• Published 9th Aug 2014
  • 2,238 Views, 22 Comments

Country Gems - Nightlock106



Apple Bloom has feelings for her friend, Sweetie Belle, but doesn't really know what to do about them. She turns to family for help and soon finds her special somepony.

  • ...
8
 22
 2,238

Sisterly Advice

It didn't take us long before we were finished harvesting in the fields. I wiped the sweat of my brow and sat down on the front porch steps, staring up at the sunset. It had been years since I've seen a sunset this beautiful before, the colors were more vibrant than they had ever been before, and the sun's warm glow was enough to lift anypony's spirits. I sighed with happiness, thinking about one day watching the sunset with Sweetie Belle, if she was into that kind of thing.

My thoughts were soon interrupted by my sister sitting down beside me, "That sure was a lot of apples today, huh sis?"

I looked over at her, sweat dripping down her face and onto the ground below, "It sure was, I don't think I've ever been this tired before."

"Me either, and I've been doing this longer than you've been alive," she let out a soft giggle and put her hoof around my shoulders and pulled me closer to her.

"So, Applejack, do you think you can give me that advise now?" I asked nervously, feeling another one of my famous blushes coming across my face. I seemed to have been doing more blushing today than I think I have in my whole life.

Applejack smiled and let me loose from her embrace, "Let's go inside and talk, you know how Granny Smith likes to have some quiet time every now and then. Isn't that right Granny?" Applejack looked over at Granny, who had fallen asleep in her rocking chair, "Uh...Granny?"

Granny woke up and looked around for a moment and then looked at me and Applejack, "Oh, it's you two. I thought one of them rattlers came back to get me. How about you two sweeties head on inside, I'll be in in a little bit."

"Sure thing Granny, come on Apple Bloom, let's go to my room," Applejack got up from her seat and helped me to my feet and we walked inside.

We started walking up the stairs, only to be stopped by Big Mac, "Hey Applejack, do you think you can help me in the kitchen for a moment?"

"Did the sink get clogged again?"

"Eeyup."

Applejack sighed and shook her head, "That's the third time this week. I keep telling you not to dump used cooking oil down the drain, or else this would keep happening."

Big Mac just rolled his eyes at her, "Either way, I just need you to hold the flashlight for me for a few minutes.

"Fine," Applejack turned around to face me, "Apple Bloom, go wait in my room and I'll be in there in a bit."

"Okay," I finished walking up the stairs and went into Applejack's room.

I sat down on Applejack's bed and stared out the window. I always loved looking out the window of my sister's room, it had a much better view of the orchard than mine. I stared at the cascading hillsides lined with hundreds and hundreds of apple trees, letting my mind wonder carelessly with thoughts of Sweetie Belle. I thought about me and her running around the trees, playfully chasing each other; one of us pretending to be a monster, the other a damsel in distress. I thought about me "accidentally" tripping and falling flat on my face in "defeat", Sweetie Belle laying down next to me, both of us laughing together at my "clumsyness". Then I would wrap my hoof around her shoulders, lean in close to her face, and plant a gentle kiss on her cheek. My heart melted at the thought, and my body was sent into a warmth of happiness and bliss.

"Apple Bloom?"

"Sweetie Belle, I love you!"

"Apple Bloom?"

"Shh...You don't have to say anything."

"APPLE BLOOM!!"

I snapped back into reality and looked around the room, my sister standing in the door frame, "Oh, uh, hey Applejack."

Applejack shook her head and sat next to me on her bed, "I leave you alone for a few minutes and you start romancing my pillow."

I looked in my hooves and finally noticed that I was holding her pillow, I quickly hid it behind my back and giggled, "I-I guess my feelings are stronger than I thought."

Applejack smiled and sat me on her lap, "Don't worry about it Apple Bloom, I know how you feel."

"You do?"

"Of course, I've had my fair share of schoolyard crushes when I was your age."

"Really?"

"Sure did, though the one that stood out the most was Nova. He was every girl's dream, good looks, extreme smarts, and a personality that everypony would love. I remember being so madly in love with him that I nearly drove myself insane trying to woo him. Luckily for me, he found me to be quiet the charming young filly and even asked me to the Spring Festival that the school was hosting."

"Then what happened?" I excitedly laid myself on her lap staring up at her.

"Well, he and I went to the festival. We played some carnival games, he won me this really cute bear in a game of ring toss, and we finished off the night with a romantic ride on the Ferris Wheel. The ride stopped at the top, and we were overlooking all of Ponyville. I will admit that I was a bit scared of heights back then. I wrapped my hooves around him shaking like a leaf on a tree. He looked down at me and smiled, he told me that there was nothing to be afraid of that I was safe with him. I looked into his warming blue eyes, knowing full well he wasn't lying. I leaned in, our muzzles inching closer until finally, we shared our first kiss."

"Sounds exciting, did anything else happen?"

Applejack began to blush deeply and waved her hoof, "Let's save that for another time. So, who do you have a crush on Apple Bloom?"

My blush returned yet again and I nervously turned my head, "S-Sweetie Belle."

"And you're having trouble with telling her how you feel?"

I nodded slowly, "I've never really felt this way before. I have no idea how to tell her, I don't even know if she's a filly-fooler of not."

Applejack put her hoof on her chin and then looked down at me, "Apple Bloom, listen, you don't have to worry yourself to death over this. All you have to do is be yourself and tell her straight up how you feel. The worst thing that could happen is that she says no."

"A-Are you sure?"

"I'm sure. There's nothing wrong with how you feel, you just need to have more confidence in yourself."

"O-Okay," I sat up and smiled at her, "Thank you Applejack, I don't know what I'd do without you."

Applejack's smile widened and she gave me a hug, "You're my little sis, it's my job to help you with anything you need. Now, it's getting late. Go and get yourself ready for bed, tomorrow we're going to be making the Hearts and Hooves day apple bites."

She let me go and I ran off to my room and quickly got ready for bed. I didn't know if it was the excitement of making the apple bites in the morning, or the advice Applejack gave me, but somehow, I felt a lot better about everything. I laid my head against my pillow and quickly let sleep whisk me away in it's gentle embrace.