• Published 12th Aug 2014
  • 994 Views, 55 Comments

Kurai the Forsaken : Rise of The Abyss - Seth Typofather



Seven years have passed since Manus had reawakened and Kurai battled Nito. A new threat, a new hero.

  • ...
4
 55
 994

Chapter 2: So Many Questions But Not Enough Answers

Opening his eyes slowly, the world was brighter than usual, was it summer? No, seasons were a distant memory in Lordran. Stretching with an audible yawn he observed his surroundings before getting up on all fours. Realising something he felt around with his paws in a panic. Upon seeing a blade lying in the grass, the breeze gently causing the blades of the green meadow to caress the sword. Inwardly singing with relief he placed a paw over it and drug it over before placing the handle firmly in his jaws. Throwing the blade up the hilt landed on his back after a few spins onto a special scabbard, locking into place. “Rrr… (At least my master’s gift is safe).” He growled while dusting off the blade with a paw. He was a dire wolf, much larger than any dire wolf to be exact. His fur was grey like a full moon’s glow and his jaws were unmatched in power compared to any other of his canine brothers and sisters, what set him apart however was the fact he was skilled enough to use a great sword with the same finesse as his master. Out of all those things, he was only proud of one thing. He was the companion and friend to his master, Artorias the Abysswalker. He was proud to be Sif, the Great Grey Wolf. Pointing his nose skyward he sniffed, catching a faint scent of a familiar person. Cautiously but swiftly he made his way into what seemed like a large foreboding forest.

——————

“So you’re saying he might be alive after he was as you say seemingly murdered?” Celestia asked her sister for the umpteenth time. Rolling her eyes the Princess of the Moon had enough of explaining to her vanilla coated sister, simply nodding as a response. “One more question.”

“What is it now?” Luna grumbled impatiently, her brow low. “I swear if it’s about Kurai being alive I will grab this cupcake and turn your horn into a cake stand.” She threatened.

Chuckling at the threat Celestia shook her head, trying not to go into full on laughter at that adorable attempt to sound threatening. “What is the name of the other human?”

Blushing with embarrassment at having made a spectacle of herself in front of her older sister and Twilight who sat idly by trying not to laugh alongside her mentor. Regaining her composure and clearing her throat to retain her dignity before the guards at the doors too burst out laughing she shot them a glare which shut them up. “His name is Artorias.” She snorted, holding her head high. “Wait,” Luna looked back at her sister with a cocked eyebrow. “Why would you want to know?”

“I asked Twilight to bring that book.” Celestia deadpanned. “If you would?” She asked her student with a smile. Nodding in response Twilight levitated and brought out that same book, placing it flat on the table. Clearing her throat the Princess of the Sun faced the book. “Artorias.”

The book rose from the table and spin, opening up and flicking through random pages before slamming down onto the table. Any harder and the table would have cracked, but it did send Celestia’s morning coffee flying and landing on the floor, staining the pristine tiles. It opened to an already filled out page, titled ‘Artorias the Abysswalker’. The lavender alicorn levitated the book over to herself and cleared her throat, preparing to read the story.

Sir Knight Artorias was one of the four Knights of Gwyn, the commanding knights of Lord Gwyn’s army. Artorias had an unbendable will of steel, which both helped, and fed his hatred for servants of the Dark, particularly Darkwraiths of Kaathe.

Lord Gwyn bequeathed him a custom-made ring, the Wolf Ring, to assist in his already unmatched ability to wield a greatsword.

When in New Londo, Artorias discovered the ability of abyss walking, earning his title, Artorias the Abysswalker, and allowed him to enter The Abyss. the home of the Darkwraiths and the Four Kings themselves. At some unspecified time in the past, when Oolacile was attacked by the Abyss, Artorias traveled to Oolacile to rescue Princess Dusk of Oolacile.

Artorias, deeply marked by the Abyss, and feeling his end was near, gave his shield which served as a magic aura, to protect his loyal battle-companion, a young Sif, from the Abyss. Later, he ha become fully corrupted by the abyss. some time later, an unknown hero, who travelled to the past, killed Artorias, releasing him from his wretched state. This also preserved his honour, because none would ever know what really happened to Artorias; he was instead believed to have died while facing the Abyss, instead of being corrupted to fulfil the Abyss’ goals and killed by an undead. The hero continued on to kill the dark creatures of the Abyss, and saved Sif, who was being held captive. To thank the hero, Sif awarded them the Cleansing Greatshield.

Thoughtfully tapping her chin Celestia was deep in thought, if Artorias was in Equestria, would he be a danger if he was still corrupted? Though, he did sound like something Equestria would need as a warrior while Solaire was busy with his own life. Having come up with a conclusion she levitated her tiara upon her head. “I’ll have a word with the grand council about this.”

“They were fired.” Luna quickly spoke up.

“Why?!” Twilight and Celestia exclaimed in unison.

“After the Alloy incident we had a vote, remember? We were doing so well before we hired them.”

“Is that even legal?” Twilight intervened, eyeing the Princess carefully.

“Well,” The Princess of the Sun began, stroking her brilliant mane. “It is if it is put to a vote for the better of the citizens, otherwise I just don’t care. They caused nothing but suffering just to line their saddlebags with bits, if they had not acted without our input the town of Alloy would be still standing. Now it’s just a giant mine. So I’d say you have done a great favour to everypony, dear sister.” As much as it pained her to say she did not care, it was the truth, the grand council was pretty much a corrupt democracy on top of a monarchy that worked even harder than they did by keeping the balance. Did the Princesses get paid? No, they used a very successful tax system all painfully constructed to each house for resources used and they were paid in gratitude for their hard work. “Well, I might as well send a letter to the Wonderbolt’s Captain to come over and have a discussion about a search team.” Twilight perked up at hearing this.

“You mean Rainbow Dash is coming over?” She beamed. “I missed her so much!” After becoming accepted into the Wonderbolts Rainbow Dash, past weather manager of Ponyville, had achieved her dream and far more. This was a meeting the Princess of Friendship was looking forward to, it has been what felt like ages after all. “Oh we have so much to catch up on! I need to get my list of things I need to catch up on her with!” And with that she teleported away. Rolling their eyes with a small smile on their faces the two rulers went about their morning tasks.

——————

A loud snoring echoed through the still standing ruins of the castle of the two sisters, disturbing the otherwise serene and silent building sitting smack dab in the middle of the Everfree. The snoring figure inside was huge, the build was definitely male and surprisingly not dragon nor a manticore. The creatures body was bipedal in appearance with a very muscular tone. He was clad in little armour, made of thick leather and fur pelts with rusted steel gauntlets and boots. The most unusual trait of the creature apart from his immense size was a steel helmet, much more well cared for than the rest of his armour, what set it apart was the resin that was packed into the eyeholes. By his side was a giant bow crafted out of dragon bone, the thread being a huge rope that would have been used to carry heavy materials in any other circumstance. Grumbling in his sleep stirred, shifting and rolled over to his side. “Well well,” A voice echoed through the main room. “Out of every cave you had to choose a castle to sleep in, friend.”

Growling with irritation the giant slowly sat up, his fingertips firmly on the ground to sense any intruders through vibration as well as his keen ears. “Who dares awaken Haweye Gough?!” He growled. “State thy name, intruder!”

“Intruder? For the last few years I have been living here, I would say you are the intruder.” The darkness replied with a chuckle.

Holding his tongue the giant stared with blinded eyes at the floor in shame, he did just enter this castle for shelter from the rainy weather last night. “Forgive me for my intrusion.” Gough bowed forth, resting his palms firmly on the ground. The sound of a book being shut and tossed onto a cushion was heard by the keen eared giant, the void stepped forward. That footstep, it was familiar to the Gough yet he couldn’t put his finger on it. Having been blind for so long he had developed a unique hearing ability, a hearing ability so precise he could tell who someone was by they way they walked, a hearing ability so perfect he could pinpoint a dragon’s wing flap miles away. Even farther if he focused. The voice stepped forward again, then again and again as if approaching. Upon remembering who’s step it belonged to he recoiled, pointing an accusing finger. “Wait a second. You’re…”

Author's Note:

I love cliffhangers, don't you?