• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 3,920 Views, 70 Comments

Ponies Protecting Ponies - Venates



The PPP is a secret oganization tasked with keeping Equestria safe. No pony knows who they are; their agents blend into the background just like any other pony. With their expertise, keeping the unicorn Twilight Sparkle safe should be no problem.

  • ...
21
 70
 3,920

Prologue

<Do it, Star.>

Amethyst Star led a mostly simple life. To a point, anyway. For most of her years, her only real purpose was cutting and shaping gems for the wealthy members of Canterlot. Bringing beauty into her world was her passion. And now she was being told to inject ugly into it.

<We don't have all day, Cadet Star. Take him out.>

The voice in her ear was her handler. As a new recruit, she needed one watching her every move and showing her the ropes. Turns out, cutting gems is an extremely delicate procedure that requires an incredibly powerful magic. She never knew this, of course; she only ever used her ability on pretty stones. That was all. And that was all that was needed to catch the attention of a certain espionage agency. She was first approached just over a year ago and began training shortly after. This was her first real mission: to infiltrate a griffon terrorist organization and take out its commander from within. The griffon in question was now awkwardly trying to keep himself sitting up in front of Amethyst. He was weakened, but his pride meant that he would spend every last ounce of energy attempting to keep his composure.

<Cadet Star, is your communications device still working?>

"Yes, Chief. You know that it is."

<I don't need that tone, Star. Do I need to remind you of your mission?>

"No, Chief."

<So what's the holdup?>

Amethyst's horn glowed in a raspberry aura; one quick thought and her special brand of magic would cleave into the terrorist leader in front of her, effectively ending the threat that he posed. One quick thought was all she needed. A different thought kept that one at bay.

"I don't like it."

<You want to say that again, Star?>

Amethyst growled. "I said I don't like this!"

<You're really going to need to be more specific than that, Cadet.>

The griffon in front of her stared with steely eyes, but Amethyst held her ground while granting him one side of a conversation. "I joined this organization to protect," she began. "I joined to protect this land and all of its citizens from those who would do it harm. Am I wrong in this, Chief?"

<No, you're pretty much spot on there, Cadet,> the voice in Amethyst's ear confirmed with sarcasm. <In fact, I'm pretty sure the essay portion on your first test covered that. At least fifty percent of your score, that was, so I can only assume you did pretty decent there. So I'm going to ask again: What. Is. The holdup?>

Amethyst didn't immediately answer. Instead she took a deep breath and fought the urge to close her eyes in thought; she knew better than to do that in front of a known terrorist. "Well, ma'am, it's rather simple." This is it, she thought, I'm throwing my life away right here and now. "The key word there was 'protect'."

<And? By killing that terrorist you will save millions of lives!>

The griffon continued to glare; he showed no signs of understanding what Amethyst was saying, nor did he look as though any of it went over his head. "Millions, yes," Amethyst answered. "Millions minus one."

The line was silent for a long time. Amethyst almost wondered if her words had failed to carry over, knowing full well that the odds of that being the case were very slim. She managed to restrain herself from jumping when the voice came back.

<So let me get this straight,> the voice said, drawing out each syllable, <you're saying that you refuse to kill this one griffon, even if it means saving millions of ponies? Friends, family, our nation's princess, all for some feathered fanatic that you've never met?>

"I believe... Yes, that is what I'm saying," Amethyst said with a nod, despite the fact that her conversation partner could not see her. "I joined the agency because you said my talents would be used to protect Equestria's citizens. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this griffon also an Equestrian citizen? I refuse to... illkay him, okay?" Amethyst looked back to the griffon; his glower remained unchanged. "You want me to bring him in, fine, but I swore my service to every pony in this land, even if they're not a pony."

<Is that how it is, Star?>

Amethyst nodded again. "Yes."

<Even though this decision could affect your status with us?>

The pink unicorn stood herself up taller. "Especially."

In that moment, lights flashed in the once dark basement and blinded Amethyst. From what she could tell in that instant, the overwhelming aura came from all sides of her. Instinct said to fire off a few rounds from her horn, but she managed to keep it within control. She opened her eyes in a squint, and tried her hardest to discern the new shapes around her. One in particular stood in front: not a griffon, but a pony. A mare, to be precise. A mint-colored coat covered the legs standing in front of Amethyst, and as she raised her head to look the pony in the face, she saw two golden eyes staring back at her with a satisfied smirk. The mare spoke with the same voice that had been buzzing in Amethyst's ear.

"Welcome to Ponies Protecting Ponies... Agent."


"Seriously, Lyra? You could have told me that whole operation was some kind of... spy hazing."

"That would have defeated the point, now, wouldn't it? Besides, I knew you would be fine, Agent."

"'Agent Amethyst Star'... That's going to take some getting used to."

"Well, you've earned it, kid."

Canterlot's Ponies Protecting Ponies headquarters was rarely a quiet location, and the mares had to speak a bit louder than normal to carry their conversation. Computers whirred and buzzed around them as agents and scientists galloped to and fro, though usually for their own personal pursuits than any real panic; the last genuine threat Equestria witnessed had taken place almost one thousand years ago.

"And we aim to keep it that way," Lyra Heartstrings would say whenever the topic came into discussion. She wasn't the highest ranking member of the PPP, but her record on the field alone gained her respect within the company. She first approached Amethyst when the young pink mare still worked a humble stand in Canterlot's marketplace, and volunteered to both train and supervise the newcomer.

"The fact of the matter is," Lyra began, "that just because we're called 'Ponies Protecting Ponies' doesn't mean we only protect ponies. As you're well aware, Equestria is home to dozens of sentient creatures, including griffons, donkeys, a few zebra immigrants — I mean, heck, my hand-to-hand combat instructor was a minotaur."

Amethyst tilted her head. "Hand-to...?"

"Look, it's a colloquial term. I didn't name it." Lyra gave one of her hooves a wave. "Point being, you showed some nerve refusing a direct order when it came to offing that terrorist, and we need that kind of nerve. Lesser ponies would have just followed orders, or — dare I say it — believed the deed necessary. Maybe even relish in it. And that is NOT the goal of this agency."

"Even if he was an actual terrorist?" asked Amethyst.

Lyra gave a sly smile. "You've got humor, Star. Save it for snappy banter in the field."

Amethyst shook her head. "I really could have killed him though!"

"Eh. I've been with you from the start, remember?" Lyra gave her pink companion a nudge in the ribs. "I knew you had it in you."

"Had it...? But I didn't do anything!" exclaimed Amethyst.

Lyra continued smiling. "Exactly."

Amethyst didn't have a chance to respond before a steel-plated door in front of them shot to the ceiling to let the two mares through. In the room beyond, a circular console sat with screens lining the walls around it, used for gathering intel and briefing agents on upcoming missions.

Lyra walked forwards to the room's console. "Now that you've been properly trained and assessed, it's time for your first real assignment."

Amethyst grunted. "A part of me wants to say 'second'."

Lyra snorted in response. "Every part of you can shout a different number for all I care." Lyra came off as a bit harsh at times, but every time she did, Amethyst could spot a smile underneath it all. Though, she had to admit, sometimes she had to look pretty hard.

Amethyst followed Lyra to the center of the console. The mint-green unicorn turned a few knobs, causing some of the screens around them light up with displays of various pictures; they were all focused on one particular purple unicorn.

"This is Twilight Sparkle."

"Got it. Bring her in?" Amethyst asked.

Lyra shook her head. "Hold your family, there; this isn't that kind of mission."

"Then what exactly have I been training for?" inquired Amethyst with scowl.

"Everything." Lyra spun another knob, and the pictures swirled until one showing the unicorn standing next to their princess was displayed.

Amethyst scoffed. "I imagine if she and the princess are so close that she's not planning on taking out the royalty any time soon."

Lyra turned another knob. "Spot on, kid. A keen eye like that might land you detective some day."

Amethyst couldn't tell if Lyra was being sarcastic, especially since she wasn't sure if the agency did have a detective division or not. "Okay, so what do you want me to do with her?"

"Nothing." Lyra turned to look at Amethyst. "Well, you know, not literally nothing. Oh man, your face..." Lyra cleared her throat before continuing. "Anyway, as I said before, the mare's name is Twilight Sparkle. Near about your age, and the personal student of Princess Celestia."

"Student?" Amethyst eyed the young mare in the picture warily. "What exactly is she learning from Celestia that isn't taught in schools?"

"Princess Celestia. And none of our concern," Lyra said. "What is our concern is that Princess Celestia herself made the request that we watch after this pony. Protect her. Makes sure she stays safe. And that she is to never ever discover our presence."

"This mare?" Amethyst asked incredulously, pointing to one of the pictures. "Why, out of all the ponies in Equestria, is our organization being asked to watch this one pony in particular?"

"Got me," Lyra said with a shrug. "But if the princess asks a pony to do something, she darn well better do it."

Amethyst wanted to retort but had a hard time finding the right words. "So just so I'm clear," she began slowly, "you expect me to spend all of my time following this pony and making sure that she doesn't get hurt?"

"We."

"Excuse me?"

Lyra turned off the console and then faced her counterpart. "You and I. We," she reiterated. "The two of us will be watching her together."

"Both of us? Why?" asked Amethyst. "Not that I don't want to work with you, of course," she added in a hurry.

Lyra raised an eyebrow but otherwise offered little response to Amethyst's comment. "Because at some point you're going to want to get a few winks," she said, "and somepony else will need to take over. Besides, having another pony on the mission will give you someone to talk to and keep you from getting bored, or going crazy trying to keep a secret."

Amethyst chose her next words carefully. "Well, not to sound ungrateful or anything, but if this is so important, then why not have more ponies on this team?"

Lyra shot Amethyst a sharp look, causing the pink unicorn to flinch. Lyra softened before saying, "Sparkle spends most of her time reading in the Canterlot library with her dragon assistant, or is at the side of Princess Celestia. In either case, she is hardly ever in any real danger."

"You don't think a dragon being around is a real danger?" asked Amethyst, monotone.

Lyra gave another look. "The thing is just a baby. Loves her like a big sister or something. Mommy issues, if you ask me. Whatever the case, they're very close, and the thing would sooner attack Celestia than the bookworm he resides with."

Amethyst grunted. "If you say so."

"I do," Lyra said. "Now come on; we've got some shopping to do."


"I have to admit, when you first said 'shopping', I was initially a lot more excited."

"Ugh, don't be such a filly. You're supposed to be a professional now."

"And a professional can't have a day to buy frilly things just because she can?"

"Not really."

Lyra and Amethyst were walking about Canterlot, a small blue bag with a heart on the front dangling from Amethyst's mouth. Thankfully her training with scenarios involving the loss of her magic left her with quite the knack for speaking clearly while transporting goods with her teeth.

"Besides, these things are exciting," Lyra stated. "I mean, we picked up a secondary communications device, a micro information stick, personal GPS, a badge..."

"Yeah, and most of this is going to be stuck somewhere on my body where I'm not too fond of things going."

"Eh, it only takes a day or two to start walking straight again." Amethyst was about to ask for clarification on whether or not Lyra's trademark sarcasm was in that statement, but the green unicorn cut her off. "Hey, since you're assigned to her and all, do you want to meet Twilight Sparkle?"

Amethyst almost dropped her bag. "Meet her? Aren't we supposed to make sure that she never knows we exist?"

"Relax," Lyra soothed. "That mare isn't aware of anything in front of her unless it's a book."

"Oh, well, if you're sure it's okay!" Amethyst said, perking up.

Lyra nodded. "Now, intel has been tracking her moves and habits for a while, so given the current day of the week, the hour, and the weather, she's most likely studying at a park nearby. We should be able to catch her there and relieve the last of the previous team assigned to her."

"Sounds good!" Amethyst said. "Wait, there are already other ponies watching her?"

"How do you think I had time to train you?" Lyra asked. "The agent we're relieving has been watching her since Princess Celestia first brought the assignment when Sparkle was just a filly. He's due for a new mission. That, or retirement."

"Makes sense," Amethyst admitted. A smile grew on her face. "Hey, isn't that her?"

"Keen eye, kid," Lyra said. "Here, watch, I'll wave, and if she ever recognizes me again I'll eat that bag and everything in it."

"Is that before or after half of them get implanted?"

The two watched as the purple unicorn whizzed past them without so much as a glance, bags full of books in tow.

"She seems nice," Amethyst joked. Her smile turned into a frown when she saw the worried expression on Lyra's face. "What's up?"

"Something's wrong," Lyra stated. "C'mon. The agent assigned to her isn't in sight, which means it's up to you and me to get some eyes on her." The green mare took off in a sprint, and her pink counterpart followed.

"Won't seeing two ponies chasing after her freak her out?" Amethyst asked over the wind rushing in her ears.

"That pony wouldn't notice if Canterlot was painted orange for a day!" Lyra called back.

"She's pretty speedy for a 'bookworm'!"

"You'd be surprised! Last year A.K. Yearling had a book signing, and—"

<You two: HQ. Now.>

The two ponies stopped dead in their tracks; they both heard the same dull voice.

"Right now?"

<Right now, Heartstrings.>

"But Sparkle—"

<Can wait. Two Canterlot guards are on their way to her library now.>

The two unicorns looked at each other for a brief moment before turning to run back the way they had come.


"There you two are."

"Sorry we're late, Dent," said Lyra.

"Yeah..." Amethyst huffed, "Late... Sorry..."

"'Sorry' only counts in marriage and board games," said the pony called Dent. The two mares in front of him looked at one another. Dent mimicked Lyra and also looked at Amethyst. "So this is the new recruit?" he asked.

"That's right," Lyra confirmed. "Finished her training just today."

Dent continued to stare at the pink unicorn. Amethyst could feel the back of her neck heating up and wasn't sure if she was supposed to say anything. Dent then looked to Lyra, who glared right back. The stallion looked as though he was going to say something, then decided against it. He turned his back to them as he approached the screen at the front of the room.

"Agent Greenhooves here," Dent began, "has been on the Twilight Sparkle mission ever since it was first set upon us."

An elderly pony in the room waved at the two of them. "So yer the ones replacin' me?" he asked. "Been lookin' forward to retirement for a while. Truth be told, I've always felt that gardenin'—"

"Can wait for just one more day," grunted Dent. The anger in his voice didn't reach Greenhooves, who sat and smiled pleasantly. Dent continued, "As I was saying, Greenhooves was on Sparkle detail when he overheard a keyphrase that was given to us when Princess Celestia first approached the agency."

"'Elements of Harmony'!" Greenhooves said cheerfully.

"And what exactly is that supposed to mean to us?" Lyra asked.

"You'll figure that out at your new station," Dent said.

"New station?" Amethyst repeated. "You mean we're moving? I just got my first mission here!"

"And your first mission is moving to a new station," Dent said. When both mares opened their mouths, he raised a hoof to silence them. "Look, here's the situation: At oh-nine-hundred Greenhooves heard the keyphrase and made the call. Sparkle was last seen and heard heading for her library, which we know to be a safe house. At oh-nine-thirty — just after I called you two — she made contact with Princess Celestia, who responded posthaste with a message detailing her immediate departure. Now, this is all above my head, but what I do know is that you two are still on Sparkle detail, which means that you're both relocating ASAP."

"To where, exactly?" inquired an indignant Lyra.

"Ponyville," Dent said simply.

"Ponyville?" asked Amethyst. "Why would Celestia want to send any of us to some farm town?"