• Published 3rd Oct 2014
  • 2,187 Views, 34 Comments

What do I win? - HapHazred



Rainbow Dash returns as the Mare with the Rainbow Mane as she is pitted against Applejack in a series of four games designed by their friends testing more than just their physical ability.

  • ...
8
 34
 2,187

Chapter Three: Intermission

Her name is Applejack: her parents came up with it, you see, after their love for apples, and their reliance on the farm to survive. It was a strong name, a reliable name... of course, it was also meant for a stallion, but nopony could really predict how that particular event would go down. Life is full of surprises like that.

Right now, she's sitting down, a glass of juice in hoof as she listens to Rarity describe how much effort she put into her next challenge. She's only half listening: her thoughts keep on going back to Rainbow's defeated face as she slunk off home. Applejack was a winner: she participated in many events, and did her best every single time. That sort of effort resulted in her seeing the Face more than once.

Usually, she was more than happy to inflict the Face on other ponies... it was part of competing, after all. But when it was Rainbow Dash, well, it became harder.

"Applejack? Applejack, are you still there?"

Rainbow Dash was probably... no, she was definitely the only mare who tried harder at everything than Applejack. She put more of her hopes and dreams into what she did than Applejack could. If Applejack failed at something, well, she could simply work some more on her orchard, and that would be that, and that was that. But Rainbow Dash-

"Hello? Equestria to Applejack?"

"Huh?"

Rarity was waving her hoof in front of her eyes, amused. Once Applejack was definitely awake once again, she leaned back into her divan.

"Was Fluttershy's test a bit difficult for you?" she asked. Applejack shrugged.

"No, 'I'm over that... I was just thinkin' about Rainbow."

Rarity raised her eyebrow.

"About..."

"Stuff. Y'know?"

Rarity knew.

"Beating Rainbow will just make her want to win more... and that's what you wanted, right?" Rarity asked. She took a sip from her drink as Applejack swirled her own around in it's glass. "Right?"

"Hmm? Yeah... that was the plan."

"I think it's working quite well, too... I thought for a minute that it was a silly notion, but that mare really does thrive on activities like these. You've almost gotten her back in her zone."

"Yeah... that's great."

"And the other girls were really happy to see her again, myself included. I do miss her a lot during the holidays."

Applejack nodded slowly. Rarity sighed and put down her glass.

"You know, for the element of honesty, you seem to have a very hard time expressing yourself, Applejack."

Applejack gave Rarity a half smile.

"So I'm told." she replied. She finished off her drink in one, quick gulp. "Ah get the feeling I don't need to tell you anyhow, though, right?"

"Not at all. You hide secrets about as well as Twilight hides her 'fashion' magazines." Rarity said, chuckling at the memory. Now, that had been a very awkward moment indeed.

Applejack laughed at the thought. She put the glass down on the table, and with a tip of her hat trotted to the door.

"Well, on that cheerful note, I'm going home to bed. I'm plum tuckered out." she said. She didn't look back as she eyed the darkness beyond the window.

"Well, do try to communicate more... we're all here for you, after all."

The doorbell rang once, as the door opened, then twice, as it closed shut with a bang. She sighed.

"I have to get things ready for tomorrow." she said, getting to her hooves.


Applejack let the night wash over her as she walked through the empty streets of Ponyville, savouring the solitude. Usually, she would try to replace the solitude with a friend or family member, but now and then... when she was perfectly alone... she could picture herself walking alongside a mare as blue as the sky and as stubborn as an old tree.

Sometimes, she liked being alone, because sometimes, even when she was surrounded by friends and family, she felt even more lonely than she did now, as if she were stranded in the middle of a crowd like an island at sea.