• Published 5th Sep 2014
  • 1,221 Views, 88 Comments

A Battleground of Kindness - StormDancer



Demons are not notoriously cheerful, happy, bubbly, or even remotely nice. Ponies are not notoriously cruel, mean, callous, or evil as a rule. So when Gakham, an imp from another realm is unexpectedly banished, what he finds is... hell.

  • ...
3
 88
 1,221

Talent Tree

The table is set with all the simple cups and dishes in the cabinets. The silverware is out... the good stuff made of metal I haven't bent or burnt. The whole thing is sitting on a thin, delicate, 'spring-flower' yellow tablecloth... I've been told 'bile' is not a polite color... and I'm just about ready to puke from the scent of the cider that she insisted we pull out for today.

Spike has been busily slaving away in the kitchen making snacks. I've been going over the Master's incantations and dark rites... it doesn't matter that she calls them 'notecards,' I know they're meant to call upon dark powers even if I haven't seen them work yet. And all this after spending the first seven hours of the day meticulously cleaning the lair again.

But, ~BUT~, that's all in the past now, and I'm ready to do my part.

The Master's given us a list of what to expect, no doubt information obtained by the sacrifice of a disposable, though capable, minion. The two that the Master is hoping to ensnare are named "Rarity" and "Rainbow Dash" ... and if their names are any indication, they'll likely be just as disposable as the next victim.

I mean, really? Who names their spawn "Rainbow Dash?" Sounds like some kind of artistic seasoning.

'I say! Rainbow Dash, could you please fetch the Dire Warmaul of Cretanicus the Wrathful? Wait, on second thought, maybe we should send Dominus the Impaler to fetch it from the Boundless Pit of Eternal Suffering. Getting the Soggy Milksop of Mildly Unpleasant Dampness sounds more your speed.'

No. Definitely disposable.

Regardless! The Master wants them and Spike and I will collect them for her!

Mostly Spike. Almost completely Spike.

Spike will be doing the hard work, he's a dragon, they're built to do tough things!


The Master came down from her sanctum a few minutes ago to let us know it was almost time. Her 'list' of preparations was floating beside her as she strode around, examining and ticking things off as she went.

When she stopped to examine the silverware again, I began to sweat. With all the pikes and swords, little daggers and organ scoops she has, I can't keep straight which ones are 'dessert forks' and which are 'salad forks,' to say nothing of the other, less recognizable, weapons.

I may have just started putting them out by size.

When her horn started to glow, I knew I had failed her. When one of the blades rose in the air, turning slowly as her lips turned down in a frown, I could almost taste the blood that was about to erupt from me as she 'showed' me which was the 'butter knife' and which was the 'paring knife'... which I must have put out of order.

One must have an ordered method of torture. All things must have order, if my Master is to be believed.

But when she started smiling again, I couldn't help myself. I leapt forward and grabbed the blade, begging for another chance.

She blinked and pulled me off before setting us both down.

Then she continued on, complimenting me on the polish of the 'hollow handle butter spreader.'

HA! Take that etiquette!

And after a few more minutes, she declared our preparations satisfactory.

I was overjoyed! She'd checked everything over, from the placements of cushions to the measures for her guests drinks. She'd approved of our cleaning and even complimented me on my polish!

So, when there was a light, though measured, rapping at the door, I knew it was time to put the plan into action.

While Spike scampered off to indulge the curiosity of our minion applicant, I raced off to start the tea.

The Master has given me the responsibility of making the tea.

Spike is somewhat upset about this. I assume it is because it means he will have fewer corpses to consume if I claim the bodies first.

But Spike will not disobey the Master... so he is answering the door and I am making tea.

The Master assures me that tea is all I need to brew, having found I had 'mistaken' a distillate of alchemical toxins as ground tea leaves earlier. As such, I am forced to use dried, whole, leaves to simplify the process. Of course, upon looking over the leaves, it would have been far too obvious to simply poison them... the Master is clever in her methods.

We have two guests coming. Since only the one is here, if the other were to arrive as the first was choking to death, the plan might fall apart.

Tea can be served throughout the evening, and once they are assured it is safe, they may lower their guard, allowing us to take them at the opportune moment.

With a huff, I threw the leaves in, boiled the water, and clutched the little metal handle the Master had added to the teapots to help withstand the flames. Still not sure why she did that... shrapnel works wonders for close quarters fighting.

And after a moment, the smell of deception and wickedness started to rise.

...

I'm told 'rose infused pekoe' is remarkably akin to the scent of deception and wickedness.


She was another magic user, vain and perhaps highborn. A coat the color of bleached bone and a spray of hair that coiled like the tentacles of some forgotten god, all the color of deathbloom blossoms. This 'Rarity' carried herself with the sure steps of one who is used to giving orders and expecting them to be followed. Her face bore a smile, like the Master's, and only served to confirm my fears: The Master was being hunted.

But, the Master had clearly expressed that I was to leave such things to Spike, especially with this 'Rarity' creature. And as she strode through the 'parlor,' I could see why. Unlike any of the others I'd seen through the window, save Applejack and the 'Big Mac', 'Rarity' wore a full set of armor.

From the tip of her horn to the glittering glow that shimmered over her hooves, 'Rarity' was adorned with splendorous gear. A helm, of cream colored cloth with more gems than I've ever seen slotted before, rested upon her head. A vestement of blue silks with intricate silver thread, clearly spellthread since no smith could hope to make such fine work, slid across her body. Her legs were gilded in a fine, shimmering, something I can only assume is a glamour of some kind. And her tail... even her TAIL... was wrapped in a skin of some gossamer fine threadwork with a lattice of glistening violet facets.

And as I stood there, hoping against hope that the Master was prepared to face this cutthroat, she lit her horn in a clear display of power.

Within seconds, her armor was peeled away, flitting off in a cool cyan glow as she disrobed in front of us, casually casting away what must have taken months, or perhaps years, of bloodthirsty raids to acquire.

She was that sure of her skill that she desired to challenge the Master with nothing but her wits and skin.

Not gonna lie... that was pretty hardcore. I may have accidentally lit something on fire last week.... but after the Master's 'lessons' I kept things in check.

Mostly.

And all the Master did was smile and welcome her, as if this were a normal occurrence!

This 'Rarity,' appears to have been of the same mind, since she too smiled and the pair hugged, before retiring to the table for what would, no doubt, be a test of wills for the ages.

About that time, Spike stepped in front of me and growled out something about not staring at his mare.

I have no desire to treat with that thing... he can face her when the Master requires. I'll wait for this 'Rainbow Dash.'


The two of them have been 'chatting' for the better part of an hour now. I've tried to follow along with the conversation, but no matter how I skew it, I can't figure out who's winning. Every few minutes 'Rarity' will erupt with a tiny little laugh, something akin to the taunting call of a felboar, while the Master will roll her eyes or chuckle along. Then, the Master will go along with a lecture about something or other and 'Rarity' will get a glazed look in her eyes, but before the Master can delicately slip a dagger between her ribs or peel her face off with a spell, 'Rarity' will snap back to clarity and return the mental fire.

I... actually have no idea how they're fighting, but if the Master is this jovial, she must be thoroughly enjoying the combat.

I keep having to fight the urge to simply leap on 'Rarity' and blind her with my claws. She's right there, taunting my Master with her offhand dismissals and subtle displays of power. Oh sure, she's about as 'subtle' with her self-importance as a worgen is covered in fleas, but somehow she's still alive..... which I suppose means the Master is actually considering her for employment.

Minion status.

Better be below me.

Whatever the case, I've noticed that she's somehow rested control of 'Spike' from the Master... something that is both unsettling and entirely too dangerous for my liking.

And even though I keep trying to get the Master's attention, keep trying to warn her of the traitorous bitch's impending backstabbing, the Master keeps just brushing me off.

I mean, I'm trying to be polite here.... the Master's lessons were clearly outlined... but I'm still fairly certain that no amount of polite discourse or etiquette will defend against the infinite dragon flight's wrath.... mind controlled or otherwise.

Heck, I even asked the Master if she wanted me to stab the Rarity when she wasn't looking... in case the Master simply hadn't noticed her treachery.... and the Master actually stopped her conversation long enough to summon her list, highlight bullet two-hundred and seventeen, and instruct me to fetch more tea.

And when I brought it back, she even cleansed it of the felblossom sap I'd snuck in to immobilize this 'Rarity!'

I'm trying to help here!

Something is clearly wrong with this situation... it's clear that the Master is somehow losing this battle against the Rarity.

Spike is unpredictable. He is fiendishly loyal to the Master, but no amount of loyalty can withstand mind control for too long. Nevermind that the Rarity is somehow using what is traditionally a priest spell. I'm starting to get concerned that she has some form of trinket or artifact that we missed and is simply wearing the Master down.

I want to help.

I NEED to help.

But the list is much more strict than the Master's original contract.

And then it stuck me, literally in this case, as a bolt out of the blue!

A feathered blue bolt, with a madness inducing spray of color, out of the sky, through a window, and directly into my face with the force of a fekking Fel Reaver.

As I'd find out later.... that was to be our second 'guest' of the day: one Rainbow Dash.