• Published 11th Aug 2014
  • 1,178 Views, 67 Comments

The Five: Into the Beyond - lyra_lover777



Five adventurers set out to the lands beyond Equestria to recover pieces of a lost artifact that is crucial to Equestria's survival against a new foe.

  • ...
2
 67
 1,178

Chapter 7: Sink or Swim

Amethyst shook her head, preparing to drown as the hippocampi stared daggers at Coco. Their eyes were narrowed and Clammer's face was so red it looked as though somepony had spread ketchup all over it.

Oh thought Amethyst. Spike and Coco are lucky. While we all drown, they will get to live an extra minute before they get skewered on tridents.

Amethyst looked down at Dinky who was shaking, her pupils shrinking to the size of pins as she saw a purple hippocampus sharpening her sword.

"W-we will give you ten minutes. Leave after that, and well, you won't be leaving." said Clammer.

Roseluck called Coco a hay face, a bad seed, and wet wheat. Everypony looked in horror at Roseluck's use of bad words. Wet wheat! That was a serious insult!

The hippocampi left, swimming nearby. They planned it out, and had eight minutes left.

Coco and Spike hopped over the side of the ship, plunging into the crystal clear ocean. She saw Roseluck shudder. Amethyst just hoped the wouldn't be at the bottom of the sea, cut into pieces, in the next eight minutes.

===

Coco plunged into the freezing water. Even with the magically heated suits, she could still feel the wwater like she wasn't wearing thick material over her whole body.

She looked at the timer that had been put on the suit. 6 minutes left.

Coco dove at what looked like a gear, but was just a slimy moss covered rock. She could see Spike frantically swiping rocks out of the way and flinging up sediments out of his way as he dug.

Coco shook her head as she swam over to a large group of pink coral. She peered behind the pink sea fans, finding a moray eel and several sea slugs, but no bronze part. Coco looked at her watch. 4 minutes or they were all dead, and Equestria doomed from an unknown evil.

Coco shook herself. She saw a green glow coming from a small sea cave. She hesitantly swam over to it, peering inside. Inside was an old shriveled bag of a hippocampi. Coco recoiled. But in the corner was a glowing orb of magical energy, its green color pulsing and making the walls turn a disturbing green.

Coco knew it must be the part. A weapon couldn't be made of just gears, right?

Coco looked over to see Spike far away, making the water murky and brown with his digging. He was to far away. Coco looked down at the timer. 3 minutes.

She quickly ducked into the cave. The old hag became immediately alert. "Hello my dear." she rasped. Her voice was raspy and nasally at the same time. He coat was a lush neon green that had faded over time, and her mane was a faded dark green. Her eyes were pure black, like her eyes were just one huge pupil.

Coco swam forward. 2 minutes. "Um, can I have that green thingy?" asked Coco.

"Oh dear." she said. "I don't think you'll need it since you won't be leaving. Ever."

Coco watched in horror as the old hag's skin morphed and changed until she was a sleek black creature. It's body was like a cuttlefish with the head of a pony and an insectoid shell clinging to its back. It was strangely reminiscent of a changel-

"I am Tabitha the sea changeling. Meet your doom!" Tabitha screamed before launching herself at Coco, changing into Coco's mom, Fabric Bolt. The black body of Tabitha changed into a cream one. Tabitha's black mane became a red one. Tabitha's insect eyes became beautiful sea green ones. A cutie mark of a bolt of pink fabric sprung onto the pony's flank.

Coco just stared. She knew she had to kill her, but she couldn't. She knew it wasn't really her mother, but she just couldn't shake it.

Suddenly Coco realized her love for her mother was feeding the sea changeling. Tabitha/Fabric was smiling greedily with her mouth open wide like she was consuming giant bites of food.

Coco closed her eyes as she lunged forward, shoving her lance into Tabitha the sea changeling's heart. Coco opened her eyes. Tabitha, after death, had changed back into her shelled octopus self. Coco looked down at the timer. 1 minute.

Coco grabbed the object, flinging away rocks and coral out of her way as she raced around to find Spike. Then she saw him getting out of the water, having given up. They must be hoping they could speed away or fight them off. Which Coco knew and they all knew was impossible.

Her timer buzzed. 30 seconds.

Coco began to pant as she swam as hard as she could. She could feel herself start to become lighter, but her body felt weird, as though it was changing.

Coco realized that her blood was changing since she was ascending to fast. But she couldn't go slower. She couldn't. No way.

Fifteen seconds. Coco finally broke the surface, water cascading off her helmet. She could see the hippocampi closing in.

Ten seconds. A life raft was throw out. Coco grabbed on while the others pulled.

Five seconds. Coco collapsed ondeck and Roseluck got to the wheel.

Zero.

A sudden gust of wind made the surface of the water shudder. The ship zoomed out of the strait while the strong wind blew, never weakening or ceasing.

Coco turned to see Dinky collapse on the deck, unconscious. She must have summoned the gust. Wow thought Coco. That girl is amazing.

===

Wow. Thought Spike as he realized Dinky had summoned the wind. That girl is amazing.

Spike ran over to his new marefriend. They had made it official last night. No, there had been no "funny business" as Coco had put it. Just some cuddling.

Spike reached her and held her, whispering words into her ears until she woke up. Spike carried her to her room. Dinky collapsed onto the bed, the little strength she had when she became conscious leaving her as she fell onto the bed.

"Spike." she whispered. Spike sat down next to her, holding her. He brought her face to his, and they kissed passionately for several seconds before breaking apart, taking a breath, and plunging back into each other's mouths.

Spike hesitantly worked his tongue into her mouth. Dinky was to tired to fight back, just letting him explore her mouth. When they pulled apart again, Dinky collapsed onto Spike's shoulder. Spike rocked her to sleep before laying her under the covers and kissing her head, before leaving, retiring to his own room.