• Published 31st Oct 2011
  • 10,167 Views, 214 Comments

Time in Equestria - Fox-Sama



Can Twilight Sparkle work up the nerve to tell Rainbow how she feels? will Rainbow make it easy for her? Not a chance

  • ...
19
 214
 10,167

Chapter tree. War of competition

Time in Equestria Chapter three

Chapter three.

War of Competition

Not a single pony in the crowd was sitting as they cheered on the competitors, who were currently heading to the locker area to get prepared for the first event while on the field a few ponies were running around setting up large barrels.

“Well Pinkie, it looks like the first event has been revealed to be a rodeo classic - the Barrel weave,” Spike said, pointing out the barrels.

“Oh, how fun! This is how the test run started last year. If I remember right, Applejack had the better time, but got a five second penalty for nudging one of the barrels which gave the Win over to Rainbow. And now all we have to do is wait for our competitors to get ready,” Pinkie added

“And on that note, Pinkie, I would like to let everypony know that the competitors will all be wearing special jerseys made just for today by Rarity at the Carousel Boutique, where every garment is chic, unique and magnifique,” Spike announced proudly.

While Pinkie gave spike an odd look before starting a long rant about Sugarcube Corner, the competitors were getting ready for the events and talking amongst themselves. Rainbow Dash was torn; she wanted to go talk with the two members of the Wonderbolts, but also wanted to see what Gilda was planning. Not to mention she was more then a little ticked off at Twilight for not telling her about the Wonderbolts or Gilda. She sat quietly in the corner as Applejack approached her brother.

“What in tarnation’ are ya doin’ here Mac? I thought for sure you’d be sellin’ apples out there! I didn’t know you were gonna enter.”

“Well, after I seen you ‘n’ Rainbow Dash compete last year I thought it would be mighty fun to try it for mahself. Hope ya don't mind too much AJ, I know this is your thing and all,” the big stallion drawled.

Applejack smiled up at her big brother, knowing that he wasn’t here to start anything. But she still didn’t like the idea one bit. He was the one that taught her everything she knew about working the farm and she knew full well what the red stallion was capable of.

“Oh don't worry none, I was just surprised is all. With you here it’s gonna be a lot harder to win. Good luck out there big brother.” Applejack gave her brother a pat on the back and turned to leave, only to stop as a pail blue Pegasus approached them.

“Well, well, well. Look who fell out of the Apple tree, Big Macky Macintosh.”

Big Macintosh smiled and looked to his left. “If mah memory serves me right Soarin, it was your lazy flank what fell outta the trees while you slept in ‘em.”

Soarin and Macintosh shook hooves and gave each other a light hug, “Damn Macky, you got even bigger. You’re at least a head bigger than me now!” The pale blue Pegasus stallion teased.

“Hold your horses, Big Mac, you knew this here Wonderbolt?” Applejack gestured to Soarin with her hoof, both surprised and confused.

Both Soarin and Big Macintosh looked at her as Mac spoke, “Ah'm surprised ya don't remember AJ. Soarin here was always at the farm when you were a little filly; he would sleep up in the trees and keep me company. Heck, you called him your brother for the longest time.”

“What?” Applejack looked at Soarin’ in shock. “Then why didn’t ya say somethin’ at the Gala?”

“Well I didn’t know that you were little Applejack at the time. It wasn’t until later after eating the Pie that I knew it was from the Apple family.”

“So this is the famous Apple family you always talk about.” The three ponies looked to their right as a yellow Pegasus approach them. She was wearing a light gray jersey with bright red trim and her name stitched on the back in gold silk.

“Spitfire, I want you to meet...” Soarin trailed off as he looked over his friend, “Why are your wings glowing?”

“Oh, the ref said she had to use magic to lock my wings so I don't use them by mistake during the competition.” She looked back at her wings, “It feels really weird, but its only temporary. You'll have to do it too, Soarin.” Spitfire redirected her attention to Big Mac. “So this monster of a stallion must be Big Macintosh. And you...” Spitfire’s breath caught in her throat as she looked Applejack over, her cheeks going rosy much to Soarin's delight. “... and you must be Applejack?”

“I sure as sugar am, nice to meet ya! Any friend of Mac is a friend o’ mine.” Applejack took Spitfire’s hoof and shook it happily.

On the other side of the locker room Rainbow Dash was watching her idols talk with Applejack. She wanted nothing more than to go over there herself, but she knew in her mind what she had to do. So, taking a deep breath, she got up and walked over to her old friend.

Dash remembered all the times she and Gilda had hung out as kids, getting angrier the more she dwelt on it. Even back in flight camp Gilda was a bully… and so was she. Back then she thought the stunts they pulled were harmless pranks, but the more she thought about it the more she realized they weren’t.

“Yo Dash, what’s up? Come over to ask if I’ll take you back, even though you flipped on me? Well, guess I can. You were always cute when you were all pissy,” Gilda teased, studying her claw disinterestedly.

“Yeah, like that will happen. If I remember right I was the one that broke up with you.” Dash said sharply. “Now what are you doing here Gilda? You and I both know you don't have any friends here, and after disrespect you shown the Princesses you’re lucky you don't have mob of angry ponies out for your beak. So why are you here?” Dash asked, looking the Griffin in the eye.

“Fine. If you want to know ‘Dashie’, I'm here to put you lame ponies in your place.” Gilda answered, voice low but clear. “You see, after you flipped on me I did a lot of thinking. And I learned that you ponies all think you’re so high and mighty. Well guess what? You’re not.” Dash stood there glaring while her Ex spoke, “And I am not the only one who thinks this. A lot of griffins do, and the same goes for Diamond dogs, Dragons, and Buffalo. You ponies don't have as many friends then you think, and as for this…Iron Pony competition? It’ll be The Iron Griffin competition when I am done with it.”

It was at this time that Twilight and Rarity trotted over, stopping in their tracks as they sensed the tension in the air. “Rainbow?” Twilight ventured cautiously, “Is everything okay?”

“Yeah. Everything is fine, Twi. I’m just happy to have better company then this feathered dumbass.” She gave a hard look to Gilda before turning away from the Griffin, smiling kindly to the lavender mare. “So what's up?”

“Oh, we’re just here to hand you both your jerseys, and to put the Anti-Flight Charm on your wings.” As Twilight spoke she levitated two jerseys, one small and one much larger.

“Back up, what is all this about some Anti-Flight Charm? I did not sign up to be some lame pony’s little guinea pig, so keep that horn away from me or else.” Gilda threatened as she snatched her shirt from the air.

“Umm, excuse me Gilda, but you have to have your wings bound if you want to compete. It’s in the rules you read over and signed last night. So, unless you want to leave now...” Twilight was hoping for her to leave but would never say it.

“Which will do everypony a favor.” Dash grumbled, and Twilight struggled to keep her smile form growing.

“I suggest you let me cast my spell, or you let me tie your wings down with a rope.” Twilight said, stomping her hoof lightly.

After a short debate which garnered the attention of everypony in the locker room, Gilda begrudgingly agreed to having the rope tied around her wings. She stalked off to get ready, and once she was gone Twilight put her horn to Rainbow's wings to lock them down.

“Twilight why did you let Gilda enter? She’s only here to start trouble with me.”

“With that I will agree, that Griffin has the personality of a lemon tree,” Zecora spoke up.

“Eeyup.”

“I'm sorry everypony, but it wasn't my idea. I was going to tell her no, but Princess Celestia said I shouldn’t judge her by her past actions. As much as I don't like this, I can’t very well tell the Princess that Gilda doesn’t deserve a second chance.” Twilight sighed as she looked back to Dash.

“Well I’m still going to keep an eye on her and I want your help Twi. I can’t prove it, but I'm pretty sure that she was the one responsible for Bob's rash. It was something she did a lot back in flight camp.” Dash said as she watched Gilda leave out the back of the tent. “I can’t believe I was ever like her.” Dash’s head dropped low, her ears pinning back against her head.

Stepping forward Twilight brought her nose under Rainbow’s chin and nuzzled lightly into her neck in hopes of cheering up the brightly colored Pegasus. “You said it yourself, you were like her. But now you are a much better pony, you’re a great friend. You have friends that care for you, you are Rainbow Dash. Not some bully.”

“Thanks Twi, I really needed that.” Rainbow returned the hug before stepping out of it. “Now if you’ll excuse me I have to go see why Applejack of all ponies is talking with my idols.”

XXX

“Okay everypony, looks like we are ready to get the show on the road! And first up, the Barrel weave. It’s a simple event where the runner needs to weave around each barrel and get to the end as fast as they can.” Spike said as he watched Twilight get into position.

“That’s right Spike, but you forgot a little teenie weenie thing. If they touch a barrel they get five seconds added on to their time, and that’s a bad thing, since this competition depends on being super-fast! And those mean barrels want to mess them up and make everypony laugh at them.” Pinkie spoke as if the barrels were plotting against the Ponies.

“Pinkie, what in Equestria are you talking about?” Spike looked up at her, confused.

“Just the rules silly.”

“No, but I mean....”

“Ohhh! Looks like Twilight is ready!” Pinkie directed everyone’s attention down to arena, where Twilight was smiling and looking around at the crowd. “And now our first runner is coming to the field! It’s the big bucker himself, Big Macintosh!” Pinkie shouted.

The crowd stomped their hooves in excitement for the Red stallion as he walked over to the start of the barrel weave course. “Okay Big Mac, are you ready?” Twilight asked as she used her magic to float a stop watch next to her.

“Eeyup.”

“Okay then, you can start at the bang.” Twilight took a step back, her horn shimmering for a moment. A loud bang echoed through the stadium and Macintosh took off down the fairway, his heavy hooves digging into the soft dirt with each step.

He had swerved around barrels one, two, and three, but his large frame proved to hurt more than help, as his flank knocked barrel four over. His front legs kicked the fifth barrel right in to the sixth, but Mac had no time to stop. Shaking his head he pushed himself a bit faster, weaving around the remaining barrels flawlessly.

“21.03 seconds!” Twilight shouted as the crowd cheered, “But you also hit two of the barrels, which brings your time to 31.03.”

Macintosh shook his head and walked off the field, thinking to himself he would have done better with a fast trot. He smiled and waved to the stomping, cheering crowd before disappearing back into the tent.

“Ouch, you hate to see that happen to the big guy. His time was really good, but those barrels all but cost him this event.” Spike said shaking his head. “Good thing there will be an after party to celebrate all the competitors that should cheer him upright Pinkie?”

“That's ri.... Wait, party? What party?” Pinkie asked as all the color started to drain from her face.

“The after party your gonna…wait, you don't have a party planed?” As Spike spoke these words every citizen of Ponyville stopped and witnessed the party pony’s mane deflate.

“I.. I forgot to plan.... a party.” Pinkie’s eyes dilated and her right ear twitched. She stood up, calmly removed her headset and walked out of the booth.

“Uh oh… Okay Everypony, stay out of the way of a Pink Earth Pony named Pinkie Pie. If she approaches you, do what she says and all will be fine in the end. This is not a test, I repeat this is not a test.” Spike said with a hint of fear, looking down to Twilight for help. She was looking just as nervous as he was. “Well, I guess the show must go on, so our next runner is a Pony you can count on to help with all matters! Let’s hear it for APPLEJACK!”

Once again the crowd stomped and cheered as Applejack made her way to Twilight's side, though many of the Ponies were still looking confused as to why Pinkie left, some even a bit scared from Spike’s message.

“What are we gonna do about Pinkie? Ya'll remember what happened on Hearths Warmin’, What we had to do-”

Twilight slapped a hoof over AJ’s mouth to keep her quiet, “Don't say it, I still have nightmares.” Twilight said with a shudder, “For now we will leave her to her own devices, but if we see her getting Madame le Flour, then we'll stop her.”

“Well, if yer sure about that Twi. Let’s get this contest back on track.” Applejack smiled and moved to the starting line, getting herself ready to run. Soon the starting bang was heard and she took off like a rocket, bobbing and weaving around barrel after barrel, showing off her rodeo skills.

“17.02 seconds!” Twilight cheered and reared up in excitement with the rest of the crowd. Applejack stood there panting with a bewildered look on her face, Big Macintosh moving to his sister to congratulate her on her best run ever.

“Wow, did you all see that? Applejack just set a new Iron Pony record!” Spike announced, standing on his chair. “This broadcasting business is a lot harder to do by yourself.” he let out a little laugh, before yelping when the door to the booth was kicked open

Pinkie, looking like a pony on a mission, walked in and dropped burlap sack in her old spot “Spike, she will help you until I am done.”

She grabbed the drawstring between her teeth, and with one swift motion opened the bag, spilling out its contents onto the floor.... Its horribly familiar contents... “How dare you treat Trixie like this!”

Spike’s mouth dropped open as Trixie glared daggers at Pinkie. Without breaking eye contact, the pink earth pony spoke. “Spike, I know I was suppose to help you and I am really really, really, really sorry. But the party is super-duper trouble, and I just can’t let everypony down.” Pinkie’s voice sounded mournful, but her smile remained as she looked back at Trixie, whose eyes were beginning to water from the prolonged staring.

“But I brought you a friend to help, and the best part is you already know her, and she’s always putting on shows all over Equestria, so we know she’s good at talking to other ponies, so she will be...”

“Do you never blink!?” Trixie shouted, rubbing her eyes.

“Well, duh. Now if you excuse me, I have a party to plan,” her tail twitched as she spoke the word party before running off again, leaving Trixie and Spike alone in the booth.

“Trixie.”

“Dragon.”

“Okay, so what are you doing back in Ponyville?” Spike asked as he crossed his arms.

Trixie let out an indignant huff before turning her head up. “Trixie was just passing through, when Pinkie grabbed Trixie and brought her here.” Trixie looked around at all the ponies that had been seated around the area. “Is Trixie at some sort of sporting event? And what is it fo- Does Trixie see the Royal Sisters?!” She gasped as both princesses and many of the surrounding ponies looked up at her.

“Umm… yeah, they’re the special guests, and this is the Iron Pony Competition. Where have you been?” Spike asked in a rude manner.

“Well, sorry if Trixie does not keep up with Ponyville events.” Trixie waved her hoof dismissively. “Now what did that pink pony mean by saying that Trixie is your partner?”

“I think she wants you to cover for her as an announcer while she’s out doing her… planning. But I don't think I need your help.”

The crowd outside laughed and Trixie gave an indignant huff. “Please, Trixie is an expert at entertaining Ponies. You would be lucky if she helped you.”

As the Pony and Dragon stared each other down there was a bright purple flash followed by a popping sound, “Okay, Spike, stop antagonizing ponies. You know better than that.” Twilight turned to Trixie, “And Trixie, I’m not sure why you are here and I am sorry Pinkie pony-napped you. But if you’re not going to help, I need you to leave the booth so Spike can do his job. We are busy if you can’t already tell.”

Trixie stamped her hoof in frustration, “Why is it when Trixie comes to this village everything goes wrong? Fine. Trixie will stay and help, but you, Twilight Sparkle, have to talk to Trixie by the end of the day.”

“Okay, that’s fair. Thank you for not fighting and making a scene, Trixie.” Twilight said with a smile.

Spike, however, stood there with his mouth open. “What? But Twilight I don’t need this show-off’s help! I can do this by myself.”

“Spike, don’t forget it was Pinkie Pie that brought her here. So Pinkie should have a reason for it, and you saw her mane go flat, right? Don't you remember last Hearth’s Warming Eve?!” Twilight and Spike shuddered at the memory.

Spike zipped over to Trixie and started shaking her hoof, welcoming her over and over before he started explaining the what the Iron Pony Competition was and going over the list of the events.

Twilight was about to teleport back down when the door burst open and a frightened and panting Scootaloo ran in. “Twilight, I was just at Mr and Mrs Cake’s stand when Pinkie ran in and grabbed them and ran back to town!”

“Oh my…I guess I’ll send Fluttershy to keep an eye on her,” Twilight said, putting a hoof to her face, then she noticed something odd. “Um, Scootaloo, what’s that on your flank?”

Scootaloo’s eyes widened as she slowly craned her neck back and saw it. Taped to her flank was a little piece of paper with a picture of a chicken drawn on it. Then the sounds Apple Bloom asked as she and Sweetie Belle giggling filled her ears and she saw red..

Yelling in rage, Scootaloo charged her friends and tackled them to the ground with an audible thud. “I am not a chicken!”

“Help, she’s biting me, she’s biting me!”

“OW! No horn!”

“I think Trixie has changed her mind. She will be taking her leave now.” Trixie moved for the door, but the moment her hoof touched the threshold a large pink wall blocked her path. Before anyone could blink, Pinkie put her red announcer coat on the azure unicorn and stared right into Trixie's eyes. “Or maybe Trixie will sit down and have fun....” The show pony sat down trying not look at Pinkie.

Pinkie let a big smile cross her face before dashing off.

XXX

One by one the competitors made their runs. Soarin made a good time of 18.00, but it was who Spitfire scared Applejack with a time of 17.04. Zecora's time was 17.24, though Twilight had to consult the Princesses about her slipping over the last barrel. Gilda was rather fast for her size, getting a time 19.21.

Rainbow Dash took her starting position, taking off as quickly as she could when the starting bang rang out. The crowd was cheering loudly as she swerved around the first barrel. All eyes were on the rainbow-colored pegasus.

No one saw Gilda as she pulled out a little hand mirror, using it to reflect the sun’s light right into Rainbow's eyes. Rainbow was forced to to squint, and even close her eyes as she ran. But it was that what made Rainbow ran right into the last barrel, sending her down to the dirt just short of the finish line.

XXX

Letting out a groggy moan, Rainbow Dash opened her eyes only to be blinded by a bright light. “Someone put out the sun…”

“Rainbow? Are you okay?” Rainbow looked to her left and saw both Applejack and Twilight standing by her bed, the other competitors behind them.

“Yeah, I think so.” She sat up and looked around, finding herself in Nurse Redheart’s first aid tent. “Why am I here? Did I hit my head that hard?” She moved a hoof to her head and winced as she touched the cut over her right eye.

“That’s a good sign, remembering that you hit your head shows that you don’t have a concussion, now will you please lay back down so I can finish.” A hoof appeared on Rainbow’s shoulder and gently pushed her back to the bed where she was again blinded by the light and this time felt a sharp stinging over her eye.

“When you hit you head you cut yourself pretty badly over your right eye. Nurse Redheart is giving you stitches now,” Twilight informed the cyan mare, “But what happened? I’ve seen you fly three times as fast and turn on a bit. Did you trip?”

“What? No, I was doing great and then- Ow!” Dash hissed as Redheart pulled the stitches tight, closing the cut and turning off the light. “I had the sun in my eyes, and I couldn’t see a thing.”

“But the sun was behind you. Did any of you have that problem?” Twilight asked, looking behind her to the other competitors who were shaking their heads. “Well, okay then…Why don't you all get ready, the next event will start soon.” With that comment the others left until it was just Dash, Twilight, Applejack, Gilda, Spitfire, and Nurse Redheart.

“Okay, your head is fine and you have no sign of a concussion, but you are going to have a rather bad headache. Now I already know that you won’t come and tell me if you have trouble seeing, so,” She looked to Twilight, “Twilight Sparkle, as her friend and the referee of this competition, I expect you to keep an eye on her and notify me immediately if you see her acting strangely, am I clear?”

Dash huffed and got off the bed, muttering about not needing or wanting a babysitter, earning her a giggle from Twilight. Looking back Twilight thought she would see Dash talking with Applejack and Spitfire, but instead she saw Dash walk past them and right out of the tent.

“Is she going to be alright? She looked really mad.” Spitfire asked as she and Applejack walked over to Twilight.

“I think she is a little embarrassed about what happened out there. She just needs to calm down. I’ll talk to her before the next event. Speaking of which, I thought for sure you would have taken the win, Spitfire.” Twilight smiled.

“Ya got that right Twi, when she took off from the startin line I thought I lost! Who woulda thought a big shot flyer could get that kind of speed on her hooves? I guess ya can’t judge a book by its cover.” Applejack grinned at the yellow Pegasus.

Spitfire smiled at the other two mares, “Thanks, but I’m just shocked that I even came close to your time Applejack. I never knew I could move like that without my wings.”

“Now, don't go sellin’ yerself short, from what I saw you and I are gonna be neck ‘n neck all day. It’s gonna give all them ponies out there a good show, and make this contest real close. I fer one am happy to have ya here!” AppleJack smiled at the Pegasus.

“Thank Applejack. Say, if there is time later can you show me around the your Farm? It’s been so long since I had a chance to enjoy the smells and sights of one.” Spitfire asked, looking a little nervous.

While the three mares were conversing inside Rainbow Dash was passing around the side of the tent berating her self for hitting her head and humiliating her self in front everypony, when she saw a small round light moving around the side of the tent. Looking over her shoulder she saw Gilda playing with a little hand Mirror “Wicked cut you got there Dash. If it scars it’s going to look really boss, too bad it will be a reminder of you taking a dive in front of a large crowd and two if the blunder bolts.” It was at this point Gilda used the little Mirror to to shine light in Dash's eye.

“You! It was you!” Rainbow yelled, her once rose-colored eyes now burning with the fires of hatred. Dash moved to kick the smirking beak from her former friend’s face when Gilda reared up on her hind legs, readying herself for a fight.

“What is going on here!” Dash stopped and saw Twilight, Applejack, and Spitfire staring at her and Gilda. It had been Twilight that had shouted , but Rainbow’s eyes were already back on Gilda.

“I’ll tell you whats going on, Gilda used her mirror to blind me on my run! She made me hit my head!” Rainbow shouted, pointing a hoof at the mirror, all the while glaring daggers at the Griffin.

“What?! That's a lie! You know how bad her temper is, she's just mad she messed up in front of all those ponies out there, I was just offering to show her how the cut looks.” Gilda said, dropping the little mirror at Dash's hooves. “And now she's just looking for a scapegoat! So much for trying to be your friend again dash, you changed too much, I don't want anything more to do with you.” Gilda took her leave, a great big smirk on her face.

Rainbow Dash stood there looking shocked, but shock gave way to more and more anger. And then “You lying bitch!” Her hooves dug deep into hard ground as she thundered towards the back of the griffin, but she was stopped by Both Applejack and Spitfire as they grabbed the Rainbow mare at her shoulders, despite the efforts of the Wonderbolt and the workhorse, Rainbow was still gaining ground.”

“Rainbow! Calm down! Ya know ya can’t just go off fightin’ willy-nilly!” Applejack shouted as she struggled to hold her friend back.

“Listen to her Rainbow Dash, a Wonderbolt would never act like this!” Spitfire yelled, trying to appeal to Dash's dream.

Much to the mares’ dismay, Dash did not listen, but then they saw faint glowing purple light emanating form Rainbow before she was lifted up into the air “You two can go and get ready for the next event, I have her.” Twilight’s words were soft and confident. Applejack gave her a skeptical look, but the Unicorn reassured her and moved off, leaving the other two friends alone. “Rainbow? I need you to try and relax.”

Dash just floated there, not even bothering to struggle but not looking from the path Gilda had took. “Twilight, she cheated, and she humiliated me in front of everypony I know, and then laughed in my face about it. She all but admitted to blinding me with that mirror.”

Twilight was a little scared of her blue friend, she had never seen anypony so angry before, let alone one dearest friends. “Rainbow, please try and calm down, I believe you, I know Gilda is only here to cause trouble, but I can’t kick her out until I see her cheating, but believe me when I say this, I will be keeping my eye on her. I am going to need your help to do it. But first I need you to take a deep breath and calm down. Please.” Twilight whispered the last word, as she looked deeply into Rainbow’s magenta colored eyes.

Rainbow blinked before looking back into Twilight's violet eyes. Before her rigid body went slack as if all her muscles left her body. “Okay twilight, I trust you.” Smiling, Twilight let Rainbow drop back to the ground. “Thank you Twilight, for calming me down, but don't get me wrong, I am still mad, and she will pay. But I won’t stoop to her level.”

Twilight gave Dash a hug, this hug that blinded both of them to a crazed-looking Pinkie Pie dragging off a scared-looking Mr and Mrs Cake, with a very nervous Fluttershy following. “Oh my, Umm, Pinkie, I don't think, Umm, Oh, please stop.” She pleaded with the pink earth pony, but her her soft voice had gone unheard.

“Okay Dash, are you ready to win this and make that griffin sorry she came back?” Twilight asked with a grin.

“You bet, Egghead. “ Dash said, smiling for the first time since waking up.

“Good, but you might want to wash up, you still have dried blood all over your coat. I will see you out there.” Twilight said.

XXX

Chapter three everypony, I hope you all like it. And I love your feedback! So please leave a comment!

Something new I am doing a story Recommendation for stories I think are fantastic.
Story. “Love Triangles and Other Funny Shapes” by TheGentlemanCreeper. If you like the CMC's, you will like this!


Once again I would like to thank my proof reading team. Jcel4569 and Valaris