• Published 17th Apr 2012
  • 8,574 Views, 544 Comments

The Twilight Zone - Bad Horse



25. Necessary Evil: Lord Tirek will return to wreak havoc on Equestria... when he is needed again.

  • ...
29
 544
 8,574

20. The Mechanical Donkey (Cranky Doodle)


“Well?” Bounder said, grinning gleefully. “Is it creepy, or what?”

It was so dark in the barn I had to stand right next to the thing to make it out. The slits in the rafters cut the moonlight in stripes and laid them across it. I ran my hooves over it in the dark places between the stripes. It looked like a sawhorse wrapped in felt, but I could feel hinges underneath, and thick rubber hoses.

“I don’t get it,” I said, and sneezed in the dusty air. “What is it?”

He smacked my shoulder, hard. “What does it look like, idiot?” He pointed at two long, stiff strips of buckram sticking up from a ball on one end. They looked like ears.

I squinted. They were ears. Donkey ears. Suddenly I saw the whole thing was like one of those dummy ponies in the clothing stores, but all flat lines and sharp angles.

The front legs were long wooden slats that stuck up way past the shoulders. There was a flat yoke across its back, connected to each leg by a hinge. I thought maybe the parts sticking out above the shoulder were wings, but they were too skinny, and anyway I was pretty sure it was supposed to be a donkey. A rubber hose ran up the inside of one leg to the top of the shoulder, then across to the other shoulder, hanging between them like a fat black clothesline, and down the other leg to the floor.

“Why’d you think he never opens the windows?” Bounder said. “He’d die if anypony saw this. Which is why we’re gonna splash a photo of him with it across the front page of the school paper.”

“I don’t think it’s the kinda thing for a school newspaper,” I said.

Bounder narrowed his eyes at me and I flinched.

“Come on,” he said. “He’ll hafta leave town! Or do you like being yelled at every time you speak louder’n a whisper? Every time a ball bounces on his side of the street?”

Well, I sure didn’t. I didn’t know how bad being caught with a thing like that was, or why, but I guessed it couldn’t be worse than that grumpy old donkey deserved. Nopony would miss him.

“He’s a pain in the ass," Bounder said.

“Shut up. You said that like three times already.”

“In the ass,” he said again.

“Wait. How’re you gonna get him in the picture?”

“He comes out here every night before bed.”

Outside, I heard a door slam. Bounder dashed across the floor and disappeared. I stood staring at where he’d vanished.

“Under here, idiot!” he hissed.

I blinked, and saw Bounder crouched in an even darker spot under a wall cabinet. I stuffed myself under it a moment before I heard the barn door slide open and saw the old donkey’s shadow stretched across the floor. Even as a shadow, his wig looked ridiculous.

He shut the door, and everything was dark. I heard him clomp towards us. Beside me, I sensed Bounder lifting the camera.

There was a snap, and a mechanical humming started. Something moved in the strips of moonlight. After a minute, the old donkey started moaning, like maybe he was in pain.

Bounder did his ugly gargle-snigger, real quiet. It gave me a sick feeling. I wanted to call out and warn the old donkey, but I was afraid, of him and Bounder both.

Then the flash blinded me, and I heard Bounder scrambling out and running, and realized I was running too. I groped for the latch in the dark, and then somehow the door was open and we were outside. I ran straight home, stumbling in the dark and startling at shadows.

The next day I passed by the old donkey’s place on my way to school. It was silent. The barn doors were open. I didn’t see anything inside.

I was jumpy all through school, expecting the teacher’s hooves to grab me every time he walked past. Afterwards I met Bounder in the school’s darkroom.

“This’ll be good,” he said, swishing the film under the developing fluid in the red light.

There were two shapes in the picture, facing each other. Soon I could tell which was the real donkey and which was the fake. The fake donkey’s forelegs were lifted up and lying across the real one’s shoulders. The hose between its shoulders that had sagged before was full of air, pushing out on the slats and pushing the forelegs together. They squeezed the old donkey like it was giving him a hug.

Bounder looked at it and said some bad words. I still didn’t get what was so bad about it. Anyway, with the real donkey already gone, we never did run that picture.

Author's Note:

This was in a write-off and took, like, 70th place. I still think it's good, but you won't get it if you sit back and wait for it.