• Published 6th Feb 2015
  • 8,347 Views, 781 Comments

The Wonderful Life of Ford Mustang - RoyalRainbow



Shortly after their wedding, Ford Mustang and Rainbow Dash have already made plans to have their first foal together. But when he starts to receive terrible visions about his pregnant wife, can he find a way to prevent them from ever coming true?

  • ...
95
 781
 8,347

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 15 – The Phantom Menace

Chapter 15 – The Phantom Menace

From recognizing that unmistakable face of his in the midst of the intense snowstorm, the suddenly livid Ford Mustang sprints forward without hesitation, and he makes a direct tackle toward his dark adversary. In the midst of their tumbling, the unexpected challenger pushes Ford off with a quick kick. From that separation, the Pegasus makes a quick recover in mid-air before landing on all fours and engaging in a heated stare-off with his shadowy opponent. Ford just couldn’t believe it with his own exhausted eyes, but there is no doubt in his trembling heart.

Arrogon the Destroyer has returned!

“Hello, Ford Mustang.” the dark stallion greets ever-so smugly. “Long time no see, eh?” Ford remains silence and still as he keeps his still-attentive glare on the conceited pony. So Arrogon continues in a droll manner, “What’s the matter? You look like you’ve just seen a ghost.”

“Arrogon! How did you survive?” the growling Mustang inquires unfathomably.

“Come now, Ford. Don’t act so surprise.” he responds with a carefree shrug. “I’ve kept myself alive for over 500 years. Did you really think that you can put me down that easily?”

“Then I’ll just have to make doubly sure that you stay down for good!” Ford declares in a snarl.

“Oh really?” he remarks with amusement. “You think you can take me on right now? Your friends won’t be able to save you this time you know.”

“Neither will your captive gods in that stupid amulet of yours.” the Pegasus taunts right back.

Surprising enough, Arrogon takes no offense to Ford’s witty retort as he lets out a faint chuckle before saying in a casual manner, “Well, I guess we’re both evenly matched then, huh?”

“Not for long.”

And after his determined declaration, Ford charges forward once again and prepares to unleash one of his earth-shattering punches. But as he lets his almighty fore hoof loose, Arrogon does the same and their hardened hooves come into contact where they create a massive shockwave that knocks the surrounding snowflakes several feet away from them.

Once the falling snow resumes its intensity, Ford throws another punch at Arrogon, but the confident villain dodges the next one with ease. Following up on that, the blue-haired stallion pulls off a combo of swift kicks and punches, but with each attempted strike, the dark Earth Pony evades them all in unusual gracefulness. From Ford’s latest kick, Arrogon blocks it this time with his firm, left foreleg. And with the Pegasus being caught off-guard by his failed attacks, the Destroyer delivers a powerful kick to the gut, and it propels Ford far away before he plummets right into the thick snow.

As Mustang gets up from the first strike he just received, Arrogon openly taunts him, “Hmph! Pathetic! Look at you! You’ve really let yourself go, haven’t you? You have all of this power, and you’re already out of practice! I can’t even imagine how you will be able to protect those wretched friends of yours in your current, pitiful state… especially that pretty, little wife of yours!”

“What did you say…?” he says in a quiet, staggered tone as his troubled eyes swell up to their extreme limits.

“Oh yes… I’ve kept a very close eye on you.” Arrogon confirms in sickening delight. “And I know everything that has been going on with that ‘perfect’ married life of yours. Including Rainbow Dash’s grim predicament.”

Unable to comprehend all of this, the thunderstruck Mustang asks in skepticism, “H-how?! How could you possibly know that?!”

“Silly pony.” And in an incredible burst of speed, Arrogon darts forward and give a swift punch to Ford’s jaw as he continues his grim dialogue while the staggered pony loses his balance. “I am the thing that keeps you up at night.” Then, he delivers another punch, which slams Mustang into the snowy ground hard. “The evil that haunts every dark corner of your mind.” he carries on melodramatically as he lifts Ford off the ground with his levitating magic before he leans forward and finishes his speech in a sinister whisper. “I will never rest, and neither will you.”

In the midst of the pummeling, Ford starts to recall those nightmarish visions he’s been having for over a month. And with the unforeseen return of his most hated enemy, a new, terrible thought comes to mind as he believe to have found the last link to his ongoing conundrum.

Once he comes to from his inner thoughts, he snaps into action and bashes Arrogon’s skull with a fore hoof, which frees him from the ex-tyrant’s magical grasp. While Arrogon lies on the ground, Ford screeches at him with so much fury in his voice, “It was you all along, wasn’t it?! You’re the one responsible for all of this! What did you do?!”

As Arrogon sits there in a strangely casual position, he cackles in a spontaneous manner as his reluctance to reply gets on Ford’s nerves increasingly. “Answer me, Arrogon! What have you done to her?!”

But instead of a response, Arrogon’s cackling turns into that menacingly loud laughter. Failing to see on what’s so funny regarding with his adversary’s dark sense of humor, Ford has all he can take, and he lets out a tremendous breath of fire as the golden flames engulf the laughing demon completely. However, the Destroyer leaps out of the blaze with his newly conjured, fiery wings like a bat out of hell and pounces on the opposing stallion.

After Ford kicks him up in the air, Arrogon maintains a steady attitude and attacks from above with his own fiery blasts. Nimbly, Mustang dodges the first breath attack with a dive and roll, and he too takes the ongoing fight into the skies with his own pair of wings. From there, their battle literally becomes a firefight as they light up their densely hazy sky with their opposing fire-breathing techniques. Nimbly, they counter each other’s attacks with their evasive maneuvers and strong hits, and their respective energy missiles scatter across the mountains where they explode upon contact.

From releasing so much Draconian Magic without keeping himself in check, Ford quickly lands on the side of a nearby mountain as Arrogon follow suit by landing a cliff close by. From their positions, Arrogon looks down on his strenuous opponent as he asks in mocking concern, “Are you alright there? You look like you could use a break.”

As he pants greatly to catch his breath and energy, Ford manages to stand firm and he retorts assuredly, “I’m going to end this, once and for all! And then you will never be a threat to Rainbow Dash ever again!”

“Aahhh… but that’s the beauty of it!” Arrogon counters with twisted enjoyment. “I didn’t need to lay a single fore hoof on her myself! And why would I need to when you’ve already done that for me?”

“…What?”

“Think about it, Ford.” he continues his explanation in his usual smugness. “You and I possess the might of the dragons. With such dangerous magic in tow, you didn’t expect that things will go wrong during Rainbow Dash’s conception, did you? Don’t you see? You are the one who brought this on her yourself!”

Ford isn’t sure if he can trust Arrogon’s twisted words, and unfortunately for him, the slithering statement is getting the best of him as it begins to sink into his conflicting soul. “N-n-no… no… no! That’s not true!” he denials in desperation. “My Draconian Magic would never do that her!”

“Deny it if you wish.” Arrogon shrugs nonchalantly. “It won’t change anything. Everything has already been set in motion, thanks to you, of course.” Then, he snickers to himself as he continues in despicable glee, “It’s quite funny, isn’t it? You seek to save the one you hold so dear, yet in the end, you will literally be the death of her! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

As Arrogon carries on with her diabolical laughter, Ford is completely shook up before his unbridled anger takes hold of him, and he knocks the dark pony off the edge of his cliff with a monstrous dragon’s roar. With the Destroyer propelled into the air, Mustang pursues his target and plunges his forelegs deep into Arrogon’s chest. And after giving himself enough space in the stormy sky before making a sharp turn around, Ford pushes himself to the extreme by increasing his speed into overdrive, and he manages to pull off his second Sonic Rainboom on the same night.

KA-BOOM!!

With Arrogon stuck in the driver’s seat, Ford forcefully shoves the demonic stallion right into a mountainside as the immeasurable might of the Sonic Rainboom allows him to drive the villain all the way through until they burst out of the other side of the mountain. Once they come closer to the ground, Ford slings Arrogon forward with his monstrous, rage-fueled strength and slides across the snow in the midst of landing while the ex-tyrant severely tumbles across the uneven surface like a flimsy ragdoll.

With the Destroyer down for the moment, the incredibly tiring Mustang calls out to his fallen opponent, “I don’t care what you say, Arrogon! I will save Rainbow Dash! Whatever it takes!”

“Hmph… whatever it takes, eh?” Arrogon replies sarcastically as he steadily gets himself up. “Even if you have to go up against your precious rulers, like what you almost did to Princess Celestia a couple of weeks ago?”

“What…? N-no!” he rejects frantically from that reminder. “I would never do that to the Princesses, nor anyone else!”

“ So you say.” he chuckles deviously as he slowly walks toward the deeply disoriented Pegasus while he continues to speak more maliciously. “It seems we have more in common than you realize. Whether it’s to seek ultimate power or to save a loved one, we both will go to such extreme lengths to achieve our goals, won’t we? As they say: the ends justify the means, right?” And once he is inches away from Ford’s unsettled face, Arrogon caps it all off by rubbing it right in front of him. “Face it, Ford. We’re simply two sides of the same coin. And in due time, you become just… like… ME!

And as he enunciates his last word, Arrogon swiftly changes his appearance through a flash of blue fire, which completely snaps Mustang out of his bewilderment, and he immediately takes a step back. But once the demonic flames die down, Ford’s eyes shot wide-open as he stares in disbelief on what is standing before him.

It was mirrored version of himself with the most wicked eyes imagined and a very psychotic grin plastered on his face.

While the real Ford remains completely frozen in fear, confusion, and uncertainty, the twisted variation of himself starts to laugh like a maniac as its malicious laughter echoes across the mountain range. As the Bad Mustang carries on with his ruthless hilarity, Ford shakes tremendously as he could barely contain his indescribable hatred at the unrelenting instigator. And probably for the first time in his life, he simply lost it.

“SHUT UP!!”

Upon his explosive outburst, Ford knocks his twisted doppelganger with a powerful punch, which thankfully ceased his sinister snickering, and Arrogon loses the disguise while he harshly slides across the frigid snow. But as he gets himself up in an abnormal way, Arrogon resumes his masquerade and stares at Ford with pupil-shrunken eyes that signify his sickening joy while also bearing that disgusting smile of his.

As the absolutely livid Mustang stomps toward him, the sadistic imitator simply laughs off the presumed pain as he goads him without end, “Yes, that’s it, Ford! Let it all out! It feels good, doesn’t it? This power! Show me more of that wonderful wrath of yours! Give in to the fury!”

“SHUT! UP!”

And once again, Ford knocks Arrogon down with another rage-intensified punch to the head as it disrupts the antagonist’s mocking disguise again. The impact from where the Destroyer hits the ground creates a nicely sized crater as it demonstrated the Pegasus’ unrestrained power. As he stands on top of the vile villain, Ford starts to literally beat himself up in a very crude manner.

“I am not like you!”

POW!

“I wouldn’t be like you!”

POW!

“I will never be like you!”

POW!

From each ruthless hit he received, Arrogon loses his disguise momentarily before regaining in a fraction of a second. This only causes Ford keep on pummeling him even further in an increasingly rapid rate. Hit after hit, the breaks between each punch become shorter as the forms of Arrogon and the evil version of Ford look like they are merging into a one hideous being. Either way, this did not stop the wild stallion as he seeks to wipe that smug pony from the face of this world.

However, something did rein Ford’s wrath as he hears a raspy yet familiar voice, “Mustang… stop.”

From hearing that feminine outcry, Ford pauses from releasing his next punch once he catches a glimpse at who he is about to strike next. Instead of Arrogon or an evil version of himself, it is the one pony whom he holds so dear… the one pony who would be the last thing he would ever want to hurt… Rainbow Dash.

Freezing in place, Ford stares down with immense horror and fear at his beloved wife, who lies on the frozen ground and looks completely injured. The knife in his heart twists even further when the utterly frightened mare locks her pitiful, teary gaze with his as she convincingly pleads to him in soft, trembling voice.

“Why? Why are you doing this to me? You’re hurting me.”

Ford tries to ignore the hurt expression on that heart-wrenching face of hers. He tries to convince himself that it’s just one of Arrogon’s illusions to play with his emotions. He tries to remind himself that the real Rainbow Dash is among with her friends and is safe at home. He just needs to look past that convincing façade and keep on pounding the Destroyer until he is no more.

But… he didn’t. He just couldn’t do that to Rainbow, illusion or no illusion.

Defeated and completely distraught, he steps away in an unstable manner and drops on all four legs before weeping in self-pity and misery on all that is plaguing him, begging that this nightmare will finally go away and leave him be. As Mustang sobs to himself, the fake Rainbow Dash gets herself up casually as she finally drops the act, knowing that her deception was a complete success, and that he, Arrogon, is the true victor of their rematch.

“All too easy.” the false mare addresses to the broken stallion with the repulsive voice of Arrogon. “No matter what you do, you will fail to save her. Her inevitable death will lead you to plummet into your own turmoil and despair, and it’s all… your… fault.”

Taking a break from his sobbing, Ford hears some haunting chanting from his surroundings, and he takes a moment to verify on where that eerie unison is coming from. One by one, many of his pony friends step from the dense haze of the blurry snowstorm as they slowly walk toward the startled Pegasus. Every one of them expresses complete disappointment, probably to indict Ford’s failure from preventing Rainbow Dash’s foreseen demise. The scowling ponies continue their steady march as they encircle Ford like a pack of wolves closing in for the kill whilst they carry on with their creepy chanting.

“It’s your fault… your fault… your fault... your fault… your fault.”

As they repeat the same words over and over again, the glaring eyes of the phony ponies are gradually lit ablaze as they share the same demonic, fiery gazes at their dark puppet master. Ford tries to ignore the scornful company by shielding his eyes and clamping down his ears, but the repetitive chanting keeps getting louder and louder. Unable to bear it any longer, Ford lets out a tremendous outcry as he impulsively unleashes an enormous, wide-ranged dragon’s roar.

“STOP IT!!”

The powerful outburst knocks the wind out of the magical doppelgangers as they all fall down simultaneously. From catching his breath, Ford gasps in silence at the appalling scene of his fallen friends as he contemplates on what he has done in the midst of his unsettled mind. As Mustang continues to gaze at the scene with immense dread over his actions, the magical doppelgangers disappear one at a time in a burst of dark, blue fire.

The only pony remaining besides the distressed Mustang is the twisted copy of himself as he gets himself up before dismissing his disguise and revealing his true self, Arrogon the Destroyer, the very pony responsible for all of this madness. Renewed with unbridled anger, he has all he can take from the arrogant deceiver, and the Pegasus charges head-on to confront his adversary… one last time.

Suddenly, a colossal creature dives in between the two challengers as the quaking impact splatters lots of snow that showers over the shook-up Mustang. After he quickly brushes off the excess snow, Ford narrows his eyes at the large, winged shadow to get a better idea on who the intruder’s identity. Gradually, the Pegasus notices some familiar features on this gargantuan creature: bulky body frame, rough, armor-like scales, dark red coloring, broad spiky jaw, and glowing, green eyes. This is the very dragon Ford’s been looking for: Wagner the Inferno Dragon King.

“W-W-Wagner?!” he exclaims in overwhelming shock.

“Geez, all this ruckus from just one little pony!” the scarlet dragon grumps in usual fashion.

“Wagner, thank goodness you’re here! It’s Arrogon! He’s back, and he’s right over there!”

After the Pegasus points it out with a shaky foreleg, Wagner turns to his head to see what Ford is pointing out. To Mustang’s confusion, the elder dragon hasn’t fidget from his spot as he frantically keeps shifting between his scaly friend and the motionless Destroyer. Finally, Wagner twists his head to face the edgy pony as he bears a blank look on his face before sharing his startling statement to him.

“Ford… I don’t know how to tell you this, but he’s not there.”

The apprehensive stallion takes a moment to blink his bloodshot eyes in disbelief before he scolds at Wagner, “What are you talking about?! Can’t you see him?! He’s right behind you!”

“FORD, LISTEN TO ME!” he commands in a booming voice before he restates himself as gently as possible. “There is no Arrogon. And he’s long gone from this world.”

But he’s right there! How can you even say that?!”

“I’ll show you. Close your eyes, Ford.”

“But if I do, Arrogon will--!”

“Forget about him! Trust me, he won’t interfere. I'll make sure of that. Now close your eyes.”

Hesitant at first, Ford decides to follow on Wagner’s advice and he gradually close his eyes. Once they are shut, the Inferno Dragon King carries on with his guidance in a surprising soothing manner similar to their deceased dragon friend, Hindel.

“Clear your mind, let go of your fears, and allow yourself to see your surroundings through your mind’s eye, just like Hindel has taught you.”

Recalling his days from Hindel’s training in the Everfree Forest, Ford practices his steady breathing as he finds some peace within the tranquil darkness of his mind. Eventually, he starts to see the glowing sources of energy painting his mental canvas. First, he sees his own golden aura shaping his body. Then he sees Wagner’s form, which is composed of his bright, red Draconian Magic. And finally, his energy field perception reaches to Arrogon’s stationary position.

But once Ford sees Arrogon through this unique form of sight, he notices something entirely different than the Arrogon he faced nearly half of a year ago. One incredible difference is that the villain does not possess his overwhelming aura of dark blue magic. Instead, it has a smaller glow of purple-colored energy. And not only that, but it’s not shaped like a pony at all; it just bears a ghostly form in its place.

“Now tell me, do you still see Arrogon?” asks Wagner.

“N-no…” Ford flabbergasts from his incredulity. “This aura… it’s definitely not his.”

“Good, now open your eyes and see the imposter for what it truly is.”

Once he opens his eyes, Ford is amazed to see Arrogon still standing in place. But knowing what he saw through this second sight he was taught by the All-Seeing Dragon, he is fairly certain that this can’t be the same Arrogon that is standing before him. With his mind finally able to see the truth of this whole charade, the very last illusion begins to fade away as Ford bears witness to the reveal of this pretender. With its final delusion disappearing like a evaporating steam, it finally shows it true, ghastly form: a floating, specter-like creature with a black, intangible body and big , glowing, purple eyes.

“What is that thing?!” Ford asks in complete bafflement.

"A Dream Eater.” Wagner explains. “A nasty, little sprite that feeds on energy from victims that are asleep or extremely fatigued. They do this by giving you nightmares or creating illusions to make it easier to absorb the psychic energy.”

As Ford flabbergasts on how he could have mistaken Arrogon for such a small, abnormal creature, the Dream Eater bobbles energetically as it takes pride and snickers in a high-pitched, childish manner from not only getting his fill of the pony’s succulent energy, but from also taking twisted joy over the success of its deception.

Annoyed by the dark sprite’s obnoxiousness, Wagner snorts out a large burst of fire at the snickering fiend, which jumps back in alarm, and the gruff dragon warms it very sternly, “Begone, you filthy parasite, lest I snuff you out myself!”

With no illusions to save it out of this one, the Dream Eater takes heed to Wagner’s warning, and it yips away in fright while it hovers away at incredible speed before it disappears within the dense haze of the ongoing storm.

With the Dream Eater out of sight, Wagner turns back to his pony friend as he mildly makes fun of him. “You know, I'm quite surprised that you would fall prey to such a pitiful creature. I thought Hindel trained you better than that.”

“Thank you, Wagner.” he says with a tiny, grateful smile. “But how did you find me in this awful snowstorm?”

“Well, someone was causing so much uproar that it was enough disturb my hibernation. So I made it my duty to investigate this so I can resume my sleep and to ensure the safety of my clan. Who would think that you out of all things in this world would be the one to disturb my slumber though?”

“S-sorry, Wagner.” he apologizes timidly. “But you see… I came all this way to seek your help on something. It’s imperative that I talk to you.”

Wagner eyes at the shivering Mustang for just a bit longer before he lets out a soft sigh and comply with his request, “Well, let’s get this over with. But first, let’s find a proper cave to get ourselves warm.” And he evidently points it out with an immense shiver coursing through this massive body. “Brr! Dragons aren’t built for this kind of cold weather, you know.”

----------------------------------------------------------------

Back in Ponyville…

Sometime later, Rainbow Dash begins to calm down a bit from her endless crying as the lamenting Pegasus lays her head on Twilight Sparkle’s lap, the only friend present at this time to serve as Dash’s means for comfort and sympathy. As Rainbow snivels lightly, she feels the gentle brushing from Twilight, who uses her fore hoof to stroke the multicolored mane. Eventually, Dash speaks up to the attentive Alicorn through her constant sniffling.

“I… I knew something was up, Twilight. I knew there was something going on with him. But I thought if I was patience enough, he would tell me all about it. Why won't he just tell me? Doesn’t he trust me at all? I thought I matter to him!”

“You do matter to him, Rainbow Dash.” Twilight responds cooingly. “More than you will ever know.”

Then, Rainbow looks up and fixates her big, tearful gaze at her purple friend as they were practically begging for more words of comfort, or the very least, some answers on what’s been going on with Ford all this time. Unable to tell Rainbow everything on what she knows as it would just break her heart to reveal the potential tragedy that may come in the near future, the young princess uneasily reassures the beseeching mare as best as she can.

“Look… I know I can’t… provide all of the details on what’s been going on, but I can assure you, he thinks this whole world about you. He loves you, Rainbow, and he would anything to keep you and your foals safe and happy.”

At last, a tiny smile breaks through on Dash’s grief-stricken face before she replies in a weak chuckle, “I would be even happier if he were here right now so I can hug him first and then strangle him for leaving me like this! Gah, why am I this emotional at a time like this? Stupid pregnancy hormones.” she grumbles to herself as Twilight giggles lightly on seeing her friend being more expressive than just being sad all-night long.

“I just… can’t believe it!” she continues her sulking. “He promised me… he Pinkie Promised that he would be here by the time I get back! And he went up and broke that promise!”

Unexpectedly, the door to the cloudhouse is swung wide-open. And as Rainbow and Twilight lift up to their heads in alarm to see who it is, to their surprise however, a suddenly fuming Pinkie Pie darts into the living room, and she screeches in demand to her two best friends, “He did WHAT?!”

A bit startled by Pinkie’s sudden appearance, Rainbow repeats herself softly. “Umm… well… Ford Pinkie Promised that he would be here by the time I get back, but he’s not here and--!

“Oh no! No-no-no-no-no-no-no!” the pink mare irritably interrupts her friend’s confirmation as she stomps around the room in circles while letting out her personal aggravation over this heinous transgression towards a sacred oath among friends, “It’s one thing to break a Pinkie Promise, but to break a Pinkie Promise to his own wife, that’s--!” But she couldn’t finish sentence as she literally turns red in the face while her pupil-shrunken eyes twitch like mad as Rainbow and Twilight stare at their animated friend with bewilderment and worry over Pinkie’s reaction.

Without blowing her top off, the Earth Pony twists her whole body around and faces Rainbow Dash before she determinedly swears to her, “Well don’t you worry, Dashie! I see to it that he will live up to that promise no matter what!”

“But how?” Twilight interjects in puzzlement. “We have no idea on where he is right now!”

Pinkie Pie narrows her eyes, rubs her chin slowly, and exaggeratedly hums to herself before an idea comes to mind. “Hang on! Give me a sec!”

With her muzzle glued to the cloudy floor covering, Pinkie begins to act like a dog as she rapidly sniffs around the room in a hasty pace. A bit distracted by their friend’s strange yet expected behavior, Twilight and Rainbow are caught by surprise when the sleuthing Pinkie Pie pops behind the couch. Her sniffing continues as her curious nose explores Rainbow Dash, much to her confusion and discomfort. First her coat, then her wings, and lastly her colorful mane.

Once she locks onto the scent she was looking for, the perky Pinkie Pie leaps over the couch and her friends before she maintains a cartoonish pose of a pointer dog before announcing out loud, “Ah-ha! I got it! Be right back!”

And before her two friends have time to response, Pinkie Pie leaps into action as she bolts out of the floating house and springs off the edge like she is jumping off a diving board with such poise and control. Defying all physics as usual, the Earth Pony dives right into the thick snow, and she speedily burrows up north while leaving an expansive trail behind. From the entry hole, the rest of the friends from Rainbow’s foal shower, who have just arrived outside of the ramped cloudhouse, stare speechlessly at Pinkie’s latest antics.

Breaking the awkward silence first, Gilda just has to state the obvious, “Did Pinkie Pie just dig into the ground?”

“Eeyup.” Applejack answers simply with a nod and casual smile.

Baffled as ever on what she just witnessed, the wide-eyed griffon inquires even further, “How?”

“Trust us, darling.” Rarity implores with a knowing grin. “It’s best to not ask and just simply accept her for who she is.”

Realizing that some things are best left unexplained, Gilda breaks into an amusing smirk in response, “Rrrrright.”

----------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, in the Talos Mountains region, Ford Mustang and Wagner find a suitable, unoccupied cave nearby to carry on their conversations, one that is big enough for the scarlet dragon’s monstrous size. After they sit themselves down, Wagner arranges a ring of small stones before he ignites the center with a big burst of his red fire.

After their indoor campfire is setup, Wagner insists to the shivering pony, “Here. Eat this fire. It will help you warm up a bit.”

Seeing how he has been out of the cold for far too long, Ford nods in a shaky manner before he closes his eyes and concentrates. Calmly, he breathes in and out in a steady manner as the crackling flames gradually draw towards the stallion before they are absorbed into his skin. As the gentle flames enter his body, Ford can fill the incredible warmth of that familiar draconian fire as it completely warms him right up.

“Better?” the dragon asks.

“Ahh… much better.” Ford nods with a smile of relief. “Thank you.”

“Now then, why are you all the way out here in the middle of an ongoing blizzard? If you wanted to see me, you could have waited until winter was over just to save both of us the trouble.”

From detecting the dragon’s subtle grumpiness, Ford follows it up by saying in a timid, edgy manner, “I apologize, Wagner, but I had to see you as soon as possible. I need your help now more than ever! You’re the only one I can turn to at this point!”

“And why would that be?” he inquires with an arched brow.

“Well you see…” Ford explains himself hesitantly. “I’ve been having… these visions… premonitions about my wife. Six or seven months from now, she would give birth to our first two foals. And when that happens… sh-she’ll die.” he stammers from saying something so unpleasant before continuing. “When I first I had them, I simply dismissed them as nightmares that may have been the result of some kind of anxiety or just mere coincidence. But overtime, they kept repeating each and every night, and they kept getting worse and worse!” he dismays as he shakes his head in frustration. “I turned to anypony I can think of back at Equestria, but none of them could help me in my cause! Then, he takes a heavy breath to calm himself down before concluding himself in a very meek manner. “So… that’s why I’m here, Wagner. To seek your aid immediately.”

“I see.” Wagner says very simply.

“And so I was wondering… since I was given these dragon powers from Hindel, is it possible… that I inherited his gift of foresight as well?”

The red dragon takes a moment to think to himself before he can answer Ford’s question, “Yes, I do see that as a distinct possibility.”

“Then it’s just as I feared.” Mustang murmurs with a heavy, disappointing sigh before he proceeds with his next question, “Well then, if that’s the case, could you teach me any Draconian Magic that could save Rainbow Dash’s life?”

Wagner becomes awfully quiet for a minute before he replies more uneasily from answering the next question, “I’m sorry, Ford. But I can not.”

Desperately, he pleads to the supposedly steadfast dragon with all of his might, “Wagner, I’m begging you! I know you forbid to teach any outsiders regarding with your magic, but please just make this an exception for me, and I’ll--!”

“No, Ford. What I meant was…” he restates himself in a cumbersome manner. “…it’s not possible to teach anyone something like that, be it dragon or pony. Though my race prides itself on our extraordinary abilities, not everything can be solved with our magic. Not even revivification. And other than some of my own healers back in the clan, Hindel was the best of them of all, so surely he must have taught you everything there is to know when it comes to healing.”

Thinking back to his former master, most of the things that Hindel has taught Ford when it comes to healing in general was self-regeneration. From Wagner verifying on the dire circumstances on not being able to learn a more powerful Draconian Magic spell, Ford’s dire need to save his wife is fading fast as the realization of his hopeless efforts begin to fill up in his poor-throbbing heart.

“Then… there’s nothing I can do, is there?” the stallion asks in a trembling, melancholy voice.

“I’m sorry, Ford.” Wagner apologizes with pity as he gentle shakes his head. “I wish there was more I can offer. But… the way I see it, for you to receive these visions so early, you could see them both as a curse and as a blessing.”

“How?!” Mustang snaps at the sympathetic dragon. “How is that a blessing knowing that your loved one will die someday?!”

“Because this will give you the opportunity to make the most of the amount of time you have with her.” the dragon replies in a gentle, calm manner. “Not everyone is given an exact date on when their time will come. Life is precious, Ford Mustang. So treasure it and make it count, not just for yourself, but for her as well.”

Ford is a bit surprised by Wagner’s uncanny words of wisdom. He wouldn’t expect that coming from a tough and often ill-tempered dragon like the Inferno Dragon King himself. Still, this does allow Ford to give some careful consideration on what he can do at this pivotal moment.

After contemplating that, he couldn’t help but break into a chuckling smile as he comments to Wagner, “Heh, you know… you’re starting to sound like Hindel now.”

Wagner blinks speechlessly by Ford’s remark when compared to his old, perceptive friend. Nevertheless, he welcomes it as he displays an amusing yet proud grin on his face.

Suddenly, Wagner spots something at the cave’s entrance as he exclaims in shock, “What in the world?!”

Once he turns his head around to see what it is, Ford becomes just as perplexed and shocked as Wagner as they try to verify the unknown intruder at the mouth of the cave. The massive creature is made up of nothing but snow with a vague face featuring two hollow eye sockets and a large gaping mouth. It looks more like a gigantic blob than anything else. And as the snow monster slouches its way into the cave, it surprisingly speaks in a slow, creepy voice that echoes the cavern walls.

“MUSTY WUSTY~!”

From recognizing that one-of-a-kind nickname, the horrified Mustang gulps to himself once he figures out on who is underneath all that snow. “Uh-oh…”

As the abominable snowman inches closer to the modest campfire, the snow that holds itself together begins to melt away. Strangely enough, the snow is melting faster than expected. And in under less than a minute, all of the snow that made up the strange creature evaporates right away which reveals the true source of its literal meltdown: a very infuriated Pinkie Pie, who is so mad that her inexplicable heated body radiates a very hot pink color that causes her to blow intense steam out of her nose and ears.

Once her disguise has melted away, she screams right in front of Ford’s face, You broke your PINKIE PROMISE!!

From her high-pitched, up-close screeching, Ford is knocked on his hindquarters, and in a state of panic, he tries to explain himself, “Wait Pinkie! Listen, I can--!”

“Oh no! Don’t even think you can get weasel your way out of this one!” she immensely scolds him while pressing a hard fore hoof against his chest. “You were expected to be at home by the time Dashie was done with her foal shower! And yet here you are, carrying on a conversation with some big, scary, grumpy dragon when you’re supposed to be to be tending to your wife right now!”

Standing in the middle of the two conversing ponies, the deadpan Wagner mutters to himself over Pinkie’s comment. “I’m… not sure if I should take offense to that or not.”

With renewed, bulging eyes, the groaning stallion smacks his with a firm hoof as he berates himself for his severe lack of punctuality, “Oh no! I lost track of time! I need to get home now!”

Frantically, he gets himself up and prepares his takeoff. Unfortunately, because of his mindboggling battle earlier, he loses most of his strength in his wings, and he quickly crashes onto the hard, cold floor. Noticing his failed launch, Pinkie Pie shifts from anger to worry, and she rushes to the fallen stallion to help him up.

“Hey, what’s the matter, Ford?” she inquires with soft tenderness.

“Sorry, Pinkie.” he staggers weakly. “I’m just too weak to fly right now.”

“Well, as much as I enjoy the idea on having a slumber party in a big, spook cave, we need to get you home fast!”

With a reluctant sigh, Wagner gets himself up and offers his services to them, “Well… since I’m already up, I guess I could offer you two a ride back home then.”

Gasp! Really?” Pinkie squeals in overwhelming delight.

Sigh… yes, really.” he answers in a reluctant grumble.

“Really really?”

“Really really.”

“Really really really--?”

“ENOUGH!” he snaps in a roar. “Do you want a ride or not?!”

“WHEEEEEE!” And with a mighty spring, the cheerful, pink pony jumps on top of Wagner’s head while the dragon gives Ford a lift up with his claw.

Once his Equestrian passengers are secured, the grouchy dragon warns them sternly, “But you ponies better not tell this to anyone! Got it?! I’m only making this as an exception for you two!”

“Don’t you worry your pretty, scaly head.” she reassures him with a carefree smile and a pat on his head. “I Pinkie Promise to not tell this to anyone. Now let’s fly!”

With everything set, the Inferno Dragon King leaves the cave and muscles through the ongoing snowstorm before he makes a grand takeoff. As they leave the vast region of the Talos Mountains, the weather gradually shifts to a calmer manner. With the ride now becoming nice and smooth from here on out, Pinkie Pie takes this opportunity to suggest a favorite activity in mind.

“So… who wants to do a sing-along~?”

Extremely annoyed by that silly suggestion from the happy-go-lucky, pink pony, Wagner heavily groans to himself in an aggravated growl, “By the gods, what did I get myself into?”

----------------------------------------------------------------

Back in Ponyville, the remaining friends from this evening's foal shower party are hanging outside of Rainbow Dash’s house as they wait for answers regarding with stressful situation involving Rainbow Dash. The only one that is missing amongst the company is Fluttershy, who is with Twilight Sparkle at the moment to ease some of Rainbow’s anguish. Eventually, Twilight steps out of the front door and gingerly approaches her friends.

“So how’s Dash holding up?” Spitfire asks concernedly.

Sigh… a bit better I suppose.” she answers with mild uncertainty. “Of course, it’s mostly thanks to Fluttershy in there.”

“Is there anything we can do right now?” Fleetfoot adds.

“Girls, I… think it’s best we just let Rainbow and Ford sort this out themselves.” Twilight replies apprehensively.

“Well where in Equestria can he be?” Octavia asks with a hint of worry.

“Probably with another mare right now.” Gilda suggests bluntly.

At once, all of the mares turn their heads to display unamused glares at the lone griffon for even thinking such a thing. In response, Gilda dismisses their disapproving frowns with a shrug, “Hey, I’m just saying.”

“Gilda, that’s not what’s been going on!” Twilight chastises sharply. “I know that for a fact!”

“Then what is going on here, Twilight?” Applejack questions her sternly. “What is it that you and Ford are not tellin’ us?”

“I… I can’t tell you right now.” she answers uncomfortably as she avoids the farm pony’s hardhearted gaze. “I promised Ford that I won’t reveal this to anypony until the time is right.”

Then, AJ’s wife, Rarity, offers her opinion as modestly as possible. “Well, Rainbow Dash is still pretty distraught as we speak, so now would be a good time to enlighten us, darling.”

From hearing the seamstress’ sensible outlook, Twilight Sparkle takes a moment to reconsider as she looks back at the house where Rainbow is still moping. Seeing how Rainbow is still pre-occupied at the moment, maybe it’s the right time for Twilight to inform her friends about what she and Ford have been going through for Rainbow’s sake. With her mind made up, she lets out a steady breath of air and perhaps to share the grim essentials on Dash’s foredooming fate.

But before she could speak, the Alicorn is cut off abruptly when Applejack asks the group with her ears perk up, “Hey, do y’all hear that?”

Following up on the orange Earth Pony’s vigilance, Vinyl Scratch tilts her head to the source of the noise as she too picks up something with her very sharp ears. “Yeah, it’s coming from up there.”

With Vinyl pointing the direction of the sound with a foreleg, the rest of the girls look up to the dark, moonlit sky as they too hear what sounds like the steady, heavy flapping of wings. Then, they see a dark speck in front of the bright, blue moon. Eventually, the blemish gets bigger as it forms a shape of a large, frightening creature with very expansive wings. The startled ponies have a hard time to figure out the shadow’s silhouette, but Gilda is able to recognize it with wide eyes as she blurts it out loud.

“Wait a second… that’s Wagner!”

As the rest of the mares are completely bamboozled by the Wagner’s sudden appearance, the great, red dragon makes a soft landing on the cloudy surface, and he bows modestly before the astonished ladies.

As most of them recover from their own bewilderment, Octavia looks up and notices a familiar fluff of pink, curly hair sitting up top before she stutters out her perplexity, “And… is that… Pinkie Pie?!”

“Yep! I’m baaack~!” the lively Earth Pony greets to her friends down below before sliding off Wagner’s head and making a perfect, bouncy landing on the cloudy front yard.

Energetic as her pink friend, Vinyl Scratch bounds forward and hugs the party pony as she glees ecstatically with a vibrant grin, “No way! Pinkie Pie! You got to ride a dragon?! Ugh, I’m so jealous!” Then, she approaches the enormous dragon and childishly pleads to a great extent. “Can I have turn, Mr. Wagner, sir? Pleeeeease! I’ll pay whatever you want for just one ride!”

“No!” he refuses in a cranky tone, which earns him a playful whine from the disappointed DJ. “I’ve humiliated myself enough as it is for just one night! Anyway, I’m only here to drop some lost cargo off. And I believe this one belongs to you as well.”

And after he crouches down, Wagner places his head down on the clouds, and the missing stallion carefully gets himself off the bighearted dragon before he lands with a soft plop that nearly makes him lose his footing.

“Hello.” Ford addresses with a weak grin.

“Oh my stars, darling! What in Equestria happened to you?!” Rarity speaks up cooingly as she greets him with a tight embrace before letting him go and getting a better look at him. “Your mane and coat are absolutely dreadful!”

“Yeah, I’ll say!” Gilda adds who is just as taken aback as the rest of the mares. “You look like went through Tartarus and back! What kind of trouble have you gotten yourself into?!”

Ford takes a moment to look at himself. While there are no visible damage on him such as cuts and bruises, his coat looks like an absolute mess considering how ragged his fur is from his so-called battle with the fake Arrogon.

Not wanting to go into any details over what he has encountered, he answers very sheepishly, “I… rather not talk about that.”

“Well ya certainly got a lot to answer for!” Applejack demands sharply as her growling face is inches away from the petrified Mustang. “Rainbow is in there right now, and you seem to be the cause of her recent misgivings! Care to explain yourself, mister?”

From that stern reminder, everyone else stares intensely at Ford as they expect a good explanation from him. Except Twlight Sparkle of course, who stares at the cloudy ground with an ashamed look on her discouraging face.

Noticing how Twilight’s expression is far different than everyone else’s, Ford mildly asks of her, “Twilight, does she know yet?”

“No, not yet.” she answers as she shakes her head delicately. “She wanted to talk to you about that, but you’ve been gone for so long that she’s been completely upset when she found out that you were missing.”

“I see.” he responds quietly as he assumes this would happen at some point despite his best efforts. Leisurely, he turns around to face his dragon friend and offers his soft gratitude to him, “Wagner, thank you for everything this evening. I may not have the answers I was hoping for, but your words certainly gave me a lot to reconsider.”

“Then I’m glad to be of some assistance towards your cause.” he breaks in a welcoming grin before nodding to the grateful stallion. “Farewell, Ford Mustang. May fortune smiles upon your favor.”

And as the red dragon prepares to take flight, Pinkie Pie waves him off with a big smile, “Bye, Wagner! Thanks again for the flight back home!”

“Ughhh… the clan would never let this one down if they even catch wind on how much I’ve degraded myself this day.” he murmurs to himself before he launches into the air and makes the long trek back home.

“Ahhhh… I should do something to cheer up that grumpy face of his.” she pouts briefly before she instantly brightens up with an idea. “Ooo, I know! Maybe I can throw a surprise party for him!”

“Maybe you want to hold on that until spring comes around.” Ford suggests with a sheepish yet meaningful grin. Then, he faces the rest of his friends before apologizing to everyone present. “Girls, I’m sorry for all of this. I really meant to be here by the time the foal shower was over. I just never expected to be back so late.”

“Well… Ah’m just plum grateful that yer back safe and sound.” Applejack ensures with a comforting smile as she hugs him warmly. ”Now Ah’m not gonna ask on what’s been going on between you two, but Ah highly recommend that you sort this whole mess out with your wife. And the sooner, the better. Trust me, Ah know from experience.” she winks with a knowing grin from the last time the two had a heart-to-heart conversation.

Seeing the irony from AJ’s sound advice, he smirks to himself before responding back, “Sigh… Well, I guess there’s no sense from avoiding this anymore. Anyway, thank you all for looking after Rainbow Dash for me. I cannot tell you on how much I appreciate that.”

After one big group hug, Ford says goodbye to everyone and each of them go their separate ways to their respective homes. The only one to stay behind with Ford is Twilight Sparkle.

After a brief silence while Mustang gathers his thoughts on what’s to come, Twilight coyly asks of him, “Ford, are you sure you want to do this?”

In response, Ford takes a moment to inhales deeply before he lets it all out slowly, and he answers with unsettling certainty, “I can’t keep this up any longer, Twilight. I think it’s time I just admit my defeat and fess up already.”

A bit shock to hear such a disheartening tone from him, Twilight manages to bear a small, hopeful smile, and she establishes with confidence, “Well… even if that’s your decision, I’m still going to do all I can for our friend. We still got time until her expected delivery date. Maybe I can find something that can save her before that day arrives.”

With a small smile, Ford commends her, “Then hopefully your luck will turn out better than my own.”

Casually, Twilight walks away to give herself enough space before taking her leave. But Ford stops her as he forgets to say something to her. “Twilight, wait! I… haven’t properly thanked you for all that you’ve done for me. I won’t have gotten this far without you helping me along the way.”

In response to Ford’s humbleness, she smiles tenderly as she says to him, “Of course. Thank you for entrusting me in the first place. It means a lot that you would give so much consideration for her like that.”

“Goodnight, Princess Twilight.” he nods to her.

“Goodnight, Sir Mustang.” she nods right back.

And once they said their goodbyes, Twilight disappears in a flash of bright, purple light to head back to her room in Canterlot. Once the Alicorn is gone, he hovers toward his house and gently opens the door. Peaking around the corner of the living room, Fluttershy spots Ford from outside and immediately flies up to give him a big hug over his return.

“Oh, Ford! Thank goodness!” she states with a grateful smile. “We were so worried that you may not have made it back tonight!”

“Well, I’m here.” he announces amusingly before asking in a lighthearted manner. “So, is it safe to come in yet?”

“Yes, she’s in the living room right now waiting for you.”

“Thanks, Fluttershy.”

But as he is about to say his goodbyes to Fluttershy, she stops him with a foreleg forward. “W-wait! There’s… something I have to say first.”

“Okay…” her arches an eyebrow in uncertainty as he waits for her to speak her mind.

Nervously, she flusters on what she needs to say before she gradually composes herself on what’s to come. “Umm… well… I first want to say… I’m sorry for this.”

“Sorry? For what--?”

SLAP!

In a flash, Ford’s head twists sharply to his right after that unexpected, hard smack to the face. As he slowly readjusts his head to face forward, he could hardly comprehend on what just happened: Fluttershy slapped him. Fluttershy… the most gentle and passive pony imagined… gave him a firm slap right on his left cheek. Granted, he would have expected Rainbow Dash or Applejack to slap for leaving his wife in such disarray while he was gone, but never Fluttershy for that matter.

As the wide-eyed Mustang stares back with a gaping, flabbergasted face, the unyielding Fluttershy, who still has her disciplining fore hoof stretched out, maintains her own unique stare on him. But this teal-colored stare is fairly different than her infamous ones. It didn’t show any anger, but it did show a chilling, commanding expression that mothers would display when scolding their children over their mischief: disappointment.

That… was for leaving Dashie like that.” she emphasizes coldly as she places her striking fore hoof back on the ground with a soft stomp. “And I trust this will never happen ever again.”

Once those simple yet harsh words sink in, Ford collects himself before apologizing in a sincere, considerate manner. “You’re right, Flutteshy. I didn’t live up to my promise earlier, and I swear that I won’t do that to her again.”

Knowing on how Ford is being straightforward from reflecting his actions, Fluttershy immediately shifts to a brighter disposition as she smiles in response, “Good. Then I’m glad we could reach an agreement together.” With all things said, the yellow Pegasus mare walks pass him as she sweetly bids him goodnight. “Well since you’re here now, I better head home as well. Macintosh is probably worried sick about me.”

“Yes well… I certainly don’t want to earn your husband’s wrath as well, that’s for sure.” he chuckles with a hint of fear on Big Mac doing the exact same thing as Fluttershy if he was in her place. Dismissing that dreadful thought, Mustang takes the time to offer his gratitude once again. “Thanks for looking after my wife while I was away, Fluttershy.”

“Of course, sweetie. Have a goodnight, Ford.”

“You too, Fluttershy.”

After seeing the yellow mare off and waving her goodbye, he closes the door quietly and lets out a heavy sigh over how all that has happened since this afternoon. And unfortunately, this hectic night is far from over… not when there is one more thing to take care of.

Grudgingly, he takes off his treasured, colorful scarf with a tiring tug and hangs it over the same hook that he took it off originally. And when he turns around, the first thing he notices in this dark home is Tank the Tortoise as he gazes at his co-owner. Slowly, the hard-shelled pet tilts to his head and points in the direction of the living room, where Rainbow Dash currently at. Knowing on where he needs to be, Ford offers to pat the tortoise for his devotion. But to the stallion’s surprise, Tank snaps his head away to dismiss Ford’s affection, and he retracts his limbs and head so he could retreat to the private sanctum of his big, green shell.

Ford feels hurt by that silent treatment, but he knows that this is what he gets for breaking his promises to Tank and the others, especially Rainbow Dash out of all ponies. He just can’t imagine on how this will all turn out for him once he confronts his distressful wife. However, there is no turning back now, and one way or another, he has to get this over with.

Ashamed and fearful on what’s to come, he walks into the living room like a death row inmate walking to his own execution as he softly calls out to her, “Dashie?”

Once he is able to look Rainbow in the eye, Ford is frozen with fear over her expressive features. She sits upright on one side of the lengthy sofa with her forelegs tightly crossed over each other. Her muzzle displays a heavy scowl that stretches into a semi-perfect downward arc. But nothing can compare to the untold fury that blazes within her unforgiving, magenta eyes along with the countless tears that stained her twisted face.

And after a subtle yet difficult gulp to swallow, he pitifully starts off their inevitable conversion, “H-how was the foal show--?”

“We need to talk… NOW.

Author's Note:

You know, I often wonder if I need to extend the phantom fight scene between Ford and Arrogon in this chapter. Mostly, I was just focusing on their dialogue rather than the action itself. Also, it could have been that I was rushing on this chapter. I mean don't get me wrong, the phantom confrontation plays a important role, but like I said, I can't help but wonder if it needed more in that scene.

I don't know. What do you guys think? Was it fine as it is, or was there more that I should have done?

PreviousChapters Next