• Published 14th Aug 2014
  • 4,565 Views, 378 Comments

OTR: Escape - The King of Hearts



After a disastrous falling out with the mare he cares about, Alex returns home to earth to clear his mind. But, you can only hide from the insanity of Equestria for so long before it comes looking for you.

  • ...
15
 378
 4,565

The Better Kind of Cheating

Author's Note:

Again, sorry if there is a plethora of errors. I haven't had much time to write the last couple weeks.

////
The Better Kind of Cheating
////

“Are you girls sure you’re done eating?” Chet asked, looking back and forth between the five girls, all of whom had been quite quiet for the last little bit, while he awkwardly ate his food, and then proceeded to awkwardly eat their food too.

“Yeah, there must have been something bad in the dinner we ate last night,” Twilight explained for them, knowing none of her friends were in a talking place.

“Well, you mind then…?” He asked, slowly reaching for her leftover salad.

“Yeah, no prob—“

”Hey, Twilight!”

Twilight’s face contorted in to confusion, as she looked behind her for the source of the voice.

“You okay?” Chet asked, looking behind her as well, “Did someone throw something at you or something?”

“Oh, no…” She mumbled, looking back to Chet, “I must’ve just—“

”Twilight!”

“What?!” She shouted, as every person in the diner looked to her worryingly.

“Are’ya okay darlin’?” Applejack asked.

“I think she needs some air, to be honest,” Rarity exhaled, “Why don’t you come outside with me, Twilight?”

“Uh… yeah…” She mumbled, blushing as she got out of her seat with Rarity, and carefully walked to the exit.

“What in Celestia’s name is going on with you?” Rarity asked, as the two reached a nice and quiet spot out the back of the restaurant.

“I’m hearing a voice in my head!” Twilight said, “If we were in Equestria, I’d just think it was a spell!”

”It is a spell Twilight! It’s Alex! And I need help with this test!”

“You have got to be kidding me.” She grumbled, as Rarity gave her a concerned look.

“What is it?” She asked.

“It’s Alex, he’s asking me to help him with his test.” Twilight rolled her eyes.

“Well I hope you tell him that he needs to pass himself!” Rarity said, shaking her head, “I can’t believe he’d even try to ask.”

”Please Twilight! We don’t have much time left!”

“If you think I’d help you, you’ve got another thing coming!” Twilight said, scoffing rather rudely.

”It’s already been three hours! That only leaves two! And I need time to get the spell to cast!”

“Well- That’s not important here!” Twilight answered, “If you thought you could ask me to help you cheat, then you must now know me very well!”

”Come on Twilight! Haven’t I been cheated on enough? Isn’t it my turn to do some cheating?

Twilight was shocked at his statement, “Did you just use Dash’s cheating on you, as an excuse to get me to help you cheat on a test?”

“He did what?” Rarity asked, wishing she could hear the other side of the conversation.

”And now, if I’m ever going to be able to confront her, I need your help! Besides, remember that time I did that one thing for you?”

“What one thing?” Twilight asked, just loud enough for some passerby’s to give her an odd look, “I’ve done so much for you! You stayed in my house, I fed you, I taught you magic!”

”Yeah… But! I saved Equestria that one time.

“Oh, how did I know you’d throw that in my face?” Twilight shouted, “You save the world one time, and we never get to hear the end of it!”

”Well, have you ever saved Equestria?”

“Would you just stop?” Twilight huffed, rubbing her temples, “Fine! What do you want to know?”

”Great! Which one of these is gold? Ag? Or Au?”

“Au,” Twilight answered instantly, “What’s next?”

”That’s it, thanks!

Twilight felt the spell cut out as Alex left her alone.

“Are you kidding me?” Twilight asked no one, as she half expected an answered from Alex. But, there was nothing.

“What did he want to know?” Rarity asked, “You weren’t talking for very long.”

“Let’s go back inside…” Twilight grumbled.

////

“Done!” Alex announced proudly, smacking the book on to the, “High School! No problem!”

“Well, we still need to grade this,” Tammy said, lifting his booklet and leafing through it, “Hmm.”

“Lots of correct answers?” Alex asked, leaning back and kicking his legs up on to his desk.

Tammy wanted to give him shit for acting so full of himself, but every answer he had written in the first couple pages of the multiple-choice portion of the test was right. And, the answers on his math test had all been more or less correct, assuming his long-form answers weren’t all wrong.

“A lot of them are, yes.”

Alex just smirked and winked, as she looked up from the pages.

“You act so much like Chet,” She chuckled, placing the books on her desk, “Alright, you’re free to go.”

Hopping up, Alex held out his hand proudly, which she promptly took, and shook.

“It might be a little early, but congratulations. You’re done school. Well, high school anyway.” She smiled, leaning back on her desk, “Why don’t we have a party tonight at Chet’s place?”

“I might not be around,” Alex said, scratching the back of his head, “I have to go see… Sarah.”

“Oh,” Tammy said quickly, “Well, maybe tomorrow, or later this week then?”

“Definitely,” Alex smiled, “Thanks for the help with this.”

“No problem!” She smiled, walking him over to the door, “If you plan on moving on to any universities, just let me know. I can write a very good recommendation.”

“Wouldn’t it look bias?” Alex asked.

“They don’t know who I’m banging,” She shook her head.

Alex grimaced at the mental image.

“Whoops!” Tammy giggled, “I guess Chet’s been rubbing off on me.”

“Well, with that wonderful thought in my head, I think I should go meet him at the diner,” Alex said, backing out from the room.

“Tell him I’ll be home by five, tops.” Tammy said, holding the door open for him, “Have fun seeing Sarah again.”

“I won’t…” Alex mumbled, walking down the hallway toward the exit.

“Maybe I shouldn’t have said that…”

////

“Oh!” Chet said, standing up, “Alex just texted, he’s done.”

“So, we can finally go home?” Pinkie asked, “My bum is all sore from this sitting.”

“Sorry about that,” Chet said, standing up, and dropping a hundred dollar bill on the table, “There really isn’t much else to do in this town, besides going to the big dance club.”

“Dance club?” Pinkie asked, standing up hopefully, “What kind of dancing do they do there?”

Chet frowned, “You know, lots of sweaty people grinding all over each other.”

“That sounds terrible!” Pinkie said, wondering what kind of dancing that even was.

“Well, It’s my job to tell you how immoral it is,” Chet said, leading the pack to the entrance, “But god knows that I’d be there if I was your age.”

“This place sounds so… depraved.” Rarity whispered in to Fluttershy’s ear, as they followed in the back of the group.

“Equestria has lots of stuff like that!” Fluttershy responded, knowing just as well as all her friends that there were perverse places in their world too, “They’re not so different here.”

“Well, I was always try to… put those places out of my mind,” Rarity acknowledged, “Celestia know’s I’ve never been to places like that.”

“They’re not as bad as they sound.” Fluttershy answered, as Rarity gasped loud enough to get everyone’s attention.

She just laughed at her gullible friend.

“Shame on you!” Rarity giggled, embarrassed that she had fallen for such an obvious ploy, “I’d never be able to look at you the same way!”

After making sure that they all got in to the vehicle properly, Chet got himself in to the front seat of his van, and started it, making his way over to the school, so he could pick up Alex, and get him wherever it was that he needed to be in an hour or so.

Still, these girls were a mystery to him.

As normal as they seemed to be, they were absolutely abnormal. From making strange references, to falling over as if they had never walked before. Then, to top it all off, they acted like Alex was the greatest guy on earth. Something had to be off for that to be the case.

“So!” Chet announced, “I think it’s time you all came clean to me!”

They were stunned in to silence.

“You guys aren’t from around here,” Chet continued, “None of you could give me a definitive answer about what schools you went to, or where you grew up!”

“Well, it’s complicated...”

“You guys are hiding something,” Chet said in the most nonthreatening tone he could, “And while I’d normally have no place prying like I am, when it comes to Alex, and his wellbeing, I have to know.”

Again, there were no words exchanged.

“And I know he sure as hell won’t own up to it,” Chet said, looking back to the scared girls, “So? Any of you want to speak up?”

They all felt him come to a hard stop in front of the school, only a few blocks away from their previous destination.

“Well—“ Twilight began.

“Hey guys!” Alex said happily, opening the door and jumping in to the passenger seat in the front of the van, “I passed those tests for sure!”

No one said anything to him. He got panicked expressions of the girls, and a stern expression from Chet.

“What?” He asked.

“Your uncle’s just been wondering where we’ve been spending the last year…” Twilight said, as Alex sighed loudly, and thumped his head against the rest.

“You don’t wanna let it go?” Alex asked hopefully, as Chet shook his head seriously.

“Well… sorry about this,” Alex said, instantly turning the keys in the ignition to off, and then tapping a finger to his uncle’s head.

“What are you—“

Chet fell back on his seat passed out.

“What did you do?” Twilight gasped, pulling herself forward and inspecting his passed out uncle.

“I just used a little knock out spell,” Alex said, rising his hands defensively, “He’ll be fine in two minutes, and won’t remember a thing.”

“What do we tell him?” Fluttershy asked.

“He fell asleep waiting for me to come out from the school,” Alex explained, “I’m guessing he ate a lot of food. He always gets drowsy after that.”

“You’ve been doing a lot of cheating today, Alex.” Twilight sighed, happy to be out of the uncomfortable situation.

“I just want to get Equestria over with, you know?” Alex said, “So, let’s get back to my house, so we can get the flip back there. I wanna just... fly around a bit.”

“Well, we need your uncle to get—“

“Chet, wake up!” Alex shouted, as his uncle shot up from his relaxed position, “My tests are done you sleepy bastard!”

“Oh, really?” He groggily, looking around the van while trying to situate himself, “How did… how’d you do?”

“Good,” Alex smiled, “I’ll tell you all about it on the way home.”

“Sounds like a plan to me,” Chet nodded, as he started the van, and pulled out form the school parking lot.

Alex felt a little guilty for what he had done… but really, what else was there? Chet wasn’t stupid. He knows there’s something very wrong with the story he’s been fed… But as long as he could keep lying to him, or avoiding the point, it would all be fine. When the day comes that Alex has to tell the truth, Chet will wish he had been kept in the dark, that’s for sure.

“Oh, and Tammy said she’d be done at five.” Alex said, looking up at his uncle.

“Nice and early,” Chet smiled, “Thanks for letting me know.”

“No problem.”

/////