• Published 6th Feb 2015
  • 8,345 Views, 781 Comments

The Wonderful Life of Ford Mustang - RoyalRainbow



Shortly after their wedding, Ford Mustang and Rainbow Dash have already made plans to have their first foal together. But when he starts to receive terrible visions about his pregnant wife, can he find a way to prevent them from ever coming true?

  • ...
95
 781
 8,345

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 5 – Dinner for Two

Chapter 5 – Dinner for Two

Nine Months Remaining…
~ Late of September (8th Week) ~

For the next month, Rainbow Dash has been enjoying the easy life with her extensive break on her maternity leave, thanks to one of the many benefits of being a Wonderbolt. She gets to sleep as long as want, spend as much time with her friends, and more importantly, be in the company of her ever devoted husband.

But despite having as much free time as she wants, this afternoon is incredibly boring today. She doesn’t feel like taking a nap as of now since she had plenty of sleep in the past month. She can’t recall any one of her friends that she needs to visit right now. And to her slight disappointment, Ford Mustang is out of town helping out the weatherponies when they are in desperate need for volunteers. Normally, she would happily assist the weather team as well, but she and Ford both know that she didn’t want to do any strenuous to herself, especially when she is pregnant by two months at this point.

So as of now, she’s just lying on the fluffy couch as she is waiting out the time until her husband comes back home. Normally, she would read a book in the meantime, and there are plenty of choices to choose from. But to her surprise, she’s not in a mood for any “Daring Do” books. And as for the baby and parenting books they rented from the Golden Oaks Library, she would usually read them alongside Ford so they can interpret the context together. So without him around, reading these kind of books seem like a chore to her.

“Gah! I never thought I would say this, but lounging around is SO boring!” she grips out loud. “And it sucks even more so without Mustang keeping me company!”

While the impatient mare lies back on the couch, her loyal pet, Tank, hovers above her with the use of his magic-propelled helicopter rotor that’s strapped to his shell before he gently lands on top of Rainbow’s slight baby bump. Once she notices the tortoise’s presence, she breaks into an amusing smile before she kindly pats him on the head.

“Well at least I still have you, Tank.”

After receiving a soft croak of appreciation from the smiling tortoise, Rainbow reclines on her couch to stare at the ceiling as she muses to herself, “There’s gotta be something I can do in the meantime. But what?”

Looking for someway to help his owner, Tank steadily bends his long neck to look around and his beady eyes lock on to the bookshelf nearby. With Rainbow Dash distracted, Tank hovers off of his cushy spot to fly toward the books before he slowly grabs one with his strong jaws and pulls it off its shelf. With the book firmly secured, he hovers back to Rainbow and lands softly on her furry belly.

“Whatcha got there, buddy?” she asks once the tortoise gets her attention.

Using her hooves, she grabs the book from her devoted pet and reads the cover for herself while reminiscing with a smile, “Hey, look at that. This is the cookbook that Fluttershy gave me for my birthday last year. Heh, I rarely had a chance to try these recipes myself.”

Then, a stroke of genius enters her mind before she gasps with a huge smile, “Wait, that’s it! Tank, you’re a genius!” she compliments him while rewarding him with some nose rubbing before going over her plan with an extensive grin. “While Mustang is away, I can take charge of tonight’s dinner! Granted, I haven’t touched the stove in a very long time… but that doesn’t mean I’ve lost my touch when it comes to cooking! Heck yeah! This will be my perfect chance to show off my awesome cooking skills!”

Highly motivated by this idea, she opens the cookbook while musing to herself, “Now what to choose…?”

After looking through several pages under the “entrée” section, she stops at one page and smiles with approval, “Hey, this looks good enough. ‘Sautéed Asparagus, Onions, and Peppers.’ Yeah, this should definitely be a cinch.” But after making her first choice, she displays a blank expression while pondering to herself, “But I should definitely add something more hardcore in return. Something that will really blow Ford’s mind with pure awesomeness!”

With a couple more turn of the pages, she ends up in the “dessert” section until she stops on a picture of a fluffy-looking treat. The unique dessert is labeled as an “Orange Soufflé”, and after skimming through its ingredients and directions, Rainbow Dash breaks into her trademark grin.

“Yeah, now that’s I’m talking about! This soufflé will do just nicely!”

----------------------------------------------------------------

With a plan in motion, she first starts with the soufflé since it’s the harder of the two recipes for tonight’s meal. Granted, there are a few problems along the way, such as separating the eggs’ yolks and whites, deciding on when the sauce reaches its proper boiling point before adding the orange zest and liqueur, or beating the egg whites and remaining ingredients well enough until its peaks look stiff enough from the foam-like batter. Nevertheless, she is relieved that she manages to press forward and got the complex dessert ready for baking before pouring it into two small baking dishes and sliding it into the preheated oven.

After setting a timer for the soufflé, she works on the veggies for the medley dish next. Simply enough, all she needs to do is chop the onions and bell peppers into their proper slices. From completing her latest task, she looks back at the timer. To her surprise and satisfaction, a few minutes have passed since she putted the soufflé dishes in the oven. There is roughly 15 minutes left until it’s ready.

Whew! Cooking sure does take a lot of out of you!” She says with a tired smile while wiping her forehead. Then, she lets out a big yawn before adding, “Maybe a quick nap will do during my break.”

Happy from reuniting with her cloudy sofa, she gets really comfortable on her plushy couch before her dreary eyelids start to become heavy as they steadily close them shut.

----------------------------------------------------------------

“Oh yeah, Ford… that’s it! Lick Me! Lick me all over!”

While talking in her brief sleep, she broadens with a smile as her face is being licked by her supposed husband. From those numerous licks, she starts to open her eyes, but is shocked to see that isn’t Ford providing the unusual affection; it is Tank instead as he continues his slow and steady licks on her face. From finally realizing this, Rainbow wakes up immediately as she gags repeatedly from those sloppy, wet kisses.

“T-Tank?! What the heck?!”

From that outlandish awakening, her ears pick up on a loud, ringing sound that is coming form the kitchen. And not only that, but her nose detects a strange, burning smell with a hint of sweet citrus. Following up with the indication of her senses, she promptly rises from her couch and hastily heads to the kitchen.

“Oh crap! The soufflés!” she screeches in alarm as she opens the oven where some thick smoke vents from within. With a pot holder in-between her teeth, she grips the hot metal sheet tray that holds her two soufflé dishes with her protected mouth. Once she places the tray on a cooling rack, she gets a better look at her dessert. All she could see from the top is their surfaces, which is charred in an ugly, orange-brown color.

“Well, it can’t be that bad on the inside, right?” she reassures herself in an awkward chuckle, but her sense of humor isn’t enough to prevent a painful wince from escaping her lips.

Leaving her finished desserts aside to cool off, she directs attention to her main course. After turning the stove on, she places the large pan on the heating eye and gets her chopped vegetables and spices ready.

While she is preparing her next dish, Tank looks out a window and notices a familiar Pegasus out in the far distance. Alarmed by this, the magically propelled tortoise rushes back to the pre-occupied Rainbow Dash and pulls her rainbow-colored mane to direct her to the window he was looking through.

“Ow! Tank! What are you doing?!” she scowls him as he leads her away from the stove. “I’ve got important stuff to do right now!”

But once she glances through the nearby window, her enlarged eyes freeze in shock and horror as she sees Ford Mustang heading on home from completing his services today.

“It’s Ford! He’s coming home real soon!” she dreads immensely in a trembling voice. “B-b-but I haven’t completed my surprised dinner just yet! Quick, Tank! You’ve got to distract him for me!”

Following the command of his owner, Tank swiftly heads out of the door as Rainbow retreats back to the kitchen. Once she is facing the stove, she contemplates on how to speed things up for her vegetable medley dish.

“Okay, it’s cool, Rainbow.” she calms herself down. “I’ll just turn this up a notch, and dinner will be done in record time.” And renewed with a confident grin from her improvisation, she turns the stove’s dial to heat up the selected eye to a higher degree of temperature before she places the veggies onto the heated pan.

Outside, Ford is get to close to his beloved cloudhouse in the sky before the surprisingly speedy tortoise charges head-on and rams him upon impact. After recovering from that surprise tackle, he is then greeted with leisurely licks from his pet.

“Oh hey, Tank! Good to see you too!” he responds with a giggling smile as he continues to receive long licks from the tortoise. “Okay okay… down boy! Honestly, when did you get so affectionate all of a sudden?”

Once he finally makes his way to his house, he opens the door and announces his arrival out loud, “Honey, I’m home--!”

But his clichéd announcement is interrupted with a swift appearance of his wife as Rainbow delivers a firm yet welcoming smooch that hushes him up excluding from the delightful moan that escapes from his preoccupied lips.

After that, Rainbow ends her surprise kiss to her truly astonished husband as she greets him tenderly, “Welcome home, Mustang!”

“…Wow!” he exclaims with a wide, satisfied smile. “If this is how I’m greeted every time I leave for something, then I should do this more often!”

“So, how did it go with the weather team today?”

“It was fine. We just had to add some more clouds into the sky. No big deal.”

“That’s cool I guess. Hey, you must be exhausted right now!” she exaggerates with a toothy smile as she leads him into the living room. “Why don’t you just sit here right and relax for a bit, hmm?”

“I don’t know, Rainbow… I don’t feel that exhausted--!”

Abruptly, his wife interrupts him as she mightily tosses him to a couch in the form of a martial arts throw. With the staggered Mustang lying on his belly, Rainbow slams on top of him before she leans down and whispers into his ear in a stern yet very alluring voice.

“I said… relax~!

But before he can protest, he starts to moan in surprise and eventual delight when Rainbow firmly presses her hooves into his back and rubs him tenderly. As her hooves creating soothing circles around his shoulders, Ford loosens up greatly as he slouches on the couch.

“Ooh… Dashie~! This feels SOOOO Good~!” he praises her with an extremely goofy smile.

“I’m glad that you like it, champ!” she chuckles with a proud grin as she carries on with her work.

“So, Rainbow… does this massage come with a happy ending?” he kids with a clever smirk.

“Maybe~!” she answers shrewdly.

As Ford Mustang unwinds from Rainbow Dash’s extraordinary massage, he suddenly lifts his nose up and sniffs something in the air before asking his personal masseur, “Say… do you smell something?”

Rainbow pauses from her task and also takes a whiff of that aroma before answering, “Yeah, it smells like--! GASP! OH NO!”

From this dreadful realization, she immediately ceases the massage before Ford inquires with concern, “Is something wrong, Rainbow?”

“Nope! Nothing at all!” she reassures with a hasty smile before she gives a quick peck on the cheek. “Just sit tight and I’ll be right back!”

With a quick burst of speed, she races back to the kitchen to verify the situation. From seeing how the vegetable medley is starting to become black, she quickly moves the pan onto one of the unheated eyes and turns off the stove. After that, she looks at her latest culinary creation and sighs in slight disappointment. While the overly cooked vegetables don’t look completely charred, they still bear some black markings on them. Hoping for the best, she transfers the veggies to three plates, including one for Tank. Next, she takes them to the dining room and sets them on the table. And on cue, Ford enters the scene as he is increasingly distraught with worry.

“Okay, Rainbow Dash… what’s going--?!”

He pauses from what he is about to say as he stares with deadpan eyes at what Rainbow has been making while he was away. Eventually, he directs his blank gaze to his wife as she displays a nervous smile for him.

“Umm… surprise!” she addresses awkwardly.

Slowly, the speechless stallion looks back at his dinner plate and then at his wife before he asks in a stammering voice, “Did… did you make all of this… by yourself?”

A bit flabbergasted on how to explain herself, her fears over the failure of a simple dish takes hold before she snaps in frustration, “Yeah, I did, alright?! I just wanted to surprise you with an awesome dinner since you’re usually responsible for all of our meals! You always do such an amazing job with them, that I figured I can return the favor for a change!” And with an extreme grump, she crosses her fore hooves and tries to hide her obviously hurt feelings. “But you know what?! That’s fine! You don’t have to eat it if you really don’t want to! I know that my cooking skills can’t measure up to yours! So I’m not upset whatsoever… I’m not!”

Despite her denial, her emotional eyes fail to hide the tears that are building up as she looks down in great shame. Ford doesn’t say anything in the meantime. He once again looks at his plate before he reaches his decision. Without a word, he grabs a fork with surprisingly skillful dexterity despite no longer having any fingers when he was human, and he picks up a mix of asparagus, peppers, and onions. And without hesitation, he shoves them in his mouth.

Carefully, he chews the tender veggies as he reflects on his opinion. And once he swallows his first bite, he smiles with approval and proceeds to take another bite out of the vegetable medley.

“Mmm! Rainbow, this is really good!” he says with an honest smile.

With pitiful eyes, she looks at him and responds in a sniveling voice, “You’re just saying that to make me feel better!”

“No, I really mean it!” he insists kindheartedly. “Here, give it a try and see it for yourself!”

Following on her husband’s assurance, she turns on her head toward Tank to see what he thinks. To her surprise, the tortoise breaks into an extremely slow smile as he steadily munches on his portion. Then, she looks at her own dish and decides to give it a try herself. From a closer inspection, she takes a couple of sniffs from her plate and verifies that it’s not as over-cooked as she first assumed so. With curiosity taking over her reluctance, she takes a bite of her veggies, and she too smiles with startling satisfaction.

“Hey, you’re right!” she concurs gleefully. “This doesn’t taste that bad at all!”

“See? Told ya!” he responds in a chuckle. “It may be a little burnt on the outside, but in all honesty, it still tastes pretty good! But you know what makes this even tastier?”

“What?”

“Because you made it for me, Dashie!” he explains earnestly. “You took the time and put a lot effort and love into this all just for me. So thank you, Rainbow Dash… for making tonight’s dinner really special this evening.”

From listening to her husband’s usual sentimentality, Rainbow couldn’t take it anymore as a few tears escape from her eyes. Along with that, she also couldn’t help but smile widely as she is glad that her dinner isn’t a total disaster after all.

From suffering from all of these sappy emotions, Rainbow snaps sarcastically with a chuckling smile, “Dang it, Mustang! Why are you the only one to make me cry and happy like this?”

With a sheepish grin, he answers softly, “Because I’m such a romantic fool and you love me for that?”

With another hearty chuckle, she flies to the stallion’s side and gratefully hugs her big, strong Mustang while grinning boldly, “You’re damn right I do!”

Ford wraps his hooves around Rainbow as they carry on with their nice, heartfelt hug. As they embrace one and another, he says to her, “You know, it got me thinking about something. I didn’t realize until now that maybe I’ve been hogging the kitchen all to myself.”

“Hey, that’s not true!” she retorts to set his mind at ease while looking at him. “I’m mostly away whenever I’m on active duty with the Wonderbolts, so I usually don’t cook much for myself! And besides, I love your cooking, Ford! I just wanted to return the favor, that’s all!”

“Well still, since we can spend some more time together, would you… like to help me out with our meals from time to time?”

Rainbow Dash is startled by his offer before she inquires in an unusually bashful manner, “You… really want me to cook with you?”

“Sure." he nods with a smile. “I mean, you taught me on how to fly when we first met, so I would be honored to do something just for you in return.”

The blue mare gives it some thought before she requests in such a soft, cutesy manner, “Can we… start our first lesson with some pancakes tomorrow morning?”

“Of course!”

“With chocolate chips?” she adds with big, pleading, magenta eyes and a growing, hopeful smile.

“Whatever toppings you like!” he giggles with a grin.

With a huge gasp, the ecstatic Rainbow snuggles closely against her stallion as she beams in childish delight, “Then sign me up, coach!”

“And so the Master becomes the Student.” he mutters to himself with a chuckling smile.

After that is settled, Ford, Rainbow, and Tank continue with their meals and eat happily in peace. When they finally finish their medley dishes, Rainbow takes their plates and places them in the sink before returning to her seat.

“So… what’s for dessert?” Ford asks with a sly smirk.

“Umm… well…?”

As she is unable to find the right words regarding with her other surprise dish, she hears a high-pitched, deflating sound from the kitchen. From inspecting this herself, she is shocked to see her two soufflé dishes being less inflated than before. With a heavy sigh, she carries them to the dining room and places one of them right in front of Mustang.

“Ta-daaa~!” she smiles in sarcastic excitement.

“A soufflé, huh?” he verifies casually before he lets out a whistle to showcase his high regard for her. “Wow, Dashie! I’m very impressed! I’ve never expected you to pull off such a gutsy move as making a soufflé this evening!”

With an egotistical smile, she rubs his chest with a fore hoof as she mildly boasts in return, “Clearly, you have once again underestimated my level of awesomeness!”

After they share a good chuckle, they begin to dig into their dessert. After gulping a spoonful of her treat, she surprised by how unsatisfying it is. Sure it’s sweet and has a taste of orange in it, but it isn’t as grand she would expect from such a fancy dessert as this.

Hoping if Ford has the same opinion as hers, she asks of him, “So… what do you think?”

His expression is the same as hers: it shows neither disgust nor satisfaction. But he briefly covers it up with a smile as he hesitantly expresses his opinion without hurting Rainbow’s feelings, “It’s good, but… don’t get my wrong! It has nothing to do with you of course! It’s not as… flavorful as I would expect when it comes to soufflés in general.”

Relieved to hear that from him, she agrees, “Yeah, you’re right… it’s not that fulfilling either.”

They silently stare at their unfinished desserts with mildly disappointed faces, Rainbow Dash especially. All that work she put into such a complex, embellished dessert becomes a complete waste of her time as its taste is nothing but mediocre to them. Luckily, she knows how to remedy that as she eagerly makes a suggestion to Ford, who would no doubt comply on a whim.

“Wanna get some ice cream instead?”

“Definitely!”

----------------------------------------------------------------

During a lovely,orange sunset with purplish-blue clouds in the sky, Ford and Rainbow visit the local ice cream parlor to make up for their sweet-indulging taste buds with some rich, sweet, delicious ice cream. In a large glass bowl, the Pegasi share one of the store’s colossal signature creations: “The Monster’s Cookie Jar.” This monstrous treat is piled up with large scoops of pure vanilla ice cream. It is meshed with lots of toppings including warm, soft cookie dough, gooey fudge brownies, peanut butter cups, multicolored, candy-coated chocolate pieces, and black-and-white cookie sandwich crumbs. And lastly, it is drizzled in hot fudge sauce and topped with dollops of whipped cream.

From the very first bite, Ford and Rainbow are in absolute bliss over their jumbo substitute of their soufflé as they partake on their humongous ice cream together. Half way through their dessert, the continuously smiling mare hardly slows down with each spoonful she gorges for herself. But then, she notices her husband barely touching the other side of their frozen treat as he stares aimlessly at the ground.

“What’s wrong, Mustang? Don’t tell me you had enough already!” she teases lightly.

Once he breaks out of his stupor, Ford chuckles in response, “Oh far from it, Rainbow! It’s just that… well…”

From noticing his hesitation, Rainbow puts her spoon aside so that he gets her undivided attention. “Come on Ford, what’s eating ya?”

Hesitant once again, he then addresses what’s on his mind in a soft tone, “…Have you ever considered on moving closer to the ground?”

A bit speechless at first, she questions him in a shocking manner, “Wait, you better not be suggesting what I think you are suggesting, are you?!”

“What? Oh no, sorry! I should have phrased that better!” he apologizes with a soft giggle. “I meant to say if you ever thought about literally moving our house closer to the ground?”

A bit calmer from that misunderstanding, she ponders on that idea before she answers very frankly, “Hmm… no. Can’t say that I have.”

“Oh, okay.” he mutter with mild disappointment.

“Hey, hold on!” she retorts before explaining herself. “Just because I never gave much thought about in the first place, doesn’t mean I wouldn’t show any interest at all! Now come on, what’s up?”

“Well… I just figure that it would be better if we move our cloudhouse closer to the ground so we can stay more in touch with the rest of our friends, that’s all.”

“Oh come on, Ford!” she dismisses with a carefree chuckle. “We’re not that detached from our friends just because we live among the clouds!”

“Oh really?” he challenges that claim with a smirk. “Name one visitor the last time he or she came to our house that wasn’t a flyer!”

She flusters while trying to come up with an answer. “Oh well… there’s--!”

“Except Pinkie Pie!” he adds sharply.

After grumbling to herself from the dismissal of using her pink-haired friend as a suitable answer, she humbly admits her defeat with a casual smile, “Fine. You got me there. But moving our house seems like a lot of a hassle to just receive more friendly visits. I mean, lots of them would have to imbue with Cloudwalking Spells in order for that to happen.”

"Well actually, it’s not our friends that I’m mostly concern about.” he responds in a soft, more solemn tone. “It’s mainly about our foal.”

Her eyes widen from the mention of their baby as she inquires in a similar manner, “Like what?”

“Like… what if our baby is born as an Earth Pony or a Unicorn instead of a Pegasus? Then he or she can’t live with us unless we apply a Cloudwalking Spell on a daily basis. And even if our first kid is a Pegasus, what if our foal can’t fly just yet and we are unable to pick it up from school? Or even worse, what if our little guy somehow falls of the edge and is unable to fly at all? I know I’m probably worrying for nothing, but I just want to make sure that our baby will be safe and happy once we bring it into our home.”

While the apprehensive stallion trembles subtly from bring this up, Rainbow silently processes on Mustang’s statement as she looks down at her slightly bulgy belly. Instinctively, she rubs it with a delicate fore hoof to not only give her unborn foal some motherly comfort, but in some ways to reach out to her little one on what’s best for him or her. After contemplating this for a short period of time, she looks back at her husband and bears a soft smile while sharing something interesting in mind.

“You know… there is a way to make our entire cloudhouse more stable enough for even non-Pegasi without them falling right through the clouds.”

Ford is amazed to hear this tidbit of information as he inquires with a growing smile, “There is?”

“Yeah totally. Of course, it’s going to take a lot of time for our house to be renovated, and not to mention a lot of bits from the amount of help we have to hire.” she informs with more solemn expression and tone.

From hearing her firm response, he assumes that it will be her objection as he replies in slight dismay, “Oh… I see.”

Suddenly, she breaks into a soft giggle while shaking her head before displaying a more pleasant smile as she adds, “But… I think it’s a worthwhile investment if this will be what’s best for our little tyke someday.”

Shocked to hear her changing her mind like that, he responds in a shocked manner, “R-really? You really mean that?”

“Of course I do, Ford.” she nods with loving earnestness. “And I’m glad that you’re the one to give this some thought as well as sharing this with me. Tomorrow, I’ll make some contacts with our contractors so we can begin renovations right away.”

After being speechless momentarily, Mustang breaks into a large, appreciative smile, and he slides closer to Rainbow Dash before giving her a short yet very affectionate kiss for her. “Thanks, Dashie. I really appreciate that.”

With a small, blushing giggle, she coolly replies, “No problem, Ford. But once they get started, we need to crash somewhere in the meantime. It could take up to a month before it’s finally done.”

Once he gives it some thought on temporary housing, he then offers his two bits. “Hmm… I doubt the Apple Family would have any room in their house, considering that Fluttershy and Rarity live there right now. How about the Golden Oaks Library instead?”

“Yeah, that’s sound good.” she nods with approval. “Let’s be sure to ask for Twilight’s permission just in case.”

With a determined grin, he gives a quick salute to her. “I’ll take care of it first thing tomorrow morning!”

After that, they carry on with the demolition of the unfinished, cookie-and-candy-flavored mountain of ice cream. While greatly indulging on what’s left of their massive treat, an extraordinary idea crosses Rainbow Dash’s mind. Something that may have to do with special somepony’s birthday in mind! And she knows just what to do when she contacts the renovators tomorrow morning!

Author's Note:

Regarding with Tank the Tortoise, it is shamefully to say that I didn't think of any good moments for him in the previous stories. So thankfully, I gave him some screen time within each of those little moments of his.

PreviousChapters Next