• Published 17th Apr 2012
  • 8,559 Views, 544 Comments

The Twilight Zone - Bad Horse



25. Necessary Evil: Lord Tirek will return to wreak havoc on Equestria... when he is needed again.

  • ...
29
 544
 8,559

15. Worth It (Fluttershy, Twilight)

Flowers adorned every wall and window of Canterlot Castle’s throne room. All the candles were lit, though only for the festivity; bright sun shone through the windows.

On the dais at the front, before the hundreds of ponies who crowded the enormous room, a dozen ponies stood. On one side were Luna, Shining Armor, and Spike. On the other, Twilight, Rarity, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie all stood in a line, facing forward but looking toward the center of the stage. There beneath an arched wreath full of roses and tulips stood Fluttershy, wearing an enormous bouquet behind her ears, and Discord, wearing an even more enormous one behind his.

“If there are any objections to this union,” Celestia said, “speak now, or—”

Sparks exploded across the dais, and a burning white glow bloomed in the space between Discord and Fluttershy. A sudden spiralling wind whipped their manes. Wisps of smoke and ozone spun around the vortex.

“Twilight,” Celestia said with a disapproving frown, “what did I tell you about time-travelling?”

“I didn’t do anything!” Twilight said. “I’m right here! … oh.”

The glowing sphere collapsed on itself with a bang and a flash, and a somewhat-older Twilight stood on the dais.

“I object!” she shouted.

A din arose as the throng of ponies standing before the throne began talking excitedly.

“Called it,” Discord said in a bored voice to nopony in particular.

“I’m so sorry about this, Fluttershy!” the original Twilight said. “I don’t know what I’ll be thinking!”

The new, old Twilight turned urgently to Fluttershy. “Don’t do it, Fluttershy! I’m from the future! This marriage will be a disaster!”

“Hello, Twilight,” Discord said to her. “How thoughtful of you to add a little chaos to my wedding.”

She glared at him as she stepped between him and Fluttershy. Bending toward her, she hissed, “He’ll never grow up! He’ll never be reliable! He’ll break every promise he ever makes!”

“Oh, Twilight,” Fluttershy said. “Surely not every promise.”

Discord bowed to Fluttershy. “I promise to break this promise, my dear.”

“You can’t do this!” Twilight insisted, ignoring him.

“You’re just jealous,” Discord said.

“I am not! In fact, I’m already married to…” Twilight looked away and blushed.

“Yes?” Celestia asked with a smile.

“I’d like the answer to that as well,” Discord said. “Wouldn’t you, Present Twilight?”

“What?” The present Twilight half-flew across the dais and pawed at her future self’s shoulder. “Who? Who am I married to?”

“Well, Twilight?” Celestia asked. “Aren’t you going to answer your own question?”

Future Twilight pulled away from her past self. “You were right,” she confided to Celestia. “Time travel can be incredibly awkward.”

Celestia nodded sympathetically. “Now, you’ve had your say. Twilights, I’m afraid I must ask both of you to step back and make some room for the bride and groom.”

“But… but, you’re not going to let them go through with this again, are you?”

Celestia smiled. “Twilight, what do you suppose would happen if I stopped every pony I thought was making a mistake?”

“I don’t think she’s making a mistake. I know she’s making a mistake!”

Celestia shook her head. “No, Twilight. You only know what’s going to happen.”

Present Twilight led a stunned-looking Future Twilight back to join her in the line of bridesmaids. Celestia looked up and cleared her throat. “It is not often that ponies contemplate the union of marriage with foreknowledge of the future. Consider it carefully before you take your vows.” She leaned closer to Fluttershy. “We aren’t in any hurry here. Take as much time as you want. This day is yours.”

Fluttershy nodded back. She took one step closer to Discord and looked into his eyes. “I promise you, Discord, that every day, I’ll be the best mate for you that I can, and hope”—she glanced at the future Twilight for just a moment—”and hope that will always be enough for you.”

Discord reached out and took her hoof in one claw. “And I promise you, Fluttershy, that every day, I’ll be the best mate for you that I can. And I hope that will always be enough for you.”

“I judge these promises spoken in good faith,” Celestia said. “Do you, Fluttershy, take Discord as your mate?”

“I do,” said Fluttershy.

“No!” future Twilight gasped.

“And do you, Discord, take Fluttershy as yours?”

“Absolutely,” Discord said. “Also: unreservedly, unequivocally, indubitably, and indisputably.”

“I pronounce you pony and draconequus,” Celestia said. “You may now kiss the groom.”

The future Twilight fluttered her wings helplessly. “He’s bent in the bone! He’ll break your heart a hundred times! It’ll all end in tears!”

Fluttershy looked up at Discord and smiled. She stretched her head out and kissed him on the cheek, and the angry glare on his face was washed away by a smile of happy confusion. Then Fluttershy turned back toward Twilight, who was already beginning to fade.

“Oh, Twilight,” she said. “I already knew that.”