• Published 10th Aug 2014
  • 13,101 Views, 953 Comments

Changeling Mine - Futile Task



One mistake leads to one pony holding the fate of an entire race within her hooves.

  • ...
95
 953
 13,101

Chapter Nine: Broken Mind

“Mommy why are the ponies trying to hurt us, I don’t understand?”

“I don’t know little one, just stay behind me, I’ll keep you…”

Chrysalis shook her head violently to shake the memories, her head pounding from the mental stress the hive mind was putting her under. “Just a little longer,” she thought, “I just need a little more time.”

“All rise for the honorable judge Felt Tip.”

Chrysalis rose to her hooves along with the rest of the room, waiting for the elderly mare to take her seat between Celestia and Luna before sitting down again, and then waiting for her to speak.

“This court has gathered to address the crimes of one Chrysalis, Queen of the changeling hive, who attacked us two months ago during the wedding of our beloved Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, will the defendant please stand.”

Chrysalis once again rose to her hooves, “your honor.”

“RUN ELDER BERRY RUN, I’LL HOLD THEM OFF, JUST RUN…!”

“…have something you wish to say to the court, before charges are levied against you?”

“Yes I do,” said Chrysalis, thanking the stars that she was able to read lips as she suppressed the voices in her head. “I want it known that my changelings should not be held accountable for their actions during the wedding of Princess Cadenza, I am the only one who should be held accountable for those events.”

“And why do you believe that should be the case?”

“Because they were starving, and because of that they became completely devoid of free will and choice, thus making it easy for me to take over their minds using the hive mind. I believe the best way I could put it is if a pony like you were to make somepony due something under the influence of drugs.”

The judge looked baffled, “and are you saying that your changelings would not have gone along with your attack had they not been starving.”

“No they would not; in fact they would have deposed me and waited till I could breed a replacement queen, before ending my responsibilities as focal point for the hive mind and branding me outcast.”

The judge looked surprised, and then leaned back to talk to the princesses, but chrysalis was unable to make out what they were saying do to another memory surfacing within her mind as her head began pounding.

“Just little bit longer Chitter, were almost to the Crystal Empire, just please hold on a little…”

It ebbed quickly, ebbing off in time for Chrysalis to see the judge nodding to the princesses before leaning forward to speak.

“Very well, let the record show that the defendant has taken full responsibility for the actions of her subjects, and that they are not to be held accountable for said actions due to being under mental coercion by their queen.”

She heard the court secretary jotting down the notes, and once again her head began pounding as another memory plagued her.

“PLEASE STOP, WE DIDN’T DO ANYTHING TO YOU, WERE JUST REFUGIES FROM THE BADLANDS SEEKING SHELTER, WE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ATTACK ON CANTERLOT! PLEASE! STOP!"

“Bring forth the char…”

“THEY WERE JUST FOALS, YOU FUCKING MURDERES, THEY WERE JUST FOALS!”

“…Chrysalis, you are charged with kidnapping and impersonating one of Equestria’s royals, controlling the minds of several ponies, attacking…”

“Don’t look children, it will be over soon, just…just keep your eyes closed and don’t look…”

It finally became too much for her to try and repress, and with a flash green light and the sound of splintering bone, she began to fall, and the last thing she saw was Celestia leaping toward her with a letter clutched in her magical grasp, screaming her name as she fell into darkness.

Author's Note:

Very short I know, but honestly I had no more ideas for this part of the story. Next up, the confrontation between Shining's forces and Castle Twilight will begin, and we will learn of the fate of our dear changeling queen. As always, I hope you all enjoyed the chapter, and if you guys have any questions or comments, please feel free to drop them on by, you all know I love hearing from you guys.