• Published 10th Aug 2014
  • 13,118 Views, 953 Comments

Changeling Mine - Futile Task



One mistake leads to one pony holding the fate of an entire race within her hooves.

  • ...
95
 953
 13,118

Chapter Twenty Seven: A Dark Most Foul

Clover sighed as she closed the mirror which she had been using to spy on Starlight, the meeting between her prized pupil and her real parents making the mare feel old for the first time in a thousand years.

She remembered finding Starlight there, the foal that shouldn't have been, the foal that had ruined all of her plans, and the foal who turned her whole world upside down.

When she had touch her, her inner eye had opened, revealing to her the foals future, and where she needed to be. Of course, she would be tied into prophecy, and of course that meant she would have to take her, but that didn't mean it didn't hurt her all the more, especially when her parents had show up, forcing her to act the way she did.

“So much harm was done that day...both to the child....and to her mother.....”

She was startled out of her memories by a calm knocking on the door, Clover opening it with magic to find Twilight standing there, the mare looking a little startled as Clover gestured to her with a wing.

“It's good to see you my daughter, I had honestly expected to have to wait longer before seeing you.”

“My....my parents said I should try to get to know you, seeing as they are in the process of getting to know their....their real daughter.”

“....I am sorry my baby, I wish their could have been another way....I just...things had to happen this way.”

Twilight's eyes darkened at that, the mare beginning to shake as she looked toward Clover and spoke. “Had to happen, what do you mean it had to happen, what possible reason could you have had that warranted you leaving me with ponies YOU DIDN'T EVEN KNOW!”

Clover sighed, then gestured to her flank, Twilight seeing a cutie mark the likes of which she had never seen before, a all seeing eye upon a book which was surrounded by a mass of tendrils.

“My talent, as well as my title as an alicorn is Fate and Knowledge. When I gained this talent, my mind was flooded with all the knowledge of our world, old and new alike, and it still gets filled occasionally as new knowledge is discovered. As for the Fate aspect of my talent, anypony I touch I can glean their future, all possible futures, which can be very very tiring sometimes.”

“When...when I was giving birth to you, I was flooded with all your possible futures, and during that time, I...I made a choice. I began sorting through them, trying to pick out the best one which I felt would give you the brightest future. And this one, the one we are living right now, was the best one I could find, for it was the only one who gave you control over magic itself, which allowed you to claim your birthright as the element of magic.”

“Then why didn't you just reveal to the princesses that you were alive, why didn't you stay and raise me yourself?”

“Because it would ruin everything,” said Clover, “I have been in hiding because I cannot trust my nieces to help me in the endeavor I am preparing to combat, they would only get in the way. There is something bad coming, something I can't tell you about now, but I have to prepare for, because when it gets here neither you, your friends nor the princesses will be able to stand against it.”

“.....what do you mean something is coming?”

Clover cursed, “I told you I can't tell you about it, but I will have it handled....”

“NO!” yelled Twilight, her voice booming as she advanced on Clover. “You are going to tell me of this threat to Equestria or I swear, by all that is holy in Equestria I will never speak to you again as long as I live, and I'm an alicorn now, so you think carefully before you speak again.”

Clover stood there for a long while, then sighed in exasperation before glaring at her and speaking. “You may one day regret pushing this issue my daughter, but I will tell you, for I do not wish to be separated from you any longer. The foe I am preparing to face is named Grogar, an old and powerful entity from our world's past that attempted long ago to take over Equestria. The Princesses, even with the power of the elements, nearly died when he tried to usurp Equestria from them, and he has only grown more powerful since he was banished from our lands. I have a plan in the works, but if the princesses found out they would try and interfere, hell they're going to try interfering anyway when they find out who your father is.”

“And who is my father?”

“That I can't tell you, you will just have to wait till Cadance returns from my home to learn who he is...though I can tell you this, you definitely get your thirst for knowledge from him.”

“No, that's not good enough...I'll be coming....”

“NO!!!”

The castle shook with the force of Clover's yell, Twilight stumbling a bit as the larger mare moved toward her and spoke. “That place would kill the baby growing in your womb my child, for your fathers magic is running wild there, and it would kill your baby regardless of what kind of protections you put in place or the blood that runs through her veins. You must wait till he...he is ready to see you...till then you must trust that Cadance will tell you who he is.”

Twilight hesitated, then sighed, deciding that that was a battle she did not want to fight. “Very well, then let me ask my next question. Was I born an alicorn?”

Clover didn't even hesitate, “no my daughter, you were not born an alicorn, you were born a unicorn. It was one of the other reasons I had to take you away, for your father was greatly upset by this, and he tried to....well, he tried to fix you.”

“Fix me?”

“Yes,” said Clover, “but I could not let him do that, for it would have killed you, but he was not in his right mind at the time, much like he wasn't in his right mind when he attempted to speak to you through your mind.”

“You mean when he rendered me unconscious.”

Clover nodded, “He forgot that we had sent you away, and when he was unable to find you he began to panic, so he tried to reach you the easiest way he knew how, forgetting that you were not yet ready to hear his voice. Tell me child, do you....remember anything he said?”

Twilight shook her head, “All I can remember was a lot of loud shouting in an old draconian dialect, but it was too loud, and to garbled to make anything of it.”

“I see,” said Clover, but before she could say more the door behind them opened, and a changeling walked in, looking a bit scared as it spoke.

“Lady Clover, Princess Cadance has arrived, and she wishes to head off at once.”

“I see, tell her I will meet her at the castle door shortly, I first have to say goodbye to my daughter.”

The Changeling left, leaving Clover to turn to Twilight and speak. “I will be back soon, for I will need to speak with Celestia and Luna once Cadance speaks to them, but after that I would like to speak with you more, if you wish it.”

“We'll see,” said Twilight.

Clover nodded, and then she teleported away, leaving Twilight alone with her thoughts, till she too left, leaving to speak with Celestia about what she had learned.

*

“Take it easy Celestia, calm, steady breaths, like I'm doing.”

Twilight couldn't believe her eyes, for the sight before her was too ridicules and frightening to contemplate. She had arrived in the chambers Celestia and Anthra now shared, and she had begun telling them what Clover had told her, but the moment Grogar's name had come up Celestia had flown into a panic attack, hyperventilating and struggling to breath as Antrha tried to calm her down.

It took her a while, but finally she managed to get Celestia breathing normally, Anthra keeping her under a wing as she looked to Twilight and spoke. “Twilight, are you sure this is the name you heard, are you sure she said Grogar?”

Twilight nodded, “yes, she seemed pretty sure about it herself, but....but how can this not have been mentioned in the history books.”

“Because we whipped his name from all historical record,” Said Celestia, slipping into the royal we due to her agitated nerves. “We tracked down every entity who had ever seen him and whipped their memories, we found every monument and statue dedicated to him and tore them down, and we burned every single book that even mentioned his name.....we did horrible things to make sure no one would remember him, especially our little ponies!”

Twilight dawned a look of horror, but it seemed Celestia wasn't finished speaking.

“When Luna found out, she....she flew into a rage, attacking me and visiting upon us pain she felt equal to the damage she believed we caused to the world, left us broken and bloodied, and then she urinated upon us for good measure.”

“It still angers me that you allowed that to happen,” said Anthra.

“It was her right,” said Celestia, “I did horrible things, all to hurt him, to remove his power.....but now he's coming back....”

“Be still beloved,” said Anthra, “he cannot hurt you!”

“He can and he will,” said Celestia, “we nearly died during that last encounter, mine sister and I. We cannot live through that again.....we cannot....”

Before she could go further, Anthra decided enough was enough, placing her under a powerful sleep spell and moving her to the bed before glaring at Twilight and speaking. “You should leave now Twilight, you will do no good here.”

Twilight hesitated a moment, then vanished, leaving Anthra alone with her mate, the former queen thanking the gods above and bellow that she had left then, allowing her face to fall as she looked back at Celestia with worry.

For no matter how much she would reassure her in the future, if Grogar was truly returning, then there was truly no hope....for any of them.

Author's Note:

Whew, done.....now onto the next chapter.