• Published 3rd Oct 2014
  • 2,189 Views, 34 Comments

What do I win? - HapHazred



Rainbow Dash returns as the Mare with the Rainbow Mane as she is pitted against Applejack in a series of four games designed by their friends testing more than just their physical ability.

  • ...
8
 34
 2,189

Chapter Seven: Conversations with a Reptile

"I've done a heck of a lot of things to get to where I am. I've run, I've flown, I've fought to my last breath. Hay, I've even solved a third order square matrix without breaking a sweat... I've done a lot of things I'm proud of, but I get the feeling I'm not done yet. Which brings me to the here and now... brings me to you. There are a lot of ponies I can trust, but right now, I need you to help me. What do I do?

I know where I stand, now, at least. I've figured out what she was doing, and why, what the picture was, and why she drew it. She's never been been that open about her feelings, ever... so I guess drawing them was the only way to get that to work. Sun must be getting to her. I think it's also getting to me, too.

Stupid picture, huh?

...

Are you even listening to me? I'm not finished talking, you know.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do just yet, but I think I know how I feel. I think that, if I'm right about everything, of course, that the sort of pony who thinks what I think they think, is the sort of pony I... Crud, nevermind. I'm thinking too much. Let me tell you what I have to do instead.

Still got one challenge left, and I don't know if I can handle it. Too much distracting me right now, and that's no way to win. So: step one, deal with Applejack. Got that?

Could you put that leaf down, it's distracting me.

Okay, next step: finish this whole mess. I'm pretty sure this was all some kind of plan, and I was the sucker who got played, but I don't leave things half done.

Time to stop this nonsense: I feel like I'm banging my head on every wall and making myself look a foal for no good reason. You know what it's like, don't you? Feeling like you're doing your best but never actually getting anywhere?

Right, Tank?"

Tank blinked. He tried lifting one of his feet in order to slowly plod towards Rainbow Dash, who was currently lying upside down, staring at the tortoise with big, magenta eyes. She sighed.

"Yeah. I figured you would. I'm just really, really confused right now. Story of my life."

Tank made a small motion with his head, and croaked. Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow.

"What do you mean, follow my heart? Is that the sort of thing you've been reading in Rarity's silly little novels? I told you, they'll make your brain go mushy."

Tank began to plod towards his dinner bowl.

"Yeah, keep walking. I'm going to go sort things out with Applejack: we've got stuff to talk about, and I need the air. I get the impression this conversation is fairly one-sided anyhow. Thanks for trying."

Rainbow Dash rolled back onto her hooves, and with a few wing-beats, she soared out her bedroom window. She glanced back at her wings and smiled: they moved back and forth like a well oiled machine.

"Heh. Back to normal." she commented. She flew over the town, the houses blanketed in night, and let herself cast a foreboding shadow on the town, silhouetted in the moon.

"Yeah... what my heart is telling me. What is my heart telling me? I guess I'd better figure that out before I get there. How do I feel about somepony thinking I'm special, and being prepared to do anything for me? Am I assuming too much?

Probably. This is probably going to end with Applejack telling me I'm being a stupid foal and I'll end up in tears back at my place for opening my heart to somepony I shouldn't have. Because I'm sensitive like that.

Maybe I'm right, though. I don't know.

One thing is for sure: the competition is a distraction right now. Better get that out of my head: either both me and Applejack come out of this winners, or we come out losers.

Jeez, I must be tired to give up on a competition like that."