back in, interrupting us, pouring what looked like syrup over the pancakes, setting the plate in front of me, before beginning to feed Glitter her mash. I started to eat. It was delicious, sweet, and full of flavor.

“This is really good cooking.” I smiled at Cocoa.

“I’m glad you like it, dear. Oh…” she moved forward and used a napkin to wipe some syrup from my chin. “Whoops, sorry! Used to feeding foals!” she caught herself. For some reason, this time, I didn’t mind.

“No, it’s fine.” I answered, going back to eating. “Thanks.”

“So, what about it? The park today?” Cocoa asked us.

“Yes! Pawk!” Glitter squealed, causing her to spill some food. Cocoa smiled as she wiped it up.

“I don’t have any objections, sure.” I answered. I felt a little odd, a strange trace of giddiness in me. It was like the excitement I felt when I discovered something new in my research… only different, somehow.

“Good, good. It’s a really nice day out, would be a waste to spend it indoors, anyway.” Cocoa finished feeding Glitter, wiping her face off.

I had also finished my pancakes. “I’m going to take the Princess for her morning change, then I’ll meet up with you outside your room. You know the way now, right?”

“Yeah, I got it.” I got up, sliding my chair back in.

“All right, anything you need?” she asked. “To prepare for going out?”

“I don’t think so.” I answered. “I think I’ll just take a book or two.”

“Egghead.” Glitter giggled, making me smile a little.

“Yeah, I’m an egghead. But I’m happy about it.” I answered. “I prefer the term well-read.” This made Glitter laugh some more.

We exited the room together, parting ways in the hallway. It then occurred to me that I had been so caught in in reading, I had forgotten to write a report to Luna. I decided that I would write one to her later tonight. I entered my bedroom, going over to the history books. There was no way I’d get through both volumes, so I just picked up the first two, putting on my saddlebags and putting the books in. I glanced at my swords. It didn’t seem appropriate to carry it around, but still, it was dangerous, in my opinion, to go around unarmed. After much consideration, I left my swords, but took a dagger with me, sliding it under my cloak. I had never gone anywhere willingly without my swords, but for some odd reason, I just felt safer here. Glitter and Cocoa weren’t back yet, so I took out Volume I of the history books, continuing on where I left off. I had read a few chapters in before I heard hoofbeats outside my door. Turning around and closing the book, I saw Cocoa with Glitter on her back. “All ready, dear?” she asked sweetly.

“Yeah.” I put the book away again. It was odd, I had to adjust the straps of my bags somewhat. The straps probably slipped, making the loop larger than it normally would need to be to fit me.

“Wonderful. Come on, let’s head out.” She draped a wing over my back, using it to guide me out of the room.

“Um…” I looked over at her wing.

“Oh, I didn’t think you would mind, sorry.” She withdrew her wing, folding it to her side again.

“N-no, it’s all right.” It was odd, I hated pony to pony contact of any sort, but I felt an odd security when her wing was over me. Cocoa smiled, putting her wing over me again.

“It’s going to be a good day.” she said happily.

Author's Note:

It's true, I actually do only eat about one meal a day. And I feel fine doing that, too.