• Published 23rd Apr 2012
  • 3,344 Views, 62 Comments

In Service of the Dread Father - Wandering Axioms



Shadowmere finds himself in the world of Equestria

  • ...
5
 62
 3,344

Introductions Are In Order

Ponyville hospital:

Twilight and Fluttershy stood by Applejack’s bed. Rarity and Rainbow Dash already explained what had happened the previous night; the Crusaders, the manticore, and the mysterious colt who had saved them.

Nurse Redheart explained that AJ’s ribs weren’t broken, just bruised, but it would be best that she take it easy for a few days. “You sure gave us a scare, AJ,” Twilight laughed.

Applejack waved a hoof and smiled. “It’s no worry, sugarcube. I just feel kinda bad for not properly thankin’ that pony for helping us...” She shivered at the thought of what he did to the manticore. “I never even got his name.”

Twilight looked down at the floor as she remembered the graphic details of AJ’s account of the black stallion fighting the beast. Fluttershy felt tears about to well up at the thought of the poor manticore, but she realized that Applejack may not be in this hospital bed were it not for the colt’s actions.

“Um, do you think that we should...maybe go out to the forest and thank him?” The timid pegasus asked.

“That’s actually a great idea, Fluttershy!” Twilight exclaimed.

“You girls go on ahead,” Applejack smiled. “I’ll stay here and rest for a bit more; the nurse said I could be back home by the afternoon.”

“Sure thing, AJ!” Twilight and Fluttershy bade goodbye to their Earth pony friend and left her to rest.

---

Third day.

It was expected that the ponies would try to search me out. So, I decided to make it easier for them, and sit out by the edge of the forest. I lazily overlooked the town of Ponyville, patiently waiting for them to find me.

Sure enough, I turned my head to see a lavender colored unicorn with a purple colored mane approaching me. A small smile creased her face. “Hello!” She happily greeted me. Her smile lowered slightly, seeing my blank expression. She remained silent, waiting for me to acknowledge her. I nodded in her direction, and apparently she took this as an invitation to come closer.

“My friend, Fluttershy and I just wanted to thank you for helping our friend Applejack! So...thanks!” The smile returned to her face.

I was confused about who was Fluttershy; this pony came alone. “I’m sorry...” I say. “You and who?”

She looks at me confused. “Me and Fluttershy!” She pointed a hoof to her right; there was nothing there. She examined my still confused face. Looking to where she was pointing, she gasped in surprise. “Fluttershy?” She asked looking to her left and then behind her. She faced me and groaned as she brought a hoof to her face. “She must’ve gotten scared and run off...”

“At any rate,” I say standing up, which startles the unicorn. “You’re welcome; but it’s not like they couldn’t have taken the manticore by themselves.” I turn to walk away.

“Wait!” I hear her call after me. I must’ve looked as though I was about to snap, as her ears drooped to the sides of her head. “M-my name is Twilight Sparkle, may I at least have yours?”

I shake my head in frustration and continue walking. After a brief moment, I turn and call back to her. “Shadowmere...”

She looked up. “I-I’m sorry?”

“You asked for my name, right? Well, there you have it.” I turn around to walk away. I hear her repeat my name several times.

---

That one name still echoed in her mind: “Shadowmere.” It certainly did fit. That colt’s blood red eyes, while very intimidating, made him almost painfully obvious in an entirely green environment.

“He must have been the pony that Princess Celestia was talking about in her letter,” Twilight said to herself as she entered her tree home. “He was certainly eccentric, but if he saved AJ and the others, then he couldn’t be that bad...right?” She gazed up towards the dark clouds gathering above Ponyville. Seems the weather team had a storm scheduled for the afternoon.

She gazed back towards the direction of the forest. “Does he even have proper shelter?” She thinks to herself right when she feels a droplet of water make contact with the top of her mane. She sighed as she trotted into her library, right when the light rain turned into a downpour.

---

Late afternoon: cave dwelling.

I actually always enjoyed the rain; it always added a sense of...drama. I reminisce on the days of earlier Listeners, during the golden age of the Dark Brotherhood.

I remember one Argonian Listener by the name of Scar-Tail and I were one stormy evening, chasing some Imperial nobleman through the streets of Chorrol. The nobleman actually had the insolence to try and bribe the Listener; but of course, no amount of gold stays the hand of the Listener. Sithis demands blood, and blood must be paid.

The rain was pouring that night much like today. Scar-Tail and I pursued the Imperial through the northern district of the city, he made any turn he could to try and escape us. Scar-Tail had to leave me behind as he chased the Imperial through one of the back alleys. I could still hear what was happening however, and from what I knew of the city’s layout, that alley would lead the two of them right into the back door of...an orphanage. I’m not certain how the fire started so quickly, or how many of the children got out, but the entire building was burned to the ground. Scar-Tail assured that it was an accident. At any rate, the Imperial (along with several orphaned children) now inhabit a shallow grave, marked by the burned out skeleton of an orphanage.

I find myself laughing almost hysterically amidst the fond memories, decades old. Afternoon gives way to evening; oddly I decide to turn in early.

Memories; less pleasant, flood my dreams.

---

Fourth day.

I awoke early this morning. I set out immediately for Ponyville; mainly wishing to learn as much as possible about these ponies, but part of me also demanded that I should meet Applejack, the one who was injured, and at least exchange pleasantries.

It was on the dirt path however that I ran into Twilight Sparkle; the unicorn I had encountered the day before. She greeted me with the same warm smile. “Oh, hello...Shadowmere was it?”

I nod.

She gazes around nervously trying to think of something to say. “Soooo...” she smiles awkwardly. “Uh, do you have somewhere to stay? You didn’t just sleep out here in the rain last night, did you?”

I grunt. “A cave in the Everfree forest sufficed.”

I heard her gasp. “But, the forest is dangerous! Didn’t you learn from the manticore the other night?”

“Didn’t you learn from your friend that I can handle myself?” I shot back. She recoiled.

“Well, there’s no need to be so rude...”

“Please,” I scoff. “Where I come from, I’m considered polite.”

“Well, where do you come from?” She inquires.

I was taken slightly off guard by this question. What could I say? Not the Void, or that I was an ethereal being. I blurt out the first thing that comes to mind. “A land named Tamriel.”

She looks at me with sudden interest. “I’ve never heard of that place before...care to tell anything about it?”

I groan. “Later, alright?”

A period of silence follows. “So, would you like to meet some of the other ponies around town?”

I again wanted to say no; but I consider it. “Very well, lead the way.” After all, introductions are in order.

---

First we came to what was apparently the hospital. Twilight told me that Applejack would be getting out later that afternoon. Luck would have it however, as the nurse and Twilight were arguing, the nurse demanding to know who I was for ‘safety reasons,’ the orange pony, Applejack trotted proudly into the reception center, sporting white bandages around her torso and the same odd looking hat she was wearing when I met her.

She stopped at the sight of me. That familiar essence of fear returned to her eyes. I cast a confused stare at her. Twilight broke from her conversation with the nurse to speak with her. “Oh, AJ! I didn’t think they’d let you out this early!” She exclaims with a wide, closed eye smile.

Applejack shook herself out of her staring contest with me. “Oh...uh, hey there Twilight,” she nervously laughs, obviously trying to avoid eye contact with me for some reason.

“AJ, this is Shadowmere, he’s the one who helped you and the others out the other night.” Twilight explained, a hint of disappointment in her voice at her friend’s bashfulness.

“Oh, that’s right!” Applejack looks back at me and sheepishly smiled. I nod to her in response. This seems to calm her down somewhat. “So, uh, howdy there, partner, I’m Applejack...sorry for not recognizing ya at first.” She paused, possibly waiting for me to respond. When I remained silent, she laughed nervously and extended a hoof as if offering a handshake...or hoofshake rather.

I forced a smile and accepted the friendly gesture. This seemed to calm her down. “It’s a pleasure,” I hear myself say.

She smiled back. “Likewise, partner! I never got to thank you properly for saving my hide, and those of my friends and sister.” I felt my smile die down as we stopped shaking.

“You’re welcome,” I reply simply.

“Not much of a talker, huh?” She laughed and waved a hoof after I raised an eyebrow at this question. “That’s alright, our own Pinkie Pie is enough of a chatterbox.” I nod and turn to Twilight.

“I was going to introduce him to the others as well,” Twilight said.

“That’s alright,” Applejack said. “I wanted to get back to the farm; Granny Smith and Big Mac must be worried sick.”

“Sure thing, AJ, just take it easy on that injury of yours...”

---

Our next introduction is the Rainbow mane pegasus; appropriately named Rainbow Dash. On the way to her house, I asked Twilight about the large mass of clouds on the horizon, and she replied by saying that it was the city of Cloudsdale.

The name fits I suppose, but a city made of clouds? This world becomes more and more the stuff of lucid dreams with every passing moment. She also explains how only pegasi can walk on clouds and that the reason for moving and dispersing clouds is for “weather control...” I have no comment on that...

Apparently, the cyan pegasus lived away from Cloudsdale in her own cloud mansion. The way the clouds seemed to have been sculpted out reminded me of the old Ayleid ruins I’ve encountered in Cyrodiil...odd.

While I was taking in the architecture, Twilight had called to her obnoxious pegasus friend. The next thing I knew, that blue blur was hovering above us, looking down on me with an anxious smile.

“Rainbow, this is Shadowmere,” Twilight introduced. “He’s the pony who helped you girls out with the manticore the other night.”

Rainbow Dash landed in front of me and extended a hoof. “I thought I recognized ya,” she said with a smug smile. I went to return the gesture like I did with Applejack, but Rainbow suddenly brought her hoof to her face, and with a disgusting hocking noise, spat right into her hoof and extended her hoof back to me.

Twilight laughed as she must’ve noticed the look on my face. I was disgusted by this pegasus’ sheer insolence, I felt angry, confused; I wanted to strike her. I wanted to grab her, shake her, and scream in her face: “Do you know who you’re dealing with you impudent little worm!? I am a servant of the Dread Father Sithis!”

Of course, they probably have no clue who the Dread Father is...She apparently fails to see the anger in my eyes, as she still had that smug little smirk on her face.

To my further surprise, I feel myself doing the same vulgar thing she did with my hoof. I spat in it, extend it, and press it into hers. I barely suppressed a shudder as both of our saliva mixed as our hooves met. I wanted to strike myself for what I just did...Rainbow Dash went on about being the fastest flier in Equestria, something about “Wonderbolts,” or something along those lines...she didn't even thank me for helping her the other night. When Twilight and I departed, I still felt more surprised by my reception of Rainbow’s childish act than the act itself...

---

Twilight explained that our next stop was the Carousel Boutique, a clothing store that was owned by a unicorn by the name of Rarity. It was the same tower from which I had recovered the broken mirror...

I recognize Rarity as the snow white colored unicorn with the purple mane I had seen on my first morning here in Equestria (odd, I find the name easier to say now.) She greeted us with a formal bow, and invited us inside. I have to admit, the garments she had produced were rather admirable, and I’m not even that into clothing.

“Rarity, this is Shadowmere,”

“Ah, of course darling,” Rarity replied. Her Bretonic accent reminded me so much of Listener Raynier...she approached me with a smile. “Good afternoon to you, my dear colt. I must thank you for the night you assisted me and my friends in saving our younger siblings.”

I found it easier to smile to her. “It was no trouble,” I say to her. “It seems you have quite a thing for fashion?” I ask gazing around at the garments on pony mannequins.

“Indeed I do; I’m the best fashionista in Ponyville as someponies say. Some say I’m the best in Equestria,” she blushed. “But I wouldn’t go that far.”

Shaking myself out of the trance that her voice had caught me in, I tell her a few details about myself, mostly just what little I told Twilight.

Twilight and I bade farewell to Rarity after a few more moments of idle conversation, mainly because she had more orders to fill out for the evening; we left her to her work.

I wonder if I should return the mirror?

---

I stood outside a familiar bakery where I was first spotted by the pink pony. According to Twilight, she was the one she wanted to introduce me to. Pinkie Pie, her name was. I refuse to comment on that name.

Apparently, she wasn’t at said bakery, which was unusual for her; at least that’s what Twilight said. She decides to introduce me to Fluttershy instead; the one who refused to accompany Twilight to find me.

The sun was beginning to set when we reached the cottage on the northern edge of Ponyville. Apparently the yellow pegasus that lived here was Fluttershy. The cottage seemed to blend in with the nature around it.

Twilight knocked on the front door, and after a moment of silence, it creaked open slightly, revealing two bright, turquoise colored eyes. “Oh, h-hello there Twilight, sorry for not coming out, but, um...I don’t know how to introduce myself to...um, what’s his name again?”

“Shadowmere,” Twilight replied with a sad expression. “Oh, Fluttershy, please come out! He’s not dangerous...he’s a little grumpy if you catch him at a bad time...” she looked back at me. “But, he’s really not that bad!”

The pegasus sighed and opened the door. “If you say so, Twilight. But I really don’t know how to even--” Fluttershy emitted a high pitched “eep!” when we made eye contact. She made an attempt to retreat back into her abode, only to be stopped by Twilight pulling the door shut with her levitation, causing Fluttershy to slam head first into it. While initially I thought it was funny, I soon felt empathy for the poor thing.

Wait...empathy?

“Uh, hello Fluttershy,” I say to the timid pegasus. “My name is Shadowmere...it seems you’re very into animal keeping?” I inquire looking around at the various small animals scattered about the garden. One small rabbit in particular was giving me this hateful look. I returned the stare, tenfold, causing the damn thing to retreat into the bushes.

I turn my attention back to Fluttershy. “Oh yes, I take it upon myself to care for all the little animals in town,” she says to me. She seems more comfortable talking about a familiar subject. “What about you, S-Shadowmere?” She asks suddenly.

I feel my ears perk up.

“Would you like to share with us what you do? And where is your cutie mark?”

That second question caught me severely off guard. “Cutie what?” I ask.

“Good question, Fluttershy,” Twilight says as I sense her examining both of my...flanks. “Say, Shadowmere, you don’t have your cutie mark yet...how old are you?”

I gulp at this question. Well what’s the average age for a pony to get this...cutie mark? For that matter how old was I anyways? Not even I knew the true answer for this. If this truly was unusual for a pony who was as old as I looked...

“I, uh...don’t know...” I shamefully utter.

Twilight cocks her head while Fluttershy looks on with a sudden sadness.

“You don’t know? But how can that be?”

“Oh, you poor thing, this must be so embarrassing for you!” It’s at this point I notice what they’re referring to: the odd markings on their flanks. They explain that they represented their special talent: like Fluttershy cared for animals, and her cutie mark was that of three butterflies or Twilight was a magic student, and her mark was that of several pointed stars.

Apparently, being my age (around 18 or 19 as they described it) and not having a cutie mark is a subject for extreme ridicule here in Equestria.

I would still be thinking about what they told me now, as I make my way back to my cave dwelling, were it not for the unknown pink creature that was restlessly pursuing me...for pink, she hides herself really well.