• Published 17th Aug 2014
  • 3,623 Views, 449 Comments

Winter Storm - Snake Staff



Sequel to Together Forever. Twenty years into the future, tensions begin to mount in world as Shining and Cadence try to press on together.

  • ...
22
 449
 3,623

Pivotal Moments

Celestia

A vague and distant voice first rouses me from my slumber, though weakly. The jolt of pain that wracks my entire body is much more effective.

“Rise and shine, princess,” the powerful, deep voice says, before another round agony rips through me. “We wouldn’t want you to be unconscious for this.”

By the voice and tone I already know what awaits me, but I confess that when I open an eye I’m still a bit dismayed to see King Sombra standing before me, a smug smile on that warped face of his. In my half-conscious state I even feel the urge to gasp, but that notion is swiftly quashed by the realization that I’m not breathing. My lungs don’t appear to be functioning at all, as near as I can tell. Looking down, it quickly become apparent that my chest is a blackened ruin, with a prominent hole directly through my heart. It’s numb rather than agonizing, suggesting major nerve damage.

“Hello your highness,” Sombra’s mocking tone draws my attention back to him. “It’s good to see you awake again. I wanted to have you aware for the last few hours of your long life – and the beginning of your own personal hell. After all you have done to me over these many years, it seemed only fitting that you would go first.”

“I have been impaled, disemboweled, burnt alive, crushed beneath a rock titan, suffered sextuple amputations, been eaten by a dragon, and on one memorable occasion been beheaded. I fear neither death nor pain,” I tell him in a calm tone. Though my lungs are useless, my inherent magic gives me a voice. “Do your worst.”

It’s not bravado that makes me tell him this. Rather, I want Sombra to take his time. I can deal with a little suffering. The more time he spends tormenting me, the sooner the army moves in. Seeing as I am here and in Sombra’s clutches, I must assume Lulu is either driven away or captured herself. I would know if she were dead. That means plan B is now in effect. Stalling Sombra is therefore my best move.

“You will learn fear, Celestia,” Sombra says, pointing behind me with a hoof. “Do you know what this is?”

Moving my neck is difficult due to a heavy rune-inscribed black iron brace around both it and my horn. With a little bit of straining though, I manage get a good glimpse of some sinister-looking contraption of black iron and crystal. I am strapped to a solid platform of dark iron by all six of my limbs, plus my horn, neck, and tail. My mane has been cut away. The platform has been positioned to me on eye level with the false king, and is held in place by six pillars of blackened crystal. Smaller shards of crystal poke out of the platform and into my body at various points. The entire contraption is covered with pulsing green runes, which explains the lack of flaming death erupting from my horn despite my fervent urgings to the contrary.

“It looks like another overly-complicated torture device,” I answer. “No doubt intended to draw out my death agonies for as long as possible, correct?”

He shakes his head, smiling. “Wrong, dear princess. That is a device for draining magic.”

Oh... oh dear.

“You see,” Sombra goes on. “During my years wandering the earth as a ghost I heard tell of what had happened when Lord Tirek escaped Tartarus all those years ago. I found them… most inspirational. Imagine what a being not handicapped by foolish notions of peace and morality could do with all that power. So I got to thinking: if he could steal the magic of the alicorns, why couldn’t I? Of course, I’m not a natural to the power like he was,” there is the slightest undertone of bitter jealousy. “So I had to duplicate the effect artificially. It took me a great deal of time and effort to design such a masterpiece, and even longer to find somepony willing to build one for me. But it was all worth it, because through it I’ll have everything you ever had and more.”

My face is impassive – I don’t say a word.

“Just imagine it, princess,” he leans in close, almost whispering into my ear. “One pony with all the power of not one, but six alicorns in a single body! No one in the world could even come close to matching me! The Crystal Heart and the Elements of Harmony themselves could not touch what I will become!”

Six? Counting Shining Armor, there are only five alicorns alive today, I’m absolutely sure of- Oh.

Cadence is alive then. Given the circumstances, I’m almost uncertain if that is a good thing. She may well wish she wasn’t.

“You will not prevail regardless of what happens to me, Sombra.”

“Really? Because it looks to me that I’ve already prevailed. You’re helpless, your sister and niece are in my hooves, your nephew is screaming in an endless nightmare in the back of this head, and your oh so precious student is locked in a magical coma in a coffin at the bottom of the sea. That’s right,” he gloats. “She was never even in the Crystal Empire. Everything you saw from the moment she came back from her survey was the changeling queen Ecdysis wearing her form. And you fell for it hook, line, and sinker. How does that make you feel?”

Horrible, if I’m entirely honest. How could I have been so stupid? So blind? And after the debacle at the wedding so long ago? Did I allow emotion to blind my reason again? After what just happened in the throne room, I must admit that I did. But I’m hardly going to give him the satisfaction of knowing that.

Twilight, Lulu… I’m sorry. I failed you. I hope that you will have more luck than me.

“So,” I say. “Your plan, as it were, is to steal the magic from myself, my sister, my niece, my nephew, my student, and my niece’s unborn foal, correct? You believe this will make you effectively invincible, allowing you to… what? Take over the world like some cliché supervillain from a foal’s comic book?”

Sombra grimaces. “To give ponykind the leader it should always have had, and destroy the ruinous indolence your rule has brought to our society. But yes, the restructuring of the prevailing world order is part of the plan. It has been ever since I clawed my way back out of the void between worlds, guided by the beacon attached to dear Shining Armor.”

Of course he did. I knew I should have moved to put an end to that danger long ago. A ruler’s sentiment and emotion once again reveal their fundamentally poisonous nature.

“And about that,” his expression perks up. “Your amateurish little assassination attempt twenty years ago came far too late. But it did help push Cadence right into my hooves, so for that I am grateful.” Sombra gives me a mock-bow.

Why am I not surprised to hear that my niece consorted with an evil ghost? If she had learned to let go of unnecessary attachments centuries ago, this would never have happened.

“So, you’ll take over the world and… what? Turn it into an enormous slave camp? A vast gladiatorial arena for your amusement perhaps? Some demented playhouse where you exercise your sick impulses on the weak and helpless?”

“Patience, dear Celestia. You’ll see soon enough. In fact you’ll have a front row seat. You see this?” Sombra pulls a small rainbow-hued crystal from beneath his cape. “This is where I plan to put your soul after I drain you dry and you die of your wounds. Having been a ghost myself, I don’t wish a vengeful alicorn spirit stalking me for the rest of time. From here you’ll get to scream and beg and watch helplessly for the remainder of eternity as I do what I wish with everything you cherish. A suitable vengeance for engineering my downfall not once, but twice.”

“Make that three times,” I say, voice still calm and confident.

“I doubt that very much,” Sombra answers. “Very soon you’ll be a screaming spirit in a gemstone prison. Yes, this device might take some time, but for a being as old as yourself a few hours should just fly by.”

Sombra’s horn lights up, and around me the bizarre invention begins to activate. Arcs of electricity move up and down the crystals, while runes pulse and dim in seemingly random patterns. I begin to rotate backwards, towards the ceiling.

I brace myself, body and soul, as best I can. If this monster wants my power, he’s going to have to pry every last drop out of a wringer. I must draw out the process as long as possible. Any additional suffering it brings me is immaterial.

“Oh, and before we begin, I just wanted to add how idiotic your so-called plan for your own kind of world conquest was. Even discounting the dubious probability of training dozens of virtually kidnapped alicorns to behave precisely according to you will, you didn’t even need them! You had the sun, for gods’ sakes! You systemically eliminated any potential knowledge or ability to move it outside of yourself centuries ago! All you had to do was inform the world’s leaders that their nations would now bow to you, or else never see another sunrise! It was that simple!”

“So, you propose I should have united the world in hatred and fear of me using terror and mass-murder?” I don’t even bother to hide the scorn in my voice. “Who do you think I am, you?!”

Sombra ignores me as he completes the activation sequence. “Hold on to your crown, princess. This is only going to hurt a lot.”

It does.


Cadence

The lock of the cell’s door shatters after several strikes. The golems in the cell with me move forward, firing bursts of black lightning through the partially opened door. They shove it open roughly as my would-be rescuer retreats and advance into the cavern beyond. I hear the sound of more scuffling as flashes of black and green briefly go by. It takes a few seconds, but eventually there is the sound of shattering crystal and heavy thuds.

And then my little spark of hope dies as changeling drones march into my cell.

There are half a dozen in here with me, more than I can get a proper count of outside. Black and chitinous and repulsive as ever, though to my surprise looking a little rough around the edges. Some have cracks in their exoskeleton, others have wings more tattered than usual, and still others feature patches of deep frostbite on their bodies. I would have expected them to be plump and happy. The Crystal Empire should have provided a veritable all you can eat buffet for them.

“So,” I ask them. “I assume you’re here to drain whatever’s left of me? Your queen not get enough earlier?”

They don’t answer. Instead, the drones walk up to surround my prone form. One of them gets a firm grip on my horn and… tears the chain off?

I gasp as I feel magic surging through me again. The other changelings viciously attack the chains binding me to the walls and floor, tearing the rune-covered iron apart with hoof and fang and magic. The flow of power grows stronger and stronger as each one is destroyed. I can sense my body’s innate power pouring into my neck, mending muscle, straightening and refusing bone, and merging ruined nerves back to the peak of health. Ordinary sensation begins to return to the rest of my body as my broken neck is repaired. The changelings stand there and watch as, over the course of a few minutes, my body brings itself back to full capacity.

I rise slowly to my hooves and stretch my wings, almost as confused as I am elated by this strange turn of events. The insectile equines watch, passively as ever, as I flare my horn and give it a test run, followed by cricking my neck.

“Why?” I ask.

“Not of love of for you,” one of them, the largest, says to me. “We are betrayed. Our queen is dead. Sombra means to kill us all rather than share power.”

I resist the urge to say that it serves them right.

“We want him dead before he can complete his scheme. You are the only one who can do it. So we broke you free,” the drone says, buzzing its wings slightly. “Simple.”

“What’s going on up there?”

“Your empire is in the grip of Sombra and many windigoes. He has managed to subdue your aunts – with our queen’s help,” it adds bitterly. “As well as your husband and sister. He plans to consume all of their magic to become the single most powerful being in the world, as well as yours and that of your child. You must stop him before he can. We are no match for him without the queen.”

I put an involuntary hoof across my stomach.

“And…” I hesitate. “Shining Armor?”

“Possessed. The dark power harvested from the Imperial-Prench War and your husband’s relative unfamiliarity with his body enabled Sombra to overtake him. But he is not yet finished. If you can purge the king’s soul from his body, you may yet save him.”

“Alright,” I nod, moving towards the exit. At the last second, I turn my head back. “And… thank you.”

“Hmph.”