• Published 16th Aug 2014
  • 1,603 Views, 11 Comments

A Day Off? - Derpyditzydoobubbles



Spike and Twilight decide to have a lazy day.

  • ...
1
 11
 1,603

Doing Hardly Nothing

It was a cool and crisp afternoon in Ponyville. Spike was home fast asleep in his basket with his drool dripping down on the mattress. Twilight was staring at him with much comfort in her eyes.

"Why are you so sleepy, Spike?" She questioned softly.

"I'm just tired. That is all." Spike yawned.

"But you're going to have to get up some time today. You can not just lie in your basket all day, silly." Twilight giggled.

"Don't worry, Twilight. It's not even morning yet." Spike whispered.

"It's the middle of the afternoon." Twilight spoke softly.

"It is?" Spike spoke in surprise. "Oh well. I'm still going to lie down here."

"Spike, be honest. Why have you chosen to pick today to sleep in?" Twilight questioned.

Spike yawned a deep yawn of sleep as he reluctantly raised his head to see Twilight's.

"Twilight, it's the beginning of the weekend, and we've been doing so many things in the past years. Wouldn't you agree that we should have at least one day off?" Spike asked.

A long silence had followed with Twilight having a thoughtful gaze at Spike.

"I guess so. I really didn't have anything planned for the day. What about you, Spike? What lazy thing do you want to do?" Twilight replied.

"Twilight, you don't have to do anything to be lazy. Just lie down on your bed." Spike directed.

"That's it?" Twilight asked in surprise.

"Yep." Spike yawned.

"Really? Well, okay then." Twilight spoke in acceptance as she galloped over to her bed.

Twilight landed softly on her pillow once she had reached the bed. It felt warm and welcoming to her as if it were tempting her to never get up from it.

"This does feel nice." Twilight cooed as she laid her head on the soft pillow.

"Told ya." Spike spoke as he nuzzled at his blankets.

"You know what would go great with this?" Twilight thought out loud.

"What?" Spike asked.

"Lunch in bed." Twilight grinned as a purple glow erupted from her horn.

Spike directed his attention to the entrance of the bottom floor in curiosity as two bags of chips floated from it. He then smiled with delight as one of the bags fell softly on his stomach.

"Nice levitation trick, Twilight. How did you even know the bags would be down there?" Spike questioned as he ripped into his bag of chips.

"Thanks, and I didn't." Twilight grinned as she dropped the other bag of chips on her stomach.

"Eh, still pretty impressive." Spike praised as he munched on some chips.

Twilight smiled at Spike with gratitude as she munched away at her chips. She had continued smiling in delight until her mouth had become salty and parched.

"We need something to drink." Twilight stated.

"Do you think we have any?" Spike asked in unsureness.

"Not that I know of." Twilight pondered. "Here, let me see if my magic can fix this predicament."

The purple glow had reappeared around Twilight's horn as she concentrated on the task. Suddenly, she blasted the floor with her magic, causing a bundle of smoke to rise out of nowhere. Once it had cleared, there stood a lemonade stand between Twilight and Spike's beds with a mare inside the stand.

"Free lemonade! Get your free…where am I?!" The mare questioned.

"You're in our home, and we would like to have some lemonade if you don't mind." Twilight asked politely.

"Uh…sure thing." The mare replied in confusion.

"Excellent! Here you go, Spike!" Twilight smiled as she levitated two cups full of lemonade from the stand and presented one to Spike.

"Thanks!" Spike said in contentment as he grabbed one of the cups from Twilight's magic.

"Anytime!" Twilight grinned as she presented her cup to herself.

"Uh, if it's alright with you two, I would like to head back to the streets of Ponyville." The mare asked coolly.

"Sure thing!" Twilight replied as she took a sip of lemonade.

The mare grinned with relief as Twilight blasted the lemonade stand with her magic, thereby teleporting it and the mare back to there original location.

"Wise decision to get lemonade, Twilight." Spike praised as the smoke cleared once again.

"Thank you, Spike." Twilight smiled.

Suddenly, a knocking sound had come from downstairs.

"Somepony's at the door." Twilight stated.

"I'll handle this." Spike sighed. "You may come in! We're upstairs!"

The knocking had ceased. The sound of a door opening had now been heard followed by the sound of many hoof steps on the stairs. Twilight and spike looked at the entrance in curiosity as their five friends emerged from the shadows.

"Twilight, Spike, what are you guys doing up here?" Applejack questioned.

"We were looking everywhere for you two! Why are you both still in bed?" Rarity added.

"We were also passing by this lemonade stand that disappeared out of thin air. Did you have anything to do with that, Twilight?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"We almost thought that you two disappeared just like the stand." Fluttershy whispered.

"Wait a second, are you guys having a party without us?" Pinkie Pie spoke up.

"Guys, calm down! Spike and I were just taking a day off, and yes, the lemonade stand disappearing was in fact my fault, but it should be there by now." Twilight explained.

"Whew, that's a relief." Applejack spoke happily.

"Whoa!" Pinkie exclaimed as she rushed over to Twilight's bed. "So you mean to tell me that you and Spike have been doing a do nothing day by doing hardly nothing? Can I join? Please?"

"Sure!" Twilight grinned. "There's some really fluffy pillows that I know of downstairs. I could easily levitate them up here with my magic."

"Awesome!" Pinkie shouted. "Hey, would anypony else like to join in on our do nothing day by doing hardly nothing?"

"Well, I am done with the weather, and I have finished my workout. Sure! Why not?" Rainbow Dash replied.

"I am done with all of my work for the day, and me and Big Mac have already bucked all the ripe apples. I don't see why I shouldn't take a load off for a while." Applejack grinned.

"All the animals are healthy and fine, and have been very good lately. I think they seem responsible enough to be given a little treat of independence. You can count me in." Fluttershy spoke up.

"Although I really need to work on some new clothing, the new fabric that I need won't be coming in until tomorrow. So I guess I might as well stick around for a while." Rarity smiled.

"Perfect!" Twilight spoke. "I'll get a pillow for each and every one of you."

The purple glow had reappeared once again around Twilight's horn as she began to concentrate. Suddenly, five gigantic red pillows appeared from the entrance and were laid in a circle between Spike and Twilight's beds.

"There you go, guys. You may now sit down in comfort." Twilight spoke as she gestured her hoof to the pillows.

"Thank you so much, Twilight!" Pinkie smiled as she and her friends sat down on a pillow.

"You're welcome, Pinkie." Twilight grinned.

"You see, Twilight. We all needed a day off from doing our usual stuff." Spike stated as he now sat up in his basket.

"Very true, Spike." Twilight nodded.

A long silence had followed as Twilight and her friends sat quietly and peacefully together with the outside wind giving them a comforting breeze.

"This is nice, Twilight." Applejack spoke up.

"Indeed. We should do this more often." Rarity yawned.

"Although this may not be the most epic party of them all, it's quite fun spending time with all of you. Especially the fact that we don't have to worry about anything at the moment." Pinkie cheered.

"Indeed. This is quite relaxing, and it all came true thanks to Spike." Twilight directed.

"Thank you, Spike!" The mane six spoke at once.

"Anytime." Spike grinned.

Suddenly, Princess Celestia crashed through Twilight's window in a ball of energy and stared at the group with fear in her eyes.

"You are all needed in Canterlot right now. Somepony has accidentally blocked off the waterfall, and everypony is now flank-deep in water. It's going to take all day to fix this problem. Maybe even the entire weekend. Are you all okay with that?" Celestia shouted.

"Sure. We weren't doing anything after all." Spike sighed.

Comments ( 11 )

Nice Story. I like the ending.
Plus, Spike's getting respect. That's rare.

@Derpyditzydoobubbles...

1. I give this fan-fiction a positive-sided "Not Bad" for a reading :pinkiesmile: . It definitely falls under the Slice of Life story-tag, and fulfills its theme.

2. One minor bit that could be refined better is Applejack's speech (did not sound like her).

3. Another minor bit for revision &/or refinement would be the ending. Flooding in Canterlot does not really sound like a job for the Elements of Harmony, much less for Princess Celestia to be personally (& physically) crashing the Lazy Party. For me at least, it was too much of a non-sequitur which throws off the ending rather than being humorous.

4860779 thanks, man! :twilightsmile: and yep, kinda unfortunate for him. He has a good personality and potential like all the other characters.

4860791 1. Thanks man. And shoot, forgot to add the tag. Sorry about that. It's fixed now. :pinkiesmile:

2. Yeah, I need to work more on there speech. Sorry about that.

3. I agree, though she needed all the help she could get. Sure she could use her own magic, but she would need help with cleaning and what not. (Should of explained that more. Again, sorry about that.) and I was aiming for it to be an "unexpected disappointment" that there relaxation would have to come to an end.

Hope none of this offends you, btw.

That ending was epic :rainbowlaugh:

4860836

4. Do not know why I would be offended, you did not say anything towards such :ajsmug: .

5. For Applejack's speech, it is mostly just lightly sprinkling a bit of "Ah'm" (I'm) &/or "Y'all" (you all), and perhaps a "sugarcube" &/or "pardner". The trick is to be very light on using her country accent, not to shove it down the readers' throats with every word. If you listen to Applejack's speech patterns on the show, she actually uses very little country accent/wording.

6. As for endings, I would have revised to either an actual emergency that would be on the scale of calling upon the Element Bearers (example: hordes of minor demons escaping Tartarus, or a stampede of mythic monsters from the Everfree Forest, etc.); or, for something humorous, Princess Celestia arrives (not crashing through) to do some non-emergency work with Twilight Sparkle, and winds up joining the Lazy Party.

4867037 ah, I see now. Thanks man for the advice! :pinkiehappy: really sorry it took so long for me to reply, btw.

Funny and cozy story, nice work, keep writing!)

DIY PRINCESS

Login or register to comment