• Published 17th Apr 2012
  • 8,577 Views, 544 Comments

The Twilight Zone - Bad Horse



25. Necessary Evil: Lord Tirek will return to wreak havoc on Equestria... when he is needed again.

  • ...
29
 544
 8,577

14. Self-Image (Twilight, Rarity)

The curtains fluttered for several more seconds like startled doves, then settled, and Carousel Boutique was utterly silent. Dust motes still danced crazy spirals in the beam of sunlight shining in through the southern window. Two unicorn mares lay stunned on the floor, one white and slender, with indigo mane and tail; the other, lilac with navy blue.

They rose unsteadily. After their legs stopped shaking, they looked across the room at each other, shook their heads clear, blinked, and looked again, eyes wide, jaws hanging dumbly.

The white mare turned and cautiously approached the enormous mirror dominating one side of the room. Miraculously, it was still intact.

She tilted her head slowly to the left, then to the right. As she studied herself, her slumped shoulders rolled back, pushing her chest out and straightening her neck.

She tossed her head, and sunlight glinted off the royal purple coils of her mane, which each bounced gaily once or twice before falling back into its own perfect place. Her fur glistened like freshly-fallen snow in the sunlight.

She leaned forward and twisted her head coyly toward the mirror. Then she stretched her neck up and tilted her head toward the ceiling, batted her long, dark eyelashes, and raised one eyebrow in a coquettish smirk at the image facing her.

“Twilight!”

The white mare twitched, and jerked her head back to look over her shoulders.

“Hurry up and undo whatever you did before somepony walks in and sees you!” the other mare snorted. “You’re making my body look ridiculous!”

“Heh. Sorry, Rarity!” The white mare grinned apologetically, and her shoulders fell back into a slouch.

She took one last look into the mirror.