• Published 14th Aug 2014
  • 1,260 Views, 112 Comments

The Last Alicorn - Cerulean Swirl



As each die, more letters come, all demanding the same thing. Can she find the culprit before time runs out?

  • ...
8
 112
 1,260

Conflicts

"What....did I tell you?"

The rotunda was growing dim with the failing light. She sat comfortably atop a purple shimmery couch, and two guards had taken places beside her. The floor had become her study subject. She knew what she had done, and she was ashamed, but there was only one way to find U now. And it wasn't sitting around doing nothing.

The moon princess stood close by to her pacing and very disgruntled sister, and her eyes left the floor momentarily to glance up at her superior. The sun princess wasn't taking this very well; she could see it in the elder's face.

They had been called as soon as she was wrestled away from the innocent flower pony. Even now the earth pony was already on the next train to Ponyville, and she was here. Probably getting lectured and/or punished. Part of her was guilty for making her beloved white alicorn come all this way just to reprimand her for something. She surely was pretty angry right about now.

The other part of her didn't care what the princess had to say. She would find U by herself and kill him/her, just as she promised the now former couch dweller that she would do. U wouldn't last a full hour by the time she was done. No, not even a full twenty minutes. This part made her want to stand up and say that she was only doing what she was begged to do, and that U wasn't going to find him/herself. She was simply running over her list of suspects, and she decided that going in a random order might put U on his/her guard, because as he/she mentioned, she was being watched. Which caused a fresh round of dread to bloom in the pit of her stomach.

However, she found it strange that U had not yet killed somepony near or dear to her already. Perhaps the madpony was giving her extra time? Or perhaps U did not know that she was in the Crystal Empire? Wishful and foolish thinking; if U was following her then he/she probably had seen the papers and the announcement. He/she probably would have seen her on her journey down to the Empire, perhaps even on the same train. Perhaps U was buying his/herself time, to lull her into a false sense of confidence, so that she would eventually-

"Are you even listening?"
The elder alicorn's words snapped her out of her thoughts. She looked up into her superior's paler violet eyes, which gathered with a fresh round of anger.

"What am I going to do with you, Twilight?" asked the princess, rage begging to be released from its resting place.

"Terrorizing an innocent citizen? Tying them up? Bounding them to a chair? What in Equestria was going through your mind?"

"I was investigating." she said, surprised by the calmness of her own voice.
"Investigating?" The skeptism was not hidden from her superior's voice.

"Yes. Roseluck was on my list to question. I asked what I needed, and I showed her the most recent letter, and it's not her."
"Really. Twilight, I offered to investigate for you, didn't I? To call a national search for U? Why would you insist that you do it on your own? So you could terrorize more innocent ponies?"

"No! The only way for them to talk is if the setting is that way. If I come up to them casually they won't talk."
"And you know this how?"

"Well, have you ever tried getting something out of somepony when you're talking to them on a sunny afternoon, when they're unbound and potentially free?"

The white alicorn pondered this. The younger was clearly correct. Whenever the sun princess needed information, she usually had to force it out of whoever she was trying to get it out of. This was, however, no excuse for the younger to do this, especially when she was in the state that she was. A sigh escaped the elder's mouth.

"You are correct, Twilight. However, that still is no excuse. I've given you the freedom of having alone time in this castle. But it appears that I must change that." The white princess turned to the guards that were seated by the younger alicorn.

"Take note, please."
They did as they were told. A small scroll of parchment was unfurled from nowhere, and a quill was dipped in an inkwell and poised right above the clean parchment, ready to begin.

"From this day forth, Princess Twilight Sparkle will not be allowed free time throughout the day, even when she's having an episode. You will not allow her to summon other ponies from neighboring-"

"WAIT!"
A voice broke the soft scritching. The younger was on her hooves now, and was facing the elder full on.

"Princess, you have to listen to me."
"Twilight, I gave you privileges, but you-"

"No. I am my own princess now."
"But I am taking care of you!"

"Are you? Or are you just taking care of yourself?"
"You of all ponies know that's not true."

"Then what is?"
"I am taking care of you because as of now, you can't even take care of yourself."

"But-"
"ENOUGH!"

A voice who had yet to speak finally did so as she broke the budding shouting match. The moon princess was standing in the middle of the argument, with a look of pure fire in her eyes. From this, both princesses backed down, even though she was the younger sibling to the sun princess.

"The both of you are acting no better than common schoolfillies!" she said, voice echoing across the rotunda.
"Twilight, I understand that you wish to continue the search for this killer on your own, but as my sister said, that doesn't give you right to bound our subjects.

"Sister, you of all ponies know what Twilight is going through. I believe that you are acting too strict with her, coming down every time she does something that we may not see right."

The sun princess opened her mouth as if she was about to say something, but then shut it. She would allow her sister to have her moment. She stood back to listen.

"You both should not argue. You are both of proper age! Arguing like this isn't going to get us anywhere. The only thing it will do is give me a headache and make me ashamed to be in contact with the both of you.

"Now." The moon princess took a collective breath.
"I do not think it is fair to take away Twilight's privileges to complete this search. You there!"

A midnight blue hoof was pointed at the very confused guards, but they snapped back at attention when they realized a royal was summoning them.

"Take new notes, and disregard the others."
They obeyed.

"From this day forth, the Princess Twilight Sparkle will be able to continue her investigation for the mysterious murderer by the name of U, ONLY under the supervision of five guards at a time. They will oversee interrogations and referee when things get out of hoof.

"Princess Celestia and Princess Luna will not be called down to the Crystal Empire unless there is a real situation, which may in fact consist of the events that occurred today. If there is a real emergency and Princess Twilight cannot be swayed to do anything, then the princesses will be summoned. Then and only then." finished the midnight blue alicorn, and cast a glance at her sister and her ally.

"Come, sister. We'll take our leave of absence now. I think I'm getting that headache I mentioned before."

It was soft. And smelled flowery and clean. There was darkness, but not enough; light was peeking through. Not that she cared.

The princesses had just departed, and even she didn't know what to make of the moon princess's speech. The midnight blue alicorn hadn't said much of anything since the meeting in the carriage, as they all watched the bubblegum alicorn's lifeless form. She shoved those thoughts out of her head. She was way too exhausted to have a rage fest now. She had other things to focus her time and energy on anyway. The investigation.

She had barely gotten away with Roseluck's interrogation, and now she would be supervised. Was she really that dangerous? Was she that much of a threat to innocent citizens? Apparently she was, or else she wouldn't have to be watched by five other pairs of eyes every time she tried to find answers. Could they blame her? Yes, obviously they could. She sighed, heavily, and moved her head from it's original resting place: facedown on the soft comforter. After this was accomplished, she allowed her thoughts to drift.

Where was U? Who was he/she? Was he/she someone that she had seen before? Even encountered and spoke to? What if....he/she was someone close to her? What if he/she was one of the princesses?

She shoved that thought away. Why would they kill all of them and an ally and her family? There seemed no point.

The whole ordeal didn't make any sense, from where she stood. Blood for royalty. A crown for nine(and supposedly) counting lives. Where did one pony get such motivation? Was royalty worth killing several other ponies over? Apparently it was, but why would U pick on her and not one of the other princesses? Or he/she had...and the princesses hadn't mentioned it to her in an attempt not to get her riled up again. She didn't need a letter for that.

How she wanted to visit their graves. They were the only ones who truly and fully understood her. If they were here, they would tell her so. And they would soothe her and coax her, and save her from the ditch from which she could not remove herself from. She had yet to say the word that she could not. Then again, she wouldn't ever say such a word because she knew that she would never be able to let them go. They would never truly leave her.

A soft knock sounded at the door, bringing her out of her stupor. She lifted her head. She knew she was alone; the guards surely thought she was going to have one of her episodes. She had considered crying, just to soothe them, but she had cried herself out long ago.

The door opened, and a single guard found his way in. He was very familiar to her; with a soft orange colored coat, and his cobalt mane. His kind sky blue eyes. He was too kind for her. She did not deserve his kindness, or his charity. He had yet to say a word to her ever since she had arrived, which she thought was for the best. He wouldn't recognize her; at least, not in this realm.

"What?" she asked, turning her attention to him and off U for once.
"Your majesty, I've come to you with news." he said, and bowed.

"And they are?"
"I've been assigned as your personal bodyguard throughout the rest of your stay here." he said, cordially.

"What? A bodyguard?" Rage flickered across her senses.
"Yes, the princesses thought it was a good idea. So I'll be with you every minute of every day, starting now."

"But-"
"And there's something else. This just arrived for you."

Knowing full well what he was about to give her, the lavender princess did not utter another word, but slammed her head into her comforter, and screamed as loud as she possibly could.


Another folly, another mistake, and yet another day filled with muck,
On that note, I cannot believe you mistook me for Roseluck.
You are, as you have realized, deliciously wrong, and just when you thought the answer had struck,
But you are still, as I mentioned, wonderfully stuck.
I have been extremely generous, more than I should be with you. I've played your game, and stopped taking lives just this once to see if you could possibly find me. You've failed, by the way, and you've pleased me. Perhaps my amusement suspends your loved one's untimely deaths. My demands, as you know, still stand, just as they always have. Your carelessness will cause more lives to be taken, but for some reason, I still have not gotten through your thick head yet. I wonder why?
Anyway, do tell the princesses to be careful. We wouldn't want them to be alone somewhere, would we?
I remain, as always,
U


Author's Note:

Enjoy!!
Page break was found on Google images.