• Published 10th Aug 2014
  • 915 Views, 41 Comments

Eye of the Hunter - XxXImmortalFoXxX



An ageless fox starts having weird dreams after some odd happenings in the town he resided beside, telling him to track down one known as "Twilight Sparkle".

  • ...
2
 41
 915

Chapter 1

I crouched down in the snow, staring at a moving animal across the stream. It was the middle of the winter, and I was starting to get hungry again. I started slowly moving across the clearing, towards the snow covered bridge. I could have gone across the stream, but slippery surfaces were hard to launch off of. I stayed to the side of the bridge, occasionally peeking over the edge to see if the rabbit was still there.

I peaked around the corner, preparing to dash at the rabbit, who was none the wiser. I heard the door to the cottage creak open, and the yellow pegasus stepped out, calling for Angel, her rabbit. I glanced at the rabbit I had been preying on,who was now dashing towards the door. I turned around and skulked off.

Once in the safety of the woods, I made a promise.

“I swear on the sun, moon, and stars above that thou shalt pay for tricking me again, rabbit!” I yelled to nobody in particular as my form shifted, allowing me easier access to my tree living area.

I curled up on my platform of sticks, wrapping my tail around my face as I drifted to sleep.

“Thou art an interesting specimen.” I heard a voice say as my eyes shot open

I blinked a few times, looking around at the blackness that surrounded me. I spotted the speaker, a dark blue alicorn.

“Who in Tartarus art thou?” I said, locking my gaze with the one in front of me.

“Us? We are no one important, not to thou, at least. Not yet.” She said, “Seek out the one they call ‘Twilight Sparkle’, she will help you.” She said, turning and walking away.

“What reason do I have to trust thee?” I said, sitting down.

“Thou has no reason to. But we presume your curiosity will win this battle.” She said as she vanished into the blackness. My sight faded.

I awoke to the feeling of wetness throughout my fur, along with a cold weight on my body. This led me to believe it had snowed. I cracked my eyes open, a thin layer of snow dropping away from my eyes. I inhaled through my nose, catching the scent of a squirrel, really close. I shifted my head to my side, where a rabbit was curled up against my stomach.

“How… odd.” I said, “Rabbits can’t climb trees.”

I shook my head, the snow falling off and onto the rabbit, which suddenly awoke. It shook the snow off of itself, looking around, just as confused as I was as to how it got up here. Slowly it turned around, catching the scent of its predator. It whipped back around and hopped as far away from me as it could, which led it to the end of the platform I had created from twigs, which was bending under the weight of me, the snow, and the rabbit. My face adopted a sly grin as I stood up, shaking the snow from my fur. One of the chunks of snow flew from my fur and hit the rabbit, knocking it over the edge. I listened in silence, hearing the rabbit squeal loudly.

I peered over the edge of the platform, I spotted the rabbit on the ground, a red spot surrounding it. I turned away and made my way down the bough, into the crook of the tree I had come to call home. I hopped down, my form shifting again as I hit the ground. I could see several green lights in the distance.

“Unfortunate.. No time for ritual.” I said as I bounded towards my late dinner. Stopping over it, I realized it was still breathing, but just barely. I leaned placed a paw on it’s side before leaning down and and clamping my jaw on its throat, applying just enough pressure to hold onto it, and yanking. The rabbit let out a squeal as I gulped down the pieces of its throat and jugular. I glanced up, noting the green lights were quite a bit closer. I picked up the rabbit in my mouth, turning to scramble up the tree, I noticed more green lights. I felt my form shift again as I jumped up onto the crook of the tree, following the bough back onto my platform.

“I thank the sun, moon, and stars for this meal, however late.” I said, looking up past the overhanging trees to the moon. I quickly ate my meal, finishing as the green lights gathered around my home. I risked a glance over the edge of the platform, jumping back as I noted that there was at least seven of them gathered around my home. I was not going to lose another home to these… things. I had a run in with them before, and my house wasn’t the only thing I had lost then. Now that they had me cornered, I had a feeling that my house was the least of my problems.

One of the… things lunged up and onto the crook of the tree, the entrance and exit to my home. For me, at least. I looked around for different ways I could get down. I could jump down, but I would risk injury, like the rabbit. I turned back towards the thing that was making its way up the bough, which was bending under the weight. I heard a crack, and the bough dropped slightly lower.

“Nay, this is not how I shall go out.” I said, backing up before leaping over the thing, landing on the bough behind it as it broke. I tried to backpedal as I continued sliding down the bough, before going over the edge. Two more things were on the other side, blocking any retreat into the forest. The only way out of here was towards the cottage. Maybe the yellow pegasus would let me in. She was always taking care of the other animals. And I was no different. I bolted through the gap, charging towards the cottage door.

I ran across the bridge and up the path. Reaching the door, I risked a glance across the stream, only to find the things had remained across the bridge, and were no longer advancing. I was about to start scratching at the door, before I remembered the last time I saw the things and the ponies.

“Guys, come on! I know a shortcut!” The leading colt said to the other two following him.

The filly and the colt that were following shared an uncertain glance.

“I don’t know, Cheerilee said that we’re never supposed to come in here, even as adults it’s dangerous.” The filly said, stopping.

“Come on! We’ll be in here for 5 minutes, tops. Let’s go!” He said, charging off into the forest.

I watched as the filly and the colt charged after him, and out of curiosity, I decided to follow.

“Come o--Augh!” The leading colt yelled, falling.

“What happened?!” The other two said as they caught up.

“I just stepped on a sharp rock, I’ll be fine” He said, standing up and running off again, albeit a tad slower this time. I chuckled lightly, kid’s got determination, I’ll give him that.

The colt turned to the filly, leaning in and whispering before they heard a blood curdling scream. They both charged off towards the source of the noise, with me in tow. The two of them burst into the clearing, where their friend was being cornered by two of the… Things. I hid in the brush as the two things moved in on their friend, who was hitting them with magical bolts, which were bouncing off.

“HEY!” The filly yelled at the things as they moved closer to her friend. “YOU LEAVE HIM ALONE, YOU BIG MEANIE!” She yelled.

The thing seemed to cower for a moment before turning back to the colt, slashing up his side. The colt in question screamed in pain as the two things toyed with him.

The colt and the filly picked up stones and started throwing them at the things surrounding their friend. One of the things grew tired of this, and turned away as the other one latched onto the dying colts neck and shook him around, the body flying away as the skin and throat separated from the rest of his body.

“STAR!” They both screamed as they watched their friends lifeless body crumple against a tree.

They turned to the more immediate threat, the thing that was advancing on them. They backed themselves up against a tree, before remembering they were pegasi. That would have been funny if it weren’t so sad. The yellow pegasus turned and took flight, the brown one just behind her. As he took off, the thing jumped and slapped its paw against the back of the pegasus, crushing his spine and back legs.

Something in my mind snapped as I leapt out from the brush, running up and slashing the thing, distracting it. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the yellow pegasus trying to lift her friend, who was flapping his wings weakly. Eventually they got a bit of height, and flew off back out the way they came, quite fast for such small beings.

I took that as my cue to leave, turning and hightailing it out through the brush I had entered.

I turned to the door, weighing my choices. The door made my decision for me as it creaked open, and the yellow pegasus stood there with a burning stick held in her wing. I instinctively flinched away from the fire. The pegasus walked past me, waving the flaming stick towards the things. They instinctively flinched away from the flame, similar to myself. She continued moving forward, going to light some open lanterns at the end of the bridge. The things decided I wasn’t worth it, and ran back into the forest.

The yellow pegasus extinguished the flame on a bit of unfrozen water before walking back towards the door. About halfway up the pathway she noticed me, in the corner of her pathway.

“Awww, were those big mean timberwolves after you?” She said in a tone you would talk to a dog with.

“Uh… yes, I suppose they were.” I said, absently sliding my tail side to side on the ground.

She looked taken aback. “You… You can talk!” She said as she shuffled me into the cottage with her wing.

Once inside, I took in the mass amounts of small animals that were in the house. Everything from birds to rabbits and everything in between. I could eat like a king.

“Honey, can you come down here?” I heard the yellow pegasus say. I heard a thump, and another, before somebody’s front hooves appeared on the stairwell. Another thump, the hooves descended a step. There was wheels connected to his back legs, causing the thumps.

“What is it, dear?” He said as he reached the bottom of the stairwell.

“I found a fox.” She said, obviously cheery.

“Yes, you find animals nearly everyday. What’s so special about it?” He said, looking at me.

Meanwhile, I was sitting there, frozen.

‘Tis them! The-The two that were in the forest! This is nigh impossible! This is not...! How did I not realize this mare was her! Stupid! Dummkopf! Nay, maybe the sun, the moon, and the stars have made this to be.

“It can talk!” She said, glancing down at me. “Go on, it’s alright. He’s a friend.”

“I… You can talk to animals, dear, remember?” He said, getting frustrated.

“Yes, I know that. But… He can talk. I promise.” She said.

They stood there in silence for a few moments, before it was broken by the stallion.

“Well, I’m going to bed. I think you should follow suit.” He said, turning around and slowly working his way back up the stairs.

“Dost either of you know a Star?”

Author's Note:

Well, here goes. This marks the beginning. Oh boy. Currently, this takes place at the beginning of season one. Name the animals that were chasing our character! Also, name the two ponies that our character is residing with... for now. If anyone has a solution to the italics glitch, I would appreciate it.